Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070795 times)

Robo

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #3960 on: December 30, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/articles/exclusive-fx-president-explains-terriers-cancellat,48758/

“To the extent that I should have disagreed with the writer and said, ‘No, Terriers is a terrible title for the show, it should be called Beach Dicks,” [FX president John] Landgraf concludes, “the best I can do is the best I can do, which is to take that question seriously, and go out and seek an answer to it. Because if the answer is as simple as change Terriers to Beach Dicks and take the dog off the poster, and it’ll quadruple its audience, then I’m being dumb in not picking it up, especially since it’s such a good show. I did my best to answer that question, and unfortunately the answer was resoundingly no, that’s not likely to create a different outcome. Because for whatever reason—that’s disappointing and not entirely fathomable—people just don’t want to watch this show.”

Really shoulda called it Beach Dicks, though.
obo

etiolate

« Reply #3961 on: December 31, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
Are people really that faithful to procedurals that they won't watch a gumshoe show anymore?

I disagree about the name not having to do with the outcome. Nobody knew what the show really was except for a certain sect of tv viewers. It doesn't mean that they would keep watching it once they saw it, but I think a lot of would-be viewers never watched it because of the dog theme.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3962 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:30 AM »
Gumshoe shows are a lot harder to pitch these days. Veronica Mars, for all of its critical acclaim and even moving networks, didn't pull in a ton of viewers despite being a masterpiece of a show. Terriers had much the same issue, but I think it was also because of what the show was paired with as well as, in general, people having no clue the show existed. I didn't until halfway through this year.

Himu

« Reply #3963 on: December 31, 2011, 01:43:31 AM »
Tonight's Chuck was aight.

I can't believe it's almost over. :(
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #3964 on: December 31, 2011, 01:54:31 AM »
I knew Terriers existed, but I was a part of that perilously anecdotal subset of people who thought it was about two dudes dog-sitting up until a week or so before it was cancelled.
obo

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3965 on: December 31, 2011, 01:56:54 AM »
I dunno, for some reason I prefer Terriers over the other possibility. It's an interesting metaphor that I don't think was made clear enough.

etiolate

« Reply #3966 on: December 31, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »
for some reason I think Terriers works better as a title if the show had been a movie instead

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #3967 on: December 31, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
Started Downton Abbey, the ginger maid is HOT :drool she is the one playing Ygrette in GOT right?
Drunk

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #3968 on: December 31, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
watched all of season 2 of Bored to Death in one sitting.  amazing.
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3969 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »
i sure as fuck didn't watch terriers because despite a couple ads insisting otherwise, the name suggested to me that dogs were somehow a significant part of the show -- and fuck dogs and dog culture. now that i FINALLY know it's basically the big lebowski teevee series starring donal logue, i'm interested. :-(
duc

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #3970 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:57 PM »
I dunno, for some reason I prefer Terriers over the other possibility. It's an interesting metaphor that I don't think was made clear enough.

I don't think the names Terriers in itself is a problem.  This though?

Double U Tee EFF.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3971 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
Started Downton Abbey, the ginger maid is HOT :drool she is the one playing Ygrette in GOT right?

Mmm hmmm

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #3972 on: December 31, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
Wait, Terriers isn't a TV series expansion of the musical sketch from Kids in the Hall? That's disappointing.
QED

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3973 on: December 31, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
I just saw a full episode of Happy Endings for the first time. It's funny, I like it. Going to start watching it and The League(Which is amazing!) tonight.
I approve wholeheartedly. Happy Endings just gets better, and better, and better. I haven't watched a sitcom better itself so quickly so fast in a long time.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3974 on: December 31, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »
Max is probably the best gay on TV. I love him. :bow

Elisha Cuthbert, at least in season 2, gets surprisingly funny. She's such an underrated physical comedy actress.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3975 on: December 31, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
Zephyr if you are anything like Max we are already BFFs
I'm almost entirely like Max. Not as funny, but similar qualities.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3976 on: December 31, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
post a video from this show, preferably including this Max character

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3977 on: December 31, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »
Max is probably the best gay on TV. I love him. :bow

Elisha Cuthbert, at least in season 2, gets surprisingly funny. She's such an underrated physical comedy actress.

Actually, I think she got her start with physical comedy in her very first role in 24.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3978 on: December 31, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »

Diunx

« Reply #3979 on: December 31, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »
Just finished the first season of downton.

