Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 797889 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #4560 on: February 23, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »
catwoman transformation scene is still the best comic book suit up

:lawd

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4561 on: February 28, 2018, 12:54:27 AM »
I'm nearly done with the Star Wars Episode I pinball. I have:

Replaced alll lights with LEDs
Rebuilt the flippers
Cleaned this... unknown glop from the playfield and even under the playfield. Seriously it was some dark sticky tar that was adhering to anywhere the balll was
Replaced the balls
Added playfield spotlights
Replaced the T molding on the outside trim
Removed the fluorescent light and replaced it with a USB LED strip
Replaced all playfield posts
Replaced all playfield and flipper rubber
Retuned the pop bumper switches to 1/16 of an inch to make them fire more consistently
Cleaned and repaired some side art damage

This game was what is called a reimport. 50% of Williams' business at the time was based on exporting the games to Europe. This particular game went to Norway. Where Williams messed up was exporting the game to countries that didn't have the movie playing yet and wouldn't be playing it for MONTHS. So, yes, the property was kinda bad, but people seriously had no idea who these characters were in a movie that was months away.

If you've never seen a Pinball 2000 game, it uses what's called a Pepper's Ghost illusion where a CRT monitor is mounted in the backbox and the image is reflected onto a mirrored playfield glass, giving the illusion that the playfield is changing and reacting to what is being displayed. It is a convincing illusion and makes the game very interactive.

Anyway when I picked it up the monitor image was awful. Greys were invisible and dark colors were muddy. I was convinced that I would have to replace it which is a little out of my league - I can work on pinball games but CRTs are explody bombs that can act like capacitors and can kill you if you touch the wrong part of the exposed innards.

As an example:

The green starburst should be bright and cover the playfield. Adding LED lights would just make it worse. I was able to adjust the gain from the neckboard of the CRT carefully and get the picture to be a lot better but at that point I had no where else to go with the picture: 

It looks good but you can see through the image quite a bit and I had no more adjustments left. Any gain and I would get pink diagonal flyback lines across the screen from over volting the neck.

As it turns out, there is a design flaw from Williams that needs fixed - the voltage coming from the CGA video card is about 1/3 where it needs to be to give the CRT a good signal. The picture may have never looked good. I could replace the CRT with an LED/LCD monitor but this takes some serious retrofitting and also loses some of the 3D effect. A company called Ultimarc makes an amplifier addion though, that can be added to many arcade games and it works in this case - it boosts the signal from a VGA/CGA source and give the CRT the correct RGB values to a clear picture.

One Ultimarc amp later:

And it looks much, much better. I made a new wiring harness with Molex trifurcon connectors - my first time doing this and I'll never do it differently. Now the picture looks like this:

And while it may not look like much, there is a big difference. The star field around the inset video frame is actually visible and much less of the rear plastics and playfield is visible through the image. The white of the sky is bright with plenty of saturation, and the LED lights don't blow out the reflection. Also, I could turn the gain WAY down as well as the manual brightness and contrast controls - I have someplace I can adjust the picture to in the future! Really happy with how this turned out.
rub

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4562 on: February 28, 2018, 12:56:31 AM »
I so desperately need friends
rub

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4563 on: February 28, 2018, 01:32:16 AM »
I love that tinkering nerdy shit. I will admit I did not understand half of what you were saying although maybe that's the appeal. It's like watching James May's Reassembler show.

But it's not a video playlist that I fall asleep in the middle of and forget the last point I saw. Good shit Mr. Zomgee

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4564 on: February 28, 2018, 03:39:34 AM »

Get Road Show and I'll crash at your place for a while. I'll bring beers.

kingv

« Reply #4565 on: February 28, 2018, 06:04:15 AM »

That pinball is pretty awesome. I really want a decent pinball for my basement once I get it finished...

Sadly, I don’t know how to fix one up myself.

Corporal

« Reply #4566 on: February 28, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
To do:
research how to become zomgees long lost twin brother
hole up in zomgees hideout somewhere, beg for quarters at local McD's, play flipper for rest of my life

Anyway.
My discount work "netbook" (Jumper S3 Pro) is here. It's not even a Netbook as I was initially told, its a full fledged Laptop. Yay. Work will be so much better with a reasonably sized Laptop keyboard and non-stamp-sized screen. It's QWERTY instead of QWERTZ though, so that will fuck with me for a while.

It's even a new revision with comparatively high speed internal flash from Sandisk instead of a no-name Chinese brand, and an improved touchpad. The BIOS is locked, but can be unlocked by flashing a haxxored BIOS file, which I'm gonna do once I'm more comfortable with this thing. And when nobody is looking.

