Author Topic: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa  (Read 464233 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa
« Reply #1620 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:07 PM »
Speaking of McCain:

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Fox_host_tells_guest_mentioning_Keating_0925.html

How in the holy hell can ANYONE watch that clip and not think that is total bullshit? Kudos to that guy for actually trying to bring it up on FOX....I haven't heard one word on any other news show about McCains involvement in the Keating 5 scandal.

boboobob it WUZ LONG TIME AGO THIS AINT HISTORY CHANNEL
o_0

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #1621 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »
So the dust settles and Bush, Obama, the dems, and some republicans are on the same side. McCain on the other.

If this works I'm gonna barf

Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #1622 on: September 25, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »
Bergala called McCain a high-functioning moron on CNN.
野球

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa
« Reply #1623 on: September 25, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »
Many Bothans died to bring McCain back to Washington.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1624 on: September 25, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »
Many Bothans died to bring McCain back to Washington.

Fuck Bothans, they're a bunch of assholes anyway.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1625 on: September 25, 2008, 10:57:14 PM »

Damn, missed that.
MMA

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1626 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »

Damn, missed that.

He called Bush a high functioning moron, actually.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1627 on: September 25, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »

Damn, missed that.

He called Bush a high functioning moron, actually.

whats the difference

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1628 on: September 25, 2008, 11:03:20 PM »
So, are you guys looking forward to the collapse of the America economy tomorrow?  I think we should try and figure out how many points the dow will fall.  I've got 700 in the pool!
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1629 on: September 25, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »
Great Depression Part Deux
püp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1630 on: September 25, 2008, 11:05:35 PM »
So, are you guys looking forward to the collapse of the America economy tomorrow?  I think we should try and figure out how many points the dow will fall.  I've got 700 in the pool!
Nah they'll shut it down before that. I'm betting 500.
que

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1631 on: September 25, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
Great Depression Part Deux

Wall Street deserves it!

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1632 on: September 25, 2008, 11:07:23 PM »

Just as long as you don't bring Canadia down with it!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
aw hell, what do I care?  I have a government security job!  I'm safe!
[close]
MMA

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1633 on: September 25, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »
I get the feeling from watching CNN's coverage that the Republican contributor Ed Rollins just wants to bury his head in his hands and wish this whole thing away. I don't think he can get to the day after election day fast enough, win or lose.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1634 on: September 25, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
ANyone that is still for Tpain/Pailin has seen anything since the RNC or has gone onle for that matter...smh
Tpain is Peter Piper leading the rats(republican) right off the cliff and they will suck his dick during the walk there. smh
©ZH

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1635 on: September 25, 2008, 11:58:11 PM »
To be honest, if McCain makes gains from this, I give up.
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1636 on: September 26, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
Just watched the Palin interview with Couric! :lol
PSP

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Fuck this noise.
« Reply #1637 on: September 26, 2008, 12:26:59 AM »
I'm joining this thread late, but FUCK OH FUCK AM I IRATE:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/22/dirty-secret-of-the-bailo_n_128294.html
From the article, the in-question, and highly questionable clause in the Bailout:
Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

SERIOUSLY, WTF? We have let them wiretap our phones with no warrants. We've let them start a war in a sovereign nation with no exit plan (and even the Shrub's Daddy knew that it was a bad idea to go all the way in to Baghdad), and we've lost more Americans in battle /since/ the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED speech by a factor of, what, almost 20? We elect Democrats to BOTH houses of congress to see some balanced returned to the 3 branches, but NO, they aren't doing anything either. And now as the economy swirls down the toilet, the Neocons craft a "bailout" with just as much ability to track it as anything else they've been doing in this PATRIOT ACT-era, and it smells very similar to the million dollar exit packages for executives of companies that are going out of business.

I'm so fucking angry, I can barely think.

http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2008/09/24/25-harshest-reactions-to-the-wall-street-bailout/

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1638 on: September 26, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »
Apparently the House Republicans' alternate plan involves a two year moratorium on the capital gains tax, which would restore liquidity by encouraging people to sell off their troubled assets.

But the capital gains tax only applies to the profit you get from selling something.  So if the value has fallen since you bought it, you wouldn't pay any taxes on it anyway.  Conversely, anything this would save you money on wouldn't be a troubled asset.

So this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with its stated goal.  Argh.

