Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519573 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: The NBA thread (GAME 4 - Thursday 9:00 EST)
« Reply #16200 on: June 10, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »
The minute you realize this guy

Is killing Steph Curry.

Also Draymond Green playing himself right out of a max contract.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16201 on: June 10, 2015, 07:17:50 AM »
The GOAT recognizes the GOAT

https://twitter.com/sportsnation/status/608443595734052864

That shit is classy on LBJ's part, chills up your spine type shit.

In before;

Quote from: Walrus
Jim Brown ranks behind Barry Sanders and every cowboy running back ever
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16202 on: June 10, 2015, 08:05:25 AM »
The Clippers must be sitting at home punching holes in a wall watching the rest of the playoffs. I think they would have bodied any of these teams left.

Nah based delle would have got chris paul ejected and suspended already and Austin Rivers would be regularly putting up 2-11, 2 assist, 5 turnover games.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16203 on: June 10, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
Unlike the first two games of the NBA Finals (5.8/18) this year, there was no overtime last night as the Cleveland Cavaliers topped the Golden State Warriors 96-91 despite a 4th Quarter surge from the West Coast team. However, similar to the first two games of this year’s series, what there was in Quicken Loans Arena in Ohio on Tuesday night was another record breaker for ABC. Not only have the first three games of the basketball finals proved the best ABC has ever done ratingswise since they started showing the NBA title fight in 2003 but in metered market results, Game 3 delivered a 13.7 rating – the best any NBA Finals Game 3 has ever done for the network. Last night’s Cavs’ win, which gives them two Games to the Warrior’s one victory, was up 10% from the previous Game 3 record holder of the 2004 battle between the L.A. Lakers and the Detroit Pistons. Compared to last year’s Game 3 court match-up between the Miami Heat and the San Antonio Spurs, last night’s game leap up 33% in MM results.

Cavaliers guard Matthew Dellavedova will be discharged from the Cleveland Clinic later Wednesday after being treated for dehydration following Game 3 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Dellavedova is scheduled to meet the media later Wednesday after spending the night at the ‎hospital. The Cavaliers said they would provide an update "shortly before" an afternoon practice at the arena.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16204 on: June 10, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
Curry's shooting issues were cause by the slight dizziness from shaking his head the whole game.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16205 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »
Thoughts so far.

It's stunning the Cavs have won two games. They have so many flaws with their current implementation obviously because of the injuries. JR smith literally is the most predictable thing in the world. You can just go send everybody to rebound when he has the ball because you know its a stepback fall away 3.

Thompson is only a rebounder at this point. He never looks for any offense and everything he gets comes from tip in or offensive rebound lay-ins.

Mozgov has been eliminated as a factor on offense for the most part like last game because it was obvious he was the only thing working besides Lebron. So they just crowd him now and make him lose the ball on tough inside passes.

They never seemingly draw up an actual play in any situation that requires it. It's just iso and have a few guys cut and maybe Lebron will make a risky pass to them but he probably won't and will instead attempt a shot.

Early in the game delladova or shump occasioanlly help bring up the ball which allows Lebron to try to get post position himself but inexplicably they go away from it in the 4th quarter and have Lebron bring up the ball nearly every time. This stagnates the offense because he has to try to drive from the top of the key against a set defense that is just waiting for it and doesn't have to move.

James Jones is just a defensive nightmare. I can't believe he is actually playing.

I'm not really sure what Blatt is doing other than being a timeout manager. He barely even manages substitutions unless somebody gets hurt.

Lebron James is playing every minute and the offense is so predicatable and lethargic most of the time until he rests for a minutes or 2 and then you realize how truly abysmal it is without him and why he has to play almost every single minute.

It's barely recognizable as basketball. They almost never actually make more than a few passes on any set and many of those are just resets back to Lebron.

All that insane shit and the Warriors are down 2-1 and it could have been 3-0. One of the most baffling things I've seen in my entire lifetime of watching basketball.

