Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1856112 times)

siamesedreamer

Re: so, Obama is president
« Reply #2940 on: March 27, 2009, 12:23:13 PM »
Beck is beating Olby and on some days Olby and Maddow combined.  :lol

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #2941 on: March 27, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »
Beck is beating Olby and on some days Olby and Maddow combined.  :lol

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

MSNBC is doing just fine, great in fact. CNN is the one that needs to be worried. From your link:
Meanwhile, we hear another story will hit the wires later today or tomorrow morning about MSNBC's ratings gains. Insiders tells us MSNBC is poised to beat CNN for the month of March in the A25-54 demo and, for the first time ever, in Total Viewers.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2942 on: March 27, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
War on drugs :bow2

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/03/mexicos_drug_war.html

:-\

You do realize that all that violence could stop tomorrow if we would just legalize drugs?

You honestly believe that?

Cheebs

« Reply #2943 on: March 27, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
Even if we could somehow magically make Obama try to legalize something that is currently illegal and political suicide it should be gay marriage not drugs.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #2944 on: March 27, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
I disagree.  Nobody is being put in jail for getting gay married as far as I know.
QED

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2945 on: March 27, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »
don't mention that on GAF

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2946 on: March 27, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/23/tammy-bruce-calls-the-oba_n_178109.html

jesus fucking christ @ her voice

I thought the Michelle hate kinda died down after the initial attacks/smears/rumors didn't work in the primaries

Cheebs

« Reply #2947 on: March 27, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/23/tammy-bruce-calls-the-oba_n_178109.html

I thought the Michelle hate kinda died down after the initial attacks/smears/rumors didn't work in the primaries
that is terrible. what the fuck is this crazy lady trying to mock about her? that she tried to get an a? that she sounds black? wtf. She didnt do a fake black voice that is how Michelle sounds when she isn't doing speeches.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2948 on: March 27, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
That clip is like the definition of petty bullshit. Making fun of someone about them wanting to get an A? Playing up the "acting white" comment as if it's an attack on white people? I've maybe had a couple white people tell me I acted white. The vast majority of folks who made fun of the music I liked or the way I talked or the grades I got were/are black.

They're truly fanning the flames of hate and misinformation

Oblivion

« Reply #2949 on: March 27, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »

that is terrible. what the fuck is this crazy lady trying to mock about her? that she tried to get an a? that she sounds black? wtf. She didnt do a fake black voice that is how Michelle sounds when she isn't doing speeches.

Yeah, seriously what the hell was her point? :lol

Who is dis biatch anyway?

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2950 on: March 27, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »
natural right of man? oookkkkaayyyy

Barry Egan

« Reply #2951 on: March 27, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »
I can't find anything about blazing in my PDF of natural rights.  did I miss an update or something?

Barry Egan

« Reply #2952 on: March 27, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
woah, thank you for bestowing me with this honor.

:bow Green Shinobi :bow2

Barry Egan

« Reply #2953 on: March 27, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
I won't!

I'm off to down some opiates inside a police department.  ttyl.

Barry Egan

« Reply #2954 on: March 27, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »
EBtweet: I'm in jail. bubububub natural rights  :'(

Cheebs

« Reply #2955 on: March 27, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
It is your natural right to do anything that doesn't interfere with any other person's natural right to peace and security.
you sound like FoC lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2956 on: March 27, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »
And you think legalizing hardcore drugs won't effect peace and security? Where do you live again?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2957 on: March 27, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »
I smoked like 4 bowls last night and laughed like a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow at AD.
serge

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2958 on: March 27, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »
I smoked like 4 bowls last night and laughed like a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow at AD.

send this cigarillo to jail
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2959 on: March 27, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
I disagree.  Nobody is being put in jail for getting gay married as far as I know.

Eh.  Gay people are basically a social class now.  Potsmokers are hobbyists.

The war on drugs is a crock, but it seems like the worst injustices happen in cities and are inseparable from the other urban problems.  And the more anti-prohibitionists sell legalization as a cure-all, the less inclined I am to listen to them.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2960 on: March 27, 2009, 11:05:32 PM »
BUT IT WILL CURE ALL.

1. Legalize Pot
2. Tax It
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!!
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2961 on: March 27, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »
someone pass mandark the spliff
duc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2962 on: March 27, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
I can't find anything about blazing in my PDF of natural rights.  did I miss an update or something?

It is your natural right to do anything that doesn't interfere with any other person's natural right to peace and security.

