Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070770 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #2100 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »
I watched the first episode of Twin Peaks recently.  What's different in the International Pilot?  The pilot was pretty damn awesome.  Ominous and creepy with a lot of intrigue.  How out there does this show get?

It gets pretty far out there.

I thought that the international pilot actually revealed the killer, but he was an entirely different manifestation than in the TV series...?
I haven't had a chance to get to the second episode but what do you mean manifestation?  What kind of out there does it get?  Like a soap opera, stephen king movie or like Lost?  I'm okay with all 3 kinds actually!

I've still been watching Ugly Betty.  I can't believe I neglected this show for so long.  It's hilarious and awesome.  I love how self aware it is and how much it actually acts like a soap opera.  whole story arcs are finished in single episodes.  I love that.  It moves so fast.

Like a David Lynch movie. There's a bunch of very odd mysticism which gets rolled out over the course of the series. You're making me want to watch it again, just dredging up what I can remember. There was a version of Twin Peaks which was meant to stand alone as a two hour movie. The killer just turns out to be a guy who works at the hospital. In the series, it turns out to be significantly more complex. Lost Highway is actually pretty similar, if you think about the way it turns out.
Ah I see. 

Well I'm two episodes from the end of season 1.  I'll finish it tonight.  So far I fucking love this show.  It's so laid back and witty.  But i found that I have to be in a certain mood to watch it (much like David Lynch movies).  But man it's so good so far.

Is the 2nd season as good?  How about the movie?

Himu

« Reply #2101 on: March 09, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
gonna watch ugly betty on netflix
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2102 on: March 09, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
gonna watch ugly betty on netflix
:bow Himu :bow2

I'm just about to finish up season 4.  It's a really great show.  totally self aware.  distinguished mentally-challenged, out there plot lines.  It has everything.  murder, mystery, cheeseburgers, corporate espionage, gays and even people coming back from the dead :o

« Reply #2103 on: March 09, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
I remember watching Twin Peaks with my parents when it aired on ABC. I should really go back and rewatch it as an adult.

Because it sucked?

i am going to kill you

But it did suck. It lacked the low-budget charm of the original, and the hosts were terrible.
野球

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2104 on: March 12, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
Fringe just took a turn to the AWESOMELY INSANE! holy shit!
Drunk

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2105 on: March 12, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
Veronica Mars is on Netflix
should i watch?
nat

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2106 on: March 12, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
1st season is one of the best of TV ever....it does fall off hard after that though.
___

cool breeze

« Reply #2107 on: March 12, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
Veronica Mars is on Netflix
should i watch?

I'm going through it now (still season 1) and it's good stuff.

Only thing that's kinda grating is the roulette romance stuff going on.  I feel like this show might have been on the upn, cw, wb, or one of those channels for teenage girls.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2108 on: March 12, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
it was :teehee

etiolate

« Reply #2109 on: March 13, 2011, 07:38:30 AM »
I was diggin trailer park boys, but I've hit a roadblock with season six.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2110 on: March 13, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
i watched the first three episodes of Veronica Mars. seems alright. not a fan of the romance stuff.
nat

cool breeze

« Reply #2111 on: March 13, 2011, 05:55:26 PM »
haha this is totally the kid from Kazaam

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2112 on: March 13, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
yup. he also played the same character in Crank.

this show has totally made me appreciate Kristen Bell. She's so pretty.
nat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2113 on: March 14, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »
Watched the first two episodes of The West Wing. Some of "teh witty DC dialogue" is kinda annoying but it seems like a good show. Second ep has quite a big event at the end so I'll probably finish the season.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2114 on: March 14, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
I've been watching a few British mysteries the past few weeks:

Hercule Poirot - Evil Under the Sun

Haven't quite finished it just yet, but it's really, really good. It's well-shot and well-made, with fine acting all around and exceptional acting from David Suchet as Poroit. I've found that I really like the more eccentric detectives [such as Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, and so on], rather than some of the more realistic portrayals of detecting. This is one is nice for the setting as well, an isolated island hotel, which crams all the various characters into a relatively small location and aren't allowed to leave. You really can't go wrong with this, or any of the Hercule Poirot mysteries from the past twenty years.

