Author Topic: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread  (Read 152028 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread - PLEASE JOIN UFC FEDOR!
« Reply #480 on: September 20, 2010, 12:40:54 AM »
FFFUUUUUUUU... I thought we were over the PED era of this sport. Jesus, guys. Seriously.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #481 on: September 20, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »
FFFUUUUUUUU... I thought we were over the PED era of this sport. Jesus, guys. Seriously.

:lol

50%+ guys are on something. The only ones you find out about are the stupid ones, or the ones who don't get it out of their system in time. In a sport where you know your drug test date it's basically an IQ test.
itm

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #482 on: September 20, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »
I saw some post over at neogaf in the mma thread where somebody was saying that Sonnen doesn't seem the type to do PED's.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #484 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »
Hilarious

Middleweight contender Chael Sonnen tested positive for abnormally high levels of testosterone following an Aug. 7 UFC championship fight against titleholder Anderson Silva, the California State Athletic Commission informed SI.com on Monday.
Sonnen, 33, of West Linn, Ore., was apparently concerned enough about the possibility that he would render a positive test that he told CSAC executive director George Dodd he used an illegal substance leading up to the biggest fight of his life.

"He only indicated that he was taking it but he never indicated why," Dodd said of a conversation he and Sonnen shared during drug testing conducted by the state a day prior to the fight in Oakland.
Sonnen "just let me know he was taking [something] and that's when I called over an inspector to get it documented. But when you do take it you still have to show a medical reason."
According to Dodd, Sonnen wrote on a pre-fight drug screening form that he used "testosterone." Sonnen also indicated the manner in which he ingested the drug, though Dodd declined to answer whether that was in pill or injectable form.

Despite making the CSAC aware that he'd taken a banned substance, the commission could not prevent Sonnen from competing because of Rule 303 C in its regulations.
"A positive test which has been confirmed by a laboratory utilized by the commission ... shall be used as conclusive evidence of a violation of the subsection," Dodd said. "We have to have confirmation from a labratory before we can say 'yay' or 'nay.'

"Remember, we don't know what levels or anything else he was going to be tested for when the results came back. What happens if they were at normal levels? If his levels were normal, and you actually didn't have a reason why, then we actually stopped somebody from earning a living. Health and safety is our No. 1 priority but you have to weigh everything. And our rules do say you have to have confirmation from a laboratory.

"It was just a weird situation. But you follow what your rules and guidelines tell you to do, and that's what they told us to do."
As reported by Sherdog.com over the weekend, Sonnen was notified Friday of his positive test. The CSAC first received results on Sept. 2 and waited for confirmation of a second sample tested at the World Anti-Doping Agency affiliated UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory before informing Sonnen.
Per CSAC guidelines, Sonnen has 30 days to file an appeal with the state. On Tuesday, MMAFighting.com quoted Sonnen's manager Mike Roberts as saying the fighter would file a formal appeal with California. The next CSAC commission meeting is scheduled for Dec. 2 in Sacramento, Calif. If Sonnen does not file an appeal, he will be subject to an automatic one-year suspension and $2,500 fine.

Though Sonnen mentioned using testosterone, the veteran mixed martial artist failed to note it on a pre-fight questionnaire with commission doctors or provide documentation about the use of testosterone in a medical context, according to Dodd.
"Whenever you're taking an enhancing drug you have to let the commission know prior to even taking the test that you're taking, and what the medical reasons are why you're taking the drug," Dodd said. "That way we can verify with our commission doctors that the reason you're taking that is the reason you should be on that type of drug. You can't just come in and say, 'Hey, I'm taking this,' and think that's going to get you off."

The eight-year MMA veteran received an immense amount of press leading up to his fight against Silva because of his willingness to make outlandish comments, including several regarded as controversial. Speaking of American cyclist Lance Armstrong, Sonnen suggested Armstrong's bout against testicular cancer was a direct result of his cheating and using illegal drugs. Armstrong has fought off numerous allegations that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs, and has not yet yielded a positive test.

