Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070955 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13620 on: August 25, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
Jessica Jones was also fucking trash.

It'd hafts nosedive pretty hard to qualify.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13621 on: August 25, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
Why is it so hard to find a good TV show to watch in 2k17? Nothing seems to interest me anymore. :'(

watch the greatest tv show, Hannibal.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13622 on: August 26, 2017, 03:44:02 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13623 on: August 27, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Finished Jessica Jones. Aside from frayed story beats on Nuke/Simpson and not following up on Hogarth, this was a remarkable update of Marvel's core success: presenting a flawed, human hero while commenting on current social problems. Absolutely wonderful.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13624 on: August 29, 2017, 01:13:04 AM »

What is this a knockoff of Taboo? :think

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13625 on: August 30, 2017, 07:33:24 PM »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #13627 on: September 03, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
Just finished Search Party. Glad this is getting a second season. Doesn't sound like anyone watched it, but it's top notch.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13628 on: September 04, 2017, 12:48:45 AM »
Just finished Search Party. Glad this is getting a second season. Doesn't sound like anyone watched it, but it's top notch.

Does "single camera dark comedy" mean that it's kind of like The Office?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #13630 on: September 05, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »
New American Horror Story has masturbating murderous clowns. I'm in.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13631 on: September 06, 2017, 12:03:10 AM »
It's AHS though, it's going to devolve to trash outside of episode two. Chanel Zero is the much better version of this show.

TVC15

« Reply #13632 on: September 06, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »
It's AHS though, it's going to devolve to trash outside of episode two. Chanel Zero is the much better version of this show.

I'm prepared for the decline. I think I've enjoyed about two thirds of every season. It's usually a wild and unpredictable ride until it loses steam. The exceptions are S2 which was mostly great and last season which was 100% trash.
serge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13633 on: September 06, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »
I quit that show in S2 when Anne Frank showed up. Never returned.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13634 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:09 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13635 on: September 07, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »
Started watching Amazon's The Tick and, whew lads, it is good. Kick all the Marvel and DC shows into the bushes and watch this immediately, that's my advice. Also, Peter Serafinowicz is really incredible as The Tick, his voice and the way he delivers his lines [which are also incredible] are just...so enthralling.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13636 on: September 07, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #13637 on: September 08, 2017, 04:43:35 AM »
Was watching and enjoying the heck out of Legion and couldn't put it down. Was all excited to watch the final 3 eps and started up ep6, which

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stops the plot entirely and wastes an entire ep when there's only 8 doing "everyone stuck in mental hospital hallucination episode"
[close]

Couldn't even make it through the ep and just played games instead. Hope the last 2 eps get back on track quickly.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13638 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »

Good show although I couldn't tell that early on. In fact I kind of disliked it after the first few episodes until I realized you are kind of supposed to actively hate everybody on it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13639 on: September 09, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
I'm still working through Person of Interest with the wife, and god-DAMN if "Relevance" isn't the best episode of the series since the first one. They tell the story from the other side of the Machine's effectiveness, by following an agent, Shaw, and her partner using the Machine's actionable intel to take down threats. It was super kick-ass, and it was refreshing to watch Reese and Finch be seen through the eyes of someone who's coming at the same problems from a different angle.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13640 on: September 09, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
I'm still working through Person of Interest with the wife, and god-DAMN if "Relevance" isn't the best episode of the series since the first one. They tell the story from the other side of the Machine's effectiveness, by following an agent, Shaw, and her partner using the Machine's actionable intel to take down threats. It was super kick-ass, and it was refreshing to watch Reese and Finch be seen through the eyes of someone who's coming at the same problems from a different angle.

show keeps getting better imo, i know i say this a lot lol but I really think PoI is one of the better big network tv shows we've had. Def. near the top for the last ten years or so.

Show does a great job of showing you how everyone has good intentions...

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13641 on: September 09, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
What are everyone's top 5 TV shows of all time?

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #13642 on: September 09, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
Eastbound & Down
The Knick
Nathan for You
Summer Heights High
Boardwalk Empire

:yeshrug

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #13643 on: September 09, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »

The Sopranos
It's Always Sunny
The Shield
Horace and Pete
The Wire
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #13644 on: September 09, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
I'm pretty new to TV, so most of my picks will be fairly recent:

True Detective S1
The Knick
Fargo TV
Twin Peaks
Parks & Recreation

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13645 on: September 09, 2017, 03:30:01 PM »

Hmm.

