Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519567 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: NBA Off-season thread of Lockouts and Hard Caps
« Reply #2640 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »
not even a flicker of interest, sorry
vjj

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2641 on: July 01, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
It's unfortunate but it was inevitable. And this could get really nasty. Both sides have really dug their heels in.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2642 on: July 01, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
Go watch some AAU you fair weather bball fans

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2643 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
I just hope half the players don't get fat and alcoholic like they did after the last lockout. The smart ones will use it to get needed surgery and recovery, but the dumb ones will be on a beach sipping purple drank. A shortened season could really benefit veteran teams like the Celts and the Lakers.
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2644 on: July 02, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
If we lose this season, the Mavericks are going to be practically ancient by the time basketball starts up again.  :(
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2645 on: July 02, 2011, 12:44:59 AM »
Dwight Howard too!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2646 on: July 02, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »
Lebron might have a post game by the time the next season starts.

He has a post game. But he spends most of his time, for entirely defensible reasons, playing point guard, so...
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #2647 on: July 02, 2011, 01:55:02 AM »
Running into defenders in the key isn't a post game
itm

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #2648 on: July 02, 2011, 01:59:32 AM »
Go watch some AAU you fair weather bball fans

:yuck

AAU, US high school ball, and even NCAA are what I hate most about hoops.  Every year you hear some bullshit about how some 18-19 yr old kid could  easily be one of the top 5 in his position at the NBA, i.e. Austin Rivers.  Truth is US basketball sucks below the NBA level and arrogant kids don't know how far off they are off the top until they get into the league.  I can't count the number of HS/AAU kids I've destroyed, who come into the gym with their stupid HS jerseys like they are all that. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2649 on: July 02, 2011, 02:19:13 AM »
er, I've never thought that I could beat a NBA player unlike many of the dumb HS kids that think they could. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2650 on: July 02, 2011, 02:48:29 AM »

The post I linked to a while back about LeBron's post game has been taken down due to the lockout now, unfortunately. It was on heat.com if it ever comes back up. But no trolling, he has a real post game, with jump hooks, turnaround jumper, everything you could want. And of course the roll to the hoop. He is LeBron though, so he has a ton of other options open to him (including being a pussy and playing hot potato outside the 3pt line).
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2651 on: July 02, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »
Is NBA network the same in Japan as it is in the US?  The programming has been terrible lately.  I keep checking for classic games but all they have is tired analysis and old news. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2652 on: July 02, 2011, 03:00:54 AM »
I don't even watch broadcast tv anymore. Quite happy to just wait 'til next season really...League Pass took up such an insane amount of my free time during the season that I'm really enjoying catching up on reading and gaming and such. Getting my Witcher 2 on right now :rock
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #2653 on: July 02, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »

The post I linked to a while back about LeBron's post game has been taken down due to the lockout now, unfortunately. It was on heat.com if it ever comes back up. But no trolling, he has a real post game, with jump hooks, turnaround jumper, everything you could want. And of course the roll to the hoop. He is LeBron though, so he has a ton of other options open to him (including being a pussy and playing hot potato outside the 3pt line).

Will happily admit I've not seen that, just going from memory, never seen much more than the roll to the hoop.

Regardless it could be so much better if he had any desire to work on his game.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2654 on: July 02, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
LeBron definitely deserves some criticism for his disappearing act but saying he lacks any desire to work on his game is ridiculous...
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2655 on: July 02, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
I like Lebron. Seems to be a good dude. The hate and backlash he generates tends to say more about the people doing the hating to me than it ever does about Lebron.

That being said the weakness to Lebron seems to be his basketball IQ in clutch moments or when the game matters. He doesn't seem to have a sense of I need a better shot at this point in the game than I did earlier in it. He will just settle often for what the defense is giving him. Which late in a game is three's or very hard drives to the rim.

This ties into why I say he needs a post game mixed in with some better basketball IQ. It's not that I've never seen Lebron do post moves. It's that he never does them with any sense of purpose or rhyme or reason. It's not integrated into his game and because of that when he actually needs to do post moves to counter something the defense is doing he's never doing them. It's why statistics can be misleading in some cases. My own eyes tell me Lebron doesn't have a post game not because he doesn't sometimes do post moves but because the lasting image most of have of Lebron is him shooting a three or trying to go one on 5 from the top of the key. Because that's almost always what he does when the game actually matters. Take Magic Johnson. The image of him is quite varied. I think of hooks. Post moves. Drives and dishes. Better outside shooting late in his career. etc. A very balanced approach.

