Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 797883 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #4740 on: April 07, 2018, 12:09:27 AM »
Huh, I just got two really really good interviews for next week. When it rains, it pours. If i land either of these, I’m making decent cocaine money.
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4741 on: April 07, 2018, 02:16:36 AM »
That feeling when someone that doesn't report to you thinks they have a better in with their boss than you and says, "Well, if this is what it's going to be like go ahead and have my boss fire me. I don't care."
And you say, "Very well. I can make that happen."
And you see the panic in their face.

American workplaces sound like such utter shitholes it's not even funny. Ok, it's a bit funny  :lol
A little job security and a decent union seems to go a long way to make people a bit more chill at work.

It's esp. weird in "at-will" employment states like California, where theoretically they can terminate anyone at any moment for any reason, but the state is also so litigious that a tremendous amount of cover-your-ass stuff is in play: multiple, documented warnings, non-sue agreements for severance packages (which I've been told will not hold up in court), etc.

TVC15

« Reply #4742 on: April 10, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
First interview went great. At this rate, Shtost is going to end up being the Oja Kodar to my Orson Welles, sucking baked beans out of my pubes.

serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4743 on: April 11, 2018, 12:15:23 AM »
  • met with accountant, lowered my stress level
  • visited doctor, got meds for sinus infection and new allergy meds
  • found ¥10,000 in an envelope I'd forgotten to previously open
  • used it to pay for a friend's dinner
  • got a solid night of sleep for the first time in 3 weeks

archnemesis

« Reply #4744 on: April 13, 2018, 07:20:54 AM »
Today I fixed a pair of shades that broke more than a decade ago. It took the optician less than a minute to fix them and he charged me nothing for the trouble.

SmokyDave

« Reply #4745 on: April 14, 2018, 08:20:25 AM »
I just found my 35 year old copy of ‘Ferrari 250 GTO 1962-1964; Competition berlinetta’ by David Clarke, whilst cleaning out my mum’s loft for her. It was one of the first books I cherished as a child, but it’s been lost to me since my reckless teens.

Got home and have the house to myself. Celebrated by watching this at the sort of volume that causes long term hearing damage. Mmm hmm.

- 64 GTO lovingly manhandled by Derek Hill.

It’s going to be a good day.

SmokyDave

« Reply #4746 on: April 14, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
Turning these good vibes into more good vibes by taking a shit ton of baby and child things to the local women’s refuge. I was going to sell them but I’m doing OK for myself.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4747 on: April 14, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
Got a new tat.

Got taxmoney back.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #4748 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:30 PM »
I saved a mama duck and her ~10 babies from getting trampled by Captain Phasma and her squad of stormtroopers
WDW

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4749 on: April 18, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »
Thats some dream

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #4750 on: April 21, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
so on a whim i applied for a job because the role sounded interesting even though i'm not qualified for it (and that's reflected by the fact the salary plus benefits makes the package 50% more than my current one). i got called for an interview with a senior vp and turns out he liked me so much he's verbally made me an offer for more than the salary advertised and is making hr fast track getting the paperwork over to me. if the offer in writing is what he says it is i am saying yes in a heartbeat

i got the job! currently chilling on garden leave and officially start at the end of the month as soon as my notice period run downs  :D only downside was that the first day off of work i got vertigo from being apparently too stressed to suddenly not stressed at all =/

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4751 on: April 21, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »
Got a check for $1K+ from one of my freelance jobs. Just need to keep on doing more freelance work and I'll make back all that money I lost to taxes.  :doge
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:27:21 PM by Atramental »

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #4752 on: April 22, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
Got a check for $1K+ from one of my freelance jobs. Just need to keep on doing more freelance work and I'll make back all that money I lost to taxes.  :doge

Don’t forget to pay taxes on this
dur

EVOL

« Reply #4753 on: April 23, 2018, 07:50:05 AM »
Hit 1000 plays on Soundcloud

:rejoice

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4754 on: April 24, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
Cashed this check in yesterday ...state taxes ate all of it yesterday as well...

