Author Topic: 2017: Unpopular opinions thread  (Read 111370 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: 2017: Unpopular opinions thread
« Reply #720 on: June 21, 2017, 01:18:38 PM »
Here's a controversial one:

The Princess Bride is painfully average.
You know what? You're actually sorta right about that when I come to think of it. The fencing was cool but I can get why you'd feel that way.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #721 on: June 24, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
The Killing Joke wasn't even that good a book. Of course the movie didn't work. Don't get the hype. Must be nerdy fanbois salivating to those pictures
que

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #722 on: June 24, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
There are no cool dinosaurs.

There's nothing cool about a group of animals that mostly look like oversized featherless birds.

You keep to outdoing yourself, truly the WOAT.

clearly not an unpopular opinion in 2017

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #723 on: June 24, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »
FF6 sounds great until you actually play it.

Stat progression tied to espers  :donot

Everyone essentially becoming a mage thanks to espers being tied to stat progression  :donot

14 characters but only 4 actually matter  :donot

Having to regather characters during the second half of the game  :donot

Forcing you to use characters you wouldn't bother with at various points in the game  :donot

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #724 on: June 24, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
The Killing Joke wasn't even that good a book. Of course the movie didn't work. Don't get the hype. Must be nerdy fanbois salivating to those pictures
I dont think anyone in my comic circle (there are lots) has anything but revulsion for Bruce Timm's killing joke. Cant say this is unpopular.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #725 on: June 24, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »

It never was. Alan Moore himself never thought highly of it either, and considering how smug he can be about his other work that should tell you something. It just has some choice quotes, cool moments, and a pretty cool(and debatable) ending.

Plus the art is nice but also stiff and lifeless at points (but that's an opinion I have with much of Bolland work, even and especially on his iconic Dredd runs).
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #726 on: June 24, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
FF6 sounds great until you actually play it.

Stat progression tied to espers  :donot

Everyone essentially becoming a mage thanks to espers being tied to stat progression  :donot

14 characters but only 4 actually matter  :donot

Having to regather characters during the second half of the game  :donot

Forcing you to use characters you wouldn't bother with at various points in the game  :donot

DISLIKE FUCK YOU BUDDY
pcp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #727 on: June 25, 2017, 09:56:40 AM »
Assassins Creed is one of those games I just never picked up for whatever reason, so the first one I played was the pirate one for free as a games with gold game -- didn't get very far until I decided it was stupid as fuck

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #728 on: June 25, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
Black Flag was the best since 1 & 2 though!!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #729 on: June 25, 2017, 10:02:37 AM »
Guess I can safely write off the series then  :snob

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #730 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
It's time to put Ace Attorney to bed. The games are just overly long now and every case has to tie into a semi-convoluted backstory.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #731 on: June 25, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »
Agreed, trials and tribulations was a great ending for the series. They should either let it die or start a whole new series.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #732 on: June 26, 2017, 01:50:40 AM »
I dont think anyone in my comic circle (there are lots) has anything but revulsion for Bruce Timm's killing joke. Cant say this is unpopular.

Just to be clear, Puppy is talking about Moore's work, and Momo means the animated adaptation, right?

Was the book originally supposed to be part of the main DC continuity, or is that just something that got worked in after-the-fact?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #733 on: June 26, 2017, 01:52:53 AM »
Assassin's Creed as a series stifles the creativity of it's development team, the settings they choose and videogames in general. It takes cool ideas and locations we either haven't seen before or haven't see in a while turning them into the same checklist open world, automated gameplay you've played since 2007. It should have stopped with the revised history aspect after Ezio's last game and went with Desmond as a lead in a pseudo futuristic modern world like it was clearly aiming for as a finale.

Assassin's Creed Origins would be my most anticipated game ever if it wasn't more AssCreed garbage. People asking for feudal era Japan or any other interesting setting for the series should instead hope for new IP's to take advantage of it.
Yeah. 100%. It was surprising to me that Watchdogs became this story about privacy and social networking, when it clearly could have been the adaptation of Desmond's near-future, high-tech and parkour game that you and I both thought was coming.

