Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188714 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1620 on: December 04, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
Who is Aegies?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1621 on: December 04, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »
What was TVii supposed to be again? Cause you'd think Netflix or Hulu would suffice when it comes to TV shows and movies.

I think TVii is Netflix and Hulu.
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1622 on: December 04, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »
Wii U will make it just off of the strength of existing Nintendo IPs.  The Gamecube was like that too.  I'm still standing behind my prediction of 30-35 million units sold.
🍆🍆

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1623 on: December 04, 2012, 01:21:36 PM »
Wii U will make it just off of the strength of existing Nintendo IPs.  The Gamecube was like that too.  I'm still standing behind my prediction of 30-35 million units sold.

Except Nintendo doesn't make em as good as they used to imho. Wii was a step down from GCN which was a step down from N64 which was...

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1624 on: December 04, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
Who is Aegies?
polygon, powered by Internet Explorer.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1625 on: December 04, 2012, 02:57:52 PM »

It doesn't even get hot enough for the exhaust vents to dry your tears :(

:rofl I can imagine this being said on a cruncheons ep

Speaking of, where is my gotdamn Cruncheons ffs?
©ZH

« Reply #1626 on: December 04, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »

Except Nintendo doesn't make em as good as they used to imho. Wii was a step down from GCN which was a step down from N64 which was...

I've never understood the love for the N64. That thing was a gigantic piece of shit. The Gamecube is so much better.
野球

« Reply #1627 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
I've never understood the love for the N64. That thing was a gigantic piece of shit. The Gamecube is so much better.

I think it comes down to two things:

1.) For some of us, that was the definitive local multiplayer experience. At no stage after that was it as easy to sit around and enjoy stuff the way I remember Goldeneye and the AKI wrestling games, for instance.

2.) Some of the first party stuff was more memorable. Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, Mario Kart 64, and more stick out a little more than the Gamecube equivalents.

Mind you, both of the above probably amount more to nostalgia than an earnest assessment of the quality of the machines or libraries.

Fifstar

« Reply #1628 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

My estimations are in the same Bracket, although I'm a bit less confident about them after the mess that this launch seems to be.

They don't really have a target audience besides the Nintendo faithful and kids/families. I believe they have lost some of their core fans during the last years due to the low powered Wii&Wii U and because they've overused their key franchises and neglected their smaller franchises. On the other hand, their huge success during last generation should give them some additional mindshare with the family crowd, so it might even out to sales somewhat above gamecube. Hardcore, multiplayer and bro crowd obviously won't be interested.
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #1629 on: December 04, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »

Probably my least favorite Nintendo console. Lame controller and a huge step down from SNES.

At least there was Smash though, that game was ace.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1630 on: December 04, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
N64 had four games that were essential to play (for their time). OoT, Mario 64, GoldenEye and WCW Revenge. I was a Sony dude, but those four games were better than anything on the PS1.

I kind of cheated though. I would buy the console before Christmas every year, play the shit out of it during the holiday break and then return it after Christmas and get my money back. In those 2-3 weeks I was able to rent/beat about every N64 game worth owning. My opinion of that system might be different if I actually owned the thing for 4-5 years.

« Reply #1631 on: December 04, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »
The controller was absolutely terrible. I remember playing Goldeneye at a buddy's house once and thinking "This is it? This is what everyone is freaking out over?" At this point in my life I was a PC only player (sat out the PS1/SAT/N64 gen for the most part before getting back into console gaming with the Dreamcast) so I was used to more polished FPS games.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I did love and play the shit out of Ocarina of Time on my PC with an N64 emulator.  8)
[close]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:33:19 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1632 on: December 04, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
Uuh Mario Kart 64, Pilotwings, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Blast Corps, Majporas Mask, F zero?

I def place the n64 above cube cause every n game pn it was better
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:33:54 PM by Premium Lager »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1633 on: December 04, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

Ditto - blurry as hell graphics, fog everywhere, sub 15-FPS framerates, one of the worst controllers ever designed, barely any RPGs... probably my least favorite Nintendo system ever... though I do love the Treasure games on the platform (Bangai-O/Mischief Makers/Sin and Punishment) and the Zeldas... and played a shitload of original SSB before Melee.

Cube was definitely more my speed.
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1634 on: December 04, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »
What did Cube have exclusive wise.

F Zero GX and?

« Reply #1635 on: December 04, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
Baten Kaitos 1 and 2, REmake, Wind Waker, Tales of Symphonia, Super Robot Wars GC, Gundam Ace Pilot, Fire Emblem.

