Author Topic: Nintendo NX thread  (Read 27159 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Nintendo NX thread
« on: January 14, 2016, 05:32:54 AM »
Let's talk about the NX.

My expectations:
- Still inferior hardware
- Still rehashed Nintendo games you played since 1992
- Still shit online

What I would like:
- Handheld, that has tv hookup option,  1080p
- Dual analog

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:40:28 AM by Premium Lager »

archnemesis

Re: Nintendo NX thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
If they only make one system this generation then I will probably buy it regardless of what it is.

My expectations are similar. Ancient technology, poor build quality, region-lock, games still tied to hardware rather than an account, rushed launch games and remastered versions of good games they made decades ago.

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
Handheld with a TV dock is what I'm hoping for. Basically a New 3DS with Wii U graphics. You can buy the handheld by itself for $170 or with the dock + Pro Controller + some game for $250.

There won't be any backwards compatibility.

Nintendo Account just launched in Japan but I haven't heard much about it since then. Hopefully online isn't shit. I don't think games will be tied to system starting with the NX.

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
With no real information to base on, I'm figuring it'll be a handheld you can hook to the tv around the power level of a Wii U (so 720p games, no AA) and touch screen, but no 3d or motion controls besides like a gyrometer for Warioware.

Actually maybe the handheld part will have 3d.  I mean there's no way the handheld screen is going to be more than like 500-600p, so if they make it strong enough to run games at 720p-1080p on TV, they can easily render the same game at 500-600p on the handheld side and use the extra processing power for 3d.  Plus then they can do the whole backwards compatibility with 3DS.

What would be nice is that same deal but with tech around the power of PS4/X1 so can at least get 1080p gaming when outputted to TV.  I'd also like bigger buttons on the handheld.  I never noticed how absolutely tiny the ABXY buttons are on the normal sized 3ds until playing Miku music game where I need to go between them all quickly and tap them many times.

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:37:51 PM »
If they only make one system this generation then I will probably buy it regardless of what it is.

My expectations are similar. Ancient technology, poor build quality, region-lock, games still tied to hardware rather than an account, rushed launch games and remastered versions of good games they made decades ago.

Ancient Tech = yep
Poor Build Quality = I dunno, I think Nintendo hardware is pretty sturdy with occasional exceptions
Region-lock = FUCK, this for sure.  Forgot about this.  So annoying to have to buy 2 fucking systems with only Nintendo because every other platform is region-free in the entire game world.
Awful account system = yeah, for sure
Rushed launch games/remasters = yep

Tasty

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 03:52:39 PM »
Smash Wii U with all the DLC plus Zelda U will be remastered as launch titles.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
What I'd like to see:
Metroid

My expectations:
Handheld with a 1600p screen that outputs at 4K wirelessly to TV's*, always locked at 60fps, special custom chip that puts sixteen Jaguar cores at 4GHz** on the same die as four Radeon R9 Nano** cores with 32GB** GDDR5**. All Nintendo games ported to HD available as part of online service, $20 a year for the entire Nintendo console library, online gameplay (with zero lag) and one free new game a month. GTA VI, Earthbound 5, Final Fantasy XVI, Shenmue 3-25, Diablo IV, Elder Scrolls VI, Pikmin 4, Splatoon 2, Resident Evil 7, Hideo Kojima all exclusive.

$250. And the online won't get hacked.

*Special dongle required
**Speeds, sizes and extra cores unlocked in future firmware update

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 04:51:35 PM »
I see it being a handheld with a dock, slightly above the WiiU in some regards (probably in terms of shader support), slightly below it in others (RAM, processor speed). It'll FINALLY solve the Nintendo Network issues, where games will be tied to your account and not console. A Netflix style system for VC, with slightly more focus on the VC and digital downloads than usual. Cloud saving will finally be included across the board.

