Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519568 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread (Free Agency is here)
« Reply #13080 on: July 04, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
I wouldn't entirely mind him going to Phoenix.

But Klutch Sports needs to be shut down because of that name.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13081 on: July 04, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
I really want him to back to Cleveland. Not because I'm into any of that horseshit about he needs to go and redeem himself or anything. Just that I think it would be really fascinating to watch him play with Kyrie, and Wiggins. I think that could be an amazing team.   

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13082 on: July 04, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
I can't see him going back to Cleveland due to

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13083 on: July 04, 2014, 12:49:33 AM »
I also think that's a big hurdle. But you never know.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13084 on: July 04, 2014, 01:02:16 AM »
SportsCenterVerified account
‏@SportsCenter
THIS JUST IN: Lakers will offer Carmelo Anthony a max four-year, $95 million contract.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11174172/los-angeles-lakers-give-free-agency-pitch-carmelo-anthony
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:03:51 AM by Stoney Mason »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13085 on: July 04, 2014, 01:03:46 AM »
SportsCenterVerified account
‏@SportsCenter
THIS JUST IN: Lakers will offer Carmelo Anthony a max four-year, $95 million contract.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:stahp :stahp :stahp :stahp :stahp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13086 on: July 04, 2014, 01:11:15 AM »
I can't see him going back to Cleveland due to (Image removed from quote.)

Kenny Roda
‏@TheKennyRoda
Sources tell me the fences have been mended between @KingJames & @cavsdan as the 2 sides have met to discuss free agency. #cavs

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Rumours getting hot and heavy up in here)
« Reply #13087 on: July 04, 2014, 01:15:28 AM »
Marc SteinVerified account
‏@ESPNSteinLine
Story soon to hit online: ESPN sources say Rockets will turn attention to trying to pry Chris Bosh out of Miami IF Melo passes on Houston

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11175065/chris-bosh-eyed-houston-rockets-plan-b-carmelo-anthony
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:21:20 AM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13088 on: July 04, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »
I would love to see James with Dragic, Bledsoe, and the Morris twins, but after spending a bit of time thinking about it, I don't think that's the best talent level available, AND I don't think Lebron wants to go to the West.  He should stay in the East and continue to reach conference finals/NBA finals with ease.

So with that in mind, I think Miami and Cleveland are his best options.  Kyrie, Wiggins, Lebron sounds good I suppose...but I think Lebron needs to look for where he knows a strong PG AND center can be available.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13089 on: July 04, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »
I hope all this shit happens. I hope Bosh goes to the Rockets. I hope Carmelo goes to the Lakers. I hope Lebron goes to Cleveland. That would be some fun and fascinating shit.

Kobe and Carmelo playing fuckball together would be some funny shit to watch. Nobody else on that team would ever take a shot.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:23:30 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #13090 on: July 04, 2014, 01:23:31 AM »
Lakers need to bring Iverson out of retirement and we'd have the career #3, 4 and 5 usage rate guys together. A combined 96% of possessions!

benjipwns

« Reply #13091 on: July 04, 2014, 01:37:34 AM »
@WojYahooNBA wrote:
Yahoo Sources: Portland has reached agreement on a two-year deal with free agent center Chris Kaman.

@sam_amick wrote:
Chris Kaman's deal w/ Portland is $4.8 million in the first year and $5 million in the second year with only $1 million guaranteed, I'm told

benjipwns

« Reply #13092 on: July 05, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »
The Toronto Raptors have traded Steve Novak to the Utah Jazz. Along with Novak and the two years and $7.2 million left on his contract, the Raptors will send a future second-round draft pick to Utah, sources said. The Jazz will send the Raptors Diante Garrett, who, with a $915,000 non-guaranteed deal for this season, will be waived, sources said.

Spencer Hawes and the Los Angeles Clippers have agreed upon a four-year, $23 million deal.
"Even taking a little less money, this opportunity was too exciting to pass up," Hawes told Yahoo Sports on Friday night. "I've had a taste of the playoffs before, but being a part of this team will be just incredible. You get to a point where you really realize what's important, and I was thinking: 'What would my 12-year-old self have done? What would he prioritize?' It was this opportunity and what they're building with the Clippers."

benjipwns

« Reply #13093 on: July 05, 2014, 06:00:03 AM »

It turns out that Derrick Rose was not a part of the Chicago Bulls' pitch to Carmelo Anthony after all.

Rose, Chicago's star point guard, happened to be in the middle of his daily workout routine when Bulls officials brought Anthony into the United Center on Tuesday afternoon, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Rose actually was surprised to see Anthony, one source said. He had no idea what time the Knicks' free agent would be visiting the Bulls.

Rose broke up his workout to approach Anthony and said a brief hello, but that was the extent of his participation in the Bulls' recruitment.