Instead, I thank my lucky stars: WD1 was a pretty good game, and WD2 recognizes the full potential of the setting. If it had been saddled with AC plot trappings, it would have been a fucking slog.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #734 on: June 26, 2017, 02:07:34 AM »
they should have made another game with altair, still my favorite setting they've done

Oblivion

« Reply #735 on: June 26, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »
I do not like the art style of Super Mario Odyssey, which, up until E3, was not an unpopular opinion.  :doge

Oblivion

« Reply #736 on: June 26, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »
I do not like the art style of Super Mario Odyssey, which, up until E3, was not an unpopular opinion.  :doge

Is it just the realistic human characters in that one zone? Or do you mean the entire game?

Mostly the realistic human characters and New Donk City in general. At least, at first. The more I look at other levels though, some are also a bit questionable. Like that forest level. The grass and trees seem to clash a bit as well, imo.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #737 on: June 26, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »

Just to be clear, Puppy is talking about Moore's work, and Momo means the animated adaptation, right?

Was the book originally supposed to be part of the main DC continuity, or is that just something that got worked in after-the-fact?
The book was originally pitched to Moore to do his own version of an origin story for The Joker as a one shot. But it was so popular and it arguably rescued the Barbara character from being cast aside even though Moore now thinks that was the worst part of it and doesn't think it was ever any good. (Bolland was the reason it was even done, Moore did it as a favor, and even Bolland didn't like the finished book.)

Which it isn't really, and I never understood how it became the definitive Joker story, there are many better Joker stories. Legends of the Dark Knight when it was an anthology series where the issues weren't necessarily canon did a lot of really fun issues imo and rarely gets mentioned in Batman comics talk. Even the earlier stuff that's supposed to be semi-canon that's set after Year One but while Bruce is still becoming Batman is good stuff too. They later did another series like that and I think they did an e-comic series too.

There's a Booster Gold issue where he tries to go back in time and save Barbara. That was a great series. For the second Justice League movie, Snyder should just use the JLI characters plus Batman. You need the heavy guns for Darkseid, not chumps like Cyborg or Superman.

Wait, none of these are unpopular opinions.

benjipwns

« Reply #738 on: June 26, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
The only two times Darkseid was plausibly defeated were both by Batman. :ufup

benjipwns

« Reply #739 on: June 26, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »
It even holds up animated :lawd

Also, "gotcha."

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #740 on: June 26, 2017, 11:59:07 AM »
The only two times Darkseid was plausibly defeated were both by Batman. :ufup

prep time :lawd

BTW, my introduction to Booster Gold was him and Blue Beetle getting their asses kicked by Doomsday in the Death of Superman arc, I was like "lol, who is this jamoke?" But later, I rediscovered him during his post-Infinite Crisis series, and I really loved it, and went back and read the old JLI run, and even the early-2000 revival, where they formed the Super Buddies, which made Wonder Woman killing Max Lord after he murdered Blue Beetle really awkward. Also there's a really good episode of Justice League Unlimited, where he's forced to do street-level work while the "real" Justice League fights Trigon or something, and he ends up saving the world anyway but everyone thinks he's Green Lantern. :lol
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:10:52 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #741 on: June 26, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »
whew andre braugher darkseid the only darkseid as good as michael ironside darkseid

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2017, 12:45:25 PM »
Super Buddies was one of the best things that DC ever did. Netflix series please.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:39:38 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #743 on: June 27, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »
whew andre braugher darkseid the only darkseid as good as michael ironside darkseid

Oh, shit. I had NO IDEA. Now I want to see Darkseid animated dubs with Captain Holt's dialog inserted.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #744 on: July 08, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »
Step off the moonshine

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #745 on: July 16, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
The best that can be said about the sonic series as a whole is that the first 3 games were very important and not bad.
que

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #746 on: July 19, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
Soup is subpar.  All of it.

etiolate

« Reply #747 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:57 PM »
I will cut you.

