Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2070750 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #15540 on: July 02, 2018, 05:43:02 AM »
The Purge could be a fantastic format for various stories; the key is portraying human drama while a looming threat is on the verge of ingress.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #15541 on: July 02, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
Enjoyed The Living And The Dead
reckt

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15542 on: July 03, 2018, 03:45:23 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15543 on: July 03, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »

Looks like the TRUE DETECTIVE season 2 we deserve.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15544 on: July 04, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Glow episode 8 friends :lawd

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15545 on: July 04, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
^i thought season 1 was good, but season 2 was stellar. probably the biggest step up between seasons of any netflix show, maybe the only one for that matter. really enjoyed it

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15546 on: July 06, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »
GLOW is still the best Netflix show

Some inspired framing in some of those shots. Man, TNT has upped their game.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:39:54 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15547 on: July 06, 2018, 07:10:12 PM »
TNT lowest key doing good work. On the surface a lot of their stuff seems to be standard network tv shit but they seem to know this and go about the execution differently enough that it works. Sometimes its their casting sometimes its actual direction/writing.

I've been impressed enough by last og and fucking claws to take note of them while they're running in the bg at least.

USA was in a similar place but they've sorta settled into a groove where TNT still seems willing to play it wild and loose.

Beezy

« Reply #15548 on: July 06, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »
Glow episode 8 friends :lawd
Chola Junk Chain is my new crush.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15549 on: July 08, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
I watched like 5 episodes of Dear White People at a friends last night. It was way too internet for me. It was like watched Reeeeeee in tv form. I wasn’t sure if it was super melodramatic in some sort of self aware way or if it was in earnest. Awful.

Boredfrom

« Reply #15550 on: July 08, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »
Westworld misanthropy gets annoying by the end of season 2. Hope Nolan starts taking his pills again, because he is drinking a lot of his Kool aid.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I really enjoyed all until The Forge stuff was really hammering “human are assholes because Delos was an asshole to Logan a million of times”.

Hope Season 3 finally give us no more cartoony human characters.
[close]

Freyj

« Reply #15551 on: July 10, 2018, 12:09:32 AM »
Was gonna cancel HBO now that Westworld is done but Sharp Objects is good shit 1 episode in.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15552 on: July 11, 2018, 12:00:39 AM »
Goddamn, that first episode of Sharp Objects is fucking great. Like really, really great.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #15553 on: July 11, 2018, 12:55:33 AM »
Was gonna cancel HBO now that Westworld is done but Sharp Objects is good shit 1 episode in.

Gillian Flynn :rejoice

Marti Noxon :rejoice

TVC15

« Reply #15554 on: July 11, 2018, 01:00:20 AM »

Gillian Flynn :rejoice

Marti Noxon :rejoice

Amy Adams drinking like I used to for most of my 20s and early 30s :rejoice
serge

Tasty

« Reply #15555 on: July 11, 2018, 01:02:14 AM »
Not dying early of cirrhosis like TVC :rejoice

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15556 on: July 11, 2018, 01:16:44 AM »
I dont really 'get' Sharp Objects yet, there was way too much focus on Amy's character and too little on whatever is supposed to push the plot forward.  It's beautifully shot and I love the music, I only really found one scene annoying - where the liquor store owner looks at his watch a)It's obvious as fuck b)she could be buying it to drink at a party later, buying sealed alcohol isnt the same thing as hitting a bar at 9am. I get what they were saying but it was silly.

TVC15

« Reply #15557 on: July 11, 2018, 01:56:30 AM »
I dont really 'get' Sharp Objects yet, there was way too much focus on Amy's character and too little on whatever is supposed to push the plot forward.  It's beautifully shot and I love the music, I only really found one scene annoying - where the liquor store owner looks at his watch a)It's obvious as fuck b)she could be buying it to drink at a party later, buying sealed alcohol isnt the same thing as hitting a bar at 9am. I get what they were saying but it was silly.

Nah. The only bad part was the Gloria Steinem poster. Big Media is trying to force that ho into the rematch of the three-way with Camille Paglia and Susan Sontag that I’m about to have as I fall asleep.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15558 on: July 11, 2018, 02:36:16 AM »
What the fuck is 'nah' as a response to what I posted.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #15559 on: July 11, 2018, 03:53:49 AM »
luke cage s2 - zzzzzzzz only a few eps in but so far this not just bad inline with other marvel tv shows but fucking boring, nigel's accent is the best thing so far

TVC15

« Reply #15560 on: July 11, 2018, 07:52:20 AM »

You were making criticisms and I shot them down.

Anyway, I was wary when I was going to bed, but I’m now a convert: boys, Gloria Steinem’s pussy tastes like sweet butter.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15561 on: July 11, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »
ok, well

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #15562 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
Tales from the Tour Bus was good. I never cared for country but you don't have to to appreciate it.