I keep thinking the Warriors have to figure this out and kill the Cavs at any moment because that's the way basketball works and there is still a good chance they will and do that very thing but wow at this moment.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16206 on: June 10, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »
I'm happy that these Finals are killing it in the ratings.  I think there was some fatigue with the Heat and the Spurs the last few years
püp

Stoney Mason

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

benjipwns

« Reply #16209 on: June 10, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »

benjipwns

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:11:45 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #16211 on: June 11, 2015, 12:11:02 AM »

such a mouth, Walrus fits in perfectly with these fans :yuck

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #16212 on: June 11, 2015, 12:43:36 AM »
Check out this montage of Bogut setting picks.

http://streamable.com/hvy6

:lol

benjipwns

« Reply #16213 on: June 11, 2015, 12:54:01 AM »
The elbow to the head one was a nice touch since the elbow came after the pick. :lol

After watching it loop a few times, there's some decent examples of how good the Cavs D has been in this too. They don't give a shit about the roll man until Curry (and on one instance, Thompson) gives up the ball. Then they drop back and switch except for Thompson's man.

EDIT: I do wonder if that's not a reason to give David Lee some more burn, which they did in game three, since he can pop that long two a bit. Cavs seem quite willing to let Draymond, Bogut, Ezeli and Barnes try to beat their switches.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:59:26 AM by benjipwns »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16214 on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:20 AM »
I bet Lee will play heavy heavy minutes in game 4.  At this point Golden State shouldn't be focused on being all-around; they need their offense to do more.  Cleveland is going to struggle to get points regardless, so might as well just try and beat them with smaller lineups and an offensive-oriented guy like Lee.
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16215 on: June 11, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »
When they had Lee in the pick and roll, the Cavs started switching rather than trapping Curry, because they were worried about an unguarded Lee having the ball in a 4-on-3.  There was a lot of Tristan Thompson switching onto Curry, and that's a matchup Curry should just light on fire.

The downside is if you wind up with Lee as the primary rim defender, or dragged into defending the pick and roll himself.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16216 on: June 11, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
I expect big adjustments in whatever manner because Steve Kerr is a smart coach and the team will be incredibly desperate tonight obviously to not go down 3-1.

This should be the best version of the Warriors tonight. High probability they should win this one.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16217 on: June 11, 2015, 09:55:05 PM »
so the dubs finally remembered how to offense

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16218 on: June 11, 2015, 11:08:55 PM »
Yes. Anybody with a brain. He's a good solid rebounder. Nothing more. Nothing less. He's a good player. That's not a slight.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16219 on: June 11, 2015, 11:10:56 PM »
Just got home although I watched the first half over a friend's. As expected the Warriors have looked much better tonight. Lebron wasn't having a great half even before the cut. And the shots that were falling for the Cavs in earlier games just haven't been tonight.

Warriors have been in control all night despite the relatively small lead going into the 4th. It feels bigger.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16220 on: June 11, 2015, 11:27:42 PM »
The Cavs kind of over-reacted to that Deli game the prior night. He has been pretty awful tonight. I think he tried to do too much instead of just picking his spots and doing stuff if he needed to. Tonight he was too aggressive.

Looks like things are going to be evened up. 3 games left. 2 at home for the Warriors. Not a bad position to be in for how they've played much of this series.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #16221 on: June 11, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »
First game i've managed to watch. Bad viewing angles on shitty work laptops :rejoice

Feel relieved. It's friday afternoon here, great start to the weekend.
◕‿◕

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (GAME 5 - Sunday 9:00 EST)
« Reply #16222 on: June 11, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »
Not an unexpected result but not a great sign if you are a Cavs fan. Things reverting back to the mean isn't a good look for the Cavs. And If it comes down to average results for both teams and coaching, its looking rosy for the Warriors.

dkdk

« Reply #16223 on: June 12, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »
cavs are gassed. if they dont steal game 5 w/ that extra day of rest they fucked.

naff

« Reply #16224 on: June 12, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »
More importantly anyone catch brons dick? Thoughts?
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16225 on: June 12, 2015, 12:28:50 AM »
More importantly anyone catch brons dick? Thoughts?

