Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 852148 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #4260 on: June 15, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
Civil War II was definitely bad.  And largely pointless, except for one thing, which is Spider-Man (Miles) standing over a dead Captain America in D.C.  It was supposed to be a vision from an Inhuman that never happened, but with Secret Empire, well...guess that's the ending.

What has been pretty good in Marvel, despite the absurdity of how it happened (check a page or two back; I summarized it), is Captain America being turned into the number one villain.  The Steve Rogers Captain America books leading up to Secret Empire are worth a read.  I've also been enjoying the Spider-Man and X-Men books lately, because they've been entirely self-contained and are almost being treated like mini-universes.  Looks like they're about to start Secret Empire crossover shit, though.

The other thing that seems to be happening (unless it's some kind of comic book swerve and these guys are from elsewhere) is that characters from the Ultimate universe are coming back.  That universe was destroyed/combined with the 616 universe in Secret Wars, with only Miles and his family/friends seemingly surviving.  But now there's a group of Ultimates popping up (in Ultimates, IIRC, lolol), Jimmy Hudson (Ultimate Wolverine's son) in X-Men Blue, and another Steve Rogers in Secret Empire, wandering around a forest wondering what's going on.  LMAO (and fuck off, Marvel) if they're just going to have Hydra-Cap die or stay full villain and have Ultimate Cap just replace him.  There also may be Ultimate Thor back, but this other Thor is being referred to as "War Thor" and seems to be a different character.

Secret Empire is only on #3, but it already feels like it's just dragging on.  I also hate how it just shows Hydra running America, Inhumans in camps, and mutants on a reservation of sorts, but gives us almost no details on how this takeover happened so easily.  NYC is in some kind of big darkforce bubble, so most superheroes are trapped within, sure, but it's still a head-scratcher how easily this was pulled off. 

I guess I like this series more than Civil War II, but I'm really tired of Marvel crossovers pitting heroes against each other and them just introducing younger rehashes of heroes.  Do something fucking NEW already.

Which, itself, is about as fun to pronounce as "Rural Juror."

Also, I am reading Ellis' Injection and liking it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4262 on: June 15, 2017, 11:41:35 PM »
edit wrong thread
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:01:04 AM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4263 on: June 16, 2017, 05:47:54 AM »
Jail Jail Jail

Tasty

« Reply #4264 on: June 18, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
I hope you like Batman!

The series of Dark Knight one-shots debuts Sept. 20 with Batman: The Red Death #1, by writer Joshua Williamson and artist Carmine Di Giandomenico; followed Sept. 2y by Batman: The Murder Machine #1 by Frank Tieri and Ricardo Federici; Oct. 4 by Batman: The Dawnbreaker #1 by Sam Humphries and Ethan Van Sciver; Oct. 18 by Batman: The Drowned #1, by Dan Abnett and Philip Tan; Oct. 25 by Batman: The Merciless #1, by Peter J. Tomasi and Francis Manapul; Nov. 1 by Batman: The Devastator #1; and Nov. 15 by The Batman Who Laughs. The creative teams for the final two one-shots weren’t revealed.

This is basically DC's big event for the year (Dark Nights: Metal.) Which is apparently a "Crisis-level" event with Batman fucking around with the Cosmic Tuning Fork from Infinite Crisis.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:53:12 PM by Tasty Meat »

Shuri

« Reply #4265 on: June 18, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »
I'm kind of bored right now.

I'm really trying to enjoy "THE FEW", but I still even have to finish issue #2. It seems interesting, but there's something about the art style.. It reminds me a lot of the kind of art style of french comics.. But I don' t know. It's just.. hard to read and follow  :doge

I'm going start catching up on the last 2 Punisher series. I've read issue #1 of one of them and it was super average.

I cancelled my Weapon X sub, I'm not sure why I subbed to that. I knew it would be lame, but eh.

I gotta catch up on Superman, I only read the first few issues, it was a bit too fruity for me.

That super god awful Venom run is finally over, that army dude (Lee Price?) was so lame. At least we got a few amazing variant covers out of that run. Venom #150 was fun in a trashy way. I wonder where they are gonna go with the return of Eddie Brock.

I enjoyed The Rapture #1, Valiant seem to have a lot of interesting stuff coming out. I'm looking forward Kill The Minotaur #1 from Image.

Tasty

« Reply #4266 on: June 18, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
I gotta catch up on Superman, I only read the first few issues, it was a bit too fruity for me.

