Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070928 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11760 on: August 27, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »
nah

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11761 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
Ennnnh... feel like I'm about done with The Strain, and can't get the gumption to watch Defiance now that I've got 4 episodes backlogged. Both shows have lost what was pulling me in, and just feel like a drag.

True Detective s2 was better than I expected. Also managed to see why McAdams continues to get work; she can act, when she's given the chance. Who knew? Vaughn did a better job than you guys had described, though there were about three really bad patches which were on Pizzolato and whatever director was on duty that day.

I need to go back to Penny Dreadful s2; I didn't notice anyone here really liked it much though.

Apparently I can watch Brooklyn Nine Nine almost every day and laugh at the jokes all over again.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11762 on: August 28, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
Hannibal is over. Great ending.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11763 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
You guys weren't joking about the Silicon Valley S1 finale. I was fucking dying.
AMC

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11764 on: August 28, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
Ennnnh... feel like I'm about done with The Strain, and can't get the gumption to watch Defiance now that I've got 4 episodes backlogged. Both shows have lost what was pulling me in, and just feel like a drag.

True Detective s2 was better than I expected. Also managed to see why McAdams continues to get work; she can act, when she's given the chance. Who knew? Vaughn did a better job than you guys had described, though there were about three really bad patches which were on Pizzolato and whatever director was on duty that day.

I need to go back to Penny Dreadful s2; I didn't notice anyone here really liked it much though.

Apparently I can watch Brooklyn Nine Nine almost every day and laugh at the jokes all over again.

I love PD. It and Hannibal are/were  my favorite airing shows.
Hannibal is over. Great ending.
Definitely. Not mad about it not getting picked up at all.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11765 on: August 29, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »
I ripped through S2 of Silicon Valley and Richard was annoying the living fuck outta me. The show has the same issue as Orange is the New Black when it comes to the main character being the worst/most unlikeable (yes, Richard is worse than Erlich). Episode 8 was the nadir, with Richard constantly shitting all over himself. BUT, the last two episodes were fucking fantastic.
AMC

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11766 on: August 30, 2015, 03:42:30 AM »
TJ Miller and rest of the supportiing cast do all the heavy lifting yea

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11767 on: August 30, 2015, 03:45:56 AM »
Watched the first part of Show Me a Hero and it's sooooo good. Oscar Isaac is like the best actor getting regular work these days.
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #11768 on: August 30, 2015, 04:10:09 AM »
Watched the first part of Show Me a Hero and it's sooooo good. Oscar Isaac is like the best actor getting regular work these days.

Apocalypse :rejoice

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11769 on: August 30, 2015, 04:16:53 AM »

Apocalypse :rejoice

Some guy named Poe in Star Wars :rejoice
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11770 on: August 30, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »
Bald man from robot movie :rejoice

Oscar Isaac rules.
zzzzz

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11771 on: August 30, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
Watched like the first 4 episodes of Wet Hot American Summer. meh.

There are some laughs but mostly as I watch I just kind of wonder who asked for this.

The movie was a fun enough little throwaway from its day but I never was begging for more of it.

But then I've always been mixed on a lot of the Showalter/Wain stuff.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11772 on: August 30, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
Narcos is really good. I watched the entire season in one sitting yesterday. I wish they would have opened the scope a bit to show how what was going on affected the rest of Latin America but I can see why they didn't. Damn good show though.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11773 on: August 30, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
Watched Show Me a Hero part 2. Still fucking amazing. My thought through the whole thing was "this is probably what Crash would've been if it handled its themes with any class." Then I saw Paul Haggis' director credit  :lol
zzzzz

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11774 on: August 30, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
I just finished Narcos too. I loved it but I didn't think it was going to be a multiseason thing until the end. The reason they focused on Columbia is probably because it can show the battle between law enforcement/DEA and just plain criminals. Who normally would sit in shadows unless they get to the point where they have enough resources to threaten the state. "Plata o plumo" must have been said a hundred times.