What a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a throwaway machine and got a modest to good work Laptop. Probably riddled with chinese spyware, but whatevs. They can watch me google tech problems and stealthily play games and surf the web all day if they so want.
!list

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4568 on: February 28, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »
i thought we had something

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4569 on: February 28, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
This passion/hobby is hella cool, don't you dare let anyone tell you differently.

:bolo

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4570 on: February 28, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »

Rebuilt the flippers
Cleaned this... unknown glop from the playfield and even under the playfield. Seriously it was some dark sticky tar that was adhering to anywhere the balll was
Replaced the balls
Retuned the pop bumper switches to 1/16 of an inch to make them fire more consistently

This game was what is called a reimport. 50% of Williams' business at the time was based on exporting the games to Europe. This particular game went to Norway. Where Williams messed up was exporting the game to countries that didn't have the movie playing yet and wouldn't be playing it for MONTHS. So, yes, the property was kinda bad, but people seriously had no idea who these characters were in a movie that was months away.

If you've never seen a Pinball 2000 game, it uses what's called a Pepper's Ghost illusion where a CRT monitor is mounted in the backbox and the image is reflected onto a mirrored playfield glass, giving the illusion that the playfield is changing and reacting to what is being displayed. It is a convincing illusion and makes the game very interactive.

Anyway when I picked it up the monitor image was awful. Greys were invisible and dark colors were muddy. I was convinced that I would have to replace it which is a little out of my league - I can work on pinball games but CRTs are explody bombs that can act like capacitors and can kill you if you touch the wrong part of the exposed innards.

As an example:

(Image removed from quote.)

The green starburst should be bright and cover the playfield. Adding LED lights would just make it worse. I was able to adjust the gain from the neckboard of the CRT carefully and get the picture to be a lot better but at that point I had no where else to go with the picture: 

It looks good but you can see through the image quite a bit and I had no more adjustments left. Any gain and I would get pink diagonal flyback lines across the screen from over volting the neck.

As it turns out, there is a design flaw from Williams that needs fixed - the voltage coming from the CGA video card is about 1/3 where it needs to be to give the CRT a good signal. The picture may have never looked good. I could replace the CRT with an LED/LCD monitor but this takes some serious retrofitting and also loses some of the 3D effect. A company called Ultimarc makes an amplifier addion though, that can be added to many arcade games and it works in this case - it boosts the signal from a VGA/CGA source and give the CRT the correct RGB values to a clear picture.

One Ultimarc amp later:

And it looks much, much better. I made a new wiring harness with Molex trifurcon connectors - my first time doing this and I'll never do it differently. Now the picture looks like this:

And while it may not look like much, there is a big difference. The star field around the inset video frame is actually visible and much less of the rear plastics and playfield is visible through the image. The white of the sky is bright with plenty of saturation, and the LED lights don't blow out the reflection. Also, I could turn the gain WAY down as well as the manual brightness and contrast controls - I have someplace I can adjust the picture to in the future! Really happy with how this turned out.
Now this is pinball!
que

Clockwork5

« Reply #4571 on: February 28, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
The lesbian girl i have been hooking up with gave me a blowjob last night.  She said it was her first.

:mouf

Im gonna fuck up and fall for this girl.  See you all in the struggle thread.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4572 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
bruh I don't think that a lesbian
每天生气

Clockwork5

« Reply #4573 on: February 28, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »

Yeah, if i hadn't known her for years I would question her sexuality too. But she has only dated girls, when she talks about her past its always girls, when I joke around with her about other boys she says "it wouldn't be a boy."

Either way, I don't really care.  As long as I get to keep showing her the beauty of the D, I'm all good.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Again, not really, Im getting serious feels for her but I guess that is bound to happen when you are hooking up with a friend you have had a crush on the entire time you have known them.  Im in trouble.
[close]

Corporal

« Reply #4574 on: February 28, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
Hope it works out for ya, Clockwork.
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Jumper-EZbook-3-Pro-Laptop-Silver-390306.html
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Jumper-EZbook-3S-Laptop-N3450-391282.html

Huh. Tempting. They even have a shipping location in Germany.
Yah, that's the Lappy. Pretty dang neat for the price. We got it off gearbest since they sold them for 215-odd Eurodullards and also shipped from Germany during their recent sales (when do these HK stores not have sales...).

I gotta say, for that price I'm pretty happy.

