Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1856144 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #18960 on: September 18, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
Like I said over at GAF, they left off part of the Olympic Peninsula on Washington state in that picture.

Already got cut off.  :'(
dog

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #18961 on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18962 on: September 18, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
Yep. Romney insulted his own base.
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #18963 on: September 18, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »
    Q: Does Mitt Romney's work at Bain Capital make you more or less likely to vote for him, or does it not make a difference?

More likely: 21
    Less likely: 38
    No difference: 39

Q: Do you think the Republicans are intentionally stalling efforts to jump-start the economy to insure that Barack Obama is not re-elected, or not?

They are: 47
    They are not: 41
    Not sure: 11

Q: Do you think the economy would be in better shape now if John McCain had been elected President in 2008, or not?

It would be in better shape: 38
    It would not: 51
    Not sure: 11

That's among independents.  :o

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #18964 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18965 on: September 18, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Ok Bams, it's time to not be found banging a white chick from now until November 6th. Seems like you have this in the bag bro

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #18966 on: September 18, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »
I foresee Paul Ryan coincidentally doing most of his campaigning in Wisconsin.  Why yes, this appearance just happens to be in his district, which he is also running for reelection in.  Just in case.  You know.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18967 on: September 18, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
Here's the whole video:

dog

« Reply #18968 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
The gift that keeps on giving.

Mitt Romney was his May 17 Florida fundraiser — the subject of now-ubiquitous leaked video — how he could "duplicate" the 1980 hostage crisis scenario, credited with defeating Jimmy Carter.

In response, the presidential candidate said: "I mean, if something of that nature presents itself I will work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity."

So what's left to be released?
野球

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #18969 on: September 18, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »

Mitt Romney was his May 17 Florida fundraiser — the subject of now-ubiquitous leaked video — how he could "duplicate" the 1980 hostage crisis scenario, credited with defeating Jimmy Carter.

In response, the presidential candidate said: "I mean, if something of that nature presents itself I will work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity."

bent

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #18970 on: September 18, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »

His tax returns would be a nice cherry on top of everything
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18971 on: September 18, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
If Romney's tax returns got leaked somehow and they showed that there were years where he didn't pay any income tax, that would be the most amazing thing ever.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18972 on: September 18, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
At this point, even a European based crisis that causes a huge financial failure ala September 2008 probably wouldn't result in Romney sniffing a victory.

I don't think the 47% is a huge deal because even as he was talking shit about his own base, they will still defend him.  Considering how Republicans have been calling poor people lazy for 30+ years, these people still came out to vote for the GOP.  To these people, life may be shit but they trust that Republicans will do a better job on the guns n Jesus front.

By the time this thing plays out, there are the three debates and I suspect Romney's strategy is just to whine about Obama, which isn't working out now so how he is going to repackage the same failed strategy and expect to make it stick this time, I don't know.  Then you have Paul Ryan who is now running re-election ads so there's even more chinks in the armor.  I'm just wondering if Romney is going to go batshit insane or if he is just going to lie down and accept defeat after the foreign policy (which will be his weakest for sure) debate.

He's done.  Finished.  All Obama has to do is let Romney fuck up on his own and watch his campaign crumble.

Pretty boring campaign overall.
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #18973 on: September 18, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
If Romney's tax returns got leaked somehow and they showed that there were years where he didn't pay any income tax, that would be the most amazing thing ever.

this is already true of the only year he released

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18975 on: September 19, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »
Romney said "there are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what" and then proceeded to call them lazy entitled slackers who don't pay taxes. The way he worded it wasn't a slam on the poor, it was a slam on people who vote Democrat. I'm surprised no one went there with it.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #18976 on: September 19, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »
What I've found amusing is that there's a large, completely bubble dwelling portion of the Republican power structure that thinks this is a winning argument.  Your Erick Ericksons, average Corner poster, and apparently Mary Matalin... I thought she was smarter but living in DC for 20 years will do that to you I guess.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18977 on: September 19, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
Romney said "there are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what" and then proceeded to call them lazy entitled slackers who don't pay taxes. The way he worded it wasn't a slam on the poor, it was a slam on people who vote Democrat. I'm surprised no one went there with it.

