Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519577 times)

etiolate

I wish articles like this would get more attention:

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012/05/20/kobe-bryant-and-faith-as-small-as-a-mustard-seed/

Good read. There's a ton of manufactured narratives in the NBA.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Van Gundy and Otis Smith canned in Orlando.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7956244/orlando-magic-part-ways-coach-stan-van-gundy-general-manager-otis-smith

dumb dumb dumb.  Van Gundy is a top 5 coach in the current NBA with a brat of a player under him.  Howard under some pushover like Mike Brown makes more sense since Kobe and Howard would basically be the coaches there, not Brown.  But SVG won, what was it, like 66% of the games he coached in his career at Orlando?  Making the playoffs each season with basically one star player?  Stupid shit.  Should've kept SVG and traded Howard for Bynum+Barnes or something.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
PER Leaders for the Playoffs. I removed anybody who didn't make it past the first round

LeBron James, MI  31.80
Russell Westbrook, OKC   27.96
Kevin Durant, OKC    27.06
Tim Duncan, SA   26.38
Darren Collison, IND 25.62
Andrew Bynum, LAL    24.62
Kobe Bryant, LAL   24.20
James Harden, OKC  23.79   
Rajon Rondo, BOS  23.51
Roy Hibbert, IND     23.04
Kevin Garnett, BOS   22.68
Eric Bledsoe, LAC   22.55
DeJuan Blair, SA  22.16
Dwyane Wade, MIA  21.81
Blake Griffin, LAC   21.22
Serge Ibaka, OKC   20.73
Gary Neal, SA    20.59   
Chris Paul, LAC  20.46
Chris Bosh, MIA 20.31   
Tony Parker, SA     19.90
Jodie Meeks, PHI  19.88

told y'all Rondo was the best PG in the playoffs! He was brilliant again tonight.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
lol at Derek Fisher giving pre-game speeches in the Thunder locker room, come on. Rode Shaq and Kobe's coattails for a decade and now he is telling KD and Westbrook how to play. There are not enough rolleyes
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
I mean, I've got to hand it to Fisher for parlaying limited gifts into a great career, and no doubt he will be a head coach before too long but shit. Dude is all hat and no cattle
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Any chance Van Gundy winds up in Miami again, assuming they don't win it all this year

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Well, Pat Riley could fire himself I guess
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
holy shit, Kobe just dunked twice in a row. Makes me want to rewatch some old Lakers games when he was doing that stuff on every other play
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
obviously this game isn't important in any way since OKC has this thing on ice but it is rather entertaining so far, refs being very silly indeed
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
this is so over  :lol
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
It's over. Thunder crushing.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Close it out, Kobe.  I wanna see at least 5 straight bricks. 

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
LOL at Kobe making sure everyone knows that the loss is on Gasol. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
yep - YOU DIDN'T SET THAT SCREEN HARD ENOUGH :lol

Why not pass him the fucking ball in the post once in a while. Pau really needs to GTFO of LA and do Kill Bill-style revenge
vjj

Stoney Mason

Thunder were impressive in this series decapitating the Lakers. Thunder and Spurs will be a fun series.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Reggie Miller seems to forget that the Lakers got annihilated in the playoffs last year, WITH Jackson, Odom and Fisher - what is all this passing the torch bullshit
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Thunder were impressive in this series decapitating the Lakers. Thunder and Spurs will be a fun series.

not gonna stick yer neck out and give us a prediction? I say 4-2 Spurs. Agree that it will be entertaining but only for stretches. I think a few of the games at least won't be very competitive.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
The Lakers made it as far as the Clippers.

