Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1793797 times)

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
Guns, homosexuality- this is what happens without the Christian faith!

Skidmark

As a dude of the Christian faith, I am tired of the Pope (and Catholics at large) fucking up the message of the Bible and public perception. Same with thos mid-western hate mongers. I do not remember where it was in the Bible that it was all "Try as hard as you can to fuckin' hate shit that wigs you out and make sure you diddle some kiddy balls and cover it up, okay?".

Parts of the Bible are CRAZY BATSHIT (Like Deuteronomy, which is hilarious non-stop bad advice), but the messgae is always clear: "Do your best. You know how to be a good person. It will not be easy. You'll fuck it up. That's okay. But be patient and kind and take responsibility".

Point being: Don't lump us all together. Saying ALL CHRISTIANS ARE ASSHOLE NUTBAGS is as bad as assuming all Atheists are whacked out Satan worshippers looking to rape virginal young women.
I understand why you are concerned but I really don't think that you should be. I really don't think that many people do judge Christians by what the pope does and if they do that's just pure stupidity from their side.
I don't know if that is true in the states but that is how it is in Sweden and among the people that I know and have meet.
That is unless you support the pope's actions or belong to the Westboro Baptist church or some similar small church where your relation to the church has direct impact on its actions.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
The bible is shit and your religions suck

:patel
Drunk

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Nothing wrong with christians at large. Just the ones who deny science and/or are homophobic. If you are cool with those different than yourself and don't try to pretend you are smarter than a scientist then who cares.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Nothing wrong with christians at large. Just the ones who deny science and/or are homophobic. If you are cool with those different than yourself and don't try to pretend you are smarter than a scientist then who cares.

Agreed although in a lot of the world the people who are denying a lot of science and/or are homophobic happen to be a large part of the "religious". (Especially in this country)

Although as a general thing I'd prefer to leave a lot of that religious discussion stuff over at GAF...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:23:17 PM by Stoney Mason »

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of religion as a homosexual.

I'm cool with religious folk as long as they're not trying to have Jesus or Mohammed save me. Live and let live, I say.

Fresh Prince

Problem is you get 'heaven points' the more people you try and convert. And some people actually like you enough that they don't want you to 'burn in hell'.

Cheebs

And some people actually like you enough that they don't want you to 'burn in hell'.
Which is why I avoid religion around religious family/friends. It's never worth it. I'll normally just keep my mouth shut.

My grandparents are the stereotype definition of the Irish Catholic. Picture of JFK hanging in their house and all. They are nearly 80 yet have their priest over for dinner once a week at their house and so on. Yet I am not going to call them up and go "HOW ABOUT THAT POPE? LOLOLOLOL".

Thank god (lol) my parents were as far from religious as you can get while I was growing up though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:26:05 PM by Cheebs »

Fresh Prince

Eh those type of people religion is central to their lives the only way you can get around it is just shutting your mouth until the next topic of conversation comes along.

Which is what you said any way.

CurseoftheGods

Problem is you get 'heaven points' the more people you try and convert. And some people actually like you enough that they don't want you to 'burn in hell'.

Yup, that's definitely the case with a lot of the folk I've spoken to. It's rather sweet when you think about it, so I try to be as gentle as possible when talking to them.

Beezy

You like the cock? ???

Himu

What about the "moderate" ones who have the pervasive belief that they should ignore the bad parts, keep the good parts?

The ones who say they're religious and their religion is a peaceful religion, and yet raise their noses at Christians who do awful things that are supported by the clear black letters in their Bibles?

"What about the mother who killed her daughter because God told her to?"

"Well, that's not a true Christian."

"What about Abraham? God told him to do the same thing. How come that gets a pass? God rewarded Jacob for attempting to kill his own son for God's "love". Why is it so hard to believe this woman's story if you believe the story in the bible?"

"The story of Abraham is not literal."

"..."

Same thing goes with Islam. "That's not a true Muslim."

Moderate religion is just as ridiculous as Extreme religion.
IYKYK

Himu

You like the cock? ???

Yep. Curse is as gay as Tauntaun. Which is pretty gay.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

What about the "moderate" ones who have the pervasive belief that they should ignore the bad parts, keep the good parts?

The ones who say they're religious and their religion is a peaceful religion, and yet raise their noses at Christians who do awful things that are supported by the clear black letters in their Bibles?

"What about Abraham? God told him to do the same thing. How come that gets a pass? God rewarded Jacob for attempting to kill his own son for God's "love". Why is it so hard to believe this woman's story if you believe the story in the bible?"

"..."