PD's probably been studying it for hours now
yar

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16226 on: June 12, 2015, 12:35:53 AM »
Mozgov with 28

Kerr needs to throw Draymond and company at him early in game 5, get him in foul trouble

ToxicAdam

« Reply #16227 on: June 12, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
Lebron's cock shot feels like another pivotal moment in Cleveland sports history. Right up there with the fumble, the drive and the shot.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16228 on: June 12, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13065011/some-cleveland-cavaliers-feel-team-benefit-giving-more-players-minutes

Windhorst article so not sure if the sources are correct but the reality is correct either way which is why I haven't been impressed by Blatt. You are telling me that Mike Miller and Shawn Marion can't even get off the bench for a couple of minutes to spell people. He just seems to never make changes unless his hand is completely forced. I get that he is low on options in comparison to Kerr but he always coaches like he has no options.

benjipwns

« Reply #16229 on: June 12, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
The Detroit Pistons have acquired forward Ersan Ilyasova from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for forwards Caron Butler and Shawne Williams.

svg doin work

:rejoice

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16230 on: June 12, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »
I like Ersan's game, he's been playing shitty these past couple of seasons, hopefully a change of scenery does him some good

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16231 on: June 12, 2015, 04:56:38 PM »
I think Blatt's coached a great series.  Dude has made the Cavs a really good defensive team with great player to player adjustments.

Big test will be to see how he responds to Kerr's adjustments to go small.  I would continue with the starting lineup of Delly/Shump/Lebron/Thompson/Mozgov, but I would put the ball in Shumpert's hands more than Delly.  Delly's offensive is dragging because of his effort on Curry on the other end.  From the bench, they need to play Miller, Marion, and Joe Harris.  I think Harris could spark something.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16232 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:28 PM »
PD:

http://deadspin.com/jason-whitlock-out-as-head-of-the-undefeated-1710977185

This is a fancy way of saying Jason Whitlock is a terrible manager and an incompetent editor, and was deemed by Bristol to be incapable of successfully launching The Undefeated, but he’s still under contract so they’ll keep him around to do some other stuff where he can’t ruin other people’s careers.
püp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16233 on: June 12, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
Good. Fuck em.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16235 on: June 14, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
Momentum seems to have shifted depending on how you are defining momentum so it seems a tall order for the Cavs tonight. The Cavs are (obviously) struggling offensive but especially these two.

JR smith FG-30% for the series.
Shumpert FG-25% for the series.

They need something better than that from those two. The problem is the offense is so vanilla and predictable at this point, they are unlikely to do any better.

Beezy

« Reply #16236 on: June 14, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »
Expecting offense from Shump is lolworthy.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16237 on: June 14, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
The Detroit Pistons have acquired forward Ersan Ilyasova from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for forwards Caron Butler and Shawne Williams.

svg doin work

:rejoice

Is this guy good? Seems odd for a team to trade someone to a team within the division.

In SVG I trust tho. Anything is better than Dumars.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #16238 on: June 14, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »
Lololol what a flop
dur

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16239 on: June 14, 2015, 10:23:04 PM »
Just got home. Been close all game

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16240 on: June 14, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
Its over. Warriors just too strong against such a thin squad.

naff

« Reply #16241 on: June 14, 2015, 10:54:52 PM »
GSW putting up numbers like their normal selves, Curry hit some beautiful daggers. Cavs worked hard, though with GSW hitting I'd say tonight's going to look like a good effort, following the inevitable game 6 demolition.
◕‿◕

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16242 on: June 14, 2015, 11:53:31 PM »
Is this guy good?
like Channing Frye but a much better rebounder

T-Short

• hooker strangler
Re: The NBA thread (GAME 6 - Tuesday 9:00 EST)
« Reply #16243 on: June 16, 2015, 03:45:39 AM »
Lance to Clippers for Spencer Hawes and Matt Barnes!