Chicago took Anthony through a prepared recruitment presentation for Anthony, and Rose's impression was that teammates Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson were officially part of it, sources said.

But the Bulls' front office never asked Rose to join in.

"Derrick wasn't bothered that he wasn't a part of it," a source said. "He was just kind of shocked, like, 'Man, I didn't get the memo.'"

Rose had told Yahoo! Sports earlier in the week that he would not be involved in the recruitment of Anthony, so it seemed stunning when reports came out that he did indeed participate in the Bulls' presentation.

But there was no about-face on Rose's part, just perhaps a timely visit with Anthony to the arena set up by Bulls officials.

"Derrick was just working out, shooting jumpers, going through his normal routine," a source said. "He didn't even know what time Melo was coming."

Rose, who works out daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the United Center, did not attend a Tuesday night dinner the Bulls had with Anthony.

Despite his public stance against recruiting, sources close to Rose said he would have taken part in the Bulls' presentation if members of the front office had asked him to do so.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13094 on: July 05, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »
dunno what to make of that Rose story. He refused to help court Melo so they brought him to show that Rose is healthy?

also

Report: Bosh would prefer a four-year max deal with another team to staying with Heat for less
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/05/report-bosh-would-prefer-a-four-year-max-deal-with-another-team-to-staying-with-heat-for-less/

HiResDes

« Reply #13095 on: July 05, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
dunno what to make of that Rose story. He refused to help court Melo so they brought him to show that Rose is healthy?

also

Report: Bosh would prefer a four-year max deal with another team to staying with Heat for less
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/05/report-bosh-would-prefer-a-four-year-max-deal-with-another-team-to-staying-with-heat-for-less/

I thought Bosh agreed to a Duncan style 10mill a year contract already? I really think Lebron is staying, but he might be smart to take his talents to a younger east-coast squad if he really wants to contend every other, either that or Dallas.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13096 on: July 05, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
That's the other reason, the big three should break up. It's an odd thing to ask a player to take way below market value when he is in his prime. Duncan was 35 or 36 when he took his discount contract and that was coming off a contract where he had been one of the top paid players in the league.

Now I have my criticisms of Bosh and my view on what he is worth but its one thing to come in and take a discount when all three superstars were doing it. It's another to be asked to do it when that isn't the situation anymore when there is clearly market demand for others to pay you more. The NBA already has instituted a system where salaries are compressed and artificially lower, especially for the really great players. To then have a situation where you are asked to take way less which is what Bosh would need to do for Miami to upgrade is an odd situation. It's putting the burden on the player, not the owner.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:27:47 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13097 on: July 05, 2014, 05:35:03 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13098 on: July 06, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
Ethan J. SkolnickVerified account
‏@EthanJSkolnick
Heat waiting on answers from main trio they r pursuing (Gasol/Deng/Ariza). All longshots to some degree, w/ Ariza least likely.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13099 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I realize that if the Lakers were actually able to get LeBron, it would probably be the best move for the franchise.

IT'S BETTER THAN MELO AT MAX, THAT MUCH IS FOR CERTAIN :stahp

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #13100 on: July 06, 2014, 11:43:50 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I realize that if the Lakers were actually able to get LeBron, it would probably be the best move for the franchise.

This is a Ted Haggard moment here.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13101 on: July 06, 2014, 11:46:34 PM »

lol

benjipwns

« Reply #13102 on: July 06, 2014, 11:54:36 PM »
The Los Angeles Clippers didn't waste much time replacing backup point guard Darren Collison, agreeing to a two-year deal with Jordan Farmar on Sunday, sources confirmed.

Clippers coach and president of basketball operations Doc Rivers met with Farmar in person last week to recruit him even before Darren Collison left the Clippers to sign with the Sacramento Kings. The Lakers expressed interest in retaining Farmar as well, but were reluctant to talk contract terms until their pursuit of LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony had come to a conclusion.

"They didn't want to commit to me," Farmar told ESPNLosAngeles.com during a phone interview Sunday.

Chris Broussard: Cleveland has replaced Miami as my frontrunner to land LeBron James...
Chris Broussard: I'm not saying LJ to Cavs is done deal or I know 4 a fact; just my gut feeling based on many conversations I've had around this story... These convos aren't sourced enough 4 me to report as fact. But I've heard enough to believe "the wind is blowing" LJ back home. We'll see..

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13103 on: July 07, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
Chris BroussardVerified account
‏@Chris_Broussard
Sources: Rockets offer Bosh max deal of 4 yrs, $96 million. After weekend convo with LeBron and low offer from Heat, Bosh considering offer

You have to consider the source but it still seems very likely to be the truth.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13104 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
McBob and Granger to the Heat.

