Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070938 times)

etiolate

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #9660 on: August 19, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
You watch Arrow for the Actions scenes, the Island Scenes or for the Man Pron.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9661 on: August 19, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
So I got the bug to watch Twin Peaks for the first time last night after seeing it on Netflix. We're up to episode 3 and this show is just crazy in a way I don't know how to feel about. So conflicted by it that I was compulsed to order the Blu Ray with same day delivery.

I couldn't handle the cheese. I understand it's a a parody but yeah...

That being said I love the atmosphere of the show. Weird foggy little town...it reminds me so much of various trips I took with my family. I keep saying I'll give it another shot and I will.

Bebpo

« Reply #9662 on: August 21, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »
About 5 eps into S3 of Breaking Bad and for such a highly regarded show, S2 and S3 so far are a slog.  S1 was great and blew through it in like 2 days.  I hear S4/S5 are great too, so it sounds like they had a good start and finish in mind, but the middle drags.  S1 balanced Walter's family life with the crime story fairly evenly and so they both worked. 

S2 and S3 first few eps:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Once Walter's personal drama life with his wife and their seperation/angst and Walter loses it more and more becomes the main focus of the show every ep, while the crime side gets like 5 mins and Jesse is at rehab or just doing stuff on his own...it drags.  I heard somewhere in S3 it'll pick back up and then S4/S5 will be good stuff, so getting through it, but compared to other shows it's kind of meh watching an ep of BB at this point.
[close]

Also watched the first 2 eps of The Knick and it's damn good.  Ep1 was fantastic and Ep2 was a little messy but still good and it's nice how many character arcs/subplots Soderbergh's trying to get in to keep it busy and interesting.  The characters are great, the setting is cool, the music by Cliff Martinez is fucking FANTASTIC and gives it such a unique mood and the camera work is quality Soderbergh.  Very excited to watch this whole thing through, Soderbergh is a great director and he doesn't seem to have lost anything in his transition to TV (Soderbergh is actually a good director for going to TV since 90% of his movies could be done on a TV budget because they're mainly people drama without any fancy effects or big locations).

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #9663 on: August 21, 2014, 01:17:12 AM »
I stopped watching that fucking show when two airplanes collided over Walter's house because of his own actions. (spoiler)

There's suspension of disbelief and then there's suspension of disbelief. :comeon

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9664 on: August 21, 2014, 02:00:53 AM »
About 5 eps into S3 of Breaking Bad and for such a highly regarded show, S2 and S3 so far are a slog.  S1 was great and blew through it in like 2 days.  I hear S4/S5 are great too, so it sounds like they had a good start and finish in mind, but the middle drags.  S1 balanced Walter's family life with the crime story fairly evenly and so they both worked. 

S2 and S3 first few eps:
Once Walter's personal drama life with his wife and their seperation/angst and Walter loses it more and more becomes the main focus of the show every ep, while the crime side gets like 5 mins and Jesse is at rehab or just doing stuff on his own...it drags.  I heard somewhere in S3 it'll pick back up and then S4/S5 will be good stuff, so getting through it, but compared to other shows it's kind of meh watching an ep of BB at this point.
[close]

Also watched the first 2 eps of The Knick and it's damn good.  Ep1 was fantastic and Ep2 was a little messy but still good and it's nice how many character arcs/subplots Soderbergh's trying to get in to keep it busy and interesting.  The characters are great, the setting is cool, the music by Cliff Martinez is fucking FANTASTIC and gives it such a unique mood and the camera work is quality Soderbergh.  Very excited to watch this whole thing through, Soderbergh is a great director and he doesn't seem to have lost anything in his transition to TV (Soderbergh is actually a good director for going to TV since 90% of his movies could be done on a TV budget because they're mainly people drama without any fancy effects or big locations).
S4 and select episodes of S5 are where BB really shines. But it's not as God-tier as it is proclaimed to be.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9665 on: August 21, 2014, 03:34:47 AM »
The first half of Season 2 blows. Season 2 as a whole isn't great. The first half of season 3 blows. The rest of season 3 is pretty good. Season 4 owns. Season 5 was good but not great like it should've been.

