Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2071067 times)

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #7320 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »
I never thought I'd say this, but there's some really great camerawork in Spartacus WotD. And it's also decapitated head and shoulders above Vengeance. Plus Crassus is excellent.
:{]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #7321 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »
Larry David  :bow2

Tucah

« Reply #7322 on: July 20, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
I can't wait for the Larry David HBO movie in a couple of weeks, the cast is incredible.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #7323 on: July 20, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
I can't wait for the Larry David HBO movie in a couple of weeks, the cast is incredible.
I didn't know he was doing a movie! I am now very excited for this.
SRY

drew

• sy
« Reply #7324 on: July 21, 2013, 11:08:27 PM »
comedy bang! bang!

funny. really like it and you all should watch it.

Tucah

« Reply #7325 on: July 21, 2013, 11:27:37 PM »
comedy bang! bang!

Yep, very funny and unique show, I love its sense of humor. You listen to the podcast at all?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7326 on: July 21, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
marathoned orange is the new black today. pretty great show with a lot of great characters and interesting plotlines. the biggest problem with it tho is that the central character is the most boring vanilla person on the the cast by far, and everyone close to her (boyfriend & family) sucks too. still a great show tho.
pcp

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7327 on: July 22, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
Drunk History can be pretty funny though I feel really sorry for the PAs.  Two episodes and we've had 3 people puke thus far.
Tonya

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #7328 on: July 22, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »
comedy bang! bang!

Yep, very funny and unique show, I love its sense of humor. You listen to the podcast at all?

Listen to them all, love it.
brb

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7329 on: July 23, 2013, 01:58:02 AM »
marathoned orange is the new black today. pretty great show with a lot of great characters and interesting plotlines. the biggest problem with it tho is that the central character is the most boring vanilla person on the the cast by far, and everyone close to her (boyfriend & family) sucks too. still a great show tho.

I'll give a few episodes a try but I must admit I'm very skeptical. Jenji Kohan is heavily involved in this show and she was the creator/writer of Weeds which I thought was absolutely terrible. The trailer on Netflix reminded me a lot of that show unfortunately. But I'll give it a try.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7330 on: July 23, 2013, 02:26:49 AM »
the backstory episodes are better than the main character or her ongoing plot or anyone outside of the prison.

Himu

« Reply #7331 on: July 23, 2013, 02:39:42 AM »
why the fuck is everyone suggesting i watch orange is the new black because i'm a cheeseburger
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7332 on: July 23, 2013, 02:42:37 AM »
I see the last season of Spartacus isn't on netflix. Fucking stupid. Having the show up on netflix when the episodes air was why it became a hit to begin with, morons. No one watches starz willingly.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7333 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:20 AM »
why the fuck is everyone suggesting i watch orange is the new black because i'm a cheeseburger

Probably because of

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1209545/?ref_=tt_cl_t21

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7334 on: July 23, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Watched a couple of episodes last night. It's okay. So far it seems like the earlier quality level of weeds rather than the shit fest it became. At its core it still has the same dynamic of pretty sheltered suburban white lady now involved with criminals and danger which is a bit in your face but whatever. It seems interesting enough with ensemble cast and such and funny enough at certain moments. I was surprised it was an hour. Weeds struggled to fill 30 minutes. Hopefully it has a very short run so it doesn't completely burn out its premise. 

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7335 on: July 23, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
I can easily see it going off the rails in later seasons if they explore some stuff they hinted at with the main character. the show shines whenever she's not on-screen because the other actresses do a good job of making their shorter scenes resonate. I'll enjoy it for now, til the supporting characters become shallow cliches and the main boring plot overwhelms the show.
pcp

Tucah

« Reply #7336 on: July 23, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed OITNB after how much the past, I dunno, five seasons or so of Weeds sucked. Yeah, the main character is the worst of the bunch but the supporting cast is so good that it kept me interested for the season. The show was very smart with their flashbacks too, didn't go overboard and showed just enough to flesh out important characters - one of the things I'm looking forward to the most in the next season is seeing backstory on some of the characters that didn't get any this year. I could have used a bit less Taryn Manning because she bugs the hell out of me in pretty much anything she's in but it was a very solid start and probably the best thing Kohan's been involved in IMO (though that's really not saying much, even though I did like the first few seasons of Weeds quite a bit).

drew

• sy
« Reply #7337 on: July 23, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »

nope never heard of it before it was on tv.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #7338 on: July 23, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
Watching Orphan Black, I think I might have spoled a twist thanks to MGS!
Drunk

Tucah

« Reply #7339 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:13 PM »

nope never heard of it before it was on tv.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/comedy-bang-bang/

Find some guests that you like and listen ASAP, the podcast is fantastic and easily one of my favorite things to listen to each week.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7340 on: July 23, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
I see the last season of Spartacus isn't on netflix. Fucking stupid. Having the show up on netflix when the episodes air was why it became a hit to begin with, morons. No one watches starz willingly.
Since when has Spartacus ever been on Netflix?