Tasty

« Reply #748 on: July 19, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #749 on: July 19, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »
Soup is subpar.  All of it.
Thank goodness you have other traits that make you a cool person.
Soup is the best. :lawd

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #750 on: July 19, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »
Ok let me amend that. Top Ramen/Maruchan is the only soup that qualifies as delicious.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #751 on: August 16, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »
Ok let me amend that. Top Ramen/Maruchan is the only soup that qualifies as delicious.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #752 on: August 16, 2017, 11:37:01 PM »
I like soups with fat in em

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #753 on: August 21, 2017, 02:28:47 AM »
I think Penn Jilette is pretty smart, so I don't understand how he can be a libertarian.

Oblivion

« Reply #754 on: August 21, 2017, 02:30:48 AM »

My man.  :respect

What flavor?

Oblivion

« Reply #755 on: August 21, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »
Top Ramen? Like just the poverty tier instant ramen?

That's the one! :rejoice

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #756 on: August 21, 2017, 05:57:03 AM »
How dare you call instant noodles "ramen". The wapanese inside me is screaming.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #757 on: August 21, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »

My man.  :respect

What flavor?
Half Spicy Beef and Half Spicy chicken.  sm3sogood.gif

hampster

« Reply #758 on: August 21, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
The bombcast has lead me to believe showering in the dark is not popular but I find that impossible because dark showers are amazing

A long hot dark shower in the dead of winter is one of life's finest pleasures
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:15:55 AM by hampster »
Zzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #759 on: August 21, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »
How dare you call instant noodles "ramen". The wapanese inside me is screaming.

As much as I find his unpopular opinion irredeemably unpopular, he's referring to a brand from Nissin in the USA. Most Americans think "ramen" are those fried noodles awaiting rehydration, with MSG-based soup. I've had to convince a few people that it's not what I'm suggesting we eat for lunch when we tour Osaka. Once they have the real deal, it's an amazing transformation to behold.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #760 on: August 21, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
I hope that doesn't come off as ramensplaining.

benjipwns

« Reply #761 on: August 21, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
Instant ramen is one of those foods with the greatest performance gaps I know. I want the cheap American effort free level like Maruchan or we're going to start talking stuff where I can't read the flavor because there's no English on the package and the clerk can't help because they don't really speak English either. But there's a whole array of in between level stuff that is usually just the worst that tries to tempt you with this whole facade of "we found the secret key to making this worth 25 cents instead of 20 that Maruchan hasn't!" and it's always garbage.

Blew a roommates mind in college when I added my own spices (and a chopped green onion) to Maruchan once and he was like "I didn't know you could do that!" And I was like...why couldn't you, it's just a packet of spices not magic dust. (Or is it?)

Had also figured one time it was going to be cheaper to buy the twelve pack and not use the flavoring packs than buy just actual noodles (that I wanted) and those would probably not be worth the price premium. It was a Wal-Mart so general selection was limited. Worked out great, except for the whole part where I had twelve Chicken flavor packages. Had I known about the later roommate I should have saved them and dared him to use all of them with one package of ramen.

Here's an actual unpopular opinion, I sometimes like to actually strain out most of the broth with some of the flavors. Especially if I have toppings to mix in. Like the shrimp flavor I hated as broth for a long time, too potent, no idea if it's changed.

benjipwns

« Reply #762 on: August 21, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »
Most Americans think "ramen" are those fried noodles awaiting rehydration, with MSG-based soup.
i wish, it's just salt not real delicious MSG

especially not for twenty cents, Maruchan isn't made of money buddy! :bolo

Oblivion

« Reply #763 on: August 22, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »
Just bought 3 cups of beef flavored maruchan ramen. :rejoice

Haters annihilated.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #764 on: August 22, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
Instant ramen is one of those foods with the greatest performance gaps I know. I want the cheap American effort free level like Maruchan or we're going to start talking stuff where I can't read the flavor because there's no English on the package and the clerk can't help because they don't really speak English either. But there's a whole array of in between level stuff that is usually just the worst that tries to tempt you with this whole facade of "we found the secret key to making this worth 25 cents instead of 20 that Maruchan hasn't!" and it's always garbage.

