Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2071161 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #10140 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:40 AM »
Finale of Supernatural season 8 was some epic ass shit, yo.

One of the better finales of the series. Up there with s5 imo. Now if they could hold this kinda tone across a whole season...

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10141 on: October 15, 2014, 03:11:05 AM »
season 8 and 9 is a drastic leap up in quality over season 7. definitely. the narrative thread they're following is far more interesting than the boring threat in season 7

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bringing Crowley out as a more major character is obviously helping.
[close]
nat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10142 on: October 15, 2014, 04:26:09 AM »
season 8 and 9 is a drastic leap up in quality over season 7. definitely. the narrative thread they're following is far more interesting than the boring threat in season 7

Bringing Crowley out as a more major character is obviously helping.
[close]

Season 7 I think was them trying re-steer the ship since no one was at the fucking wheel for 6. I remember going into 8 really excited. s10 is kinda weird so far (4? episodes in) but the whole show is constantly weird now though so

:yeshrug

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10143 on: October 15, 2014, 06:40:59 AM »
season 9 finale :hump
nat

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #10144 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »
Supernatural season 9:

This whole thing where Sam keeps waking up to weird stuff after Ezekiel takes over and Dean has to lie that Sam hit his head and got knocked out is getting to be pretty hilarious. I wonder how far they're gonna take this.
[close]

About 3/4's of the season.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10145 on: October 15, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »
season 9 finale :hump

I liked crowley's speech at the end and putting metatron in heaven jail.

Deanmon has a lot of potential.
YMMV

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #10146 on: October 15, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »
Gotham - Still dumb as hell, still fun as hell, still too much Bruce Wayne
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10147 on: October 15, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Flash is good.  The black chick is boner inducing. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #10148 on: October 15, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Finally got around to watching the first episode of American Horror Story. Looks like they're breaking tradition this season by sucking right off the bat instead of halfway through. I'll give it one more episode, but I struggled to make it all the way through the first, so I dunno.
sup

Kshow

« Reply #10149 on: October 16, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
Anyone seen QuickDraw?  A Hulu original. Pretty damn funny.  In the vein of 10 items or less.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10150 on: October 16, 2014, 06:03:10 PM »

I liked crowley's speech at the end and putting metatron in heaven jail.

Deanmon has a lot of potential.

He's so awesomely evil.
nat

cool breeze

« Reply #10151 on: October 16, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
yeah, The Flash is fun.  really surprised the effects are decent enough to make the speed powers look cool.

so far Arrow season 3 feels like it's in a holding pattern.  lots of drawn out drama, no clear idea where it's heading in the present day or flashbacks.  the show needs a strong purpose to drive the stories.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10152 on: October 17, 2014, 12:12:36 AM »
decided to start at the beginning of Supernatural. I really hate the high contrast "it's always dark" look. glad they moved away from that.
nat

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10153 on: October 17, 2014, 12:39:04 AM »
First ep of Homeland S4 was great. Second ep....ehh. At least it provided the set up for the rest of the season I guess.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10154 on: October 17, 2014, 01:08:33 AM »
decided to start at the beginning of Supernatural. I really hate the high contrast "it's always dark" look. glad they moved away from that.

I actually loved that and miss it ='(

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #10155 on: October 17, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »
The Flash>>>>Arrow
reckt

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10156 on: October 17, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
I believe it, because Arrow sucks

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #10157 on: October 17, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
Arrow is flabby now. I am just tired of that shit.
reckt

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10158 on: October 17, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
Gotham - Still dumb as hell, still fun as hell, still too much Bruce Wayne
They've made The Penguin awesome. Perfect actor too.

Oblivion

« Reply #10159 on: October 19, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
Okay, finally finished season 2 of Arrow. My thoughts:

The season finale was mostly awesome, I thought. It had a very nice build up. I would have preferred the fight between Oliver and Slade lasted a bit longer, but otherwise, it was pretty stellar.

