Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083141 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #10200 on: October 27, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »
Downton Abbey s5e6

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edith's lover is confirmed dead

Mary: "lmao what did he even like about Edith"
Mary celebrates and gets a haircut
Mary tells Edith that she ruins everything
Mary decides to have a party
Mary continues to juggle two men who for reasons unknown continue to thirst over her.
[close]

I'm TIRED of this CUNT. #teamedith

Why the fuck was that even dragged out for SIX EPISODES. It could have easily been revealed within the first three episodes, boom the end.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10201 on: October 28, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »

We about to eat this winter Esch

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #10202 on: October 28, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »
imgonnaeat.gif
reckt

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10203 on: October 30, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
Downton Abbey and Sons of Anarchy are both shows I one looked forward to and now can't even be bothered to watch their final seasons.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10204 on: October 30, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
Shit is legit pissing me off. It's a show I would anticipate - even after the quality drop, I still wanted to see what was going on each year. The atmosphere of the show is still good, I love the characters, the banter is often fun...but it's just bad now. I thought the first episode of this season showed promise, second was ok. But since then it's been a downward spiral.

Too much Mary. Too much Downton. Too much Emo Edith. Every arc revolves around a 30 mile radius of the house apparently. There's almost never anything happening on screen anywhere else. I would have loved for someone, anyone to go to America. Or Germany. Or anywhere instead of having the entire cast in one place all the time.

S1>S3>S2>S4>S5

I know some people disliked S2 and it definitely was melodramatic and the beginning of lol worthy side stories, but I loved all the WWI stuff.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10205 on: October 30, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
Long lost amnesiac plotline in S2 really killed the show for me, there was just no way to look at the show in the same way again. I mean I still liked it but it instantly dispelled the notion that the show was anything other than really well produced trash tv (not that there's anything wrong with that, I did keep watching and enjoying it)

So even though I made it through S2 just fine and can't be arsed for S5, S1>S3>S4>S5>S2
___

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10206 on: October 30, 2014, 03:40:38 PM »
Downton Abbey and Sons of Anarchy are both shows I one looked forward to and now can't even be bothered to watch their final seasons.

I never got into Downton but I used to love SoA. Couldn't make it more than halfway through s3 gave up. Sounds like it never recovered.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10207 on: October 30, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
S2 had too much strong material to shitcan due to one plotline IMO. The war, the hospital, Sybil being amazing, Tom being a communist in the open...I fucked with it. But I agree that plotline did expose the man behind the curtain, so to speak.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10208 on: October 31, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
Watched the Constantine pilot, was decent enough, apparently they retooled it after the pilot to get rid of the "average everyday sidechick" to replace her with a less mentally stable or "normal" character from the comics and take the show in a slightly different direction.

It's kinda hard to watch with him not having a cigarette in his hands 90% of the time though. Distracting. Stupid anti-American liberals preventing our broadcasters from providing complete quality entertainment.

Other than that they got the character close enough for a broadcast version I guess.

Gotham had a cool villain this week. And more of that foreshadowing what the city becomes. Nice Bullock fleshing out and giving Donal Logue more to do.

cool breeze

« Reply #10209 on: October 31, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »
my current favorite thing about Arrow is Diggle rolling up to these missions with street clothes and a pistol.  it only gets better the more goofballs in costumes with bows are around him.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #10210 on: October 31, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »
I know one thing, if they ever do some sort of movie or television series about George Burns and Gracie Allen, the casting director needs to get after Anatol Yusef.

sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10211 on: October 31, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
Turkey, why do you show two episodes of Suburgatory? Just to show me actors I like slumming it up?

« Reply #10212 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
Turkey, why do you show two episodes of Suburgatory? Just to show me actors I like slumming it up?

And it's been canceled, so nothing that happens matters now. :-/
野球

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10213 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
my current favorite thing about Arrow is Diggle rolling up to these missions with street clothes and a pistol.  it only gets better the more goofballs in costumes with bows are around him.
Even weirder, people just strolling in and out of Olivers base of operations like it's nothing. He has no security, nothing :heh

Oliver needs a break man. People constantly at his neck. Strolling into his base throwing shit at him.

And it's been canceled, so nothing that happens matters now. :-/
I love the series finale because it plays out like they showed up on set that day and just threw the scripts out because they knew they were canned.