Blew a roommates mind in college when I added my own spices (and a chopped green onion) to Maruchan once and he was like "I didn't know you could do that!" And I was like...why couldn't you, it's just a packet of spices not magic dust. (Or is it?)

Had also figured one time it was going to be cheaper to buy the twelve pack and not use the flavoring packs than buy just actual noodles (that I wanted) and those would probably not be worth the price premium. It was a Wal-Mart so general selection was limited. Worked out great, except for the whole part where I had twelve Chicken flavor packages. Had I known about the later roommate I should have saved them and dared him to use all of them with one package of ramen.

Here's an actual unpopular opinion, I sometimes like to actually strain out most of the broth with some of the flavors. Especially if I have toppings to mix in. Like the shrimp flavor I hated as broth for a long time, too potent, no idea if it's changed.
Regarding the bolded, I do this as well with certain flavors.

Oblivion

« Reply #765 on: August 23, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
Wait, I fucked up. The instant beef flavored ramen has corn in it and tastes like crap.   :fbm

I meant to get the shrimp flavored one, which actually uses beef tallow and tastes more like beef than the beef flavored one for some reason.  :doge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #766 on: August 23, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »
The beef flavor is only good as a mixer.  Chicken by itself = :drool  Beef by iself = :yuck  Beef + Chicken = :drool

Getting any of the spicy versions is an instant stat boost.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #767 on: August 23, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »
Top Ramen? Like just the poverty tier instant ramen?

That's the one! :rejoice

(Image removed from quote.)

Vastly superior. Meat not included though.

gold standard of ramen

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #768 on: September 03, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
The majority of Republicans are subhuman.
I wouldn't say sub human, but I would say a majority of republicans lack basic mental faculties
que

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #769 on: September 05, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »
Living an unhealthy lifestyle bring more joy moment to moment in life.

Himu

« Reply #770 on: September 05, 2017, 02:59:14 AM »
Every "real ramen" I've had is bad or mediocre and I'd rather have instant. :yeshrug

Also pho is way better than ramen. :idont
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #771 on: September 05, 2017, 03:03:25 AM »

What I do is drain the water and then sprinkle the package on the ramen and the let the spices sit on the ramen. Then they sink into the ramens interior and the noodles get dark and then I mix it in. Way delicious.

Also :lol @ "I didn't know you could do that!"
IYKYK

jorma

« Reply #772 on: September 05, 2017, 03:10:12 AM »
Every "real ramen" I've had is bad or mediocre and I'd rather have instant. :yeshrug

This sounds nearly as deranged as my own "instant mashed potatoes" preference over freshly mashed taters.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #773 on: September 05, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »
When I finish eating the noodles I like to dump  tortilla chips in the leftover ramen juices and let them soak for a bit then eat them with a fork
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #774 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »

Also pho is way better than ramen. :idont

This is like saying meatball subs are better than pizza. Or, more commonly, apples are better than oranges.

FatalT

« Reply #775 on: September 11, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »

What I do is drain the water and then sprinkle the package on the ramen and the let the spices sit on the ramen. Then they sink into the ramens interior and the noodles get dark and then I mix it in. Way delicious.

Also :lol @ "I didn't know you could do that!"

I thought that was how you were supposed to make Instant Ramen. Are you supposed to leave the water in there with the powder packet to make a broth? I always pictured Ramen noodles as just that, noodles. No broth.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #776 on: September 11, 2017, 06:25:18 PM »
Sonic CD US soundtrack >>>>> Sonic CD JP soundtrack
^_^

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #777 on: September 11, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »
Why can't I jerk off in public?

nudemacusers

« Reply #778 on: September 11, 2017, 06:37:36 PM »
Why can't I jerk off in public?
Please repost in the "tiny questions" thread.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #779 on: September 11, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
People who are Facebook and Twitter misery-exhibitioning the 16th anniversary of their feeling shocked and sad on 9/11 lack significance in their own lives.