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4755 on: April 29, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »
Officiated a friend's wedding today.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4756 on: May 03, 2018, 11:42:36 PM »
Got an email today saying I failed to meet Ph.D. candidacy 3 days ago.  Emailed my supervisor in a panic and he replayed within 10 mins saying he'll extend it for another year.  Feels good. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4757 on: May 04, 2018, 12:12:27 AM »
wtf, why did they do that to you? Not making enough progress on thesis? congrats on the extension  :doge
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #4758 on: May 04, 2018, 12:20:10 AM »
Got an email today saying I failed to meet Ph.D. candidacy 3 days ago.  Emailed my supervisor in a panic and he replayed within 10 mins saying he'll extend it for another year.  Feels good. 

You’ll always be my special lil Bore angel. I wish you were around more, but if you were you’d probably just be wasting your life.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4759 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:53 AM »
wtf, why did they do that to you? Not making enough progress on thesis? congrats on the extension  :doge

It just means I'm behind on the Ph.D. timeline - which I knew about.  Its kind of bullshit because I did't get my masters on time by a term and so they double counted that term against both my masters and ph.d.  So its like 'O i see you are behind.  Guess I'm going to move your next milestone 4 months  sooner'. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4760 on: May 04, 2018, 01:00:09 AM »
Dig, if you will the picture:

Client decides to outsource their operations of their large IT systems to one of the large Indian bodyshop firms (I know, it's 2018, didn't they get the memo? This never works)
Team from the bodyshop firm proceeds to find an issue that could derail my company critical project spanning millions of dollars on April 5th. They leave it unfixed for a month, and don't tell anyone.
Yesterday they come out and say, "Oh, yeah there's this  issue. And it's pretty big."
Since it could impact a massive project, yesterday was spent with 3 managers and 2 directors in a room trying to find out what the impact is
It comes out that they knew about it since April. Tried to fix for a day, then were like "Oh well." When they couldn't fix it and didn't tell anyone.
Finally they send some screens of what was happening and the whole leadership team sees it. The first thing I said was, "Hrmm....I'm not a DBA but I'd say that looks like partitioning issue. But you said you sent it to your DBA and they didn't find anything. And really, if I, a non-technical, non-DBA am saying it looks like a partition after a few seconds of looking at it, I'm sure that your DBA saying it's not is more trustworthy.....But let's have a different DBA check just to be sure."
"Puppy, you're wasting time and resources. That's not the issue."
"I know. But humor me."

Bodyfirm team: "Great news everyone! We found and fixed the issue!"
"What fixed it?"
"Uh...stuff."
Find out from the DBA we assigned to look at it, that it was a partioning issue.
So here the bodyshop firm is with the below:
- They knew of an issue that could impact a critical project
- They didn't tell anyone  about it for a month
- When it was discovered they couldn't tell the impact
 - When it was communicated to the team the potential cause was called out in seconds by a non-technical resource
- Issue was fixed in an hour after a competent DBA looked at it agreed with the assessment from the non-technical resource. An assessment that they scoffed at when it was brought up.

Now you'd think this would be bad enough..

But wait! There's more!

Apparently Bodyshop inc. had a general team meeting last night, where they stressed how they could not be seen to blame for this huge stream of failure, but that they should blame it on the client's operations manager and my team and escalate. Not only did they discuss this with their general team, they also put it in an email with detailed steps on how they were going to frame the operations manager as incompetent to their VP, amongst other ordinary day to day subjects.

This morning the client's Operations manager sends an email to an employee from the Bodyshop for an update on a daily status on an unrelated subject. Said employee says, "Oh yeah, we discussed that last night. Let me forward you the meeting summary." And they promptly sent the summary which had the detailed steps on how to blame the client's operations manager to...well, the client's operations manager. So the client's operations manager calls his boss and tells him what he's found, his boss calls the VP directly. There's a meeting tomorrow to discuss.

