Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1855671 times)

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #5580 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »
I guess the irony of having a health care bill that dwarfs the U.S. constitution is lost on everyone.

that's okay. I welcome unreadable legislation. :bow

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #5581 on: October 19, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »
I guess the irony of having a health care bill that dwarfs the U.S. constitution is lost on everyone.

Maybe because a health care bill will impact more than 300 million people?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5582 on: October 19, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »

Don't Libertarians worship Atlas Shrugged?  If you could read that huge piece of agonizingly bad and unreadable shit, a large, comprehensive (read: relevant) health care bill should be a cakewalk in comparison.
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
How hard is it to read 1000 pages? I could do that in less than a week if it was my fucking job to do it. Probably in a day if I was just plucking out relevant information with the help of my staff of 10 people taking the notes for me.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
How hard is it to read 1000 pages? I could do that in less than a week if it was my fucking job to do it. Probably in a day if I was just plucking out relevant information with the help of my staff of 10 people taking the notes for me.

I think the point is that the GOP wants to make people think there are various hidden gotcha clauses tucked away in there.

Like, "If a public option alternative is such a no brainer, why does it need a 1500 page bill? :smug "

🍆🍆

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #5585 on: October 19, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »

okay folks, no law is allowed to be longer than an article in reader's digest or a blog post just because the writers of the constitution didn't really feel like elaborating on their words

oh and btw

HOW CAN I POSSIBLY READ A THOUSAND PAGES OF THAT, OH GOD SO UNREADABLE *is a libertarian, squeaks and skitters into hole behind the fridge at the thought of reading anything that doesn't teach a thinly-veiled religious dogma of ubermensch saviors*
wtc

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5586 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »

This would make an awesome Ron Paul bumper sticker.

And it makes about the same amount of sense...

Oblivion

« Reply #5587 on: October 20, 2009, 03:59:51 AM »
The story, My Pet Goat probably contains more pages than the Constitution.

Don't Libertarians worship the Bible?  If you could read that huge piece of agonizingly bad and unreadable shit, a large, comprehensive (read: relevant) health care bill should be a cakewalk in comparison.

Fixed. :smug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Replace libertarians with republicans if necessary.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Would FoC's head explode if he realized that supreme court opinions are often longer than the constitution? Or is he he just too stupid?

He's really that stupid.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
If there were a 15000 page document on market deregulation and the permanent banning of abortion and gay rights, republicans would have that shit memorized.
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It's such a shame that Megyn Kelly can be so hot and such a scumbag at the same time.  :'(
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5592 on: October 20, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
It's such a shame that Megyn Kelly can be so hot and such a scumbag at the same time.  :'(

What's funny is that she is worse than Hannity, and O'Reilly combined. Because while those guys are partisan nut bags at least for the most part they don't try to pretend they aren't. (Well technically that's not true because O'Reilly drumbeats that he isn't partisan but at least we  all can agree that's bullshit).

That chick runs an ostensibly non-partisan news hour but during that time slot is where I've seen some of the worst examples of biased and stacked journalism on Fox and that is a worse crime because that portion of the news is supposed to be straight news according to Fox.

Phoenix Dark

I don't see the point in defending Jennings. The kid may have been of age but I'm still baffled how a teacher wouldn't report that.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5594 on: October 20, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »
Chris Matthews is grilling this right wing nutjob on Hardball. :lol
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5595 on: October 20, 2009, 06:13:04 PM »
This is like conspiracy militant nutjob hour.
PSP

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #5596 on: October 20, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »
This is like conspiracy militant nutjob hour.

Mandark

• Icon
I don't see the point in defending Jennings. The kid may have been of age but I'm still baffled how a teacher wouldn't report that.

Why would he?  Unless it's breaking the law or some professional code of ethics (like if the older man were a teacher at that school), why would he be obligated to tell people about this?  Whom would he report it to?

If the student was still in the closet, there would have been good reason to believe that outing him would have made things worse, not better.

I haven't followed this too closely, so maybe there are important details I'm missing here.