Just got finished watching a guy open the thing up and installing a copper heatspreader on youtube. ...well, you need to do that if you want to crack the sub-15W thermal throttle. Go for that permanent 2.2 GHz Turboboost, aye. Which will probably obliterate your battery and burn through the desk once you start something demanding, but who cares.

Seriously, if I look at what kind of money and work some people are stuffing in that thing, I have to wonder why they didn't buy a more expensive Laptop in the first place.

:idont
!list

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #4576 on: February 28, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »

Yeah, if i hadn't known her for years I would question her sexuality too. But she has only dated girls, when she talks about her past its always girls, when I joke around with her about other boys she says "it wouldn't be a boy."

Either way, I don't really care.  As long as I get to keep showing her the beauty of the D, I'm all good.

Again, not really, Im getting serious feels for her but I guess that is bound to happen when you are hooking up with a friend you have had a crush on the entire time you have known them.  Im in trouble.
[close]

Yeah, this ain't gonna end well.

shosta

« Reply #4577 on: February 28, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
dunno, sounds like a happy ending to me
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4578 on: February 28, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »

[close]

Yeah, this ain't gonna end well.

He got a blowie, sounds like it already has.

edit: fuck off, Shost
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #4579 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »
Don't hate cuz you late
 :trumps
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4580 on: February 28, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »
I was trying to decide if blowie sounded funnier than beej.
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4581 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
Stop jumping ahead to what could maybe happen possibly some day, enjoy the present. Do you like her company? Operate from the good place and deal with whatever bridge you come to when you come to it. Don't listen to Nabbis. It could end wonderful.

jorma

« Reply #4582 on: February 28, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »
Stop jumping ahead to what could maybe happen possibly some day, enjoy the present. Do you like her company? Operate from the good place and deal with whatever bridge you come to when you come to it. Don't listen to Nabbis. It could end wonderful.

(she might be bi)

shosta

« Reply #4583 on: February 28, 2018, 03:05:37 PM »
enjoying your life in the present moment and treating people with respect and gratitude :rejoice

also toku posts :rejoice
每天生气

SmokyDave

« Reply #4584 on: February 28, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »
I was trying to decide if blowie sounded funnier than beej.
I’d take gobble over either. Maybe ‘he got noshed off’.

Clockwork5

« Reply #4585 on: February 28, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
Yeah I have a problem with getting ahead of myself in fledgling relationships. When we are together I am totally in the moment and it's great. It's when I get home I get a bit worried. Hopefully I can clear my head soon.

Either way, I'm digging the fuck out of her right now and having fun. She bought me a ticket to see Lorde and Run the Jewels on Saturday so for once I have something pretty cool to look forward to this weekend!

Tasty

« Reply #4586 on: February 28, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
I'm digging the fuck out of her

Smash cut: "One Week Later"

;)
[close]

shosta

« Reply #4587 on: February 28, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #4588 on: February 28, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »
So many things went right for me today that I almost became Catholic. Shortest version of the news is that I was expecting six months in jail and I got 1 day of work service instead because they dropped a charge. Can't exaggerate what this feels like. The closest thing is rebirth.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #4589 on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:15 PM »
So many things went right for me today that I almost became Catholic. Shortest version of the news is that I was expecting six months in jail and I got 1 day of work service instead because they dropped a charge. Can't exaggerate what this feels like. The closest thing is rebirth.

:thinking

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4590 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:20 PM »

bless up
but don't forget how it could be
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4591 on: February 28, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
Need more info

Raist

« Reply #4592 on: March 01, 2018, 01:23:42 AM »
Didn't he get a charge for DUI not long ago?

shosta

« Reply #4593 on: March 01, 2018, 01:39:03 AM »
With bodily injury. Got the injury charge dropped. Finally ended a terrifying chapter of my life.
每天生气

Raist

« Reply #4594 on: March 01, 2018, 01:42:13 AM »
I really hope it scared you enough (both hurting someone and the potential jail time) to STOP FUCKING DRIVING AFTER DRINKING.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4595 on: March 01, 2018, 01:42:42 AM »
DUI

:wag

One of the most stupid things you can do

shosta

« Reply #4596 on: March 01, 2018, 01:44:26 AM »
I was stuck in a thought loop for an entire month that I should either be dead or in jail for murder. Anyway, obviously I've brought this up a few times, but I've been completely sober for like 8 months now. Lesson was learned in the deepest existential way.
每天生气

Raist

« Reply #4597 on: March 01, 2018, 01:45:47 AM »
Good. Hope you're in touch with the victim too.

shosta

« Reply #4598 on: March 01, 2018, 01:46:56 AM »
Nobody's been in touch with the victim because she was probably an undocumented immigrant (yeah, now I've got that on my conscience, too), which is the reason the charge was dropped. But aside from that, there wasn't really an injury. It was just tacked on by the police.
每天生气

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4599 on: March 01, 2018, 01:52:24 AM »
Its ok man, I've had trouble with alcohol too. Luckily I worked out some issues somewhat and the abuse stopped. But I guess it will always be there around the corner.