Big ol' stinkin' MEH
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13105 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:40 PM »
Granger to the Heat. Maybe he can share knee remedies with Wade.

etiolate

« Reply #13106 on: July 07, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
McBob is a very good fit for the Heatles.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13107 on: July 07, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
Both Miami pick-ups are fine if you put them with the big three. The problem is Miami has waited so long that there is a lot of courting going on towards Lebron and Bosh now.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13108 on: July 07, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
Ian Begley
@IanBegley
Keep hearing, fwiw, that the Lakers have pushed strongly the idea that L.A. can be "Carmelo's team" once Kobe's contract expires in 2 years.

That's got to be the shittiest recruitment pitch line ever.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13109 on: July 08, 2014, 12:24:23 AM »
‏@ESPNSteinLine
Popular question raised by last five teams I've talked to: Is Melo holding out in hopes Bosh goes to Houston so he can join LeBron in Miami?

benjipwns

« Reply #13110 on: July 08, 2014, 03:39:07 AM »
Cavs took down the Dan Gilbert letter: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/11186129/impassioned-letter-dan-gilbert-lebron-james-removed-cavaliers-website

Veteran forward Channing Frye has agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal with the Orlando Magic, a source confirmed to ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne.

http://nesn.com/2014/07/joel-embiid-blocks-lebron-james-on-twitter-for-not-responding-to-recruitment/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:40:57 AM by benjipwns »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13111 on: July 08, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
This puts star players in an impossible position: accept a pay cut “for the good of the team” or look like a glutton. When stars take pay cuts to stay together, fans rail against their collusion and call the NBA product a rigged game. When stars chase the money, fans rip them as pigs.

http://grantland.com/features/nba-miami-heat-double-standard-contract-sacrifice-lebron-james-chris-bosh-houston-rockets-free-agency/

etiolate

« Reply #13112 on: July 08, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
I think fans like players taking pay cuts to stay on the team and acquire more talent. They don't like players on competing teams colluding to take paycuts in the off-season to team up. Fans want some semblance of the loyalty the fans have in players, because without that loyalty existing in fans, then the league has no audience and no money.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13113 on: July 08, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
The only way to keep fans from complaining is to win championships. But fans of the other teams will still complain, though. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're worried about "fans" as some generalized amalgamation complaining about something then you're never going to do anything because 100% of fans are never, ever going to be completely happy all of the time.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13114 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:36 PM »
I think fans like players taking pay cuts to stay on the team and acquire more talent.

I bet they do. Even though if most people were themselves presented with the same situation, I doubt they would have such "honor".

I'm completely guessing here though. I don't share this loyalty mentality. It's not why I'm a fan of sports. Especially as an adult.

etiolate

« Reply #13115 on: July 08, 2014, 02:58:24 PM »
Team sports is all about rooting for the team. It's harmless, fun tribalism.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13116 on: July 08, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
I think "rooting for the team" and having a sort of silly double standard are separate things. You can root for a team without losing your intelligence or connection to how the world actually operates. Not aimed at you per se. Just a general thought.

etiolate

« Reply #13117 on: July 08, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »
Because I would move for a better job? Most of the work I would entertain wouldn't be so heavily impacted by fan support and loyalty. Pro Sports is a business where that loyalty actually matters to maintaining the business. That's why I get a headache when people try to compare situations in Pro Sports business to stuff like office jobs. You aren't just a worker in Pro Sports, you're also the product and brand.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13118 on: July 08, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
Everybody is welcome to root for a team in whatever manner they choose. Just as people are welcome to say when somebody is living on another planet with their expectations when it comes to said sports or explanations of how the sports world actually works.

benjipwns

« Reply #13119 on: July 08, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
DALLAS -- Point guard Raymond Felton admits he played poorly for the New York Knicks last season and looks forward to proving he still can play "as an elite point guard" with the Dallas Mavericks.

"Just to show everybody that I've still got it, I still can play," Felton said on a conference call with Dallas reporters. "I still can play the game at this level. I still play as an elite point guard at this level. That's just all.
:hitler

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13120 on: July 08, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
3) Movie producer Joel Silver (made Sherlock Holmes, Lethal Weapon, etc) made 4 minute trail about him being face of Lakers that was narrated by Toby Maguire

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2a5eud/details_on_lakers_pitch_to_melo/

:dead

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13121 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:18 AM »
The Charlotte Hornets and Utah Jazz restricted free agent Gordon Hayward have agreed to a four-year offer sheet at the projected maximum of $63 million that Hayward is expected to sign Thursday at 12:01 a.m., according to sources close to the process.

The Jazz, who have said for months they intend to match any offer Hayward gets, will have three days to match the offer or lose Hayward as soon as the offer sheet is signed.

Hayward took visits to Cleveland and Charlotte once free agency began last Tuesday, but Michael Jordan's Hornets made an aggressive push this week to secure a commitment from Hayward, who previously played alongside star Charlotte center Al Jefferson in Utah.

The Charlotte Observer earlier reported that the Hornets and Hayward came to an agreement late Tuesday.