The Simpsons
Fargo
Venture Brothers
Police Squad
The IT Crowd

Ask me again next week.
rub

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13646 on: September 09, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
No order:

Peep Show
Review
Rick and Morty
Rupaul's Drag Race
Game of hahaha jk no lets say Battlestar Galactica for now

That's my hip fire list today, I agree with zomgee, it varies

Tasty

« Reply #13647 on: September 09, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
These are just my faves.
  • Star Trek / Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Seinfeld
  • Twin Peaks / Twin Peaks: The Return
  • Batman: The Animated Series / Justice League / Justice League Unlimited
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel
This is hardest because most shows vary wildly in quality over the course of their run. Like Lost, Arrested Develeopment, Futurama, Daredevil, etc. Also didn't include shows that have yet to end (so no Curbed, no West World, no Rick and Morty, no Game of Thrones, no Mr. Robot, no House of Cards.) Spartacus, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Spaced, and Veep just barely didn't make the cut.

And yeah I cheated but bite me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:53:37 PM by Tasty Meat »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13648 on: September 09, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
Hannibal
Angel
The Twilight Zone

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13649 on: September 09, 2017, 05:36:33 PM »
Nice, lotsa replies - thanks!

Here's my shitty list:

Breaking Bad
Always Sunny

LOST (A beautiful nostalgic mess)
Desperate Housewives (might as well admit it, don't judge me)
Futurama

The last 3 are in random order. I also want Narcos and Making A Murderer on the list.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13650 on: September 09, 2017, 07:08:22 PM »
  • Probably nothing has influenced my media tastes more than The Twilight Zone.
  • As a child, my favorite TV show was Kikaider, a Kamen-Rider knockoff that ran on the Japanese channel when I was growing up in Los Angeles. I watched it religiously, even though I couldn't understand what was being said. It's at least partially to blame for me eventually ending up in Japan.
  • When I was a kid, The A-Team were exactly what I thought heroes were supposed to be.
  • As a young adult, I was completely taken in by s3 onward of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and its continuity. Now that just about everything is serialized, it's hard to say why occasional mentions of old incidents, or recurring characters felt so important.
  • The Muppet Show - ostensibly a kids's show, with enough winks and nods toward the adults that it still retains its charm today.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13651 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:41 PM »

The Wire
The Sopranos
The Shield
Arrested Development

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13652 on: September 09, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
show keeps getting better imo, i know i say this a lot lol but I really think PoI is one of the better big network tv shows we've had. Def. near the top for the last ten years or so.

Show does a great job of showing you how everyone has good intentions...
It hurts how it was affected by network politics, the pacing changes in the back half of the series simply because they don't have enough episodes. Though I know some people preferred that, I liked its slower pace of the first two seasons even if the plots aren't really as good.

Though I'm weird, pacing is so huge to me in stuff.

benjipwns

« Reply #13653 on: September 09, 2017, 10:13:55 PM »
imma cheat and split between comedy and not, and the orders are not an order, also, ask me again in an hour, and then an hour after that, etc. because it actually hurts even doing it this way...i'm not including anything i haven't finished (and coming back to this now, imma cut out anything still airing too and give a bonus one-season wonder)

Band of Brothers (it was a miniseries so it gets a special spot!)

Manhattan, AZ
Arrested Development The Larry Sanders Show
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia King of the Hill
Newsradio
Yes, Minister/Prime Minister
Futurama

Terriers
The Wire
Deadwood
Justified
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Boss

benjipwns

« Reply #13654 on: September 09, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
already want to change my lists despite cheating :fbm

edit:
i considered scratching Boss for both Psych and Reaper but i sorta feel like those are more comedies...