Lebron's game is modeled after the Kobe Bryant model which was in en vogue because Kobe got the rings and press attention. But that's not the proper model for Lebron. He needs a different model. His own model. He's a little bit of Magic Johnson crossed with somebody like Kobe. So he needs different elements from those two archtypes. Rather than just the Kobe stuff.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:47:28 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2656 on: July 07, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6745426
New Jersey Nets guard Deron Williams is planning to play in Turkey in the fall if the NBA lockout has not yet been settled.

Williams' newly hired agent, Jeff Schwartz, on Thursday confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher a report from the Turkey-based sports outlet NTV Spor that the All-Star point guard has struck an agreement in principal to play for Besiktas, which is the club that briefly employed Allen Iverson last season.

Williams' deal will be for one year and $5 million, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Besiktas coach Ergin Ataman told the New York Times that the team also has an agreement with Atlanta Hawks center Zaza Pachulia.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2657 on: July 07, 2011, 09:07:31 PM »
amazing story that erodes a lot of the preconceptions about superstars

- will only play for max money (:lol)
- will only play for a contender (:lol)
- will only play with big-time teammates (:lol)
- will only play in a big media market (:lol)

Push comes to shove, they'll take $5 mil guaranteed vs $0 guaranteed! I would too! And he has an out if the NBA lockout is resolved, so it's a win-win for him.
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #2658 on: July 07, 2011, 10:16:25 PM »
Plus he gets to travel around parts of Europe at team expense. They only play like 35-40 games, once or twice a week. He can take it pretty easy in many of those.

Same team is trying to convince Kobe to do the same.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2659 on: July 07, 2011, 10:20:29 PM »
It's probably just an attempt to get some leverage and free publicity. I'd be shocked if he plays more than 10 games. It might backfire a bit though since it sends a clear signal that he is prepared to play for less than the max in the right circumstances (i.e. if he was being traded to the Lakers etc vs staying on the Nets)
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #2660 on: July 07, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »

more like

- Will play anywhere when faced with economic reality

Probably gives an indication of player lifestyles and who was saving their money
itm

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2661 on: July 08, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6749511

I hope Yao changes his mind after the extra bit of rest from the lockout.  He was the best overall center after Shaq, imo and one of the few athletes who really deserved to be called classy. 

Andowsky

« Reply #2662 on: July 08, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »
Yeah that sucks about Ming.

Brandon Roy, ok, glad you're now relegated to bench player status. Hope Andrew Bynum is next. But Yao? :(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2663 on: July 08, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »

more like

- Will play anywhere when faced with economic reality

Probably gives an indication of player lifestyles and who was saving their money

Rudy Fernandez actually turned down a $26 Million deal to play in Spain. He would have made more money there than he would with the Mavs next season if there is basketball. I think it was like $4 Million there vs. $3.25 Million on his current contract.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:14:33 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2664 on: July 09, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6749511

I hope Yao changes his mind after the extra bit of rest from the lockout.  He was the best overall center after Shaq, imo and one of the few athletes who really deserved to be called classy. 

Overall or current, I'm confused

Himu

« Reply #2665 on: July 09, 2011, 07:17:44 PM »
Shaq was not the best center, and Yao will be missed.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2666 on: July 09, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
Overall as in all-around game. 

Himu

« Reply #2667 on: July 09, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »
Hakeem > Shaq
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2668 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:55 PM »
Chamberlain > Shaq
David Robinson > Shaq
Kareem > Shaq
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:31:44 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #2669 on: July 09, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
Wilt, Shaq and Lebron are three guys with just huge physical advantages.It's tough to judge those guys when the league lacked guys built to guard them. Yao had obvious height advantages that, like Dirk, made it impossible to stop him shooting over you. He was pretty impressive when he was dominating the Rockets, but he fell apart physically just as he was reaching that point.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2670 on: July 09, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »
Overall as in all-around game. 

So you're saying Shaq and Yao>Hakeem, Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone? Shaq is top 5, Yao might not be top 10

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2671 on: July 09, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »
Sad to see Yao retire.  One of the best players in the game when he was healthy, and one of the most unique ever.