I have to say though, plot wise, I do have a pretty big gripe. This entire ordeal that Oliver's been through since the beginning was due to Slade going absolutely cuckoo because of Shallow's death. Originally they blamed it on the mirakuru, which even then I thought was kind of stupid, but then even when Slade was cured, he still hated Oliver. Dude, you knew her for like a month! What the fuck?

Other than that though, can't wait to get into season 3.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10160 on: October 20, 2014, 12:08:27 AM »
This has probably been the worst season of Downton Abbey. It really has nothing going for it that stands out compared to other seasons. It's a small collection of small bore arcs dragged out over a season. The halfway point has been passed and I don't understand why these stories, most of them continued from last season, are still around.

Edith has gone from an independent, unique character to a sulking ghost who drags every fucking episode with the same bore. Mr. Bates had been an afterthought while a noose apparently tightens around his neck (so original). I like the drama between Cora and Robert, I like Blake...and that's about it.

Then there's Thomas, who has been wasted for three seasons in a row. How long can these characters act the exact same way with no development? It's a shame because I still enjoy many of the characters, I like the various little moments of banter between them, I love the atmosphere...but it has been running on fumes ever since S3 ended.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10161 on: October 20, 2014, 01:15:41 AM »
TV in Turkey is weird; we’re thankful for the four English-language channels which are available: BBC News 1&2, BBC Entertainment, and “NBC.” That’s in quotes because the station IDs and promotional materials are all thematically consistently NBC, but the channel has shown The Simpsons (Fox), Arrow (CW), and Hit the Floor (VH1) in addition to How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory.

The “NBC" channel is also fond of showing just part of a show, with no explanation. The other night, we watched an episode of BBT, and another episode began. However, only five minutes or so if it played, it went to a commercial break, and then came back to show Fargo... or the first 10 minutes of a Fargo episode. Next it showed 5 minutes of some police procedural, before starting an episode of Arrow.

It’s strange.

Anyway, this is the first I’ve seen of Arrow, and I like it. You guys are right, the drama stuff is really lame. “You should talk to her.” “He can come talk to me whenever he is ready.” Jesus. Lame, passive-aggressive drama based on an unwillingness to communicate. Nothing heroic there. The rest of it is really neat, though. I enjoyed realizing that the young troublemaker who is trying to surreptitiously help Ollie is named Roy, and wearing a red hoodie. :lol Neat stuff like that.

I’ll probably stick with it once I get somewhere that I can start with the first episode.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #10162 on: October 20, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
 Boardwalk Empire:

Mickey steady talking himself into getting shot in the throat even while Nucky screams at him to shut up :heh

Luciano and Lansky telling Torrio to gtfo with the quickness after they were done with him :sabu

Nucky on Commodore cleanup detail :kobeyuck
[close]

Finale next week

there's no one left to kill :lol
[close]
sup

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10163 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »
I love how much gay sex is on How To Get Away With Murder. Connor Walsh  :D :D

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10164 on: October 21, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »
My favorite thing about Jack Taylor is that every other episode he's all, "I'm getting sober cuz X happened in the previous episode," and by the end of the episode some terrible personal tragedy has occurred and he's pounding a bottle of Irish whiskey like it's a hamburger patty. :dead

The unsubs on this show are fucking RIDICULOUS doe. :dead I can't even bring myself to write brief synopses of them, though that might be because I've been writing so many Blossom synopses of late. :neogaf

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10165 on: October 22, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
Anybody watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix? It's got potential.
YMMV

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10166 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:26 PM »
I have it in my queue, Netflix recommended it to me.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10167 on: October 22, 2014, 11:51:05 PM »
Thea has never been more attractive to me than in this most recent episode of Arrow. That crop top, that short hair.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10168 on: October 23, 2014, 04:19:04 AM »
The Groundhog's Day episode of Supernatural is amazing.

"Does this taco taste funny to you?"
nat

cool breeze

« Reply #10169 on: October 23, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
Arrow.  again, I don't think I've seen another show where the writers absolutely hate a character (or actor) more than than Laurel.  though I think Roy is better this season because he's now a dumb, almost comic relief character. 

