Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519570 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread (Buss Out. Magic In)
« Reply #18660 on: February 23, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »
couple more deals trickled in:
The Phoenix Suns are acquiring forward Mike Scott from the Atlanta Hawks for cash, sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst.
The Toronto Raptors are sending center Jared Sullinger and two second-round draft picks to the Phoenix Suns for forward P.J. Tucker, sources confirmed to ESPN.

benjipwns

« Reply #18661 on: February 23, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
Deron Williams might consider the Cavaliers too apparently.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18662 on: February 23, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
Deron Williams might consider the Cavaliers too apparently.

aw shit
püp

Syph

« Reply #18663 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
apparently Phil was demanding picks along with Rubio for Rose and then at the last minute offered to do it straight one-for-one but the deadline was past

NEW YORK KNICKS BASKETBALL
wtf is happening with phil
XO

benjipwns

« Reply #18664 on: February 23, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »
Russillo
@ryenarussillo

Deron Williams to Cleveland sounds done, matter of paperwork. Next target is Bogut.
Maybe they can get Ognjen Kuzmic and have both of the 2015 champion Warriors seven footers.

etiolate

« Reply #18665 on: February 23, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #18666 on: February 24, 2017, 04:55:28 AM »
Buss sucked but he basically he lost his job because he extended Kobe with that insane contract that delayed the rebuilding process.

Setting aside the fact that that's a legitimate cause to terminate someone on its own, he also spectacularly mishandled the post-Shaq "rebuild" (how quickly we forget the architect of the following starting 5: Smush Parker, Kobe Bryant, Luke Walton, Lamar Odom, and Kwame Brown) and, instead of taking his lumps for that and trading Kobe when he asked to be traded (as Jeanie and Phil advocated at the time), he kicked the can up the road once again. Even Anno doesn't have this many failed rebuilds.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18667 on: February 24, 2017, 05:15:05 AM »
Setting aside the fact that that's a legitimate cause to terminate someone on its own, he also spectacularly mishandled the post-Shaq "rebuild" (how quickly we forget the architect of the following starting 5: Smush Parker, Kobe Bryant, Luke Walton, Lamar Odom, and Kwame Brown) and, instead of taking his lumps for that and trading Kobe when he asked to be traded (as Jeanie and Phil advocated at the time), he kicked the can up the road once again. Even Anno doesn't have this many failed rebuilds.

YOU GUYS WON TWO TITLES AFTER THAT.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #18668 on: February 24, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »

YOU GUYS WON TWO TITLES AFTER THAT.

Not all of us are Alan Greenspan fans, Mandark.

etiolate

« Reply #18669 on: February 24, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »
Laker fans are sub-human. You just have to accept that when dealing with them.

benjipwns

« Reply #18670 on: February 24, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18759654/golden-state-warriors-asked-turner-sports-address-shaquille-oneal-criticism-javale-mcgee
The Golden State Warriors have reached out to Turner Sports to discuss Shaquille O'Neal's ongoing coverage of center JaVale McGee, league sources told ESPN.

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors contacted Turner officials to express concern about TNT's yearslong McGee coverage on the "Shaqtin' a Fool" segment on the popular "Inside The NBA" show, with the team contending that the ongoing negative portrayal of the veteran center is doing unnecessary damage to McGee's reputation.

A Turner source confirmed the discussions with the Warriors and told ESPN that "the matter has been discussed internally" after a Twitter feud erupted Thursday night between O'Neal and McGee.
"Shaq was a s---ty free throw shooter. He missed dunks. He airballed free throws. He couldn't shoot outside the paint," Durant said. "He's bigger than everybody. He didn't have any skill, but he was bigger and stronger than everybody. And he's still a great player, but you had your flaws too as a player. And he played on five or six teams too, so it's not like he was just like this perfect center. You had your flaws, too."

FStop7

« Reply #18671 on: February 24, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
Quote from: Kevin Durant
I didn’t know cops could threaten civilians like that

:lol :lol :lol Sometimes KD makes it really hard to hate him.  That's hilarious.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fuck KD
[close]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #18672 on: February 24, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »
Shaq made it impossible for me to watch Inside the NBA anymore.

