Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2071072 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11700 on: August 16, 2015, 02:04:22 AM »
Just started The Knick, it's pretty good (two episodes in) but hasn't blown me away.

Hoping the black doctor bangs that rich chick :obama

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11701 on: August 16, 2015, 03:41:33 AM »
Just started The Knick, it's pretty good (two episodes in) but hasn't blown me away.

really great show made even better when you read bts stuff about how much of a mad man soderbergh is

He shoots the whole thing in like a month then edits it all himself. Basically any of the crazy moving stuff they do might not seem impressive at first, but then you realize they really only get like 2-3 tries at it before he moves on.

Side note: I watch a lot of violent media but The Knick really makes me uncomfortable.

Definitely finish out the season PD before you bail or write it off.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11702 on: August 16, 2015, 05:16:15 AM »
Watched the first episode of Mr. Robot. Was very good. Very film-like the way it was shot. In fact it was so good, it worries me that it can't keep up that pacing level and would be better off as just a short mini-series but that was just my initial thought.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11703 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »

He does.  You get to see her tits.

I stop at episode 8 or 9 for some reason.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11704 on: August 16, 2015, 05:03:23 PM »
That's right before the best episodes of the season, too.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11705 on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
Watched a couple more eps of The Knick. Dr. Black Batman is easily the best character :rejoice

But I've changed my mind. I'd rather see him bang the southern nurse instead of the rich chick.

the Health Inspector :lawd

Cleary is a savage :neogaf :whew

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #11706 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Rewatching Rome. After all the shit that's come out afterwards, still holds the test of time.

Real sets  :lawd

studyguy

« Reply #11707 on: August 17, 2015, 01:10:23 PM »
Watched Mr. Robinson simply because I liked that dude Craig Robinson in the Office and some other shit.
It's boring af though.  :-\
pause

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11708 on: August 17, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »
Finally finished True Detective S2 - actually should say I finally *watched* it, since I went through the last 5 episodes over the weekend.

It was reaalllly flawed and messy but I ended up really liking a lot of it in the end. Hope it gets a Season 3, but also hope HBO gives him the equivalent of a book editor. One auteur director to film the whole season wouldn't hurt either.

Vince Vaughn came through in the end, his was the only character that really stood up to the legacy of Rust and Marty

___

studyguy

« Reply #11709 on: August 18, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »

See a lot of pushback on the dude.
Quite frankly I don't really care one way or another. The writing team is the one who did the work on the Daily Show anyway.
:yeshrug
pause

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11710 on: August 18, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11711 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »
So, Z Nation was actually pretty good right? That was the impression I got whenever it was discussed. About to download it if so

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11712 on: August 18, 2015, 10:33:15 PM »
So, Z Nation was actually pretty good right? That was the impression I got whenever it was discussed. About to download it if so

It's pretty typical fare for The Asylum: it has all kinds of cheese where you want it, giblets where you expect them, cornball dialog, no-name or sibling-of-named-actors, and it stays mostly internally consistent. I've only seen three or four episodes, but I do keep going back to it.

It's more enjoyable than Walking Dead, at least.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11713 on: August 18, 2015, 11:25:50 PM »
The Knick is a great show, 7 episodes down.

Have no idea, but it feels like the writers and Soderbergh know their shit medically. Everything seems real grounded and authentic for the early 1900s.

That said, I'm glad they said fuck no to period music and went with a dope synth heavy soundtrack :jawalrus

The show experiments with some interesting shots and is fast paced unlike the slog of Boardwalk Empire.

Cocaine :lawd

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11714 on: August 19, 2015, 01:19:17 AM »

best thing asylum has done to date
guy who did universal soldier day of reckoning did a bunch of episodes
loads of fun

Also, Knick s2 promo for when y'all are done with s1 (it's small and lowkey, i dont think it really spoils anything either if you get tempted):
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

and here are some great production articles:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/pressplay/of-scalpels-and-synthesizers-the-music-of-the-knick-20140919

http://www.indiewire.com/article/9-biggest-behind-the-scenes-revelations-from-the-knick-anatomy-of-a-series-20150722

And when asked if something "made sense" in Episode 4, Soderbergh got a little esoteric: "Setting aside the fact that 'making sense' is not only subjective but overrated, I have executed this note."
:lawd
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:25:25 AM by toku »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11715 on: August 19, 2015, 02:42:21 AM »
Episode 5 of The Knick was really good. The individual stories are flowing well now and I no longer feel like one or the other is lagging. Storytelling wise I enjoy how much they're doing without it ever feeling like just a period piece+hospital drama. The stuff with Cleary and the nurse could be a seperate show in of itself.