The fight between Silva and Sonnen (24-11-1) on Aug. 7 was one of the year's best. Sonnen dominated Silva, a pound-for-pound top-ranked fighter and MMA's No. 1 middleweight since 2006, over the course of four rounds. Sonnen appeared well on his way to taking the UFC title when Silva stunned the wrestler, who competed collegiately at the University of Oregon, with a triangle choke submission at 3:10 of Round 5. Because of Sonnen's ability to sell a fight that turned out to be extremely competitive, Silva-Sonnen captivated not only close watchers of mixed martial arts but casual viewers as well. UFC officials planned to capitalize off the middleweights' initial encounter by scheduling an immediate rematch for Feb. 6 in Las Vegas. That bout is now in jeopardy.
Sonnen has not responded to repeated requests for comment by SI.com. He is expected to make his first public statements Thursday on ESPN2's "MMA Live."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/mma/09/20/sonnen.drugtest/index.html

Stoney Mason

« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »
[youtube=560,345]#![/youtube]

Dana is so full of shit.

And to be clear I'm not saying that because I'm some aggressive anti-steroid person. I think tons of athletes in all sports are doing it. The thing is he acts like he has no power to influence things. When he is the dude who continually signs these guys after they have been popped taking steroids in the first place. It's a pretty clear message how unimportant getting caught with steroids is when you're the first guy to welcome them back and resign them.

Is Okami doomed?

Okami is the fighter the UFC loves to screw since sometimes his fights aren't exciting. Of course watching Jon Fitch fight is like watching paint dry and he is nearing his second title shot.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:00:02 PM by Stoney Mason »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #487 on: September 24, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
So do you think Okami can get past Belfort? I don't but I didn't think Gomi stood a chance against Griffin.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #488 on: September 24, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
So do you think Okami can get past Belfort? I don't but I didn't think Gomi stood a chance against Griffin.

I would probably pick Belfort against Okami but its not like Belfort is some consistent guy. He always has his striking skills but its sort of funny to me how Belfort has been able to resurrect his career despite only fighting once in 2008 and twice in 2009.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #489 on: September 25, 2010, 01:05:37 AM »

Okami is the fighter the UFC loves to screw since sometimes his fights aren't exciting. Of course watching Jon Fitch fight is like watching paint dry and he is nearing his second title shot.

Disagree.  Okami and Fitch are basically being treated the same.  The difference is, Dana can't find anyone to beat Fitch, so for the integrity of the division, he might be forced to feed Fitch a second shot.  But I could still see Shields jumping ahead of him if he beats Kampmann.

Okami, on the other hand, got decisively beaten by Sonnen in the not-too-distant past, so there's a legitimate argument for forcing him to put together a better string of wins before getting a shot.  Of course, that doesn't explain Belfort getting a shot without ever having a win at Middleweight in the UFC, but, eh.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #490 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:01 AM »

I would probably pick Belfort against Okami but its not like Belfort is some consistent guy. He always has his striking skills but its sort of funny to me how Belfort has been able to resurrect his career despite only fighting once in 2008 and twice in 2009.

I agree with this though.  Waaaay too dangerous and premature to jump on the Belfort wagon when the dude has fought so seldomly in the past two years.
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #491 on: September 25, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
It's probably PRIDE history, appealing to the fans there, though it seems like more often than not PRIDE alumni have a hard time with the cage and elbows.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #492 on: September 26, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
Awful card last night. Fucking cut Crocop please.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #493 on: September 29, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #494 on: September 30, 2010, 12:04:25 AM »
What a damned stud that lad is.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #495 on: September 30, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »
WEC card tonight.

