Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070977 times)

Tasty

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13020 on: December 23, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
Despite the art style, Justice League Action might actually be... good?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #13021 on: December 23, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13022 on: December 23, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »
Black Mirror continued now on S3

Nosedive and San Junipero were great and I think benefited from having distinct aesthetics from the rest of the series. Both also had compelling characters. The writing was very good at leading you from their deceptive "normal" premises to the complete world building and San Junipero was a smart Trojan horse to something often not depicted on film despite how mundane it is.

Shut Up and Dance was the most depressing episode in the series so far because it really could be happening now and the characters were depressingly normal.

Playtest and Men Against Fire were below average, very little surprises in the stories and they came off a little preachy as a result (KOJIMA IS THE DEVIL). Men... also suffered of being more tell than show and relying on an augmented reality pitched already explored a couple of times.
Though I must say that during Playtest I was thinking "That dude looks like Kurt Russel in the Thing". Turns out it's his son.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13023 on: December 25, 2016, 04:16:22 AM »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13024 on: December 26, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »
WDW

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #13025 on: December 27, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »
Everyone should watch The OA. I don't think it would be possible to come away from the show without an extreme reaction which is a pretty solid feat in itself. It's so completely bonkers and sincere at the same time.
vin

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13026 on: December 28, 2016, 12:34:44 AM »

Steve Contra

« Reply #13027 on: December 28, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
Where can you stream the Expanse?
vin

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #13028 on: December 28, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »
Dutch Netflix #unhelpful
brb

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #13029 on: December 28, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
Everyone should watch The OA. I don't think it would be possible to come away from the show without an extreme reaction which is a pretty solid feat in itself. It's so completely bonkers and sincere at the same time.

Dude, it went off the rails so fucking bad for me at the end of the fifth episode. It was such a well made show up until that point.

Fucking angels?

:comeon

The healing and dimensional traveling powers of the flash mob? Again, gtfo.

I am not one of the people that dislike that there was ambiguity in the story at the end; it's just by that point, the story they were telling had become buttfuckingly stupid.
[close]
yar

Steve Contra

« Reply #13030 on: December 28, 2016, 03:03:13 PM »

Dude, it went off the rails so fucking bad for me at the end of the fifth episode. It was such a well made show up until that point.

Fucking angels?

:comeon

The healing and dimensional traveling powers of the flash mob? Again, gtfo.

I am not one of the people that dislike that there was ambiguity in the story at the end; it's just by that point, the story they were telling had become buttfuckingly stupid.
[close]
Oh it goes off the rails for sure. It's justa unique trainwreck. I don't know if I liked it or not, but it was fascinating. Did you finish?
vin

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #13031 on: December 28, 2016, 03:17:43 PM »
Yeah, I watched until the end.
yar

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13032 on: December 29, 2016, 01:33:12 AM »
It's election focused but I thought the maps and "most/least similar" shows were more interesting beyond that:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/26/upshot/duck-dynasty-vs-modern-family-television-maps.html

However, regarding Family Guy:
The show’s popularity was more correlated with support for Hillary Clinton than any other show.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:39:31 AM by benjipwns »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13033 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:39 AM »
The end of the OA was garbage, I'll be sure to mentally mark the people involved in the fuckeroo boat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13034 on: December 30, 2016, 03:56:18 AM »

yay

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13035 on: January 01, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »
Finished Black Mirror. I don't think the last episode (Hated in the nation) works very well as a pseudo cop procedural but I liked it went for a good SF hook this time. Series is incredibly well done (though it has its lows) but I can't help to worry that they ran to the ground some premises already (notably augmented reality / digital recordings of vision & memory) in only a dozen episodes.

Started watching Dirk Gently, the BBC America/Netflix/Max Landis version. I'm afraid of the bait & switch "Just do anything zany without a real endgame to keep viewers watching" and the bizarreness is on the nose too, but so far (3 episodes) I'm still in. Fiona Dourif (daughter of Brad, yes) is fairly amazing in this.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #13036 on: January 01, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »
I guess I need to try the oa even though it looks kinda dumb?