>:(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4267 on: June 18, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »
Action Comics #1 was a little slow, but once you get past World War II, it really starts picking up.
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4268 on: June 28, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »
Metal is actually looking like it could be pretty cool, apparently Snyder had a much smaller idea in mind and Johns told him to just go nuts with it instead. (Helps that it fills out their schedule and delays the inevitable Watchmen event they have to put together.) Though his talk about how it ties into stuff he did all the way back to Court of the Owls and forward is more like an actual writer who did mention stuff and use it and is now fleshing it out even more given the chance and not Morrison type remember this single line in this one issue 45 years ago well IT MEANS EVERYTHING AND HERE'S A TWENTY PART STORY ABOUT IT which I had to slightly readjust for.

I liked the first issue The Forge. And figuring out who the narrator was one of those fun little contained in a single issue mysteries that doesn't mean anything but was still fun to guess right at.

I also like the new JLA series with Lobo, The Atom, Killer Frost, Vixen and The Ray with Batman as the team. More so than the main Justice League book. Though the first couple issues do way more telling than effectively showing what the premise is supposed to be about. (Though the book does lampshade hang on the whole Lobo aspect at least.) Also, I think they may have caused inadvertently a violent coup and massacre rather than peaceful democratic uprising, it'd be great if the series actually went back and that was what happened like Elite implied happened years ago (I'm talking way pre-New 52, pre-Final Crisis even) in a storyline where the JLA took out some human dictator,  never came back and well, oops.

Also for a book that's counting down with a limited number of issues, The Wild Storm sure is taking its fucking time to have literally anything beyond naming characters happen. Jesus christ Ellis, use your Planetary pacing here or something.

Tasty

« Reply #4269 on: June 28, 2017, 04:09:31 PM »
The Forge was decent.

I wish Snyder would stop caring about Duke though... blandest character since Batwing.

benjipwns

« Reply #4270 on: June 28, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »
remember that time they just randomly changed Batwing from being unique and having a really potentially interesting premise to just being Lucius Fox's son and then everyone just forgot about the whole thing for three years or so

in fairness the good version set in africa did sell like garbage iirc

if you took out all the pages of batman yelling at duke or duke questioning his confidence (when he was the most self-started sidekick since Tim initially) then all-star batman would have like ten pages an issue

Tasty

« Reply #4271 on: June 28, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Haven't even gotten around to ASB, haha. Not really encouraging me there.

benjipwns

« Reply #4272 on: June 28, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
i think he's "quit" and come back like twice in eleven issues

and then randomly in the middle goes out completely on his own and solves a whole case and then bails out bruce

the book itself is not very good, especially after he ends the first story...which is pretty terrible

they're apparently going to change the format on it to larger one shots or something because snyder figured out he didn't really want to do an ongoing book but that's what it turned into
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:33:05 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #4273 on: June 28, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »
though the last issue did have a funny part where the penguin, black mask and great white rescue batman totally out of costume and then make fun of his "crappy bruce wayne disguise" and how he and hush can't get it right at all

plus the new storyline is alfred-centric so hopefully that works out decently before they can the project, since the previous storyline made him look like a shitbag

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4274 on: July 06, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »
Batman finally did it?  I wonder how long it will last  :fbm

Shuri

« Reply #4275 on: July 06, 2017, 11:15:18 PM »
Going to a con tomorrow, and I'm gonna get my old tmnt comic signed by Kevin Eastman  :aah ,

I'll be dropping a bunch of comics at the cgc booth to get them evaluated and then it's on to complete my complete Uncanny X-men, Punisher sets :lawd

I also bought a few blank variants of Captain America, Red Hulk, Old Man Logan and Ghost Rider that I plan on getting customized, without killing my funds.

I also want to find those old Batman Vs Predator comics from back in the days. I remember how my father brought me to this comic shop when I was 11 or so, and then he gave me 20$ (!!) to spend. I was blown the fuck away by the concept of those two colliding in a comic and I ended up buying the first 2 issues. I read them to death, and I was amazed by how gritty it was. Batman getting trashed, my little mind was blown away at the time.  I've lost those comics over the years, so I need a new set.

I secretly love all those Robocop, Terminator, Alien and all the crossover comics. It's my secret confession. All that early '90 comic cheese. I can't get tired of it.