:bow PD :bow2
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3980 on: December 31, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
3 for 3 nukkas, respect the tastemakers :bow

cool breeze

« Reply #3981 on: January 01, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »
Charlie Brooker's 2011 Wipe was great

Later today, Sherlock series 2 :hyper

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3982 on: January 01, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

I'll have to check it out. He doesn't seem to be the stereotypical gay tv male character, ie super flamboyant and snapy or whatever. I just find it odd that in an attempt to increase diversity, many shows lack it in terms of the types of gay characters on television. It seems like characters like Kima or Omar from The Wire, or a certain character from Downton Abbey, are rare on television today; ie characters who are gay but are not hyper sexualized or something.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3983 on: January 01, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »

I'll have to check it out. He doesn't seem to be the stereotypical gay tv male character, ie super flamboyant and snapy or whatever. I just find it odd that in an attempt to increase diversity, many shows lack it in terms of the types of gay characters on television. It seems like characters like Kima or Omar from The Wire, or a certain character from Downton Abbey, are rare on television today; ie characters who are gay but are not hyper sexualized or something.
One of the things that they do well with Max is that they make him a mix. He has his stereotypical queen-y dramatic moments, but then he's also macho, masculine, drinks beer, loves football. He frequently makes references to gay sex, and so we know he's sexual. He'll also be getting a boyfriend in the new year as part of a multi-episode arc.

Arguably the best thing they do with Max is that everyone else in the group treats him normally, i.e., absolutely the same as everyone else in the group. I think that's the best attempt at gay character inclusion I've seen yet.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:54:05 PM by ZephyrFate »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3984 on: January 01, 2012, 08:02:47 PM »
I'm currently catassing Breaking Bad and I'm on the 2nd episode of the 2nd season.  Great show and addicting as hell.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3985 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:28 AM »
Watching Mad Men. lol @ the kid trying to watch January Jones pee. my man

Tucah

« Reply #3986 on: January 02, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
I have nothing else to watch at the moment so I decided (mostly because of the talk on the last page) to rewatch some Happy Endings. God I love this show, easily one of my favorite comedies on TV right now.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3987 on: January 02, 2012, 02:00:27 AM »
I have nothing else to watch at the moment so I decided (mostly because of the talk on the last page) to rewatch some Happy Endings. God I love this show, easily one of my favorite comedies on TV right now.

Can we be besties with Count Drugula? Let's do it.

As an aside, just got into Sons of Anarchy. S2 finale was WHOA WHAT THE FUCK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3988 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »

Really good show. The visual representation of Sherlock's observational skills is just perfect. I really do love it overall and next week is the hounds (my favorite Sherlock tale) so I'm looking forward to that. I wish the writers were better though (well i guess they cant keep up with Sir Arthur) as there are two suspense breaking, pulled out of ass moments that stand out (there are more actually but i don't want to nitpick)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's bullshit that Sherlock was just standing around waiting for the woman to stick him with that paralyzing drug. I mean what does he expect? She has no option but to incapacitate him so he turns his back on her? Right. Also she had a gun before and didn't even threaten him to get the phone back that her life depends on? Riiiiiiight. Point two, the passcode was SHER? Seriously? She had to set that code BEFORE she met Holmes so yeah, whatever
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3989 on: January 02, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
Just saw the new Sherlock and boy, did they get a budget.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3990 on: January 02, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
lol wrong thread
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:05:16 PM by Stoney Mason »

Diunx

« Reply #3991 on: January 02, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »
Sherlock was pretty great.
Drunk

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3992 on: January 02, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
Sherlock fucking owned.

Watching Terriers again with my roommate. Got him hooked. So we'll be done with the show by the weekend. :'(
AMC

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3993 on: January 02, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »
Sherlock fucking owned.

Watching Terriers again with my roommate. Got him hooked. So we'll be done with the show by the weekend. :'(
"So which way are we going?"

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

cool breeze

« Reply #3994 on: January 03, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
I started watching Terriers the other day.  It's pretty good.  Fourth episode was probably the best so far.

One thing that bugs me is how the wife and her fiancee seemingly met online.  I can't help but think that it was written before his actual character was created.  I don't know why it bothers me because it was just in the pilot.  I think it's the wife in general and how the main character reacts to her (stupidly).

and yeah, Sherlock was amazing.

etiolate

« Reply #3995 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
Sherlock was good. I think finding a good Watson is maybe more important than finding a good Sherlock, but this show looks to have both.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3996 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
Started watching Eastbound and Down and man April is so fucking hot. She's got the face of a hot chubby girl and the body of a fit hottie. The mixture gives me the weirdest boner.

Also making it through Series 6 Doctor Who and still really digging it. Unfortunately there hasn't been any real strong singular episodes like "Human Nature" and "The Impossible Planet" with Amelia and the new doctor.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:37:14 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3997 on: January 05, 2012, 02:13:35 AM »
Happy Endings was hi-fucking-larious tonight.

Himu

« Reply #3998 on: January 05, 2012, 02:15:07 AM »
Started watching Eastbound and Down and man April is so fucking hot. She's got the face of a hot chubby girl and the body of a fit hottie. The mixture gives me the weirdest boner.

Also making it through Series 6 Doctor Who and still really digging it. Unfortunately there hasn't been any real strong singular episodes like "Human Nature" and "The Impossible Planet" with Amelia and the new doctor.

