Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2071064 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #10860 on: February 13, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »
I'm really enjoying Man Seeking Woman

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10861 on: February 13, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
When y'all talk about Spartie I feel like we watched entirely different shows. The pseudo-anachronistic English in that show had me in stitches 24/7. Every once in a while I'll look at my bad entertainment bro and say, "I WOULD HAVE WORDS!"

THANK YOU

The show had a lot of strengths. It's pacing and story arcs were god tier. Great cast who really sold it. But it's faux-Shakespeare dialogue was beyond laughable.
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10862 on: February 13, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
Also, while we're shitting on Latin (are we? I only skimmed this page)

Finding out that Julius Caesar was actually pronounced Yuul-y-us Kie-sar was like first seeing images of dinosaurs with feathers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:27:16 PM by Mamacint »
___

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10863 on: February 13, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
:dead

Dare I ask if you've heard the Classical Latin pronunciation of "Veni, vidi, vici"? That revelation can send you off the edge if you're not prepared.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10864 on: February 14, 2015, 03:39:31 AM »
When y'all talk about Spartie I feel like we watched entirely different shows. The pseudo-anachronistic English in that show had me in stitches 24/7. Every once in a while I'll look at my bad entertainment bro and say, "I WOULD HAVE WORDS!"

THANK YOU

The show had a lot of strengths. It's pacing and story arcs were god tier. Great cast who really sold it. But it's faux-Shakespeare dialogue was beyond laughable.

I couldn't care less if it's anachronistic or phoney or whatever. It's fun, and far more interesting to listen to over dialogue in the majority of other shows out there. So citing it as a negative is weird to me.
nat

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10865 on: February 14, 2015, 04:03:53 AM »
It creates suspension of disbelief issues (e.g. Batiatus has a lower register than slaves) and is just cheap sleight of hand to ennoble characters whose actions should ennoble them enough already.

It's 40K thesaurus English tier writing without the half-hearted justification for its existence.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10866 on: February 14, 2015, 04:10:09 AM »
Despite the way it can be phrased sometimes, Spartacus had some incredibly good writing particularly in its turns-of-phrase and the monologues characters carried out from time to time. There's a lot of really great insight and critique of the culture of the time and of the class struggle that echo modern times pretty well.

I frequently cite the moment when Illythia tells Glaber how they can be monsters together, right after saving him from death & bathed in blood. It was a powerful bit of dialogue by a really great actress.

Mock the phrasing, but the actual content of most of Spartacus' writing is fucking excellent.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10867 on: February 14, 2015, 11:06:07 AM »
http://gfycat.com/FrenchLightheartedIsabellinewheatear

Another great always sunny episode.

Robo

« Reply #10868 on: February 14, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »

BlueTsunami didn't mention he was going to be on TV.  (40 seconds)
obo

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10869 on: February 14, 2015, 07:05:50 PM »
rip in peace constantine

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10870 on: February 14, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »

BlueTsunami didn't mention he was going to be on TV.  (40 seconds)
noooo
:stahp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10871 on: February 14, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »
rip in peace constantine

(Image removed from quote.)
Wasn't that good anyway. 2 maybe 3 episodes that hit above "okay." Constantine not the kinda property DC should be aimimg for Agents of Shield tier with like come on brehs. Do better. 

benjipwns

« Reply #10872 on: February 14, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
I now read Constantine in Matt Ryan's voice.

Wasn't that good anyway.
Meet me somewhere.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
We'll watch Episodes.
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10873 on: February 14, 2015, 09:02:15 PM »
Matt Ryan was definitely one of the shows high points. Wouldn't mind seeing him again in the role.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10874 on: February 14, 2015, 09:48:53 PM »
time for people to realize nearly all of DC's cinematic ventures are going to bomb. Nobody cares about that shit. Suicide Squad and various d-tier Justice League side groups aren't going to work on film.

Kara

« Reply #10875 on: February 14, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
King Shark can save anything. Even Suicide Squad. Or in the nu-52 Not Suicide Squad.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10876 on: February 15, 2015, 01:05:01 AM »
Danger 5 Season 2 ended in the most insane fashion, my friends.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10877 on: February 15, 2015, 03:25:40 AM »
Been hopping between Girls and Broad City and both are hitting home-runs this season.

The latter's rapid fire jokes are great, but the best bits are some of the truly surreal scenes (underage bongs and Bingo Bronson) involving altered states of mind :lol

The former is still my favorite show on television, and the latest episode set up quite the drama bomb. Cute, ugly, funny, sad, awkward, and precious; this show is everything I want. Lena Dunham might as well be a young, female Woody Allen. At least she got the statutory out of the way before her career started :larry
SRY

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10878 on: February 15, 2015, 03:30:03 AM »
Been hopping between Girls and Broad City and both are hitting home-runs this season.