Let's marinate over that for a minute.
püp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Spurs/Thunder is going to be great.
itm

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Fuck it, I'm going rogue bitches:

Thunder in 7.  :o

Heat Thunder in the Finals.  Thunder in 6.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
There is this team called the Spurs you see
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I know  :lol

As much as  the Spurs look unstoppable, they're just so fucking boring to watch.  Everything looks...too calculated.  I know that's a bitch excuse, but I never really enjoyed watching the Spurs play.  Pop is just too good of a coach  :lol

Plus Thunder/Heat will be exciting as shit game by game.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
The Spurs are great to watch, I don't get it. Manu is probably the most creative guard in the league*, and Parker is wildly entertaining. The only reason they are boring this year is because they keep blowing everyone out.

edit - Forgot about Rondo!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:22:19 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I suppose.  This is coming from a guy who's last real experience closely watching the Spurs was in the Cavs/Spurs Finals where I was rooting for Lebron, and it was just zzzz all series.

As much as I respect how good they are, I just find them, Duncan especially, so uninteresting to watch.
püp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
You can only think the Spurs are boring if you don't like passing or sharing the ball. No hero ball in San Antonio
itm

Stoney Mason

not gonna stick yer neck out and give us a prediction? I say 4-2 Spurs. Agree that it will be entertaining but only for stretches. I think a few of the games at least won't be very competitive.

I'll take the Spurs in 5 or 6 over the Thunder. Let's go with 6 just to give the Thunder some credit.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Guilty as charged
püp

Stoney Mason

This isn't the old spurs who were very effective but not the most aesthetically appealing offensive team. This is a great offensive squad to watch imo if you like offense.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I'm just ready for a new team to win.  Whether it be the Heat or the Thunder.  I'm tired of the Lakers and Spurs winning everything.  Since 2000, 8 of the Finals winners were either the Lakers or Spurs.  Fuck that, that's a terrible trend for the NBA.  These up and coming teams need their own fucking rings, for god's sake.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever

I'll take the Spurs in 5 or 6 over the Thunder. Let's go with 6 just to give the Thunder some credit.

gotcha!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
I'm just ready for a new team to win.  Whether it be the Heat or the Thunder.  I'm tired of the Lakers and Spurs winning everything.  Since 2000, 8 of the Finals winners were either the Lakers or Spurs.  Fuck that, that's a terrible trend for the NBA.  These up and coming teams need their own fucking rings, for god's sake.

This is only true to the extent that the 2012 Spurs resemble the 1999 Spurs (only Duncan and Popovich remain, offhand...) or the 2012 Lakers resemble the 2000 Lakers (only Kobe remains - not that the Lakers are winning again anytime soon of course).  Or the 2011 Mavs and the 2006 Mavs - only Dirk and Terry remained. I could go on of course. It's a philosopher's ax issue.

The NBA seems to be doing just fine. There are lots of new fans of the Thunder and Heat-haters and whatever being generated every season, whether those teams win it all or not. Ratings don't need to be high all the way to the last game of the finals for a season to be a raging success.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
The fact remains though: it's a Lakers Spurs world and has been for the better part of 12 years.  It's tiring.

I don't mind if the Spurs win, but I'll be disappointed that legitimately exciting and young teams don't win.  Thunder especially.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
just putting it out there - as good as the Celtics looked in games 3 and 5 (both blowouts), the Sixers are winning game 6 and the Celtics game 7. I am equally convinced of both. They remind me a lot of the 'if it ain't ruff it ain't right' Pistons this year.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
New teams like Miami?  In the last seven years, Wade or LeBron have been in three of the Finals and the Heat have been in two; the Spurs have been in just one.  :smug

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I think the Sixers are going to be a huuuuge threat next year
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
The fact remains though: it's a Lakers Spurs world and has been for the better part of 12 years.  It's tiring.

I don't mind if the Spurs win, but I'll be disappointed that legitimately exciting and young teams don't win.  Thunder especially.

Or the Spurs in 1999? Or the Lakers in 2000? :teehee

You'd be bored by the Thunder if they won 4 titles in 10 years or something, admit it
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Well, duh.

I just want Lebron to get one  :'(
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
I think the Sixers are going to be a huuuuge threat next year

How exactly? Is LeBron agitating to go there?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Kind of a toss-up today as to who is facing reality less: BrandNew or Kobe
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
The Leastern conference.  Rose is out most of the year, Miami will be the number one seed.  The Pacers, Celtics, and Sixers are the only other teams that will be threats next season, really.

