Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519590 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #7560 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »
Chandler basically got a four year max deal from the Knicks, didn't he?

He was the second-most important player on their championship team, but he was also a 7-footer entering his 30's who had just completed his first healthy/effective season in three years.  He carried a certain amount of risk, especially at that price.

Cuban let Nash go on similar reasoning. I mean, you and he are right about the risk, and Cuban is definitely on the ball about cap management in the new CBA era, but if ever there is a time to double-down it is just after winning a championship.
vjj

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #7561 on: January 07, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
Their next three games are at Houston. At San Antonio, and home against the Thunder. They could conceivably be 15-21 by Friday.

:)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread (Lakers week of destiny)
« Reply #7562 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »
the lakers shit-show continues.  Hill, Pau, and Howard are all hurt and won't be on the Laker's road trip.

Kobe fuckball every game basically.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7563 on: January 07, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
Sometimes life is so cruel it's delicious.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7564 on: January 07, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
The numbers here are pretty simple. Over the past five years, the eighth seed in the Western Conference playoffs has won an average of 47.8 games. To reach that mark, the Lakers, who dropped to 15-18 with last night's loss to the Nuggets, must go 32-17 the rest of the way. The upcoming schedule doesn't provide much relief, either. The Lakers travel to Texas to play the Rockets and the Spurs before heading back home for a Friday-night game against the Thunder. If the Lakers lose all three of those games, they'll need to win at a .673 clip for the rest of the season to make it to 47 wins. Of course, there's a chance the Lakers might make it into the playoffs with fewer than 47 wins, just as there's a chance (albeit much smaller) they'll miss the playoffs even if they win 49, but every other team battling in the lower half of the Western Conference playoff standings has legitimate reasons for hope: The Nuggets will play a ton of games at home in the second half, the Rockets seem to have figured out the Harden-Lin problem, the Timberwolves, who have been destroyed by injuries, will eventually get healthier.

There are actually a lot of ways a team can drastically change its fortune within a season — a key player can come back from injury; a superstar can elevate his game, à la Tracy McGrady in 2008; a coaching change can fix a glaring problem; team chemistry can improve following a pivotal win. The Lakers are healthy. Kobe is playing some of the best basketball of his career. They have already changed coaches. They are thoroughly joyless and snipe at one another and their coach through the press. What can they really do to get drastically better?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/46810/lakers-sports-talk-radio-why-they-probably-wont-make-the-playoffs

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7565 on: January 07, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
Dwight might actually leave in free agency, which basically no-one ever does, right? Wild
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7566 on: January 07, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »
Dwight is so wishy washy who knows really. But yeah I'm sure he didn't imagine this whole thing going down like this.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7567 on: January 07, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »
Hasn't he pretty much been injured all year, or at least still recovering from the back?

Dude is a clown with the skills of a sophomore high school player. He'll have a blast winning 50 games a year in Brooklyn, getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7568 on: January 07, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
oh yeah, it'll be a rollercoaster ride, I'm sure. But Cuban must be getting a bit excited again. I don't see how the Nets can get him though, unless he signs for peanuts
vjj

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7569 on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- If the Los Angeles Lakers are going to crawl out of the hole they've dug for themselves with their current three-game losing streak, they'll have to do it without their All-Star big men -- center Dwight Howard and forward Pau Gasol -- who are both out indefinitely with injuries, the team announced Monday.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7570 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
Hasn't he pretty much been injured all year, or at least still recovering from the back?

Dude is a clown with the skills of a sophomore high school player. He'll have a blast winning 50 games a year in Brooklyn, getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round.

really?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7571 on: January 08, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #7572 on: January 08, 2013, 12:09:58 AM »
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/46810/lakers-sports-talk-radio-why-they-probably-wont-make-the-playoffs

ha ha, dude's right on the money.  LA fans blame everyone but Kobe. 

Don't know why Dwight is surprised that playing in LA isn't all that fun.  Anyone not affiliated with the Lakers could have told him that. 