I liked Season 1 the most. It was more grounded (but still pulpy) and less silly. BB is a deepy, DEEPLY silly show. Walter White being a kingpin is pure fantasy. Dude would've been dead in five seconds.
reckt

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9666 on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:18 AM »
So I got the bug to watch Twin Peaks for the first time last night after seeing it on Netflix. We're up to episode 3 and this show is just crazy in a way I don't know how to feel about. So conflicted by it that I was compulsed to order the Blu Ray with same day delivery.

It's a great show that flubs a bit after the big reveal, but comes back on top with the end.

Yeah, the series finale is pretty much top-tier everything. I loved the show so much.

There is a lot of meaningless meandering though after the major story arc is closed, and all the crap with Ms. Eyepatch and her amnesia... Jesus. Beyond hokey, sure, but not even fun.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9667 on: August 21, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »
Yeah Twin Peaks isn't good after the reveal. That finale is tops. Shit I might give it a rewatch now.
reckt

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #9668 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »
Never watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace until recently. Funny stuff.

etiolate

« Reply #9669 on: August 21, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »
Dark place is awesome. One track lover was my ringtone for years.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9670 on: August 21, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
Great show.

etiolate

« Reply #9671 on: August 21, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »
You should check out Snuff Box as well.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #9672 on: August 21, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
lmao I completely forgot about the :hans1 episode of The Sandbaggers where they go to the U.S. and supplement the Secret Service for a funeral.

Like I think even Snah would watch that ep and go :what. :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9673 on: August 21, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
You should check out Snuff Box as well.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9674 on: August 22, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
Rectify ended and I am in a lot of tears.

Season 3 is gonna be fucking unbelievably amazing.

etiolate

« Reply #9675 on: August 22, 2014, 04:42:23 AM »
That debriefing scene in Rectify

so stronk totally imba

I want to say this and The Americans are the two best dramas on TV now that everything else is about to end or already had its finale.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9676 on: August 22, 2014, 07:17:24 AM »
Rectify is so damn soapy now. I cringed at the "I need to talk to you but please talk first so I can change my mind" bullshit. The first season was free of such cliche. That and the last minute decisions and reveal kind of turned me off. The debrief was powerful stuff though.
reckt

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9677 on: August 22, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
I agree Bebpo. I also found Breaking Bad quite dull and I didn't like any of the characters.

I'm not alone :rejoice

did someone bring up bb hate? :hyper

show took corny to new levels. not like I'm experienced in the drug trade or anything, but everything in that show was so over-the-top it was silly. just a ridiculous nerd fantasy take on getting power. friends is to nyc living as breaking bad is to the drug trade
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9678 on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
Someone here recommended Derren Brown: ENIGMA. I have no idea how he did any of that stuff. Amazing. Whole show is in the spoiler if you're interested:

[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9679 on: August 22, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
That debriefing scene in Rectify

so stronk totally imba

I want to say this and The Americans are the two best dramas on TV now that everything else is about to end or already had its finale.
The debrief scene was powerful. Also lol at soap opera criticism, what a shit criticism angle

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9680 on: August 22, 2014, 05:59:13 PM »
It's not shit. The show seems too soapy now. Deal with it :smug

c'mon dude. Character shows up at the VERY LAST MINUTE to fuck over another character. Just in the nick of time.
reckt

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9681 on: August 22, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
It's not last minute. Teddy knew about when the plea deal was going down. He just lost his wife. He's a narcissist who wants to get back at Daniel for taking everything from him (even when it was rocky to begin with). We don't know the ramifications of it --- teddy did assault someone else which would work against him. Your criticism is dogshit.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9682 on: August 22, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
:smug
reckt