BTW, Himu, speaking of religion...what happened to your Muslim friends when you told them you'd decided to leave Islam and become an atheist?  Did they declare a fatwa on you or something?  I'm pretty curious as to how moderate American muslims would deal with that sort of thing.
PS4

Skidmark

Agreed although in a lot of the world the people who are denying a lot of science and/or are homophobic happen to be a large part of the "religious". (Especially in this country)

Although as a general thing I'd prefer to leave a lot of that religious discussion stuff over at GAF...
For a reason or another I always consider republicans and conservatives to be religious, thats how I imagine them when I think of one. it probably has to do with the media that I watch because I don't remember seeing and atheist conservative supporting Sarah Palin on Fox news.

Videos like these ones make me really hate her and anyone that supports her, it is just ridiculous that we still have people with such world views in this time and age, let alone being almost elected.
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Himu

"..."

BTW, Himu, speaking of religion...what happened to your Muslim friends when you told them you'd decided to leave Islam and become an atheist?  Did they declare a fatwa on you or something?  I'm pretty curious as to how moderate American muslims would deal with that sort of thing.

I only knew a group of Muslims pretty well, and that was a family. I told the family and they're fine with it. The guys at the mosque? We never connected beyond at the mosque anyways.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
They're probably looking for you right now. :o

"We must kill the infidel for turning his back on Allah!"
PS4

Diunx

You like the cock? ???

He loves it :-*
Drunk

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
For a reason or another I always consider republicans and conservatives to be religious, thats how I imagine them when I think of one. it probably has to do with the media that I watch because I don't remember seeing and atheist conservative supporting Sarah Palin on Fox news.

In this country the religious vote use to be a fairly contested vote. But ever since the late 60's and 70's the very religious vote was something Republicans courted more and more and were more successful at pulling than Democrats. People uncomfortable with that of course and those views tend to gravitate to the other party. Of course its not monolithic. Black people on average are slightly more religious than white people and they vote overwhelmingly with the Democratic party. As do Jews. And in the last election Muslims also. So it all depends and varies of course among different religious groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:02:17 PM by Stoney Mason »

Skidmark

I only knew a group of Muslims pretty well, and that was a family. I told the family and they're fine with it. The guys at the mosque? We never connected beyond at the mosque anyways.

This is probably a long story but I am going to ask you anyway, where you born a Muslim or did you convert to Islam? and if you converted then why Islam and what convinced you? and what made you leave?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Himu has been on a very long religious journey.
PS4

CurseoftheGods

I'm the cock's biggest fan.

Himu

This is probably a long story but I am going to ask you anyway, where you born a Muslim or did you convert to Islam? and if you converted then why Islam and what convinced you? and what made you leave?

I used to be Christian. I was born Christian.

But felt a lull in the religious life as a teenager. By the time I was in college I was agnostic and stopped going to church.

But I felt that I should adopt a religion, not for fear of my own mortality or reward, but because it's something that's expected of you.

So I became obsessed with religion and read different books on all the various religions. So I derived at Islam because it wasn't Christianity and also because it was interesting and I could (kinda) swallow the views of the religion because I needed to be spiritual.

But that didn't last long.

It took a lot of self denial but I realized that life is completely a-ok without religion.

Long, long journey; 10 years in the making.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Christianity -> Agnosticism -> Islam -> Atheism -> Zoroastrianism
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Don't forget the part where Himuro converts to Scientology!
PSP

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
That comes after he moves to Hollywood and tries to find work as a film editor.
PS4

Skidmark

I used to be Christian. I was born Christian.

But felt a lull in the religious life as a teenager. By the time I was in college I was agnostic and stopped going to church.

But I felt that I should adopt a religion, not for fear of my own mortality or reward, but because it's something that's expected of you.

So I became obsessed with religion and read different books on all the various religions. So I derived at Islam because it wasn't Christianity and also because it was interesting and I could (kinda) swallow the views of the religion because I needed to be spiritual.

But that didn't last long.

It took a lot of self denial but I realized that life is completely a-ok without religion.

Long, long journey; 10 years in the making.

There was a girl on youtube who converted to Islam and suddenly became a cewebrity among the Muslim community on youtube, she was praised and discussed on Muslim boards, but when she later on denounced Islam, they all claimed that it was just a stunt or a show and she was never a muslim and never understood what Islam is.
I bet you got similar reactions too when you denounced Islam, I can look up her videos for you if you want me to.

etiolate

"..."

oh himu

Cheebs

I became atheist when I was like 3 or 4.  :lol

My mom says when I was that age I went up to my parents and told them I didn't think Santa was real and instead of trying to convince me they told me I was right, meaning I have no memory of ever believing in Santa (I remember every time christmas came around starting in preschool my mom made me promise to not tell any of the other kids lol).