Phoenix Dark

If a teenage student admits to having sex with strangers at a bus stop, I'm sorry but it strikes me as something a teacher needs to reported to social services. That's not a safe environment for a kid to be involved in.

Even Jennings admits it
"Twenty one years later I can see how I should have handled this situation differently.  I should have asked for more information and consulted legal or medical authorities. Teachers back then had little training or guidance about this kind of thing. All teachers should have a basic level of preparedness. I would like to see the Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools play a bigger role in helping to prepare teachers."
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10/02/the-new-right-wing-hit-job-kevin-jennings/13

But the weird thing is that he mentions he should have consulted legal authorities. If Media Matters is right, and the kid was 16, he wouldn't need to consult them. Jennings account was that the kid was 15, MM tracked down the kid and he's said he was 16 at the time. So yea...kinda confusing
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:40:00 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Stoney Mason

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5600 on: October 20, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »
If a teenage student admits to having sex with strangers at a bus stop, I'm sorry but it strikes me as something a teacher needs to reported to social services. That's not a safe environment for a kid to be involved in.

What environment? Is social services going to remove him from bus stops?

... but the weird thing is that he mentions he should have consulted legal authorities. If Media Matters is right, and the kid was 16, he wouldn't need to consult them. Jennings account was that the kid was 15, MM tracked down the kid and he's said he was 16 at the time. So yea...kinda confusing

He says legal or medical authorities, which could mean anything really. And - what - he has a problem recalling a relative non-issue from twenty years ago? Burn him at the stake!
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Jenny McCarthy was a pretty good primer for Palin.

If Oprah's fanbase loved Jenny, they'll love Sarah too.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

Stoney Mason

Oprah isn't an especially tough interviewer and she probably wants to appear relatively neutral in this environment with her audience and this is the sort of softball environment Palin excels in so I would expect everything will go fine.

Phoenix Dark

Oprah's ratings are down as is, she's not going to get into a pissing match with Palin. It'll be calm although I'm sure the right will find something to complain about.

I'd love to see Oprah ask Palin about her death panels/they're-gonna-kill-my-special-kid comment. She can defend it online with ease, but it would be funny watching her fail to give a competent answer live.

Stoney Mason

There are lots of thing that could be asked that I would like to hear an answer to.

What did she mean by the "Pro-America" parts of America.
Why was sexism an issue she dismissed for Hillary Clinton but rolled around in it herself like a pig in slop.
Why is it okay to quit being a governor before your term is up and no basketball analogies in the answer please.

But none of that will happen.

Himu

« Reply #5606 on: October 20, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
[youtube=560,345]GPrLCIoxe8Y[/youtube]

I love how Maher hates on creationists so much while he is he conspiring like one in this video
IYKYK

Oblivion

I'm a big fan of Bill Maher, but he really came off as a conspiracy nut.

Very entertaining episode, though. You could tell he was visibly irritated. :lol

Oprah isn't an especially tough interviewer and she probably wants to appear relatively neutral in this environment with her audience and this is the sort of softball environment Palin excels in so I would expect everything will go fine.

The shitty thing about dealing with Palin is that almost any interview would be considered 'tough' or 'unfair' that contains you know, questions.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5608 on: October 20, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »
I'm watching the episode now, and Maher had one of his best jokes ever:

Y'know, Rush Limbaugh put in a bid to buy the St. Louis Rams. He said it's always been his dream to own black people.

:rofl
PSP

Himu

« Reply #5609 on: October 20, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
Did you dvr it or something?
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

This will be my last Beck post for awhile because at a certain point it becomes a bit obnoxious like posting everything Coulter says but still...

I don't think he actually knows what the word means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #5611 on: October 20, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
I'm watching the episode now, and Maher had one of his best jokes ever:

Y'know, Rush Limbaugh put in a bid to buy the St. Louis Rams. He said it's always been his dream to own black people.

:rofl

:lol

Himu

How the fuck did Glenn Beck get popular? It's like when Tyler Perry became popular overnight,"Who the fuck is this idiot?"
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5613 on: October 21, 2009, 12:25:52 AM »
Beck is popular because there is a significant portion of the population that is angry, poor and white and now has to confront the startling reality of being governed by a black man.

