Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519567 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (US wins FIBA World Cup)
« Reply #13620 on: September 14, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »
World Cup Tournament MVP Kyrie Irving.

Simmons was saying he shouldn't even be on the team because he's never done anything in cleveland pre-tournament.

:neogaf

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13621 on: September 14, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »

FIBA World Cup All-Star Five:

Milos Teodosic (Serbia)

Kyrie Irving (USA)

Nicolas Batum (France)

Pau Gasol (Spain)

Kenneth Faried (USA)

Beezy

« Reply #13622 on: September 14, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
Bobby Shmurda won

« Reply #13623 on: September 14, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
look at rose not giving a fuck like always  :obama
😈

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13624 on: September 14, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
look at rose not giving a fuck like always  :obama

Don't fault the guy for not knowing what winning feels like.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13626 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #13628 on: September 16, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »
As a Cavs fan I am so happy to say: Fuck off with your scrub ass teams, feggits.
YMMV

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #13629 on: September 16, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »
so edgy

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13630 on: September 16, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »
so edgy

well to be fair it's been a long while sir.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13631 on: September 16, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
3edgy5me

and its only been four years, fuck out of here with that.  The Kings have been bad for like 12 years
püp

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #13632 on: September 16, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »
so edgy

y'all have 3 ECF and 2 finals appearances in the past 8 years

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13633 on: September 16, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
so edgy

Yes and we have been somewhat worse than white bread in the NBA power rankings since Lebron left. Besides we were never built to win then....when your best guys to run out in the finals are Mo Williams and random 35 year old center you ain't really dangerous.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13634 on: September 16, 2014, 02:42:23 PM »
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13635 on: September 16, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
so edgy

Yeah I'm trying to figure out which time the celtics eliminated us was considered a FINALS game.

???
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13636 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »
god bless you shinobi
püp

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #13637 on: September 16, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
so edgy

???
Yeah I noticed that like 5 minutes after I posted and was like :larry

benjipwns

« Reply #13638 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »
Within the past year, Atlanta Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. approached fellow co-owner Bruce Levenson about selling the franchise, two people familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. Levenson wasn't interested in selling but is going to do that now, and with NBA now in a seller's market, Gearon will be in position to cash in on his investment — despite financials losses in the past decade. Gearon understands that if he wants to capitalize, he needs to sell more than just his stake. The Hawks are worth more when a majority of the team is sold. So for the second time in the past few months, an ownership group mired in a controversy over the use of racial language could stand to make a significant amount of money selling the team. In the case of the Hawks, how they got here is a decade of poor judgment, mismanagement and a power play among owners.

Gearon recorded the nearly hour-long call but only a brief snippet of the audio has been made available, and there is no full transcript of the call, three people familiar with those details told USA TODAY Sports. The league requested a full transcript, but one was not provided. Ferry's comments sparked the independent review, and the aftermath has rattled the franchise. Levenson is on his way out and Ferry is on indefinite leave. Turns out, Gearon might be getting two wishes. Also in Gearon's letter to Levenson, he wrote, "The racial diversity of our management team has changed for the worse since Ferry took over."

etiolate

« Reply #13639 on: September 17, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
Watched the 2001 all-star game on NBA TV yesterday and those squads were running actual plays and curls with cuts, etc. How can Coach K not get Team USA to do any of that?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13640 on: September 17, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Watched the 2001 all-star game on NBA TV yesterday and those squads were running actual plays and curls with cuts, etc. How can Coach K not get Team USA to do any of that?

Absolutely no need to do so. Why show your hand when you're playing the equivalent of 5th graders when you're on the varsity team? Save this shiz for the olympics, bro.
YMMV

etiolate

« Reply #13641 on: September 17, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
The @SacramentoKings have agreed in principle to sign center @TheRyanHollins to one-year, fully guaranteed deal, a source told Yahoo Sports

Why god why

At least that lead me to this internet oasis. http://www.reddit.com/r/ryanhollins

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13642 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »
The @SacramentoKings have agreed in principle to sign center @TheRyanHollins to one-year, fully guaranteed deal, a source told Yahoo Sports

Why god why

At least that lead me to this internet oasis. http://www.reddit.com/r/ryanhollins

:hitler
YMMV

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13643 on: September 18, 2014, 10:24:37 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13644 on: September 18, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »

:dead

I knew he'd do it eventually.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13645 on: September 18, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
The hairline?

L-E-G-I-T

:pacspit
YMMV

benjipwns

etiolate

« Reply #13647 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »
It's obvious that the NBA needs to reduce the amount of games, but how do they get the owners to agree to less ticket sales?