Jane Levy is bae though
http://i.minus.com/ijxxpSe0GRJv.jpg

cool breeze

« Reply #10214 on: October 31, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
Even weirder, people just strolling in and out of Olivers base of operations like it's nothing. He has no security, nothing :heh

Oliver even has a second slightly more hidden base in the city.  I get why they don't want to build a new set but it's still funny.  Thea never questions why these dudes keep showing up at a shutdown nightclub in the slums. 

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10216 on: November 01, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »

Gotham had a cool villain this week. And more of that foreshadowing what the city becomes. Nice Bullock fleshing out and giving Donal Logue more to do.

Ya it was a good episode

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10217 on: November 01, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
Another good Shield  episode.

benjipwns

« Reply #10218 on: November 02, 2014, 12:15:35 AM »
Second episode of Constantine has some decent stuff, they definitely decided they could get closer to the comic in terms of themes/characters after shooting the Pilot. Some of the demon/horror scenes are pretty sweet.

Though, and this was a lesson Burn Notice never learned, if you're going to do a mix of CGI and real explosions, don't have other objects that don't react to the explosion in the frames with your CGI one.

BUT HE NEEDS HIS CIGARETTES. AND TEASING ME WITH SCENES WHERE HE PULLS ONE OUT JUST TO PUT IT AWAY SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.

Ya it was a good episode
I like how they're "hiding" the crazies in plain sight and yet making them nonchalant about their psychopathic ideas. As opposed to making the villains blatant Arkham material.

I've always liked the Batman canon's notion that when Batman eliminated all the normal crime/gangs, something still had the fill the gap in Gotham and it had to be mad enough to hold its own against Batman's madness. So maybe I'm imparting that into the show and it's not actually trying to show that insanity bubbling under the normal Falconi/Maroni/Macaroni/etc. crime lords surface. It none the less is hitting that spot for me.

I like that they're starting to show some of that in Bruce too. His matter-of-fact stone cold logical delivery of the line about how the Goat won't come for him because there's nobody who would lose him was pretty epic.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:25:53 AM by benjipwns »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10219 on: November 02, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
Started watching The Assets because I can only unwind by consuming entertainment in which people live high stress lives full of lies and betrayal. The opening apes that of The Americans' so hard. ABC pls. :dead

It's kinda generic so far, pretzel and beer espionage entertainment if you will. I enjoy that a woman whose purpose in the biz is her brains is the main character.

I liked this joke a KGB officer told someone while beating them senseless sending them to be shot interrogating them for counter-revolutionary activities.

"Russians have saying about Lubyanka Prison. They call it the tallest building in Moscow. You know why?" (Beat) "Because from the basement you can see all the way to Siberia." (Baby faced guard in room laughs unironically.)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10220 on: November 03, 2014, 12:49:11 PM »
For some reason (boredom, I guess) I've been watching some tv lately, even though passive forms of entertainment aren't really my bag these days.

Constantine- the first couple of episodes have been uneven, but the dude they cast as Constantine makes up for it. He really nails the role. They've been creative with the smoking thing (showing puffs of smoke with the camera following him in a rear tracking shot, showing him playing with the lighter, holding a cigarette but not smoking it, etc) but I really find myself wishing this could be on at least regular cable or preferably HBO/Showtime/Cinemax. Ah well. Still fairly enjoyable so far, will keep watching. I give it approximately 1.5 seasons, though.

Arrow- Started binge watching this the other day, I'm about half way through season one. I kind of find the island stuff more interesting than the present day storylines, tbh, but it's competently done and most of the cast is engaging enough... Laurel tho

:gurl

I can definitely tell I won't be able to stick with this show through the end as I'm like 99.99% sure it will veer into stupid soap opera-ish shit before too long.
yar

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #10221 on: November 03, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »
Laurel gets worse and worse.  I have the suspicion the creators just want to kill her off.
vin

Steve Contra

« Reply #10222 on: November 03, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »
Oh no, she's not getting killed off, I just think they would if they could.  They clearly don't like her.
vin

cool breeze

« Reply #10223 on: November 03, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
I actually think the whole

black canary transformation thing is an arc they put together to rehab the character. She's been so fucking shit they're going to essentially rewrite her personality over.
[close]

the worst part is (season 3 spoiler)

it seemed like they finally found a sensible role for the character.  she prosecutes the criminals brought in by the arrow.  build on that instead of turning her into yet another vigilante.  more and more it's like changed her vice from alcohol and pills to violence.  Laurel begs Oliver to kill a suspect? what? should be the other way around.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #10224 on: November 04, 2014, 06:56:52 AM »
Oh man, Gotham has done more for the Penguin than the last 20 years of deliberate rehab by multiple writers in the comics combined.

