Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083113 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #7500 on: September 18, 2013, 01:24:48 PM »
Under the Dome had the stupidest fucking cliffhanger finale. It has an interesting premise and the cheesiness is actually fun but don't watch this show until the next season starts next summer.

Sons of Anarchy has a bunch of crazy but probably meaningless plotlines.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7501 on: September 18, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
Dads + Brooklyn 9-9 were terrible.

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #7502 on: September 18, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Under the Dome had the stupidest fucking cliffhanger finale. It has an interesting premise and the cheesiness is actually fun but don't watch this show until the next season starts next summer.

Yeah I'm kind of over SoA. It's always been dumb, but it used to be fun too at least. Now it's just all "how much awful shit can we cram in this week"

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7503 on: September 21, 2013, 01:18:03 AM »
AHS might be too dumb for me brehs

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok few episodes ago...Violet finds out Tate committed a school shooting in 1994. Naturally she freaked out initially and decided to ignore him...only to eventually make up with him. How is it possible that she didn't know he was dead? She saw the article detailing the shooting!

Now, she's dead (which btw I called the minute she ingested those pills) and is shocked that Tate has been dead all this time?! Either I'm a dumbass or that's a huge plot hole.

There's a new ghost every episode, and it's no longer horror as much as a ghost soap opera. I just finished ep10, and felt that and the previous episode were pretty bad.
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7504 on: September 21, 2013, 02:23:58 AM »

Check out Masters of Sex, the next big Showtime show. It's a period piece show about America pre-sexual revolution and the leadup to Kinsey's studies. Think Mad Men, but more about sex and gender roles in sexuality.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:26:58 AM by ZephyrFate »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7505 on: September 21, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »
the heart she hollers is the good parts of american horror story condensed to 11 minute chunks of insanity
Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7506 on: September 21, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »

Check out Masters of Sex, the next big Showtime show. It's a period piece show about America pre-sexual revolution and the leadup to Kinsey's studies. Think Mad Men, but more about sex and gender roles in sexuality.

Uh oh, sounds like the kind of show that hipsters will write 10,000 blog/tumblr essay entries a week about.
🍆🍆

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #7507 on: September 21, 2013, 02:48:06 PM »

Uh oh, sounds like the kind of show that hipsters will write 10,000 blog/tumblr essay entries a week about.

yeah but lizzy caplan gets naked
AMC

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7508 on: September 21, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »
Pretty sure she had her jugs out when she was younger and prettier. There's also that bit in True Blood.

She signed her career death sentence when she put 'comedian' on her cv. The only laughter she's actually elicited irl using just her mouth thus far is poor swallowing powers on executives cocks.
:{]

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7509 on: September 21, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
A lol gag joke

Robo

« Reply #7510 on: September 21, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
AHS might be too dumb for me brehs

Ok few episodes ago...Violet finds out Tate committed a school shooting in 1994. Naturally she freaked out initially and decided to ignore him...only to eventually make up with him. How is it possible that she didn't know he was dead? She saw the article detailing the shooting!

Now, she's dead (which btw I called the minute she ingested those pills) and is shocked that Tate has been dead all this time?! Either I'm a dumbass or that's a huge plot hole.

There's a new ghost every episode, and it's no longer horror as much as a ghost soap opera. I just finished ep10, and felt that and the previous episode were pretty bad.
[close]

I felt the same way, actually.  I tried to look past it and enjoy it as pleasant nonsense, but it's incredibly stupid and poorly developed.
obo

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7511 on: September 21, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
It's an kindof love or hate show

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #7512 on: September 21, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »

See Robo knows how to sell a show, take some notes Zephyr
Drunk

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7513 on: September 21, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
korra book 2 has been pretty good.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7514 on: September 21, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »

See Robo knows how to sell a show, take some notes Zephyr
the brilliant writing pretty much sells itself.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7515 on: September 22, 2013, 03:38:29 PM »
What are you trying to say? Is there lots of gay sex in this? If that's the case, no thanks.

Equally if it's just the guy from those Underworld films with acceptable words to speak, indulging in banging hot starlets, no thanks.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7516 on: September 22, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »
Downton Abbey tonight
:drudge

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #7517 on: September 22, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
Oh shit new season?
Drunk

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7518 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
What are you trying to say? Is there lots of gay sex in this? If that's the case, no thanks.