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/06/15/clippers-hornets-trade-wire.ap/index.html
地平線

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16244 on: June 16, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »
^ thats a weird fucking trade

Even if the Cavs lose tonight, what an awesome, batshit finals this has been.  Relatively close every game other than one, astounding performances from the best players on each team, and then random wtf storylines out of nowhere (Delly, Iggy not hitting FTs, etc).  Great in-series adjustments by Kerr.  Blatt and Lebron can only do so much with so little.  I think the fact that they took this series to 6 with Lebron + Cleveland's bench trash is a very good sign for next season when everyone is healthy.

You absolutely cannot pin this finals loss on Lebron.
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #16245 on: June 16, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
It's actually a pretty smart trade for both GM's in terms of their own PR. They get to erase the embarassment of those signings and not really be liable if their 'new' player still sucks. Plus, there is still the outside chance that one of them will regain a semblance of their old form. My bet would be on Hawes.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16246 on: June 16, 2015, 12:16:59 PM »
Chris Paul is going to kill lance within the first month of next season.....
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16247 on: June 16, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »
Actually wouldn't Chris Paul pretend like Lance killed him, and call the police?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16248 on: June 16, 2015, 12:54:22 PM »
Actually wouldn't Chris Paul pretend like Lance killed him, and call the police?

Touche'

Ya know what, that's also a fitting representation of how Walrus argues politics. Heh....
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16249 on: June 16, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »

Even if the Cavs lose tonight, what an awesome, batshit finals this has been.  Relatively close every game other than one, astounding performances from the best players on each team, and then random wtf storylines out of nowhere (Delly, Iggy not hitting FTs, etc).  Great in-series adjustments by Kerr.  Blatt and Lebron can only do so much with so little.  I think the fact that they took this series to 6 with Lebron + Cleveland's bench trash is a very good sign for next season when everyone is healthy.

Lebron has indeed played great especially for these circumstances.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16250 on: June 16, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »

Lebron has indeed played great especially for these circumstances.

Absolutely no doubt who's better between him and Kobe anymore. Put Kobe on the Cavs they don't get by Chicago. Put Lebron on those Lakers squads they still get their titles.
YMMV

ToxicAdam

« Reply #16251 on: June 16, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »
Heard this stat today:

Lebron: 44 assists / 16 turnovers

Every other Cav: 37 assists / 42 turnovers

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16252 on: June 16, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »
Cavs started off real bad but only a 2 point game at half. Still feels like the Warriors are in control though despite whatever the score is.

naff

« Reply #16253 on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
Game is way closer than it should be. Cavs looked dead in the first quarter, GSW seemed to be cruising in the second, just letting the Cavs glide by. It's like their strategy is to let the Cavs tire themselves out then proceed to destroy in the 4th.
◕‿◕

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16254 on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »
Game is way closer than it should be. Cavs looked dead in the first quarter, GSW seemed to be cruising in the second, just letting the Cavs glide by. It's like their strategy is to let the Cavs tire themselves out then proceed to destroy in the 4th.

Its basically been the formula for the last few games so why not.

naff

« Reply #16255 on: June 16, 2015, 10:54:52 PM »
Blatt halftime speech was bleak... Stuttering and talking about margin for error  :foxx
◕‿◕

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #16256 on: June 16, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
cavs are pathetic

naff

« Reply #16257 on: June 16, 2015, 11:24:43 PM »
I got a little love for their team. Blatt must be the most milquetoast coach out there though, and Dan Gilbert and his staff seem pretty daft.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #16258 on: June 16, 2015, 11:30:40 PM »
wonder how much is just being a product of that environment, waking up to that history of failure and rust belt depression everyday gotta be hard
◕‿◕

Cheddahz

« Reply #16259 on: June 16, 2015, 11:31:11 PM »
Lil B did more work than Klay Thompson did this series

He better be on that championship float