Expect a ton of remasters and ports - Smash with all the DLC intact is very likely. I also bet we'll get a Xenoblade HD remaster. The good thing will be that it won't tie up Nintendo's teams in supporting 2 platforms, so we might see some more dormant franchises make their return.
^_^

qq more

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »

I thought that was confirmed changing due to the partnership with DeNA and the whole Nintendo Account thing? Or was I mistaking that for speculation? Correct me if I'm wrong

Also, I am not confident about the NX console. They have a long way to go to fix a lot of the issues their past consoles had. The console/handheld sharing architecture idea though is the step in the right direction.

What I'd want (but never gonna happen) from the NX console is a powerful system that makes multiplat games viable without having to downgrade and shit. Also give us OS-level voice chatting with friends (basically Party Chat). Make a proper account system and for the love of god stop rushing games, fuck your rushed holiday releases. But it's Nintendo, as much as I like them, they're really damn incompetent at times.

As far as handhelds goes. Just keep the dual screens, have better video output (540p would actually suffice I think? esp if we're still going with dual screen), give us better online and try to win back third party support. 3DS's third party support would've been barren if not for Capcom, Atlus and Square Enix. Oh and don't launch your handheld system at $250 ever again. They're suppose to be cheap.

EDIT: clarified a bit
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:12:24 PM by qq more »
ok

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
What I'd want from the NX console is a powerful system that makes multiplat games viable without having to downgrade and shit. Also give us OS-level voice chatting with friends (basically Party Chat). Make a proper account system and for the love of god stop rushing games, fuck your rushed holiday releases.

vin

Bebpo

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »

I thought that was confirmed changing due to the partnership with DeNA and the whole Nintendo Account thing? Or was I mistaking that for speculation? Correct me if I'm wrong

Also, I am not confident about the NX console. They have a long way to go to fix a lot of the issues their past consoles had. The console/handheld sharing architecture idea though is the step in the right direction.

What I'd want from the NX console is a powerful system that makes multiplat games viable without having to downgrade and shit. Also give us OS-level voice chatting with friends (basically Party Chat). Make a proper account system and for the love of god stop rushing games, fuck your rushed holiday releases. But it's Nintendo, as much as I like them, they're really damn incompetent at times.

As far as handhelds goes. Just keep the dual screens, have better video output (540p would actually suffice I think? esp if we're still going with dual screen), give us better online and try to win back third party support. 3DS's third party support would've been barren if not for Capcom, Atlus and Square Enix. Oh and don't launch your handheld system at $250 ever again. They're suppose to be cheap.

If NX is a handheld/console hybrid and Nintendo's only system after 3DS/WiiU, there's no way it's launching for under $250.  Hell I'm expecting at least $300 if not $350 or $400.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
Its either going to be a streaming box (think what amazon and other people are doing) that allows you to play Nintendo's entire library, or a new powerful iPad handheld device with a HDMI in/out port that allows you to hook it up to TVs and other shit.

OH!

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »
Nintendo ain't doing 4K, no way.

qq more

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »

What I'd want from the NX console is a powerful system that makes multiplat games viable without having to downgrade and shit. Also give us OS-level voice chatting with friends (basically Party Chat). Make a proper account system and for the love of god stop rushing games, fuck your rushed holiday releases. But it's Nintendo, as much as I like them, they're really damn incompetent at times.

If NX is a handheld/console hybrid and Nintendo's only system after 3DS/WiiU, there's no way it's launching for under $250.  Hell I'm expecting at least $300 if not $350 or $400.
Oh no, of course. I wasn't saying that. No way would a hybrid console be cheap. I'm speaking in the scenario that they're separate systems instead of being hybrids.

Personally I don't think there's going to be a hybrid, but if it does happen it'll be interesting to see where that goes. But I don't know if it would be the wise decision. I think Nintendo needs to have their handheld to be separate with a cheap price tag. I feel that's one of the most attractive points of a Nintendo handheld.

What I'd want from the NX console is a powerful system that makes multiplat games viable without having to downgrade and shit. Also give us OS-level voice chatting with friends (basically Party Chat). Make a proper account system and for the love of god stop rushing games, fuck your rushed holiday releases.