Murder Must Advertise

Lord Peter Wimsey mystery miniseries from book series by Dorothy L. Sayers. Wimsey is a bit like Sherlock Holmes, only much worse. He is, at time, very serious and at other times, particularly when he doesn't want to let on how much he knows, very flippant and even condescending. He's fun to watch though and this mystery, centered around dope peddling, is pretty good. It's flimed a bit small and has only a few outside shots across 4 hour-long episodes and the 30's British lingo is hard to follow at times [especially when some of the characters talk very quickly], but none of those things are enough to not recommend it to someone that likes British mystery.

A Taste for Death

Inspector Dalgliesh miniseries from the book series by P. D. James. This has been my least favorite of the three. It feels much slower paced and is packed full of characters, so it's a bit dull at times and also somewhat hard to follow. The series is also much more serious and Dalgliesh is much more normal and far less prone to eccentricities. It's all more realistic and dramatic, packed full of characters with twisted motives and lots of secrets. Not a bad miniseries, it's got its moments and story is intriguing at times, but I tend to enjoy the ones that are more fun to watch.
dog

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #2115 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:36 PM »
Watched the first two episodes of The West Wing. Some of "teh witty DC dialogue" is kinda annoying but it seems like a good show. Second ep has quite a big event at the end so I'll probably finish the season.

You've never watched West Wing?

It would go on my all time to 10 favourite shows list.  Well, seasons 1-4, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:19:12 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Himu

« Reply #2116 on: March 15, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »
On season 3 of That 70's Show.

Finishing up Ugly Betty s1 which is AMAZINGLY fabulous.

Watching Addam's Family original.

Andddddd started some Trailer Park Boys.

Still need to finish BSG, but this part I'm at in season 3 is so boring. God, not a love triangle.

Gonna start Jersey Shore after I finish season 3 of That 70's Show.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:52:06 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2117 on: March 15, 2011, 12:56:53 AM »
Jersey Shore is pretty bad this season. It's never been some great show or whatever, but it was entertaining for the first two seasons. This one's momentum is constantly sucked out by two characters and their stupid relationship bullshit.

in short: way too much Ronnie/Sam, not enough MVP

[youtube=560,345]CjVkplphsBU[/youtube]
:bow

etiolate

« Reply #2118 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
I've been nursing a toothache by watching Doc Martin. The two seem to be a perfect pairing.

« Reply #2119 on: March 15, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »
One episode of Big Love left... really wondering how they're going to wrap this up... if they even bother.
野球

« Reply #2120 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
Carlos is amazing.

I watched it last year on Sundance. Really good show.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2121 on: March 18, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »
I watched the first episode of Twin Peaks recently.  What's different in the International Pilot?  The pilot was pretty damn awesome.  Ominous and creepy with a lot of intrigue.  How out there does this show get?

I thought that the international pilot actually revealed the killer, but he was an entirely different manifestation than in the TV series...?
I haven't had a chance to get to the second episode but what do you mean manifestation?  What kind of out there does it get?  Like a soap opera, stephen king movie or like Lost?  I'm okay with all 3 kinds actually!

I've still been watching Ugly Betty.  I can't believe I neglected this show for so long.  It's hilarious and awesome.  I love how self aware it is and how much it actually acts like a soap opera.  whole story arcs are finished in single episodes.  I love that.  It moves so fast.

Like a David Lynch movie. There's a bunch of very odd mysticism which gets rolled out over the course of the series. You're making me want to watch it again, just dredging up what I can remember. There was a version of Twin Peaks which was meant to stand alone as a two hour movie. The killer just turns out to be a guy who works at the hospital. In the series, it turns out to be significantly more complex. Lost Highway is actually pretty similar, if you think about the way it turns out.
Ah I see. 