If they were trying to make the gas tax holiday look not as dumb by comparison, mission accomplished.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1639 on: September 26, 2008, 12:49:49 AM »
yeah, the capital gains shit is the worst possible opportunism at the worst possible time
duc

« Reply #1640 on: September 26, 2008, 12:52:48 AM »
This reeks of Phil Gramm, methinks.
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1641 on: September 26, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
Anyone see Chris Rock on Larry King?  It was pretty funny.

He was pretty much saying with the economy is such dire straights, why vote for the guy with five houses, twelve cars and millions of dollars in assets over the guy with one house and one car.  Barack Obama is literally worried about the economy, because if he loses his house - he's homeless.  But McCain could lose half his houses and still sleep comfortably tonight. :lol
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1642 on: September 26, 2008, 01:35:15 AM »
Reading accounts of what went down today.

Sounds like the House GOP scuttled it with implicit support from McCain.  I'm pretty sure if he had decided to back the deal that they wouldn't have done this.

Not to say a bunch of Republican backbenchers wouldn't have thrown a fit, but the leadership would have done its best to get them in line.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1643 on: September 26, 2008, 01:46:51 AM »
yeah, this is definitely a populist gambit for the election. not saying agree with the original bailout plan -- the more i read about it, the worse it looks -- but fucking with the economy just to score points with idiot voters is noose-worthy.
duc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1644 on: September 26, 2008, 01:58:48 AM »
Yeah, the three-page Paulson plan was pretty crappy.  From what's being reported, the bipartisan agreement that Frank and Dodd hashed out with Treasury and the Senate Republicans was a lot better.

I really can't think of any motive for McCain's behavior ("suspend" campaign to save economy, run to DC and do nothing about the economy) other than demagoguery.

Using offshore drilling as a wedge issue cheesed me off because politicians were making completely specious arguments about subjects where most people don't know enough to smell out the BS, for purely selfish reasons.  But that was a pretty marginal issue in terms of real life impact.  This is throwing the welfare of the whole damn country in front of a train in order to get one up on the other guy.

I was so sanguine just a month ago!   Grrrrrrr.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1645 on: September 26, 2008, 02:03:15 AM »
yeah, i'm cool with the frank/dodd plan, and i think it'll pass, but mccain's inevitable new campaign tack  -- LOOK I STUCK UP FOR YOU AND YOUR TAX DOLLARS AGAINST THEM GREEDY FATCATS AND YER IRRESPONSIBLE BMW-DRIVING NEIGHBORS, HOORAY MAVERICK -- will play REALLY well come election time. september surprise :(

even worse, i suspect most of the republicans support frank/dodd bailout, but they want to run the WE OPPOSED THIS angle in the media as long as they can to play off of middle america's knee-jerk reactions to the bailout :( :(
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:09:26 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1646 on: September 26, 2008, 02:08:38 AM »
I really, jesus, just makes me so mad
o_0

MrAngryFace

o_0

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1648 on: September 26, 2008, 02:56:28 AM »
Where have I seen this before?

Republicans cut taxes and deregulate financial institutions.

Things go bad.  They go bad in a way that will last.  The fiscal situation is pretty dire.

A Democrat is elected, hoping to invest funds into infrastructure and a revamped healthcare system.  Instead, the crisis forces him to take unpopular belt-tightening measures including raising taxes.

Finally, the Republicans successfully run against the unpopular remedy to the mess they created in the first place.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1649 on: September 26, 2008, 03:00:18 AM »
try explaining that to the dipshit voters squawking about how they don't wanna "bail out their idiot neighbors"

seriously, this national schadenfreude is appalling
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:01:49 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1650 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:08 AM »
I don't think this is a win for McCain, at least not so far.  Frag's post at GAF seems on point in describing what went down and where we stand.

In general, something that's been rolling over in my mind: In the US, us liberals, especially the smartypants coastal elite types* have internalized the idea that we're a minority, horribly outnumbered by the freepers and dittoheads.

We see a lot of stupid shit in politics somehow get traction and a lot of people get away with telling obvious lies.  At a certain point it's easy to get reflexively defeatist.

I don't think the people on the radio hoping for the downfall of the economy and the comeuppance of their enemies (it's all very softcore Left Behind, isn't it?) are numerous enough to swing this.

I think more people, especially swing voters, have a very strong "Oh shit somebody do something and save me!" reflex balancing their vague suspicion of the fat cats on Wall Street.  We're talking about white suburbanites here.  Stability matters.

