Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082865 times)

Beezy

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #7140 on: April 24, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
whaaaaaaat?!

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7141 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:36 PM »
"You want to feel shitty right up until I take your dress off? If you want to skip dinner, fine. But don't pretend."

:deadkobe

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7142 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:28 AM »
Watching the BBC production of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal. Clearly a bunch of money was spent on this, so I'm wondering why I've never heard of it before. Apparently it has been preceded by The Colour of Magic and The Hogfather by the same production team, The Mob. Only the current one is available on iTunes; Amazon has them for streaming, but not to Japan.

Anyway, Going Postal is quite charming. And it has Charles Dance! (Tywin Lannister)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7143 on: April 25, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »
I can't get into any of those shows.  I think my problem is that I've read the books so much that I have this clear vision of them in my head and when it doesn't match up, i find the adaptations somewhat wanting

Tonya

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #7144 on: April 25, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
Has anyone watched Hannibal? And if so, are there any screeching violins? Or moody 80's synth shit?
:{]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7145 on: April 25, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
I can't get into any of those shows.  I think my problem is that I've read the books so much that I have this clear vision of them in my head and when it doesn't match up, i find the adaptations somewhat wanting

Yeah, I can sympathize. However, I've only ever had the book covers to work with for visuals, so I think I actually prefer these representations than the cartoonish book covers. 

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7146 on: April 26, 2013, 12:20:13 AM »
Andy: That's right two lead vocalists--name one other band who's done that!

Ben: The Beatles!

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7147 on: April 26, 2013, 12:58:57 AM »
Has anyone watched Hannibal? And if so, are there any screeching violins? Or moody 80's synth shit?
It's pretty good. At the very least, it's one of the most beautiful shows on TV, from its surreal dream-like visions to the setpieces and atmosphere.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #7148 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:08 AM »
American Horror Story is insanely addictive. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7149 on: April 29, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »
It's pretty good. At the very least, it's one of the most beautiful shows on TV, from its surreal dream-like visions to the setpieces and atmosphere.
Yeah, I've picked up the first episode. So far, I like their take on Will Graham better than Manhunter's version. He's believable.

hampster

« Reply #7150 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
I started The Finder on netflix. Its a pretty fun show, a standard procedural but with a quirky twist. Honestly that might be my favorite type of show these days.

I find it funny how seriously they take his compulsion to find things. In the first episode one of the characters said "He needs to find the things he's looking for... but what happens when he can't find something? WHAT HAPPENS THEN?" :rofl

I also watched the first episode of continuum. The acting and writing is terrible but I like time travel so I'm stuck watching it :(
Zzz

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7151 on: April 30, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Cool. Dancy looks awfully pained. He probably has a special looking pained exercise room.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #7152 on: April 30, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
Veep has been on a roll this season.

Julia :heart
Drunk

hampster

« Reply #7153 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »
In The Finder Walter met his opposite, the secret agent woman who hides things :rofl I really love how dumb this show gets, its the good kind of dumb
Zzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7154 on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »
In The Finder Walter met his opposite, the secret agent woman who hides things :rofl I really love how dumb this show gets, its the good kind of dumb

Is this show some kind of parody? I mean, intentional parody?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7155 on: May 06, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »
if Happy Endings does not get renewed than the final episode of season 3 is a damn good cap off to the show
Tonya

hampster

« Reply #7156 on: May 06, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »

Is this show some kind of parody? I mean, intentional parody?

It's basically to Bones what Psych is to The Mentalist. Just a lighthearted take on the more serious procedural. I wouldn't really call it a parody though

That said I finished the show on Netflix and it has one of the saddest endings I've seen:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Willa runs away to avoid her arranged marriage, Walter goes to jail for finding his mom and maybe killing those three attackers, Isabel is fired which ends her ambitious dreams and Leo is left alone at the End of the Earth and will likely fall back into depression and maybe violence. Those last few minutes were a big punch in the gut
[close]

I want a second season where the crew gets back together but it will never happen :'(  Besides, it wouldn't be the same without Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP)
Zzz

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #7157 on: May 06, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »

:bow
Drunk

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7158 on: May 06, 2013, 05:48:42 PM »
The new season rather than the final season. Holy shit, 3 gave off a serious Dexter vibe of running out of ideas holy shit there's free coke.