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10170 on: October 23, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
I have it in my queue, Netflix recommended it to me.

I'm through 4 episodes now, it's fucking awesome. Stars the scarecrow from Batman.

Good stuff.
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #10171 on: October 23, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Then it sounds like I'm switching to that as soon as I'm done plowing through Jack Taylor.

Unless Rectify gets off its candy ass and puts season 2 on Netflix. Fucking Sundance. :bolo

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10172 on: October 23, 2014, 07:11:22 PM »
Use delishows.to or Watchseries.lt

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10173 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »
icefilms is way better IMO.

benjipwns

« Reply #10174 on: October 24, 2014, 01:53:13 AM »
Gotham and The Blacklist are both reaching the point of dripping out the arc plot at such a slow pace to where I almost want to wait and then marathon them to get the underwhelming "reveals" over with.

But the "case of the week" + "wacky adventures of oswald cobblepot" on Gotham has been well done, the cases do seem like they're getting just that little tweak from something like Castle to make them fit into the Gotham we know from the Batman era. Even the Bruce Wayne stuff wasn't too bad this week, fitting him into an arc regarding taking control of Wayne Enterprises might justify keeping him around. 

Meanwhile James Spader hamming it up is must see TV.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10175 on: October 24, 2014, 02:19:28 AM »
Connor Walsh has an 8 inch dick and is my slutty spirit animal. #HowToGetAwayWithMurder

the rest of the show is pretty shit but Jack Falahee is doing great work in this role

benjipwns

« Reply #10176 on: October 24, 2014, 02:24:32 AM »
I've noticed the last couple years that I've been putting up with some otherwise questionable shows based on one (or two) actors performance.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10177 on: October 24, 2014, 02:29:15 AM »
Agreed. You'd think Viola Davis would be stealing the show consistently, and while she has great scenes (including the ending to last ep and the argument that started this week's ep), Jack Falahee is a surprise talent and his turn as a morally ambiguous gay slut lawyer is just so damn entertaining. He's acting circles around the rest of the very flat actors that surround him.

But yeah, the rest of the actors either overact (Wes), are painfully dull (Laurel), also overact (Michaela), or are just kind of there. The plotting of the show is soapier than probably any other Shondaland show, and the consistent overuse of the flash forwards to repeat certain scenes every single week over and over isn't doing it a lot of favors. They add new details and dialogue each time, but it doesn't justify the fact that we are seeing footage repeated endlessly.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10178 on: October 24, 2014, 03:21:56 AM »

Is that the “Loki” episode, in season 3 or 4?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10179 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »

Is that the “Loki” episode, in season 3 or 4?

Yes.

Gabriel is my favorite
dead
[close]
angel.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10180 on: October 24, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »
Connor Walsh has an 8 inch dick and is my slutty spirit animal. #HowToGetAwayWithMurder

the rest of the show is pretty shit but Jack Falahee is doing great work in this role
Is the show doing well? My mom was hyped about it mainly due to it's creator getting attacked by a white critic. I know she watched the first episode but I'm 100% sure she didn't continue watching the show. I've seen some of it and can tell it's too modern for her. Too snappy and fast paced.

The black chick is super hot.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #10181 on: October 24, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »
There's a tv renaissance right now for hot black chicks.  :whew
vin

Kara

« Reply #10182 on: October 24, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »
Man, why did I stop watching Rectify? (Because you're a fucking idiot. -Ed.) Shit so good, even after a lengthy, inexplicable break on my part.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10183 on: October 24, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »
Man, why did I stop watching Rectify? (Because you're a fucking idiot. -Ed.) Shit so good, even after a lengthy, inexplicable break on my part.

I would like to employ you as my editor for my posts. I offer you a shiny batch of absolutely nothing but perhaps a used 3DS for christmas. Do you accept my offer?

Thx

MGMT.
YMMV

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10184 on: October 24, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »

Is the show doing well? My mom was hyped about it mainly due to it's creator getting attacked by a white critic. I know she watched the first episode but I'm 100% sure she didn't continue watching the show. I've seen some of it and can tell it's too modern for her. Too snappy and fast paced.

