Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188652 times)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
Re: Sales Talk Thread of Don't Diss Sales Talk, You Lamers
« Reply #2100 on: January 01, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
i thought the old justification was "buy the system that's selling more because that means it'll get more games."  Not sure if that holds true today (my favorite system is selling the least of any console ever and i have a shitload of games for it.)  That was the answer I got when I asked the more sycophantic sales warriors why they cared so much on GAF (it's not like that here, except when Andrex is backed into a corner.)

Tasty

« Reply #2101 on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
I rarely use sales as fodder in a non-sales argument. I just like numbers and knowing how close the industry as a whole is spiraling towards the toilet drain, which is why I always like to see when a game does well. That's usually my hope when I ask for numbers on a certain game.

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #2102 on: January 01, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »
moving moaning to a dedicate salty moan thread - have at it.

If you think it's worthless discussion or you have no interest in it, I've got great news for you.  You can just avoid this thread

I made the distinction that there's genuine analytical interest and a weird second class of sales cheering that has little to do with anything which is who that was aimed at - but regardless, it was a shit pair of posts with no audience or purpose in here and they're now gone.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:20:11 AM by DCharlieJP »
O=X

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #2103 on: January 01, 2013, 11:55:43 PM »
I rarely use sales as fodder in a non-sales argument. I just like numbers and knowing how close the industry as a whole is spiraling towards the toilet drain, which is why I always like to see when a game does well. That's usually my hope when I ask for numbers on a certain game.

Units don't give you the whole picture though
itm

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #2104 on: January 02, 2013, 12:21:43 AM »

indeed - a lot of "successful" games in terms of sales were financial disasters, a lot of "bombas" made out like bandits. Obviously that's all common sense seemingly...

O=X

« Reply #2105 on: January 02, 2013, 12:41:34 AM »
Oh damn you DCharlie, I liked your sports analogy because I had a counter.

Counterpoint: THE SEATTLE FUCKING MARINERS.

The Mariners continually turn a profit every single season with ticket sales and merchandise. They pride themselves on being family friendly, so much so that they ask fans not bring in signs or wear shirts that say anything negative about the opposition (ie. they banned Yankees Suck shirts a while back). They also lobbied strongly against a strip club that ended up being built across the street from the stadium.

Back to that profit thing. The Mariners are terrible. They've been terrible for almost ten years now and pretty much for the entirety of the club's existence. They also refuse to spend money on acquiring any actual talent that would make the team better. They have the money to spend, but they won't, instead just putting out a shit team and making money. The fans here in Seattle fucking hate it, no one talks about how they're making money, everyone wants them to spend that money and get players.

Guess who owns the Mariners?

Guess who runs the team on a daily basis for Pimp Daddy Nintendo Man?

Howard Lincoln, the former chairman of Nintendo of America and the current Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Seattle Mariners baseball team, representing absentee majority owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. (In August 2004, Yamauchi's shares were transferred to Nintendo as an estate planning measure, but as he remains chairman emeritus of Nintendo's board of directors, he is still considered the team's owner.)

Coincidence? Probably, but NO FUCKING WAY.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:45:06 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Tasty

« Reply #2106 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:52 AM »

No duh? I never said they didn't and I never consider sales alone.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #2107 on: January 02, 2013, 12:55:48 AM »

final comment on it as we're drifting : it's likely a UK thing - 92 pro teams in a small condensed area where rivalries have existed for years means you are constantly arguing with people, but the number of chances for success are dwindling. The main culprits seem to be Arsenal fans but anyways.

As the top flight is becoming more a closed shop and we are left with 3 realistic teams who can win the league, then those who fall outside are fighting for scraps. Arsenal have the highest ticket prices in the league, routinely sell their best players and bring in much cheaper poorer players, so to have a section of their fans clapping this (this is after all the team that went an entire season without defeat not -too- long back) is just odd.