In modern comics news, Kill The Minotaur #1 was ..  ??? Kinda uninteresting. I need to give it a re-read. I had no reactions to it. It's not bad.. But I just don't know if I like the tone of it.

Venom #150 was fun, #151 was eh. I'm just not feeling it. I was just expecting something more epic

I'm thinking about just dropping modern comics altogether. Nothing is keeping me interested anymore.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:28:58 PM by Shuri »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4276 on: July 07, 2017, 01:58:06 AM »
Mile-High withdraws from SDCC for the first time in 44 years:
http://www.milehighcomics.com/newsletter/070517email.html

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4277 on: July 07, 2017, 02:02:35 AM »

Just finished and loved this, although the third act or so is iffy and feels perhaps rushed or underwritten. I love these two as a team (and individually). I wish there was more Moebius stuff readily available in english.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:18:54 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #4278 on: July 07, 2017, 02:44:15 AM »
Injection is so good, I just hope it goes somewhere as fun as the journey is being and isn't a big nothingburger that makes you regret putting up with the delays. May need to just put it in the bank pile to build up in the backlog.

Meanwhile, in the random backlog shelving we have Hitman. No, not Agent 47, but the only comic to surpass like four issues that spun out of DC's horrific and disastrous Bloodlines crossover event in the mid-1990s. It's stupid, but funny stupid. And seems intent on making a superhuman hitman the least absurd part of the comic.

Unfortunately, I read the The Boys already and can tell that was a poorly disguised spiritual sequel to this. One of the main characters in that is almost assuredly supposed to be a version of Tommy.

There's also some crossover with Preacher which he was writing at the same time. Lots of the same themes at work. Garth sure loves his perverted Nazi's.

Oh, and also obviously Punisher. It's probably more accurate to say Hitman/Preacher -> The Punisher/Punisher MAX -> The Boys.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4279 on: July 08, 2017, 04:54:17 AM »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #4280 on: July 08, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
Black Widow does have the hourglass symbol that black widow spiders have though.
WDW

Shuri

« Reply #4281 on: July 11, 2017, 01:43:38 PM »
So what are you guys exciting about these days?

Tasty

« Reply #4282 on: July 11, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
So what are you guys exciting about these days?

Post-Rebirth Superman is still my everything.

Have a couple issue-long backlog of the other stuff I usually read like Batman, Tec, Teen Titans, regular-ass Titans, Nightwing, and Super Sons.

I did read The Flash/Batman: The Button and that was pretty darn cool.

Dark Days: The Forge was an OK prequel thing to the upcoming crossover (Dark Nights: Metal.) I just wish Snyder would give up on Duke, dude is blander than Batwing and that's saying a whole lot. Edit- Already said that further up the page, lol. It still stands.

Doomsday Clock in November tho :aah

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #4283 on: July 13, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
I'm really torn on Scott Snyder. I love some of the stories he's done, like Court of Owls, Death of the Family and Endgame. But other stuff he's done has been shit that requires me to suspend my generous amounts of disbelief well past their breaking point, like the whole concept of Year Zero.

So far Metal has been really good though. We'll see if it stays that way or if it shoots it wad in the buildup. Admittedly, the idea of more evil Batmen doesn't get me excited, but it's been good enough to stay on it for sure.

benjipwns

« Reply #4284 on: July 13, 2017, 10:50:06 PM »
They're Batmen because Batman is the one who followed the path through to and has now tampered with the Metals. If that makes any sense.

Snyder didn't write the diary story right as it's been more filler backstory than a coordinated mystery, but the Joker basically told Jordan this right before he pulled his escape.

The Casting was a lot more hamfisted and dumb than The Forge. I literally lol'd at Wonder Woman giving Bruce a weapon forged by the gods themselves and telling him to not fuck this up, and then like four pages later, he instantly hands it over to Talia of all people and then heads back to the Batcave to fuck this up as much as possible. :lol

IMO, Snyder's best stuff is still with Dick back in The Black Mirror. That James Gordon story. :whew :whoo

benjipwns

« Reply #4285 on: July 13, 2017, 10:52:16 PM »
Actually, the Joker explaining everything about how he got his face back on and stuff was probably a better example of hamfisted Snyder writing for the LCD rather than the fact that it's pretty fucking obvious and didn't need a whole page with a shit load of text devoted to it.

Reminded me of some of All-Star Batman's rehashing the plot up to that point over and over with every issue.