Wish my Spanish was good enough to follow without subtitles tho, it's the only American show I can think of where half the dialogue was in Spanish.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11775 on: August 30, 2015, 11:47:29 PM »
Watched Show Me a Hero part 2. Still fucking amazing. My thought through the whole thing was "this is probably what Crash would've been if it handled its themes with any class." Then I saw Paul Haggis' director credit  :lol
It gets even better. I'm about to watch the last two parts now.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11776 on: August 31, 2015, 12:01:25 AM »
It gets even better. I'm about to watch the last two parts now.

Just binged 3 and 4. Might just stay up late and watch 5 and 6. Best new TV of 2015 so far.
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11777 on: August 31, 2015, 12:13:45 AM »
Binged Silicon Valley this weekend.  Really good.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11778 on: August 31, 2015, 03:39:47 AM »
Finished Show Me a Hero. Super satisfying. Oscar Isaac's going to win stuff. Maybe Catherine Keener and Alfred Molina too.
zzzzz

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11779 on: August 31, 2015, 05:21:13 AM »
SMAH's ending gutted me. Then I watched Rick and Morty and laughed my ass off for a while. Fantastic episode.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11780 on: August 31, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »
Holy shit R&M was excellent.  This might become the best scifi show of all time at this rate. 

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11781 on: August 31, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »
They're creating a huge world this season, it's great.
brb

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11782 on: August 31, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »
I love how far they can push concepts when one of their major themes are that life is so abundant that it has very little value and that consequences are often very unpredictable. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11783 on: September 02, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
Complications cancelled, Matt Nix's got no luck after Burn Notice.

Castle Season Eight Promo:

:obama

Mr. Robot season finale tonite.  I expect: :gladbron :goty2 :holeup :mindblown :noah :ohhh :stahp :phil :crazy

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #11784 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:41 PM »
Watched that Colbert video about Jeb (it's in the politics thread) and was pretty impressed.  I didn't even like The Colbert Report that much but the dude has great delivery and will have the fortitude to put his own guests on blast.  It made me think of Fallon's freshman run and how people (and by people I mean Willco, pbuh) were saying that he just needed time to warm up...and he still fucking sucks.

dkdk

« Reply #11785 on: September 03, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »

Mr. Robot season finale tonite.  I expect: :gladbron :goty2 :holeup :mindblown :noah :ohhh :stahp :phil :crazy

it was a whole lot of  :what

Bebpo

« Reply #11786 on: September 03, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »
Almost done with S1 of The Knick and it's like the best fucking show ever that no one cares about.  Seriously, I keep telling everyone I know how awesome it is and they're like "yeah I'll watch it someday" or "I watched the first ep and wasn't interested" etc...etc...  I dunno it's been a while since I saw the first couple of eps (watched them when they aired, but couldn't access the show and see the rest until it got on HBO Go like 2 weeks ago) so maybe it starts a bit slow.  But by ep4 or 5 all the characters and their arcs are great and the directing, acting, cinematography and BEST.MUSIC.EVER just makes every ep like A+++

Right now True Detective S1 and this are the best TV shows I've seen.  I look forward to the future where more TV seasons are directed by a single director with a strong vision, because these are basically 8-10 hour awesome movies and I prefer that to normal TV shows with their ups and downs.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11787 on: September 03, 2015, 04:23:26 AM »
modern soderbergh goes so hard

It's not a tv show but I definitely recommend Behind the Candelabra as well and iirc it should be on hbogo

Side Effects is crazy, Contagion is good and I loved Haywire. Michael Mann and Soderbergh are a few of the only directors that have a good attitude about digital imo. Don't treat it like film at all and try to create a new visual language.

Bebpo

« Reply #11788 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm a big Soderbergh fan.  Only a few times he's ever done me wrong, mainly his Solaris remake and Oceans Twelve was kind of lame.  Otherwise he's done like 2 dozen great films and all his recent output, like everything you named has been top notch.  He's been on top of his game for years, so I'm glad he ended up doing TV with The Knick rather than retiring and becoming a painter. 