*Besides liberals, this also applies to centrist elite Hollywood Washington DC Jewish EB managers with vast stores of ill-gotten internet forum wealth.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #1651 on: September 26, 2008, 03:31:02 AM »
So why haven't Christian distinguished mentally-challenged fellows somehow have not (at least prominently) spun the downfall of the last superpower into their interpretation of Revelations yet?  Or even Nostradamus?
serge

Tristam

« Reply #1652 on: September 26, 2008, 03:37:17 AM »
try explaining that to the dipshit voters squawking about how they don't wanna "bail out their idiot neighbors"

seriously, this national schadenfreude is appalling

It's more depressing if you ask me.  :gloomy

gibletsngravy

« Reply #1653 on: September 26, 2008, 04:15:17 AM »
In the Roosevelt Room after the session, the Treasury secretary, Henry M. Paulson Jr., literally bent down on one knee as he pleaded with Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker, not to “blow it up” by withdrawing her party’s support for the package over what Ms. Pelosi derided as a Republican betrayal.

“I didn’t know you were Catholic,” Ms. Pelosi said, a wry reference to Mr. Paulson’s kneeling, according to someone who observed the exchange. She went on: “It’s not me blowing this up, it’s the Republicans.”

Mr. Paulson sighed. “I know. I know.”

:lol wow this is some wacky shit
♫♫♫

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #1654 on: September 26, 2008, 04:20:34 AM »
Regarding your post about the Republicans wanting to turn this into 1994 all over again, there are a few problems with that. One is, as you've mentioned before, the harsh millstone of demographics on the GOP. We've changed the map in our favor for decades, and we'll be the ones doing the absurd gerrymandering to keep our seats.

Next, I don't think our fiscal picture is that bleak once we get out of Iraq and get rid of those awful Bush tax cuts. I think that part of the middle-upper higher end of Obama's tax cut is going to have to get paired down, and we'll see some other reforms and cuts along the way. But democrats are going to have to get used to some deficit spending-this isn't going to be a Rubin-style treasury that goes for hardcore deficit reduction. It's going to be about running a deficit to get really important stuff like energy independence and health care done, while hoping to slowly reduce the deficit to a more reasonable annual number by the time Obama leaves office.

BTW, I think kos and the openleft crew are totally off their rockers regarding the bailout. Schumer/Frank/Dodd's bill looked good-it started out small, had good oversight, and got a lot of key provisions into it that needed to be there. No one ever wants to write a bailout bill, and they aren't popular with the public because they keenly point out the government's total failure to manage the situation, but this was a good one and I am beside myself in the hard left's refusal to accept reality.
The one thing I do agree with them is that the case for the necessity of the bailout has not been laid out clear, and though I feel that this is for market confidence reasons, this is taxpayer money and we deserve the know why this is really necessary so quickly.

As for the House GOP-McCain was the only Republican who could give them the cover with their constituencies. They are not worried about losing their seats this year but I am sure dead worried about getting hit with a primary battle in 2010 by the Club for Growth and other right-wing horror crews if they supported it.

BTW this election ended last monday, with the "fundamentals of the economy are strong" being McCain's Dukakis tankride moment. Right now it's just the intolerable wait until election day, and wondering which one of the swing states McCain might actually win.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:22:09 AM by Fragamemnon »
hex

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1655 on: September 26, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »
kos is almost always off his rocker. at some point, the far left becomes indistinguishable from the far right: they're just angry zealots demanding a national "reset".
duc

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #1656 on: September 26, 2008, 04:47:48 AM »
kos is almost always off his rocker. at some point, the far left becomes indistinguishable from the far right: they're just angry zealots demanding a national "reset".

he's got a good understanding of demographics and a sane head when it comes to elections. other stuff, not so much. The far left really is completely absurd on this, and keeps wanting to see the whole thing crash so that "the man gets it" or some bullshit when in reality the man is already set for life anyway. That CEO or fund manager the left wants to hate so much ? He doesn't care if things go totally in the shitter. He's got enough cash to do whatever the fuck he wants for the rest of his life.