I hope we get at least a handful of healthy years from Oden before he's gone too.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2672 on: July 09, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
Let's not forget the role Yao had in the current prosperity of the league, too. LeBron owes that guy about a half a billion bucks. And Yao was a GREAT ambassador for his country.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #2673 on: July 09, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
The amount of asian families I know who started watching NBA when Yao joined the Rockets was crazy.

I wonder if they'll still stick with it without Yao.

All of which are Rockets fans.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2674 on: July 09, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
Yao has been a great ambassador for the game. Very sad we didn't see him healthy over the last few years, alongside McGrady.

Himu

« Reply #2675 on: July 09, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Well, it speaks well of the team when the Rockets still gave the Lakers trouble without Yao or McGrady with mostly bench players in the '10 playoffs.

But yes, McGrady is a sad case, though I don't really like his attitude much these days.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2676 on: July 09, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »
I got to see him play in person one time.

It's a cliche to say "I knew he was tall, but when you see him in person... he's really tall!"  Several times Gilbert Arenas (this is back when he had knees) would blow by his man at the top of the key, see Yao looming in front of him, and then keep his dribble alive so he could pull the ball back out.  I remember Muresan too, who was an effective player despite moving like Vincent D'Onofrio in Men In Black, so a freakishly tall player with actual coordination was a really towering obstacle.

Also, there were a ton of Chinese fans at the game.  Just well represented in every section of the arena, with a lot of area Chinese student groups, churches, etc. getting shout-outs on the jumbotron when they listed group package buyers.  All stereotypically polite, and even though Yao was the reason they were there, they embraced the whole team.  I don't think I'll ever see that many Asian people cheering for Rafer Alston and Luther Head.

Himu

« Reply #2677 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
I've been to quite a few Rockets games and yeah, he's tall as shit as cliche' as that sounds.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2678 on: July 10, 2011, 02:53:52 AM »
Deron Williams talking about his decision:
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6753259
"People say, 'Oh, you're going to get hurt,'" Williams said. "I can get hurt playing at (the University of San Diego) or wherever I'm at. I can get hurt walking down these steps. Of course, that's a big part of it. But I also did my due diligence, researched insurance. I'll be covered."

Some have speculated that Williams, who has made more than $40 million over his six-year career, is going overseas because he needs the money. He laughed at that notion.

"It's ridiculous," he said. "We've known this lockout's coming. I have plenty of money saved for the lockout purpose. Now, I don't even need to touch that money. I can invest that money. I can go grow that money. It's not something that's money-driven.

"It's more about the experience. Experience and being able to compete and play basketball. I don't want to sit around. That's what the NBA wants us to do right now. They locked us out of our gyms, they locked us out of facilities. We got to go find somewhere on our own to go hoop, to put games together. I don't have to do that. I've got a team. I'm going to go through organized practices. I'm going to be in game situations. So if the lockout is lifted, I'm going to be ready to play."
Williams spoke extensively with his former Utah Jazz teammate Mehmet Okur, who is from Turkey, before making his decision. He also spoke with former University of Illinois teammate Dee Brown, who has played professionally in Turkey. He did not get to speak with Allen Iverson, who played briefly for Besiktas last season.

Williams will take his wife and four kids with him to Istanbul, where the team will provide them with an apartment, a car and personal security.

"It's just different," Williams said. "There is no other time in my career that I'll be able to go live and play in another city, experience a different lifestyle, see new things. I'm looking forward to it."

benjipwns

« Reply #2679 on: July 10, 2011, 03:15:03 AM »
Better experience than his former backcourt mate:

A whole 14 minutes before he bolted!

Thrown into a game with his shoes untied and an icepack on because there was American media present. :lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2680 on: July 10, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »
So can any NBA player do this?  I haven't been paying attention to the legal side, but it would be awesome if they could actually get some leverage back.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2681 on: July 10, 2011, 03:34:14 AM »
Sure they can. No NBA player is bound by their contract as long as the lockout persists.
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #2682 on: July 10, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
Metta World Peace to England?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-artest-20110710,0,2494979.column
Artest also said he is going overseas to play during the lockout, but not where you might think. Instead of playing for one of the prestigious teams in southern Europe, he plans to play for either the Cheshire Jets or Glasgow Rocks of the British Basketball League.