Losing Dwight in the offseason would be the cherry on top of what has already been a fun season for haters.  However, Lakers are one of the few franchises that won't be coerced  into a sign and trade so Howard would probably stay put. 

benjipwns

« Reply #7573 on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »
Yeah, a lot of the popular analysis of the Lakers woes have ignored the $28 million part that demands a third of possessions to mostly take long contested jumpers. Probably because he's shot so well this year it seems like he's the only part going right.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7574 on: January 08, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »
PD: You realize that positioning, timing, an understanding of help defense, etc are all "skills" just as much as passing and shooting, right?

Maybe it's the benefit of being a Wiz fan and seeing hundreds' of games worth of Kwame Brown, Andre Blatche, and Javale McGee, but I'd like to think I have a fair idea of what a talented big man coasting on his natural abilities looks like, and I only wish that it would bring Dwight's results.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7575 on: January 08, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »
Yeah, people get down on Dwight because his FTs suck and his jump hook looks unwieldy and ignore the fact that he can chase Chris Paul out to the 3pt line then get back in time to stop DeAndre Jordan at the rim. Almost no-one else can do that, as well as tell everyone else where to be, except KG, Noah and Chandler. Dwight's big problem this year is that he just can't move from spot to spot as quickly as he was once able to. He can get in the air and block a shot or dunk, so people think he's being lazy or something. I think he's just stiff and unable to move laterally the way he used to before someone stuck a knife in his spine and wiggled it around.

McGee is a great example - he has almost the perfect body for NBA defense but still sucks at team defense. He can smother anybody one-on-one and block shots so you get suckered into thinking he's good, but he actually sucks at making his team better at defense.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7576 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:49 AM »
PD: You realize that positioning, timing, an understanding of help defense, etc are all "skills" just as much as passing and shooting, right?

Maybe it's the benefit of being a Wiz fan and seeing hundreds' of games worth of Kwame Brown, Andre Blatche, and Javale McGee, but I'd like to think I have a fair idea of what a talented big man coasting on his natural abilities looks like, and I only wish that it would bring Dwight's results.

I'm talking about his offensive skill set in terms of post moves and awareness, which I have complained about for years. I've never liked Dwight's game, and it seems like it hasn't really improved. He's pretty much been dealing with nagging injuries all season but at the same time...whenever I watch him (which admittedly isn't a lot since I don't like much NBA basketball) he looks like he's just...out there.

Having played basketball in high school/AAU, Dwight reminds me of a guy who got away with freak athleticism for years and never had anyone working with him to improve his game. He's still big and strong enough to dominate physically, but that doesn't seem to be enough...plus he doesn't seem to have a dominant personality on the court
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:55:14 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7577 on: January 08, 2013, 02:03:56 AM »
So basically you're using "his game" or "skills" as synecdoche for "low post moves."  Well, that makes no sense at all to me, but have at it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7578 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:06 AM »
Phoenix ark
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7579 on: January 08, 2013, 02:08:24 AM »
I'm discussing him as a big man/center, comparing him to others in the league. This isn't a new criticism, I'm not the only person looking at his post game...

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7580 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:43 AM »
Sure, but it's also undeniable that big man post offense is a much smaller part of the game than it was, so as irksome as it may be to you, his coaches aren't clamoring for him to deliver more there. In fact, they want him running more pick and rolls, with Howard diving to the rim rather than posting up. The modern NBA game is guard pick and rolls, 3 pt shooting and team defense on a string. Dwight is a huge part of the latter and still gives his teams an easy 20pts a night on offense. I think most of the actual smooth post scorers in the league now are PFs - people like Zach Randolph, or even smallball PFs like Melo and LeBron. There are very few genuine 2 way players now so I think it's a bit unfair to really rag on Howard's offensive game given that he's an elite defender but still gets it done on offense.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7581 on: January 08, 2013, 02:15:49 AM »
Pretty awesome finish to OKC-Wizards btw - thought for sure KD had wrapped that one up.
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #7582 on: January 08, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »
One of Dwight's biggest problems is just that he has bad hands. He's not really that great at catching passes, and he's really bad for a superstar in terms of dribbling or passing. I think it also limits what he's willing to do in the post because he's skilled enough and has enough athletic advantages that he really should be able to abuse people much more down there, but he kinda shys away from it. (His FT shooting doesn't help.)