Also finished season 2 of schitts creek. Another great season IMO. Sincere but funny in a natural way. Plus David's wardrobe :drool :fabulous
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13037 on: January 02, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
You can add The Expanse to the growing list of shows I wish I would have waited to get into until there was more of them

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13038 on: January 03, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
Watched the two first episodes of the mini-series Tokyo Trial a NHK-Dutch TV-Netflix coproduction, about the Nuremberg counterpart for the Pacific War. As you would expect the cast is an international patchwork of solid second fiddles and odd choices : S.Keach lending his voice to the narration, M.Ironside as MacArthur, David Freeman (Bellocq in Raiders of the Lost Ark), Irrfan Khan (Slumdog Millionaire), Stephen McHattie, Serge Hazanavicius (brother of Michel, the director of The Artist) and japanese punk director Shynia Tsukamoto (!) playing the writer of the Burmese Harp.

The subject matter is riveting, the show... leaves a bit to be desired so far. It's not an easy proposition as they decided to keep, probably out of respect for the history (and consideration for their budget), all of the black & white footage of the court proceedings and charged individuals. To not break the visuals, the actors playing the judges are also shot in some phoney black & white "damaged" stock when in court, it's not the best.

The major issue so far however is that everything from the political implications to the personal granularity is treated piecemeal and it all makes for a rather superficial treatment of the political & legal arguments with cookie cutter characters (obligatory soviet judge strong arming the court on pure political grounds). The point would have been better served by taking more liberties with the source and maybe focusing on one aspect through a more streamlined unity of drama -for instance one major meeting with all the key legal arguments in depth-. Because so far it's all stiff and overly academic (including a grading perfectly aligned with current trends... and little personality).
ὕβρις

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #13039 on: January 03, 2017, 08:50:03 PM »
The world is a better place with The OA having been created. I just finished it and yeah, it's uhhh... Uh huh. But I really like it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13040 on: January 04, 2017, 03:09:38 AM »
Just started The OA tonight; first half felt like a billion disjointed things they'd never get into a coherent whole, second half had me riveted. Alice Krige has aged well, and happy that Walking Dead's Dale is working. Making Brit Marling look that mannish took some effort, I suspect. She's a handsome woman, but rarely that manly.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13041 on: January 04, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »
Watched the two remaining episodes of Tokyo Trial. All in all it makes a decent job at presenting the key debates around the Nuremberg and Tokyo courts and it avoids presenting too monolithic a picture. Still felt it was shallow in parts.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13042 on: January 05, 2017, 01:17:03 AM »
Just started The OA tonight; first half felt like a billion disjointed things they'd never get into a coherent whole, second half had me riveted. Alice Krige has aged well, and happy that Walking Dead's Dale is working. Making Brit Marling look that mannish took some effort, I suspect. She's a handsome woman, but rarely that manly.

Three more episodes tonight. I'm hooked. Lucius Malfoy is doomed to never be a good guy, but he's good at being a bad guy, so that's good. I hope they can actually make this work, but I'm still concerned this will be like X-Files or LOST, where it turns out no-one really had a solid world built in which to house the story. Still: fingers crossed.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13043 on: January 05, 2017, 01:24:57 AM »
Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets an amazing upgrade in quality and budget in Season 2.

If you ever watch the OT Star Wars films back to back, you immediately notice the HUGE visual upgrade between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. That's basically what Buffy Season 2 is like after the first one.
You're right, s1 is kind of garbage. The worldbuilding and stuff starts in earnest in s2.

It kinda peaks in s3, and stays good through s5. I'm not sure if I should have stuck with it after the transition to its new network in s6, but I'm muddling through it.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13044 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
The worst season of Buffy is where she goes to college and the big bad is some Frankenstein Monster guy named Adam that lives in a secret laboratory under the college
WDW

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13045 on: January 05, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #13046 on: January 05, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets an amazing upgrade in quality and budget in Season 2.

If you ever watch the OT Star Wars films back to back, you immediately notice the HUGE visual upgrade between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. That's basically what Buffy Season 2 is like after the first one.