Um, dude, there's a British Basketball League?

"The teams aren't good, but I'm going there to finish a movie, so why not?" he said.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #2684 on: July 14, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »
YouTube version:
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Tomorrow!

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2685 on: July 21, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »
2K12 covers look sweet

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2686 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
Old Guys Cuz Our Real Players Are Locked Out Edition
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2687 on: July 21, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
So when Lawrence Frank gets fired in the next 1-3 years, can we get rid of Joe Dumars too?

Smooth Groove

Re: NBA Off-season thread of basketball overseas
« Reply #2689 on: July 29, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
NBA players' summer activities:

Marcin Gortat: (includes some basketball at the end) 

"He doesn't even have touch in the post against tennis players."  :lol

[youtube=560,345]DQFj7f02SgE[/youtube]

John Wall finally living up to the expectations against recreational players

[youtube=560,345]nmO9pyyE8cA[/youtube]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2690 on: July 29, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
So why isn't And1 doing the biggest tour ever...?
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #2691 on: August 04, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »
Players Association executive director Billy Hunter says the 2011-12 NBA season will likely be canceled entirely because the commissioner's negotiating leeway is in danger of being undermined by a group of hard-line owners.
:-\

Stan Van Gundy dribbling skills: http://vimeo.com/27253705

Beezy

« Reply #2692 on: August 05, 2011, 01:06:36 AM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2693 on: August 05, 2011, 02:08:10 AM »
now i see why he never took any shit from J-Will
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2694 on: August 05, 2011, 03:45:09 AM »
So why isn't And1 doing the biggest tour ever...?

Hell, why aren't locked out NBA stars putting together their own And1/Globetrotters style tour?  Or a mini-league?  Or a 3v3 tournament?

I know there would probably be a ton of roadblocks (like sponsorship, because Stern would blacklist any company that put money behind that sort of thing), but you have to figure this would give the players a wee bit of leverage back, right?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2695 on: August 05, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
Billy Hunter doubts entire '11-12 season

Players Association executive director Billy Hunter says the 2011-12 NBA season will likely be canceled entirely because the commissioner's negotiating leeway is in danger of being undermined by a group of hard-line owners.

"The circumstances have changed among [David Stern's] constituency," Hunter told a group of lawyers Wednesday, as quoted in the Baltimore Sun. "In the last six or seven years, there is a new group of owners to come in who paid a premium for their franchises, and what they're doing is kind of holding his feet to the fire."

Hunter told an American Bar Association conference that if he "had to bet on it", he would wager that there will be no NBA season.

"We're $800 million apart per year," Hunter said Wednesday, adding, "something has to happen that both of us can use as leverage to save face."

NBA owners and players held a formal collective bargaining session for the first high-level negotiations in a month Monday but after nearly three hours of discussions the sides emerged as far apart as they were when the day began. Stern said the sides were "at the same place" as they were when the lockout began July 1 just before the old collective bargaining agreement ran out.

Owners are seeking significant changes to the league's salary structure, claiming $300 million in losses last season and hundreds of millions more in each year of the previous agreement, which was ratified in 2005. Players have acknowledged the losses but disputed their size, and they've balked at the league's push for a hard salary cap and reduction in salaries and maximum contract lengths.

The union has encouraged players to find work rather than give in to the owners' economic demands, with the hope that owners would offer better proposals if they see their players have other options. Hunter recently sent a memo to all players endorsing locked-out players to consider playing overseas.

Nets All-Star Deron Williams agreed to an overseas deal with Besiktas of Turkey, the only superstar with an overseas deal thus far, though some lesser players have one. Many elite players say they are keeping it as an option.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2696 on: August 05, 2011, 01:35:29 PM »
[youtube=560,345]DnanXZt2IDY[/youtube]

Stoney Mason

Also Lebron needs to stop tweeting and defending sorry or knucklehead players. First Randy Moss. Now Tim Tebow. Tim Fucking Tebow.

Are you kidding me. What's next, a few Vince Carter defense tweets.

Phoenix Dark

what's wrong with Tebow? He didn't look bad in the games he played last year

Stoney Mason

what's wrong with Tebow? He didn't look bad in the games he played last year

Bookmarked for 5 years down the road.