Next season they're focusing on funk 8)

TVC15

« Reply #15563 on: July 11, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
ok, well

I feel bad for using your post to make a joke last night, so I’ll give you a real response.

Re: the watch scene. I generally liked that the episode went to drastic lengths to accurately depict the minutiae of how hardcore alcoholics operate. We see alcoholics in like every gritty crime series and frequently in general dramas, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the daily operational processes get as much detail as they do in this episode. With that in mind, I think the watch shot was just the show overshooting a bit and adding another detail that was just a bit much. It was like a half second shot, so I’m willing to forgive it.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15564 on: July 11, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
It was way too much, I dont think the general audience is that stupid to not realise she has a drinking problem after the first 20 mins of the show, the way they kept on going deeper to the point of 'hey look drinking at 10am!' was weird and slows everything down. I don't know the book but I assume this is a mystery/murder drama and not primarily a character study and if I'm right about that I'm going to be disappointed if that feels rushed when looking back at this episode.

TVC15

« Reply #15565 on: July 11, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
It was way too much, I dont think the general audience is that stupid to not realise she has a drinking problem after the first 20 mins of the show, the way they kept on going deeper to the point of 'hey look drinking at 10am!' was weird and slows everything down. I don't know the book but I assume this is a mystery/murder drama and not primarily a character study and if I'm right about that I'm going to be disappointed if that feels rushed when looking back at this episode.

I don’t know anything about the book, personally. For me, this was great for one episode. It was a different take on the rote alcoholic detective trope, and I felt it spoke to the realities of living with trauma while simultaneously teasing at what that trauma might be. Then we got the biggest tease at the end of the episode. Now, if every episode dedicates this much time to it, I’ll probably feel differently.

The mother, a significant portion of her screentime displays her drinking habits. She’s clearly a different kind of alcoholic. I think the show is saying something there, too, but we really have to learn more about dat enigmatic mother more.

This is clearly going for a Faulkner-ish southern gothic vibe, so I’d expect a lot of unspoken character development and character study-type material in addition to the mystery itself.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #15566 on: July 11, 2018, 11:17:42 AM »
Oh, also, as far as scenes like the watch being too extra, I saw a number of people comment that the show makes Missouri seem too deep south. Some said the accents were too much, some argued otherwise, but everyone seems to agree that the amazing mansion is waytoo southern for missouri.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15567 on: July 11, 2018, 05:32:22 PM »

:beetlejuice

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15568 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15569 on: July 12, 2018, 04:08:28 AM »

oh yeah

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15570 on: July 14, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #15571 on: July 14, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
Faces of Death

Give Traces of Death a try, I think that has more real footage.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15572 on: July 15, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »
Watched Season 4 of Bojack Horseman.

It was good. In fact it was probably my favorite season of the show so far. It helped that it broke away from the pattern of having seasons generally build to Bojack predictably doing the most awful thing possible at the end of it.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15573 on: July 15, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »
Goddamn, that first episode of Sharp Objects is fucking great. Like really, really great.
what was so great about it? The fact that some ugly redhead just sat around getting ripped on booze? nothing else happened in the entire fucking episode.

Watched Season 4 of Bojack Horseman.

It was good. In fact it was probably my favorite season of the show so far. It helped that it broke away from the pattern of having seasons generally build to Bojack predictably doing the most awful thing possible at the end of it.
Bojack is unbelievably good. When is a new season coming?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15574 on: July 15, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
Have always sunny on in the background and I'm convinced this is the funniest scene for me out of thr whole series...

You guyyysss...

TVC15

« Reply #15575 on: July 15, 2018, 06:30:18 PM »
Man, I miss huffing gas :(
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15576 on: July 15, 2018, 08:40:44 PM »

[close]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:47:27 PM by toku »

Freyj

« Reply #15577 on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:15 AM »
Sharp Objects easily the best thing on TV rn.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15578 on: July 16, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
Still not sold on Sharp Objects, it's not doing anything I need it to do to stay interested.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15579 on: July 16, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
Still not sold on Sharp Objects, it's not doing anything I need it to do to stay interested.
yeah what the fuck is good about this show? honestly? the whole first episode seemed like your annoying drunk friend trying to get you to drink. every other scene was a bottle being plopped on a table.

BisMarckie

« Reply #15580 on: July 16, 2018, 08:27:35 PM »
After watching the first two episodes of 13 Reasons Why because netflix recommended it to me, I don't think I am the target audience for it :doge

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15581 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »
After watching the first two episodes of 13 Reasons Why because netflix recommended it to me, I don't think I am the target audience for it :doge

Never seen the show but I know its targeted toward teenagers.

warcock

« Reply #15582 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:16 AM »
Is succession worth? So far it seems really melodramatic and incredibly far up its own ass.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15583 on: July 17, 2018, 01:21:15 AM »

Keep watching, I think someone dies

TVC15

« Reply #15584 on: July 17, 2018, 01:43:22 AM »

It’s probably the worst show ever made, but keep watching to see how misguided it really is. It’s basically a celebration of suicide.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #15585 on: July 17, 2018, 03:54:49 AM »
After reading some thread on era about it being an underrated horror show, watched S1 of Channel Zero: Candle Cover.

