Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519587 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #8340 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
How can you root against this dude if you're not a cavs fan

That is some hardcore Kobe/Jordan fandom
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8341 on: February 14, 2013, 07:11:14 PM »
Why is Kobe even in this discussion
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8342 on: February 14, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »
Kobe will never be in the GOAT discussion - he's just not that good
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8343 on: February 14, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
oh man, rage incoming
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8344 on: February 14, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
Right, but I'd be very surprised if his shooting % is sustainable without his athleticism. His FT% of 74%, IMO, indicates that much of his FG% success comes from his unparalleled ability to get separation and shoot over people, as opposed to great shooting form. Plus he gets a lot of made field goals off fast breaks, which will also drop his FG% once he slows down.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

How can you root against this dude if you're not a cavs fan

That is some hardcore Kobe/Jordan fandom

I mainly just root against him going down at the GOAT. I don't want to see him get that spot because he's had everything handed to him throughout his career. Also because he's a douche, and the GOAT should be more of a dick. True karmic justice would have been him turning into a Kwame-esque bust, but since that's out of the question, I'm rooting for his all-time ranking to be kept below Jordan/Kareem/Magic/Bird/Russell.

Maybe you missed the spot-up shooting stats in that quote, or haven't been watching him shoot. As long as he has leg strength and height, he can shoot at close to the current rate.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8345 on: February 14, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
i mean, maybe Kobe can one day hope to get more rings than Horry or Kerr, if he pushes for a trade...but he's still not in the GOAT discussion ever
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8346 on: February 14, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
League Pass has been total shit the past few days, better not screw up tonight or i'll...why i'll...
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8347 on: February 14, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »
AWESOME-O admits Kobe does not belong in GOAT discussion

AWESOME-O discusses LeBron's place in GOAT discussion

flawless victory, drops mic /out

some salt for that paper cut from David Thorpe:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8940532/nba-lebron-james-vs-kevin-durant

LeBron James
I often define talent as "production without mechanics," and this applies to LeBron's incredibly improved shooting production. LeBron still does not stay balanced on most of his shots. He does not follow through consistently or hold his follow-through as long as he should. He also still falls backward too often. But his results suggest that his focus on this part of his game is stronger than ever, in part thanks to his recognition that he needs to save his body to some degree for a long playoff run.

Simply put, LeBron might be the single best NBA player this season as a spot-up shooter. Yes, you read that right. It is a frightening thought for NBA coaches who must concoct a game plan for LeBron and the Heat.

Better shooter?
Believe it or not, LeBron is now one of the top shooters in the game. But he's still not the best. That title belongs to Durant, who is so good from deep and still a bit better at knowing where to find great perimeter looks than LeBron. However, as LeBron ages, there is the possibility that he will one day be the top 3-point threat in the league.

But he also makes the passes defenses don't see coming. The man no one accounts for in transition. The teammate left open after defenses rotate and err. Those kinds of buckets are gold for a team and demoralizing for defenses. Remember when LeBron was too "sticky" with the ball? Now he is the best ball-mover/passer/elite scorer we've seen since Larry Bird.

Durant has made big strides here. His ability to stay in front of most ball handlers and bother shooters with his outstretched hand, coupled with the effort he makes physically and mentally as he executes his team's game plan, puts him into elite status as a defender for the first time. But LeBron can still defend almost anyone in the NBA and do it better than almost anyone at each position except center.

Then, a new argument will emerge:

LeBron versus Jordan.

Jordan assumed his status without anyone pushing him on the court -- he was mostly driven by what Bird and Magic had done in the past and used anything to motivate himself, as we learned during his Hall of Fame speech. So with Durant on LeBron's heels, it's possible LeBron could end up with similar accomplishments to Jordan when it's all said and done.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8348 on: February 14, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »
man, Clippers vs Lakers is gonna be such an anticlimax after Heat-Thunder. The Clippers steamrolled the Rockets like nothing I've ever seen last night, think they had 46 in the first quarter
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8349 on: February 14, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
Perhaps you could respond meaningfully without annoying everyone in this thread? Or maybe quit saying things that can't be supported rationally and expecting sympathy.

Do you know the difference between 'spot-up shooting' and a jump shot off the dribble btw? Which of those is reliant on a big vertical jump and which is one that players can still excel at when they're pushing 40?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8350 on: February 14, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
oh fuck Reggie on the mic tonight :fbm

Marv and Steve can only hope to contain him
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8351 on: February 14, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
very sensible!

