Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1856003 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20640 on: October 30, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
So Chris Christie thinks that Obama's response to the Hurricane has been great? Well no biggie, I'm sure if Mitt Romney were president, his state-run privatized who knows disaster relief response would be great too.
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20641 on: October 30, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
He will be forced to retract that statement praising Obama this afternoon.
©ZH

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20642 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
He'll have to eat those words
___

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20644 on: October 30, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/signal/national-polls-meaningless-stage-election-135415586.html

One would think that Gallup, Pew, Rasmussen, every sufficiently wealthy news organization and anyone else interested in conducting a poll would be familiar with the basics of the American electoral system. Why they all insist on continuing to waste precious ink on national polls, then, is completely mystifying.

Gallup's latest poll of registered voters reports that former Gov. Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama are tied nationally, 48 to 48 percent. Gallup's latest poll of likely voters, based on a complex set of assumptions about voter turnout, has Romney leading Obama by 5 percentage points, 51 to 46.

These figures are based on a national sample, so they theoretically include voters from Ohio, Florida and Virginia. They also include voters from Wyoming, California, Alabama, Delaware and about 40 other states whose voters could not possibly be any less relevant to the outcome on Nov. 6.

At this stage in the election, like any sufficiently close election, the fate of the candidates rests with fewer than a half-dozen states. The continuing snapshots of national polls are useful for pollsters and academics, who are interested in things like expected vote share or the probability of victory in the national popular vote. Most stakeholders care only about the likelihood of victory in the Electoral College, and a national poll is not very useful at this point.

This is why most prognosticators consider Obama to have a far higher chance of victory than the national polls would suggest. The Signal has Obama at a 65 percent chance of victory, while Nate Silver gives him a 75 percent chance against Romney. A small, demented chorus of observers has recently dinged Silver for this conclusion, citing various gut feelings to the contrary.

Any way you slice it, Obama is leading in states that account for well over 270 electoral votes. As we've said a million times before, Obama needs only Ohio, Florida or Virginia to prevent Romney from reaching 270 electoral votes in most scenarios. Romney needs all three.

Romney maintains a slight lead in aggregations of many polls. HuffPost's Pollster listed six new polls on Monday, and Obama led in only one. Romney led in three of these, and two were are tied. Pollster, which has a very transparent method of aggregation, combines all recent polls and has Romney up 47.4 to 47.2. RealClearPolitics, which aggregates polls with a completely opaque method, has Romney up 47.6 to 46.7.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20645 on: October 30, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
Nate Silver
‏@fivethirtyeight

CAN'T BELIEVE METOROLOGISTS USED MATH AND SCIENCE TO PREDICT THIS STORM. THEY MUST BE MAGIC WIZARDS.

5:24 PM - 29 Oct 12
___

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #20646 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
Statistics are one of those things that anybody can bullshit but few can understand. It is pretty hilarious that political pundits are the ones criticizing him for possibly making a wrong prediction.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20647 on: October 30, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »
Yeah, well one time the news said there was a 75% chance of rain, and it didn't even rain!
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20648 on: October 30, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
Yeah, well one time the news said there was a 75% chance of rain, and it didn't even rain!
60% chance of survival?  Fuck you doc, I'll see what Ann Coulter says about that.
vin

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20649 on: October 30, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
Bush’s FEMA Director During Katrina Criticizes Obama For Responding To Sandy Too Quickly

“One thing he’s gonna be asked is, why did he jump on [the hurricane] so quickly and go back to D.C. so quickly when in…Benghazi, he went to Las Vegas?” Brown says. “Why was this so quick?… At some point, somebody’s going to ask that question…. This is like the inverse of Benghazi.”
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/30/1110901/bush-fema-director-katrina-hits-obama-sandy/

this is not an Onion article

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20650 on: October 30, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »
fuck this gay earth
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20651 on: October 30, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »
If only the National Weather Service had issued a Terrorist Warning and plotted out the probably path of the rioters through the streets of Benghazi, maybe all that tragedy could have been averted.
dog

Himu

« Reply #20652 on: October 30, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
Responding to aid citizens in midst of major storm : Terrorist attack on ambassador building on foreign soil ::

a) Duty : Terrorism

b) Obama cares about black people : Obama doesn't care about white people

c) distinguished black fellow : distinguished black fellow

I'm going with c.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:14:32 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #20653 on: October 30, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »

:bow
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20654 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »
This fuckwit should just be glad he didn't get drug out into the street by an angry mob.
©@©™

Steve Contra

« Reply #20655 on: October 30, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/30/romney-on-storm-aftermath-people-are-hurting-this-morning/

The campaign announced they would load supplies into a campaign bus for delivery in Virginia, North Carolina, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania – all swing states impacted by the storm.