I don't know if he has small hands or if they're just bad.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7583 on: January 08, 2013, 02:20:15 AM »
I recognize the game has changed in the NBA, hence why I barely watch. And yes, Dwight plays hard on defense and helps facilitate the offense. I'm just saying I don't like his offensive game and don't think he's interested in dominating; he has the body and athleticism to do some amazing things, and when I watch him it's like seeing some superhero who hasn't honed their powers or something. That's all I'm sayin' - not a Dwight fan, sue me.

To me, like I said, he looks like someone who gets by entirely on his athleticism and size. Is he Kwame Brown? Of course not.

Mandark

• Icon
I think we've reached a mutual understanding
« Reply #7584 on: January 08, 2013, 02:34:09 AM »
To me, like I said, he looks like someone who gets by entirely on his athleticism and size.

Yeah, and we're just pointing out that that's wrong and dumb.  Gosh.

Phoenix Dark

Re: I think we've reached a mutual understanding
« Reply #7585 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:01 AM »
To me, like I said, he looks like someone who gets by entirely on his athleticism and size.

Yeah, and we're just pointing out that that's wrong and dumb.  Gosh.

Well you didn't convince me. I remain unimpressed by Superman, oh well

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7586 on: January 08, 2013, 04:51:24 AM »
Well, enjoy watching all those awesome centers in the NCAA then i guess
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7587 on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:15 AM »
I recognize the game has changed in the NBA, hence why I barely watch.

Yes.  Tell us with a straight face that at your age, you became an NBA fan for the low post play.  Lawdy.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #7588 on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
Well, enjoy watching all those awesome centers in the NCAA then i guess

Nothing like 3hrs of basketball leading to a 52-49 win.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love college hoops
[close]
itm

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7589 on: January 08, 2013, 08:01:02 AM »
I'm just tired of the type of fandom that consists of constant nitpicking of the best players, and the idea that any hole in their game comes from some lack of dedication or other personality flaw.  I'm exposed to it all the time, and it's so tiresome.  Who would want to choose to see the game through the eyes of a bitter, vaguely racist middle-aged white guy?  That Skip Bayless shit is neither fun nor informed.

Tyson Chandler still can't create a shot.  Jason Kidd never learned how to shoot off the dribble.  Ben Wallace was forever an offensive black hole.  There are really good players, who have to be considered "athletic" by any reasonable definition of the word, who everyone praises as hard workers and good teammates, who just never turn their weaknesses into strengths.

With Howard, you can either believe that his defense is purely a result of his "athleticism," which would be wrong, or imagine that he dedicates a lot of time and effort honing his defense, but doesn't really care about scoring more, which seems terribly far-fetched.  But you know, LeBron's a choker, Dirk is soft, Westbrook's a ballhog, ad nauseum.  God I wish I could put together a team of all these chumps.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7590 on: January 08, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »
actually LeBron has pretty much shut everybody the fuck up in every conceivable way really. Defense, post-game, even his 3pt shooting is deadly, and everyone knows it. Apart from the promise of multiple rings but i think we can put a few more in the book now :lol  Even Awesome-O is having to resort to stuff like 'he gets a pass from the refs'.

I GUESS THIS MEANS HE HAS NO FLAWS IN HIS PERSONALITY. AND ISN'T REALLY BLACK!
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7591 on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
The Lebron turn around is one of the more hypocritical things in my lifetime. Pretty much every commentator had some basketball or personal life critique of him before last year. He was a flawed over privileged person was the narrative. After you win a title though it erases all sins from a media perspective.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7592 on: January 08, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »
So Melo took the Knicks loss like a little bitch apparently
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #7593 on: January 08, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »
Skiles out in Milwaukee.