Also, shut up I just like talking about this shit  :'(
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
a huuuuuge threat to come in, at best 3rd in the Leastern Conference? OK. I don't really see how they'll get better though. They have no lottery pick, and it's not like any of their current roster is all that good at anything other than defense. Their leading scorer comes off the bench. I daresay the Knicks will be better, assuming Lin returns. The Pacers will almost certainly be better, with cap space and lots of assets to trade or sign-and-trade.

The Celtics will likely get blown up, unless Ainge sees something really special over the next few weeks.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
a huuuuuge threat to come in, at best 3rd in the Leastern Conference? OK. I don't really see how they'll get better though. They have no lottery pick, and it's not like any of their current roster is all that good at anything other than defense. Their leading scorer comes off the bench. I daresay the Knicks will be better, assuming Lin returns. The Pacers will almost certainly be better, with cap space and lots of assets to trade or sign-and-trade.

The Celtics will likely get blown up, unless Ainge sees something really special over the next few weeks.

I'm betting you the Sixers will be the second seed.

Miami
Philly
Indy
NY
Boston
CHi
MIL
ATL
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
I don't need your money, BN :lol
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I need yours  :'(
püp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
The Pistons will be contenders before the Sixers

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
The Pistons will be contenders before the Sixers

To contend, wouldn't they need to make the playoffs first?  :teehee
yar

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
I'm cool with Spurs in 6.

And that Hardwood Paroxysm blog linked earlier to the rescue again, with regards to the Spurs:

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012/05/17/black-coffee-steely-dan-and-the-bland-refined-flavor-of-the-san-antonio-spurs/
AMC

Stoney Mason

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7959318/2012-nba-playoffs-miami-heat-dwyane-wade-lebron-james-take-issue-indiana-pacers-danny-granger

Funny enough I was gonna post about Granger in this series even before I saw this article. He's been acting like Billy Badass the entire series for some reason. And nobody in the world thinks of Granger as some kind of tough guy so I don't understand it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
it is a bit weird - the Pacers need him on the floor too. It's not like Reggie Evans instigating techs...
vjj

Stoney Mason

Do or die for indy in the 2nd half or the series is effectively over.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Haslem should be tossed
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Lebron and Wade just stylin' on a Granger-less Pacers.  This shit looks even easier than their wins against the Knicks.

Can't wait for a Celtics Heat series.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
you can't be suggesting that the #2 in East 2013 Philadelpha 76ers will lose to the Celtics now can you
vjj

Stoney Mason

Haslem will probably be suspended the next game although I thought the Pittman foul was far worse.

I don't think it matters though. Unlike the earlier games, the Pacers will seems to be broken and more importantly their offense has stalled and Miami has upped their defense.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Amazing what a difference a bit of floor-spacing makes eh. LeBron and Wade can just wreak havoc with even competent 3pt shooting. Just imagine if they'd picked up, say, two or three Steve Novaks or Matt Bonners rather than Miller or Battier. Hollinger had a good line about how Riley has an irrational devotion to (perceived) hard workers like Zo or Haslem or Battier rather than players who are demonstrably productive but maybe don't dial it up to 10 in practice or on every single play vs the Raptors in mid-January...it explains a lot, really. Overpaying for sheer grit is good for the culture but doesn't necessarily result in a well-built (i.e. varied and flexible) team.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
you can't be suggesting that the #2 in East 2013 Philadelpha 76ers will lose to the Celtics now can you

:teehee
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7951536/2012-nba-playoffs-miami-heat-los-angeles-lakers-showing-big-three-model-faults

This is patently daft, given the teams surviving in the playoffs - The Spurs, Heat, Celtics, Thunder. Anyone think the Pacers or the Sixers are gonna win? Thought not. That'll leave us with a Big 3 (Big 3 in Boston being Rondo, KG, Pierce, sorry Ray) in every single team still playing.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Who's the third man in OKC, Ibaka or Harden?
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Well, let's see, one of them is an All-Star level player and has a big bushy beard and the other blocks a lot of shots
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:15:42 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj