Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1313218 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: International Politics Thread - Will trade grandma for EU passport
« Reply #2520 on: October 17, 2016, 02:58:15 AM »
To be fair, the MoD did undergo a rather severe round of cuts recently.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2521 on: October 17, 2016, 03:12:35 AM »
Britain is a Nato member, one you can rely on, like when they attacked Germany after it invaded Poland, or like how they traded Poland for Greece after the war.

Maybe if they did their job back then they would t have a million Polacks there now

just s thought

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2522 on: October 17, 2016, 03:14:52 AM »
We doing the Great Betrayal debate now ?
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2523 on: October 17, 2016, 03:43:03 AM »
At least they didn't forget about Poland.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2524 on: October 18, 2016, 12:57:07 AM »
We shouldn't be afraid to talk about the myriad Poles who betrayed Bolesław Bierut by working with agents of foreign imperialism.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2525 on: October 18, 2016, 01:57:18 AM »

There is no debate, the betrayal was real

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2526 on: October 18, 2016, 02:37:49 AM »

There is no debate, the betrayal was real

Make no mistake, Central Europe had to suffer through a double down. There's realistically not a lot more that Western powers could have done to avoid it though once the Red Army was there.
ὕβρις

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2527 on: October 18, 2016, 03:04:44 AM »
Perfide Albion is a thing for a reason.

fizzel

« Reply #2528 on: October 18, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »
Britain is a Nato member, one you can rely on, like when they attacked Germany after it invaded Poland, or like how they traded Poland for Greece after the war.

Maybe if they did their job back then they would t have a million Polacks there now

just s thought

It's Limeys job to fight for vodka swilling 'tater heads? The red army of '45 would have pushed all the way to the French coast if given half the chance.

Polacks are so used to getting your arses kicked you're incapable of thinking clearly. Maybe drop the christ of nations narrative and stop kicking the shins of your bigger neighbors.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #2529 on: October 18, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
Embrace false consciousness brehs

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2530 on: October 20, 2016, 04:53:49 AM »
The "Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement" between Canada and Europe is starting to go the way of the dodo like its US cousin (TIPP/TAFTA), since several instances in the french-speaking regions of Belgium have voted to refuse handling signature power to the federal authorities for its adoption, with possibly more members following. Germany and France are still on board but reservations are mounting, with the French junior minister in charge admitting a deal is probably not possible anymore.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2531 on: October 20, 2016, 05:07:19 AM »

just s thought

It's Limeys job to fight for vodka swilling 'tater heads? The red army of '45 would have pushed all the way to the French coast if given half the chance.

Polacks are so used to getting your arses kicked you're incapable of thinking clearly. Maybe drop the christ of nations narrative and stop kicking the shins of your bigger neighbors.

I didn't say it was, it was you guys who made the promise

The sun used to never set on the British Empire, but if your word means so little it's no surprise it sets exactly at 5:56 pm Greenwich time now every day

Syph

« Reply #2532 on: October 20, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »
LOL Philippines
XO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2533 on: October 20, 2016, 08:21:55 PM »
Duterte really hates Obama, doesn't he?

Also: I'd like to know how all this is playing out among Filipinos, since I've always heard that Filipinos have a very positive view of America.
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2534 on: October 20, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »
Holy shit!!! One of my good friends from high school was Filipino!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
23 years ago :fbm
[close]
©ZH

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2535 on: October 21, 2016, 01:29:53 AM »
Duterte really hates Obama, doesn't he?

Also: I'd like to know how all this is playing out among Filipinos, since I've always heard that Filipinos have a very positive view of America.

"New study finds high correlation between liking US president B.Obama and propensity to smuggle and deal drugs"  :-\
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2536 on: October 22, 2016, 01:38:12 AM »
Well, Venezuelan officials suspensed the procedure for an early recall of the presidency. And congress (held by the opposition) was bypassed on the latest budget vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/21/venezuela-president-maduro-recall-referendum

Meanwhile, some UN staff members are not too pleased with Wonder Woman being appointed as an honorary member

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/21/wonder-woman-un-ambassador-staff-protest

The choice of Wonder Woman was not the first time a fictional honorary ambassador was chosen to represent the UN. Previously, Winnie the Pooh was an ambassador for International Day of Friendship, and a character from Angry Birds was chosen for International Day of Happiness, according to NPR. Tinker Bell was made “honorary ambassador of green” in 2009.

How do you do fellow kids ?
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #2537 on: October 22, 2016, 03:10:05 AM »
Five different lower courts in different states issued nearly simultaneous rulings on Thursday on the fraud charges prompting the electoral council – which had previously certified the signatures – to call the suspension.

“This 1% is deeply stained with fraud and lies,” said Jorge Rodríguez, the head of the commission that reviewed the initial signatures.
so it was rigged, the democratic will of the people to continue supporting Maduro will not be overthrown by a corrupt and fraudulent 1%

the us is one to talk what with what happened to bernie sanders and the whole thing with minorities and stuff

Another woman who agreed to be quoted said the choice of character sent a toxic message about strong women and that the UN should be countering such representations of body image, not reinforcing it. “On every imaginable level, we think she is a poor choice,” she said. Wonder Woman’s American flag costume, she said, was akin to “pop culture imperialism”.

“For something that is this important, you need a woman or a man who can speak, somebody who can travel, somebody who can champion these rights, somebody who is able to have an opinion, somebody that can be interviewed, somebody that can stand up in front of 192 member states and say this is what we would like you to do,” she said.
exactly, there needs to be one woman, or a man, who speaks for all women, a mascot can't shoulder than burden of telling member states the global interests of 50+% of their populations

robin lopez was right

benjipwns

Raist

« Reply #2539 on: October 22, 2016, 03:44:55 AM »
At least it's an improvement over Hermione Granger.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2541 on: October 23, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
 :sabu

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2542 on: October 23, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
Thankfully, the leader of America's Brexit-equivalent is literally the worst possible person, so we will be saved from our own stupidity for at least a few more years.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #2543 on: October 24, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »
The Lithuanian Greens dominated the second round and added 53 seats in total. Their total of 54 seats (out of 141) will be the most for any party since the wake of the Communist Party and its successor falling apart in 1996.

Meanwhile in Iceland which votes Saturday, the Pirate Party (~21%) and Left-Greens (~18%) are the two of the three leaders in polls now. No party except the Social Democrats briefly in 2009 and for a year at the end of the 1950s has been the main party in Iceland outside of the dominant two parties, Progressive Party and Independence Party, since 1927. Progressives and Social Democrats are now polling at around 9% and 7%. They got 24% and 13% in 2013 and 15% and 30% in 2009. Independence Party (~21%) is basically running now on how the millennials are going to destroy Iceland with their irresponsible voting. They were the Party in power when Iceland needed that bailout.

Pirates have collapsed since the start of the year, they at one point were polling at 41-43% something which hasn't been done by a single party since 1974.

Also polling up is the liberal-ish split off of the Independence Party, Vioreisn. They've been between 6-12% in last weeks polls. They had been around 3%. The other liberal party Bright Future has also moved up after dropping but is still polling slightly under its 2013 result of 8%. Both are pro-EU parties. In 2014 BF peaked at 20% in the polls for a while.

Blue = Independence, Dark Purple = Pirates, Bright Purple = Bright Future, Orange = Vioreisen, Red = Social Democrats, Light Green = Progressive

I assume a bulk of the "others" must be Dawn which I guess would best be described as maybe the anti-EU liberal-ish party? It's a merger of three parties that immediately lost two-thirds of their vote and all its seats so it's kinda got a confused platform still.

Iceland's sometimes a fun country to watch elections in because it's kinda more like a small city. And everyone has great Viking names. Also probably people eating that terrible brined shark or whatever it is. Ugh, what a horrible people.

They jailed their bankers too. Just uncouth.

Quote from: washington post comments
OhGoOnThen
6:12 AM EDT
I don't know what you do for a living, but imagine tomorrow, you and all your coworkers were fired and a collection of people off the street came in to do your jobs, because they knew in their hearts they could do a better job of it than you. How well would that work?

Syph

« Reply #2544 on: October 24, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »
http://www.steynonline.com/7567/descent-into-evil

"An Iraqi asylum seeker who confessed to raping a 10-year-old boy in a swimming pool, claiming it was a "sexual emergency", has had his conviction overturned."
XO

« Reply #2545 on: October 24, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
According to the Supreme Court President Thomas Philipp, while the verdict was "watertight" with regard to the serious sexual assault of a minor, there was not enough evidence to support the second charge of rape.

The appeal court said the initial ruling should have dealt with whether the offender thought that the victim had agreed with the sexual act, or whether he had intended to act against his will.

The sentence was therefore lifted, although Amir is expected to remain in custody until the rape case returns to the regional court next year.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/723868/Migrant-jailed-Austria-attack-boy-10-sexual-emergency-has-conviction-OVERTURNED

Stop reading right wing news, just stop, just read real news. Like maybe only read AP/Reuters/AFP until you think it's safe to read editorials again and your confirmation bias is better.

Raist

« Reply #2546 on: October 25, 2016, 02:45:02 AM »
According to the Supreme Court President Thomas Philipp, while the verdict was "watertight" with regard to the serious sexual assault of a minor, there was not enough evidence to support the second charge of rape.

The appeal court said the initial ruling should have dealt with whether the offender thought that the victim had agreed with the sexual act, or whether he had intended to act against his will.

The sentence was therefore lifted, although Amir is expected to remain in custody until the rape case returns to the regional court next year.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/723868/Migrant-jailed-Austria-attack-boy-10-sexual-emergency-has-conviction-OVERTURNED

Stop reading right wing news, just stop, just read real news. Like maybe only read AP/Reuters/AFP until you think it's safe to read editorials again and your confirmation bias is better.

I'm sorry, but the fact that they threw away the rape charges are still 300% bullshit.

Syph

« Reply #2547 on: October 25, 2016, 03:10:39 AM »

What the fuck are you talking about
First off, I don't know which "right wing news" you're talking about, and then following that up with "real news"? Cmon
And what confirmation bias? I posted the article because it was a horrible incident; the fact that the conviction was overturned just amplifies it. It's difficult to comment because I don't really know what the hell you're referring to, but maybe you should think about your own confirmation bias or how you rationalized the story away because of the bolded part.
I fully admit I could be misinterpreting what you're saying (welcome to communication over the internet) but this story is shitty any way you look at it.

edit: are you perhaps referring to the article you linked and the website it comes from specifically? I posted the specific link I posted because I like Mark Steyn...the story itself about the boy is widely available on the internet, it's not like just one random right-wing site is running with it, like the one that Steyn happened to quote and that you did as well. Is yahoo.com a right-wing site now? lol (again I may be misinterpreting what you said)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:15:00 AM by Syph »
XO

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #2548 on: October 25, 2016, 08:09:49 AM »
The hills are alive...with the sound of child rape

:dunno

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2549 on: October 25, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
I posted the specific link I posted because I like Mark Steyn

:donot
dog

Syph

« Reply #2550 on: October 25, 2016, 02:56:01 PM »
I posted the specific link I posted because I like Mark Steyn

:donot
not a fan? he's canadian how bad can he really be eh
XO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2551 on: October 25, 2016, 05:15:55 PM »
Being Canadian doesn't save him from the trash pit.
dog

Syph

« Reply #2552 on: October 25, 2016, 10:05:36 PM »
Being Canadian doesn't save him from the trash pit.
lol why dont you like him
XO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2553 on: October 25, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
For much the same reason that I don't like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, or Ann Coulter.
dog

Syph

« Reply #2554 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:42 PM »
For much the same reason that I don't like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, or Ann Coulter.
I get that, but for someone who has known about Steyn for many years, I wouldn't classify him with those people. I dislike those 3 as well actually. But to each his own obviously.
XO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2555 on: October 25, 2016, 11:57:40 PM »
Oh honey. Steyn is racist 00's warblogger trash.

benjipwns

« Reply #2556 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »

:usacry

I like when the British raised, Canadian citizen, who lives in New Hampshire, Mark Steyn complains about immigration to America.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2557 on: October 26, 2016, 12:37:12 AM »
he white doe

benjipwns

« Reply #2558 on: October 26, 2016, 12:45:24 AM »
worse, he's a ginger

Raist

« Reply #2559 on: October 26, 2016, 02:44:16 AM »
worse, he's a ginger

(Image removed from quote.)

Didn't know Seth Rogen was a white supremacist. I guess him hanging out just with Carell or Rudd but not Malco in the 40yo virgin makes sense now.

Syph

« Reply #2560 on: October 26, 2016, 02:46:02 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
 :usacry

I like when the British raised, Canadian citizen, who lives in New Hampshire, Mark Steyn complains about immigration to America.
that book is more about the collapse of europe through demographics
america would be later
also a lot of what he suggested in that book ended up coming true..

i will easily concede that he's a ginger though
cant argue that
there's a limit guys
XO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2561 on: October 26, 2016, 03:24:16 AM »
that shit is basically #whitegenocide: the book

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2562 on: October 26, 2016, 03:29:41 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #2563 on: October 26, 2016, 03:33:34 AM »
Marked For Death brings together in one book a transatlantic pairing of two of the west's most prominent champions for our civilization's core liberties. And don't forget, when you order from SteynOnline, Mark will be happy to autograph it to you or your loved one. Order one today for the incendiary imam or appeasing Eurocrat in your family!

ordering one for sohail as we speak: http://www.lansingislam.com/imam.htm

Youth Jeopardy 2:30 pm 3rd Sunday of month
INCENDIARY

how dare he put youths in jeopardy, this is america, not saudi iranistan

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2564 on: October 26, 2016, 03:44:51 AM »
He's married to a Hungarian jew which makes his view on immigration laughable.

Also he claims to be agnostic, yet defends the judo/christian culture or whatever.

Idiot.

benjipwns

« Reply #2565 on: October 26, 2016, 04:40:48 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/exclusive-leaked-recording-shows-what-theresa-may-really-thinks-about-brexit
Theresa May privately warned that companies would leave the UK if the country voted for Brexit during a secret audience with investment bankers a month before the EU referendum.