I also think they upgraded from 16mm film to 35mm and it makes a HUGE difference. s1 is a muddy, blurry mess on DVD. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #13047 on: January 05, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »
The worst season of Buffy is where she goes to college and the big bad is some Frankenstein Monster guy named Adam that lives in a secret laboratory under the college

Yes, this is correct. Which makes these posts wrong:

You're right, s1 is kind of garbage. The worldbuilding and stuff starts in earnest in s2.

It kinda peaks in s3, and stays good through s5. I'm not sure if I should have stuck with it after the transition to its new network in s6, but I'm muddling through it.

S3-5 is really where the show is at it's best. I have nostalgia for the first two seasons but they don't really hold up. S6-7 is just pure trash.

s2 is a little iffy, and it feels cliched today, but if you're a new viewer you have to keep in mind how groundbreaking it was at the time. And the central plot still holds up IMO.

s3 was a little unfocused in comparison IMO. But it was more fun.

s4 is worse than anything during the UPN run.

s5 is the best season if you can get past Dawn (which you should.) Best Big Bad too, which must have been hard to do after s4's.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13048 on: January 05, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
With tasty on this one.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13049 on: January 05, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
I'm sure everyone at the bore besides me is above watching schlock like this, but Ahnold is pretty ridiculous on apprentice :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #13050 on: January 07, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
The 11th season of Its Always Sunny is now out on Netflix.

It's time they take this show out behind the woodshed.  I'm guessing they will keep pinching these seasons out since most of their careers have stalled except Kaitlin Olson, who is playing Sweet Dee in another sitcom that she is starring in.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13051 on: January 07, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
:piss

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13052 on: January 07, 2017, 04:00:45 PM »
It's already renewed through season fourteen. :smug

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13053 on: January 07, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »
Finished watching Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective Agency and it didn't crash as I feared, it was in fact surprisingly solid though the hook for season 2 is exactly the sort of sequel setup I am skeptical of (there's a whole government conspiracy frame hanging there and as in The X-Files or anything else it is used in, you know it will get shit and convoluted the instant they'll have to explain it for real). As I read in a number of places, Max Landis does have a tendency to use and abuse violence as a magic ingredient but it didn't harm the tone of the show too much. Overall it's a cool premise to throw all manners of exciting SF concepts and zany adventures at a breathtaking pace : It's only 8 episodes with over a dozen characters so there's a lot going on. Speaking of characters, they're fun, interesting and the cast is obviously enjoying itself (Props to Fiona Dourif and Samuel Barnett).

Give it a try.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13054 on: January 07, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot as well though I am not as hard on Landis as some.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13055 on: January 08, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
I liked the OA  :-[

etiolate

« Reply #13056 on: January 08, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
I am hiding this under spoiler cuz of the shame

I got hooked on that fucking Netflix Dreamworks cartoon Troll Hunters. I am not sure why. The main character is a mary sue. His character flaw for the plot is that he's not a troll.

However, it's a bit like a Whedon show where the mythos is kind of fun and the side characters are good. They even got me a little invested in the life of a psychotic gnome named Chompsky.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13057 on: January 08, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Troll Hunters pretty good when it doesn't fall into tropy kids cartoon stuff. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13058 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:12 AM »
I am hiding this under spoiler cuz of the shame

I got hooked on that fucking Netflix Dreamworks cartoon Troll Hunters. I am not sure why. The main character is a mary sue. His character flaw for the plot is that he's not a troll.

However, it's a bit like a Whedon show where the mythos is kind of fun and the side characters are good. They even got me a little invested in the life of a psychotic gnome named Chompsky.
[close]

They manufactured your consent.
ὕβρις

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #13059 on: January 09, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
Always Sunny just had a series great season premiere

:confused
___

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13060 on: January 10, 2017, 01:52:22 AM »
The only thing that bugged me about The OA was
how was Steve at that school that day? Like so we just accept that worked out for him?
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #13061 on: January 10, 2017, 07:42:51 AM »
The only thing that bugged me about The OA was
how was Steve at that school that day? Like so we just accept that worked out for him?
[close]
Oh yeah.  I completely forgot about that.   :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13062 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13063 on: January 16, 2017, 03:31:22 PM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13064 on: January 16, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
will watch for Sarah Silverman

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13065 on: January 17, 2017, 09:34:32 PM »
Started watching The Good Place. About 4 episodes in. I really like it. It's funny.