Well I'm two episodes from the end of season 1.  I'll finish it tonight.  So far I fucking love this show.  It's so laid back and witty.  But i found that I have to be in a certain mood to watch it (much like David Lynch movies).  But man it's so good so far.

I can't remember where the division happened between S1 and S2. The show loses a lot of impact after the killer is revealed. There are also some really weird side stories that I didn't care for at the time, which I'd probably just appreciate as Lynch-isms on a re-watch.

The movie was quite good. It's really strange, but I liked it. The only thing I really disliked was Lara Flynn-Boyle deciding she was too big to work for Lynch, who basically made her career up to that point. I can admit to being petty enough that I was happy to see her career tank afterward.

Beezy

« Reply #2122 on: March 18, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »
Finally started Mad Men. Don Draper is a cool dude.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2123 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
NBC announced it will be renewing three of its top comedies through the 2011-12 television season.
The Office, heading into its eighth season, will be in for a major shake up with Steve Carell leaving the show at the end of this season. While it’s unclear who will be replacing him, Will Ferrell will be guest starring.
Parks and Recreation, starring Amy Poehler and Rob Lowe, will be returning for its fourth season.
Lowe had been rumored to be a possible candidate to replace Charlie Sheen, but CBS denied this.
Critical darling Community, starring Joel McHale, also was renewed for a third season. Josh Holloway, best known as Sawyer from Lost, will guest star during this year’s finale.

Very happy about parks and rec. My favorite comedy on tv currently.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2124 on: March 18, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
Parks and Rec. is definitely fantastic. Last nights episode was amazing. White people and their fear of curses.
:9

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2125 on: March 19, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
i think i am falling in love with kristen bell. guys
nat

Diunx

« Reply #2126 on: March 19, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
Took you long enough.
Drunk

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2127 on: March 19, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
i think i am falling in love with kristen bell. guys

watch all her interviews with Craig Ferguson on youtube, see's so awesome in person
___

Himu

« Reply #2128 on: March 19, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
Ugly Betty

On season 3 now and while I really like the show there is zero character development or progression. Characters do stupid inane shit that makes no sense, particularly Betty. She'll have an ep dedicated to how she's maturing and then in the next episode she drops her balls, rips out any sort of spine she has and turns into a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

Still, great show. I just can't stand Betty, she is a little dumb and lacking in street smarts for a Latina born and raised in Queens NY. Fuck.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2129 on: March 19, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
Been going through Bones lately. Never watched it before. Love the chemistry between Bones and Booth, it really carries the show.

Don't like some of the science sometimes being CSIy, but I can look past that.
___

etiolate

« Reply #2130 on: March 19, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
EB should like Carlos

there's a lot of penis shown

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #2131 on: March 19, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
Sure there's a lot of wang, but who cares.  I see at least one per day.

:wag

I'm boycotting products from your sweatshop winery.

Diunx

« Reply #2132 on: March 19, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
How many times do you guys thing William Bell have masturbated since possessing Olivia's body?
Drunk

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2133 on: March 19, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
finished up Veronica Mars season 1. a++ show. wraps up the story really well. kristen bell is lovely.

sooo should i even bother with season 2 and 3?

edit: further thoughts:

i think the show's writing and plot are what makes it so great. there's a lot of layers at work that all fall into place as the season goes on. what i really liked was that the "stand-alone" episodes still mattered to the overall plot. especially when specific characters returned to move the main plot forward. one could possibly fault the show for being 22 episodes long, tho. if it was tightened up and made 12 I could see it still being just as good. focusing more on the lilly kane murder than the peripheral stuff (like the kid who got framed trying to blow up the school for example). i will admit myself that even when the show had low points it was worth watching for kristen bell  :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat it's too bad she never really went on to do much else besides a few movies here and there. i guess a show on upn doesnt really add much to your hollywood cred.
still. great show. glad i watched it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:23:55 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2134 on: March 19, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
You watch Deadwood, fistful? I think its Season 2 that has a teenage Kristen Bell. Up your alley :teehee
:9

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2135 on: March 19, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »
been meaning to watch it. i've had the first four episodes from netflix for like a month now
nat

cool breeze

« Reply #2136 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:11 PM »
I finished up Season 1 of Veronica Mars the other day and went on to a few episodes of Season 2.