And Chris Christie was devastating to Romney.  It's probably the last word will hear from him before the election and he praises Obama, preempts criticism of Obama, and makes anyone who looks to gain political points from this look like an asshole.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:35:45 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

« Reply #20656 on: October 30, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »
Wonder why Romney isn't delivering goods to New Jersey or New York...

:teehee
野球

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20657 on: October 30, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
to be fair I think that source is false.  he mentioned delivering goods to new jersey.

but of course it'll be using his campaign buses and cars.  it's exactly what the red cross advises AGAINST
püp

« Reply #20658 on: October 30, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
I heard Chris Christie's response to Fox and Friends this afternoon on NPR. That was loads of awesome.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20659 on: October 30, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
I heard Chris Christie's response to Fox and Friends this afternoon on NPR. That was loads of awesome.

I probably disagree on lots of shit with him but I loved his answer today; I gained some respect for him. He basically told Romney to fuck off. Plus he'll be touring the disaster with Obama tomorrow.

Naturally conservatives are pissed about all this. Surveying disasters, coordinating relief, and being nurturer in chief are roles of the presidency. They seem so mad Obama gets to do all that shit, as if he's playing politics or doesn't care about people. It's pathetic, and another "thing presidents do" that they clearly don't think Obama should do

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20660 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
To be fair, they'd be killing him for prioritizing the campaign if he weren't doing all this.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20661 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
Oh definitely. But at the same time he could have easily allowed Romney to tour the devastation with him and not been accused of playing politics. Instead he told Romney to get lost

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20662 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »
To be fair, they'd be killing him for prioritizing the campaign if he weren't doing all this.

乱学者

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20663 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
to be fair I think that source is false.  he mentioned delivering goods to new jersey.

but of course it'll be using his campaign buses and cars.  it's exactly what the red cross advises AGAINST

Yeah, well it's about time to get the government out of Red Cross and turn it over to someone with private sector experience like Mitt Romney or something, bro.
©@©™

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #20664 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »
He saved the Olympics for Pete's sake

« Reply #20665 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:54 PM »
Yeah guys, trust him. He's ran a business.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20666 on: October 30, 2012, 11:36:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was also a Governor, although we're not supposed to talk about that or something
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20667 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »

https://twitter.com/EvanAxelbank

Dunno what to think about this. Seems like a very weird way to get your base motivated. I know Obama's camp sends emails about them being down and needing help, but this seems way more specific. I'll wait for more senior advisers to start jumping ship

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20668 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
I've read that a lot of what we'd think of as get-out-the-vote is done by Democrats through the party but done by Republicans through churches and other non-party organizations, so that might factor into it.  And yeah, no way of knowing how true that story is and how much it's being leaked as CYA or motivation.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20669 on: October 31, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »
If Romney loses Floridia... well, that's game, blouses right there.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20670 on: October 31, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »
Dave Weigel's recent article about black churches mobilizing in response to the state's voter suppression laws
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/10/florida_voter_suppression_republican_efforts_to_discourage_turnout_in_florida.single.html

In 2008 my grandma's entire retirement home was bussed to the polls in Detroit; it's a predominantly African American home, run by a megachurch.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #20671 on: October 31, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »
Seeing how this is my first time to be in US during elections I'm wondering if there's an actual correlation between it and sudden slight dip in gas prices. Someone draw me a business process plz.
Unzip

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20672 on: October 31, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »
Prices go up so people hate the incumbent(current prez) even though he hasn't got anything to do with it. The invisible hand of the free market makes the prices recede due to less demand/over supply.  The GOP is the lapdogs of the oil industry so it's a little weird to me that prices are falling within a week until elections.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20673 on: October 31, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »
supply. demand. refinery fires in California have been put under control

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20674 on: October 31, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »
Prices tend to trend down every year in the fall. Some years more than others.

Read this: http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4453

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20675 on: October 31, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »
Bloomberg declined Obama's request to tour NY's damage
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/83082.html?hp=f1

Really puts Christie's decision in an even better light

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #20676 on: October 31, 2012, 03:26:59 AM »
Prices tend to trend down every year in the fall. Some years more than others.

