Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070694 times)

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11520 on: June 21, 2015, 11:39:46 PM »
Going through S2 of Silicon Valley with the GF.
It's consistently funny and I like a lot of the performances. Saw some King of the Hill talk in here so maybe I should check that out too (any other Mike Judge recs besides Office Space?).

It's one of the few shows we watch together since our tastes vary. I did get her into the Wire though and now she's 2 seasons ahead >:(

Females are incapable of honoring the tenets of coviewership :quark

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11521 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
Idiocracy is pretty essential viewing - it's a lot less consistent than his other stuff but it hit's some great highs.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:30:10 PM by Mamacint »
___

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11523 on: June 22, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
Well that sucks.  I blame PD and his hearing problems.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #11524 on: June 22, 2015, 05:15:19 PM »
Given that it's already started airing they might not have time to wrap it up all neat like. Watching it I thought a good ending to the series would be when Hannibal gets put in prison, so it would flow very easily into space the movies occupy (although there are obviously some large differences between the show and the films). Hope they at least do the Red Dragon case right.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11525 on: June 22, 2015, 05:56:48 PM »
Idiocracy is pretty essential viewing - it's a lot less consistent than his other stuff but it hit's some great highs.

Oh yeah, this was good but Fox really dicked him over on the budget.

I was one of those dinguses who took KotH at face value, assuming it was redneck low tier comedy. Of course I never watched it and didn't know who Judge was.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11526 on: June 22, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »
Given that it's already started airing they might not have time to wrap it up all neat like. Watching it I thought a good ending to the series would be when Hannibal gets put in prison, so it would flow very easily into space the movies occupy (although there are obviously some large differences between the show and the films). Hope they at least do the Red Dragon case right.

Apparently part of the problem is over wanting to introduce Clarice Starling to the show, with the rights being unavailable. It would have been something else (and in line with the Red Dragon book) to have Will on permanent sabbatical after wrapping that case.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #11527 on: June 22, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »
Fuller said this season has enough closure to be satisfying

maybe amazon or netflix will pick it up
sup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11528 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
Ya I can see why they did it.  The show works well because of the will/Hannibal dynamic.  Still sucks.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11529 on: June 22, 2015, 06:53:50 PM »
Looking for some starter pack animu recs. Haven't given the medium enough of a chance despite being a drawfeg and loving the animation.

Shows I've seen:

Outlaw Star - liked it, great setting, space pirates, never finished

Paranoia Agent - my fav of all these, never finished

Gundam Wing - liked it, team emo Trowa and Heavyarms, never finished

Tenchi in Tokyo - made me cry when I was 9, probably sucks and not sure if I ever finished it

Also seen some random DB and DBZ episodes over the years.

No moe :bolo :pacspit

Not a lot to work with. Thanks early 2000s Toonami.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #11530 on: June 22, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
you might find something in the anime thread: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=37475.0

Ghost in the Shell:SAC, Cowboy Bebop and Planetes are some nice sci-fi ones, off the top of my head.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11531 on: June 22, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »
A .5 in the demo is just so sad for a show like Hannibal. :(

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11532 on: June 22, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »
Looking for some starter pack animu recs. Haven't given the medium enough of a chance despite being a drawfeg and loving the animation.

Shows I've seen:

Outlaw Star - liked it, great setting, space pirates, never finished

Paranoia Agent - my fav of all these, never finished

Gundam Wing - liked it, team emo Trowa and Heavyarms, never finished

Tenchi in Tokyo - made me cry when I was 9, probably sucks and not sure if I ever finished it

Also seen some random DB and DBZ episodes over the years.

No moe :bolo :pacspit

Not a lot to work with. Thanks early 2000s Toonami.

Watch Gundam 0080 and 0083. They're short (like 13 eps each?) with good quality animation and if you get super into them just stick with Universal Century Gundam shows and you'll be alright for the most part.

A lot of the Tenchi ovas and stuff are still fun even when you're older. It's a harem franchise, you're not really supposed to take it seriously. Light stuff.

If you like Paranoia Agent, check out all of Satoshi Kon's shit.

Kind of a spoiler? but supposedly the back eight or so episodes of this season are all Red Dragon stuff. So if the show ends with this season they would have basically covered all the good books and the quality stuff from the bad ones.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11533 on: June 22, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »
What about subs vs dubs?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11534 on: June 22, 2015, 11:12:25 PM »
Finished the third season of Orange is the New Black. Nothing really important happened other than Bennets flashback but all the other loose threads were left as supposed cliff hangers.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
probably won't see Nicky again but I'm sure Stella the Aussie will be back as the new hatefuck-buddy for piper

Alex will live because star power is only enhanced during a cliff hanger

I already forgot the name of Dayas baby

[close]

In the last few episodes there was a rape, a birth, and an arabopean agent 47 but that all happened in the background of a panty smuggling ring. It makes no sense why the writers did that and I'll probably forget everything that happened when the next season starts.