Kara

« Reply #13648 on: September 19, 2014, 02:23:55 AM »
It probably won't make remaining tickets appreciably more desirable (at least not immediately) and NBA owners think they're entitled to make money for simply existing so yeah it's an uphill climb.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #13649 on: September 20, 2014, 01:04:57 AM »
With just days before the start of training camp, the Minnesota Timberwolves are making a final push to acquire restricted free-agent guard Eric Bledsoe in a sign-and-trade with the Phoenix Suns, sources told ESPN.com.

The Wolves are offering Bledsoe the four-year, $63 million maximum level contract that he has been seeking, sources said, but because of cap restrictions, the only way he can join the team as currently constructed is through a sign-and-trade deal. Bledsoe and the Suns have been in a stalemate all summer after the team offered him a four-year, $48 million deal in July.

This is a renewal of talks that have stretched over the past several months. The teams had discussions involving a Kevin Love trade that would involve Bledsoe but never made serious traction on a deal.

The Wolves, who acquired No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins after trading Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers last month, see Bledsoe as a strong running mate to their new franchise player and have made some aggressive offers to Phoenix to try to get them to accept a deal.

Bledsoe has made it clear to the Suns and any other team that he was only interested in signing a max contract and otherwise would sign a one-year, $3.7 million qualifying offer with the Suns that would enable him to become an unrestricted free agent next year.

The relationship between Bledsoe and the Suns has eroded over the contract impasse, and the Suns signed free-agent guard Isaiah Thomas to a four-year, $27 million deal in July after drafting guard Tyler Ennis in the first round in June.

Bledsoe averaged 17.7 points and 5.5 assists in 43 games for the Suns last season after being traded from the Los Angeles Clippers. He suffered a midseason meniscus injury to his right knee and returned after surgery.

Fox 10 in Phoenix earlier reported the Wolves were prepared to make a maximum contract offer to Bledsoe.

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojYahooNBA
Yahoo Sources: Phoenix has no interest in Eric Bledsoe sign-and-trade discussions with Minnesota.

Also

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Former NBA guard Rex Chapman has been arrested for allegedly shoplifting $14,000 worth of merchandise from an Apple store in Scottsdale and then selling the items at a pawn shop.

Police took Chapman, 46, into custody Friday afternoon after officers stopped his vehicle in northeast Scottsdale.

They say he's being held on suspicion of nine counts of organized retail theft and five counts of trafficking in stolen property.

Police say Chapman made it appear he was using the store's self-checkout but left without paying.

He allegedly stole from the store seven times and sold the items for cash.

Chapman, a former Kentucky star, was a first-round draft pick of Charlotte in 1988. He also played for Washington, Miami and Phoenix in a 12-year NBA career that ended in 2000.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:10:48 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #13650 on: September 20, 2014, 01:33:07 AM »
Rex Chapman  :neogaf

Wasn't he like an assistant GM in Denver three years ago or something? What happened man?

Cheddahz

« Reply #13651 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »
Eric Bledsoe is not worth the max, but no way he is gonna go back to the Suns in a positive mood, so they might as well do a sign and trade for him

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13652 on: September 20, 2014, 10:36:11 AM »
What I remember most about Chapman as a kid was that he was extremely athletic. This was in a day and age where the big white stars were more often in the clunky Danny Ferry mold.

Obviously don't know the real story about what happened here but he made decent money during his career. Not sure what happened other than the usual story of athletes wasting the money.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #13653 on: September 20, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »
What I wonder is why Rex Chapman didn't just run for public office here in KY. Shit, Richie Farmer did it successfully (until they figured out he was more crooked than me) and we liked him a hell of a lot less.
UK

Kara

« Reply #13654 on: September 20, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »
Try and fence 14K's worth of high visibility stolen goods at the pawn shop brehs.

etiolate

« Reply #13655 on: September 20, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
Zach Harper @talkhoops  ·  14h
Rex Chapman just passed John Stockton as the all-time leader in steals. Got it with a thunderbolt cable.

:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #13656 on: September 22, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »
Darko Milicic, the second pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, is giving up professional basketball in order to try his hand at kickboxing.

According to a NBASerbia.com report, Milicic will sign a contract with the World Association of Kickboxing Organizations on Wednesday to become a professional kickboxer in his native Serbia.
end of an era

Kara

« Reply #13657 on: September 22, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
FREE DARKO :stahp

benjipwns

« Reply #13658 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:47 AM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13659 on: September 23, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »

Gotta get that back loose for the bench bros.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13661 on: September 23, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »

:mynicca

etiolate

« Reply #13662 on: September 24, 2014, 12:04:45 AM »
such great touch with his right hand

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13663 on: September 24, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »
Growing up when I did with basketball, I'm a sucker for a back to the basket post game which is oh so rare nowadays.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13664 on: September 24, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »
Growing up when I did with basketball, I'm a sucker for a back to the basket post game which is oh so rare nowadays.

