Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083118 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6420 on: December 28, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »
So, I finally started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's not always laugh out loud funny, but at least once per show my jaw drops at the balls the creators have. Every single time I've thought "they won't go there," they almost immediately go there :lol
sup

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6421 on: December 28, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »
So, I finally started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's not always laugh out loud funny, but at least once per show my jaw drops at the balls the creators have. Every single time I've thought "they won't go there," they almost immediately go there :lol

It's great.  Seems to get better as time goes on.
🍆🍆

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #6422 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »

The most recent season was absolutely hilarious, so keep with it. It dips in season 5 and 6 though.
:9

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6423 on: December 30, 2012, 12:55:01 AM »
Downton Abbey S3 Christmas special

......FUCK THIS GAY EARTH

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6424 on: December 31, 2012, 02:18:07 AM »
Downton Abbey S3 Christmas special

......FUCK THIS GAY EARTH

yeah fuck it.  :'(

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6425 on: December 31, 2012, 02:33:54 AM »
spoiler discussion of Downton Abbey S3 Christmas special. WARNING

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm so pissed about this shit, and feel like the show may never recover. Granted I knew it was coming: the actor was unhappy with the role and had plans to come to America for bigger roles; so Matthew's fate was sealed for some time. It's a shame because the show has so heavily invested in the character, he's the best character, etc. Consider a driving force of that ep, which was the Scottish house not modernizing, and thus going bankrupt - thus validating what Matthew did with Downton. I was looking forward to seeing how he continued to move the house into the 20th century, and the changes that came for that way of life in Britain. Clearly Robert's role was going to be diminished in the future, with Matthew further exerting power with Branston at his side.

Instead we'll get another baby losing a parent, a large time jump...sigh. I guess Branston will sort of take Matthew's role now, and be a driving force in helping to raise the heir. I'm guessing Branston will fall in love with Rose (the girl coming to live at Downton).

S3 was such a return to glory imo, now I just don't see S4 matching it. The writers must be pissed; Flowers had a lot of big stuff planned and I hope he discusses where he wanted the show to go before this happened.
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6426 on: December 31, 2012, 02:52:54 AM »
if you haven't watched danger 5, because you don't like amazing things

it's now on hulu

http://www.hulu.com/danger-5

so watch it, goddammit

« Reply #6427 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »
OK I was watching one of the shitty new Simpsons episodes on TV with my little brother cause he still enjoys it, it has Cheech & Chong as guest stars. It was the typical unfunny mediocre and boring episode you get from this show now, but this exchange pissed me off:

Homer: You don't know Cheech and Chong? They are like the Beavis and Butt-head of our era.
Bart: Who's Beavis and Butt-head?

This legitimately fucking bothered me to no end. Really? The other show that took off in the same era The Simpsons did? The guys who were just as much MTV darlings and animated representative of 90's kids? Not to mention the fact that The Simpsons were around way before Beavis and Butt-head. Or the fact that I'm sure with the billions of fucking pop culture references you get from The Simpsons that they would have been mentioned before differently.

Now I know that they are trying to illustrate that kids now don't know who Beavis and Butt-head are, and its mostly another joke about how Homer is old and no longer knows what kids like and shit. But this also just illustrates how The Simpsons way overstayed their welcome, its too much. Just fucking kill it already, who even watches it anymore?

I'm going to go take a walk or get laid or something.

If this bothers you, then you should never EVER watch the episode where Homer was in a grunge band.
野球

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6428 on: December 31, 2012, 03:39:56 AM »
On that anthology episode earlier this season Marge and Homer were in high school in 1974 again.

I thought there were actually a couple decent episodes last season but I had to go back and read the descriptions to even remember what they were. It and Cleveland Show and Family Guy are such distinct contrasts to Bob's Burgers and American Dad on the same night.

Just found this out from Wikipedia:
During the twenty-fourth season it was estimated that the cost of a 30-second advertising spot would be $286,131 in an original broadcast, up from $254,260 in season 23. It is Fox's fourth-most expensive show to advertise during, up from fifth last year, and the sixth-most expensive show to advertise on (behind only Sunday Night Football, American Idol Wednesday, Modern Family, New Girl and American Idol Thursday).

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6429 on: December 31, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »
If there is one thing I get nostalgic for, it's The Simpsons.  Watched it since the first season.  Mentally, I just pretend the show never existed past the seventh season and move on.  I still have all of the DVD sets up to season 7.  After that, the show does not exist to me.

Just fucking kill it already, who even watches it anymore?