Offer not valid for Mexican citizens seeking US residence.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2963 on: March 27, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
Someone here (may have been Green Shinobi) suggested taxing pot would get us out of the recession.  Or maybe that was Guybrush Threepwood.  The whole weed scene is pretty obnoxious in general.  I've smoked my fair share but people who seemingly base their lives on pot and its subculture aren't worth paying attention to.
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2964 on: March 27, 2009, 11:46:01 PM »
There's the Billions in law enforcement and incarceration that would be saved. Plus it would take at least one feather out of the Mexican Drug Lord's cap.
___

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #2965 on: March 27, 2009, 11:52:28 PM »
Estimated tax revenues from legalized pot are always overstated. If it were legalized, the price of pot would plummet. And, as it's pretty easy to grow, it would still mostly be an underground business immune from taxation. It should still be legalized, but it's no cure-all for state coffers.

and
natural rights = fiction

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2966 on: March 27, 2009, 11:57:32 PM »
:bow rousseau :bow2
duc

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2967 on: March 27, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »
It's weird that peolple somehow think it'll be grown and taxed like tobacco when everyone can just grow it in their basement, or shed, or have that one guy on the block that grows reeeally good stuff as a hobby. It would never be an industry with whole plantations.
___

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2968 on: March 28, 2009, 12:04:28 AM »
It's weird that peolple somehow think it'll be grown and taxed like tobacco when everyone can just grow it in their basement, or shed, or have that one guy on the block that grows reeeally good stuff as a hobby. It would never be an industry with whole plantations.

Yes that's an important distinction from it and alcohol, too. I can't just make my own beer and wine. Thus, I have no choice but to pay the high rates of sin tax. I could, however, grow my own marijuana, then roll it, and smoke it.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2969 on: March 28, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »
natural rights = fiction

Yeah.  But it's kind of a useful fiction.

If people didn't have it beaten into their heads from childhood that everyone is entitled to certain freedoms, you'd never get a society that agreed to recognize them in practice.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2970 on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:36 AM »

Yes that's an important distinction from it and alcohol, too. I can't just make my own beer and wine. Thus, I have no choice but to pay the high rates of sin tax. I could, however, grow my own marijuana, then roll it, and smoke it.

I dunno, weed smokers are pretty lazy generally speaking.  I know plenty, and they're more than content to fork over $50-60 for an 1/8 of an ounce of good weed.  A 1/4 pound of good weed goes to street dealers at about a grand; if it got sold completely (yeah right, the dealer isn't gonna smoke any of his own stash- most small time dealers I know do it just to break even and not have to pay for their own weed) it would gross $1600.  That's $600 in profit, or 37.5%.  I bet the government would buy from growers or middlemen and accept a 38% or so profit margin on something that they just had to bag up.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2971 on: March 28, 2009, 12:21:20 AM »
Legalize weed

[youtube=560,345]oMzB6X4z_dM[/youtube]
fat

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2972 on: March 28, 2009, 12:38:49 AM »
Triumph, that's what those people are willing to pay in an illegal market with artificial high prices. Without the fear of penal sanctions, prices would have to drop, as would how much people would be willing to pay and how much tax they'd be willing to pay. If the tax were excessive, people could easily go back to the underground market and/or grow it themselves--especially without the fear of penal sanctions--limiting just how much revenue states could extract from the plant.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2973 on: March 28, 2009, 12:40:25 AM »
Triumph, that's what those people are willing to pay in an illegal market with artificial high prices. Without the fear of penal sanctions, prices would have to drop, as would how much people would be willing to pay and how much tax they'd be willing to pay. If the tax were excessive, people could easily go back to the underground market and/or grow it themselves--especially without the fear of penal sanctions--limiting just how much revenue states could extract from the plant.

People are lazy.
People who smoke weed are ESPECIALLY lazy.

Both facts.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2974 on: March 28, 2009, 12:55:14 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/27/jim-webb-pot-legalization_n_180073.html

Aw shit, I think Webb wants to get in yer pants Triumph

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2975 on: March 28, 2009, 12:57:10 AM »
You gotta figure economies of scale + convenience = large market for legal weed.  How many people grow their own food?

But Malek's right that if you set the tax too high, you encourage people to go into the black market and that undercuts the revenues.

Oh shit I just restated the Laffer Curve.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2976 on: March 28, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
I dunno if growing weed and growing/farming food is too comparable though. Seems a lot easier and more profitable to grow weed in your room and sell it under the table.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2977 on: March 28, 2009, 01:12:46 AM »
How many people could/would grow turnips in their closet?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:16:16 AM by Mamacint »
___

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2978 on: March 28, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »
But produce is subsidized to the point where most of it costs less than a dollar per pound. I don't foresee pot being that inexpensive. If it were, than people would obviously have no incentive to grow their own and you would be right. As long as the price is still significantly high, people would still have a reason to grow their own.