The Cavaliers were strongly considering offering Hayward the max, sources said, until the opportunity to become a leading bidder for Miami's LeBron James arose.

The Jazz could have kept Hayward off the open market had they negotiated a contract extension with the versatile swingman back in October, but talks broke down with Hayward reportedly seeking a four-year contract valued at $13 million annually and Utah reportedly holding firm at $12 million annually.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13122 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
Oklahoma City Thunder coach Scott Brooks met with coveted free agent Pau Gasol in Southern California on Monday, multiple league sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com, but the team quietly considers it a "long shot" to acquire him.

During Gasol's meeting with Brooks, according to a league source, the 13-year veteran peppered Brooks with questions about the quality of life in Oklahoma City and wondered aloud about leaving a culturally diverse city like Los Angeles for middle America.

Doesn't Pau Gasol understand that Oklahoma City is the Paris of middle America!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13123 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »
‏@ESPNSteinLine
Three-team trade will see Nets acquire Jarrett Jack and Sergey Karasev from Cleveland. Boston gets Thornton, Zeller and a first

Jack move is a salary dump. Hmmm.....

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13124 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
Man, I'm going to LOVE seeing people who burned their Lebron jerseys go out and buy the new ones.

Gotta get myself a Lebron Miami jersey when he leaves.  Man looked good in black.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13125 on: July 09, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
I honestly legit don't know what is going to happen.

My brain says it makes more sense for Lebron to sign a one or two year deal with Miami. It's always easier to go with the devil you know unless the other option is absolutely better right at that moment.

I'm not sure the Cleveland option is better right at this moment. I mean it will be in a year or two. But I'm not sure right at this moment it is.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #13126 on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
Jarret Jack was a bad signing by the previous GM. So it could either be a salary dump (to help pay Lebron max) or just clearing roster space to make room for other guys. It's something they would have done regardless of the Lebron scenario.

This whole thing has been unexpectedly entertaining though. Dan Lebetard's radio show has been a lot of fun to listen to.

benjipwns

« Reply #13127 on: July 09, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
Meanwhile, ESPN's Chris Broussard reports that the Cavaliers, in addition to James, are also now trying to strike a deal with Heat free agent guard Ray Allen as a means of enticing James even more about a return to Cleveland. After briefly considering retirement following the Heat's loss to the Spurs in the NBA Finals, Allen is leaning toward returning for a 19th season, sources said.
Apparently Mike Miller too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:27:18 PM by benjipwns »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13128 on: July 09, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »
Now rumblings of Lebron, Kevin Love, Ray Allen, and Mike Miller to the Cavs.

Kyrie, Waiters, Lebron, Kevin Love, Varejao

Bench being Miller, Allen, Bennett, and a few others.

Thats not terrible...
püp

etiolate

« Reply #13129 on: July 09, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
If the Cavs are offering Wiggins and change for KLove then that sounds like the best deal Minny could get.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13130 on: July 09, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »
Final, official Nets luxury tax payment from last season according to sources: $90.57 million.

« Reply #13131 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/487006694132948995
Marc Stein        ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Follow

ESPN sources say Mavericks and Rockets RFA Chandler Parsons have reached agreement on three-year offer sheet worth in excess of $45 million
😈

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13132 on: July 09, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
Sheridan reporting Lebron has informed the Heat he will sign with the Cavs.

Wow.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #13133 on: July 09, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »
I don't believe anything until I hear from Woj, Stein or Amick.

However, since we're bored of the waiting game. If Lebron goes Cleveland, then Bosh likely goes Houston. Wade goes ??? And Ray Allen/Miller follow Lebron. There will probably be a handful of cap-based trades to coincide.

And what Melo does outside of going to Chicago really doesn't matter. The Lakers and Knicks won't be contenders with him.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13134 on: July 09, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
I don't believe anything until I hear from Woj, Stein or Amick.

Same.

These bloggers are going to look like idiots if Lebron doesn't go to Cleveland.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #13135 on: July 09, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »
and Ariza will stay in Washington...

plz stay :fbm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13136 on: July 09, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Woj tweet.

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojYahooNBA
LeBron James left the meeting without committing to a deal with the Heat, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13137 on: July 09, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Maybe he's going to the Pistons.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13138 on: July 09, 2014, 11:29:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/487006694132948995
Marc Stein        ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Follow

ESPN sources say Mavericks and Rockets RFA Chandler Parsons have reached agreement on three-year offer sheet worth in excess of $45 million

This is a big deal for the Rockets, because as soon as they match the offer, they lose the cap space to sign another free agent (ie Bosh) to a big contract.  Used to be a week to match, now I think it's three days.  So the clock is now running for them if they want Parsons and Bosh.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:01:30 AM by Mandark »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13139 on: July 10, 2014, 12:58:57 AM »