Best part of Metal so far has been the part with the Fortress of Solitude and Mister Miracle. That entire conversation about the existence of the completely absurd vault Bruce somehow constructed, Superman nonchalantly being all like "that's good ol Bruce" with the whole concept and Scott bailing the fuck out out of the universe after he gets a single glimpse of what's happening. :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #4286 on: July 14, 2017, 02:32:13 AM »
He's not writing Batman or Detective Comics, just All-Star Batman and this crossover event.

I've enjoyed what Tom King's (Grayson) been doing in Batman.

Tasty

« Reply #4287 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
Dark Days: The Casting was a whole lotta nothing. Really have no patience for:

- A bunch of narrative bubbles crapping up the page like a Tim Buckley webcomic.
- Two different narrators interweaving.
- Preordained cult gobbledygook in a Batman comic.
- Retcons relating to a character's origins ("The Joker CHOSE Duke OMFG!!!!11" Fuck off.)
- Retcons relating to an entire universe ("Meta-humans come from this weird metal! Get it? META, META-L!" Fuck off.)
- The Joker being "serious."
- Characters being vague as FUCK just to keep "the mystery" up. I have zero patience for shit like "You don't know what's coming but I do!!" "Oh just wait..." "I can't believe they're coming!!" FUCK. OFF.

I thought the previous comic ("Dark Days: The Forge") was OK, but this one definitely jumped the shark. Hype for "Dark Nights: Metal" (fucking stupid names, btw) has been completely deflated. And I like Snyder overall.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4288 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »
- Retcons relating to a character's origins ("The Joker CHOSE Duke OMFG!!!!11" Fuck off.)

wut

- Retcons relating to an entire universe ("Meta-humans come from this weird metal! Get it? META, META-L!" Fuck off.)
:crazy

:dead

I haven't been reading most DC books since this year began.  Now I'm not sure if I want to go back to them.  :doge
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4289 on: July 14, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
Recent Marvel Musings:

-I generally find myself enjoying the books that either have nothing to do with the Secret Empire storyline or haven't gotten there yet.  That storyline is just dragging and dragging and I'm already ready for it to move on and be over with.  I still hate that there's so little backstory behind how it was that Hydra so easily took over everything, how certain heroes turned and joined them, and the mutant nation of "New Tian" (AKA California).

-I do like what's going on in the Spider-Man books.  Amazing recently started the Secret Empire stuff (pre-takeover so far) and it's more fun, because it has been about Otto returning (as The Superior Octopus- basically the Superior Spider-Man back again) and trying to take back Parker Industries, which he started when he was Spider-Man in the Superior books.

-Spider-Men II just started.  The original mini-series, from five years ago, ended with one unanswered question- Peter Parker does a Google Search for "Miles Morales" and finds that there is a 616 counterpart, and looks shocked, but we never find out why.  I thought maybe they just decided to forget about this since they brought Ultimate Spider-Man and co. into the 616 universe, but nope...this issue ends with the 616 Miles being introduced.  He's an older guy, with a scarred face, who appears to be quite wealthy and has been laying low.  There's also a different Taskmaster who pops up from what appears to be another universe, which is interesting since all that stuff is supposed to be gone because of Secret Wars.  Hmm...

-Old Man Logan got a new creative team recently.  I like what they're doing- Logan's wandering around in Canada and suddenly he's fighting the Hulk Gang, the inbred redneck hulks from his timeline.  No idea how they're there, but they're being led by The Maestro, who is the evil older Hulk from another alternate timeline. 

-Over in Weapon X and The Awesome Hulk, it's all about crazy adamantium Terminators trying to take everyone out...and now there's gonna be adamantium boned HULKS coming next.  Insanity!

-I like Jimmy Hudson (Ultimate Wolverine) in X-Men Blue, but...man.  That's Old Man Logan, Wolverine (Laura/X-23), Jimmy, Daken, and Gabby (another Laura clone).  Plus similar characters like Sabertooth (still a good guy) and Lady Deathstrike.  Do we really need so many Wolverines?  :lol

-Still don't care about The Inhumans.  Y'know, I hope that TV miniseries coming soon bombs and that's the end of their push.  It already kind of feels like Marvel gave up on them in the comics.  X-Men >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Inhumass.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4290 on: July 14, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »

wut

:crazy

:dead

I haven't been reading most DC books since this year began.  Now I'm not sure if I want to go back to them.  :doge

Tasty's Law of Comics: Ignore events and pick a creative team you like; if an event actually ends up being good, pick up the trade. ;)

Re:Duke - His whole thing has been his family was randomly laugh gassed by the Joker when he was 16 and so Batman took him in... to do jack shit. Seriously, despite him being around for four(?) years he hasn't been a major player in ANY storyline. Only one that came sorta close was Batman: Endgame. So unlike the other Robins* (grr grumble grumble Jack Drake grumble grumble New 52...), Duke's parents are "around," they're just completely insane. (Think Neville Longbottom.) That's his whole gimmick and it's a pretty lame one at that...