I thought the first episode of the new Doctor was among the best "companion" stories I've seen.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #3999 on: January 05, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
Terriers is great.  Britt is awesome.

Netflix is awesome too.  Added it to my instant queue because of yous guys.  Started watching because of this:

fuckin a, algorithm.

Happy Endings was hi-fucking-larious tonight.

[img]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxb727dX3x1qazkdco1_r1_500.gif[/img

there was a new episode?

the show has the most irregular schedule.  hopefully it's on ondemand or hulu tomorrow.

Barry Egan

« Reply #4000 on: January 05, 2012, 04:16:05 AM »

Yes she is amazing.  Also, the first couple minutes of episode 6 is going to be the happiest moment of your life.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4001 on: January 05, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

Yes she is amazing.  Also, the first couple minutes of episode 6 is going to be the happiest moment of your life.

Too bad
those are stunt boobs
[close]
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4002 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »
I'm about to finish Sons of Anarchy Season 3.  Besides some stalling I don't get what most of the complaints were about (unless it falls apart towards the end).  It really pisses me off how no one seems to have any balls about obvious dipshits fucking them hard.  But watching it week to week probably would have pissed me off with all the stalling.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4003 on: January 05, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
I'm about to finish Sons of Anarchy Season 3.  Besides some stalling I don't get what most of the complaints were about (unless it falls apart towards the end).  It really pisses me off how no one seems to have any balls about obvious dipshits fucking them hard.  But watching it week to week probably would have pissed me off with all the stalling.

That's basically it.
AMC

Tucah

« Reply #4004 on: January 05, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Happy Endings was great last night, the Jane/Max stuff was hilarious.

I also loved the tagline to That's The Way It's Gotta Be (There's like...there's love...then there's, like, love. :lol)

Plus, I can't say no to some Ken Marino.

Oh and Eastbound and Down is great too, despite the enormous disappointment when
I found out those weren't actually April's boobs in the topless scene
[close]

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #4005 on: January 05, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
I can't wait to see where the whole Dave/Penny thing goes.

motherfu---

Haven't seen last night's episode.
Tonya

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4006 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
I watched some of Happy Endings last night because I was watching Modern Family. It has funny moments, but Jesus the dialogue is like Juno the tv series.
Bwuh? Not even close. Juno uses forced and fake nicknames and phrases no one would say. Happy Endings uses cultural references out the wazoo and fast-paced dialogue.

Favorite line from last night: "Get back here, you gay!!"

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4007 on: January 05, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
"get back here, you gay!" sounds like a forced line no one would say in real life.  But I've never seen the show so I can't really comment on the actual dialogue or context.  I'm just throwing my outside perspective in on that particular line.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4008 on: January 05, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
"get back here, you gay!" sounds like a forced line no one would say in real life.  But I've never seen the show so I can't really comment on the actual dialogue or context.  I'm just throwing my outside perspective in on that particular line.
It definitely fit the scene, especially Max's reaction to it. And I've actually heard people say that towards me  :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4009 on: January 05, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »
Downton Abbey.

I have the biggest crush on Anna :heart :heartbeat :heart

4 for 4 now :bow

Come on, more people need to watch this show.

Diunx

« Reply #4010 on: January 05, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »
Homeland is pretty awesome, I'm on episode 5.
Drunk

etiolate

« Reply #4011 on: January 05, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
yah the dialogue in happy endings turned me off as well

its like friends meets gilmore girls

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4012 on: January 05, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »
yah the dialogue in happy endings turned me off as well

its like friends meets gilmore girls
:lol ok

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4013 on: January 05, 2012, 09:03:31 PM »
i'll just say downton abbey is much higher on my to-watch list than happy endings
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4014 on: January 05, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Downton Abbey like Harry Potter for adults or something? I think I caught a bit of it on PBS and saw some chick getting moist knickers over some exotic dude. That's the extent of my Downton Abbey experience.
:9

cool breeze

« Reply #4015 on: January 05, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
episode 10 of Terriers is top tier.  show officially became fucking awesome.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4016 on: January 05, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »
If that's Sins of the Past, then yes. It's one of the best episodes of TV ever.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4017 on: January 05, 2012, 10:10:25 PM »
Terriers :rock
AMC

cool breeze

« Reply #4018 on: January 05, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »
If that's Sins of the Past, then yes. It's one of the best episodes of TV ever.

It's the one right before that.  I'll watch that (and finish it up, probably) tomorrow).

I really liked how
Hank was obsessed with the wedding until he got involved with the case.  The way his priorities changed throughout the episode was great.
[close]

and Donal Logue is transforming into Kris Kristofferson

Barry Egan

« Reply #4019 on: January 05, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »

Too bad
those are stunt
[close]
The Internet ruins everything  :'(