It was sort of both.  47% don't pay taxes, that's about Obama's share in the polls, HEY, it's a one-to-one correlation!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18978 on: September 19, 2012, 12:17:53 AM »
What I've found amusing is that there's a large, completely bubble dwelling portion of the Republican power structure that thinks this is a winning argument.  Your Erick Ericksons, average Corner poster, and apparently Mary Matalin... I thought she was smarter but living in DC for 20 years will do that to you I guess.

Well, it's been a meme on rightwing sites for a while, and it wouldn't be unless a lot of conservatives bought into it.  Plus if you're a Romney surrogate it might make sense to double down.  It's going to be shoved into people's faces anyway, so you might as well try to push back for the last 6-7 weeks, and win some points with the people who find it plausible.

I think the standard/best thing to do for a campaign when you get caught like this is to say "of course I stand by my principles, and even though I might have phrased it poorly, I strongly believe that... [something much more palatable, tangentially related to what you really did say]."  Haven't read what Romney said post-leak, but it sounds like he might have gone for something like that.  Then throw in some random accusations towards your opponent, and boom.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #18979 on: September 19, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »

RENO, Nev. (AP) — Mitt Romney's running mate is calling the Republican presidential nominee "obviously inarticulate" when he remarked that nearly half of Americans believe they are victims and entitled to a range of government support.

Wisconsin congressman Paul Ryan made the comment in an interview aired Tuesday by KRNV-TV in Reno, Nev.

Romney has defended his remarks, but he has also called them "not elegantly stated."

Asked what he thought of Romney's remarks, Ryan told the Nevada station: "He was obviously inarticulate in making this point." Ryan went on to say the point the Republicans are making is that, under the Obama economy, government dependency is up and economic stagnation is up.

Asked if he thought Romney regrets the remarks, Ryan says he thinks Romney would have said it differently, adding, "that's for sure."

Friends like these...  :lol
WDW

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18980 on: September 19, 2012, 12:33:57 AM »

I don't think it's DC; so far most of the DC types (Noonan, Brooks, Scarborough, etc) have denounced the comments. The only people suggesting this is a winner are on the far right, like Erickson and Drudge. I must say I was surprised that Matalin seemed excited about this. That's not to say she is normally sane because she isn't, but she tends to recognize a loser when she sees it. Just a couple months ago she could barely defend Romney's campaign, it's hard to see what has changed to make anyone excited about his prospects.

I'd say most people don't like seeing their neighbors demeaned. The problem here isn't just about demeaning democrats, he literally said half the country is dependent on government, don't want to work, and they're all voting for Obama. I honestly think he might have been able to get away with saying 20% of the country is dependent, because that would have clear racial connotations and I doubt Obama wants to have a discussion about race (see: how potent the welfare ads have been for Romney.

But 47% of the country includes a whole lot of white people too. From soldiers who don't pay income taxes while deployed to old people to children of the working poor. I don't think common sense folks will take kindly to a presidential candidate literally saying "fuck half the country."

btw, the video has over 2 million views already
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:36:22 AM by Phoenix Dark »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #18981 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »
"And so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
- Mitt Romney

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18982 on: September 19, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »
There is no evidence that Attorney General Eric Holder and high-ranking officials at the Justice Department knew that guns were allowed to “walk” during an ATF operation known as Fast and Furious, according to a report released on Wednesday afternoon by the department’s internal watchdog.

Following a 19-month investigation, the Inspector General found that the decision not to take action against low-level “straw purchasers” was made by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the Arizona U.S. Attorney’s office. Their decision, according to the report, “was primarily the result of tactical and strategic decisions by the agents and prosecutors, rather than because of any legal limitation on their ability to do so.” Dennis Burke, the head of the U.S. Attorney’s office at the time, resigned from his position in August 2011.

What a shocker.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18983 on: September 19, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »
dat manufactured outrage

I wonder what the October Surprise is going to be.
🍆🍆

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #18984 on: September 19, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
a full-on Kitsune-style meltdown by Romney in front of a national audience.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18985 on: September 19, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
At this point Romney should just release a rap video flaunting his wealth, preferably titled All Polo Everything. It's his only chance at splitting the young, black, and Hispanic votes enough to win

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18986 on: September 19, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »
Evilbore should do some of the work for him. I think we could write the song.