Now I'm going to catch up on HBO shows. Will simultaneously watch veep, silicon valley, and game of thrones so that hopefully one of them is decent.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11535 on: June 22, 2015, 11:19:22 PM »
What about subs vs dubs?

Personal preference. Cowboy Bebop is one of the only shows I can think of where most ppl will be like "gotta watch it dubbed" though.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #11536 on: June 22, 2015, 11:50:17 PM »
Sucks to hear about Hannibal but I was surprised it got a third season. NBC :/
Hope it gets picked up again by Amazon.

Tasty

« Reply #11537 on: June 23, 2015, 12:42:02 AM »
Hellsing dubbed :aah

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11538 on: June 24, 2015, 01:05:43 AM »
Paranoia Agent  :lawd :lawd :lawd

First episode of Killjoys was pretty cool. Nothing groundbreaking but I enjoyed it.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11539 on: June 25, 2015, 04:05:11 AM »
Watched the first episode of Sense8.

I did not like it....

I'll give it a few more episodes as I assume The Wachowskis and Michael Straczynski when combined has to be something I would like.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:43:28 PM by Stoney Mason »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11540 on: June 25, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »
Watched the first episode pf Sense8.

I did not like it....

I'll give it a few more episodes as I assume The Wachowskis and Michael Straczynski when combined has to be something I would like.

I gave it two eps before declaring it awful. I just wanted to see some crazy kung fu but instead I got an even shittier Heroes.
zzzzz

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11541 on: June 25, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
Deadwood is a damn good show, but I stopped early S2. Is it worth finishing knowing it didn't get a proper send off?

Kinda killing my motivation to get more invested.
Seth and his boring ass make for a weak protagonist too, even worse when he's up against some of the best supporting characters.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11542 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »
I thought it was enjoyable throughout but yeah, not getting any real finish is a bummer.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11543 on: June 25, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »
I really likes S3, but I think I'm a minority on this one.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11544 on: June 25, 2015, 04:45:10 PM »
I don't think s3 is bad but it just really feels like a setup/groundwork season. Like s4 would have been crazy.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11545 on: June 25, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
Watched the first episode of Sense8.

I did not like it....

Sense8 hits its stride around Episode 4. The dialogue/plotting doesn't get much better, with a handful of exceptions, but there's definitely some really cool sequences beginning from then onward. Lito is awesome. So is Sun and Capheus.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11546 on: June 25, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »
I'd watch a whole show about a famous gay man, his lover and his beard. Does that exist? It sounds like it should already exist.
zzzzz

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11547 on: June 25, 2015, 06:33:25 PM »
S3 of Deadwood was a set up for a crazy S4 but then they cancelled it :stahp

Started watching Boardwalk Empire now.
🍆🍆

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11548 on: June 25, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
I'd watch a whole show about a famous gay man, his lover and his beard. Does that exist? It sounds like it should already exist.
Me too. And it doesn't.

Yet.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11549 on: June 25, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »
Will and Grace? :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11550 on: June 26, 2015, 06:46:31 AM »
USA renews Mr. Robot before its premiere, ending the Christian Slater curse

With today’s renewal hours before the series premiere, Slater ends his streak of starring in TV shows that never made it to a second season. USA opted to renew Mr. Robot because it 2.6 million views via digital platforms.
:ohhh

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11551 on: June 26, 2015, 06:54:33 AM »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11552 on: June 28, 2015, 02:27:05 PM »
Watched all 3 episodes of Dark Matter and I'm invested in it now. I like it more than Killjoys even

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11553 on: June 28, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
I really enjoyed the first episode of Mr. Robot, though I suspect it will be too difficult to maintain the "Is this real?" feeling from the Pilot.

Finished Defiance s2 yesterday. Is it possible they decided to bump their killing game this season due to Game of Thrones' popularity? I liked the overall story, but it's hard to believe that the technology they introduced would have been available during the initial invasion. If destructive and instantaneous terraforming weapons with lifeforms delivered alongside are part of the equation, why not use those planet-wide and then just move in afterward?

We're also berated by the enemy who wants to use the planet that we had thousands of years to use and revere this planet, but we ruined it, and that's why we're not worthy to keep our stewardship (or even live).