Blatche accused of sexual assault.
After you win a title though it erases all sins from a media perspective.
Dirk went from an epic choker who never had a single good playoff game in his life and you could never build around him to a devastating clutch winner and veteran leader the season before.

I liked the people blasting Dirk who suddenly started talking about how LeBron should learn from him and look to him as the right type of player.

A lot of the media ignores the NBA until the second round of the playoffs when they suddenly form all these concrete opinions based on three or four games that they seek to confirm with the last two rounds. It was real easy to do from like 1992-2004 because you'd get to the Finals and the Bulls or Lakers would just win anyway. So you could just talk about winners (Jordan, Kobe, Hakeem) and dismiss everyone else as losers and chokers since they never won titles.

Durant has an odd type of protection, Westbrook seems to suck up all the negative criticism into his vortex.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:47:13 PM by benjipwns »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7594 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
dirk was really fucking good in the postseason that year though.  his free throws, good god.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7595 on: January 08, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
Durant has an odd type of protection, Westbrook seems to suck up all the negative criticism into his vortex.

That and he plays for OKC which has its own media driven narrative that often gets spun. But give him 8 or 9 years in the league without a title and the narrative will turn on him too a bit especially if he ever leaves OKC.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7596 on: January 08, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
Blatche accused of sexual assault.

Not quite

Howard Beck@HowardBeckNYT
Andray Blatche was questioned by Philly police, but he is not accused of any wrongdoing, official tells my colleague @wendyruderman

From commissioner Charles Ramsey: "From all accounts, he (Blatche) was not personally involved in any kind of assault or anything like that"

Blatche was questioned and released and will not be charged.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7597 on: January 08, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
So Melo took the Knicks loss like a little bitch apparently

To be fair most NBA players detest Kevin Garnett supposedly.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/01/kevin-garnett-allegedly-told-carmelo-anthony-his-wife-tastes-like-honey-nut-cheerios/

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7598 on: January 08, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
wtf :rofl

that's fucking hysterical
püp

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7599 on: January 08, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
Ron Artest smells like Fruit Loops.
Vince Carter tastes like Cocoa Puffs.
Steve Nash is Shredded Wheat.
The Wolves are Special KKK.
Barnani is Kellogs because he's never in the Post.
I'm not even going to tell you what Garnett called Lin.

Beezy

« Reply #7600 on: January 08, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
:lol :lol :lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7601 on: January 08, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »

püp

etiolate

« Reply #7602 on: January 08, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »
I guess that would make Jason Kidd a box of Honey Smacks.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7603 on: January 08, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »
Lakers - Rockets and Heat - Pacers tonight, pretty decent card

The Rockets are unavoidably hot and cold but generally still a blast to watch.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7604 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
ooooh pacers heat sounds tasty.  close game too.  I'm tuning in now.
püp

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7605 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
Rockets D always that bad or is it just disrespect of the Lakers?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7606 on: January 08, 2013, 09:51:58 PM »
Guess Rockets don't really need to play real D

I wonder what's up with Nash.  Even I might feel some pity for the Lakers if Nash is out as well

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7607 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »
Kobe got called for travel 3 times  :lol

Guess even refs think that it's over for the Lakers

Someone put up Linsanity's nasty crossover on Artest

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7608 on: January 08, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
I don't know what to make of Miami. Yeah its early. And yeah Miami will probably raise their game for the playoffs. But the way they are getting beat by these teams is just...

Another shitty night of rebounds. Pacers +19 on the boards. Bosh with 5 rebounds again in 36 minutes. Ian Mahinmi had 5 rebounds in 18 minutes.