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #9683 on: August 22, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »
I've never seen Breaking Bad, just haven't been interested in it. One of these days, I hear it's good.
WDW

Kara

« Reply #9684 on: August 23, 2014, 02:15:22 AM »
They have slivovitz in series 3 episode 5 of The Sandbaggers. :lawd

I also enjoyed a terrorist group being described as "more broadly, a mixture of Marxism, Maoism and nihilism" in a prior episode. :neogaf

Freyj

« Reply #9685 on: August 23, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
It's not last minute. Teddy knew about when the plea deal was going down. He just lost his wife. He's a narcissist who wants to get back at Daniel for taking everything from him (even when it was rocky to begin with). We don't know the ramifications of it --- teddy did assault someone else which would work against him. Your criticism is dogshit.

The ending was dramatic enough without shoehorning the Teddy shit back in. Nevermind that the entire Teddy situation could have been de-escalated with simple communication that Tawney (and most of the rest of the cast) seems entirely incapable of.

I'd really rather the season not have ended in an "every plotline from this season and last comes down to one cliffhanger" manner.

Anyway, it's more than apparent that 6 episodes is a good number for this show and Season 1 was far better executed. And holy shit fire the entire sound department. That was a god damn trainwreck this season.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9686 on: August 23, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »
I completely disagree. There were so many beautiful moments this season that I can't wait for S3. And if it appeases your shit, the episode order has been reduced.

I will only agree with the sound, which was not always awful but kind of annoying. Finale music was on point, though. They should hire Mark Mothersbaugh so he can contribute an Enlightened-esque score.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:32:24 PM by ZephyrFate »

etiolate

« Reply #9687 on: August 23, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
Not surprised by the Teddy Jr thing at the end. It was a foreseeable event considering everything that had gone on.

I do expect the Senator to be an even bigger presence next season. Everything is set up for that. Wouldn't even be surprised if the current prosecutor lady drops out due to lack of confidence in their case.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9688 on: August 23, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »

The ending was dramatic enough without shoehorning the Teddy shit back in. Nevermind that the entire Teddy situation could have been de-escalated with simple communication that Tawney (and most of the rest of the cast) seems entirely incapable of.

I'd really rather the season not have ended in an "every plotline from this season and last comes down to one cliffhanger" manner.

Anyway, it's more than apparent that 6 episodes is a good number for this show and Season 1 was far better executed. And holy shit fire the entire sound department. That was a god damn trainwreck this season.

:mynicca
reckt

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #9689 on: August 23, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
That opening scene with
Tawney and Daniel in bed
[close]
was some serious :snoop shit. I mean, I enjoy sentimental romantic shit as much as the next guy, but that shit was way too much

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9690 on: August 23, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »
I didn't know we had so many Rectify viewers here :leon I guess with this forum and the thread on SA the show has a grand total of...nine viewers.
reckt

Kara

« Reply #9691 on: August 23, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »
I'm probably going to start it soon too. I already have season 1 downloaded.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #9692 on: August 23, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
I'm probably going to start it soon too. I already have season 1 downloaded.
It's a p. great love letter to the Southern Gothic genre. Rural decay, familial obligations, the environment as a character, atmosphere over narrative :lawd. Tennessee Williams would be proud.
At least, that's why I enjoy the show :larry.
[close]

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9693 on: August 23, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »
Season 4 of Boardwalk :larry

Finished the seventh episode and I hate the subplot with Eli's son. Dude was best in the background. Also I was excited at the beginning of the season because it seemed to be focusing on Chaulky but all he's done so far is leer at the singer. What a waste.
reckt

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9694 on: August 23, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Watched a lot of the Simpsons today on the FXX marathon as they are still on the very early years.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9695 on: August 23, 2014, 09:58:14 PM »
That opening scene with
Tawney and Daniel in bed
[close]
was some serious :snoop shit. I mean, I enjoy sentimental romantic shit as much as the next guy, but that shit was way too much
I thought the cinematography was fantastic and the symbolism of him always seeking sunlight but feeling empty within it is awesome.