Really liked the xray scene. Reminded me of the first time I saw digital xrays at my old job. That leap from the somewhat slow, cumbersome physical xrays to immediate digital ones wowed me at the time.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11716 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:09 AM »
I was watching The Boondocks on netflix only to notice that some episodes were missing(most noticeably the Tyler Perry one) and got very frustrated with that. Decided to search online to make sure I'm not crazy, now I find out that they changed a joke and maybe others in Futurama, which was incidentally the show I put on after getting annoyed with The Boondocks episode thing  :lol

I'm still going to watch Futurama on this, same for Boondocks. But this is annoying as fuck. Decided to check Hulu because they added every AS show there, or at least they said so cause the Boondocks isn't on there at all  :lol

What the fuck streaming services?

:leon

Might get me to bite then.

Some Google searching says it's these shows:

Adult Swim's Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, Sealab 2021, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Rick and Morty, Black Jesus, NTSF:SD:SUV, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Dexter's Laboratory, Robot Chicken, The Venture Bros., Adventure Time and Regular Show

Not bad, but not everything either.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11717 on: August 19, 2015, 04:02:40 AM »
Show Me A Hero has the potential of being David Simon's other best work outside of The Wire.

Himu

« Reply #11718 on: August 19, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
THERE IS TOO MUCH TV TO WATCH. Jesus fuck. I have television backlogs at this point. All y'all posting these shows like The Knick and now there's a new David Simon show and I'm just :mindblown Good Lord. And now there's a Patrick Stewart show premiering this weekend and I want to finish every Star Trek series. It's like to catch up on tv these days you have to quit every other hobby. Holy fuck.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:10:23 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #11719 on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
The show experiments with some interesting shots and is fast paced unlike the slog of Boardwalk Empire.

:bolo

Boardwalk Empire is a slow paced show, but the payoffs are excellent and the cast is great. One of the last great HBO shows before shit became very average.
OH!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11720 on: August 19, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
THERE IS TOO MUCH TV TO WATCH. Jesus fuck. I have television backlogs at this point. All y'all posting these shows like The Knick and now there's a new David Simon show and I'm just :mindblown Good Lord. And now there's a Patrick Stewart show premiering this weekend and I want to finish every Star Trek series. It's like to catch up on tv these days you have to quit every other hobby. Holy fuck.

It really is pretty crazy the amount of good TV right now.  Remember the 00's when the only thing on was reality shows?

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11721 on: August 19, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »

:bolo

Boardwalk Empire is a slow paced show, but the payoffs are excellent and the cast is great. One of the last great HBO shows before shit became very average.

I saw it through to the end and overall really liked it. Stuck with it for so long because it's a great show. That last season really needed a few more episodes, but I was satisfied with what was shown. The show does have some of the best payoffs and it's because it's so slow and deliberate.

That said, some scenes were a chore to get through whereas The Knick never seems to linger too long and has a noticeably faster pace.

Himu

« Reply #11722 on: August 19, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »

It really is pretty crazy the amount of good TV right now.  Remember the 00's when the only thing on was reality shows?

Read this.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/peak-tv-in-america-is-there-really-too-much-good-scripted-television

And this

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/peak-tv-in-america-is-there-really-too-much-good-scripted-television
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11723 on: August 19, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Alan Sepinwall one of my favorite tv critics. Glad he put Unreal in the banner. It's on Lifetime but it's a great show. Always great seeing more shows with female leads that are psychopaths/savages for a change.

Himu

« Reply #11724 on: August 19, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
Season 2 > 1 > 3 for sure
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11725 on: August 19, 2015, 04:33:39 PM »

See a lot of pushback on the dude.
Quite frankly I don't really care one way or another. The writing team is the one who did the work on the Daily Show anyway.
:yeshrug

The hate for this dude is astounding and the show hasn't even started yet.

It seems a bit ridiculous, but I can't help but feel there's a racial component to it. :beli

You mean people are upset about an articulate dude with African roots taking a job traditionally held by white men?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11726 on: August 20, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11727 on: August 20, 2015, 05:14:42 PM »
Stewart had good delivery and he knew how to make the whole thing seems alive. He became so tied to the show that honestly I'm not sure I'll follow the new Daily Show with the same interest, but best of luck to Noah.

Watched Sherlock season 3. As always it is a good show and the only real fault with it is all those flashy editing effects which are really overdone. Also I suppose in a sense the overall narrative was a tad predictable and the climax seemed a bit forced, like Sherlock is tremendously slow there.