How this all factors into Dark Days: Joker reveals that he infiltrated the hospital the night Duke was born and saw that he had been flagged in the hospital database as "META." So he waited like 16 fucking years before enacting his "grand plan" of gassing his parents. Because... I don't fucking know. The whole "The Joker's crazy! That means everything he does is some kind of fucking plan!" thing was super old even 10 years ago.

Also, hospitals attach the "META" tag to infants because "the flags can only have four letters." What does "META" stand for? "METAL" of course! As in, they have this "Dionysium"/"Nth Metal" in their blood. I can see Snyder talking himself through this as he's writing it:

"Oh my fucking GOD I'm a GENIUS!!" :ego

* Duke is Robin in everything but name and color scheme. They're also setting up Dark Nights as the event where he "finally" gets his superhero name.

Meanwhile, comic book readers: :boring

Shuri

« Reply #4291 on: July 14, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »
Old Man Logan got a new creative team recently.  I like what they're doing- Logan's wandering around in Canada and suddenly he's fighting the Hulk Gang, the inbred redneck hulks from his timeline.  No idea how they're there, but they're being led by The Maestro, who is the evil older Hulk from another alternate timeline. 
I just caught up on my OML backlog, and what a great ride it has been so far, except for the very random Dracula story arc but it only lasted 2-3 issues  :doge

Outside of that, it was great!

Next-Step: All New Wolverine

benjipwns

« Reply #4292 on: July 14, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
Duke was one of the robins when they had that whole gang of teenage robins running around after damian was killed, that's where he came from, well that and he also happened to hang out at the place Bruce was chillin at with his lady during that whole pretending he's not batman thing and bruce had to go rescue him like four times or something, so nothing's changed...also he rescued Bruce during Zero Year...

i didn't read the Joker as being deliberately serious, so much as they obviously weren't understanding what he was trying to tell them about what Bruce has done (notice, they don't listen and immediately assist Bruce in creating the machine), and his comments to Duke weren't an actual backwards explanatory plan but a bluff using info he's obviously been privy to sitting down there in the cave to get him close and activate his escape...so an inverse of Ledger's Joker's "i don't plan anything" lie

well

i prefer to think of it that way, especially as Snyder said the Joker isn't part of this after the intro, which was a way to introduce him back without having to explain where he's been other than Bruce has had him locked up the whole time...Johns is the one writing the Three Jokers story

the META thing though was hilariously stupid :lol

Shuri

« Reply #4293 on: July 16, 2017, 12:59:39 AM »
So tonight I blasted through the entire Punisher Volume 9 run. The Punisher is now in Los Angeles. After executing a Danny Trejo clone, he learns of chemical weapons ( :doge ) being sold by Mexican cartels and he sets off to kill them all.

It's a fairly typical Punisher series, it has the ever classic "Punisher in Prison" arc that is pretty most a meme by now, and he obviously starts a prison riot. I think this is the 41th prison riot he has started. There are appearance by The Black Widow and Electro ( ::) ) at some points.

The problem with writing a punisher storyline is that the character has never recovered from The Punisher Max. Every new writer wants to pay homage to it, but cant because Mahvel kinda wants to keep The Punisher PG13. So you end up with real-life crime stuff mixed with stuff like Electro being hired By the Cartels to capture The Punisher. It just feels.. weird. It doesn't blend very well.

You either fully embrace real life like The Punisher MAX or or go full camp with  the "regular human outmatched by super powered bad guys" angle they did  during the Civil War arc like when The Punisher fought The Sentry.

It wasnt a bad read, it's just a bit by the number, and there's a few  :doge moments like Electro suddenly disappearing? Or the super over the top plot with the cartel trying to take over LA by inciting a giant riot. What was their end game exactly? Some other characters just.. suddenly go away. It was weird?