(Image removed from quote.)
Yeah I know. It'll never happen.  :lol This is Nintendo. Hence why I specifically said "want" and not what I predict.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:11:36 PM by qq more »
ok

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
Of course not. It's fairly well established at this point that the other two's current gen offering are generally 1080p 30 FPS machines so them aiming for that sounds plausible.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 06:26:48 PM »
Of course not. It's fairly well established at this point that the other two's current gen offering are generally 1080p 30 FPS machines so them aiming for that sounds plausible.

TBF there's a couple notable Wii U games that do 1080p 60fps.

qq more

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
I wonder how many generations we have until 4k can be viable.
ok

Trent Dole

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
I wonder how many generations we have until 4k can be viable.
0 because consoles are dying. :teehee I'd say two gens, maybe the next one on occasion.
TBF there's a couple notable Wii U games that do 1080p 60fps.
Sure it happens sometimes right now, but it's not a mandatory standard or anything. I'd love a 60 FPS F-Zero utilizing current tech or better. :drool
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »
F-Zero would be 60fps regardless of system or resolution, I'm pretty confident saying that. Same for Smash and Mario.

I don't think anyone will risk making 1080p the "standard" until at least next gen.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 07:48:19 PM »
There's no way in hell it's 4K and I doubt we would even see that in the next ten years in consoles unless the next Sony and MS consoles have a Thunderbolt-C port in them so you can add your own hardware. It's undoubtedly an x86 AMD SOC at this point. The question is if it's Polaris or not. I'd say for the home console they will have slightly better specs than the PS4 and Xbone (Not like it's hard) but it's probably not going to be much more than a cut down 380/2ghz Octo-core APU (And I'm being very generous on this) for 1080P on your average 3rd party that would be 900P on PS4. It will be minorly better than PS4 (Maybe 30-50% in raw numbers) and bitter Ninthings and Sony stanleys will fight it out in the streets (PC Gaming stays winning). It will play COD and Destiny better than the others for a while, have a 3rd party line up and get a bump out of that. The "Blue Ocean" gimmick will likely be some sort of new online support like that optional cloud/cluster compute they patented. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see it go completely always online. Nintendo have the cachet to do it.   

At the same time, I wouldn't be shocked if it's ten gamecubes duct-taped together and Nintendo said "Unreal 4 Support? Heh, no", again. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 08:55:49 PM »
- It will be the usual Nintendo hardware: low spec machine with a gimmick that Nintendo can charge a premium price for.  Spec wise it will likely be between the Bone and the PS4.
- Yet Another New Super Mario Bros will be a launch title.  Nintendo promises it will be different than the other NSMB games but other than a gimmick or two, it won't be.
- Zelda Skyrim is announced that it will be a 2017 title.  50/50 on it actually coming out 2018 or 2019.
- The gimmick for the NX will be Nintendo's dumbest yet.
- Nintendo will desperately try to capture lightning in a bottle again like the Wii.  Except this gimmick will fall flat on its ass.
- A new 3D Mario gets announced.  It will be different than the 3D Land/3D World games but it will be a cobbled clone of the 3D games and the Galaxy games.  They can call it Super Mario 3D Galaxy!
- In a shocking twist: Nintendo hints that a new Mario Kart and Smash Brothers will be in development for NX.
- Nintendo will abandon friend codes.  Nintendo will have an online network like Xbox Live and PSN but it will be the usual half assed Nintendo bullshit.
- NX will come out this year.
🍆🍆

Trent Dole

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 09:40:38 PM »
- The gimmick for the NX will be Nintendo's dumbest yet.
Is it possible to be dumber than a tablet you can't take with you?
- NX will come out this year.
lol, no.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:23:17 AM by Trent Dole »
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 11:42:36 PM »
My predictions: everyone will bitch and moan and then buy one anyway.
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 11:45:06 PM »
Idk man, really can't see myself buying another Nintendo console. Sure as shit didn't buy a wii u.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 12:48:58 AM »
At the same time, I wouldn't be shocked if it's ten gamecubes duct-taped together and Nintendo said "Unreal 4 Support? Heh, no", again.
Why would you support something that's not real?