Preliminary Card

Bantamweight bout:  Demetrious Johnson vs.  Nick Pace
Bantamweight bout:  Antonio Banuelos vs.  Chad George
Featherweight bout:  Tyler Toner vs.  Diego Nunes
Lightweight bout:  Chris Horodecki vs.  Ed Ratcliff
Featherweight bout:  Mike Brown vs.  Cole Province
Featherweight bout:  Zhang Tie Quan vs.  Pablo Garza

Main card

Featherweight bout:  Leonard Garcia vs.  Mark Hominick
Featherweight bout:  Chan Sung Jung vs.  George Roop
Bantamweight bout:  Miguel Torres vs.  Charlie Valencia
Lightweight bout:  Jamie Varner vs.  Donald Cerrone
Featherweight Championship bout:  Jose Aldo (c) vs.  Manvel Gamburyan

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #496 on: September 30, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
Card tonight is crazy stacked.

I mean, Mike Brown is on the fucking prelims!

I'm rooting for my buddies Hominick and Horodecki.  :punch
MMA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #497 on: September 30, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
Wow I didn't know the Korean Zombie was on this too. Looks pretty solid
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #498 on: September 30, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »
God where's Kenny Florian? Bonnar sounds like he's from Sesame Street
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #499 on: September 30, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »
Hominick wins!  8)

But that judge who scored the fight for Garcia must have been smoking crack.
MMA

E-DuB

« Reply #500 on: September 30, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »

Might have to give this card a look. The way you're talking about it, it might be better than UFC 119

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #501 on: September 30, 2010, 10:54:08 PM »

Might have to give this card a look. The way you're talking about it, it might be better than UFC 119

Better than 119?  You're setting the bar pretty low there.  :lol

But ya, event has been pretty damn good so far.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #502 on: September 30, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »
and round 1 of Varner/Cerrone was insane!
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #503 on: September 30, 2010, 11:35:09 PM »
Aldo is such a badass.

E-DuB

« Reply #504 on: September 30, 2010, 11:36:57 PM »
Mmmmmm...that was a nice uppercut

pilonv1

« Reply #505 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »
What whole show was awesome.

Poor Zombie :(
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #506 on: October 09, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »
Strikeforce card tonight

Main Card
Welterweight Championship bout:  Nick Diaz (c) vs.  KJ Noons
Women's Welterweight Championship (135 lbs) bout:  Sarah Kaufman (c) vs.  Marloes Coenen
Lightweight bout:  Josh Thomson vs.  Gesias Cavalcante
Welterweight bout:  Tyron Woodley vs.  André Galvăo

Preliminary Card
Welterweight bout:  James Terry vs.  Bret Bergmark
Middleweight bout:  Ron Keslar vs.  Josh McDonald
Lightweight bout:  Jess Bouscal vs.  Luis Mendoza

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #507 on: October 09, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Nick Diaz:  one of the few fighters I always pray gets horribly clowned.  F'ing thug.

Unfortunately, he's too good, especially in Strikeforce's small pond.

I did like that he retired Frank Shamrock though.  That was a fight that I was going to be satisfied with either one of those douches getting their ass kicked.
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #508 on: October 09, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »
Yeah, it's funny watching Frank open his mouth. Nothing intelligent ever comes out of it. I'd like to hire a guy to stand behind him with a vuvuzela and blow it whenever it looks like Frank is going to talk.

Wasn't Nick in a very stupid fight inside the ring recently? I mean, like, after the official match had ended, and not one that he'd even been a participant in?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #509 on: October 09, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
Yeah, it's funny watching Frank open his mouth. Nothing intelligent ever comes out of it. I'd like to hire a guy to stand behind him with a vuvuzela and blow it whenever it looks like Frank is going to talk.

Wasn't Nick in a very stupid fight inside the ring recently? I mean, like, after the official match had ended, and not one that he'd even been a participant in?

It was the last Strikeforce event on network TV. Which is why there hasn't been another strikeforce event on network tv recently.

I always like watching Nick fight but otherwise this is a weak card.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #510 on: October 09, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »

Ya, after the Shields/Henderson fight in April.  Jason Miller came into the cage during the postfight interview and challenged Shields, trying to hype a rematch between them.  Then Diaz and all of Cesar Gracie's camp jumped Miller like the thugs they are.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #511 on: October 09, 2010, 12:34:29 PM »

It was the last Strikeforce event on network TV. Which is why there hasn't been another strikeforce event on network tv recently.