My team did the family thing/fiscal responsibility thing (and STILL went into administration!) - depressing as hell. From the Premier League to toying with Div 1 (which is two below the prem confusingly)

Again - drifting and now threadshitting :D

O=X

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2108 on: January 02, 2013, 01:35:32 AM »
So Anarchy Reigns is launching in a couple of days, as one of the 6 people that pre-ordered it I feel a confident this will sell sub 300K WW

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #2109 on: January 02, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »

The Mariners continually turn a profit every single season with ticket sales and merchandise. They pride themselves on being family friendly, so much so that they ask fans not bring in signs or wear shirts that say anything negative about the opposition (ie. they banned Yankees Suck shirts a while back). They also lobbied strongly against a strip club that ended up being built across the street from the stadium.

Back to that profit thing. The Mariners are terrible. They've been terrible for almost ten years now and pretty much for the entirety of the club's existence. They also refuse to spend money on acquiring any actual talent that would make the team better. They have the money to spend, but they won't, instead just putting out a shit team and making money. The fans here in Seattle fucking hate it, no one talks about how they're making money, everyone wants them to spend that money and get players.

(Image removed from quote.)

Howard Lincoln, the former chairman of Nintendo of America and the current Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Seattle Mariners baseball team, representing absentee majority owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. (In August 2004, Yamauchi's shares were transferred to Nintendo as an estate planning measure, but as he remains chairman emeritus of Nintendo's board of directors, he is still considered the team's owner.)

Wait, Seriously?

I can't call that a coincidence at all  :o

« Reply #2110 on: January 02, 2013, 02:10:42 AM »

Wait, Seriously?

I can't call that a coincidence at all  :o

Everything I said above is true. I love my Mariners, but they suck.
野球

archnemesis

« Reply #2111 on: January 02, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »
So Anarchy Reigns is launching in a couple of days, as one of the 6 people that pre-ordered it I feel a confident this will sell sub 300K WW
That seems like a safe guess since it only sold 30k in Japan and there is no hype for it whatsoever.

« Reply #2112 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:15 AM »
I'm sure it will bomba big time, but at least it's coming out at $30 instead of $60. I've got it preordered.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2113 on: January 02, 2013, 02:32:52 AM »
But do the Mariners play with whimsy?

I envision an amazing gif of a touchdown against the Mariners with Nintendo Whimsy flashing big.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:34:27 AM by Premium Lager »

« Reply #2114 on: January 02, 2013, 02:35:48 AM »
But do the Mariners play with whimsy?

I envision an amazing gif of a touchdown against the Mariners with Nintendo Whimsy flashing big.

8)
野球

« Reply #2115 on: January 02, 2013, 02:51:57 AM »
It doesn't seem like somehting that would be more popular outside Japan than within.
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2116 on: January 02, 2013, 03:20:22 AM »

I suspect it won't even reach 60k WW.
I think it will get 100k by price point and word of mouth

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2117 on: January 02, 2013, 03:36:39 AM »
Forgot Anarchy Reigns was even coming out.

Game is going to bomb hard.

archnemesis

« Reply #2118 on: January 02, 2013, 04:25:26 AM »
There is also negative word of mouth that will balance out the good.

maxy

• Sales Loser
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2120 on: January 02, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
30,002 sales with me and momo

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2121 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
No WiiU exclusive in top 40... WiiU is deader then Vita which has 3 games there.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:34:50 AM by Premium Lager »

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:50:03 AM by DCharlieJP »
O=X

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2123 on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Where do those numbers come from?

Crazy how popular PS3 is versus 360 here, but MS has made great strides this gen. Sony might lose  their stronghold if they dont put some extra effort into this region (like launching here first...).

Cascade

« Reply #2124 on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »
Where do those numbers come from?
VGChartz.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2125 on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:56 AM »
vgchartz

why DC,why
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2126 on: January 02, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
Ffs DCharlie

Poor Oscar, first the mockery, now this.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #2127 on: January 02, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
I didn't see the source until i went back. Sheesh - time to bail out and leave you all too it. lol.
O=X

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #2128 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
Dcharlie what happened to you man  :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
LOL
[close]

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2129 on: January 02, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »
rememebver when i used to be thte worst poster in a thread now i have to put effort in not sucking
USA

Tasty

« Reply #2130 on: January 02, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »
rememebver when i used to be thte worst poster in a thread now i have to put effort in not sucking

I remember it like it was half a second ago.