Please understand.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:39 AM »
Oh yeah the dual screen shit has to go.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 02:34:56 AM »
-will suck
-nostalgiatards with no impulse control will buy despite knowing better, just to play the same tired shit they've been playing for multiple gens
-if there was any justice in the universe, the only cost of owning one of these would be forced sterilization (spoiler alert: there is no justice and these horrible things will breed)
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 02:47:18 AM »
My predictions: everyone will bitch and moan and then buy one anyway.

Some of us still have standards, Joe.
yar

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »
I have some hope for the NX.

I think the commercial failure of the Wii U and its lack of recognition from a large chunk of the video game community really affected Iwata (RIP) and the higher-ups of Nintendo, and that Nintendo will apply accordingly the lessons its learned from the Wii U's legion of faults. While I'm not so foolish as to assume the NX will represent a complete philosophical turn-around in Nintendo's approach, I feel certain fundamental drawbacks that have plagued Nintendo traditionally will be resolved, specifically software output (fewer droughts), online capabilities, and indie developer relations.

qq more

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »
I remember there was a patent recently about the scroll-wheels for the shoulder button. That might be a really cool addition to a traditional controller. Would make things like scrolling through weapons easier for example.
ok

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »
the most compelling feature of Nintendo's next platform?

That they won't be splitting their development resources supporting two different systems in the future. Nintendo has expanded their development teams and 2nd parties substantially during the 3DS/WiiU era, and putting the full weight of those teams on a single stage should yield some interesting results.

qq more

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »
the most compelling feature of Nintendo's next platform?

That they won't be splitting their development resources supporting two different systems in the future. Nintendo has expanded their development teams and 2nd parties substantially during the 3DS/WiiU era, and putting the full weight of those teams on a single stage should yield some interesting results.
Yeah, it sounds like they're trying to go for a better flow of releases the next time. The 3DS and Wii U had way too many droughts. I don't think it would ultimately resolve the issue, but I think it will do good in a long run.

It's really good news for the next hypothetical Smash Bros (especially with the architecture plan), if they're continuing the dual-versions route. From what I've heard, development was hell when it came to making characters for both versions of 3DS and Wii U since both systems are completely different. I'd imagine this would free up so much development time, hopefully that also means better focus on stage content.
ok

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
Conversely, the least compelling aspect of Nintendo's next platform is that Nintendo will still be developing it.
yar

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 11:26:37 PM »
-will suck
-nostalgiatards with no impulse control will buy despite knowing better, just to play the same tired shit they've been playing for multiple gens
-if there was any justice in the universe, the only cost of owning one of these would be forced sterilization (spoiler alert: there is no justice and these horrible things will breed)
:umad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 12:48:26 AM »
It's going to be a phone.
dog

bachikarn

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 12:50:51 AM »
Think Nintendo is going to embrace the iOS philosophy of trying to make games more hardware independent. Nintendo hasn't really been able to support two platforms, so they will try to unify them.

There will be a console and handheld variant. The console will be able to play the handheld's games, but not necessarily vice versa.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »
Someone leaked a confidential survey on the NX. Full one is going up later but apparently this was the slide that stood out most

:nintendo :nintendo :nintendo :nintendo :nintendo

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
Sensor bar wut, 9 :-\ :-\ p
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
waggle is back

yesssssssssss

qq more

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »
The 900p part is seriously puzzling. I'm guessing the 900p/60fps part might be just referring to the target output for many graphical games? It's kinda hard to believe a console would lock itself to 900p when the Wii U was 1080p and this one has video streaming for 4k.

But of course, Nintendo does make the weirdest moves so this wouldn't surprise me either way. :-\

Sensor bar tho? Are they keeping the Wiimotes?
ok

archnemesis

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
900p is fine for a handheld device with a small enough screen to get a decent PPI. Targeting 900p for home consoles in 2017 is madness.

Actually, this sounds very similar to the Wii U. A controller you can use as a handheld device that is connected to a more powerful home console.

waggle is back
It was never gone. Many Wii U games rely on the sensor bar and wiimotes.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
900p is fine for a handheld device with a small enough screen to get a decent PPI. Targeting 900p for home consoles in 2017 is madness.