Now to change the subject-how on earth is McCain going to prevent Sarah Palin from debating Joe Biden. It's clear that she's quite possibly the most genuinely stupid women I have ever seen run for any office. I bet if McCain ducks tomorrow's debate (which he might do because him and his handlers worry about getting punked completely), there will be a huge push to nix the VP debate. She's literally as smart as a sack of hammers, it's insane.
hex

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1657 on: September 26, 2008, 05:01:50 AM »
i do kinda enjoy the reprieve from the squealing diatribes of internet free market evangelists, now that they've temporarily gone into hiding
duc

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #1658 on: September 26, 2008, 05:03:34 AM »
i do kinda enjoy the reprieve from the squealing diatribes of internet free market evangelists, now that they've temporarily gone into hiding

They always come back. We can only hope one day that President Obama takes that huge super awesome voter list of his and starts comparing it with updated census data-PURGE HERE, PURGE NOW I say! only then can we truly defeat the enemy and keep the internet's discussion forums safe once and for all from fools and madmen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:08:21 AM by Fragamemnon »
hex

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1659 on: September 26, 2008, 05:14:46 AM »
Did you see McCain blame the pressure for him to show up for tomorrow's debate on Obama? If Obama had only agreed to his series of town hall meetings, there wouldn't be this emphasis on a single "debate"! Silly Obama, can't you do what the white man says?

McCain's campaign argument is now "baby, why you make me gotta hit you?"

My increasing theory is that this is all about Palin - that she is so incoherently awful beyond our imagination that even a single debate will tank the entire campaign.
乱学者

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #1660 on: September 26, 2008, 05:25:56 AM »
My increasing theory is that this is all about Palin - that she is so incoherently awful beyond our imagination that even a single debate will tank the entire campaign.

I agree with this. At first I was like "well, they'll just stuff her with talking points and she'll stumble through it", but after seeing her speak and her inability to impromptu any part of her speech or speak to the media-two things are clear. She lacks both the mental capacity to remember all of her talking points in such a way that she can repeat them and also lacks the ability to associate a question with the correct talking point. She's dumber than Bush is.

The town hall thing was always crap and a way to diminsh the actual debates and get McCain a chance to sell his issue stances on the same stage that Obama is selling his far more popular stances. He always wanted to equivocate the two in terms of the issues by making it a he said vs. she said on them ,and then grinding Obama down with negative personality ads.
hex

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1661 on: September 26, 2008, 05:29:53 AM »

Things go bad.  They go bad in a way that will last.  The fiscal situation is pretty dire.

A Democrat is elected, hoping to invest funds into infrastructure and a revamped healthcare system.  Instead, the crisis forces him to take unpopular belt-tightening measures including raising taxes.

Finally, the Republicans successfully run against the unpopular remedy to the mess they created in the first place.

Yup, yup, yup. Word-the-fuck-up. I've heard that we should never attribute to maliciousness that which can be explained by stupidity... but are they really that stupid?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1662 on: September 26, 2008, 05:32:42 AM »
she really is beauty-pageant level incoherent in her answers...it's amazing

I know that pols are spinning this every which way but it looks like at the end of the day, Americans understand McCain is not a white knight rushing in to save our economy (exactly the opposite, it seems) and 2-to-1 see this as political grandstanding at an extremely inopportune time. I can't see McCain giving Obama 90 minutes of unanswered face time with the American people, so he'll find a way to make it to Ole Miss. I think the fact that his campaign was not actually "suspended" in any way, shape, or form will also hurt him significantly with the pundit class next week.

If I were a betting man, I would not put money on Palin showing up to the VP debates. I don't know how they'll try to weasel out of it but it appears that a no-show is worth about $700 billion to them right now.
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1663 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:55 AM »

Yup, yup, yup. Word-the-fuck-up. I've heard that we should never attribute to maliciousness that which can be explained by stupidity... but are they really that stupid?

The phrase I've seen bandied about kos is "three times is enemy action," which seems pretty keen in this case.
乱学者

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #1664 on: September 26, 2008, 05:44:27 AM »
If I were a betting man, I would not put money on Palin showing up to the VP debates. I don't know how they'll try to weasel out of it but it appears that a no-show is worth about $700 billion to them right now.

The really sad part to this is that the only way they are going to do it is through more campaign theater, likely even more erratic and crazy than previous shenanigans.

My bet? Bristol gets an abortion and they call it a miscarry, or the "first dude" gets a faked heart attack. They so desparately want to drag her hillbilly family back into the picture to improve her image.
hex

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1665 on: September 26, 2008, 05:49:09 AM »
My bet? Bristol gets an abortion and they call it a miscarry, or the "first dude" gets a faked heart attack. They so desparately want to drag her hillbilly family back into the picture to improve her image.

The tinfoil hat brigade was predicting an October "miscarry" back when Palin was chosen... just sayin'!