If I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt, I would say it's probably that a) the enemy is demonstrably insane, b) terraforming weapons were not plentiful enough to use in a widespread theater, c) the environmental damage done by humans prevents the terraforming from being used effectively/productively.

Still. I feel like when I watched Next Generation and had to figure out why the transporters don't work, or Guinan was suddenly unavailable for an episode (locked in a Holosuite, and Majel Barrett's computer voice won't let her out without performing Sister Act 2). Similarly, I like Defiance enough that I'm willing to at least try to cover up their missing bits of throwaway exposition.

Even so: Tommy. Man, Tommy had a rough fucking time on this show. Cast aside by the Mayor, kicked to the curb -- post marriage proposal no less -- by Irisa, and disrespected by Nolan. Finally he is possessed, abandoned, seduced, and killed by the AI possessing Irisa.

I liked Tommy. He'll be missed.
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11554 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:05 AM »
Been crap reality tv binging, Cutting It: In the ATL is my favorite right now. Mushiya :drool

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11555 on: June 30, 2015, 02:21:57 AM »
Defiance s3 opener.  :o :o :o
So we gained:
  • a daddy/daughter variant on '80's Buck Rogers' HAWK antihero characters, who look like Drow. Hey! They work in mines.
  • Sarah Connor
  • the Haint grandchild.
We lost:
  • Tommy, which was pretty much tear-jerky.
  • Olfin Tennety, E-REP from seasons 1 and 2 who had been a fantastically bitchy pain in the ass; written out really weakly
  • Kenya Rosewater mid-s2
  • Kenya Rosewater's Indogene doppleganger. Which was "meh." They're going to bring her back, despite giving her a 3 month lifespan. Or they may put her in the MMO, since it looks like she's headed for San Francisco.
  • Rafe McCawley
  • Quentin McCawley
  • Christie Mccauley -- HEY, that's ALL the McCawleys - they are ALL DEAD NOW
[close]

So, yeah. I guess the Hatfields and McCoys angle, which had grown pretty stale, is no longer in play.

The new Votani Collective bad guy is so utterly psychotic, I would have preferred more of the E-REP Machiavellian shenanigans with William Atherton, whiteface Haint fanboi. This new guy seems to be cut from the "look how CRAZY I am" school of leadership. They're going to run out of characters

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11556 on: June 30, 2015, 03:04:33 AM »
Defiance s3 opener.  :o :o :o
So we gained:
  • a daddy/daughter variant on '80's Buck Rogers' HAWK antihero characters, who look like Drow. Hey! They work in mines.
  • Sarah Connor
  • the Haint grandchild.
We lost:
  • Tommy, which was pretty much tear-jerky.
  • Olfin Tennety, E-REP from seasons 1 and 2 who had been a fantastically bitchy pain in the ass; written out really weakly
  • Kenya Rosewater mid-s2
  • Kenya Rosewater's Indogene doppleganger. Which was "meh." They're going to bring her back, despite giving her a 3 month lifespan. Or they may put her in the MMO, since it looks like she's headed for San Francisco.
  • Rafe McCawley
  • Quentin McCawley
  • Christie Mccauley -- HEY, that's ALL the McCawleys - they are ALL DEAD NOW
[close]

So, yeah. I guess the Hatfields and McCoys angle, which had grown pretty stale, is no longer in play.

The new Votani Collective bad guy is so utterly psychotic, I would have preferred more of the E-REP Machiavellian shenanigans with William Atherton, whiteface Haint fanboi. This new guy seems to be cut from the "look how CRAZY I am" school of leadership. They're going to run out of characters

I think they may have slashed the shows budget so I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the last season. They're going real hard on the deaths and making Irisa and Nolan just really nasty in general.

At this point I feel like they want you to root for Mayor and Stahma more than anyone else.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11557 on: June 30, 2015, 03:17:59 AM »
I think they may have slashed the shows budget so I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the last season. They're going real hard on the deaths and making Irisa and Nolan just really nasty in general.

At this point I feel like they want you to root for Mayor and Stahma more than anyone else.

That'd be a hard sell for me. I can't stand either of them because of the actresses; I didn't like them in Dexter, and I don't like them here. Stahma's "calm voice" as poker tell when she's actually in damage control mode is a device which has begun to grate on me, and Julie Benz just seems unsympathetic All The Time.

If Defiance gets canceled, I'll be sad, but probably just use the time on my Farscape collection, which still has 3 seasons on Blu-Ray to go.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #11558 on: June 30, 2015, 03:20:48 AM »
Got 2 episodes left of sopranos.  :goty2

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11559 on: June 30, 2015, 03:39:50 AM »
Last season of soppie felt loooooooong but then everyone gets shot.