Actually, this sounds very similar to the Wii U. A controller you can use as a handheld device that is connected to a more powerful home console.

waggle is back
It was never gone. Many Wii U games rely on the sensor bar and wiimotes.

Which ones? I have about 13 games for the platform and I can't recall any, apart from using the Wiimote as an additional controller in certain titles (Mario Kart, Smash).
^_^

archnemesis

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
My most played games are Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U and Just Dance. Many of the mini games rely on using the wiimote in interesting ways e.g. for balancing water in a spoon.

qq more

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 01:28:48 PM »
The rest of the survey is posted.

https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/689825168735088641

So it seems all of it are just hypothetical specs for the NX done for the GFK survey group. No idea if this is actually for Nintendo or analysis stuff. A lot of interesting stuff there though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:35:36 PM by qq more »
ok

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »
Nintendo's last console

:rejoice
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »
Seriously. Microsoft or Sony need to show up with a box of money and tell em to just make games. Each console is more of a joke than the last

Tasty

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »
So it's another Wii U.

I am shocked.

The Wii U can do 1080p though

Smash :mouf

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
Yeah this all sounds about right
püp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
I really hope this POS is $499.
🍆🍆

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:25 PM »
I really hope this POS is $499.

I saw that and a Sub service for their online at a quick glance.

Yeah, but that's going to bring people to the Nintendo Network. :lol

Trent Dole

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 11:05:32 PM »
All of those potential options are shit. :piss
Hi

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 11:23:23 PM »
this thread made me check the price of wii u since I really like mario and shit,  329$  :lol :lol :lol :piss2

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2016, 03:53:05 AM »
Yeah I get why Nintendo doesn't lower the price of the Wii U, but they won't even get my petty dollar now.

suppadoopa

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 05:15:55 AM »
No idea if this is actually for Nintendo or analysis stuff.

Not for Nintendo at all. Just analysis.

qq more

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 06:08:25 AM »
All of those potential options are shit. :piss
Seriously, every single one has at least one thing that turned me off completely. Fuckkkkkkkkk that.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:13:52 AM by qq more »
ok

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »
No idea if this is actually for Nintendo or analysis stuff.

Not for Nintendo at all. Just analysis.

GFK does do company research under heavy NDA and it's pretty well used in the UK. I've had a good few legit companies use it when I whored myself out for it as a student and I saw some super wacky shit sometimes from legit companies.

Best one I saw. Well known non-Alcoholic Beer wants to do an Energy Drink version. Please rate your likeliness to drink and our marketing campaign :holeup

I'd say that Nintendo are legitimately using it to go fishing for viewpoints on what might work with customers with those potential options. Shame they are most horrible ideas. Virtual Console being turned into a library with a Nintendo Network subscription is alright, but everything else is TERRIBLE.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
Decade old tech and it'll take Ntards half a decade to realize it.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »
The tech may be a decade old, but the whimsy is cutting edge, brehs
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »
Decade old tech and it'll take Ntards half a decade to realize it.

Thats why its ok for Nintendo to do it, by the time they cop on Nintendo is pushing their next promises box

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2016, 04:48:02 AM »
The 900p part is seriously puzzling. I'm guessing the 900p/60fps part might be just referring to the target output for many graphical games? It's kinda hard to believe a console would lock itself to 900p when the Wii U was 1080p and this one has video streaming for 4k.

:huh

You realize "1080p" is just an internet meme.

The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1920x1080 and 720x480 on TVs smaller than 50 inches.

It's why DVD remains the most successful entertainment format in history.

I'm also not surprised by the 60fps mandate.

No 60fps support = no backwards compatibility with the Wii U.

1080p came and went like any other fad; 60fps became industry standard thanks to Splatoon.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl @ the waggle deniers.

Newsflash: motion control is one of gaming's greatest innovations, maybe only second to the Seal of Quality.

• 1080p
  • Brazil
  • Iwata

• Online gaming

• CD-ROMs