Same.....Hakeem, Patrick, and Brad ain't coming out of that locker room.
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #13665 on: September 24, 2014, 10:21:35 AM »
Dream Shake :noah

Destroying Rear Admiral Fraud and Ewing in the NBA playoffs. :noah

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13666 on: September 24, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13667 on: September 24, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
ESPN Statement on Bill Simmons
“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”

Restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe has reached agreement with the Suns on a 5-year, $70M extension, league source tells Yahoo.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13668 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »
ESPN Statement on Bill Simmons
“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”

Restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe has reached agreement with the Suns on a 5-year, $70M extension, league source tells Yahoo.

Look, I like pre-grantland simmons as much as the next guy....but his head has got so big recently that I can't find myself enjoying his work moving forward. It was a good run Sports guy.
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #13669 on: September 25, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »
The Sports Dork getting hammered because of his own ego. :noah

etiolate

« Reply #13670 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »
On one hand, NFL too powerful. Goodell fucked up. On other hand, Simmons peak was long ago and Grantland seems weighed down by the fact nobody will question him there because he got them all their jobs.

etiolate

« Reply #13671 on: September 25, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/RockstarCDR/status/515242579839811584

Chris Douglas Roberts bringing back short shorts this year. According to him.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13672 on: September 25, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
On one hand, NFL too powerful. Goodell fucked up. On other hand, Simmons peak was long ago and Grantland seems weighed down by the fact nobody will question him there because he got them all their jobs.

Simmons was at his best imo when he really did just seem like a fan who happened to have a job writing about sports that millions of people read. Something changed over the years though. And now functionally he is no different than any other pundit other who fantasizes about sports narratives. It worked better when he seemed less famous and popular. Now he just feels like any other espn personality and that's not a good look.

Or maybe just the whole gimmick has worn thin.

Which is a separate thing from whether he deserved to be suspended for saying what everybody already believes.

etiolate

« Reply #13673 on: September 25, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »
Yeah, I don't feel what he said was worth getting suspended over. He should have left out the dare or threat to post e-mails. That implies it's some sort of regular practice with ESPN. Just trash Gooddell, let the hush e-mails come and then talk about them. He threatened them with something they could just skip over and they did, and then proceeded straight to punishment. He just told his employers the thing that would draw them heat and so they knew what not to do in response.

As for why he's less interesting, I don't feel the shtick got old. I think his shtick relies on being daring and hip to the curve. In other words, he needs to be the other. But you can't stay ahead and sound fresh or underground if you're in a hubris bubble. Then you just become a part of the standard narrative.  Grantland is a big old hubris bubble for him. He may seem different from Stephen A Smith, but he's just as clueless at this point.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13674 on: September 26, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo had surgery to repair a broken left hand and will miss the start of the regular season, the team announced Friday night.

The Celtics said Rondo underwent a surgical fixation of a left metacarpal fracture on Friday morning at New England Baptist Hospital after injuring himself in a fall at his home Thursday evening. A source told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that Rondo told the team he slipped in the shower.

Rondo is expected to miss six to eight weeks, leaving the Celtics without their starting point guard for the start of the season. First-round pick Marcus Smart and Phil Pressey, who started 11 games as a rookie last season, are the top backup ball-handlers currently on Boston's roster.

:gurl

Cheddahz

« Reply #13675 on: September 26, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo had surgery to repair a broken left hand and will miss the start of the regular season, the team announced Friday night.

The Celtics said Rondo underwent a surgical fixation of a left metacarpal fracture on Friday morning at New England Baptist Hospital after injuring himself in a fall at his home Thursday evening. A source told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that Rondo told the team he slipped in the shower.

Rondo is expected to miss six to eight weeks, leaving the Celtics without their starting point guard for the start of the season. First-round pick Marcus Smart and Phil Pressey, who started 11 games as a rookie last season, are the top backup ball-handlers currently on Boston's roster.

:gurl
Dude just doesn't want to get traded

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13676 on: September 28, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
Ira Winderman
‏@IraHeatBeat
Wade said last season's maintenance plan was not necessarily his idea, that it "almost worked," but goal is to play every game this season.

:sabu

El Babua

« Reply #13677 on: September 28, 2014, 03:24:52 AM »
He'll prove you all wrong, just watch.

:tocry

benjipwns

« Reply #13678 on: September 28, 2014, 03:39:23 AM »

Beezy