The latter's rapid fire jokes are great, but the best bits are some of the truly surreal scenes (underage bongs and Bingo Bronson) involving altered states of mind :lol

The former is still my favorite show on television, and the latest episode set up quite the drama bomb. Cute, ugly, funny, sad, awkward, and precious; this show is everything I want. Lena Dunham might as well be a young, female Woody Allen. At least she got the statutory out of the way before her career started :larry
Well they both share a passion for molesting young girls.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10879 on: February 15, 2015, 12:34:22 PM »
It'll be on Netflix eventually, as Season 1 is and its supremely popular. The show is over though, we won't be getting a third season.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10880 on: February 15, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
Supernatural season 7 - what a mess.  Basically they got fucked when they made Cas a buddy that can basically solve all their problems all the time and they've spent two season trying to undo that.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #10881 on: February 19, 2015, 03:09:44 AM »
Why do I keep making myself watch Parks? :kobeyuck
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10882 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:45 AM »
Watched that SNL anniversary thing. It was mostly disgusting Lorne Michaels brown nosing with some very few chuckles. Not worth a watch.
Thanks for warning me off. I’ve seen so much on the special lately that I’ve felt compelled to find it. Norm McDonald was stream-of-reminiscence-tweeting his recent history in making the show, and what it was like to work on that old Celebrity Jeopardy masterpiece.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

benjipwns

« Reply #10884 on: February 19, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »
Always Sunny  :lawd

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10885 on: February 19, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
I am so amazingly depressed by Harris Wittel's death.  He was such a fucking funny dude.  So sad that he had demons that he couldn't overcome.  His work on Comedy Bang Bang was amazing.
püp

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #10886 on: February 20, 2015, 05:56:45 AM »
Pff, yeah, that was a rough wake up this morning.
Suddenly my whole instagram and twitter feed was Harris.
brb

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10887 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »

curb is getting pretty boring in the last season :zzz
Agreed. Everything improved each season until the final one. It seemed to be coasting.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10888 on: February 21, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
Always sunny, pretty good

BEAK!...NO, no.    Regular chicken sandwich. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:13:34 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10889 on: February 21, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »
also

Speaks like Zeus.  Smells like poops.  Rage all over, from his head to his shoez. 
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10890 on: February 21, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
BANSHEE was amazing incredible last night. Unless you get motion sickness easily.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10891 on: February 21, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »
BANSHEE was amazing incredible last night. Unless you get motion sickness easily.

Great heist shot in an inventive way but the characters moments were really powerful as well. Even the stinger at the end.

benjipwns

« Reply #10892 on: February 21, 2015, 10:05:43 PM »
Always sunny, pretty good

BEAK!...NO, no.    Regular chicken sandwich.
I like how he stumbles over the "regular" like he's really struggling to get it out.

also

Speaks like Zeus.  Smells like poops.  Rage all over, from his head to his shoez. 
[close]
You mark my words. If you decide to get into Def Poetry, you are going to fail and bomb and gag and fail and bomb. It's... that's just... you know, but I don't care, man. That's cool. Do whatever you want, man. I-I'm a cool guy now, so... I'm gonna grab this laptop, I'm gonna go make a new ad for my awesome Range Rover, which I'm gonna sell, and then I'm gonna get myself an Alfa Romeo. You know? Just me and a babe. Just me and a babe. So, you guys do whatever you want.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10893 on: February 22, 2015, 12:37:54 AM »
Black Sails is awesome this season. Starz killing it with their shows. Hope Strike Back comes back soon though  :'(

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10894 on: February 22, 2015, 01:03:50 AM »

Great heist shot in an inventive way but the characters moments were really powerful as well. Even the stinger at the end.
The part where
Hood is seeing images of Siobhan everywhere was very Silent Hill 2.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10895 on: February 22, 2015, 05:49:34 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10896 on: February 22, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10897 on: February 24, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »
Watched the last season of South Park.

meh.

I'm not one of those guys who adores the early years and hates the later years. I think some of the later years have been very good. But this was probably one of the weakest seasons I can remember. The episodes were neither good as individual one off episodes which south park can do well nor were they good to me as "issue" related episodes which South Park can do well. But it never really clicked. There were individual funny jokes in episodes but no episodes stood as classics and in fact I found myself skipping through episodes because I knew I was going to have to suffer through a 3 minute bit when you could tell it wasn't funny 30 seconds in. I mean the big episode revolves around pewdiepie.

:comeon

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #10898 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
Well that's Parks I guess. Started awful, became an excellent absurdist ensemble comedy, and ended as a weepy drama.
zzzzz

« Reply #10899 on: February 25, 2015, 12:00:18 AM »
Watched that SNL anniversary thing. It was mostly disgusting Lorne Michaels brown nosing with some very few chuckles. Not worth a watch.