Eh, was ok. I thought the first ep was interesting and creepy and I liked the monster costume design throughout, but I thought ep2/3 were kinda boring and while 4-6 were entertaining the direction the story went to "explain" things was kinda generic horror tropey zzz. Didn't like some of the characters or plot directions.

I heard S2 is good and S3 is alright, will watch S2 since it's only 6 eps and hopefully it's better than Candle Cove. Candle Cove feels like a show with potential, but it needed better writers. I just want a horror show that's actually creepy or disturbing. Is that so much to ask for?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15586 on: July 17, 2018, 03:59:33 AM »
I liked all the seasons of Channel Zero except 3

Bebpo

« Reply #15587 on: July 17, 2018, 04:07:55 AM »
I hated how stupid grounded they had to make it instead of just being creepy

The EVIL TEACHER being behind much of it wast just fucking lame. Ditch her character completely and leave it about the esper kid living on post-death and haunting shows and it'd be tighter scripted, less tropey, and much creepier. Stupid humans are not creepy at all. I didn't find any of the episodes creepy after the first one where I wasn't sure where it was going besides CREEPY MONSTER CHARACTERS FROM A CREEPY SHOW APPEARING IN REALITY which was pretty creepy thanks to great costume designs. Then it was just a B-grade syfy channel drama from ep2 onwards.
[close]

BisMarckie

« Reply #15588 on: July 17, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »

It’s probably the worst show ever made, but keep watching to see how misguided it really is. It’s basically a celebration of suicide.

I will keep watching then and see how much of a trainwreck the show is. I think I will need some alcohol though....

Tasty

TVC15

« Reply #15590 on: July 17, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »

Really? I disliked 1 and 2 so much that I didn’t even bother with 3. Actually, I’m not sure I knew it aired yet. They’re really cranking these out, aren’t they?

Also if you like seasons 1 and 2 you liked something produced by Rapist Max Landis so you’re anti-#MeToo.
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15591 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
Finished HAPPY! (Max Payne vs. My Little Pony) and I have to say, it started strong but drag-assed in the last three episodes. This also seems like GRANT MORRISON was trying to channel GARTH ENNIS for some reason. Just crass and mean-spirited for no good reason. Probably will not watch s2 if there is one.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15592 on: July 18, 2018, 01:24:39 AM »

Really? I disliked 1 and 2 so much that I didn’t even bother with 3. Actually, I’m not sure I knew it aired yet. They’re really cranking these out, aren’t they?

Also if you like seasons 1 and 2 you liked something produced by Rapist Max Landis so you’re anti-#MeToo.
Season 3's subject matter wasnt of interest to me. Also if you're looking for someone who cares about the personal lives of celebs, I'm not him  :aah

Bebpo

« Reply #15593 on: July 18, 2018, 01:57:06 AM »

Wellll, as much as I hate Max Landis, Dirk Gently S1 was great, so I'm not gonna hate everything he's involved in even if I think he's a little abhorrent shit with no talent.

Tasty

« Reply #15594 on: July 18, 2018, 01:59:21 AM »
I've liked pretty much everything Landis has done on some level, with Dirk Gently and Superman: American Alien in particular being two of my favorite things. :yeshrug

Nola

« Reply #15595 on: July 18, 2018, 02:11:51 AM »
Is succession worth? So far it seems really melodramatic and incredibly far up its own ass.

I didn't really care for what I saw and gave up pretty quickly.

HBO should of just let David Milch and Brendan Gleeson make this show 4 years ago. Their similar concept and the talent behind it sounded a lot better. Mostly because David Milch is going to be a better writer than 98% of the rest of the writing talent in Hollywood.

Sharp Objects has been solid so far though.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15596 on: July 18, 2018, 02:15:31 AM »
dirk gently cancellation  :stahp

TVC15

« Reply #15597 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:27 AM »
I've liked pretty much everything Landis has done on some level, with Dirk Gently and Superman: American Alien in particular being two of my favorite things. :yeshrug

Please tell me you didn’t like Bright.

I didn’t even watch Dirk Gently. I love the books too much to see what that obnoxious little asswipe shredded them into.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15598 on: July 18, 2018, 02:50:43 AM »
Bright wasnt an oscar winner, but it was alright as a 90s Will Smith x Alien Nation movie.

TVC15

« Reply #15599 on: July 18, 2018, 03:16:04 AM »
The only nice thing I can say about Bright is that it wasn’t Mute, which was the worst 20 minutes of a movie I saw this year. Maybe last year, too. Possibly the year b... let’s just say in recent memory. Someone take the keys from Duncan Jones; he’s taken too much ketamine or something.
serge