Season 1 was amazing though. The dude from Home and Away banging a not so hot girl, and looking seriously ripped, enough for heterosexual men to notice, and whisper "damn" softly.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7159 on: May 06, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
The only real problem with Burn Notice, apart from the skeletal oirish girl, and lots of other things, is the fact that the main guy looks like a seriously unlikeable shithole.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7160 on: May 07, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
In happier news, Arrow is firmly on my watch list. Also there was a bit last night that The Raid totally ripped off.

cool breeze

« Reply #7161 on: May 07, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »
Watched like 4 seasons of Burn Notice but now im burned out on it. Just doesnt seem like the plot is going anywhere, and the cool spy part of the show is wearing out a lot. Kinda dont wanna watch anymore

It's a USA network show.  You could try watching White Collar.  It's basically Burn Notice with a different hook (conman working with FBI).  Same episode and season structure.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7162 on: May 08, 2013, 12:51:56 AM »
if Happy Endings does not get renewed than the final episode of season 3 is a damn good cap off to the show
well yeah. but the funniest sitcom on TV deserves a fourth :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7163 on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Getting caught up on Hannibal; I bought a season pass, because Mads Mikkelson. Also, their Will Graham continues to impress me, and you never really know what Lecter is serving his dinner guests. Making Freddie Lounds a hot redhead was a good idea, too bad she is easily the weakest link in the acting sphere of an otherwise impressive cast.

Episodes 2 and 3 of Defiance were both much better than the pilot, which was largely generic. I can't get past the "Lawkeeper" being just like Han Solo, but it's the Empire Strikes Back Solo, not the Return of the Jedi Solo, so that's good. Some of the homage to earlier SF is just too direct. Like the elevator scene in the mine, going down to face the Alien Queen Hellbug Broodmother, the troupe was actually outfitted with gear which looked straight out of USCM surplus. Colonial Marines in an mining operation's elevator going to face alien bugs. A bug hunt. Yeah. BUT I STILL LIKED IT, otherwise.

Picked up the season pass for Enlightenment as well. Lead character reminds me of several of my California friends. So angry.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7164 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
She's much mellower as you watch the rest of the show.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7165 on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
Getting caught up on Hannibal; I bought a season pass, because Mads Mikkelson. Also, their Will Graham continues to impress me, and you never really know what Lecter is serving his dinner guests. Making Freddie Lounds a hot redhead was a good idea, too bad she is easily the weakest link in the acting sphere of an otherwise impressive cast.

Episodes 2 and 3 of Defiance were both much better than the pilot, which was largely generic. I can't get past the "Lawkeeper" being just like Han Solo, but it's the Empire Strikes Back Solo, not the Return of the Jedi Solo, so that's good. Some of the homage to earlier SF is just too direct. Like the elevator scene in the mine, going down to face the Alien Queen Hellbug Broodmother, the troupe was actually outfitted with gear which looked straight out of USCM surplus. Colonial Marines in an mining operation's elevator going to face alien bugs. A bug hunt. Yeah. BUT I STILL LIKED IT, otherwise.

Picked up the season pass for Enlightenment as well. Lead character reminds me of several of my California friends. So angry.

Hannibal is pretty fantastic - I actually like the redhead, I she has a great shit disturber glimmer in her eye. My only real issue is that I probably only ever understand about 3/4 of what Mikkelson says. I'm surprised, especially for a network show, that more ADR work wasn't done.

Also it reunites me with my waifu, Caroline Dhavernas :heartbeat (although she hasn't stood out too much yet - I'm only on Ep5)
___

Barry Egan

« Reply #7166 on: May 09, 2013, 12:45:01 AM »
John Cochran is on his way to locking up Survivor this season, according to AVClub.  :bow2

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #7167 on: May 09, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
Just started The Prisoner. This is some bad ass TV for the 60s.
zzzzz

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7168 on: May 09, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
Prisoner is amazingly weird.

Tonya

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #7169 on: May 10, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
Yeah, this show is great. Just watched Free For All. So weird. Really ahead of its time in a lot of ways.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:04:22 PM by BobFromPikeCreek »
zzzzz

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #7170 on: May 10, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager Shit show wouldn't bang 2/10 sharp knees etc.