Also watched the first episode of the Fargo series. I dunno, it's a classic case of the aesthetics being downgraded a bit from the film. I fear the story will get all messed up because of the format, not unlike Twin Peaks (there's some of that here, without the bizarre) but I'm ready to see more.
ὕβρις

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #11728 on: August 20, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
Sherlock Season 3 is so bad :(
vin

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11729 on: August 20, 2015, 05:17:42 PM »

So, what bothered you ?
I think the very short format was maybe not best suited for what they did there. A lot of the first episode is basically there to bring Sherlock back.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11730 on: August 20, 2015, 05:37:08 PM »
Meh I liked season 3.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11731 on: August 20, 2015, 05:39:33 PM »
season 3 was bad but they got me to look forward to season 4, those sonsabitches
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11732 on: August 20, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
The Knick...

Barrow's sexual fetish :dead

brehs can I share my theory on this. My brother did not appreciate it at all but maybe the Bore will understand

I'd bet that when he was a child he lived in a flea infested ghetto or some shit, and often saw his siblings including his sister taking off their clothes due to fleas. His fetish is the product of fantasizing about his sister as a child.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11733 on: August 20, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
Well that is a bit of a leap.  Sounds like you might like to write the editor of Intouch magazine. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11734 on: August 21, 2015, 12:01:52 AM »
Another good R&M.  Great idea (though execution wore a bit thin) and goes dark again.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11735 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:32 AM »
"I give sleeping with your teacher 5 stars"

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11736 on: August 21, 2015, 12:29:28 AM »
"I give sleeping with your teacher 5 stars"

:lol :lol That was such a good episode.
zzzzz

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11737 on: August 21, 2015, 01:00:02 AM »
episode 7 of The Knick

Syph

« Reply #11738 on: August 21, 2015, 01:07:28 AM »
episode 7 of The Knick

(Image removed from quote.)

glad you're enjoying it
you started up just in time for the season 2 hype train
XO

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #11739 on: August 21, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
Major Mr. Robot spoilers.  Do not click if you haven't watched.  Also you really SHOULD watch.

Ok, so it's somewhat comical how heavily this episode leaned in on Fight Club.  Not just the predictable Durden-esque reveal (which the show thankfully acknowledges as predictable), but the Pixies song playing at the end while the plan to ostensibly "blow up" the global financial system is explained to a newcomer.  And of course the cinematography has been Fincher all over from the start.  That being said, I thought the last few minutes were beautiful despite it's lack of originality, I am glad the Mr. Robot reveal is out of the way, and I'm excited to see what this new "business partnership" actually means for the show. Still so impressed with some of the risks the script-writers have been willing to take.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11740 on: August 21, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »
I was watching The Boondocks on netflix only to notice that some episodes were missing(most noticeably the Tyler Perry one) and got very frustrated with that. Decided to search online to make sure I'm not crazy, now I find out that they changed a joke and maybe others in Futurama, which was incidentally the show I put on after getting annoyed with The Boondocks episode thing  :lol

I'm still going to watch Futurama on this, same for Boondocks. But this is annoying as fuck. Decided to check Hulu because they added every AS show there, or at least they said so cause the Boondocks isn't on there at all  :lol

What the fuck streaming services?

There's a good lesson there : Artistic content will often be altered for whatever reason and contrary to some handwaving often read in discussions about special cuts for movies, the original may not be easily available (or not available at all). We often have this image of art products being done in their one and definitive state at one point, but it is often not true.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11741 on: August 22, 2015, 04:48:42 AM »

So, what bothered you ?
I think the very short format was maybe not best suited for what they did there. A lot of the first episode is basically there to bring Sherlock back.
Meh I liked season 3.
season 3 was bad but they got me to look forward to season 4, those sonsabitches

I giggled and clapped through Sherlock s3, but it's not as good as the first two seasons. It's more self-referential; it knows too well what it is as a series on its own, as opposed to being referential to the original material. It also seemed to turn up the volume on the postproduction effects, as you've noted.

My money is that season 4 will go further in that direction. It'll still be fun, but it won't be as great as the first two.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11742 on: August 22, 2015, 05:55:19 AM »
I would put that at the feet of expected fatigue, there's only so much you can extract from the concept (unless turning it into a straight "cop" drama). The extreme season 2 cliffhanger wouldn't pay off ever (I don't mind, but I can get why people would be let down by either the solution that could never live up or glossing over the practical details would feel a bit cheated) and the S3 cliffhanger has shades of the series getting over convoluted and pandering to its own past. Also S3 struggled a bit, the whole supervillain thing was undercooked, maybe also trying to speed up the character development at the expense of the stories. I liked what they did with the Sherlock-Mycroft dynamic though.