First I should say that Season 1 was really good.  I liked it a lot.  The cases in each episode were nice, and the ongoing plot kept it interesting when they weren't.  And yeah, before watching this I always rolled my eyes when I saw people fancasting Kristin Bell in everything, but now it's like, yeah, she was really damn charming as Veronica.

Right away Season 2 isn't as interesting because the inciting incident for the ongoing plot is kinda lame.  They also haven't forgotten the story from Season 1; you have three stories (that week's case, the s2 ongoing on, and the continuation of s1) that are only connected by Veronica at this point.  The writing and characters don't feel as sharp as they did in the first season, and Veronica's character and style changed slightly to be less rebellious.  So far the best part about it is more Dick Casablancas.  A step down, but it's still fun to watch.

also, kind of annoyed that Netflix has bunched up the entire series as one thing.  I can't individually rate each season /whitewhine

etiolate

« Reply #2137 on: March 20, 2011, 01:26:32 AM »
Dick is the only redeeming part of s2 and s3.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2138 on: March 20, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
why is michael cera in this show  :maf
nat

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2139 on: March 20, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
Series Finale Of Big Love: otherwise known as WTF did I just watch?!

:maf  :'(
(|)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2140 on: March 21, 2011, 12:06:51 AM »
ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck. one episode left in season 2.
gonna wait until tomorrow night
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2141 on: March 21, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »
all told - i watched 38 episodes of veronica mars over the weekend.

nat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2142 on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »

This is worse than the weekend Steve Carell described in the beginning of The 40-Year-Old Virgin.
AMC

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2143 on: March 21, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
 :(

i would call it a productive weekend
nat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2144 on: March 21, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
News Radio rocked.

I had a huge crush on maura tierney.

« Reply #2145 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »

The creators are on Fresh Air (NPR) right now talking about it. I guess Paxton wasn't very happy about
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bill dying.
[close]
野球

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2146 on: March 21, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »
I'll give a plug for The Life and Times of Tim which I think is a very funny show no one talks about. Season 3 comes on this fall on hbo.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2147 on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »

The creators are on Fresh Air (NPR) right now talking about it. I guess Paxton wasn't very happy about
Bill dying.
[close]

Probably makes no sense because it's my thoughts spewing out on a quick lunch break but:

Maybe they were going for the "Whoa didnt see that coming!!" aspect but really? Getting shot over a sod job? ??? I guess they figured everybody wouldnt be surprised if Alby killed him. But still, have Nikki's crazy mom kill him or something. The fuckin neighbor? Really?

It was a better alternative to him serving jail time (plus I already have one of my shows dealing with the exact same statutory rape/possible prison sentence scenario - Californication) but they could've pulled off his death way differently and way better.
[close]
(|)

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2148 on: March 21, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »
Dick Casablancas?  Really?  Huh.  He never stood out to me.  I like Logan a lot though.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2149 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
Ugly Betty

On season 3 now and while I really like the show there is zero character development or progression. Characters do stupid inane shit that makes no sense, particularly Betty. She'll have an ep dedicated to how she's maturing and then in the next episode she drops her balls, rips out any sort of spine she has and turns into a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

Still, great show. I just can't stand Betty, she is a little dumb and lacking in street smarts for a Latina born and raised in Queens NY. Fuck.
Of course there's no character development!  It's a soap opera!  plot lines are written on a whim to do nothing but further the story no matter how ridiculous.  I'm glad there's no character development.  I told my wife (during the thanksgiving episode where it's mentioned that his mom thinks Amanda is his gf) that we would eventually see an episode with Mark confronting his homophobic mother and saying "you need to accept me like I am, mother" with sappy music playing.  It had to happen but I'm thankful it lasted one episode, was never mentioned again and it in no way changed his relationship with Betty even though they shared a life changing special moment.  That's why I love the show.  There are no real consequences.  People are coming back from the dead left and right!