It was pretty shitty if that was the only system you owned, but it was a great 2nd console for the generation.
野球

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1636 on: December 04, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
Yup, N64 sucked alright.  Cube did as well if we're talking about it.  So did the Wii.  Nintendo has basically made shit consoles since the 2d era.
vin

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1637 on: December 04, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »
Baten Kaitos 1 and 2, REmake, Wind Waker, Tales of Symphonia, Super Robot Wars GC, Gundam Ace Pilot, Fire Emblem.

It was pretty shitty if that was the only system you owned, but it was a great 2nd console for the generation.

If you like those kind of games then I agree (jap rpg's and such) the GCN had more of those.

I liked the N64 controller more then the GCN one too btw  :-*

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1638 on: December 04, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »
my wal mart, granted the only one in te span of liek 2 hours still had wiius in stock. it took me 2 years to find a wii 1 up here but there they were.

$350, fuk that shite
USA

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1639 on: December 04, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
4-player local multiplayer on the N64 was utterly amazing in the late-90's. I can't hate.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1640 on: December 04, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »
xbox > gamecube
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1641 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
Xbox is clearly my fav that gen, Halo, Kotor, Rainbow Six Online.

Himu

« Reply #1642 on: December 04, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
jsrf, panzer dragoon orta, gun valkyrie, otogi, spikeout, outrun 2, ninja gaiden black, doa2u, phantom dust, riddick, forza, crimson skies...

Fantastic system. One of my all time faves. I probably like almost as much as ps2. I mean, most noteworthy ps2 games were also available on xbox. Since 360 is bc, I've definitely played xbox games as much as ps2 games over the years. Haven't played a ps2 game since 2009/2010. Meanwhile, I cranked out SSX3 just the other day on my 360 for a quick race.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:19:00 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1643 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »
4-player local multiplayer on the N64 was utterly amazing in the late-90's. I can't hate.

that shit was a joke if you had access to some REAL t1 gaming goodness back in the day. quake, diablo, starcraft, unreal, fuck even a c-grade fps killed whatever was going on with the n64 at the time. it was like the divide between 360 and wii, except 100x more laughable
pcp

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #1644 on: December 04, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
the N64 was such a weird console - it bombed so badly in the UK they had to lop 100 quid of it with in a few months. And jesus... the games were 64.99 ... in 1996 :/ you do the conversion rate on that bad boy! (except for Turok - that thing was 74.99)

Anyways - the controller was perfect for a set of games and utter shiiiiiite for everything else. It was clearly fantastic for Mario, was great for ISS64 and great for Golden Eye... but year, it hamstrung every other game pretty much.

The N64 games wise is surprisingly not the full on turd sandwich - whilst we got some truly dire 1st party efforts (fuck off, Mario Kart 64 was horrific and anyone who likes Smash Brothers needs to go play on the railway tracks) we got some hot stuff - Mario Golf (whilst the GBC version knocks it into a cocked hat) and Mario Tennis were great.

Some big hitters from 3rd parties too - ISS64 , the precursor to Winning Eleven, was amazing for the time and consumed many 2-player evenings, Goldeneye was great, Perfect Dark was a bit held back by the hardware but still good.

Then we had the more off beat stuff - Sin and Punishment (somewhat overrated but still worth a play through or two), Space Station Silicon Valley, BlastCorps, and i'm sure i'm missing a whole bunch more.

For me the N64 was a nightmare - i was into my final few months of university. I had my dissertation on interface designs to complete as well as creating the interactive CD guide for the University to go with it, and revision for the final exams....

... and fucking Mario 64 to finish.

O=X

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1645 on: December 04, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
Mario 64 was pretty crappy.  Probably the most overrated game this side of Animal Crossing.
vin

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1646 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »
While the doofuses played Star Fox 64 in the other room, I was rocking faces over QUAKEWORLD. Team Fortress :punch

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1647 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
I like N64 <3

Cartridges <3
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1648 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
While the doofuses played Star Fox 64 in the other room, I was rocking faces over QUAKEWORLD. Team Fortress :punch

THE ORIGINAL TEAM FORTRESS :gun
HEADHUNTERS :gun
DOWNLOADING A BUNCH OF SKINS THAT LOOK LIKE WRESTLERS AND XMEN :gun
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1649 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »

that shit was a joke if you had access to some REAL t1 gaming goodness back in the day. quake, diablo, starcraft, unreal, fuck even a c-grade fps killed whatever was going on with the n64 at the time. it was like the divide between 360 and wii, except 100x more laughable