Zsasz was a smart character to use and putting just a few tallies on his arm so far, and pretty fun portrayal.

I had always thought Bullock's "thatta boy" in the pilot was because he knew Gordon didn't actually kill the Penguin and he'd reveal his anger was for show, but I guess not?
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10225 on: November 04, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »
Because I'm on a quest to watch every single genre show that has ever exisisted, I'm atching up on Grimm and still only 10 or so episodes into s1 but nothing I've seen has impressed me so far. Will still watch every single episode though.

:goty2

Quick Note: The casting criteria for the lead was definitely "Prettiest late twenties to early thirties white male" with his best friend being "typical veteran black guy detective"

Kara

« Reply #10226 on: November 04, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »
Grimm is AMAZINGLY fuckstupid. My bad TV bro and I have so much argot just from watching that turd.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10227 on: November 05, 2014, 04:08:51 AM »
Grimm is AMAZINGLY fuckstupid. My bad TV bro and I have so much argot just from watching that turd.

I like the nerdy vegan wolf dude. That's kind of it so far.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10228 on: November 05, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
Gotham :bow2

I liked the batman foreshadowing about anarchy without the mob

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #10229 on: November 05, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
The Penguin Show is awesome. 
Tonya

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10230 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
Laurel Lance doesn't just skip leg day. She's never even heard of it.

Kara

« Reply #10231 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
I like the nerdy vegan wolf dude. That's kind of it so far.

We call him BBW. :heh (This is a devolution of blutbad.)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10232 on: November 05, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
Thea this season
 :lawd
Goth Felicity
 :noah

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10233 on: November 06, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
Literally came in here to say :lawd at thea with the crop tops

edit:

bit of a shit plot twist though, like is anyone going to believe that Roy is the actual killer and not being manipulated or something? he already had an entire season of being aggro and a semi villain, you can't go back, kate.
[close]

Bless up

[close]

:noah :noah :noah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10234 on: November 06, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
Felicity in PJs was great.  And goth Felicity, that was also great.   

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #10235 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:01 PM »
WDW

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #10236 on: November 08, 2014, 11:35:40 PM »
Just finished up Rick and Morty. Super, super, SUPER good. It's like a way better Futurama.
zzzzz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10237 on: November 09, 2014, 12:52:23 AM »
Grimm the kinda show that'll hit you with a "To Be Continued..." the put a "Sorry" right under it.

:heh

Quaker

« Reply #10238 on: November 09, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
I miss The Knick and Boardwalk Empire. All that's left for me is Homeland, Walking Dead and The Newsroom. I find them entertaining enough that I wouldn't say I hatewatch them but they're so...dumb.

fey

« Reply #10239 on: November 10, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »
That "season finale" of Downtown SHITTEY gave me internal hemorrhoids.

I hope the purpose of this Rose and Atticus storyline is that they move to Germany and are KILLED bye

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10240 on: November 13, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/12/arrow-black-canary-katie-cassidy-photos/

wildcat not being an older dude :piss2

I also didn't realize who Atom is.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10241 on: November 13, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
She looks hot as fuck though.  Honestly her character has been better this season. 

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10242 on: November 13, 2014, 06:39:11 PM »
Gotham is stunningly terrible. The writing on this show is agonizing and the acting doesn't help a bit. It must get decent ratings if it hasn't been shitcanned and shunned by now, I guess.

benjipwns

« Reply #10243 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
Gotham is stunningly terrible. The writing on this show is agonizing and the acting doesn't help a bit. It must get decent ratings if it hasn't been shitcanned and shunned by now, I guess.
For FOX it does alright in regular numbers, but it does pretty huge in the DVR+7 like 75% of its numbers come from that. SHIELD also gets like 80% of its viewers that way.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10244 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
DANGER FIVE SEASON 2 AIRING JANUARY 4th

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10245 on: November 14, 2014, 06:36:23 AM »
For FOX it does alright in regular numbers, but it does pretty huge in the DVR+7 like 75% of its numbers come from that. SHIELD also gets like 80% of its viewers that way.
I don't really know what this means, but if you're saying Gotham is surviving off of the nerd faction that's floating the Shield show, I trust you.