This fuckery is on a whole other level. And I have a front row seat :delicious
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4761 on: May 04, 2018, 02:49:57 AM »
Dig, if you will the picture:
(…)
This fuckery is on a whole other level. And I have a front row seat :delicious

Snoopycat_

« Reply #4762 on: May 04, 2018, 07:48:34 AM »
The Sasha and Digweed Renaissance collection I bought on Ebay arrived this morning. The kids are away this weekend, so I might get a couple of pills and see if the wife fancies a trip back to the 90s

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4763 on: May 04, 2018, 04:13:28 PM »
Had a really productive morning on my day off, scrubbed some doors / walls, did the whole bathroom clean thang, cleared my roof/gutters, went along all my utility lines and cleared out dead branches (live in the forest, breh), hopped on the motorcycle, emptied the PO box, filled my belly at the local market, and I’m now cold chillin with the vape cart I bought on the way home patting my own back with a run on sentence while roomba makes me look even better

Spring cleanin :rejoice

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4764 on: May 05, 2018, 05:13:19 AM »

It just means I'm behind on the Ph.D. timeline - which I knew about.  Its kind of bullshit because I did't get my masters on time by a term and so they double counted that term against both my masters and ph.d.  So its like 'O i see you are behind.  Guess I'm going to move your next milestone 4 months  sooner'.

Ph.D. timeline

Lolz.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #4765 on: May 10, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »
Got a $300 pair of headphones (Sony WH1000XM2) for free due to a shipping fuckup.

:rejoice

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4766 on: May 16, 2018, 07:27:27 PM »
honeymoon/1 year anniversary vacation starts tomorrow. :rejoice

all inclusive beach resort :lawd

delicious mexican seafood and drinks :mouf

i'll post some pics upon return

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4767 on: May 17, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »
Hit a weight on the scale I haven’t seen since 2013 :rejoice
Had the same thing a few weeks ago, but it was in the wrong direction

:fbm

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4768 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
honeymoon/1 year anniversary vacation starts tomorrow. :rejoice

all inclusive beach resort :lawd

delicious mexican seafood and drinks :mouf

i'll post some pics upon return
Take us with you

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4769 on: May 17, 2018, 11:13:02 PM »

I hope these get sized right. Doing this on mobile is tricky.
rub

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4770 on: May 18, 2018, 12:03:57 AM »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4771 on: May 18, 2018, 12:04:52 AM »
I want that steak
rub

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4772 on: May 18, 2018, 01:35:22 AM »
nacho, you earned that tag.

SmokyDave

« Reply #4773 on: May 18, 2018, 05:35:12 AM »
I waited all day on Sunday to watch the sports car race at the Monaco Historic GP. On the formation lap, a stray cat and a fucking pigeon flew into my house and started fighting in my living room. Fucking bird smashed my light fitting. Missed the race whilst I slew the beasts and cleaned up all the glass. Fucking dicks.

Edi: how the fuck did I post this in the opposite thread?!

Ah well, my triumph for today is that my daughter referred to our cat as a ‘useless lump of freshly laid horse poo’. She’s only four, it fucking cracked me up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:53:45 AM by SmokyDave »

SmokyDave

« Reply #4774 on: May 18, 2018, 06:51:42 AM »
a stray cat and a fucking pigeon flew into my house and started fighting in my living room

:rofl
Dude, pigeons are WAY BIGGER when they’re flying around a room at head height. I’ve had to kill a wounded pigeon or two in my life and it’s never bothered me, but that pterodactyl looking motherfucker divebombing me in my favourite armchair was stressy as fuck. Didn’t help that I was mashed.

The cat also took a sizeable chunk out of my hand. Little cunt.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4775 on: May 18, 2018, 11:41:56 PM »
Work and my dating life sucks right now but at least I got some weeeeed today.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4776 on: May 19, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »
Successfully knotted some fools vacuum cord and got away with it. 

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4777 on: May 20, 2018, 01:17:58 AM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4778 on: May 21, 2018, 06:25:40 PM »
last night: sake margarita, seaweed and asian pear salad, teriyaki wings with radish sauce, all kinds of sushi including one with braised beef and one with ceviche on top, and strawberry and rice cake sushi dessert roll

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4779 on: May 21, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »
last one: chocolate dome stuffed with mascarpone, drizzled with chai syrup

https://imgur.com/a/qAu4Wlx

:mouf

Tasty

« Reply #4780 on: May 21, 2018, 11:02:57 PM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4781 on: May 21, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
Good luck homie