Himu

« Reply #7341 on: July 23, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »
Episodes would be on netflix mere hours after they aired. If you weren't a cheap ass you'd know this. If we went on a date, would you take me mcdonalds, maurice?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7342 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »
I have Netflix!

And if we were dating we would go to Olive Garden. Why would I take a date to a fast food restaurant? I have money.
 :gurl

Himu

« Reply #7343 on: July 23, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
:dead
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #7344 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
now kiss

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7345 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
Spartacus was up on Netflix for a while.  It got taken down with a lot of other Starz shit sometime last year.
🍆🍆

Diunx

« Reply #7346 on: July 24, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
Sookie is such a clothes hating whore, I love her :drool
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7347 on: July 24, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »
Spartacus was up on Netflix for a while.  It got taken down with a lot of other Starz shit sometime last year.

I think the statement was that the FINAL season of Spartacus is unavailable on Netflix.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7348 on: July 25, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »
Netflixs' new policy of not showing too much gayness has probably effected Spartacus, which tbh isn't actually a bad thing.
I'd not want my daughter to accidentally start watching something like that.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7349 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:48 AM »
There's proof that you can condition children into homosexuality by making them watch crypto-gay propaganda like Oz, Abney and Teale etc etc.

drew

• sy
« Reply #7350 on: July 25, 2013, 07:40:22 AM »
Ultimate Force

british show about an SAS team.  it's actually really good! very authentic.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7351 on: July 25, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
Finished up Orange is the new black today.

I liked it. More than I thought I would going in. Which isn't to say of course that it isn't without a good deal of flaws. With the amount of episodes and the length of them, it gives them time to explore some areas they really shouldn't plot wise.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I didn't care for the whole kitchen-evil guard subplot they spent so much time on)
[close]

And some of the episodes just run long. I found myself fast forwarding a little through some of the episodes just to avoid certain slow or obvious scenes I didn't care to see just like I use to in Weeds. Although in Weeds I would fast forward nearly through whole damn episodes unlike here where it was mostly just 30 to 45 second bits.

I actually ended up liking the main character quite a bit. Mainly because they commit to showing her as a flawed character and the consequences that can bring unlike in Weeds where it was a constant extreme bounce in trying to make Nancy seem cool in the earlier seasons and then like a complete utter piece of shit in the later seasons. Some of that same dynamic exists here but it comes off better for some reason and it isn't dragged out over multiples of seasons. 

And yeah the other side character are very good. There stories aren't very original or unique but it commits to earnestly including them in the character of the show and its better for it. The show isn't especially realistic or anything but it honestly doesn't matter. You get to know and like the characters and that's what really matters.

This is a show that really should only last one more season. You can squeeze one more season out of these characters and story lines without it turning into a parody of itself. Hopefully they realize that. But I doubt it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:43:52 PM by Stoney Mason »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #7352 on: July 25, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »
It's a pretty good show.  I can't Jason Biggs' shit character, and there really isn't reason for him to be on it.  The side characters are pretty great, and they managed to write a sympathetic black trans character and have it played by an actual trans women which is pretty great.  Also there's some hot cholas :drool
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7353 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
It's a pretty good show.  I can't Jason Biggs' shit character, and there really isn't reason for him to be on it. 

His character is a complete whiney wimpy douche but plot wise I get why he is there and kinda feel he needs to be there.

Steve Contra

« Reply #7354 on: July 25, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »
If you needed any more reasons to watch Orange is the New Black this girl is in it:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

:whew
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:43:26 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7355 on: July 25, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
Thank you for putting that in tags for us at work  :whew

Beezy

« Reply #7356 on: July 25, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
name plz

Steve Contra

« Reply #7357 on: July 25, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »
Jackie Cruz
vin

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7358 on: July 25, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
Netflixs' new policy of not showing too much gayness has probably effected Spartacus, which tbh isn't actually a bad thing.
You are such a fucking idiot.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7359 on: July 25, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
I'm finally home from work and can bask in the glory of Jackie Cruz
:rejoice

I've heard good things about the show, but I've also heard the lead actress/character is forgettable as is her family, whereas the women in the prison are great.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7360 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
You are such a fucking idiot.
Cheeseman, for a writer with such flowery prose, your responses to gay theories and opinions are blunt and angry.