Not sure how long you can go with such a premise but its entertaining now at least. The writing is pretty sharp.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:23:20 PM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #13066 on: January 20, 2017, 12:46:48 AM »
Baskets is baaaaaaack

Pls watch-LOUIS CK
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13067 on: January 20, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
I LOVED the double episode of the good place, it's been a while since I liked a comedy this much

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13068 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »
That was one of the best twists in a comedy I've seen in years.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13069 on: January 20, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »
We're mid-Stranger Things and it's a nicely made show. But I'm starting to wonder if even I can get saturated with that now oh so prevalent aping 80's style trend. It's all very well done, mind, and the kids are pretty good (as noted a couple of times here by fellow Boreans) but I'm not sure this will have a very exciting reveal ? I dunno. Being facetious, the thing that most intrigued me so far is the presence of white dust on the title sequence (after reading an interview with the designer : probably one of the effect they layered to mimic the feel of shooting something equivalent on film back then, they added some grain).
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13070 on: January 21, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »
Despite previous, proud statements that Supernatural wrapped perfectly with s5, because it's now been added to Japanese Amazon Prime Streaming, I started watching s6 today and ended up catassing 6 episodes while doing housework before moving away from the TV. The show hasn't missed a step. In particular, Weekend at Bobby's was a tightly written, well-directed episode focusing on secondary characters with nicely timed cuts between action happening off-camera. Live Free or Twihard was a timely (yeah, probably trendy) jab at the Twilight boom at its peak, from the perspective of the show's mainstream-yet-dark humor. I'm likely to continue watching it until I hit the end of free streaming content.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13071 on: January 21, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
You are in for a rough time

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13072 on: January 21, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
It gets bad then it gets good again

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13073 on: January 21, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
ya that curve takes a while though

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13074 on: January 21, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Despite previous, proud statements that Supernatural wrapped perfectly with s5, because it's now been added to Japanese Amazon Prime Streaming, I started watching s6 today and ended up catassing 6 episodes while doing housework before moving away from the TV. The show hasn't missed a step. In particular, Weekend at Bobby's was a tightly written, well-directed episode focusing on secondary characters with nicely timed cuts between action happening off-camera. Live Free or Twihard was a timely (yeah, probably trendy) jab at the Twilight boom at its peak, from the perspective of the show's mainstream-yet-dark humor. I'm likely to continue watching it until I hit the end of free streaming content.

Don't listen to the above posters. It does dip, and s6 is the lowest point of all 12 seasons so far imo, but even at it's worst SN is still entertaining.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13075 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
I mean I still love it, it just dips really hard.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13076 on: January 21, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »
Saw a lot of The Young Pope's first ep last night and it was straight up terrible. The costumes and set design were nice obviously, given the subject matter, but everything else was bad. Jude Law, the acting, and especially the writing.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13077 on: January 21, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
I guess one day I'll judge by myself but I would be a bit miffed the Young Pope is really that bad, considering Paolo Sorrentino's involvement.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13078 on: January 21, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »
It's in line with Sorrentino's other work. It's strange and he gives you zero bracers and throws you right in, immediately. I'm assuming PD has little experience with this kinda work.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13079 on: January 21, 2017, 09:39:40 PM »
Supernatural's whole first season is kind of garbage, and it had a dip or two on its way to s5. Right now I just hit a pacing thing that was either genius or entirely mishandled, and I won't know until I see it addressed (Crowley's plotline and his bones). But I'm liking the way they introduced the players one at a time back into the fold during this season, so I'm probably in for the long haul.

Working through Arrow's s1 still. I am watching it in Japanese for my son's sake, but it means I've missed some of the finer points in the exposition scenes. I'm enjoying this version of Batman (because this is not Green Arrow so much as Bats), with the odd-assortment of Bat-family members around him. He's also pretty human, with human goals and problems, which is nice. I'll admit that I like the more action-oriented tone of The Flash compared to the endless familial drama of Arrow.