Shield bored me out of my fucking skull. Gotham manages to get consistently worse on an episode to episode basis and has thus hooked me. Hearing lead characters having to stumble over the pronunciation of 'oswald cobblepot' :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #10246 on: November 14, 2014, 07:07:19 AM »
DVR+7 just means people who watch it on DVR within a week. It's an attempt to better grasp the viewership potential since less people watch shows as their air these days. (And DVD/Blu-Ray sales potential.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10247 on: November 15, 2014, 12:49:40 AM »
Watched Constantine tonight; it was a pretty decent adaptation of DeLano's Hunger storyline, except:
Why avoid using Poppa Midnight for tonight if you're just going to trot him out in next week's episode? Why try to redeem John's use of Gaz as a human sacrifice by having Gaz be willing? Why remove the most important portion of the storyline, where rampant consumerism is the focus?
[close]

Guy who plays Constantine is spot-on.

The sidechick is really cute and smang-able, but can't act. I mean, the guy who plays JC is not exactly a tremendous screen presence, but she is really struggling to keep up.

benjipwns

« Reply #10248 on: November 15, 2014, 01:16:35 AM »
Papa Midnite was in the previous episode quite a bit too, maybe they thought they were overusing him or something.

The Constantine actor is great. One thing I really like so far in the show is that they don't telegraph all his "three steps ahead" plans by focusing the camera and everything on them always, but they're often there in the scenes seemingly irrelevant.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10249 on: November 15, 2014, 01:20:21 AM »
Papa Midnite was in the previous episode quite a bit too, maybe they thought they were overusing him or something.

The Constantine actor is great. One thing I really like so far in the show is that they don't telegraph all his "three steps ahead" plans by focusing the camera and everything on them always, but they're often there in the scenes seemingly irrelevant.

Tonight was my first episode, so I'm not really sure what you're referring to. Feel free to spoiler tag something if you've got the energy. :-*

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10250 on: November 15, 2014, 01:28:51 AM »
This episode is definitely the best one that has aired so far.

benjipwns

« Reply #10251 on: November 15, 2014, 01:29:56 AM »
John doing what seems like random pickpocketing or making people late because he's a jerk or seemingly walking into a trap that he actually intended on so things were setup for him. You know, the stuff the character in in the comics is always doing. All while leaving any of his allies in the dark about everything.

EDIT: Actually, they even wrote the sidekick from the pilot who wasn't continuing into the series out by John doing one of these.  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10252 on: November 15, 2014, 01:36:36 AM »
Oh, yeah. OK.

The resolve tonight was like that, and I felt like John was buttering Gaz up for that sole reason, but Constantine ended up being not... well, it didn't resolve in the same, "CONSTANTINE, YOU BASTARD!" way that the comic story did. Wasn't bad at all though.

Who the hell is the angel who keeps showing up?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10253 on: November 15, 2014, 01:47:42 AM »
Oh, yeah. OK.

The resolve tonight was like that, and I felt like John was buttering Gaz up for that sole reason, but Constantine ended up being not... well, it didn't resolve in the same, "CONSTANTINE, YOU BASTARD!" way that the comic story did. Wasn't bad at all though.

Who the hell is the angel who keeps showing up?

Manny. Some angel sent to "watch" him for the shit he did and to guide him with the whole "rising evil" iirc.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10254 on: November 17, 2014, 02:41:21 AM »
Thanks.

After watching a significant amount of it in Turkey, I have turned around on big bang theory. I have seen a number of scenes that have made me guffaw, the geek references soundmore authentic and respectful than I remember, and the blond girl who sounds like a chipmunk is smangable.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #10255 on: November 17, 2014, 07:43:11 AM »
just started watching Matthew Berry's new-ish series Toast of London about a horrible stage actor and it is fucking hilarious.

A++

http://vimeo.com/47933244
Tonya

Steve Contra

« Reply #10256 on: November 17, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »
Peaky Blinders is really good.  Some of the plotting is silly, but Cillian Murphy is like Benedict Cumberbatch if Benedict Cumberbatch was any good.
vin

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #10257 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
Peaky Blinders is really good.  Some of the plotting is silly, but Cillian Murphy is like Benedict Cumberbatch if Benedict Cumberbatch was any good.

I'm about halfway through the first season. I really like this show but the older brother is a fucking idiot.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10258 on: November 17, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

My brother was raving about this last night. I'll give it a shot.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10259 on: November 17, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »
finished up true crime over the weekend. woody is da gawd