Also: http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/palin_unveils_9_11

I'd put the over/under on the miscarriage - that's probably worth a 2-3 point swing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:51:55 AM by Synthesizer Patel »
乱学者

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1666 on: September 26, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
It seems to me that what we're seeing here are a confluence of two tides of idiocy- McCain making another "Hail Mary" type pass because he felt that his campaign was dead in the water (he was right) and House Republicans and a few select Senate Republicans (if I never see that idiot Richard Shelby and his "letter from leading economists" on my tv again, it will be too soon) deciding that they couldn't live with ANY plan based on Paulson's original three page monstrosity. 

Much like Palin, I think that McCain didn't have a long term plan other than "shaking it up" when he decided to faux suspend his campaign and return to War-shington RIGHT AWAY the next day sometime.  He probably thought that either he would swoop in and do a photo op meeting, forcing Obama to follow his lead and look Presidential right as the plan came together.  Or he would find an alternative with the House Republicans who had always been on record as hating the Paulson plan and allow him to look like he came up with a brilliant alternative to Paulson/Frank/Dodd. 

The problem is that the fundamentals of the House Republican "plan" are so laughably bad and do nothing to address the ACTUAL crisis we're in (in point of fact, they would do nothing but accelerate the downfall of the economy) that I can't see McCain getting any support from anyone on it.

So now we're at a point where the biggest bank failure in history happened last night, the apparently reasonable Frank/Dodd redux of the Paulson plan is stuck or dead thanks to the House Republicans and John McCain, and the market is about to open and in my opinion probably tank horribly.  Does John McCain show up to the debate in this environment?  I'd have to say that everything he's done in the past two days has backfired terribly on him.  Hell, even Palin is starting to look more and more like the albatross I thought she was, even to people as dumb as Joe Scarborough. 

At this point I'm not sure what McCain can possibly do to win.  I think as things shake out this will be something that drives just another nail in the GOP's coffin this November, which is fine by me.  Maybe we get 60 senators after all.
yar

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1667 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »
well damn

i'm out of the loop one evening and everything goes to shit again?
Tonya

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1668 on: September 26, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »

wrong!  the real far left demands a global reset, and does not read or post to kos.
QED

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #1669 on: September 26, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »

wrong!  the real far left demands a global reset, and does not read or post to kos.

The real far left mostly hangs out in a dusty book café, picking crumbs from beards and talking about how things will be when the revolution finally comes.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1670 on: September 26, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »
I LOVE KARL MARX AND HOMOS
QED

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1671 on: September 26, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=3105288&page=1 -- jesus christ what a political clusterfuck
o_0

MrAngryFace

o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1673 on: September 26, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »
[youtube=425,350]MT-XgrrXADo[/youtube].
o_0

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1674 on: September 26, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
I think Letterman did the nation a service by showing that feed.

This whole economic meltdown is blowing up in McCain's face.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1675 on: September 26, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
:drudge BREAKING :drudge

McCain is going to the debate.  I wonder how he'll characterize his appearance, as there's NOT a deal in place.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #1676 on: September 26, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »
McCain's tracking poll numbers today-the first full set since this wild ride started on Wednesday-are showing a collapse of support and strong swell towards Obama. His move was a transparent political ploy, and the people have judged it as such.
hex

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1677 on: September 26, 2008, 12:09:55 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=3105288&page=1 -- jesus christ what a political clusterfuck

good wrap up of all that's gone down recently

and yes, it does look like mccain is a bit of a drama queen.

Tonya

Rman

« Reply #1678 on: September 26, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
Did you guys see the McCain camp press release?  I have lost so much respect for McCain in this campaign.
Statement By McCain Campaign On Negotiations

John McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis.
In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington.  At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers’ money to bailout bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices

Both parties in both houses of Congress and the administration needed to come together to find a solution that would deserve the trust of the American people.  And while there were attempts to do that, much of yesterday was spent fighting over who would get the credit for a deal and who would get the blame for failure.  There was no deal or offer yesterday that had a majority of support in Congress.  There was no deal yesterday that included adequate protections for the taxpayers.  It is not enough to cut deals behind closed doors and then try to force it on the rest of Congress — especially when it amounts to thousands of dollars for every American family.

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday where Barack Obama’s priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners.  The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.
Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the Administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the Senator will travel to the debate this afternoon.  Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1679 on: September 26, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »
The bailout bill is still unpopular with Americans - he may be able to spin this to his advantage.
PSP