Read this: http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4453

This was really informative. Thanks for the link.
Unzip

Oblivion

« Reply #20677 on: October 31, 2012, 03:38:57 AM »
My fellow Stalinists, get your masturbation hats ready:

OH

Obama 50 (Early vote: 60)
Romney 45 (Early vote: 34)

Brown 51
Mandel 42

VA

Obama 49
Romney 47

Kaine 50
Allen 46

FL

Obama 48 (Early vote: 50)
Romney 47 (Early vote: 44)

Nelson 52
Mack 39

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/us/politics/ohio-working-class-may-be-key-to-obama-re-election.html?pagewanted=all

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20679 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »
Bloomberg declined Obama's request to tour NY's damage
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/83082.html?hp=f1

Really puts Christie's decision in an even better light

he mad
dog

Brehvolution

« Reply #20680 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20681 on: October 31, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
Bachmann can't go away fast enough.
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #20682 on: October 31, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
My fellow Stalinists, get your masturbation hats ready:

OH

Obama 50 (Early vote: 60)
Romney 45 (Early vote: 34)

Brown 51
Mandel 42

VA

Obama 49
Romney 47

Kaine 50
Allen 46

FL

Obama 48 (Early vote: 50)
Romney 47 (Early vote: 44)

Nelson 52
Mack 39

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/us/politics/ohio-working-class-may-be-key-to-obama-re-election.html?pagewanted=all

On top of this, another PPP in Ohio w Obama +5.   Where is my Saran Wrap?

Steve Contra

« Reply #20683 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »
It's priceless seeing the right saying that Obama is "campaigning with Christie" instead of "touring a federal disaster area". 
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20684 on: October 31, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »
Race called, pack it in libtards:

http://thehill.com/opinion/columnists/dick-morris/264935-here-comes-the-landslide

:bow 350 EVs for Romney and control of the Senate :bow2

But once we all met Mitt Romney for three 90-minute debates, we got to know him — and to like him. He was not the monster Obama depicted, but a reasonable person for whom we could vote.

Reasonable voters saw that the voice of hope and optimism and positivism was Romney while the president was only a nitpicking, quarrelsome, negative figure. The contrast does not work in Obama’s favor.

u mad, Dems? :smug
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:33:16 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Steve Contra

« Reply #20685 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »
That reads like fanfiction.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just kidding, it is fanfiction. :shh
[close]
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20686 on: October 31, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
For real, I read that and think "Man, I could do that. Why am I not getting myself paid to write wingnut fanfic? My RomneyxRyan slashfic will bring you to tears!"
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20687 on: October 31, 2012, 02:26:45 PM »
Jesus Christ, it's like he lives in a parallel universe or something.  For instance, has there been even ONE credible poll to show Casey behind in PA?  WTF.
yar

Brehvolution

« Reply #20688 on: October 31, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »
lol Dick Morris. A guy fired from the Clinton admin. for involvement with prostitutes is the voice of credibility for fox news. The jokes write themselves.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20689 on: October 31, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
Dick Morris is just another hammer in the Fox News toolbox.
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20690 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:49 PM »
Morris has always been about pumping up the base before an election. That's what he do.

After it's all over, when your insurance rates go down, then you'll vote for me in 2016."

-- Vice President Joe Biden, quoted by The Hill, chatting by phone with a Republican voter.

lol ... Lots to chew on in that quote.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20691 on: October 31, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
the full report

Vice President Joe Biden had a raucous visit to a restaurant in Sarasota, Fla., Wednesday when he was met by a group of enthusiastic older women and ended up on the phone with the Republican brother of one, according to a White House pool report.

After placing an order, the group of older women entered the restaurant and began taking pictures of the vice president.

From the pool report:

One of the women called him “gorgeous.” “Would you tell my wife that,” VP responded.

Poses with arms around a pair of women for a picture, not rushing the moment at all.

“I loved what you did to Paul Ryan,” one woman said. “You were great today. We love you,” said another.

One then says of the picture: “I’ve got to send this to my Republican brother.” The VP than invited her to get him on the phone.

The woman called her brother and passed the phone to Biden, who apparently had a short but serious conversation with the man about the health care law that included a reference to a 2016 run for president, which Biden said was said in jest.

“Look, I’m not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you. And after its all over when your insurance rates go down, then you’ll vote for me in 2016. I’ll talk to you later.”
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/biden-visits-with-groupies-at-florida-restaurant
 :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20692 on: October 31, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »
I'd vote for Biden in 2016, no doubt. What a playa.
dog

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #20693 on: October 31, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
Race called, pack it in libtards:

http://thehill.com/opinion/columnists/dick-morris/264935-here-comes-the-landslide

:bow 350 EVs for Romney and control of the Senate :bow2

Wow, I knew Nate Silver was gay, but I had no idea he was THAT gay until Dick Morris laid it all out for us.
QED

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20694 on: October 31, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
As supporters lined up to greet the candidate, a young volunteer in a Romney/Ryan T-shirt stood near the tables, his hands cupped around his mouth, shouting, "You need a donation to get in line!"