... Also, I was just watching a rerun. I have HBO.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

People like Beck usually emerge in times of change or poor economic states. Father Coughlin was doing similar stuff, well probably more extreme actually, during FDR's days.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship

I can't wait to hear about all of President Bush's successful business ventures!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5616 on: October 21, 2009, 01:10:16 AM »
Someone watches Rachel Maddow! Bad Republican! Bad!
PSP

Phoenix Dark

Wow Bush looks old  :-\

Someone edit a "how to take the fall for your boss" bullet into Powell's write-up

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
What would you do with your life if your name was Zig Ziglar?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Someone watches Rachel Maddow! Bad Republican! Bad!

Saw it posted on reddit. :P

I can't watch a woman that looks like John Kerry.

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Moar like what WOULDN'T you do amirite?
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5621 on: October 21, 2009, 01:49:38 AM »
Saw it posted on reddit. :P

I can't watch a woman that looks like John Kerry.

Uh huh. Whatever helps you sleep at night!
PSP

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
Tony Parker: How to land a woman like Eva Longaria who knows she's top shit.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Moar like what WOULDN'T you do amirite?
Have a productive life?  zig's zinged!

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Beck's audience are angry, poor, and white people who are afraid of being left behind in a time when there is a great challenge of the status quo.

I suggested this earlier a couple dozen pages and got shot down but this is the case.
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

ToxicAdam should have posted this here too. It's a good read.

The Very Separate World of Conservative Republicans
©ZH

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5626 on: October 21, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLY SHIT. :lol

I'm watching MSNBC and Cantessa Brewer(sp?) just introduced Rev. Jesse Jackson as Rev. Al Sharpton, and there was this awkward pause until Jackson goes, "I'm Rev. Jesse Jackson." :lol
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Nate Silver's betting that Palin will not only run in 2012, but will win the nomination.  lol..

spoiler (click to show/hide)
..it would be sad if he's right. :(
[close]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:21:38 PM by am nintenho »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5628 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »
Why would it be sad? She'd have little to no chance of beating Obama, which can't be said of some of the better candidates likes Romney or my man Huck

I definitely think she could channel a grass roots movement better than any gop primary candidate and fuel turnout.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #5629 on: October 21, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
but like, what if she won?  That's some sad scary shit.  Not that I think she would...but what if she did? 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Romney has no chance at all PD.  He's relatively moderate compared to them, and he's a mormon so he'll probably do worse than he did in 2008.  I believe that the repubs in general are just going to give up and Ron Paul will have some "impressive" numbers, maybe 20%?

Phoenix Dark

We'll see. For instance, what if Palin and Huck split the evangelical vote so much that Romney is able to pull off early victories. And what will happen when things move from smaller states to larger, more moderate states.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
If the economy is still in the shitter in 2012 Romney has a pretty good chance.  Unemployment over 8% means he could probably beat Obama, to be honest.

...ok probably not, but he's dangerous.  Really dangerous when you consider that he oozes used car salesman vibe out of every pore of his body.
yar

Phoenix Dark

Obama is a one termer unless Palin gets the nom imo. Cheebs disagrees but he's wrong more than I am

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #5634 on: October 21, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
If we had an election today obama wouldn't win re-election. So unless things drastically change he's carter 2.0

Phoenix Dark

true, true :usacry

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5636 on: October 21, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
I don't think he's a one-termer.
püp

Stoney Mason

Obama is a one termer unless Palin gets the nom imo. Cheebs disagrees but he's wrong more than I am

If we went by your track record we would all be under President Romney right now.

I'm never sure why people are eager to make predictions when they are often wrong...

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5638 on: October 21, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
he's just being faithful to the hilldawg
püp

Phoenix Dark

I've made bad predictions in the past but the chips are stacked against Obama. Unemployment will remain a problem, the economy as a whole won't feel better to the average American, Afghanistan will be a problem, young people will grow up, etc.

Ohio, Penn, Florida, Virginia...yea, I doubt they'll be going blue again