Him, Fincher, and PT Anderson were all on par back in the day, but modern Fincher has gotten kind of conventional whereas Soderbergh still makes artsy awesome stuff.  Even Magic Mike which was his most mainstream pic outside of the Oceans series, had that good Soderbergh hard reality angle to it even if it was more of Soderbergh-lite.  PT Anderson's stuff is still good (gotta see inherent vice) but he's been going too far into the art direction and forgetting to make the films entertaining too (just going by The Master).  Soderbergh is the one whose hitting on both notes.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11789 on: September 03, 2015, 05:02:10 AM »
Ppl were really hard on Inherent Vice but even having read the book prior I still loved it. I tell people to treat it more like a really really good mixtape. Don't expect it to totally make sense, expect some weird tonal shifts every now and then just enjoy the ride. Loved it a lot actually. Just a lot of great moments.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11790 on: September 03, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
The Knick is great. It just gets better and better, and the plot development is quite effortless. A show like that could have very easily relied on some boring or generic side plots to pad time. Instead the show says fuck that and gives you

(Read after you've seen two or three eps)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
A nun and Irish motherfucker performing abortions
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #11791 on: September 03, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »
dat street encounter with the wife scene  :whew

benjipwns

« Reply #11792 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:31 AM »
Also apparently there was tons of we'll find out in ten months season two setup because the show's been adapted from a film screenplay and this was the end of act one.
Darlene was the one behind the mask speech, I think, same words she says later at the party...seems to know more about what's going on than the others
[close]
Using previously on for fakeouts? Or setups? Popcorn machine gun...
[close]
Whiterose at the end  :holeup
[close]

I don’t know who you think you’re taking to, but I’ll try the Pradas next.
[close]

Just noticed BLUNT TALK with Patrick Stewart started.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:48:46 AM by benjipwns »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11793 on: September 03, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »
Holy shit R&M was excellent.  This might become the best scifi show of all time at this rate.

I watched the first four eps of s2 today, and was just surprised at its inventiveness. It's also unapologetically bleak.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11794 on: September 03, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »
Almost done with S1 of The Knick and it's like the best fucking show ever that no one cares about.  Seriously, I keep telling everyone I know how awesome it is and they're like "yeah I'll watch it someday" or "I watched the first ep and wasn't interested" etc...etc...  I dunno it's been a while since I saw the first couple of eps (watched them when they aired, but couldn't access the show and see the rest until it got on HBO Go like 2 weeks ago) so maybe it starts a bit slow.  But by ep4 or 5 all the characters and their arcs are great and the directing, acting, cinematography and BEST.MUSIC.EVER just makes every ep like A+++

Right now True Detective S1 and this are the best TV shows I've seen.  I look forward to the future where more TV seasons are directed by a single director with a strong vision, because these are basically 8-10 hour awesome movies and I prefer that to normal TV shows with their ups and downs.

Damn. Quite an endorsement. I'm sold.
zzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #11795 on: September 03, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
The Knick is great. It just gets better and better, and the plot development is quite effortless. A show like that could have very easily relied on some boring or generic side plots to pad time. Instead the show says fuck that and gives you

(Read after you've seen two or three eps)
A nun and Irish motherfucker performing abortions
[close]

Yeah, those two quickly became by favorite supporting characters.  Love all their scenes together.  The scene where
where they're burying the girl when they come to their arrangement is really well done.
[close]

studyguy

« Reply #11796 on: September 03, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
Watched the first episode of Narcos. Solid fucking start.
Can't help but notice Wagner Moura's Spanish is all over the place sometimes, but I heard the dude picked it up in like 6 months just for this role. Either way shit's dope and worth a watch.
pause

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11797 on: September 03, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
Just found out Mr. Robot apparently does not in fact have any robots in it. Dunno if I'm going to watch it now.
:beli

Barry Egan

« Reply #11798 on: September 03, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
Just found out Mr. Robot apparently does not in fact have any robots in it. Dunno if I'm going to watch it now.

smh

dkdk

« Reply #11799 on: September 03, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »

heh the reason i didnt watch it at first is cause i thought it would be some corny robot/real boy shit.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #11800 on: September 03, 2015, 11:07:37 PM »

:rofl

Diggle from Arrow. Poor Diggle.
[close]
WDW

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #11801 on: September 04, 2015, 02:15:13 AM »

Drag things out and fuck wrapping up the immediate shit in the season finale.

benjipwns

« Reply #11802 on: September 04, 2015, 02:32:52 AM »
It was really structured like the previous episode was the "finale", this was more like the first episode of season two.