I'm also going to mention:
Forever
Limitless
Firefly
to make a top five of one season wonders with Manhattan, AZ and Terriers
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:19:05 PM by benjipwns »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13655 on: September 09, 2017, 10:16:15 PM »
Been thinking of trying The Wire, I see so many people mention it everywhere. Also wanted to finish Hannibal but for some reason they removed it from Netflix. At least I'm certain that's where I started watching it when it was new. ???

benjipwns

« Reply #13656 on: September 09, 2017, 10:23:14 PM »
The Wire is slightly tougher for some people now because so many shows have learned from it, also the first season doesn't really have cell phones, beepers and pay phones are the key plot point. Somewhat like people watching Seinfeld for the first time struggle with it because they've seen the world after it and never experienced the world it depicts.

It's still four great seasons and then a boring spin-off series about people working at a newspaper.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13657 on: September 10, 2017, 12:03:21 AM »
I just rewatched Gravity Falls, this show is so good. It's about two twins who go to live with their con-man Great Uncle for the summer to work at his crummy tourist trap The Mystery Shack in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Of course there's all kinds of weird and supernatural stuff happening there all the time. The humor is mostly absurd, but it can often get pretty dark. It's only two seasons so it's a quick watch. The first season is pretty episodic but most episodes are quite good, and there's lots of little clues to overarching mysteries to watch for. But season 2 where they go heavy on the lore is where the show just gets incredible. The episode where the most ridiculous of the joke background characters turns out to have an incredibly deep and tragic backstory :lawd

And the theme song is so good

[close]

If you get a chance you should definitely give it a watch.
WDW

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13658 on: September 10, 2017, 12:33:32 AM »
Justified whew. That's on there too. I think about scenes and quotes and characters from it a lot.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13659 on: September 10, 2017, 12:41:13 AM »
Justified whew. That's on there too. I think about scenes and quotes and characters from it a lot.

It does a better job at being Elmore Leonard's creation than most works derived /directly/ from The Dutch's oeuvre.

benjipwns

« Reply #13660 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:31 AM »
He actually admitted that and the version in Raylan is basically the Justified version, not his original one. Not to mention Boyd and some others. :lol

I liked early Justified, but when the first season starts into its arc and dumps case of the week stuff is when it really takes off and that ending is just whew. No episode has ever been better titled than "Bulletville."

The second season is one of the best of anything ever, Mags is fucking amazing. The only real problem is that she makes everyone else from then on out less threatening. And the overarching plot I thought was really smart in terms of tackling the multiple real life issues of the location of the show, "we dug coal together" starts to lose its impact over the final two seasons as things get seemingly too big even when they try to force it for the final season. Even the drug storyline (how each family's fortunes and power is dependent on their drug trade but the rise of heroin and then meth, along with Boyd's actions, undermine this stable system) starts to fall apart.

Quarles and Duffy's adventures in season three are still great though, actually all of Duffy I love, and Limehouse. Quarles is arguably handled ideally in a way that the Crowes are not, he comes in as the outsider who is an ultimate monster, only to find that Harlan County is the real ultimate monster.

It's really the last two seasons where Michael Rapaport and Sam Elliott are huge nobodys with stupid plans. Mary Steenburgen is waaaay better as a final villain level character I thought, and she gets the best ending in exchange. But I guess Sam Elliott is kinda a genre/forth-wall/inverting tropes pick. Since we all know Boyd has to be the final showdown and the rest are just to fill the time for that. Though I liked who they got for Avery's enforcers, great casting. Boon is just too much to pack in and goofy but I was glad how they ended his arc.

why can i not find this scene from the season four finale of raylan and winona by itself in something closer to a proper ratio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8YhQ_dxtGg&t=1m50s

can't even find the scene where Tim recognizes the trap in the road

will have to settle for this:

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13661 on: September 10, 2017, 04:43:20 AM »
I can't remember if it held but I do remember thinking the show ended up with better villains ever even numbered season with the Michael Rapport season being probably the weakest main villain wise. Though I did enjoy how crazy I think season 3 was with the Bible quoting weirdo? They kinda went full comic book with him.

benjipwns

« Reply #13662 on: September 10, 2017, 05:09:21 AM »
Quarles goes from crazy to really crazy to batshit as he loses control of the situation further. The season basically sets up a whole bunch of seemingly individual plot lines that are headed for a massive trainwreck at the end, but Quarles is the only one who has no plan or any idea that he needs one. Limehouse is playing all sides, Boyd always has a way out, Raylan doesn't want to be involved like always, Duffy is basically setting up Quarles by directing him at Boyd and Raylan, and Dewey thinks his kidneys have been cut out.

benjipwns

« Reply #13663 on: September 10, 2017, 05:15:41 AM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13664 on: September 10, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »
I need to finish The Knick. S1 was amazing, one of the best shows I've seen on every level. S2 was really good, but I stopped watching because I was watching it with my brother, he got real busy and asked me not to finish without him. I ended up forgetting about the show and a couple months later realized it wasn't on xfinity anymore. I'll restart it soon.

