Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 196168 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1140 on: October 04, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
Nobody cares about gameplay. Any talk about BC, how that works? The UI? Anything?

Doesn't look like it's anything but videos on those games.  The Gematsu link briefly mentions that they thought the system fans were super-quiet and there's a short video on the controller.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1141 on: October 04, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »
PS5 is about games.

Xbox is about hardware.

Thats all recent times have shown me.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1142 on: October 04, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »
I don't understand how they chose the games to show off. Astro's playroom is a controller tutorial in the skin of an off-brand Super Mario Sunshine. Godfall has a cool style but the graphics aren't anything amazing and the performance was quite terrible for a game that's apparently finished. DMC5 is just a current gen game with added puddle reflections.

I guess next-gen won't really begin until 2021.

Are we even sure you can use external HDDs for PS5 games? Wouldn't it have to be an external SSD? And maybe won't it be system specific like Xbox where it's $200 just for 1tb. It also would be nice if it's not like the PS4, where you can only use one external at a time.

The way it works for both PS5 and the XSS/X is that you can use an external HDD to either:

• Run BC games with similar load times as the PS4/Xbone
  • Hold next-gen games in "cold storage" until you're ready to transfer them over to the internal SSD. Until the next-gen game is transferred from external storage to the internal SSD, it can't be run.

So basically, you can have maybe 10 games on the internal storage but if you want to swap a game over from the external HDD, you should expect to wait like 10 minutes for the transfer before you can play.

I know Xbone lets you use up to three external HDDs and presumably the XSX/S will do the same, I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be technically possible for the PS5.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1143 on: October 04, 2020, 09:32:56 PM »
Are we even sure you can use external HDDs for PS5 games? Wouldn't it have to be an external SSD? And maybe won't it be system specific like Xbox where it's $200 just for 1tb. It also would be nice if it's not like the PS4, where you can only use one external at a time.
Cerny addressed this, you'll need a compatible SSD for PS5 games to run. It also needs to be as fast or faster than the SSD that comes with the system.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5s-expandable-storage-doesnt-use-proprietary-tec/1100-6474918/

You'll be able to use an external hard drive for PS4 games. You could potentially store PS5 games on a HDD but you'd need to move them to the SSD to play them.

Sony said that its upcoming next-gen system is backward compatible and you can push your older PlayStation games to an external hard drive in order to save space on the PS5's 825GB SDD. Such drives can also be used to store PS5 games, but you'll need to move those to a PS5-speed SSD in order to play them.

Edit: Was on the previous page and missed brawndolicious' post. :'(

Svejk

« Reply #1144 on: October 07, 2020, 08:54:53 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #1145 on: October 07, 2020, 09:26:39 AM »
Seems like a whole lot of unnecessary plastic?

Bebpo

« Reply #1146 on: October 07, 2020, 09:52:13 AM »
Seems like a whole lot of unnecessary plastic?

If you mean the side panels, yeah. Plus it just looks big & ugly.

Internally most of the size stuff has to do with cooling and quietness, which are good. Although I've been lucky and never noticed any loud fan noise from my PS4/PS4 Pro but I get that a lot of people had issues with it so the focus on cooling should be good in general.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1147 on: October 07, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »
Thats fucking massive :whew

I will almost certainly wait for the slim model before getting one :doge
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1148 on: October 07, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
its not just ps4 pro, my ps4 poor is louder than a vaccum at times  :doge

xbox one x is pretty much silent though :rejoice
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #1149 on: October 07, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
My PS4 poor never makes a noise because I have earbuds in when I play.  :betty

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1150 on: October 07, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »
Its fucking huge lmao
What

thetylerrob

« Reply #1151 on: October 07, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »
lol it's like 50% heatsink. Those fans better be quiet this time.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1152 on: October 07, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
I didn't see where you'd add SSD, or did I miss it? I would guess the first bay opened after sliding off the cover but who knows. can't imagine they want people to disassemble all the way to the mainboard.  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #1153 on: October 07, 2020, 12:19:18 PM »
Those outer plastic panels though.. I can see many a 3rd party ones on the horizon allowing tons of colors and customization.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1154 on: October 07, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »

How do we know this guy just isn't small?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1155 on: October 07, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
Liquid metal TIM. :leon

That silicon (?) and foam tray surrounding the die is what must have given them so much trouble.