One thing I loved about the show was how cold, messy, and "amateur" the hits usually were in that series. It's like killing people actually felt unnatural for whoever had to carry it out since they're basically just regular people.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #11561 on: July 01, 2015, 08:05:13 PM »
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11562 on: July 01, 2015, 08:07:14 PM »
the first episode is online

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #11563 on: July 01, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »
Ettv used to have their own site that got shut down not too long ago, pretty sure it's not just one person.

Freyj

« Reply #11564 on: July 01, 2015, 11:14:35 PM »
ettv got shutdown? end of an era

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11565 on: July 02, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »
'red-green grumble'  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11566 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56:51 AM »

TONES ON TAIL and OINGO BOINGO. It's like they're making the show just for me. :swoon

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11567 on: July 02, 2015, 01:01:58 AM »
fucking fart cloud carpet store motherfucker

Quaker

« Reply #11568 on: July 03, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »

:bow David Wain :bow2

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11569 on: July 03, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
God I can't wait
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11570 on: July 03, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
Rick and Morty season 2 episode 1 and 2 where really great.  I realized this show is to Doctor Who as Always Sunny is to Seinfeld. 

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11571 on: July 03, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
Rick and Morty season 2 episode 1 and 2 where really great.  I realized this show is to Doctor Who as Always Sunny is to Seinfeld. 

I loved it so fucking much. So many great concepts being thrown at you at such a quick pace.
The fucking brutality with which Rick rips into Morty. I feel like the show is getting slightly darker with each episode.

And then there's small delights like Krombopulos Michael. Oh boy, here I go killing again!
brb

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #11572 on: July 03, 2015, 04:56:20 PM »
Mr.Robot :leon It's pretty good.
reckt

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11573 on: July 04, 2015, 12:08:00 AM »
Have started watching Archer and I dig it. I think they pull off really well the timeless aspect of it. Great fun but maybe a tad too derivative and vulgar in the long run. Also not a fan of the whole CG-flash mish mash look. Jessica Walter is so great tough...

I'm just wrapping up Hannibal's first season, and am still enjoying the cinematography and character interaction between the three male leads, but its existence in an alternate universe where serial killers are more common than postal workers is starting to wear on me.

Isn't that a lot of shows and movies though ? I'm bothered by it too.

Cowboy Bebop has already been mentioned and I second it. Would also vouch for Dirty Pair (the TV series or the Project EDEN OAV), it's old school so not bathing in modern trappings, funny, self contained and decent pulp sci fi. Outlaw Star is the Albator/Harlock spin off ? If you liked it try Galaxy Express 999 (haven't seen it myself but heard a lot of good things) or the original series. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is good too. Finish watching Paranoia Agent, it's worth it. For movies : Akira, Roujin Z, Ghost in the Shell, as someone said all Satoshi Kon movies, you also probably can't go wrong with any Ghibli movie as well (I like Laputa and Nausicaa especially).

Avoid all long running series with heroes getting power ups (DBZ, Seint Seiya, etc...) at first. Always favor subs.
ὕβρις

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11574 on: July 04, 2015, 01:23:16 AM »
Is Buffy popular with the gay community? :fabulous

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11575 on: July 04, 2015, 01:28:08 AM »
Yeah, Mr. Robot was pretty awesome.

Still loving Killjoys and Dark Matter on Syfy. Are Dominion and Defiance worth catching up?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11576 on: July 04, 2015, 01:34:51 AM »
Mr. Robot is weird in the sense that it really straddles the line between good and corny/over the top. Kinda reminds me of EU/British shows in that regard. Like any time it gets to be almost too much it immediately goes very self-aware ord does something really sharp to tip the balance.

EDIT: Dominion is a garbage show even by garbage tier standards. If there is one show on syfy I would never recommend someone it's dominion.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:39:59 AM by toku »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11577 on: July 04, 2015, 01:41:14 AM »
Well damn  :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11578 on: July 04, 2015, 01:45:03 AM »
I've seen every episode and im in too deep to not finish when s2 starts but im not proud. It's just a bad cheese sandwich but the female best friend who is also in love with main dude is hot:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0257188/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

Tasty

« Reply #11579 on: July 04, 2015, 01:46:47 AM »
Is Buffy popular with the gay community? :fabulous

Probably had the most prominent and "who gives a shit, it's normal" attitude for a lesbian couple on TV ever. And this was 15 years ago, on the fucking WB.

Also the musical episode was fabulous.