Author Topic: 2017: Unpopular opinions thread  (Read 111374 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: 2017: Unpopular opinions thread
« Reply #540 on: March 10, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
I thought Peter Jackson's King Kong was good. I also liked all The Hobbit movies.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »
Wrong thread
ὕβρις

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #542 on: March 10, 2017, 05:35:05 PM »
I thought Peter Jackson's King Kong was good. I also liked all The Hobbit movies.

I agree. They're good entertainment if you don't go in expecting some grand philosophical experience.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #543 on: March 10, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
I like king Kong and the first hobbit movie. 2nd was ok. 3rd I just wanted it to end.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #544 on: March 10, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
Kong wasn't bad. The thing with the hobbit trilogy was that after the first movie most people were like "that wasn't great but not bad. It'll get better." By the end everyone was surprised the first one was the best one
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
Kong wasn't bad. The thing with the hobbit trilogy was that after the first movie most people were like "that wasn't great but not bad. It'll get better." By the end everyone was surprised the first one was the best one

I actually liked all three Hobbit films, but only the second time around.

King Kong I liked the first time, too. I think it's misunderstood.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #546 on: March 11, 2017, 12:55:57 AM »
Dont quite think it's the same, as a dude if one of my exes shares dick pics, I cant give a fuck nobody is looking to see that anyway, as a chick, everybody is looking to see that. Male nudity is mostly looked at as humorous outside a relationship setting while female nudity is seen as sexual. Right or wrong, that's the state of shit currently.
Dick pics are gross

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #547 on: March 11, 2017, 01:53:42 AM »
Peter Jackson's King Kong is OK but it drags on way too long.
ὕβρις

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
Mass Effect was never really all that great of a game. I think people mainly like it because it had great graphics and it was their first real bioware game. I'm not saying they're bad. I just don't think they're so special to have such a following :doge
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #549 on: March 16, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
I liked the Mass Effect games because they eased my KOTOR cravings.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #550 on: March 16, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »
Taking inventory is an exciting break from routine!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #551 on: March 16, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »
Mass Effect was never really all that great of a game. I think people mainly like it because it had great graphics and it was their first real bioware game. I'm not saying they're bad. I just don't think they're so special to have such a following :doge

First one sucked and turned me off the series, I hear the next entries are better and may eventually give them a shot

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #552 on: March 16, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »
ME2 and ME3 simply play well and promise narrative reactivity (some of which they make good on), but I think the fan following is a result of their character writing (schlock, but tasty schlock (#teamscientistsalarian)), which has allowed them to keep in people's good graces despite their story telling faults. It's also the reason they started to pander more to fanfiction types going from ME to ME2. People really liked Garrus and Tali, so now in the sequel, you can work toward an awkwardly animated sex scene with them, too, despite the biological concerns exhaustively detailed in the first game. :ryker

As far as fidelity goes, they've struggled to keep up starting with DA:O (which was in dev hell for some time). Some of which is owed to the genre, certainly. There's simply more fully voiced dialogue to animate, which only becomes more difficult as time goes on and general fidelity increases. On the 360 and PS3, the wooden and constantly looping animations could be explained with memory constraints, but Andromeda's jank seems to stem from misguided corner cutting or time pressures. Compare it against Witcher 3, an older game, no less, and it's obvious they're faltering in a pretty crucial area for the character driven games they make.

First one sucked and turned me off the series, I hear the next entries are better and may eventually give them a shot
ME2 streamlined a lot of things, so there's a good chance. ME3 is more of the same.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #553 on: March 16, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »
I personally think ME1 is better than 2. It seems more of a cohesive whole whereas with 2 you could totally tell different studios were in charge of different episodes. I didn't get that feel from 1.
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #554 on: March 16, 2017, 06:38:32 PM »
Episodes? You mean mission to mission? Thane's stood out to me as far as production value is concerned. Incidentally also the one they showed at E3 and such. Ahem.

I like ME1 more too, but ME2 was obviously the better (and better received) blend of cover-shooting RPG. They threw out and cut down a lot of things I enjoyed about the first, but I suppose it cut down their work load as well so they could focus on what worked. /shrug Oh well. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #555 on: March 16, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »
Yeah I meant missions. In ME2 it just felt they were sorta independent and disjointed and unaware of things that might/might not be going on. So you definitely got the feeling throughout that they made the beginning and the end and then they just had independent teams go out and do build their own missions as they saw fit.
que

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #556 on: March 16, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »
2 is a heist movie, which are fairly disjointed unless they jerk off to the heist itself for the majority of the story.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #557 on: March 16, 2017, 07:32:38 PM »
Yeah I meant missions. In ME2 it just felt they were sorta independent and disjointed and unaware of things that might/might not be going on. So you definitely got the feeling throughout that they made the beginning and the end and then they just had independent teams go out and do build their own missions as they saw fit.
Yeah, there are like a handful of main plot related missions, so I can definitely see that. Intro, attack on the colony, getting the mcguffin to go through the relay (which you can do at a time of your choosing once it unlocks), the hamfistedly introduced crisis before the finale (which still pisses me off, one funny line notwithstanding) and then the finale itself. Very much bookending the whole recruitment portion.