I suppose all those 'LeBron is better than Kobe' articles wore you down, oh wait no-one else even took it seriously enough to discuss it
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8352 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
don't take this seriously for god's sake, i'm just having fun
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8353 on: February 14, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
it's funny how the media version of the game today is a battle of shooting efficiency between LeBron and Durant rather than a game between two teams that might meet in the Finals
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8354 on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »
62 of 82
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8355 on: February 14, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »
The practice question is kind of insulting to Kerr and Miller, really. I read this book, The Art of a Beautiful Game by Chris Ballard (?) that had a section where the author challenged Kerr to a shooting contest while he was GM for the Suns. Kerr was completely cold, having not been on a court in years, no warm-up, wearing work clothes...he still hit basically every shot. In an empty gym, those guys just don't miss. Good to hear Steve shoot Marv down on that one.

Bosh still killing it too. Not a very disciplined game so far though
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8356 on: February 14, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
fffuuuuuuuuuuck

hope he's okay
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8357 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
that was nasty, looked purely accidental to me though.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8358 on: February 14, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »
LeBron 3-5 for 11 in the first, exactly 60%

vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8359 on: February 14, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Bosh has been playing really well tonight
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8360 on: February 14, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »
I am actually glad Ray Allen is not on the Celtics, even with 2 guards out with ACL injuries
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8361 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
this is a nightmare game for OKC. Their lack of sophistication on offense is really clear. Miami knows how to stop their 'A' options, and their 'B' and 'C' shots aren't good enough to compete with the looks Miami is getting. And they are sulking as a result. Could be another epic Westbrook press conference after this
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8362 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
god.

damn.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8363 on: February 14, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »
:rofl

sent to die
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #8364 on: February 14, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »
LOL Jordan

He once said Kobe is "probably" a top 10 guard, not top 10 overall.  Now he's saying he'll take Kobe over Lebron.   I think that MJ is just saying this because it's already guaranteed that Kobe will be considered a lesser player and Lebron is the one with a legit chance to equal or surpass him. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8949448/michael-jordan-pick-kobe-bryant-lebron-james

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8365 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »
double fouls are fucking pathetic

lebron angry
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8366 on: February 14, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »
LOL Jordan

He once said Kobe is "probably" a top 10 guard, not top 10 overall.  Now he's saying he'll take Kobe over Lebron.   I think that MJ is just saying this because it's already guaranteed that Kobe will be considered a lesser player and Lebron is the one with a legit chance to equal or surpass him. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8949448/michael-jordan-pick-kobe-bryant-lebron-james

ok, he picks the criteria by which he himself looks better than either (rings), that's classic MJ gamesmanship. But given his record as a GM, who on earth can take his opinions seriously anyway
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8367 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »
Spoelstra really needed to take that tech for LeBron. Everyone could see it coming after that silly double foul call
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #8368 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »
ok, he picks the criteria by which he himself looks better than either (rings), that's classic MJ gamesmanship. But given his record as a GM, who on earth can take his opinions  seriously anyway

Yup, he will never live down the drafting of Kwame Brown

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8369 on: February 14, 2013, 09:33:43 PM »
TBH though, every GM has made blunders of that magnitude and many of them make up for it later (like David Kahn). It's because he keeps on doing it, and trading for/signing players that are equally horrible. It's only once he handed over the reins (to at least some degree) that Charlotte has gotten some glimmers of hope.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #8370 on: February 14, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »
ok, he picks the criteria by which he himself looks better than either (rings), that's classic MJ gamesmanship. seriously anyway

Actually, it's pretty dumb of MJ.  He makes Kobe's legacy much closer to his than it should. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8371 on: February 14, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
oh yeah but he also knows Kobe isn't getting a 6th
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8372 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »
i mean, come on
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8373 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
yeah there's not a high possibility of that happening

wow shaq is so fucking dumb on these halftime shows
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #8374 on: February 14, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »
This game is a beat down so far.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8375 on: February 14, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
The practice question is kind of insulting to Kerr and Miller, really. I read this book, The Art of a Beautiful Game by Chris Ballard (?) that had a section where the author challenged Kerr to a shooting contest while he was GM for the Suns. Kerr was completely cold, having not been on a court in years, no warm-up, wearing work clothes...he still hit basically every shot. In an empty gym, those guys just don't miss. Good to hear Steve shoot Marv down on that one.