Eh, it's generally accepted that the reason there hasn't been another CBS event is because the ratings for that April show bombed.  The brawl was just a good excuse to throw on top of that for CBS to say they didn't want that sort of thing on their network.  If the ratings had been good I doubt that little brawl would have stopped future network events from happening.
MMA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #512 on: October 09, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »
I can't root against Nick Diaz ever. He and his brother may be (huge) distinguished mentally-challenged fellows, but they're never involved in a boring fight, which is more than I can say for most of the other guys in the sport that are always running their mouths.

Unfortunately, I have a gut feeling that KJ is gonna beat his ass

I always like watching Nick fight but otherwise this is a weak card.
Josh Thomson vs JZ should be great. Probably gonna skip the rest and go back to watch if there's good buzz

[youtube=560,345]6oGwJEZNYZE[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:19:47 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Stoney Mason

« Reply #513 on: October 09, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »
Hell of a first round there.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #514 on: October 10, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
meh. I find this diaz noons fight boring. The announcers are going nuts but to me it's like watching two sub-par boxers.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #515 on: October 10, 2010, 12:01:45 AM »
meh. I find this diaz noons fight boring. The announcers are going nuts but to me it's like watching two sub-par boxers.

Agreed, it's not doing much for me either.
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #516 on: October 10, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »
I think they are both trying....it's just a little pathetic.

Diaz has no takedown ability. And Noons is good enough on his feet (although incredibly wild with his punches) to give Diaz problems there so Diaz can't even look as good as he normally does in strikeforce. And pretty much no power behind either's punches. It was pretty obvious from the get go this was going to go 5 rounds.

pilonv1

« Reply #517 on: October 10, 2010, 06:38:11 AM »
If Strikeforce had good fights I could justify watching them. Right now? Utter waste of my time.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #518 on: October 16, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »
Free Tape Delayed ppv on spike tv tonight.

Preliminary card
Light Heavyweight bout:  James McSweeney vs.  Fabio Maldonado
Lightweight bout:  Spencer Fisher vs.  Kurt Warburton
Lightweight bout:  Paul Sass vs.  Mark Holst
Heavyweight bout:  Rob Broughton vs.  Vinicius Queiroz
Light Heavyweight bout:  Cyrille Diabaté vs.  Alexander Gustafsson

Main card
Welterweight bout:  James Wilks vs.  Claude Patrick
Heavyweight bout:  Cheick Kongo vs.  Travis Browne
Welterweight bout:  John Hathaway vs.  Mike Pyle
Welterweight bout:  Dan Hardy vs.  Carlos Condit
Middleweight bout:  Michael Bisping vs.  Yoshihiro Akiyama

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #519 on: October 16, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »
I'd really like to see Akiyama choke out Bisping.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #520 on: October 16, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
I'd really like to see Akiyama choke out Bisping.

I don't like how Akiyama seems to gas out everytime he fights. I'm going to pick Bisping for the win and I haven't seen any reports of who won or loss any of the fights.

Going to start in a couple of minutes.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #521 on: October 16, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Not going to get to watch it, so spoilered results:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Soooooooooooo satisfying to read that smug douche Hardy got KTFO'd by a "boring" Greg Jackson fighter.
[close]
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #522 on: October 16, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »
Kongo is garbage.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #523 on: October 16, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
Kongo has been garbage since entering the UFC. I couldn't believe that first fight; he looked like a fish out of water the instant it went to the ground, even against an opponent who couldn't capitalize on it effectively. Since then, he hasn't managed to close the gaps in his game.