The final two issues were great. It was a tie-in with the last secret Invasion event. It featured The Punisher being sent in a suicide mission against an ISIS type group. Non-stop action, tons of terrorists getting killed in gory (and sometimes hilarious) ways as he stalks every member of the cell and massacres them.

The ending was very interesting. The Punisher is mortally wounded and is laying in a pool of his own blood, while the sky above him turn white and everything fades out. Is he dead? Has he gone to heaven, SOMEHOW?

It turns out that the last two issues are tied to the end of the world caused by the whole secret wars event. I had to read up online about it and it seems that whatever war happened between the capes caused the destruction of many alternative universes, including the one featured in this run.

I guess it was a nice twist ending!

I give that run a 8/10

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4294 on: July 17, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »
Been checking out secret empire and WTF  :lol

Hydra Cap is pretty awesome and a huge piece of shit.

Also even with this fucking shitshow happening they will never live down Hank slapping Janet  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The other thing that seems to be happening (unless it's some kind of comic book swerve and these guys are from elsewhere) is that characters from the Ultimate universe are coming back.  That universe was destroyed/combined with the 616 universe in Secret Wars, with only Miles and his family/friends seemingly surviving.  But now there's a group of Ultimates popping up (in Ultimates, IIRC, lolol), Jimmy Hudson (Ultimate Wolverine's son) in X-Men Blue, and another Steve Rogers in Secret Empire, wandering around a forest wondering what's going on.  LMAO (and fuck off, Marvel) if they're just going to have Hydra-Cap die or stay full villain and have Ultimate Cap just replace him.  There also may be Ultimate Thor back, but this other Thor is being referred to as "War Thor" and seems to be a different character.

hmmm this could explain it but we'll see.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hydra Punisher is hilarious to see
[close]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:31:14 PM by Purple Filth »

parallax

« Reply #4295 on: July 17, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »

Also even with this fucking shitshow happening they will never live down Hank slapping Janet  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

[close]

petes punched a pregnant mj and thats already been forgotten. tony could shoot pepper and that shit would be forgotten by the next event. its been decades, and you still have characters talking about the slap somehow despite all the retcons and retools.

benjipwns

« Reply #4296 on: July 17, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
oh man, bringing back the Ultimate universe already would top everything in mainstream superhero comics, especially if it was major characters from it

i think it'd be the thing to make me finally spend some time with the recent Ultimate/Marvel canon (i stopped not long after Ultimate X-Men ended and they shit-binned the vastly inferior New Exiles)

even DC let Grant Morrison, from the get go, write a big "IT'S ALL HYPERTIME YO" button into the New 52 with The Multiversity (even if they used something entirely different and stupider to reboot back out, though really Rebirth has re-written that into a time-skip) just in case they needed to salvage anything up to including the entire canon back to 1939 :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4297 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »
Marvel's next big thing is "Legacy," which seems to be them going back to "the basics."  Following DC, comics are going to switch back to their original numbering and there will be changes to characters making them (supposedly) more they used to be.  For example, Spider-Man will be back at the Daily Bugle, although writer Dan Slott is teasing that it's in a different role.  Speculation is that he'll own the Bugle or something.  No more Parker Industries billionaire Peter Parker, though.

I still would really like to know how the hell they are going to get Steve Rogers back as a good guy after all this Secret Empire shit.  I would love it if they had the balls to keep him as a villain.

[close]

It's hard to tell if there's another Captain America now.  It may just be that the scenes with the other Steve are all playing out in Steve's head.  He's met up with two guys that appear to be similar in appearance to Rick Jones and Sam Wilson, and the the Red Skull popped up at the end of the last Secret Empire issue.  But if it is Ultimate Cap...then it's gonna be incredibly easy to bring back him as a superhero.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #4298 on: July 17, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »
It's funny that, basically that was the whole point of Ultimate originally. Was Marvel's response to the Clone Saga and the X-Men's endless crossover status turning everything into an endless clusterfuck and turning off readers as the TPB market hadn't yet exploded to make up for it, they'd launch this separate universe with a clean slate and stuff updated from the 1960s originals to 2000 and go from there.

Then not too long ago with the movies taking off and Ultimate now having a decade of back material they did that Season One line among others. I think they even launched an Avengers book that wasn't set in any universes for people coming solely from the movies (even though it was set in its own universe, not the movies one and had different versions of the characters), which I think turned out to be nobody enough to bother continuing it past the original TPB collection. :lol

Though now this make me wonder what's happening at DC with Earth One since that was actually going pretty well storywise imo and it seemed like they were starting to come out more often. Probably needed to do some bimonthly/quarterly books or something with that rather than writing single trades with no real schedule.

fakedit: oh, they just this week announced the next Earth One. Green Lantern. For March 2018.

No other books with release dates. Batman #2 and Superman #3 were May and Feb 2015 respectively. Batman #3, Aquaman and The Flash were all announced in 2014 but have no release dates.

lol this old article from 2014 says they were actually planning a weekly online series

the first Superman: Earth One book was 2010 :heh

scrap it all, start over, especially since Geoff Johns and fucking Straczynski* are the two main writers of the series

*one of the nine people hired to write the story for the Godzilla vs. Kong film

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4299 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
Marvel is still doing comics that are more movie-based or solely focused on characters from the movies.  They usually just title them "Marvel Universe ________" IIRC.

If they really want to get back to basics, they need to do something about all the multiple versions of characters.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #4300 on: July 17, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »
Just from the name "Marvel Legacy" makes me think more like you're doing it as a deliberate throw back, with the books set in the 1960s with those sets of characters/teams/etc., only not the comics code version of the 1960s that the originals were set in. That being the "updated for today" part.

It'd be even better if Thor Legacy started out as a recurring feature of twelve pages or so in the back of another book, with four of the pages being him fretting over his secret identity being discovered by Jane and him fretting about Odin finding about his love for Jane. And another six pages being some insane Norse legends eat LSD panels. In other words, they could just reprint the original Journey into Mystery issues.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:43:14 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #4301 on: July 17, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »
Also FF Legacy needs to have ALL of this retained:

[close]

[close]

Also, since it was in this folder, Spider-Man realizes he can only turn to NeoGAF.com:

Purple Filth

« Reply #4302 on: July 18, 2017, 03:21:49 AM »
Marvel's next big thing is "Legacy," which seems to be them going back to "the basics."  Following DC, comics are going to switch back to their original numbering and there will be changes to characters making them (supposedly) more they used to be.  For example, Spider-Man will be back at the Daily Bugle, although writer Dan Slott is teasing that it's in a different role.  Speculation is that he'll own the Bugle or something.  No more Parker Industries billionaire Peter Parker, though.

I still would really like to know how the hell they are going to get Steve Rogers back as a good guy after all this Secret Empire shit.  I would love it if they had the balls to keep him as a villain.

[close]

It's hard to tell if there's another Captain America now.  It may just be that the scenes with the other Steve are all playing out in Steve's head.  He's met up with two guys that appear to be similar in appearance to Rick Jones and Sam Wilson, and the the Red Skull popped up at the end of the last Secret Empire issue.  But if it is Ultimate Cap...then it's gonna be incredibly easy to bring back him as a superhero.

I thought the other guy was Bucky but was thinking a similar scenario (That Steve not remembering his calling might just be his good persona still existing or whatever) until i saw you post about more Ultimate universe heroes appearing.

That Red Skull appearance might hint more at the former though since it seems awfully convenient for him to appear plus i would assume he would know which rogers hes trying to get revenge on.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4303 on: July 18, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
Fantastic Four Legacy would be the panels from above with Reed and Sue photoshopped out.
:neogaf

I thought the other guy was Bucky but was thinking a similar scenario (That Steve not remembering his calling might just be his good persona still existing or whatever) until i saw you post about more Ultimate universe heroes appearing.

That Red Skull appearance might hint more at the former though since it seems awfully convenient for him to appear plus i would assume he would know which rogers hes trying to get revenge on.

Ah, yeah, it could be Bucky too.  Him and Rick are interchangeable sometimes.  :lol
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4304 on: July 19, 2017, 03:40:48 AM »
Superman #27 was patriotic/jingoistic as fuck (depending on your point of view) but I still had a dumb smile on my face the whole time. Gleason and Tomasi just nail these characters so well.

You can also tell how much fun they have writing Clark and Lois as a strong, loving couple. The five years the New 52 stole from this relationship were so hard, I can't imagine how pre-OMD Spider-Man fans handle it.

Purple Filth

« Reply #4305 on: July 19, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »

[close]

petes punched a pregnant mj and thats already been forgotten. tony could shoot pepper and that shit would be forgotten by the next event. its been decades, and you still have characters talking about the slap somehow despite all the retcons and retools.

Hasn't Reed smacked Sue a few times as well.?