Ah I see. 

I can't remember where the division happened between S1 and S2. The show loses a lot of impact after the killer is revealed. There are also some really weird side stories that I didn't care for at the time, which I'd probably just appreciate as Lynch-isms on a re-watch.

The movie was quite good. It's really strange, but I liked it. The only thing I really disliked was Lara Flynn-Boyle deciding she was too big to work for Lynch, who basically made her career up to that point. I can admit to being petty enough that I was happy to see her career tank afterward.
She's not in the movie?  What does the movie cover really?  Is it a shorter telling of the story or something?  Or just a finish?  I'm going to start season 2 in a few days. 

Modern Family
I just watched the first disc but man it reminds me of arrested development so much.  It's fantastic so far.  I love it.

« Reply #2150 on: March 21, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
I really like Modern Family, it's one of the few comedies I watch. I also think it's the only show on ABC I like, aside from Wipeout.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2151 on: March 21, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »
Sofia Vergara is painfully hot
Fuck yeah.  Those tits :drool

I really like Modern Family, it's one of the few comedies I watch. I also think it's the only show on ABC I like, aside from Wipeout.
It's probably the only currently running show that I'll keep up with weekly after I catch up.  I heard rumblings about cancellation earlier.  Is that true?  I'll be pissed.  Everytime I jump on a show it dies.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2152 on: March 21, 2011, 07:21:29 PM »
finished up season 2 of Veronica Mars. satisfying ending. enjoyed season 2 overall.
gonna wait until this weekend to burn through season 3
nat

etiolate

« Reply #2153 on: March 21, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »
I thought the s2 ending was laughably bad and made no sense. If you can stomach that then you'll enjoy the third season.

cool breeze

« Reply #2154 on: March 21, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »

38 episodes at roughly 38 minutes (minus intro+credits) is about a full day of watching without sleep  :bow2

Dick Casablancas?  Really?  Huh.  He never stood out to me.  I like Logan a lot though.

Have you seen Party Down? The actor that played Dick basically played a nicer version of the same character.  I think of Kyle when when I see him on screen.  Plus, for a guy coaxing his brother into raping a girl, it's hilarious how shameless and likable he is.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2155 on: March 21, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »

38 episodes at roughly 38 minutes (minus intro+credits) is about a full day of watching without sleep  :bow2

42 minutes normally. so around 26.6 hours of veronica mars. good weekend.
nat

cool breeze

« Reply #2156 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
I thought it is 42 with credits and intro.  I usually skip those.  But that bit where Veronica says "We used to be friends, a long time ago" right before the intro was hilarious.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2157 on: March 21, 2011, 10:40:39 PM »
It's been a while, time to rewatch Futurama. I found the movies cheap at a pawn shop (1&2 on DVD for $5, 3&4 on Blu-Ray for $8) so I finally bought them. I've seen them before, but it'll be my first time watching Vol. 5.
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #2158 on: March 21, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
[youtube=560,345]__2EascPG5Y[/youtube]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2159 on: March 22, 2011, 04:27:52 AM »
I've been re-watching Lost. It feels like I haven't seen it in ages, probably because the last two seasons weren't what originally captivated me. I miss Lost the adventure/mystery show, and S1 does it so perfectly. It's also so obvious that the writers had no idea what they were building towards. I'm almost halfway done with S1 and can't help but SMH when some of the staples of the mythos appear. Just watched Solitary where the French chick is introduced for instance. She says her crew mates got "sick." Sure they got the aneurysms connected to time travel (lolz), but she also tells Sayid there's no such thing as monsters when in her S7 flashback she sees the damn smoke monster.

I forgot how they set Locke up early as a potential problem/villain. I remember wondering if he was a pedophile or some shit  :lol