People would grow turnips in their closets if it got them high.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:17:53 AM by Malek »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2979 on: March 28, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
That might be true, but it's setting a pretty low bar.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2980 on: March 28, 2009, 01:48:43 AM »
Big Tobacco is forced to put warnings on their cartons and packs. Since they're multi-billion dollar corporations with millions of share holders, they have to go along with any government mandated warnings, rather than go-out of business. It's not as if Philip Morris can go underground. Meth-dealers, on the other hand, have no such incentive to comply with mandated warnings.

The addiction rate would stay the same. But if more people try something, that's a larger pool of potential addicts. I don't think meth users should be jailed, but I would still discourage meth plants and meth distribution. The harm caused by meth and the small harm caused by marijuana is so different that the two shouldn't even be in the same discussion.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:55:43 AM by Malek »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2981 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:26 AM »
Meth is dangerous, not only to the people who use it but those surrounding them. It's toxic. I don't see how "legalizing and taxing" it would even apply considering most US homes contain the ingredients for the drug.

Legalizing coke/cocaine probably won't do anything to curve violence or incarcerations in inner cities. If anything it was make things worse

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2982 on: March 28, 2009, 02:09:46 AM »
I wouldn't jail any drug users. I would, however, favor mandated treatment for repeated users who lack volition. IF they are not free to act because of their drug dependence, they wouldn't be losing their freedom; they'd be regaining it.

accusations of
spoiler (click to show/hide)
1984 DOUBLESPEAK
[close]

in 3 . . . 2 . . .

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2983 on: March 28, 2009, 02:24:57 AM »
Why would anyone buy watered down government meth when they can make it in the privacy of their own home, as potent/dangerous and powerful as they please?

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2984 on: March 28, 2009, 02:28:44 AM »
What drug store would carry meth? I would not want to be one of their attorneys! The only way they might be free of liability is with prescriptions.

But then I wouldn't want to be the attorney for the doctor who writes that prescription.

edit: you probably didn't mean that kind of drug store. Still I don't see why they or the manufacturers of meth should be immune from liability.

You know how it's easier for high schoolers to get weed than it is for them to get booze? Same principle.
Really?
http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/12/11/teens-favor-painkillers-alcohol-and-marijuana-over-stimulants/

Teen alcohol use has declined since the mid-1990s, though the levels are still pretty high. The 2008 survey showed that the number of 8th and 12th graders who reported that they drank alcohol one or more times in the past year remained fairly steady at about 32% and about 66% respectively. The number of 10th graders who reported alcohol use in the past year fell 3.8% to 52.5%.
The study showed that marijuana use among teens, which has consistently declined since the mid-1990s, appears to have leveled off, with 10.9% of 8th graders, 23.9% of 10th graders and 32.4% of 12th graders reporting using it in the past year. Teen use of several other illicit drugs, including LSD, ecstasy and heroin remained steady.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:36:11 AM by Malek »

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2985 on: March 28, 2009, 02:29:14 AM »
Why would anyone buy watered down government meth when they can make it in the privacy of their own home, as potent/dangerous and powerful as they please?

People enjoy having skin.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2986 on: March 28, 2009, 02:33:02 AM »

People enjoy having skin.

True, but for how long?

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2987 on: March 28, 2009, 02:55:57 AM »
your data point of one, in a country of 300 million people, is convincing, but it just does not seem reasonable.

Most children's parents have booze in the house
Many corner stores have no qualms about selling booze to underage kids.
Alcohol is more socially acceptable
Alcohol is not illegal per se, thus subject to less stringent controls.

All these factors, among others, makes it easier for kids to get alcohol than marijuana. Though, I don't really know what this has to do with anything.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2988 on: March 28, 2009, 03:30:00 AM »
But your point was that pot was easier to obtain than alcohol.* Now, you are simply explaining one of the reasons why alcohol is easier to obtain than pot. This doesn't help your point.

*this was to support your assertion that age limits with small fines are more effective at curbing the use of something than a complete ban with prison penalties.

And if it were illegal until age 21, like alcohol, it would be more difficult for kids to get their hands on it than it currently is. You know how it's easier for high schoolers to get weed than it is for them to get booze? Same principle.

Think about that:

I won't do x because of a small fine
But I will do y even though the penalty for possession of y is a possible prison sentence.

It's completely illogical.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:33:59 AM by Malek »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2989 on: March 28, 2009, 03:33:31 AM »
Anyway, your argument is that legalizing drugs would result in more people doing them.
That was never my argument.

But if more people try something, that's a larger pool of potential addicts.