The majority are recruitment and loyalty missions, plus DLCs and minor side missions found through planet scanning, which easily adds up to two or three dozen missions not directly concerned with the main plot.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #558 on: March 16, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
Taking inventory is an exciting break from routine!
Are you talking about at work, or a personal inventory?

At my old job, the year-end cleaning was my favorite day. It was the one day where we could see the results of our efforts immediately, and had every single person working diligently toward a common goal.
:rejoice

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #559 on: March 16, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »
Work -- I pretty much just like counting stuff :doge

bluemax

« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2017, 12:20:09 AM »
ME 2 is weird because you're suddenly working for the bad guys and you don't ever really stop to question it because lulz greater good.
NO

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #561 on: March 17, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
They handwave away a lot of outlandish stuff in that game. It worked, but still...

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #562 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »

I liked driving around with the rover in Mass Effect. There's an unpopular opinion for ya.
^_^

Trurl

« Reply #563 on: March 17, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
Bernie Sanders got Trump elected.
Maybe his supporters did.  Am I crazy or was the 2016 Democratic primary not especially mean from the pov of the candidates?

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #564 on: March 17, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
40% of the country didn't vote because of Bernie Sanders.

Kara

« Reply #565 on: March 17, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »
The point was that your opinion assumes the existence of a Pareto-optimal election when there's little (if any) evidence of that.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #566 on: March 17, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
Dems will complain of left wing defections in any election they lose, while ignoring the cause of these defections: the party's attempts to be the home of both labor and capital. If they even acknowledge this contradiction in their own base, the answer is to find a messianic figure like Obama who can paper over these differences, ignoring that by design these figures only come around once in a very long time.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #567 on: March 17, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
We never left The Great Recession/The Great Depression 2
🍆🍆

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #568 on: March 17, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
I was pointing out to some friends that house prices in my area as now back to what they were when the housing crisis started, some are even higher. But wages are also still the same.
que

Rahxephon91

« Reply #569 on: March 17, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
I just want to chime in on Mass Effect. I've never been a huge fan.

Mass Effect 1 is the best one, if only because it feels like a complete package. The story has a clear begining, middle, and end. Yet, I never thought it did much with it's story. The interesting thing to me is the political and survival story of man making its way in the galaxy with a villain who simply mistrusts man for obvious racial reasons. I liked when it was more grounded. Then the reapers are introduced and I lose interest.

The gunplay was always wonky. I never felt the choices actually really matted. If Wrex dies who cares? He dosen't really impact the story. The enviorments were lame as well. Everything was like a space mall or just barren ground.

2 was ok even if the story in the end feels irrelevant. They did'nt make the worlds explorable, instead going ahead with more detailed smaller environments. Omega was cool, but I still believe making a smaller game is'nt what I wanted.

3 is pretty meh even without the ending. The reapers are lame and thier motivation stupid. Angling the whole story on a organics vs inorganic never felt well organic. Plus, I always felt they were boring sci-fi cliche. Side quests design and presentation took a back seat in 3. You just stumble on a few of them and a few are just straight up horde missions. The new characters are lame and seem even less interactive and irrelevant than 1 and 2. Some story developments like those with Cerberus just feel unsatisfying.

etiolate

« Reply #570 on: March 17, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »
George Takei is the biggest shitposter on the internet.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #571 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »
But what about Kamiya?

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #572 on: March 17, 2017, 09:18:41 PM »
We need to allow doctors/providers more freedom to make the call that we shouldn't do everything to save everyone.
dur

bluemax

« Reply #573 on: March 17, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
I was pointing out to some friends that house prices in my area as now back to what they were when the housing crisis started, some are even higher. But wages are also still the same.

I was walking my dog around the neighborhood and saw a house for sale. Checked the price and it was definitely pre-crash price for the area. Not that houses in my neighborhood are affordable to begin with :(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I remember one house before the crash that was about $1.2mm and "fell" to $900k. The house I saw this past weekend was at $1.2mm
[close]
NO

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #574 on: March 18, 2017, 01:30:51 AM »
We need to allow doctors/providers more freedom to make the call that we shouldn't do everything to save everyone.