Empty-handed supporters pled for entrance, with one woman asking, "What if we dropped off our donations up front?"

The volunteer gestured toward a pile of groceries conveniently stacked near the candidate. "Just grab something," he said.

Two teenage boys retrieved a jar of peanut butter each, and got in line. When it was their turn, they handed their "donations" to Romney. He took them, smiled, and offered an earnest "Thank you."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/romney-campaign-bought-own-supplies-for-storm-relief

Good Lord :lol
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20695 on: October 31, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
Another victim of Bronco Bama

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20696 on: October 31, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
The Onion, once again being the only news outlet to actually have real news:

Nation Suddenly Realizes This Just Going To Be A Thing That Happens From Now On
October 31, 2012 | ISSUE 48•44 | More News

NEW YORK—Following Hurricane Sandy’s destructive tear through the Northeast this week, the nation’s 300 million citizens looked upon the trail of devastation and fully realized, for the first time, that this is just going to be something that happens from now on.

Gradually comprehending that this sort of thing is now just a fact of life, citizens all across America stared blankly at images of destroyed homes, major cities paralyzed by flooding, and ravaged communities covered in debris, and finally acknowledged that this, apparently, is now a regular part of the human experience.

“Oh, I see—this is just going to be how it is from here on out,” said New York City resident Brian Marcello, coming to terms with the fact that an immense storm that cripples mass transit systems and knocks out power for millions in the nation’s largest metropolitan area can no longer be regarded as an isolated, freak incident, and will henceforth be just a normal thing that happens. “Hugely destructive weather events are going to keep happening, and they are going to get worse and worse, and living through them is something that will be a part of all our lives from now on, whether we like it or not.”

“I get it now,” Marcello added.

Faced with the prospect of long months before any of the widespread damage is truly repaired, the millions who reside along the Eastern Seaboard told reporters today they fully understood, for the first time, that natural disasters killing scores of Americans and costing billions of dollars are going to be routine events, not just in the immediate foreseeable future, but permanently.

Sources added that by early Wednesday morning, it abruptly occurred to millions more citizens that the news stories they’ve been seeing that feature displaced families, photos of debris, shut-down businesses, and government relief efforts have already started to feel “extremely familiar,” because these are things that happen now.

“I was just watching a CNN news story about how much damage Sandy has caused in comparison to Katrina, Ike, or last year’s storm that ravaged the Northeast, and it dawned on me: ‘Ah, okay, being a human being on Planet Earth, pretty much no matter where you are, now involves the threat of one day having your home, city, or country decimated in a matter of hours by a severe weather event,’” Detroit resident Stacy Hillman said. “Looking at images of cities—actual American fucking cities—flooded with water is no longer an incredibly weird, unprecedented thing to see. It has happened before, it happened this week, and it will continue to happen again and again in the future, and to an even greater extent.”

“So, then, I guess that what it means to be a member of human civilization has changed forever, pretty much,” Hillman added. “And that this is the new world we live in.”

A Reuters poll conducted earlier this week found that 43 percent of Americans reported finally accepting the fact that a potentially endless number of increasingly lethal natural disasters would likely occur throughout the coming decades, while as many as 18 percent of respondents said they were “almost relieved” knowing that the possibility of their entire life being washed away in an instant now existed.

“Right now, Americans all across the country are watching the aftermath of this storm and at long last recognizing that this is what life is like now,” said Dr. Richard Morales, a climatologist at the University of Pennsylvania. “Admittedly, it could take a little while for some to fully acknowledge it, but at the end of the day, people will be much happier once they accept that they and their loved ones will likely suffer the consequences of an even stronger, more deadly hurricane at some point very soon. It’s going to happen.”

“I went through something very similar a few years ago when I finally came to terms with the fact that no one would ever listen to anything I said about global warming,” Morales added. “And that it is entirely too late to do anything about it.”
©@©™

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #20697 on: October 31, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20698 on: October 31, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Unskewed, that's Romney +3, +2, +2, +2, tie, tie, tie.

ROMENTUM IS REAL
乱学者

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20699 on: October 31, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Unskewed, that's Romney +3, +2, +2, +2, tie, tie, tie.

ROMENTUM IS REAL

DICK MORRIS TOLD ME SO, AND HE IS A TRUSTWORTHY MAN WITHOUT AN AGENDA
yar