If you honestly think that you're gay, just watch an episode of Ultimate Force. My man drew posted a link.

Ross Kemp, actually went on IRL to make a doc. about Afghanistan, which isn't as good as This is what winning looks like, but he looks pretty tough, and has a sense of humour. The scurrilous rumour about him putting meat between Gordon's buns is repugnant.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7361 on: July 26, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
just watched the first episodes of NTSF and it was gargantuan comiccon pandering.

utterly horrible
Tonya

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7362 on: July 26, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »
so fucking glad childrens hospital and NTSF SD SUV are back! So goddamn hilarious.

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #7363 on: July 28, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
Watched all of Borgen. Thirty one hour episode marathoned in a week. :whew It was pretty sweet. Kind of like The West Wing but good.

drew

• sy
« Reply #7364 on: July 28, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »
Battlestar Galactica

officially addicted. want to slam starbuck on a table and roger the shit out of her.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:07:33 PM by drew »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7365 on: July 28, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
Just realized it's on netflix, I'm gonna start it too

drew

• sy
« Reply #7366 on: July 28, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
:knucks

Polari

« Reply #7367 on: August 05, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
Oh man The Killing this season was excellent. Unrelentingly bleak but the last three episodes especially, wow.

Tucah

« Reply #7368 on: August 05, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
Is it possible to just jump in on the third season of The Killing and understand everything? I've heard great things about the latest season but kind of mediocre things about the rest.

Polari

« Reply #7369 on: August 05, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
Is it possible to just jump in on the third season of The Killing and understand everything? I've heard great things about the latest season but kind of mediocre things about the rest.

More or less, you might have to stick it out for a bit until you get to know the characters a little.

archie4208

« Reply #7370 on: August 05, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
Dexter has jumped the shark so hard this season.  I'm not even mad.  I find all the glaring plot holes and ridiculous situations (even by the show's standards) funny as hell.

Polari

« Reply #7371 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »
Dexter has jumped the shark so hard this season.  I'm not even mad.  I find all the glaring plot holes and ridiculous situations (even by the show's standards) funny as hell.

I dunno man. I was expecting total trainwreck but in a good way. Instead it's been a total trainwreck in a very boring way until this last episode, bar when Deb drove them both into the lake (oh my god lol). The absurdity of this last episode (especially the ending) is looking like a promising set-up for wonderful terribleness though.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7372 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
Dexter's date was like three trainwrecks in slow-motion. It's interesting but predictable that a guy with horrible social skills decides to take on a parental role. I'm gonna guess this backfires and eventually that sociopath kid kills his father (maybe after his mother dies from drinking too much) and then Dexter gets caught by Quinn and Debra walks in on them in the same position as Lieutenant what's-her-face from last season.

And then they leave it cliffhangin'.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #7373 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »

More or less, you might have to stick it out for a bit until you get to know the characters a little.

Yeah this season was my first and I had no problem. I really enjoyed it and Holder is so funny. He has the best lines.
Boo

Tucah

« Reply #7374 on: August 05, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
Good to hear, I'll give The Killing a shot after I'm done with my current haul (TNG, Broadchurch, rewatching BB S5).

Diunx

« Reply #7375 on: August 06, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »
Really like last night's True Blood, love the return of badass Eric :bow2

And that new vampire that turn Jason into her walking food dispenser is crazy hot, I hope she becomes a regular( or at least shows  them titties before being killed off)
Drunk

etiolate

« Reply #7376 on: August 06, 2013, 03:55:44 AM »
Yeah I just watched the season finale for The Killing. Pretty good season.

serial chiller yo

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7377 on: August 06, 2013, 06:44:34 AM »

:rejoice
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7378 on: August 06, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »
I'm so glad I stopped watching Dexter at the end of season 3.

Kinda wish I'd kept up with Burn Notice, though. Someone here commented that the actor who plays the main character, Michael Westen, looks like he'd be a real asshole. I think that's why I gave up on it. Bruce Campbell is great, Gabrielle Anwar is scary but fun. The plots are sorta like A-Team for slightly-more-grown-ups. But Michael remains somehow unsympathetic. But with the show ending, I'll probably watch it all at some point.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7379 on: August 06, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
Season 4 was pretty good, Chrono.  I got halfway through Season 5 before I gave up.  But 4 was pretty damn good (That was the one with John Lithgow I think, whichever season that was is awesome)