Though the Darlene twist was better than the more obvious Mr. Robot one and was the peak point of the season for me. What's her face dead in the trunk was a pretty good one.
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11803 on: September 04, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11804 on: September 04, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »
o shit

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11805 on: September 04, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »
I'm watching Eastbound and Down.  Great show.  The intro on episode six on Season 1  :lawd
🍆🍆

benjipwns

« Reply #11806 on: September 05, 2015, 02:10:27 AM »
dat street encounter with the wife scene  :whew
Was reading some "gossip" about this scene and apparently some of the crazy lighting on her was unintentional, they just accidentally messed it up inbetween takes, but when they watched it back it made things so much more tense and insane they were like "we have to use that take." Probably untrue, but whatevs, scene by itself totally outweighs the Christian Slater one later.

Also, I love her ability to smirk/smile out of one side of her mouth while conveying completely different emotions with the other side and the rest of her face.

If you're wondering what she said to him in Danish*:
If you have done something to him (implying harm), I will kill you.
[close]

*Trivia: Throughout the season when they don't speak in English, her husband speaks in Swedish, while she speaks in Danish, which was one of the weird for weird-sake things I loved from early on in the show.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11807 on: September 05, 2015, 02:29:17 AM »
I know a few ppl hated that now house of cards esque powerful rich couple trope they pulled but I thought it was handled well here. Tyrell himself just propped up cardboard, not just by his wife but others around him (elliott). The idea that his wife was the apex predator all along, and has been since a young girl (the teenage bit of story) is great.

Like you said about the smiling stuff, she has a way of being completely soft and warm one second while being sharp and completely disarming the next. Eliott catches this, but still falls for it. Rare quality. He gained nothing from their meeting other than the fact that there's another shark in the water.

benjipwns

« Reply #11808 on: September 05, 2015, 02:55:33 AM »
I liked the slow trickle of who was actually the superior in that relationship and "plot" whatever it is. Especially at the end where Tyrell is basically reduced to pleading with god to save him after being this seemingly massive threat for seven or eight episodes. And it came off all naturally rather than a forced "twist" due to little things here and there in prior episodes.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11809 on: September 06, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
Is Narcos really that good? Might bump it up a few slots after I finish season 3 of The Wire

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11810 on: September 06, 2015, 11:36:59 AM »
IMO it's not better than any season of the Wire, but it's pretty great.

I binged watched it over about 2 days while home sick last week.
___

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11811 on: September 06, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
Finished Eastbound and Down today.  Amazing show, couldn't have ended it any better.
🍆🍆

Barry Egan

« Reply #11812 on: September 06, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
yeah, the last season of Eastbound and Down is implausibly good.  Very rarely does a television show, let alone a comedy, have a send-off that well done.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11813 on: September 06, 2015, 07:06:42 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #11814 on: September 06, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »
:preach

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #11815 on: September 07, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
that's so far away
WDW

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11816 on: September 08, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Watched the first few episodes of Venture Bros. and it didn't click with me...

People with good taste seem to like it so I guess I'll give it another go
___

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11817 on: September 08, 2015, 08:04:07 PM »

if you don't like it you don't like it but keep in mind that at this pt a lot of us have literally grown up with it and it hasn't had any discernable drop in quality (quite a few think it actually got better but you know)

Dennis

« Reply #11818 on: September 08, 2015, 08:58:32 PM »
Just finished Show Me A Hero. Great show. Oscar Isaac is fantastic.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11819 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:08 PM »

I'm the same with that show. Watched a few seasons of it and there are funny bits to it at times but I never ended up liking it as much as the internet does. I feel the same way about Veep.

:yeshrug