Bosh still killing it too. Not a very disciplined game so far though

What was the question?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8376 on: February 14, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
Marv talked about LeBron hitting 60 of the past 60 shots (or whatever it was) - and asked Steve and Reggie if they could do that in an empty gym. Cold silence for a beat or two. Steve: 'Well, yeah. I could'
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8377 on: February 14, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47741689&postcount=7356

people just can't shut the fuck up and compliment lebron  :lol
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8378 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
:rofl

Yeah, give LeBron Steve Nash, Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol and he'd be sub.500 FOR SURE
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8379 on: February 14, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
I don't really fault Jordan for the Kwame pick; nearly every team would have drafted him in that situation. To me Jordan's failures are displayed by the bad picks and decisions he made out of thin air. Drafting Brandon Wright (then trading him for Jason Richardson) over Noah for instance, or making Adam Morrison a lottery pick. Those are legit stupid moves that can't be justified, and many teams wouldn't have made: I remember a lot of people questioning Morrison's ability to create his own offense and his poor play against athletic teams.

Perhaps other people rate drafts differently. But as a Lions fan/Joe Dumars hater, I focus on picks that weren't easy. I can't give the Lions credit for drafting someone like Stafford or Suh, who clearly were the best players available. On the flip side the Pistons drafting Darko was literally like failing to shoot a fish in a barrel.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8380 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »
Yep. And even in his player days he was a terrible judge of talent - how the fuck could you not want Toni Kukoc on your team
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8381 on: February 14, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
I don't really fault Jordan for the Kwame pick; nearly every team would have drafted him in that situation. To me Jordan's failures are displayed by the bad picks and decisions he made out of thin air. Drafting Brandon Wright (then trading him for Jason Richardson) over Noah for instance, or making Adam Morrison a lottery pick. Those are legit stupid moves that can't be justified, and many teams wouldn't have made: I remember a lot of people questioning Morrison's ability to create his own offense and his poor play against athletic teams.

Perhaps other people rate drafts differently. But as a Lions fan/Joe Dumars hater, I focus on picks that weren't easy. I can't give the Lions credit for drafting someone like Stafford or Suh, who clearly were the best players available. On the flip side the Pistons drafting Darko was literally like failing to shoot a fish in a barrel.

Jordan will always be an awful GM/owner. His ego is such that it makes it inevitable.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #8382 on: February 14, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
LOL Jordan

ok, he picks the criteria by which he himself looks better than either (rings), that's classic MJ gamesmanship. But given his record as a GM, who on earth can take his opinions seriously anyway
:lol
 If Kobe were to somehow get a sixth ring, Jordan would learn how PER works.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8383 on: February 14, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
offensive rebound by Bosh, didn't believe it 'til i saw the replay

this could get ugly. OKC are really pouty
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8384 on: February 14, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »
Brooks is gonna have so much pressure on him about Perkins after this game.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8385 on: February 14, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »
30 points, 10 of 16 for lebron

63%
püp

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #8386 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »

63%
Rich man's Rudy Gay. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8387 on: February 14, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Jordan also drafted DJ Augistine over Brook Lopez. Although to be fair I would have drafted Brandon Rush and been wrong too; I thought he'd be very good in the NBA.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8388 on: February 14, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »
reggie jackson looks like poot
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8389 on: February 14, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
all I ever think of when I see the birdman is how much those neck tattoos had to hurt
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8390 on: February 14, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
and how little i want to buy meth from him
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8391 on: February 14, 2013, 10:16:04 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47742489&postcount=7419

more hilarity

it didn't occur to me he was konex.  makes sense.
püp

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8392 on: February 14, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
I think a neck/face tattoo is a good move for a marginal NBA talent. Because it forces you to practice your ass off because you have nothing to fall back on at that point.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8393 on: February 14, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »
Andersen was basically broke even when he was getting big paydays. I fully expect him to be bankrupt within a year of being out of the league.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8394 on: February 14, 2013, 10:20:01 PM »

63%

11 boards, 6 assists, may as well leave him in to get the triple-double
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8395 on: February 14, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »
Westbrook just chucks all game
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8396 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
Rashard Lewis

:poop

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8397 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »
ooooh, game's getting interesting with lebron out

put him back in for the triple dub and back over the 60% mark
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8398 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
Rashard Lewis

:poop

It has to be tough to find the negatives for the Heat tonight but ...golf clap
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8399 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »
Has Chris Andersen ever shot from that far out before? I sense Riley's hand twitching for the red button that calls the hitman
vjj