Tasty

« Reply #4782 on: May 21, 2018, 11:05:44 PM »
Good luck homie

Thanks! Taking it slow right now but it's just crazy uplifting and exciting. The past month has actually been pretty shitty for me otherwise lol.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #4783 on: May 21, 2018, 11:47:38 PM »
My new managed network setup only crashed a few times tonight. A vast improvement over the last few days, where shit was so broken that every connected router/switch had to be factory reset every hour. I felt like I was babysitting a newborn with a knife in its hand. 10gig networks over copper are a fickle bitch! I also had to drop my own coax line over my third story apartment to the tap this weekend. I made myself my own contractor so I could get the sign off on fixing the connection I've been suffering with for years. Also got my SNR (DOCSIS 3.1 is a pain) cleaned up in the process too! So now I wait for the gods of Xfinity to come out and check the line and give me the modem update so I can finally have a multi-gig connection.

I'll take it as a win for today. Tomorrow it's wifi, time to get my mesh on! Updating this whole bitch so everything is colored ready. No more lollygagger N devices holding back my signals. That shit is getting its own separate isolated network.

Great news Tasty Meat, I wish you all the best with your potential prospects.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I went for a second technical interview last friday with the other G. Aced the interview, but failed to meet their prerequisite for a junior position due to lack of education. I have what it takes technically, but because I don't have the money to afford proper schooling I can't be part of their company, same with a lot of the tech companies around here sadly. FML, at least it's progress in a direction.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:18:58 AM by G The Resurrected »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4784 on: May 22, 2018, 12:13:28 AM »
nintendo   8)

Tasty

« Reply #4785 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:24 AM »
nintendo   8)

You didn't hear it from me, but Bubsy's gonna be in the next Smash game. :shh

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4786 on: May 22, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
nintendo   8)

once you're an insider. link me up with alison rapp, so i too can cum to be an insideher  8)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #4787 on: May 22, 2018, 07:45:44 AM »
so my new employer has sent me to Dubai so i can meet some of the senior leadership. they forgot to check that it's ramadan and people only show up for like 4 hours, do nothing then leave for a nap and eat all night once the sun is down. i'm loving it and have eaten so many burgers

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4788 on: May 22, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
last night: sake margarita, seaweed and asian pear salad, teriyaki wings with radish sauce, all kinds of sushi including one with braised beef and one with ceviche on top, and strawberry and rice cake sushi dessert roll

last one: chocolate dome stuffed with mascarpone, drizzled with chai syrup

https://imgur.com/a/qAu4Wlx

:mouf

too pretentious for my taste :batman

Easy, Satan.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4789 on: May 22, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
nintendo   8)

Tasty Meat is our new Uncle!
rub

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #4790 on: May 22, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
so my new employer has sent me to Dubai so i can meet some of the senior leadership. they forgot to check that it's ramadan and people only show up for like 4 hours, do nothing then leave for a nap and eat all night once the sun is down. i'm loving it and have eaten so many burgers

Oh yeah, its cool when you do it.
i'm fasting too, much easier than the uk since the days are shorter and everywhere is air conditioned so you don't get as thirsty

Tasty

« Reply #4791 on: May 22, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
nintendo   8)

Tasty Meat is our new Uncle!

That's right, Uncle Tasty is here. :phil

Now bend over :shaq

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4792 on: May 23, 2018, 02:16:39 AM »
Was a temp agency yesterday for an interview, at the end the girl that interviewed me was like "I got to ask" , "is that that a star wars tattoo?", "yeah", "wow thats so cool".

:respect

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4793 on: May 23, 2018, 02:17:08 AM »
Bought a new phone, Oneplus 6.

Hot Slice

« Reply #4794 on: May 23, 2018, 04:30:09 AM »
I made a new, IRL friend who is into Sonic and she isn't creepy about it and likes drawing shit too.

Tasty

« Reply #4795 on: May 23, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
Bought a new phone, Oneplus 6.

Specs-wise that phone looks guuuuuuud (camera aside), but I dunno about "Oxygen OS."

At least it's launching with Treble. :dunno

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4796 on: May 23, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
too pretentious for my taste :batman
presentation was definitely pretentious, but it was still delicious

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4797 on: May 23, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »
to get weed and taco bell