Tasty

« Reply #4600 on: March 01, 2018, 02:16:40 AM »
I figured it was a DUI. I think there's a couple people here that have gotten that.

I'm glad you personally beat jail time Shosta, but I also feel like you're getting off light considering the charges. (Edit- If the bodily harm really was a BS charge, I take that back.) But, this is the triumph thread, so I won't rain on your parade.

Really happy to hear you're eight months sober. That's the real triumph. :)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4601 on: March 01, 2018, 02:29:57 AM »

What prevented you from becoming Catholic? Do you still believe in the naive notion that condoms don’t cause AIDS?
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4602 on: March 01, 2018, 04:09:57 AM »
Netbook nostalgia:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/modding-a-netbook.99408/#post-1494873
:derp
:reeeee
I can see modding a netbook with a number of things, but that work looks like a train accident.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4604 on: March 01, 2018, 05:47:44 AM »
DUI

:wag

One of the most stupid things you can do
It's not the Butter Creamer way.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #4605 on: March 01, 2018, 07:55:23 AM »
Got a new patient with multiple problems(i need to accumulate a certain amount of procedures) and booked him right after vacation week. Hopefully he won't change his mind and run away  :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4606 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
:derp
:reeeee
I can see modding a netbook with a number of things, but that work looks like a train accident.
Yeah, it's pretty sloppy. That soldering on the last picture. :kobeyuck
It's the first example (with working images) I found that exemplified the kind of extensive modding. I have seen much cleaner work, though it always looks like they'd have trouble squeezing the enclosure shut again.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4607 on: March 01, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
I was stuck in a thought loop for an entire month that I should either be dead or in jail for murder. Anyway, obviously I've brought this up a few times, but I've been completely sober for like 8 months now. Lesson was learned in the deepest existential way.
Proud of you! You're a cool dude.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4608 on: March 01, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »
I'd rather play a Pinball machine than play Overwatch, that's for sure
Why are you being all passive aggressive?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4609 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:15 PM »
I'd rather play a Pinball machine than play Overwatch, that's for sure
Why are you being all passive aggressive?

Its not personal, Dufus is a Blizzard troll

You will see

TVC15

« Reply #4610 on: March 01, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
I’m watching Little Otto for the weekend. For reference, this guy (old pic):

Hopefully I’ll get some good pics.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4611 on: March 01, 2018, 11:54:10 PM »
king

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #4612 on: March 02, 2018, 07:14:20 AM »

Rebuilt the flippers
Replaced the balls

As an example:

One Ultimarc amp later:

How many boards you got? I went to a pinball tourney last week and the guy had 25-30 machines in his garage, which seemed like it could have needed it's own generator to support so many machines at once.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4613 on: March 02, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »
I have 6 games and a Hyperspin MAME cocktail table.

Firepower
Baby Pac Man
The Simpsons
Hurricane
Who Dunnit
Star Wars: Episode I

I'm currently restoring Firepower.

And yeah, I'd take 30 pinball machines, sure.  I'd find a way.
rub

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4614 on: March 03, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »
I bought a decently collectible/rare revolver last year. I got a great deal on it and I assumed it was because the front sight was aftermarket. I was talking to someone today about it and they informed me that it is a special order front sight from the factory that actually makes my revolver even more rare and desirable. At this point it’s the crown jewel of my collection so to find out that it actually is even more special made my day!

TVC15

« Reply #4615 on: March 03, 2018, 08:12:21 PM »
I bought a decently collectible/rare revolver last year. I got a great deal on it and I assumed it was because the front sight was aftermarket. I was talking to someone today about it and they informed me that it is a special order front sight from the factory that actually makes my revolver even more rare and desirable. At this point it’s the crown jewel of my collection so to find out that it actually is even more special made my day!

Pic plz. I love revolvers.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #4616 on: March 03, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »

Pic plz. I love revolvers.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4617 on: March 03, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »

TVC15

« Reply #4618 on: March 03, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »
serge

Mupepe

• Icon