Syph

« Reply #18673 on: February 25, 2017, 04:07:22 AM »
shaq going for the jugular
 :shaq

mcgee getting his mom to fight his battles on twitter
 :heh
XO

etiolate

« Reply #18674 on: February 25, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #18675 on: February 26, 2017, 04:08:19 AM »
Speedy Claxton did that to get through a screen Jerome James was setting once.

benjipwns

« Reply #18676 on: February 26, 2017, 04:56:10 AM »
Quote from: ESPN
Pelicans running out of time to adjust to DeMarcus Cousins' presence
Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins will be a great duo someday, but the Pelicans need them to figure out how to play together quickly
it's been two games :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18677 on: February 26, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »
I really like the Deron Williams pick-up. Lebron has rarely played with a good pass oriented point guard and  that should help take some of the pressure off of him being the primary ballhandler. Also really works well for the 2nd unit since he basically will function in the role of Delladova.

Nola

« Reply #18678 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:22 AM »
Quote from: ESPN
Pelicans running out of time to adjust to DeMarcus Cousins' presence
Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins will be a great duo someday, but the Pelicans need them to figure out how to play together quickly
it's been two games :lol

Trying to stir the drama already lol.

Meanwhile in reality:
https://twitter.com/Jim_Eichenhofer/status/836060850200932353?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/Jim_Eichenhofer/status/836056880376131585?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

They are fine. Other then a bullshit tech tonight that will get him suspended, Cousins has been doing and saying all the right things. He seems to be bought in. Jrue just needs to get back to being aggressive and playing at least like an average point guard and they win two of these last three.

etiolate

« Reply #18679 on: February 27, 2017, 12:13:16 AM »
I never realized how poor Jrue's ball control is until I started watching more Pels games.

Ideally, Jrue needs to attack and look for his shot.

Nola

« Reply #18680 on: February 27, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »
I never realized how poor Jrue's ball control is until I started watching more Pels games.

Ideally, Jrue needs to attack and look for his shot.

He has always had 1-2 bonehead turnovers a game but since the allstar break Jrue looks worse then he has at any point in a New Orleans uniform.

I get synergy issues but it has gone beyond that. Hopefully a couple days off and his teammates all re-iterating(like Davis said after the game) for him to just get back to attacking and playing aggressive like he was during his run before the break where he legit looked like an elite guard.

Nola

« Reply #18681 on: February 27, 2017, 12:23:10 AM »
On another note, Buddy has looked pretty good in his first two showings with you guys.

I doubt he becomes the next Steph Curry lol, but when all is said and done it might not end up as bad for you all. Time is running out for the Pels to start clicking and I could realistically see you all getting the 5 or 6 pick and Buddy turning out to be a pretty good player.

etiolate

« Reply #18682 on: February 27, 2017, 01:09:09 AM »
Since the trade, Skal has been the most impressive player. Face up jumper, athletic, and even rebounding with that stick frame.

I Think the Pels will be fine. The Casspi injury really hurts tho.

Nola

« Reply #18683 on: February 27, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
Since the trade, Skal has been the most impressive player. Face up jumper, athletic, and even rebounding with that stick frame.

I Think the Pels will be fine. The Casspi injury really hurts tho.

Still not happy we cut him because I wanted to convince him to stay with us next season. Doubt he comes back after we cut him twice now. The Pels biggest issue is depth. The team falls off a cliff talent wise after Jrue/Cousins/AD.

Seal is a guy I almost completely forgot about. You all don't seem to know how to draft guards, but you seem to do well finding big men.

etiolate

« Reply #18684 on: February 27, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
Yeah, they suck at drafting guards. They have nobody that understands how to grade the PG spot or judge guard skills. You can't point to Isaiah and say they knew then, because they also drafted Jimmer in that same draft and it was a throw-away last pick of the draft. The idea was either pick him or someone else and invite the other guy to camp.

Part of the riff with Cousins was that he'd see this bunk ass guards they'd draft in pre-season and quickly realize they couldn't do anything but shoot in the gym. Malachi has been their best looking guard pick in years.

benjipwns

« Reply #18685 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:36 PM »

Syph

« Reply #18686 on: March 01, 2017, 04:53:44 AM »
KD  :tocry
XO

benjipwns

« Reply #18687 on: March 01, 2017, 06:21:55 AM »
Is Durant running from LeBron? Stephen A. Smith believes a big reason Kevin Durant didn't join the Wizards was to avoid facing LeBron James until "absolutely necessary."

FStop7

« Reply #18688 on: March 01, 2017, 04:28:57 PM »
Just saw the news about Durant.  That fucking sucks.  I'm all the way on the KD/GSW hate train but I don't want dudes getting hurt and it's going to be a hollow victory if someone takes down GSW when they're at less than full strength.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18689 on: March 01, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
Just saw the news about Durant.  That fucking sucks.  I'm all the way on the KD/GSW hate train but I don't want dudes getting hurt and it's going to be a hollow victory if someone takes down GSW when they're at less than full strength.