This was a point limited to an argument about METH, not drugs in general.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:35:37 AM by Malek »

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #2990 on: March 28, 2009, 03:48:29 AM »
I would definitely smoke pot on occasion if it were legal.  At present, I've only done so when it was directly offered to me, because I'm too shy to ask people for illegal substances.  I don't think it would screw me up any more than online forums have.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:52:35 AM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Cheebs

« Reply #2991 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
You really think drug stores would carry cocaine or meth? lol. They would never carry stuff that is far more addictive and far more likely to kill you than cigarettes. They'd get sued constantly. It'd make the lawsuits against the tobacco companies look like nothing.

I get the idea of legalizing weed, weed is fine. But coke, meth, etc? Anyone who takes those higher extreme drugs is a fucking idiot and the government shouldn't help them kill themselves with those products.

Cheebs

« Reply #2992 on: March 28, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »
New poll out of CT is very interesting. Oddly Dodd looks like he'll be able to pull off re-election but Lieberman in 2012 unless he retires is going to hand it over to the republican due to vote splitting.

Connecticut

2010 U.S. Senate
Sen. Chris Dodd (D) 45%, Rob Simmons (R) 40%
Sen. Chris Dodd (D) 51%, Sam Caligiuri (R) 30%
Sen. Chris Dodd (D) 53%, Larry Kudlow (R) 31%

2012 U.S. Senate
Jodi Rell (R) 42%, Ned Lamont (D) 30%, Sen. Joe Lieberman (I) 25%
Jodi Rell (R) 43%, Dick Blumenthal (D) 28%, Sen. Joe Lieberman (I) 25%

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2993 on: March 28, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »

I still don't see how drug manufactures or drug stores could escape liability for producing and selling things like meth. They owe a duty of care to their customers. It's reasonably foreseeable that meth will cause substantial harm to users. Consent is unlikely to be a valid defense because meth addicts would be found to be mentally incapable of waiving their legal rights. Even if consent were a defense against direct users, it wouldn't be a defense against third-party plaintiffs harmed by meth users who purchased meth from the defendant-manufactures or the defendant-drug stores.

For policy reasons, I don't see governments shielding meth producers from liability.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
Green, I wasn't speaking about illegality, but about civil liability relating to these products. You might think that these drugs should be treated like alcohol by the courts. Courts have generally held that alcohol per se isn't harmful; that is, they have ruled that alcohol isn't inherently dangerous unless abused.* As a result, alcohol manufactures have generally been shielded from civil action. But the dirty little secret is that judges are influenced by societal norms and pressures that cause them to make rulings that won't restrict access to alcohol or increase the cost of alcohol. Such policy concerns would generally not come in to play with hard drugs. Judges would not face societal pressure to shield manufacturers and distributors from the harms associated with their products. Consequently, I don't see drug stores carrying such products for fear of civil action.

*It's reasonably foreseeable that a substantial percentage of alcohol users will become addicted to their products and will harm themselves and others. It's difficult to see why the costs associated with alcohol should borne by society as whole, and not by alcohol producers, distributors, and retailers--the ones profiting from its sale.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2995 on: March 28, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
Meth did a pretty good chewing up some of the smaller towns here in Iowa.  Thankfully, the situation has been getting better, thanks to making it difficult to get pseudoephedrine and increased amounts of law enforcement around the times farmers use ammonia.

To be honest, when it comes to drugs, I think the greater good should win out over "natural rights" which are really just defined by society.  I can't think of too many drugs outside of marijuana that are probably safe enough to legalize.
🍆🍆

Cheebs

« Reply #2996 on: March 28, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »
You also seem to forget it is also human nature for most to want order, security, and safety.

Barry Egan

« Reply #2997 on: March 28, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »
Here's a fact: criminalizing human nature doesn't work and hasn't worked since the dawn of time.

the present era notwithstanding, Christianity had a pretty damn good run. 

Cheebs

« Reply #2998 on: March 28, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
You also seem to forget it is also human nature for most to want order, security, and safety.

Come on, stop leaving fastballs over the plate.
You are ignoring my point. Many people in America including most parents don't like "bad" things out there, they want their kids safe and secure. Look at the outrage stuff like a nipple slip on live tv, or violent media...etc get.

You honestly think the public looking at how America's nature is would be ok with legalizing COCAINE?

Your vision of human nature is contrary to the American nature of most of the public.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2999 on: March 28, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »
Here's a fact: criminalizing human nature doesn't work and hasn't worked since the dawn of time. Any time you outlaw something that a significant number of people want to do, you create a black market that will be catered to. Denying this fact is stupid and naive.

Again, this comports with your anti-immigration stance how?