But to the actual point, right after that I then said "Jesus isn't real either I bet." or something similar which they started laughing hysterically at. I questioned the logic of christianity when I still was watching Sesame Street.

The odd thing is I believed in the tooth fairy though! Tooth fairy seemed a lot more logical to me than the idea of Jesus I guess.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:14:43 PM by Cheebs »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I became atheist when I was like 3 or 4.  :lol

My mom says when I was that age I went up to my parents and told them I didn't think Santa was real and instead of trying to convince me they told me I was right, meaning I have no memory of ever believing in Santa (I remember every time christmas came around starting in preschool my mom made me promise to not tell any of the other kids lol).

But to the actual point, right after that I then said "Jesus isn't real either I bet." or something similar which they started laughing hysterically at. I questioned the logic of christianity when I still was watching Sesame Street.

The odd thing is I believed in the tooth fairy though. :lol Tooth fairy seemed a lot more logical to me than the idea of Jesus I guess.

Obama is shaking his head right now.
PS4

Cheebs

Eh? Obama's grandparents who basically raised him were atheists as was his mom.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

"..."

oh himu

Nothing like changing your opinion at a moments notice to give you the insight to know everyone else is wrong.
©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

You renounced Jesus as a child.  Obama found Jesus as an adult.

I'll pray for you, Cheebs.
PS4

Cheebs

Yeah but I accepted the tooth fairy that has to count for something! No Jesus or Santa though, I was wise to their game.  :punch

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

Yeah but I accepted the tooth fairy that has to count for something! No Jesus or Santa though, I was wise to their game.  :punch

Blasphemy.  I'll ask Benedict XVI to include you in his prayers, right next to all the pedo priests.
PS4

Who said all Christians or religious people are asshole nutbags? This issue solely is on the pope. :lol

Don't expect crazy religious freaks to be able to tell the difference :teehee

etiolate

well the tooth fairy, much like socialism, gives you money when you lose things like teeth or jobs

no wonder Cheebs was down

I found Jesus, too.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He was at a NAMBLA meeting :shh
[close]

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I found Jesus, too.

[close]

You attend NAMBLA meetings!?
PS4

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
fek

etiolate

Cheebs

well the tooth fairy, much like socialism, gives you money when you lose things like teeth or jobs

I had tangible results from the tooth fairy to prove her existence.

Jesus gave me nothing!

I found Jesus, too.

[close]

When I was a kid. They used to have them in the same building as my sunday school classes :'(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Self-Potato'd
©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

Jesus gave me nothing!

He gave his life for your sins, Cheebs.

Enjoy burning in hellfire for all eternity.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I found Jesus, too.

[close]

When I was a kid. They used to have them in the same building as my sunday school classes :'(

So you were an honorary junior member?

Junior member :teehee
PS4

They called it being "saved" :punch

Cheebs

Jesus gave me nothing!

He gave his life for your sins, Cheebs.

Enjoy burning in hellfire for all eternity.

The weird things despite that and the lack of my parents being at all religious or ever going to to church they sent me to religious school. The schools never once convinced me oddly despite the fact when in kindergarden the nun did weird puppet shows for us to showcase bible tales. 3 year old cheebs made up his mind and didn't back down after that.  8)

Skidmark

Kind of :nsfw
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

etiolate

if only jesus had given Cheebs money for losing shotgun on the car rides

Fresh Prince

I'd rather believe in somebody being able to make me live forever rather than giving me $5 a tooth, Cheebs :smug

My stepdad teaches at a Catholic high school in Brooklyn, but weirdly I have never once heard him discuss religion around my family. I just don't think anyone in my family gives a fuck at this point. :lol

Diunx

Poor Cheebs riding backseat on the highway to hell :'(
Drunk

Cheebs

if only jesus had given Cheebs money for losing shotgun on the car rides
Probably would have been enough to convince me.

According to PD Cheebs still rides in the backseat :rofl

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I heard about that. :rofl
PS4

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
My stepdad teaches at a Catholic high school in Brooklyn, but weirdly I have never once heard him discuss religion around my family. I just don't think anyone in my family gives a fuck at this point. :lol

Well according to Himuro, your dad is evil person and will probably kill you at some point.
©@©™

Fresh Prince

Teaching at a Catholic highschool doesn't mead you're a hardcore Catholic any way.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Teaching at a Catholic highschool doesn't mead you're a hardcore Catholic any way.

According to Himuro, because one mentally disturbed woman killed her kids, all religions are wrong and even moderately religious people are evil.
©@©™

Fresh Prince

My spelling is atrocious. I need to use spell check  :-\