Also while I loathe to respond to Sexual Marketplace, Rectify has an average of 287,000 viewers which is about what Enlightened had but on a more obscure channel. The bounty of critical acclaim the show received last season and even more this season has helped.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9696 on: August 23, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
You loathe to respond to me? How condescending. Do you view me as a pleb, or am I merely abrasive? Do I not opine eloquently enough for you, or do you view me as savage?

:gurl
reckt

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9697 on: August 24, 2014, 12:06:32 AM »
Newest Doctor Who episode: Reeks of Moffat, but goddamn if Capaldi isn't a great Doctor.  Matt's still my favorite but Malcolm Who is gonna be a great few seasons.
püp

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #9698 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
Newest Doctor Who episode: Reeks of Moffat, but goddamn if Capaldi isn't a great Doctor.  Matt's still my favorite but Malcolm Who is gonna be a great few seasons.

I really liked the episode.  I think Capaldi is going to be a great Doctor.

What I'm trying to figure out is why British people don't like the show anymore?  I've heard some say it was because of Smith's acting, and I've heard others say it was because of the show's writers. 

Personally, I haven't ever fell off the bandwagon.  I know the show can get slow sometimes in the middle, but all shows have that.  And I think it's got to be hard when you have story arcs that span entire seasons and sometimes multiple seasons to be writing amazing plots that can be covered in one episode entirely.
WTF

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9699 on: August 24, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
 ::)
püp

etiolate

« Reply #9700 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »
Tenant was the worst of the new Whos. Brits loved Tennant and RTD because it was super stupid adventures with a romance between the boyish cute Doctor Who and a real life Miss Piggy. Matt Smith era lead off with Amy/Rory and then the Doctor flying solo until Clara showed up, but Clara was never much of anything last season. So the companion slash fic wasn't so strong for crazy fangirls. Now Capildi shows up and the fangirls are eww'd out.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9701 on: August 24, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »
I don't like the Matt Smith stuff nearly as much as certain circuits of the internet do.

Kara

« Reply #9702 on: August 24, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
The first episode of Rectify was heavy. :whew

6 episodes is probably going to be 5 too many for me. :lawd

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #9703 on: August 24, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
Capaldi is the best doctor for this alone:

He'll probably kill no more than the previous reincarnations, but at least he up front about the deaths he will cause.
<コ:彡

Kara

« Reply #9704 on: August 24, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
Wait, Malcolm Tucker is the new Doctor Who?

That's a... mild selling point.

If he can just be Malcolm Tucker in sci-fi bullshit.

etiolate

« Reply #9705 on: August 24, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »
Capaldi will be really good as the Doctor as long as they give him good scripts. Like this first episode's mystery ended up amounting to nothing and making no sense in the long run, so the episode pretty much succeeded based on Capaldi's ramblings in the alley way.

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #9706 on: August 24, 2014, 05:25:04 PM »
Wait, Malcolm Tucker is the new Doctor Who?

That's a... mild selling point.

If he can just be Malcolm Tucker in sci-fi bullshit.

He kinda is.
<コ:彡

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9707 on: August 24, 2014, 05:53:16 PM »
The first episode of Rectify was heavy. :whew

6 episodes is probably going to be 5 too many for me. :lawd
It gets more dramatic from there. Ep 5 and 6 are a gut punch.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9708 on: August 24, 2014, 09:22:52 PM »
You ain't gonna respond Zephyr?
reckt

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9709 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
Someone give me a cliff notes on Rectify and why I should watch it. The trailer wasn't particularly descriptive.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9710 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »
Capaldi will be really good as the Doctor as long as they give him good scripts. Like this first episode's mystery ended up amounting to nothing and making no sense in the long run, so the episode pretty much succeeded based on Capaldi's ramblings in the alley way.
Yeah that was really kind of messy. You start with  Dinosaur in England only to go off on something completely different. The character stuff was decent and had a cool dynamic basically about the fact that Doctor is not this cute slash fiction character. The actual plot though was kind of crap.