A recording of her remarks to Goldman Sachs, leaked to the Guardian, reveals she had numerous concerns about Britain leaving the EU. It contrasts with her nuanced public speeches, which dismayed remain campaigners before the vote in June.

Speaking at the bank in London on 26 May, the then home secretary appeared to go further than her public remarks to explain more clearly the economic benefits of staying in the EU. She told staff it was time the UK took a lead in Europe, and that she hoped voters would look to the future rather than the past.

In an hour-long session before the City bankers, she also worried about the effect of Brexit on the British economy.

“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said. “I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

“If we were not in Europe, I think there would be firms and companies who would be looking to say, do they need to develop a mainland Europe presence rather than a UK presence? So I think there are definite benefits for us in economic terms.”
its disgusting how these private speeches to bankers keep getting leaked

Syph

« Reply #2566 on: October 26, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
that shit is basically #whitegenocide: the book
but why does that automatically discount it?
just because an idea is uncomfortable (not saying you specifically are saying that btw) doesn't make it wrong or without merit
as someone who grew up in canada i think the conversation pertaining to assimilation vs maintaining the immigrant's culture upon immigration is very important and interesting
growing up in a canadian high school (in one of the "most multicultural" cities) the conclusion of every "culture" talk is that we don't have one. that our culture is multiculturalism...which works until the cultures you're "importing" don't maintain the same level of tolerance towards one another
...i realize i went on another tangent there lol
XO

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Syph

« Reply #2568 on: October 26, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
XO

Raist

« Reply #2569 on: October 27, 2016, 01:56:55 AM »

This is nothing new. An all-time favourite past-time of those fuckers in some of these areas is to put large bins on fire, wait for firefighters to come and then throw rocks at them from their flats. What do they hope achieving with this? Because eventually firefighters will say fuck it and stop answering calls in these areas, and some shit will burn to the ground.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2570 on: October 27, 2016, 07:49:21 AM »

This is nothing new. An all-time favourite past-time of those fuckers in some of these areas is to put large bins on fire, wait for firefighters to come and then throw rocks at them from their flats. What do they hope achieving with this? Because eventually firefighters will say fuck it and stop answering calls in these areas, and some shit will burn to the ground.
Sounds like American History X

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2571 on: October 27, 2016, 07:50:16 AM »
How have I missed this?

Debunking years of tabloid claims about Europe
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/06/daily-chart-15

« Reply #2572 on: October 27, 2016, 09:05:52 AM »
Are French no go zones on there?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:25:15 AM by Premium Lager »

Raist

« Reply #2575 on: October 29, 2016, 03:54:17 AM »

It really isn't a myth. There are really shitty areas (mostly in and around Paris) where emergency services (not just cops, but firefighters and healthcare too) shit their pants a little when they are being called there.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2576 on: October 29, 2016, 04:07:56 AM »

It really isn't a myth. There are really shitty areas (mostly in and around Paris) where emergency services (not just cops, but firefighters and healthcare too) shit their pants a little when they are being called there.

Well, the "no go" (as won't ever go anymore) part is disputed even by some cops.
There's no denying however that in certain neighborhoods (typically poor housing projects), emergency services (and / or journalists and camera crews) runs at a higher risk of violent confrontation by bands / gangs just for being there and that police prefer to go in with overwhelming numbers for any large operation. "No go" or not, it is of course a major issue.
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #2577 on: October 29, 2016, 06:59:51 AM »

Well, the "no go" (as won't ever go anymore) part is disputed even by some cops.
There's no denying however that in certain neighborhoods (typically poor housing projects), emergency services (and / or journalists and camera crews) runs at a higher risk of violent confrontation by bands / gangs just for being there and that police prefer to go in with overwhelming numbers for any large operation. "No go" or not, it is of course a major issue.

Well yeah, the term is a bit of an hyperbole, and I'm pretty sure that for ethical and/or legal reasons, they won't ever go that far.

To be honest, I would. Being baited, as a firefighter for instance, into coming to an area because someone deliberately set a some shit on fire (that goes from bins to entire fucking buildings), just to have a pack of twenty cunts wait for you with rocks and bricks to wreck your shit up must be by orders of magnitude the shittiest thing you can face in these jobs.

I mean, I can "understand" that happening with police officers, but pulling this shit on firefighters and ambulance? What the actual fuck.
These folks should be thrown in jail for a couple decades. Not only are they performing serious assaults on public service members whose job is just to help and save people, they're also putting others around them at incredible risks.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:37:20 AM by Rufus »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2579 on: October 29, 2016, 12:34:58 PM »
As I understand it, they are considering impeaching their president because she may have made her executive  decisions by following the advice a spiritual advisor/cult leader? I just heard about this so I don't know the particulars but apparently she's the first female president of SK so that certainly hurts.