I think the biggest problem wasn't the Michaels love, it was the excessive number of music segments and non-cast-member segments. Kanye? WTH? And Seinfeld's bit was great but why the hell did a guest star get what seemed like the longest segment on the show? They should have really focused on the sketches and the cast members more.

cool breeze

« Reply #10900 on: February 25, 2015, 12:16:57 AM »
Well that's Parks I guess. Started awful, became an excellent absurdist ensemble comedy, and ended as a weepy drama.

sounds about right

« Reply #10901 on: February 25, 2015, 12:37:00 AM »
Forgot to add this classic piece from New York magazine about SNL. From the article, Michaels sounds like the worst kind of passive-aggressive, non-confrontational boss.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10902 on: February 25, 2015, 01:39:48 AM »
Parks ending, well I mean, it was fine, I guess

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10903 on: February 25, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »
Parks ending, well I mean, it was fine, I guess

Just to dove-tail of your guy's posts.

Yeah it's always an interesting thing to see something end that you have/had really fond memories of.

Seasons 2 thru 5 are up there with the best comedy shows of my lifetime. Just really great stuff. And its always easy to forgot how good a show was when its not ending near its highpoint (Easy example is Cheers) but I do want to just say again that it was really great (overall as a tv show evaluating its entire run). It was sweet. It was clever. It was weird. It was smart. It was just everything. Just phenomenal. Best comedy on television certainly during that point and as good as any of the greats.

Now the other side of the coin. Season 6 and 7 are just a hot mess. They lose sight of what made the show work for me. They start over-emphasizing the cast at the expense of the town as a character and they become super fixated on making sure that these characters are perfect and have perfect lives which was not at all the original draw for me. The finale is the culmination of the wrong direction that approach brings.

I can certainly see why some people liked it. Especially if you are somebody that liked the approach of the last two seasons.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/25/parks-and-recreation-one-last-ride-review

But it's very hard for me to believe that this is what you wanted in a finale if you were watching during Seasons 2-5. The final two seasons have been just a very long attempt to put the nicest bow on the prettiest package you could ever want. But I don't think that makes good comedy and I don't think that makes it true to what the show was for most of its run. If ever there was a show about the journey and not the destination it was this show and the finale is all the about the destination imo. It doesn't want to leave anything unbuttoned or up to our imagination which is fine for some people but not for me. Nothing about the finale is bad per se. It covers all the bases. There are some sweet moments. It's functionally fine. I just don't like it at all. I don't like that it doesn't leave my imagination anywhere to go. The much-hated Seinfeld finale is much more true to what I felt that show was about than this one. There are lots of better episodes in the show's history that I think would have made better and more poignant stopping points. The last season in particular and the finale felt like they were going through the motions on the creative side.

But whatever. In the long view I thought it was a great show and I'll gladly re-watch it at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:47:58 PM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #10904 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »
Forgot to add this classic piece from New York magazine about SNL. From the article, Michaels sounds like the worst kind of passive-aggressive, non-confrontational boss.
From Live From New York: An Uncensored History Of Saturday Night Live
"I think he picked the right profession," assesses Jane Curtin, "because he gets to lord over people who want to kneel at his feet and he doesn't acknowledge them-which makes them work harder."

benjipwns

« Reply #10905 on: February 26, 2015, 05:46:29 AM »
NOONE IS TURNING THEMSELVES INTO A GODDAMN CAT WITH MY MONEY

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10906 on: February 26, 2015, 11:21:40 AM »
Was home sick and powered through the final season of Sons of Anarchy :shaq2

Should've dropped it but I was too many seasons in before I realized it was a silly, not very good, show.
___

Beezy

« Reply #10907 on: February 26, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
I think it was a good show for at least the first 2 seasons.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10908 on: February 26, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
I think it was a good show for at least the first 2 seasons.

How I feel about it too. Once it dove into the IRA stuff and baby kidnapping it never recovered. Which was s3 IIRC.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10909 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
There's really no turning back from kidnapping getaway on a speedboat
___

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10910 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:18 PM »
fucking dammit I just started s4 and was hoping it'd get better. fuck it, I'm staying till the end
pcp

dkdk

« Reply #10911 on: February 26, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »
embrace the fuckery of the later seasons. SOA was a lot better when it tried to be entertaining instead of good. the shift happened after S4.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10912 on: February 26, 2015, 10:25:07 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10913 on: February 27, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »
I only watched the first two episodes. Decided if I needed gritty crime, I'd rather read an Elmore Leonard or Andrew Vacchs novel.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10914 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »
well that was a dark always sunny

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10915 on: February 28, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »
Finished Agent Carter.  I'd be very happy for a few more 8-episode seasons.

dkdk

« Reply #10916 on: February 28, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »
3 eps deep into the new House of Cards.

off to a much better start than S2.

dig the new dynamic of frank playing defense rather than offense.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10917 on: February 28, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
Its kind of ridiculous how good Banshee has been this season. This is literally a GOAT season of TV and not enough people are talking about it.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10918 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:02 PM »
Watching it at the time I thought it stayed good until the finale...?

I honestly can't remember if it took a mid-run dip, but if it did I'd recommend keeping on with it.
___

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10919 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:15 PM »
I started watching some of the post cancellation episodes of Futurama on Netflix and :-\

I thought Futurama was pretty decent although it got kind of wanky at the end of its original run.  I'll keep watching, maybe it gets better (halfway through Season 7 now).
🍆🍆