Spoilers ahoy!

Totally uninteresting cast/aliens, plot holes aplenty, shit ending.

Seriously there was no build up, I am guessing Chakotays actor was like how come my character doesn't get any action, but who do we pair you up with oh yeah seven of nine.

Harry Kim was Beta par exelan and he ended up getting more action than Paris who was supposed to be the ladies man :lol

Enterprise is better than this shit.

[close]

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:02:57 PM by D3RANG3D »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7171 on: May 10, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
I liked Seven of Nine and the Doctor.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #7172 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:45 PM »
I liked Seven of Nine and the Doctor.

I liked the Doctor at first until they let his ego run wild during the last few seasons, what a pretentious cunt. Seven of nine was just eye candy. Character wise it doesn't help the show that Lieutenant Barclay worst trek character ever is on this shit show way to much.

They could have done something more with her character other than just forcing her on somebody randomly, the Star Trek female character modus operendi  :yuck
[close]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:27:28 PM by D3RANG3D »

etiolate

« Reply #7173 on: May 10, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »
Watched the pilot episode of The Good Guys on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. It is a buddy cop show having fun with cliches from the 80s and earlier, but the pilot was a lot of fun. The leads have good chemistry as well. Dat Tom Hanks DNA.

Unfortunately I know it got canceled. I have a feeling if the show continues with the same vibe and feel that is has going that it was just not a good match with Fox. It feels like it could have been a successful basic cable show. Maybe USA or TNT or FX.

Watched the final two episodes of The Americans. Best new show of the year.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7174 on: May 11, 2013, 06:43:21 AM »
happy endings was cancelled

fuckers
Tonya

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #7175 on: May 11, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »
And yet against all odds Community was renewed for another zombie season.
WDW

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #7176 on: May 11, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »
just finished season 4 of archer.  There were some eps where I was like "can I really keep laughing at this for the rest of the season/show" but somehow, when the references got weirder and more obscure, I started enjoying it again, even though I don't know what they're talking about half the time.

The last two episodes were by far the best. 
SEALAB!!!!!! I was hoping the rest of the crew would be on there, but it was still great.
[close]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7177 on: May 11, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
And yet against all odds Community was renewed for another zombie season.

Yeah I kinda wish they put it out of its misery. The back half of the season was better than the first half which was absolutely terrible but that show has lost its way big time. Season 5 definitely needs to be the final one and they should be told that going in so they don't waste time fucking around.

Just started The Prisoner. This is some bad ass TV for the 60s.

Love the Prisoner. Watched it for the first time a few years back. I think some of the later episodes are a bit meh but man I love that freaking show and the vibe it has.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:47:33 PM by Stoney Mason »

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7178 on: May 11, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
It's an amazing visual feast.

Pros: there are no hunky gladiators throwing Romans around like shuttlecocks. And the lead doesn't look like he'll get cancer anytime soon.
Cons: the writing is actually pretty mediocre, but its eye candy is diabetic. Also Lawrence Fishburn initially wore a serious beard for the part of Crawford, but his intense love IRL of French onion soup and starlets vagees pretty much showed up in his beard during filming.
It was mostly the onion bits tbh.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7179 on: May 11, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »
Mads is pretty good, and apart from his speech defect I can understand what he's saying.

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #7180 on: May 11, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »
Hannibal is a mixed bag. All that "this is my design cringe" and visually it tries way too hard and comes off like a complete spastic. But, and it's big but - Mads every week. Can't hate on that. Also the concept is really great - I just wish they'd put in the hands of someone more competent.

ANYWAY, I just finished marathoning The Shield. So many feels. One of the best cop dramas of all time, no doubt. White Man was right though, that flashback episode kind of ruins things.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7181 on: May 11, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
Zach Stone is Gonna Be Famous is actually far funnier than I thought it was going to be.

It's about a clueless kid with no talents who's just graduated high school who has no idea what he wants to do with his life so he hires a camera crew to film him as he becomes famous.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/zach_stone_is_gonna_be_famous/series.jhtml

Tonya

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #7182 on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:14 AM »

Agent Coulson :bow2

Luke Cage?  :omg
[close]
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7183 on: May 13, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »
Watching the BBC production of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal. Clearly a bunch of money was spent on this, so I'm wondering why I've never heard of it before. Apparently it has been preceded by The Colour of Magic and The Hogfather by the same production team, The Mob. Only the current one is available on iTunes; Amazon has them for streaming, but not to Japan.