EDIT : Reflecting on the last episode of S3, it definitely doesn't hold up to scrutiny and the writing is lazy there.

Fargo was pretty good. I read somewhere the series may be a counterpoint of the recent trends of having twisted protagonists (Dexter, Hannibal, Breaking Bad...) but whatever the intent it was refreshing to have genuinely good people being heroes and monstrous killers being shown for what they are. Memorable characters, good performances and I liked that the show opened some ultimately meaningless avenues or loose ends to emphazise how luck based and chaotic those extreme scenarios are.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:23:33 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11743 on: August 22, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »
Went through Bojack season two.  I liked the first season (apparently the consensus was mixed on it) but the show really came into its own this season.  Glad to hear that another season will be made.
🍆🍆

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11744 on: August 23, 2015, 03:52:11 AM »
Started watching Silicon Valley. Not bad. My favorite moment so far:

:heart
[close]
AMC

Syph

« Reply #11745 on: August 23, 2015, 05:40:10 AM »

[close]
Season 1 finale GOAT episode
XO

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11746 on: August 23, 2015, 05:58:31 AM »

[close]
Season 1 finale GOAT episode

co-sign
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11747 on: August 23, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »
The Knick is getting dark as fuck :whoo

episode 9
Can't help but think Dr. Black Batman (not to be confused with Gay Batman from True Detective S2) fucked up, to an almost unrealistic level. How he went from a level headed realist to banging a white chick, getting her pregnant, and then thinking he could elope with her baffles the mind. Not to mention the ridiculous nature of her coming to his black neighborhood and waltzing into his room, after taking a carriage there btw. I'm not sensing a proper level of discretion.

Man...when Birdie finds out about the nurse and Thackery... :tocry

Gallanger's wife :kobeyuck
[close]

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #11748 on: August 23, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Saw the finale last night :kobeyuck

Great show. Ready for S2.

Yulwei

« Reply #11749 on: August 23, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Keeping up with and greatly enjoying Rick and Morty S2 & Dark Matter. I like how every episode in S2 of Rick and Morty so far has ended up with a character breaking down one way or another.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11750 on: August 27, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »
Major Mr. Robot spoilers.  Do not click if you haven't watched.  Also you really SHOULD watch.

Ok, so it's somewhat comical how heavily this episode leaned in on Fight Club.  Not just the predictable Durden-esque reveal (which the show thankfully acknowledges as predictable), but the Pixies song playing at the end while the plan to ostensibly "blow up" the global financial system is explained to a newcomer.  And of course the cinematography has been Fincher all over from the start.  That being said, I thought the last few minutes were beautiful despite it's lack of originality, I am glad the Mr. Robot reveal is out of the way, and I'm excited to see what this new "business partnership" actually means for the show. Still so impressed with some of the risks the script-writers have been willing to take.
[close]

And then there's this:
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/mr-robot-live-tv-killings-virginia-1201579137/

Steve Contra

« Reply #11751 on: August 27, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
Man, the second season of Danger 5 is terrible.  The dropoff in quality is amazing.
vin

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11752 on: August 27, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
Man, the second season of Danger 5 is terrible.  The dropoff in quality is amazing.

I thought so as well, but people seemed to really like it?
zzzzz

Steve Contra

« Reply #11753 on: August 27, 2015, 02:22:34 PM »
It's just loads of unconnected references strung together that aren't funny.  It's not quite Family Guy bad, but it's going for the same audience.
vin

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11754 on: August 27, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »
The last R&M kinda got a bit family guyish too.  Wasn't too happy with it. 

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11755 on: August 27, 2015, 03:29:48 PM »
R&M has a lot of leeway after those episodes before it.
brb

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11756 on: August 27, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
The last R&M kinda got a bit family guyish too.  Wasn't too happy with it.

I didn't care for it either but there were some episodes in the first season I also thought were of lesser quality. The idea was funny. It just didn't execute it extremely well.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11757 on: August 27, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »
Danger 5 S2 was fucking hilarious.

Steve Contra

« Reply #11758 on: August 27, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
Nah, it's terrible.
vin

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11759 on: August 27, 2015, 06:16:45 PM »
Danger 5 S2 was fucking hilarious.

I think so too. I lowkey prefer the 80s style too. Poor Jackson lmao