Beezy

« Reply #2131 on: January 02, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »
:lol

Tasty

« Reply #2132 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
Should have put more effort into matching the rhythm of the original song. D+ effort.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2133 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:23 PM »

The official Wii U theme song, now more than ever.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #2134 on: January 02, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »

The official Wii U theme song, now more than ever.

this shit will never get old
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2135 on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:09 AM »
I guess this is some sales data

From Pachter comment on Sony used games block thing

"The company's first party software sales represent less than 10 percent of overall sales on its consoles
cat

archnemesis

« Reply #2136 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:12 AM »
Nice tidbit but it's so obvious.

Uncharted, God of War etc. sales pale in comparison to yearly CoD/ Skyrim/ Madden. Besides you do not get a new Uncharted/ GoWar every year.
2005 - God of War
2007 - God of War II
2007 - God of War: Betrayal
2007 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
2008 - God of War: Chains of Olympus
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010 - God of War III
2010 - God of War: Ghost of Sparta
2011 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss
2013 - God of War: Ascension

Even if Sony's first party output isn't dominating the sales charts, it's one of the most important things that drives the sales of the hardware.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2137 on: January 04, 2013, 05:46:31 AM »
Even if Sony's first party output isn't dominating the sales charts, it's one of the most important things that drives the sales of the hardware.
That sounds like a contradiction.
cat

Cascade

« Reply #2138 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:02 AM »
UK's top 10 publishers for 2012 (AKA: Dat Sony first party lineup sellin powah!)
Code: [Select]
2012's TOP BOXED GAMES PUBLISHERS

1. EA
2. Activision
3. Ubisoft
4. Nintendo
5. Microsoft
6. Sega
7. Warner Bros
8. Take-Two
9. THQ
10. Square Enix

archnemesis

« Reply #2139 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
It's not. Exclusives together with price is what makes people buy a PS3 over a 360 or a gaming PC. For people who are only interesting in Call of Duty and FIFA/Madden (depending on which side of the pond you live) the price is the deciding factor. For people with a bit more diverse taste it's a combination of the two.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Sales Talk Thread of Don't Diss Sales Talk, You Lamers
« Reply #2140 on: January 04, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »
This generation has proved to me how little shit I give about Sony's first party games. The only games I genuinely ended up caring for are U2 and Infamous 1.
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2141 on: January 04, 2013, 06:11:08 AM »
What do you think of their investments in new IPs and acquisitions from a business perspective in the short and long term, Oscar?
Unzip

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2142 on: January 04, 2013, 06:29:21 AM »
It's not. Exclusives together with price is what makes people buy a PS3 over a 360 or a gaming PC. For people who are only interesting in Call of Duty and FIFA/Madden (depending on which side of the pond you live) the price is the deciding factor. For people with a bit more diverse taste it's a combination of the two.
So this is more like some psychological stuff,since software sales don't reflect that.Like people buying PS3 because they know it has large pool of exclusives and then cherry picking one of them and buy other nine from third parties?
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2143 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »
How much did the Killzone games sell Oscar?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2144 on: January 04, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
thx for your insight Oscar

Can you say something about current Uncharted series LTD(US)?
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2145 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »
thx
cat

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2146 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
Excellent write-up man, thanks for that.

The mess in Europe is really unfortunate, and it gets scarier when you consider how awful the business in doing there overall.

I'll also agree that ND was probably their smartest studio investment, with GG being their least. In a way I'm confused by Sony taking huge risks on such an unproven IP/Studio. Wouldn't financing and publishing their games then testing their viability in the market first be a better idea? Or were they afraid of their value going up? That's how the acquisitions of ND, SP, MM and Zipper worked out, iirc.