I like medicare cuts and I cannot lie
you Koch brothers can't deny
when a girl walks in with 5 or 6 kids
and food stamps in her hand
you get pissed
wanna cut her benefits
cause you notice those kids are stuffed
are those name brand jeans she's wearing?
she's unemployed and not even caring
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18987 on: September 19, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »
:rofl
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18988 on: September 19, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
:rofl

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18989 on: September 19, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
:bow
🍆🍆

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #18990 on: September 19, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol
bent

Robo

« Reply #18991 on: September 19, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »
icon Joe immediately.
obo

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18992 on: September 19, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »
I'm tired of magazines
sayin' my tax cuts are obscene
take the top 1% and ask them that
they wanna get Bush back
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #18993 on: September 19, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
Joe, are you single?
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #18994 on: September 19, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »
:bow
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #18995 on: September 19, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
So if you're sick of our AAA goin' down
dial 1 800 Mitt a Lot
and kick them wholesome thoughts
let's get Bush Back
Jeb in 2016 y'all
yar

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18996 on: September 19, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
36-24-36?
What kind of marginal tax rates are those?
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18997 on: September 19, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »
Thinking of my retirement plan
It's not a sweat when I buy land
So I dig into your pockets, oh your money is spent?
Let me leverage some debt and add to my investments

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #18998 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18999 on: September 19, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
So your girlfriend drives a Prius
watching Fox News interview Priebus
but Priebus ain't got bank accounts in Mauritius
my tax accountants' work's not done
until my tax rate's none

©@©™

Brehvolution

« Reply #19000 on: September 19, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »
Mitty's not taxed
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19001 on: September 19, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
Forum needs a like button.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19002 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »
So your girlfriend drives a Prius
watching Fox News interview Priebus
but Priebus ain't got bank accounts in Mauritius
my tax accountants' work's not done
until my tax rate's none

It's been a long time since I laughed out loud at something on the internet.  Good work
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19003 on: September 20, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »
Mitt Romney can be seen here doubling down on his 47% rheotoric.  WHOOOOOO!!!!

yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19004 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »

There are millions of people in the country of all races who have similar stories.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19005 on: September 20, 2012, 04:59:45 AM »
jesus christ.  this page is amazing
püp

Beezy

« Reply #19006 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:21 AM »
 :o

:bow Joe :bow2

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #19007 on: September 20, 2012, 07:42:15 AM »
Lmfao

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19009 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »
todd akin is still doing pretty good in my state :'(
pcp

Brehvolution

« Reply #19010 on: September 20, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »
Matt Yglesias pointed out this pounce on this 14 year old Obama video about redistribution is the same attack that propelled Joe the Plumber to fame in 2008. Look how well that worked out.
©ZH

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19012 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
Black Guy, Fat Guy, Old Guy. Ethnic diversity!
©@©™

Brehvolution

« Reply #19013 on: September 20, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
I've never seen something more inviting of a molotov cocktail.
©ZH

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19014 on: September 20, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
At this point, I've stopped worrying about this election and started looking forward to 2016. I think after Romney gets creamed, it's VERY likely there's a GOP civil war and the values voters siphon off to form their own splinter party. If they run a candidate to 15% in 2016 then HELLO PRESIDENT CLINTON (again). And by a 3rd party spoiler candidate, no less! *masturbates furiously*
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19015 on: September 20, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
yea if Romney loses they'll just say "he wasn't conservative enough!" Or voter fraud
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:00:19 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19016 on: September 20, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
2016 is going to be The Insanity Circus.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19017 on: September 20, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »
whoops I meant "if Romney loses"

I'm not sure republicans will magically stop hating brown people in four years, thus allowing a Jeb Bush type to win. Even Chris Christie isn't far right enough; he might be authoritarian/Daddy Figure enough to compensate though.

I'm most looking forward to Santorum running and realizing no one gives a shit about him. He only did well because he was the Last Christian Left. Next time I'd imagine the religious right will have more than a few candidates to choose from: a less medicated Rick Perry, Bob McDonnell, Mitch Daniels, etc.

Brehvolution

©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19019 on: September 20, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »
At this point, I've stopped worrying about this election and started looking forward to 2016. I think after Romney gets creamed, it's VERY likely there's a GOP civil war and the values voters siphon off to form their own splinter party. If they run a candidate to 15% in 2016 then HELLO PRESIDENT CLINTON (again). And by a 3rd party spoiler candidate, no less! *masturbates furiously*

Rick Santorum/Pat Robertson 2016?
©@©™