Local multiplayer with friends sitting on the couch around the TV > Yelling at the computer screen because some faceless player on the other side of the country is totally using hacks
dog

« Reply #1650 on: December 04, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
so in college while other people were socializing face-to-face, you guys were shut-in in the room next door playing with internet people and sneering at them for their poor taste

there's a little gaffer in everyone, i suppose

I was actually doing LANs with friends in the same room or down the hall in the dorms. :rock
野球

Himu

« Reply #1651 on: December 04, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
so in college while other people were socializing face-to-face, you guys were shut-in in the room next door playing with internet people and sneering at them for their poor taste

there's a little gaffer in everyone, i suppose

to be fair, lans were a huge thing in the late 90's.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1652 on: December 04, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
we had internet cafes in st louis fucking county back then; im sure they had them around where you lived too. you take your nerd friends up there, meet a rival group of nerds, and game all day SOCIALLY. and no one has to degrade themselves by playing an n64.
pcp

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1653 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »
we had internet cafes in st louis fucking county back then; im sure they had them around where you lived too. you take your nerd friends up there, meet a rival group of nerds, and game all day SOCIALLY. and no one has to degrade themselves by playing an n64.

:lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1654 on: December 04, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »
:bow Comfy couch gaming with friends :bow2
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #1655 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »
N64 local co-op was amazing.  Part of it had to do with being a kid and being in an environment where you could reasonably get people together to play video games.     

Never got into Goldeneye or any shooters on the N64 (except Conker, if that counts).  I'd always play them and be like "...can't we play snowboard kids or mario party."  Solo time I was playing shooters on my PC.  First time I wanted to play a shooter on consoles was with Halo. And I put up with all those wrestling games too.  I couldn't tell the different between them.  ECW or some shit.

Anyways - the controller was perfect for a set of games and utter shiiiiiite for everything else. It was clearly fantastic for Mario, was great for ISS64 and great for Golden Eye... but year, it hamstrung every other game pretty much.

I think it's telling that everyone just copied the Dual Shock and Saturn 3D controller with their next consoles.

Though, Sony never stopped copying the Dual Shock for some reason.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #1656 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Jet Force Gemini

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1657 on: December 04, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
Freshman year of college for me was 1999, so I got my friends to play on the ultimate co-op console...

:bow Power Stone :bow2
:bow MVC2 :bow2
:bow Soul Calibur :bow2
:bow Virtua Tennis :bow2

Xbox 1 is probably the least favorite system I own. Apart from a few SEGA titles and fighting games that have mostly been superseded by 360 ports/sequels, there was literally nothing else for me.
^_^

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1658 on: December 04, 2012, 10:43:31 PM »
My friend had a Nintendo 64 and a Doctor V64 he bought for like $250, so he had just about every N64 game. We played a lot of Army Men Sarge's Heroes, which is a shitty game, but sure is a lot of fun sniping your buds while standing on a toilet seat. We had to buy our own controllers, so I bought the cheapest piece of shit knockoff boomerang controller I could find at Wal-Mart :lol Mostly we played SNES, Genesis, and PS1 fighting games (WWF War Zone :rock) while drinking and belittling each other - ultimate victory was achieved when you got someone so pissed off they left the house.
sup

Himu

« Reply #1659 on: December 04, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
dude, i forgot army men games. remember those egm reviews of army men games? lol.
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1660 on: December 04, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »
we only played sarge's heroes multiplayer - tried some of the single player and whoooooooaaaawhatabunchabullshit
sup

Himu

« Reply #1661 on: December 04, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »
Played this every weekend with my friend in 1998/1999.

IYKYK

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #1662 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
Mario 64 was pretty crappy.  Probably the most overrated game this side of Animal Crossing.

I think Mario 64 has been hit with an unfair backlash - i thought it was a brilliant game and i loved every second of it. #shrug

re: LANs - i had two computers - one good and one shitty, i needed the shitty one for testing the final year project. It could run Quake in a tiny window, whilst the dev computer could run it no worries. Playing that two players was pretty awesome.

It's kind of funny - i had a year in industry and one of the guys there was a pro-Doom player. He came to the house and showed me MOUSE LOOK on quake... MY WORLD, OH MY GOD, TURNED UPSIDE DOWN! :O

All this said - king game of the house? Sensible World of Soccer. 4 of us in the same league. We'd play our games whilst the other three jeered and tried to put us off and the tension when we played each other was amazing. We also had the hilarity of me owning a shit joystick and a good joystick, so we'd coin toss to see who got which stick in the event of a head-to-head. Epic gaming days.