Hmm. After tonight's shift and the shitty decisions and lack of common sense used, I am less certain
dur

etiolate

« Reply #575 on: March 18, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
But what about Kamiya?

Kamiya tries hard for the crown, but Takei has global social media coverage. Kamiya is like Rachel Ray show level and Takei is Oprah and Ellen combined.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #576 on: March 21, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
Elaborate.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
To make room for more bonobos

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #578 on: March 21, 2017, 11:22:52 PM »
OK. Yeah.

Acceptable.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
I don't get the love for Musuo games and their sequels. They're fun for like an hour or so but it just feels like "Hey! Go over there and fight 100 guys!" then 2 minutes later "Oh you need to go fight these 100 guys here now. Run!"  rinse and repeat. Then the sequels are like "Hey! Go over there and fight these 100 guys again! With Slightly better graphics....maybe." A fun rental at best.
que

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #580 on: March 22, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
Parents who raised kids with the idea they are flawless princes and princesses have created young adults who are unable listen to the smallest criticism and are constantly looking to affirm their "specialness" to the point they are eagerly self-diagnosing disabilities.

Boom.
rub

Kara

« Reply #581 on: March 22, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
Parents who raised kids with the idea they are flawless princes and princesses have created young adults who are unable listen to the smallest criticism and are constantly looking to affirm their "specialness" to the point they are eagerly self-diagnosing disabilities.

Boom.

This is a popular opinion.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »

Boom.

This is a popular opinion.
Maybe Zomgee was raised as a flawless prince and doesn't know it :hitler
que

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
 :trigger :trigger :trigger :trigger :trigger
rub

Kara

« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2017, 06:19:30 PM »
You can't be raised to be something you already are (flawless). :-*

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #585 on: March 22, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
West Coast 10x> Least Coast.

This is truth, but unpopular in the east.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »

East Coasters will happily tell you how much better they are. And professional. While attending someone else's professional party. On the West Coast.

I was all, "C'mon, son."

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #587 on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

East Coasters will happily tell you how much better they are. And professional. While attending someone else's professional party. On the West Coast.

I was all, "C'mon, son."
LOL professional, it's gotten to the point where I will avoid working on east coast projects just because east coast people tend to be really aggressive combined with incompetent. I could to take either, but both together? No thanks.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #588 on: March 23, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »
When I was working at Northrop Grumman I worked on some projects with west coast folks, they were always impressed with how hard us NYers busted ass.
^_^

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #589 on: March 23, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Destiny is one the best FPSs there is

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #590 on: March 23, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »
the west coast is a nice vacation but it's filled with too many gay ass happy ppl for my taste

Also by "west coast" i obviously mean LA and kind of SF a little still, the rest is just desert and meth

etiolate

« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
You haven't been north of SF I see. Russian River valley is camping and winerys, with a coastline of steep cliffs. The meth falls away once you get past Modesto and it just becomes mountain man smoke weed everyday land.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2017, 10:53:21 PM »
It only got mean after Sanders was basically eliminated and decided to go scorched-earth to raise his odds of winning from 0% to 0%.

.... Sure. If you ignore the DNC and prestige press's (NYT, WaPo) campaign of character assassination and rigging of the "internal electoral market" via Debbie Wasserman Schultz et al. throughout, and prior to, the primary.
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #593 on: March 23, 2017, 11:48:26 PM »
When I was working at Northrop Grumman I worked on some projects with west coast folks, they were always impressed with how hard us NYers busted ass.

I'm not saying you guys don't work hard, I'm saying I'm sick of the East Coast "West Coasters are lazy" routine. You can say you work hard without diminishing others' efforts. You want to show me how hard you work, there's a space for you under my desk.  :-*

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #594 on: March 24, 2017, 02:29:34 PM »
I once joked with someone whom I mentor that east coast people feel they only work hard if they can make other people feel like they work less than east coast people. It was joke...at the time...

Another unpopular opinion: California should secede.
que

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #595 on: March 24, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »
If California bailed on the nation, no one would give a fuck this time. Half the people would be like, "see ya wouldn't wanna be ya" and the other half would be clinging to their ankles begging to go with them, like a toddler at daycare.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #596 on: March 27, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »
Fox still makes better Marvel movies than Marvel (although they have much lower lows)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #597 on: March 27, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »
Yup that's pretty unpopular

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #598 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
Fox still makes better Marvel movies than Marvel (although they have much lower lows)
wow, I think the only more unpopular opinion on this would be to say that DC movies were better than Marvel.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #599 on: March 27, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »
Last gen was the worst gen for gaming since the pre-NES days
^_^