Rebounding is one of the few blemishes on the Miami Heat’s play this season, and most of the blame has fallen on Chris Bosh. The big man is now keeping track of his own rebounds so that he can defend himself in the press. Per Fox Sports: “I’m just counting them so everybody will get off my back,’ said Bosh, who had nobody on his case after he grabbed nine in Sunday’s 99-71 rout of the Washington Wizards at AmericanAirlines Arena. ‘That’s really it. That’s why I’m counting them. I’m like, ‘Hey, it was nine today.’ Just a start. And I got to get nine the next game, maybe even 10.’ If the 6-foot-11 Bosh grabbed 10, he would be living up to last season’s prediction, when he spoke of averaging that many a night. He didn’t come close, finishing at 7.9. This season he’s been even worse. He’s averaging 7.6, on pace to be the lowest since he pulled down 7.4 a game as a Toronto rookie in 2003-04. [...] ‘The only way we can do a better job on the boards is if each guy challenges himself a little more,’ said Bosh. ‘So I looked at it. I got to challenge myself a lot more than I have been. And I’ll make a better effort on the boards. And it was a pretty decent night.’ [...] ‘Life isn’t fair,’ Bosh said when asked if all the criticism he gets regarding rebounding is fair. ‘I’m over that. I don’t really read it. But if we win the rebounding battle, then give me credit. Even if I don’t deserve it, give it to me.’”

:poop

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7609 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
I just hope Lebron isn't too worn out by playoffs time

At this pace, even if the Heat make it to the finals, I can't see them beating fresher teams like Clippers and Thunder

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7610 on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
Lakers, team of density.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7611 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »
the pacers played well against the heat last year too, I just think they match up well.  miami will be fine.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7612 on: January 09, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
Has anyone seen a pro baller have a worse game than Sacre did for the Lakers? I mean, you don't expect lot from D League callups but yeeesh
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7613 on: January 09, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »

« Reply #7614 on: January 09, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »
Lots of rumors flying around about the Hansen-Ballmer group out of Seattle buying the Kings today.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/01/sacramento-kings-rumored-as-coming-to-seattle/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:03:05 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

etiolate

« Reply #7615 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:38 PM »
Keep poisoning them wells NBA

« Reply #7616 on: January 09, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
I'm excited to get the Sonics back, but this sucks for Sacramento fans. It didn't feel good when Bennet stole the Sonics and moved them to OKC. I feel their pain. At least in this situation, noone is lying about their intentions. Bennet was stone cold liar about wanting to keep the Sonics in Seattle, how anyone believed that is beyond me.

Bittersweet that this is pretty much the only way to get a team back in Seattle.
野球

etiolate

« Reply #7617 on: January 09, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »
Oh, the Maloofs constantly said they wanted to stay in Sacramento. "We're committed to Sacramento." lolz

It was the ending of every PR release pretty much. But then everyone saw them doing the exact opposite. So they lied, but nobody but chumps believed the lies. They even busted out a "we'll redo Arco" line after sinking their own Arena deal and then used tarps to cover up signs of sponsors who left them like their running some redneck swap meet. They also devalue a franchise they inherited and then get to sell it for way over it's real worth under the guise that it's movable.

There was also Sacramento buyers and people who were willing to buy the team and keep them in Sacramento. There's nothing decent about this move.

« Reply #7618 on: January 09, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
Sorry, man.

Like I said earlier, I legitimately feel your pain.

Huh. Now reports are saying that the Maloofs would retain a very small ownership percentage.
野球

etiolate

« Reply #7619 on: January 09, 2013, 02:59:06 PM »
This hurts the NBA in the long run in regards to negotiating future Arena deals. It's something that's been talked about outside of the move poisoning the Sacramento market. The fact that Sacramento came forward with a good deal that the Maloofs let go on and then sabotage at the last second, and then letting those same owners turn the franchise for a cool 500 million is going to make it hard for the NBA to come to other cities and be taken seriously in regards to getting public financing going. It's pretty much "How are we assured you aren't going to let the Kings happen again?" question from now on.