The overengineered stand though. Really went all out with that thing. :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #1156 on: October 07, 2020, 02:18:08 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:23:35 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #1157 on: October 07, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #1158 on: October 07, 2020, 02:27:39 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1159 on: October 07, 2020, 03:46:52 PM »
lol it's like 50% heatsink. Those fans better be quiet this time.

by all accounts, yes, yes it is
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1160 on: October 07, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »

How do we know this guy just isn't small?

i feel like they're doing it on purpose at this point :lol
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #1161 on: October 07, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1162 on: October 07, 2020, 04:42:22 PM »
:whew
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1163 on: October 07, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »
🤴

naff

« Reply #1164 on: October 07, 2020, 05:08:21 PM »
that teardown was pretty sick. console looks great  8)
◕‿◕

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1165 on: October 07, 2020, 05:41:54 PM »
Radial fans and a heatsink, so it's mostly the same airflow configuration as the PS4 but everything is sized up. Basically, it's better at dealing with heat but it has more heat to deal with. I feel like the only reason they made the console so big was so they could use a regular heatsink rather than a vapor chamber, I'm not sure how much that could reduce the cost though.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1166 on: October 07, 2020, 10:31:14 PM »
Radial fans and a heatsink, so it's mostly the same airflow configuration as the PS4 but everything is sized up. Basically, it's better at dealing with heat but it has more heat to deal with. I feel like the only reason they made the console so big was so they could use a regular heatsink rather than a vapor chamber, I'm not sure how much that could reduce the cost though.
The vapour chambers we typically see aren't that large. I'm guessing the price/perf was simply unfavourable.

I still think the fan will become louder as it ages, but at least it appears relatively easy to access and replace.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1167 on: October 07, 2020, 11:06:12 PM »
I wonder what the Slim version of this is gonna look like

Pennywise

« Reply #1168 on: October 07, 2020, 11:16:43 PM »
The vapour chambers we typically see aren't that large. I'm guessing the price/perf was simply unfavourable.

I still think the fan will become louder as it ages, but at least it appears relatively easy to access and replace.

They already win quite a bit with the liquid cooling.
The thermal paste they used for the PS4 was pretty shit, same goes for the thermo pads.

Not to mention the questionable fans they've used last time around, but we'll see. Hopefully it really holds up until the end.
While I wasn't bothered with the PS4 and Pro at first, it became nearly unbearable towards the end.

naff

« Reply #1169 on: October 07, 2020, 11:45:35 PM »

They already win quite a bit with the liquid cooling.
The thermal paste they used for the PS4 was pretty shit, same goes for the thermo pads.

Not to mention the questionable fans they've used last time around, but we'll see. Hopefully it really holds up until the end.
While I wasn't bothered with the PS4 and Pro at first, it became nearly unbearable towards the end.

they're using a more standard (for PC's) 120mm fan, whereas before they were using 70/80mm for ps3/4? will displace heat much more easily at least. i don't think i've ever had a 45mm deep fan though. looks weird and custom.
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #1170 on: October 07, 2020, 11:52:21 PM »

:leon

j/k it's this

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:59:22 PM by Spieler1 »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1171 on: October 08, 2020, 02:59:23 AM »

I said it weird but I meant that a vapor chamber would be much smaller for the size.  Due to the high clocks, the PS5 is generating a lot of heat in a relatively small die so maybe that affected whether a heat pipe or a vapor chamber would be the best solution?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1172 on: October 08, 2020, 03:41:17 AM »
That heatsink is fucking insane :lol

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1173 on: October 08, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »

Hopefully it will be in black, because ugh @ this white trash
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1174 on: October 08, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/sony_launching_new_ps_store_on_web_and_mobile_this_month

There's no way Sony will do something as stupid as this right? Lmao
fat

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1175 on: October 08, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »
Does anyone actually use their web store?  My experience with navigating and searching through it has always been a nightmarish clusterfuck, and that store has been long long overdue for the old teller treatment in favor of something new.

Like, Nintendo’s webstore has been more user friendly for many several years now, in comparison.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1176 on: October 08, 2020, 05:17:55 PM »
I used the web store many times when buying PSP, Vita, PS3 and PS4 games yes

Nintendo is only recently making a web store that is barebones functional. The Bore of videogames
fat

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1177 on: October 08, 2020, 06:26:09 PM »
I guess I was using it wrong then, because the last couple times I tried browsing for some games on it was enough to push me into using the PS4 store browser, which is pretty shit.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1178 on: October 08, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »
I said it weird but I meant that a vapor chamber would be much smaller for the size.  Due to the high clocks, the PS5 is generating a lot of heat in a relatively small die so maybe that affected whether a heat pipe or a vapor chamber would be the best solution?
Yeah, I follow you. I'm guessing it's just a matter of cost. They say in the teardown that they shaped the heatsink to have VC-like performance, which leads me to believe it's an adequate but much cheaper solution.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #1179 on: October 08, 2020, 09:43:04 PM »
Wtf did they do to ma trophies :beli
jon

Svejk

« Reply #1180 on: October 08, 2020, 11:03:33 PM »
Holup... They're removing the wishlist from the store??  They mean just the PS3, Vita, PSP games wishlist, right?  :nugenix

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1181 on: October 08, 2020, 11:37:51 PM »
the datamine/rumor was that wishlists were being moved to console side for PS5.

Svejk

« Reply #1182 on: October 09, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »
Here's a complete list of PS4 games that will not work on PS5:

DWVR

Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

Everything else will work, although some stuff might not work perfectly.
Pre-order cancelled

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1183 on: October 09, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »
all of the hits :titus
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1184 on: October 09, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
Shadow Complex is pretty good  :idont
Margs

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1185 on: October 09, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
wasn't it made by a super nazi or some shit?

i vaguely recall some hand wringing over it :trumps
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1186 on: October 09, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
Here's a complete list of PS4 games that will not work on PS5:

DWVR

Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

Everything else will work, although some stuff might not work perfectly.
Pre-order cancelled

There's also this:

Certain features in some titles might not work on PS5 (though Sony didn’t go into specifics), and you might run into “errors or unexpected behavior” while playing PS4 games. The company suggests testing your PS4 games on PS5 before buying any add-ons or DLC you want to pick up.

Which seems to translate to "hey, here's a list of games that won't boot up at all- others might be all kinds of fucked, but they'll at least start up!"

:idont
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #1187 on: October 09, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »
so normal bc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1188 on: October 09, 2020, 10:30:31 PM »
so normal bc

Don't remember having issues with PS1 and PS2 games on the launch PS3.  Or PS1 games on PS2. Or PSP games on Vita. 
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1189 on: October 10, 2020, 12:33:10 AM »
"We didn't QA this thorougly and never will", is what that tells me.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1190 on: October 10, 2020, 01:16:38 AM »
Even with PS2 built into the PS3, it did'nt run 100% of the library and some games had issues. Which got worse with the emulation models.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3.html

And how do you QA all of that anyway? You have to have people run through every game under tons of circumstances.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:21:03 AM by Rahxephon91 »

paprikastaude

« Reply #1191 on: October 10, 2020, 01:17:46 AM »
so normal bc

Don't remember having issues with PS1 and PS2 games on the launch PS3.  Or PS1 games on PS2. Or PSP games on Vita.

Ape Escape wasn't playable on PS3 for one.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1192 on: October 10, 2020, 01:56:07 AM »
Even with PS2 built into the PS3, it did'nt run 100% of the library and some games had issues. Which got worse with the emulation models.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3.html

And how do you QA all of that anyway? You have to have people run through every game under tons of circumstances.

Ah, OK.  Good point.  This is different now, though, with games having DLC.  I don't like them saying what appears to be "make sure you play this game first before getting DLC for it!"  What if the game appears fine, but then five hours in it's broken?  Are they going to refund the DLC and/or digital purchase? 

so normal bc

Ape Escape wasn't playable on PS3 for one.

The PAL version was messed up, not the NTSC version, IIRC.
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1193 on: October 10, 2020, 03:29:05 AM »
Seems like a pretty standard "we can't guarantee that 100% of the games will be 100% fine" warning to cover their asses. The only way around that would be to fully test every single game, which is basically impossible.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1194 on: October 10, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
It’s probably just text to cover their ass similar to how they cautioned that boost mode on PS4 Pro might cause unexpected behavior on old games even though that was basically never the case.
Margs

Svejk

« Reply #1195 on: October 12, 2020, 03:05:29 PM »

Reminds me of PSP start up in ways   :aweshum

Svejk

« Reply #1196 on: October 12, 2020, 07:58:01 PM »
Apparently the PS5 HD Camera will not be compatible with PSVR BC.  Glad I didn't pick that up on my pre-order. :doge

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #1197 on: October 12, 2020, 10:29:35 PM »
is the rare replay collection bbc

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

Himu

« Reply #1199 on: October 13, 2020, 01:04:57 AM »

Reminds me of PSP start up in ways   :aweshum

this is sick and very reminiscent of classic (pre-ps3) Sony.
IYKYK