Anyway, Going Postal is quite charming. And it has Charles Dance! (Tywin Lannister)

I couldn't really get into The Colour of Magic, probably because I was too much a fan of the book, but I really like Going Postal [which I haven't read].
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7184 on: May 13, 2013, 07:07:16 AM »
I think Going Postal and Making Money are the absolute best of the late era Pratchetts.  It's a damn shame we'll probably never get the proposed third book about taxation
Tonya

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #7185 on: May 13, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

A TV show about Parkinsons jokes.

It's like they took that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and made it into a series.

Will watch.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7186 on: May 13, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »
Bunk? Day one.

also

Kiefer Sutherland Signs On For More ’24′, New Limited Series Is A Go At Fox
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/kiefer-sutherland-signs-on-for-more-24-new-limited-series-is-a-go-at-fox/
:rejoice

12 episodes, a perfect amount. Can't be worse than S6, or Homeland's second season

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #7187 on: May 13, 2013, 12:04:46 PM »
Even better they said if it does well they could return 24 as a full show in 2015.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7188 on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
Sweet. I'd like this season to mainly be closure for some of the arcs from previous seasons, perhaps some fan service. What happened to Tony, what happened to Mandy, perhaps a return of Max (the guy who tried to start the war in S2), a return for Pierce, etc.

And then if it gets a full season, I would hope that is a completely new story.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:24:01 PM by Phoenix Dark »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #7189 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »

It's like they took that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and made it into a series.

Will watch.

:holeup :trash
zzzzz

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #7190 on: May 13, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
When Julia Louis-Dreyfuss was lying on the bed, smoking a cigarette while adjusting her dress on Veep this week... :aah

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7191 on: May 13, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »
http://www.blastr.com/2013-5-12/take-first-look-jonathan-rhys-meyers-nbcs-new-dracula-series

I have over the course of my many many years on earth read a lot of really...ill-considered attempts to retell Dracula but this is just mindbogglingly bad.

It's the late 19th century, and the mysterious Dracula has arrived in London, posing as an American entrepreneur who wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. He's especially interested in the new technology of electricity, which promises to brighten the night - useful for someone who avoids the sun. But he has another reason for his travels: he hopes to take revenge on those who cursed him with immortality centuries earlier. Everything seems to be going according to plan... until he becomes infatuated with a woman named Mina Murray (Jessica De Gouw) who appears to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.
Tonya

Barry Egan

« Reply #7192 on: May 13, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7193 on: May 13, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
Veep is amazing this week.
Tonya

Robo

« Reply #7194 on: May 14, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »
A guy I went to High School and played Little League with got on The Hero.

http://www.tntdrama.com/series/the-hero/contestants/?id=505025&contestant=Shaun

Totes surreal.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:02:31 AM by Robo »
obo

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7195 on: May 14, 2013, 02:23:39 AM »
The Borgias is SO good this season. More consistently great than Game of Thrones, I feel.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7196 on: May 14, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »
Fucking Cesare is pimp deluxe magnitude. I mean, Rodrigo really is just lucking into who his first son was. His second jizzstain was taken care of even by that.

I always worried that tragedy would keep striking Lucrezia. I know that what happened on her wedding night will never let her have peace. You should try watching The Borgias while high (I'm not kidding) cause wow at the language and drama.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #7197 on: May 14, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »

Will watch.

NBC shaking up the fall schedule.
Boo

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7198 on: May 14, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Fucking Cesare is pimp deluxe magnitude. I mean, Rodrigo really is just lucking into who his first son was. His second jizzstain was taken care of even by that.

I always worried that tragedy would keep striking Lucrezia. I know that what happened on her wedding night will never let her have peace. You should try watching The Borgias while high (I'm not kidding) cause wow at the language and drama.
I watched next week's episode high as fuck last night, and I loved it.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #7199 on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/14/pilot-season-rejects/

:'( They didn't pick up Beverly Hills Cop  :'(
Boo