Other terrible investments they made imo were Move and the heavy 3D push, I don't have any numbers to back this up other than knowing neither were a runaway success, doing modestly at best.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:45:32 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2147 on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »
Just left the office so it'll have to wait til tomorrow.  Off the top of my head, 1 and 2 are just over a million each.  3 is a lot lower.

That's surprisingly low. I guess the hype this series have on the tubes is extremely disproportionate.
Unzip

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2148 on: January 04, 2013, 07:38:14 AM »
I'm suprised Sony nor MS haven't picked up a cheap Eastern European studio yet.

That would cost a fraction to run compared to Guerilla Games in the Netherlands. Prob the same results too.

Just left the office so it'll have to wait til tomorrow.  Off the top of my head, 1 and 2 are just over a million each.  3 is a lot lower.

That's surprisingly low. I guess the hype this series have on the tubes is extremely disproportionate.

Yeah overall it seems very low, but Im pretty  sure if this is NA/JPN numbers you can double them for WW since Europe is Sony's biggest market (and I don't think Killzone/Uncharted sell in JPN anyway).

So going by that the numbers still arent crazy but each KZ/UC has sold between 1 and 3 million WW.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:39:57 AM by Premium Lager »

Tasty

« Reply #2149 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
How much did the Killzone games sell Oscar?

Too much.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:teehee
[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2150 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:47 AM »
Gaikai was a really fucking smart pick-up.

Yeah, it definitely was. That purchase alone gives them an "in" to almost every Smart TV/media box/mobile device out there, covers the BC situation going forward, and can easily be folded into PS+ subscription plans. Probably the smartest thing they've done this entire generation.
sup

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2151 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
whoa whoa whoa guys, it's sony.  lets see how they use it first! 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2152 on: January 04, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
cloud-based H :-\ ME
sup

Himu

« Reply #2153 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
This generation has proved to me how little shit I give about Sony's first party games. The only games I genuinely ended up caring for are U2 and Infamous 1.

Disagree. Their name used to command more power and more variety. This gen they've taken a hit. They've made less experimental games like Rule of Rose, Vib Ribbon, Shadow of the Colossus, and Parappa the Rapper and more safe games. This makes sense because it's the entire industry doing it. The only reason you only care about U2 and Infamous is because that's really the only great games they've put out this gen. They haven't even put out a Shadow of the Colossus equivalent.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:14:21 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2154 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
Sony didn't even have a Dark Cloud equivalent game this gen. Sony really dropped the ball. They used to be a very balanced developer and publisher that released adult games on top of family friend games like Parappa, Dark Cloud, Jak/Ratchet/Sly;etc. Now they're all about dat adult audience.

I want a new Dark Cloud. :(

psx and ps2 era Sony were better than Nintendo at securing quality first party content.  :'(

No WiiU exclusive in top 40... WiiU is deader then Vita which has 3 games there.

Wait till

Mario
Yoshi Land
Bayonetta 2
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:32:42 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2155 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
A modern Dark Cloud without those nasty randomized dungeons would be nice.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2156 on: January 04, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »

I don't think you get the point of Dark Cloud.  >:( :maf
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2157 on: January 04, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »

I don't think you get the point of Dark Cloud.  >:( :maf

Not mucking around in nasty randomized dungeons, I know that much.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2158 on: January 04, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
Getting the next item for the town is the best part and the random nature of the dungeon makes this fun! The worst part of Dark Cloud series has been the combat. It's not that good and has too many Zelda-isms.

The appeal of Dark Cloud is dungeon crawling, and getting into the depths of the dungeon to uncover more cool shit for your town. The lack of random dungeons would make perusing dungeons a chore because they would be expected and familiar and given how often you do dungeon crawl, that would make the game more repetitive than it already is.

Game design 101 Rumbler-san.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:16:31 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2159 on: January 04, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »
Yeah, because going through 100 different levels of a dungeon that are all exactly the same except sometimes the item layout is a little bit different is SO MUCH FUN.

Randomized dungeons aren't always bad, but SIMPLISTIC randomized dungeons with dull, repetitive combat certainly are.
dog