The black chick is super hot.
It's really popular. I wouldn't say it's a good show or anything, but it's finding an audience because its twists are soapy as fuck.

Vularai -- go finish Season 2 NOW

Kara

« Reply #10185 on: October 24, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »
I would like to employ you as my editor for my posts. I offer you a shiny batch of absolutely nothing but perhaps a used 3DS for christmas. Do you accept my offer?

Thx

MGMT.

I'm desperate for any meaning in my worthless life, the 3DS is unnecessary (but appreciated). :smug

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #10186 on: October 25, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
I'll try and get through Jack Taylor again. I got so tired of his "THE GUARD" and his worn cynicism in the first episode.
reckt

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10187 on: October 25, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
I gave up after either the painting episode, or the one with the femme fatale? I can't remember if there was even a femme fatale but I do remember some kinda bar meeting with a lady.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10188 on: October 25, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
Shield is pretty good this season. 

Kara

« Reply #10189 on: October 25, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
I gave up after either the painting episode, or the one with the femme fatale? I can't remember if there was even a femme fatale but I do remember some kinda bar meeting with a lady.

That was the painting episode.

The SHOCKING TWEEST of that one. :lol

e: I should say that I view this show as a farce and don't take it seriously. If you do I can see how it might turn you off after an episode or 3.

Kara

« Reply #10190 on: October 25, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
"I know there's... there's good in you Daniel." [Redacted]
"You don't know me Tawney. You only think you know me. You only see what you want to see. You don't know the despicable things I've done."
"It doesn't change that it's there... your goodness. But if you keep that goodness to yourself, and you don't share it with the world, that's a greater sin than anything you think you might've done in the past."
"Anything I might have done?"
"Yes. Anything."

Brehs what kind of Faustian bargain did I make? :tocry

fey

« Reply #10191 on: October 26, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
the last episode of downtown crappey ruined my night im so mad rn!!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10192 on: October 26, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »
damn, I decided not to watch it tonight, and instead read. Now I'm going to watch it Fey. I'll blame you pre-emptively.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #10193 on: October 26, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
toku, I must ask you, where's your avatar from? It enraptures me with the sweat, the hair and expression, I must know.

Also to stay on topic: The final Boardwalk Empire was good, fitting ending. Shame the season was shorter.

le edit: nevermind, it's from hellraiser.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:05:23 PM by Junpei the Tracer! »
Boo

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10194 on: October 26, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »
Boardwalk Empire finale was very much a Boardwalk finale. Season was pretty much what I expected. Like must truncated final seasons it serves more as a drawn out goodbye than a nice wrap up (mainly disappointed that so much was skipped more than the actual content that was there).

Still stand by s3 being the best, with four probably being the weakest. Shortened final fifth season and all.

EDIT: Yeah it's the first Hellraiser. Main character (forget her name).

2nd EDIT: DO I appreciate how they explored more of the icky parts of Gillian and Nucky's relationship.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:46:50 PM by toku »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #10195 on: October 27, 2014, 12:12:05 AM »
BE:

If Tommy didn't get him the IRS was gonna  :sabu
[close]
sup

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #10196 on: October 27, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
BE

I liked Nuck, but he was a piece of shit that deserved to die
[close]
reckt

fey

« Reply #10197 on: October 27, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
Downton Abbey s5e6

Edith's lover is confirmed dead

Mary: "lmao what did he even like about Edith"
Mary celebrates and gets a haircut
Mary tells Edith that she ruins everything
Mary decides to have a party
Mary continues to juggle two men who for reasons unknown continue to thirst over her.
[close]

I'm TIRED of this CUNT. #teamedith

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10198 on: October 27, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
Been in Turkey long enough that The Last Ship seems watchable. I was also laughing at The Big Bang earlier.

I NEED TO LEAVE THIS COUNTRY.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10199 on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
On the bright side you now have something in common with Lawrence of Arabia; the Turks gave you both a shamefully enjoyable Big Bang.