One of the many things that impressed me about The Knick was that there is no weak link side plot. Every arc presented is interesting, nothing feels trivial, and there's always a compelling character on screen.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13665 on: September 10, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
Been thinking of trying The Wire, I see so many people mention it everywhere. Also wanted to finish Hannibal but for some reason they removed it from Netflix. At least I'm certain that's where I started watching it when it was new. ???

It's an Amazon Prime exclusive afaik

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13666 on: September 10, 2017, 09:33:10 PM »
Oh yeah, that makes sense!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13667 on: September 11, 2017, 12:46:29 AM »
Justified was one of the best things i've seen ever

benjipwns

« Reply #13668 on: September 11, 2017, 12:59:18 AM »
Hastily rewriting to allow Boyd to survive the first episode after seeing Walton Goggins performance is one of the greatest rewrites on the fly in TV history.

Even if they have to have him sit around the woods doing nothing for like half the season thereafter because he wasn't supposed to even be in the series and they had to second unit all that after the fact. :lol
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13669 on: September 11, 2017, 01:35:31 AM »
Hastily rewriting to allow Boyd to survive the first episode after seeing Walton Goggins performance is one of the greatest rewrites on the fly in TV history.

Even if they have to have him sit around the woods doing nothing for like half the season thereafter because he wasn't supposed to even be in the series and they had to second unit all that after the fact. :lol
[close]

He's a pretty amazing foil to Raylan, and a fantastic retrofit to make the series work well.

Bebpo

« Reply #13670 on: September 11, 2017, 02:33:02 AM »
Legion was good! Really enjoyed parts of the last two episodes. Ending wasn't perfect, just like the show, but it was a lot of fun and looked/sounded fantastic. Definitely looking forward to S2. I'm kinda surprised they got Dan Stevens for the main guy since he's kinda of a legit film carrying actor with a bunch of stuff in his portfolia, although it's kinda crazy how unrecognizable he is compared to his normal hollywood hunk look he has in films. Didn't recognize him until I looked up the cast on imdb.

Tasty

« Reply #13671 on: September 11, 2017, 02:38:01 AM »
Tonight's Rick and Morty might be my favorite one. This season has been more of a mixed back than the first two but this ep brought me back in a big way.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13672 on: September 11, 2017, 04:21:36 AM »
Tonight's Rick and Morty might be my favorite one. This season has been more of a mixed back than the first two but this ep brought me back in a big way.

Yeah, I just watched it as well; Ricklantis Mix-Up? This show is crazy and smart.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #13673 on: September 11, 2017, 06:30:16 AM »
Rewatching BSG out of boredom. Halfway through Season 2, which is still the good part. Bracing for the downgrade.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13674 on: September 11, 2017, 07:47:03 AM »
Rewatching BSG out of boredom. Halfway through Season 2, which is still the good part. Bracing for the downgrade.
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45029.0 come bump this shit thread bby  :-*

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13675 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »

Yeah, I just watched it as well; Ricklantis Mix-Up? This show is crazy and smart.

It was great - but I've been loving this whole season

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13676 on: September 11, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
Rewatched the pilot of Leverage tonight. As pilots go, it's probably my favorite. It's also one of the best episodes the series ever has.

TVC15

« Reply #13677 on: September 11, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories had an episode with Ray Wise, Rhea Perlman, and Jorge Garcia last night and it was the best thing ever.
serge

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13678 on: September 11, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »
I only made it through 20 minutes of The Orvile.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:15:53 AM by zomgee »
rub

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #13679 on: September 11, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories had an episode with Ray Wise, Rhea Perlman, and Jorge Garcia last night and it was the best thing ever.

I will watch anything with Ray Wise in it.
zzzzz