Edit
Dark Days the Casting:  WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK DID I JUST READ?? its not like Secret empire WTF lol just a straight up wtf

:mindblown :mindblown :mindblown :mindblown :mindblown :mindblown :mindblown :mindblown

So now every meta human in DC has this nth metal in them all along and that's what the name metahuman is actually referencing also there is some evil batman with his own bat family.

:comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:20:58 PM by Purple Filth »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4306 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »
also there is some evil batman with his own bat family.

:comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon

What!?  :lol
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4307 on: July 20, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about on the latter point?

All it does is set up "Bats vs. Birds" (which is super dumb) and that bats are supposedly an evil symbol or something (DUN DUN DUN!!!) I guess the main baddie of the "Dark Multiverse" might be some kind of bat-demon?

Who's "Evil Batman?" Other than Bruce kinda being a dick in the issue lol.

"Bruce, don't trade this sword for anything. You'll need it in the coming war or whatever."

"OK Wonder Woman, sounds great. <three panels later> Hey Talia, wanna trade your metal for my fancy new sword?"

benjipwns

« Reply #4308 on: July 21, 2017, 01:02:49 AM »
i think he's talking about the guy at the end

but they're "evil batmen family" because Bruce is the one who tampered with the metals (which...look, I know you're Batman and all, but if there's one dude who you should listen to, it's fucking Scott Free)

the metals who just happen to represent and are related to the powers of other beings in the DC Universe

i mean, i could re-read them again and edit this, but i think the diary plus the Joker explain that by Bruce being the one doing it means the Dark Universe will come through as twisted metal (calm down Jaffe) versions of Batman, he's their tether to the DC Universe

that's part of why even the Joker isn't totally happy about it

Purple Filth

« Reply #4309 on: July 21, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
I'm talking that silhouette at the end of the "other batman and his family" in that dimension that looks evil?

Also those Batmen ??? blocked Bruce from seeing this other batman by showing him darkness instead.

We'll see if they aren't but how they are portrayed and the fucking joker of all people not being pleased with these events isn't giving much confidence.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:14:21 PM by Purple Filth »

Tasty

« Reply #4310 on: July 21, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »
Gotcha gotcha. Yeah this event is going to be an insane mess but at least it'll be pretty self-contained with a lot of various one-shots for the Batmen.

Doomsday Clock is the real DC event this year. :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #4311 on: July 24, 2017, 11:15:34 AM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-has-an-epic-plan-to-save-itself-from-the-comics-apoc-1797174893

Sounds good, and Rebirth has been super encouraging, but we'll see how long they keep with it.

The thing is though, his comment here:

“DC approached me and said, how would you like to take some of the stuff that you are working on with Sean [Murphy] and do it a new, prestige format? Instead of doing it monthly, why not do it in this format that would allow for it to be a bigger stage, both for Sean artistically, and to package the story in a new way and then allow every subsequent story that I was going to do with Paul Pope, with Afua [Richardson], with Lee Bermejo, be done in this format that really foregrounds the art – different paper size, different cut, the whole thing?

In that way, it seemed obvious and a perfect solution instead of having them work month-to-month on a normal-sized, conventional comic, we could be some of the first people to try driving in this new lane for DC. I’m really, really thrilled about it.”

You can't have your ships-twice-monthly cake and eat it too with a more-than-monthly-format, DC. Getting mixed signals.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4312 on: July 26, 2017, 12:30:58 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4313 on: July 26, 2017, 07:33:40 AM »
Looks like the other Batmen are a group of evil Justice League types who all have a Batman motif.  There also may be a Joker-Batman...?
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #4314 on: July 26, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
 :doge :neogaf The nineties are back..

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4315 on: July 26, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
Which one is Jean Paul Valley?
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4316 on: July 26, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »
Should have called it Dark Knights: Nu Metal.
dog

Purple Filth

« Reply #4317 on: July 26, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Looks like the other Batmen are a group of evil Justice League types who all have a Batman motif.  There also may be a Joker-Batman...?
(Image removed from quote.)

:holeup

At least its not based on the current bat family but i'm not sure if basing it on league characters is any better :larry

Also did Tom Macfarlane get work again  :lol :lol

Which one is Jean Paul Valley?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4319 on: July 26, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »

Weird Jodorowsky-ied up gangster story with pretty great art. Particularly violent. Not the headiest Jodo, but it's interesting to see his take on more traditional material. Again, great art.
serge