If you can't accept your team getting a hollow victory, you're not a true fan. :rejoice
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18690 on: March 01, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
cavs in 6
püp

Syph

« Reply #18691 on: March 01, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »
cavs in 6
against the raptors, maybe
XO

El Babua

« Reply #18692 on: March 01, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »
He might be back for the 2nd round.

Injuries like this needs months to properly heal. Don't want a D.Rose situation when he comes back early.  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
They should just tank to avoid the 8th seed in case the Pelicans get in :lol
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18693 on: March 03, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18809477/derrick-rose-new-york-knicks-getting-used-triangle-offense

Phil Jackson has reached his inevitable destiny of being a cranky old man yelling at the clouds.

Stoney Mason

Kara

« Reply #18695 on: March 03, 2017, 11:56:41 PM »
Jim Buss only got fired for signing Kobe to a bad contract.

benjipwns

« Reply #18696 on: March 04, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
Long term it actually probably wasn't too bad of move, paid off their star so he got to go out with a historic shot jacking season while their first piece in Randle was injured and they could completely reboot with a new young core. They had to make a break with Gasol at some point AND dumping Bynum worked out as well as could be hoped considering Howard's already bolted on the team he left the Lakers for.

Plus they got to hire and fire Byron Scott before he could hurt the team by angering all his players too much.

Worked pretty well for the Cavs. :idont

His real stupid move was promising to his sister who was also his boss that they'd be a contender by this season. :lol

benjipwns

Syph

« Reply #18698 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:35 PM »
Bogut just broke his tibia 1 minute into his Cavs debut....
XO

El Babua

« Reply #18699 on: March 06, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
Feels good to win back to back against the defending champs  :rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18700 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:01 PM »
wow at Bogut. That's one of the craziest things I've seen in awhile.

Fifstar

« Reply #18701 on: March 08, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
 :bow :bow2
Gulp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18702 on: March 08, 2017, 09:22:34 AM »
Greatness.
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #18703 on: March 08, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
Skal continues to be the best looking young guy on the Kings since the trade, which is not a great thing when he's not the guy you traded to get. You just weren't playing him.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18704 on: March 09, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18848217/all-backfires-how-brooklyn-nets-rebuilding-nothing

I tend to prefer these kind of articles about the sad sacks over the contenders.

etiolate

« Reply #18705 on: March 09, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #18706 on: March 10, 2017, 01:45:25 PM »

FStop7

« Reply #18707 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »
Steve Kerr is such a fragile bitch.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18709 on: March 15, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
 :gurl

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- New York Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek believes the team's triangle offense can be a potential draw for free agents this summer.

"There might be players that think [the triangle offense is a deterrent], but there are also probably players out there that say 'Oh man, I'd like to run something like that,'" Hornacek said Wednesday. "There are guys that may not necessarily like to run around and in [screen] staggers and all that stuff. It's still an offense where guys, if they're knowledgeable about the game, should like."

http://www.espn.com./nba/story/_/id/18916573/triangle-lure-free-agents

Coach of the knicks must be what its like to be a press secretary under Trump. You just have to spout 24/7 bullshit just cause.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18710 on: March 17, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »

Disgusting

benjipwns

« Reply #18711 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:18 AM »

Syph

« Reply #18712 on: March 24, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »
It occurs to me there is no March Madness thread.....

Wtf is happening to Baylor right now tho? Crazy, I guess SC last round wasn't a fluke...RIP Coach K

Looking forward to a UCLA chokejob tonight so I don't have to hear that clown ass Lavar Ball speak anymore smh guy's an idiot
On the other hand I can't in good faith cheer for Kentucky given my Jayhawk allegiance...speaking of Jayhawks yall see the game last night?  :jawalrus
XO

Syph

« Reply #18713 on: March 24, 2017, 11:41:52 PM »
Wow Kentucky is playing such an excellent game
Great time management too

Also Devin Booker just dropped 70 goddamn points
XO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18714 on: March 24, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18715 on: March 25, 2017, 02:01:29 AM »
holy shit
püp

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #18716 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:30 AM »
Feeling pretty elite right now :smugface
dur

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #18717 on: March 25, 2017, 03:11:45 AM »
dur

etiolate

« Reply #18718 on: March 25, 2017, 03:16:04 AM »
Booker essentially put up 70 garbage time points. I can't hate, but putting up 70 and getting blown out has got to bite.

Syph

« Reply #18719 on: March 25, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »
jayhawks
 :tocry
XO