It brings in some ungodly amounts of money, like a billion dollars a year or something.  It won't be going away anytime soon.
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6430 on: December 31, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »
By now wouldn't Homer have been in high school himself when Beavis and Butthead came on?

___

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6431 on: December 31, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
Like The EXP I just assume the Simpsons ended after the 10th season or so, I don't even watch them in re-runs anymore. I know Al Jean and a bunch of old staff are back and they're supposedly better but the teenage seasons ruined everything I loved about that show.

At least new Futurama is still pretty decent. It doesn't have the highs the first four seasons has but there aren't any lows either.

Daria

I finally decided to watch this show from beginning to end, only catching a few episodes here and there in the past I always enjoyed it. With my soft spot for MTV cartoons it was about time.

Wow, Daria is a thousand times more mature than I thought it would be. Perfectly capturing high school, better than most series that advertise as a good representation of high school. Fantastic writing, I'm a sucker for sarcastic humor and when any serious storyline comes up its handled with care and reminds me a lot of what I had to go through when I was their age(College applications, being a slacker, parents trying to get me more inclined to do something, etc.). Some of the most relatable characters I've ever seen in a TV show. I thought the ending with the TV movie Is It College Yet? was perfect, it fit how somehow mundane the show can be while effectively ending it without trying to be epic. Making it even more real. One of my personal favorite things about this show is how a lot of the voice actors didn't do any other cartoons, which gives the show its own individuality.

:bow Jakey :bow2

I wasn't a big fan of Tom but he grew on me. I want to get it on DVD but the lack of music will ruin it for me I think. That and Ed are the only two shows I still want on DVD.

itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6432 on: December 31, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Like The EXP I just assume the Simpsons ended after the 10th season or so, I don't even watch them in re-runs anymore. I know Al Jean and a bunch of old staff are back and they're supposedly better but the teenage seasons ruined everything I loved about that show.

Yeah a lot of the people who made it great (except George Meyer and John Swartzwelder, arguably the best writers who were on the show) are back but you can tell that they just don't give much of a fuck.  They're just in it for the fat paycheck.  Good for them I guess but I won't be watching.
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6433 on: December 31, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
The new episodes have some legitimately good moments but the style of the show has just changed too drastically to really bring back what made the first ten seasons great.

pilonv1

« Reply #6434 on: January 01, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »
:bow Jakey :bow2

I wasn't a big fan of Tom but he grew on me. I want to get it on DVD but the lack of music will ruin it for me I think. That and Ed are the only two shows I still want on DVD.

I've never seen it with the music to be honest. The theme song showing up over and over again is probably my only complaint.

Pretty much every establishing shot in the show had 5-10 seconds of some popular alternative song on MTV at the time.
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6435 on: January 01, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »
Halfway through the third season of Blackadder.  Pretty good show.
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6436 on: January 01, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »

Third Season is Best Season. Everyone is superb.

S2 and S4 are also quite good, but S4 swims in its own darkness just a little too much for me.

There is no S1. It does not exist. Do not attempt to convince me otherwise.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6437 on: January 01, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
OH SHIT, OVERHAULIN IS BACK

Chip Foose :bow2
___

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #6438 on: January 01, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

Third Season is Best Season. Everyone is superb.

S2 and S4 are also quite good, but S4 swims in its own darkness just a little too much for me.

There is no S1. It does not exist. Do not attempt to convince me otherwise.

But S1 was great!
Drunk

« Reply #6439 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »
One of the students I do social skills groups with is a big fan of baseball and has heard of the Simpsons' episode "Homer at the Bat," but had never seen it before. Bought it off iTunes for my iPhone and we watched it today during lunch. Holy crap, I forgot how great the show was back then.
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6440 on: January 03, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
One of the students I do social skills groups with is a big fan of baseball and has heard of the Simpsons' episode "Homer at the Bat," but had never seen it before. Bought it off iTunes for my iPhone and we watched it today during lunch. Holy crap, I forgot how great the show was back then.

how many of the players did he even know?
AMC

« Reply #6441 on: January 03, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »

The only ones he didn't know were Steve Sax and Darryl Strawberry. He even got the whole "sideburns" joke with Mattingly.

Funny though, he didn't know that Mike Scioscia played for the Dodgers. Only knows him as the Angels manager.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:54:46 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #6442 on: January 03, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »

My favorite outcome of that episode was what happened to Steve Sax.

Eddie: Well, well, Steve Sax....from New York City.

Lou: I heard some guy got killed in New York City. But you would'nt know anything about that, would you Sax?