Hell, we used to have "the drunken challenge" - everyone plays a short game vs one of the stupid teams in the game called "Crisp Flavours" - probably the worst team in the game. Players would assume control of Brazil. As we slowly consumed Mad Dog 20/20 the game was that the first player to concede a goal had to pay for the others night out. The tension was amazing. 94-96 gaming... when we had friends and shit. :(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:11:50 PM by DCharlieJP »
O=X

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1663 on: December 04, 2012, 11:21:53 PM »
Super Mario 64 was the greatest thing ever created, according to my ten-year-old self. I can still play it just fine today, though.
dog

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1664 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:15 PM »
It's kind of funny - i had a year in industry and one of the guys there was a pro-Doom player. He came to the house and showed me MOUSE LOOK on quake... MY WORLD, OH MY GOD, TURNED UPSIDE DOWN! :O

I remember being a point of ridicule at my first LAN event for being a filthy keyboard Doom player :(
itm

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1665 on: December 04, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »
Played this every weekend with my friend in 1998/1999.

N64 :bow2

GC :piss2

« Reply #1666 on: December 04, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »
I don't want to think about how many hours we wasted on Counterstrike in college. :lol
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1667 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:05 AM »
10 years of PSO was the biggest time sink for me, and pso2 is launching soon :'(

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1668 on: December 05, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »
N64 was crap and it's library was incredibly overrated.
Drunk

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1669 on: December 05, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
Was never really a fan of the N64 either.

the game i played and like was smash, mario kart, oot, wrestlemania 2000 (i never laughed so hard until i played that with some friends).

goldeneye was alright, perfect dark was alright

i was also never a fan of mario 64 and to be honest i still don't give a fuck about it or 3d mario in general
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:35:21 AM by Purple Filth »

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #1670 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:20 AM »
it was definitely crap (though i got many hours out of the wrasslin games),

i should remove those unboxed N64 US/JPN games and the region convertor from the care package or.... ?
O=X

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1671 on: December 05, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
N64 was pretty poo. I struggle to think of a more poo console apart from stuff like the Atari Jaguar

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1672 on: December 05, 2012, 02:20:46 AM »
10 years of PSO was the biggest time sink for me, and pso2 is launching soon :'(
500 hours since July :-[
Hi

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1673 on: December 05, 2012, 02:22:46 AM »
Do you guys still ever play with other peeps at your/their house?

I play Fifa with friends whenever I can (this year 1 time, last year looaaads). I also play Walking Dead with my fiancee (well she watches advises).

« Reply #1674 on: December 05, 2012, 02:26:07 AM »

My wife and I will play Simpsons Arcade and Katamari together on the PS3 from time to time.

Rock Band still gets played with my buddies, and one friend and I do hotseat Counterstrike GO on the PS3 while drinking. And if there's a big group, we still take two OG Xbox's and do 8-player Halo 2 rocketball with 2 TV's via a link cable. That never gets old.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #1675 on: December 05, 2012, 02:29:26 AM »
anyone who likes Smash Brothers needs to go play on the railway tracks

You are truly irredeemable.

My least favorite 3D Mario. Nice for what it is, but not much beyond that.

But I want to replay it soon to see if that opinion is close to the truth.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1676 on: December 05, 2012, 02:35:07 AM »
Did you play it at launch Andrex?

Local multi is so nice, will be nice to have a kid to play with one day and explain stuff :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:37:36 AM by Premium Lager »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1677 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:55 AM »
Mario 64 suffers from the same thing as many influential "firsts" (including SMB1) - it was completely brilliant in its time, but is has been copied and improved upon quite a lot since, so a lot of its shine is lost now.  It's not like you can't appreciate it, but if you weren't there at the time, it's hard to get the full impact.
Yeah. When I hear people talking about the classic in any media, a classic which handled something so well, so originally, that it spawned the cliché and then they think oh that's just so clichéd, they don't understand the context. Some people just seem willingly ignorant of how hard it is to do something original, and do it well, and how simple it is to ape that success afterwords to lesser effect.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:08:43 AM by chronovore »

Himu

« Reply #1678 on: December 05, 2012, 02:45:33 AM »
I didn't like mario 64 even at launch.
IYKYK

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #1679 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:30 AM »

I play Fifa with friends whenever I can (this year 1 time, last year looaaads). I also play Walking Dead with my fiancee (well she watches advises).

with the wife mainly at the house, the days of the 16 player Halo lan party is looooong gone. Peoples lives have moved on and, well, DAT INTERNET.
O=X