Kara

« Reply #9711 on: August 24, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
Someone give me a cliff notes on Rectify and why I should watch it. The trailer wasn't particularly descriptive.

A guy allegedly raped and murdered his girlfriend when he was a teenager.

He confessed, was tried and sentenced to death.

After 20 something years of appeals, a DNA test was finally done on the crime scene evidence. It falsified the prosecution's case and he was let free.

Now a breh who spent 20 years on the row has to come back to small town Southern America and try and try to start his life again (he was just a teenager when he was sent up the river) while the specter of another indictment looms over him.

Think Shawshank but bleaker.

Kara

« Reply #9712 on: August 24, 2014, 10:25:05 PM »
Well I've only watched the first episode, but:

1. He was found with her body, incoherent.
2. He was a teenager.
3. (Presumption) People cop a plea in capital cases to avoid the needle.
4. His first lawyer sucked.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #9713 on: August 24, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »
I thought I read somewhere they left it ambiguous whether or not he did it, is that true?
WDW

etiolate

« Reply #9714 on: August 24, 2014, 11:08:24 PM »
Tenant was the worst of the new Whos. Brits loved Tennant and RTD because it was super stupid adventures with a romance between the boyish cute Doctor Who and a real life Miss Piggy. Matt Smith era lead off with Amy/Rory and then the Doctor flying solo until Clara showed up, but Clara was never much of anything last season. So the companion slash fic wasn't so strong for crazy fangirls. Now Capildi shows up and the fangirls are eww'd out.

Matt Smith better than Tennant?

You are probably the only person I've ever seen make this argument. How do you manage to have contrarian arguments about everything?

I don't think Tennant was ever good at the post-genocidal Doctor parts. Dr Who gets childish and all, but Tennant leaned hard on the children's entertainment side.

Kara

« Reply #9715 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:39 PM »
I thought I read somewhere they left it ambiguous whether or not he did it, is that true?

If he did, he wasn't alone--the first episode makes that pretty clear.

But I think it'll be a conceit that drives the show, at least for the first season.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9716 on: August 24, 2014, 11:41:59 PM »
It's a central conceit of the show, even after two seasons. It's hard to recreate an event that occurred 19 years ago with multiple parties involved with any sort of clarity, especially in small town Georgia. The "shades of grey" approach to not only the case, but to all the characters involved, is what makes Rectify's narrative as good as it is.

Quaker

« Reply #9717 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:14 AM »

A guy allegedly raped and murdered his girlfriend when he was a teenager.

He confessed, was tried and sentenced to death.

After 20 something years of appeals, a DNA test was finally done on the crime scene evidence. It falsified the prosecution's case and he was let free.

Now a breh who spent 20 years on the row has to come back to small town Southern America and try and try to start his life again (he was just a teenager when he was sent up the river) while the specter of another indictment looms over him.

Think Shawshank but bleaker.
Thanks, I watch a decent amount of Sundance so I've half-watched the TV spots probably over a hundred times by now and I've half-read the back and forth between etiolate and Zephyr and still had no fucking idea what the show was about. I see the first season is on Netflix so I'll check it out.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9718 on: August 25, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »
It's roughly based on/inspired by Damien Echolls and the West Memphis Three.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9719 on: August 25, 2014, 02:12:35 AM »
Watched a lot of the Simpsons today on the FXX marathon as they are still on the very early years.

Already the dip in quality is now noticeable. I'm not one of those people who thinks there were no good episodes after season 7 or something but the average episode is so much worse by comparison. I'm almost tempted to watch more of the later seasons to see how low it bottoms out.

Funny enough my brother still likes the show. Whenever we talk about it, I have to limit my discussion to the early seasons but he talks about things that were funny to him in recent seasons. To each his own.