Steve Sax: But there's hundreds of unsolved murders in New York City.

Lou: You don't know when to keep your mouth shut, Sax.

(later in episode)

*locks Sax in cell*

Cheif Wiggum: Good work boys, I think we can just about close the book on all the unsolved murders in our fair city.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6443 on: January 03, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

The only ones he didn't know were Steve Sax and Darryl Strawberry. He even got the whole "sideburns" joke with Mattingly.

Funny though, he didn't know that Mike Scioscia played for the Dodgers. Only knows him as the Angels manager.

I like this kid, although not knowing Darryl Strawberry is not cool in my book, obviously.
AMC

« Reply #6444 on: January 03, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »

I like this kid.

He's a great kid. I take him to a Mariners game over summer vacation every year.

I can see him not knowing Sax, but I too was shocked that he didn't know Strawberry. I was like "he was on the Mets with Dwight Gooden back in the day"... his response? "Who is Dwight Gooden?"

Feels bad man.
野球

« Reply #6445 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »

GET RID OF THOSE SIDEBURNS

"I still like him better than Steinbrenner."

« Reply #6446 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
I'm not sure what my favorite episode is, but my wife loves the Monorail (MONORAIL!!) episode and the Valentines Day one with the Unimportant Presidents song and You ChooChooChoose Me!.
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6447 on: January 03, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »

I like this kid.

He's a great kid. I take him to a Mariners game over summer vacation every year.

I can see him not knowing Sax, but I too was shocked that he didn't know Strawberry. I was like "he was on the Mets with Dwight Gooden back in the day"... his response? "Who is Dwight Gooden?"

Feels bad man.

OUCH
AMC

« Reply #6448 on: January 03, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »

I like this kid.

Feels bad man.

OUCH

He's 17, so I can't really blame him. I think he only gets the sideburns joke because of Seinfeld.
野球

« Reply #6449 on: January 03, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »
Conan O'Brien wrote the monorail episode, which explains a lot.

Homer Goes to College (also written by Mr. O'Brien) is up there as one my favorites. I love how Homer envisions college as being exactly like Animal House, even when it isn't.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:16:32 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6450 on: January 03, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »
I've seen three baseball games start to finish, only because I was in the stadium. One at the old Tigers stadium, two at Comerica Park lol. I can barely watch a couple minutes of it on television unless I'm at a bar/Buffalo Wild Wings

and I've never seen an episode of The Simpsons
[close]

« Reply #6451 on: January 03, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »
He also created the sea captain and the yokel.

And Jub Jub!
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6452 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
He's 17, so I can't really blame him. I think he only gets the sideburns joke because of Seinfeld.

It hurts because Gooden was destined for the Hall of Fame. :(

Made me look at Gooden's stats (like I do every few months) and I didn't realize that by Baseball-Reference WAR his 1985 was the best season since Babe Ruth's 1923.
AMC

« Reply #6453 on: January 03, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »

It hurts because Gooden was destined for the Hall of Fame. :(

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
野球

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6454 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »
Wrapped up Blackadder.  Good show but I liked the second and third seasons the best.
🍆🍆

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6455 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »
Re: Simpsons

To me it's hard to top the Frank Grimes episode. Not only is the main story a terrific commentary on life in general, but the 'B-story' where Bart buys an old abandoned building is just as funny.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6456 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »
Well, I have no idea where they're going with American Horror Story now.
sup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6457 on: January 04, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »

To me it's hard to top the Frank Grimes episode. Not only is the main story a terrific commentary on life in general, but the 'B-story' where Bart buys an old abandoned building is just as funny.

Vertigo

« Reply #6458 on: January 04, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

I need to catchup with season 2.

Must have 4 episodes to catch up with.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6459 on: January 04, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »

I need to catchup with season 2.

Must have 4 episodes to catch up with.
same here.  the holidays fucked up all my shows.

« Reply #6460 on: January 04, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »

The Frank Grimes episode is brilliant. Incredibly dark, but a great example of the show really going somewhere you didn't expect.
野球

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6461 on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »
Holy shit at Sophia's ending in TWD. This show is so good.