He'd be a real threat in K-1, where there is no  ground game, or even in a less competitive MMA league, but he's not really in the UFC class of MMA fighters.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #524 on: October 16, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
lol at Hardy. I've never liked him.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #525 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
yeah that went about as expected with bisping.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #526 on: October 17, 2010, 02:14:15 PM »

hi5

pilonv1

« Reply #527 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:34 PM »
Was a terrible show overall. I could watch Akiyama fight all the time, he's fantastic. You're lucky you didn't get the Wilkes fight
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #528 on: October 22, 2010, 11:37:23 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Biggest fight of the year tomorrow. I really like Cain Velasqeuz but sadly I think Lesnar will win simply because of the size difference. I've always thought it was bogus Lesnar isn't in a higher weight class. Sort of BS when you can outweigh your opponent by 30 pounds in a weight class and nobody considers that a problem.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #529 on: October 22, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »
Yeah, but then you'd have to have Super-Heavyweight "monster" matches like PRIDE, and it would just be Brock, Butterbean, and "Makebono."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #530 on: October 22, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »
Oh I understand why it doesn't exist. Because a lack of talent. But it still bugs me.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #531 on: October 22, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
I don't like the "lesnar is too huge" meme.  Yes, there's not enough superheavyweight talent to make a division out of it, but also, 80% of the time the normal sized heavyweight will beat the superheavy.

And besides, it doesn't apply to Lesnar now anyway.  He and his camp have repeatedly said he wont be cutting almost any weight to hit 265 for this fight. 

Few made the same calls for a superheavy division when Tim Sylvia ruled the ufc's hw division, and he's always cut weight to hit 265.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #532 on: October 22, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »
For what its worth I've never liked the big discrepancy in weight for the heavyweight divisions in MMA. Whether its Sylvia or Lesnar. I'm definitely not faulting Lesnar. He has no power over the situation anyway.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #533 on: October 22, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »
So let's see

Randy, although stylistically totally different than Cain, still gave Lesnar some trouble inasmuch as he couldn't just ragdoll him like he can with Mir
Lesnar couldn't take Carwin down until he gassed (right?)
Lesnar is coming in lighter
And although managing to refine his game mostly everywhere with each subsequent fight, Lesnar's striking is still pretty awful

Cain TKO 4:30 rd 1

Oh how far the UFC has come from the days of Justin Eilers fighting for the belt
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:44:21 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #534 on: October 22, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »
Yeah, it's been interesting. It started out as a "my kung fu is stronger than tae kwon do" peen competition, primarily organized by the Gracies IIRC so they could prove that BJJ had the largest peen. Which it did, for a long time, but with the introduction of rules, and a LOT of water under the bridge, it's evolved into its own thing. Just bringing any one discipline to the mat is a sure way to lose to a stoppage. Fighters now to have to be skilled in stand-up, ground, and be very physically fit* to have any chance of getting into the UFC, and it wouldn't surprise me if the b-tier leagues are becoming nearly equally competitive.

* Roy Nelson has me confused here as well.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #535 on: October 22, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Optimo:  all that analysis is true, but I wonder how wise it is to make predictions based on lesnar's past performances.  He's an exceptional case because in spite of his accomplishments, he's still so green.

So I'm not sure how useful it is to go back and look at Lesnar's performance in the couture fight.  I mean, that was brock's FOURTH MMA fight.  He was still learning the game, eight years after leaving the amateur wrestling world.  And yet, he still beat couture in his fourth fight EVER.

So I just think it is difficult to use brock's past fights when he is still vastlyimproving his skills.
MMA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #536 on: October 22, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »
Yeah he's definitely improving greatly from fight to fight. Lately that's why it's so hard for me to pick against Brock, but I still think that Cain has the best shot out of anyone in the UFC at taking him out
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #537 on: October 22, 2010, 11:53:58 PM »
I would agree with that.  Style-wise, and assuming cain's gameplan is to keep things standing, I cannot see JDS faring any better than Cain against Brock.  Cain is far and away the biggest challenge on the horizon for Brock, barring a carwin who doesn't gas out after five minutes, or Overeem jumping over to the ufc.
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #538 on: October 23, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
Brock previewed his entrance walk for tonight.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #539 on: October 23, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »
Brock previewed his entrance walk for tonight.

rofl fucking wrestling
hi5