The long, meandering middle part of Season 2 was painful, but they gave it a hell of a payoff, that's for damn sure.
MMA

pilonv1

« Reply #6462 on: January 05, 2013, 06:46:15 AM »
I really don't see how you can say that. The show has gone full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow and multiple critics have completely turned on the show, etc. I defended S1's finale for a year but given this dive in quality, they really should have just killed Brody off last season with the vest. S2 has just been a series of cut corners and casually bad writing that extends the ridiculous plot at the expense of making sense. I can forgive a couple ridiculous moments, but the season has basically strung them together episode after episode. Like last ep where the FBI is searching for the most wanted terrorist in the fucking world, who is holed up in a closed refinery, and doesn't use canines. Or earlier in the season when Brody not only sneaks a cellphone into a fucking Pentagon situation room, he sends a text message to someone halfway around the globe...who receives it in real time and avoids getting shot. Come on

How can you leave you the stupid fucking hit & run car storyline that served no purpose other than to put Dana and Carrie in the same spot.

I was wavering on it mid season but I'm back on board now, they moved away from the interesting stuff (fighting turrists) to boring stuff (family/relationship issues). Looking forward to S3 providing that this isn't overlooked

I really hope they don't ignore the fact that Carrie just helped  a guy suspected to commit a terrorist act on American soil to get out of the country, and where the fuck will he run really? his face will be on the mind of every citizen of this planet a ginger war hero congressman turned terrorist? good luck going incognito.

If they ignore this I'll give up, it's just getting stupid.

Seems like the storyline will be Dana believes Carrie while the Saul & the family thinks she's a fucking lunatic. Will be interesting to see if Quinn shows up again.
itm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6463 on: January 05, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Technically.. (Homeland spoilers)
He is a terrorist, and killed the VP. Carrie is basically an accessory to murder and treason. It'll be interesting to see how she explains how she left the CIA building too, and why Brody's body is missing. Of course there should have been cameras everywhere to catch her
[close]

Plz bring in Keither Sutherland to hunt this fool :bow

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6464 on: January 05, 2013, 11:11:29 PM »
Peter Quinn is hotter than Jack Bauer.

The hit & run side-story didn't bother me too much but I don't think they'll have time to spend with filler stories next season. And I doubt Brody will go more than a few episodes before being caught by the CIA but I don't think he will be executed or put on trial. Think about it, if Saul who is serving as the acting director of the CIA is presented with any security camera or other evidence showing that Brody wasn't the one who set up the car bomb, then he'll know that Brody was obviously set up by some AQ cell.

Then we'll have another season of Brody being used as a double-agent by the CIA but this time he won't have his family, prestige, etc.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #6465 on: January 05, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

ALRIGHT EVERYONE TUCK YOUR PANTS INTO YOUR SOCKS
pcp

Beezy

« Reply #6466 on: January 06, 2013, 12:01:03 AM »
Started season 2 of Downton Abbey. I missed this theme song. :-[

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6467 on: January 06, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
The first 3 eps of Wilfred S2 suck. Tell me it gets better please. It seems like they are just trying to undo the damage at the end of S1

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6468 on: January 06, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »
Watching Peep Show.  I kind of got burned out on awkward comedies years ago so I'm kind of lukewarm on this show.  I mean, it's enjoyable and fills its role as background noise but the whole awkward thing just doesn't do it for me anymore.
🍆🍆

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #6469 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »
watching the biggest loser. someone passed out after 3.5 min on a treadmill. wow this is pathetic
dur

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6470 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
The first 3 eps of Wilfred S2 suck. Tell me it gets better please. It seems like they are just trying to undo the damage at the end of S1
There are at least four episodes in S2 that are the pinnacle of the series. The penultimate episode is the biggest mindfuck on TV.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6471 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »

i  can honestly say i didn't expect a musical dance routine
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6472 on: January 07, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
There are at least four episodes in S2 that are the pinnacle of the series. The penultimate episode is the biggest mindfuck on TV.
I'll have to keep going then.  The 4th was better but it still seems a bit off for some reason.  I jumped right into s2 from s1 and the flow is definitely different.  I hope it picks up

Vertigo

« Reply #6473 on: January 07, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
Is Justified worth watching?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6474 on: January 07, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »

i  can honestly say i didn't expect a musical dance routine

best part? best part.

sup

« Reply #6475 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Watched Downtown 3-1 last night. I know what happens at the end of the season...

MARY FUCKING KILLED MATTHEW WHEN SHE OPENED HER EYES :lol
[close]
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6476 on: January 07, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »
uhhh did you willingly spoil yourself, and is that the only spoiler you've read?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6477 on: January 07, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »
Is Justified worth watching?

Yes. I think the pilot was good enough to tell if you'll like the rest of the series.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6478 on: January 08, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »
happy endings was on fuckin fire last night, love having two new eps per week. Sad that it's gonna get canceled, funniest show on TV

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #6479 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
If it isn't already, it seems like a foregone conclusion.
WDW