Equally if it's just the guy from those Underworld films with acceptable words to speak, indulging in banging hot starlets, no thanks.
here's my answer to pretty much anything you post:

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7519 on: September 23, 2013, 12:25:37 AM »
:lol dexter
sup

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #7520 on: September 23, 2013, 02:15:51 AM »
:lol dexter

and then dexter was a lumberjack

the end
萌え~

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7521 on: September 25, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? anyone

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7522 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »

Yeah I'm kind of over SoA. It's always been dumb, but it used to be fun too at least. Now it's just all "how much awful shit can we cram in this week"

And it's getting formulaic as fuck by now. Jax is just a bad ass that you should always cheer on, Clay has ten thousand lives, and the good guy that goes after them  is always worse than they are.

The first couple seasons actually felt like they had consequences, hopefully Wendy and Tara don't fuck up and King Jax gets his ultimate betrayal set up for the final season next year.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7523 on: September 25, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »

i want to give it a few episodes before i form an opinion

i didn't really like the opening episode
Tonya

cool breeze

« Reply #7524 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:12 PM »

first episode felt like the boring parts of the avengers (everything without RDJ or action) for an hour.  it wasn't so bad that I won't check out the next episode.

nudemacusers

« Reply #7525 on: September 25, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »

they have to realize that heaping all this shit on the show then tossing it aside the next week undermines the whole exercise.

this weeks episode annoyed me within 5 minutes. stahl 2.0.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7526 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »
Only good part of SHIELD.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7527 on: September 26, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
Saw the premier of The Goldbergs back on Tuesday. I'm a sucker for 80's nostalgia, but this show just wasn't that funny... I did like how they use the FF6 English font in it for some reason :P
^_^

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7528 on: September 26, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »
Where's the dude/other with the Julian Sands in drag avatar? I'd imagine he'd be comparing this to a powerful face, hewn into mountainside of tough stone.

Zebrafate, gurl, just lie back, oh yeah-uh, looking kinda stressed, let's bust out the tuna, tinned not fresh. Uh-huh, yeh, looks gurl, just make it old school, like things were earlier, and mad simples.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7529 on: September 26, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
That actually took longer than I thought it would.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7530 on: September 26, 2013, 06:41:46 PM »
I've been watching Sleepy Hollow, it's pretty good. Ichibod adapts to 2013 a little too quickly though, needs more fish-out-of-water stuff. Although it was pretty funny when he fired off one shot from his pistol and then threw it down and the cop lady was like "You only fired one shot!!" and he's like "It has more than one??"
©@©™

ZephyrFate

« Reply #7531 on: September 26, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
that show is fucking nuts. I love that it basically just doesn't give a fuck about stopping for a moment to breathe. it's just insanity every episode

etiolate

« Reply #7532 on: September 26, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
It's like bad 80s TV. It has no fear of being ridiculous. The premise is that George Washington is a holy cleric of a secret Covenant trying to stop the coming of the Four Horsemen of the Apocaylpse, and that Ichabod Crane is his time traveling zombie secret agent.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #7533 on: September 26, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
Can we ban anyone who watches that new show with Robin Williams?
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7534 on: September 26, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »
It's like bad 80s TV. It has no fear of being ridiculous. The premise is that George Washington is a holy cleric of a secret Covenant trying to stop the coming of the Four Horsemen of the Apocaylpse, and that Ichabod Crane is his time traveling zombie secret agent.

And that's the reason why I'm watching it. :rejoice
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7535 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »

Never heard of it. Feels good man

Robo

« Reply #7536 on: September 26, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »

That's not cool, man, he has Parkinson's Disease.
obo

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #7537 on: September 27, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »

The opening for this season of American Horror Story
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7538 on: September 28, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »

The opening for this season of American Horror Story

I, uh...I...um...

©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7539 on: September 28, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
Speaking of AHS I finished it a couple nights ago. Horrible show...

As I've said before it started well enough, and I was excited to learn more about things. But the second half of the season completely imploded with stupid shit IMO, and by the end it felt like a ghost soap opera. Ghosts were showing up left and right, there was absolutely no tension or "horror" left, etc.

and another thing:
The show sets things up so that people who die in the house cannot leave it...yet in the early episodes Tate was chilling on the beach with Violet. Yet when Violet died she couldn't leave the house. Better yet, in the penultimate episode the husband doesn't know Violet is dead, yet apparently finds out off camera before the finale. Then the idiot goes back to the house and gets himself killed, despite knowing the damn ghosts were trying to kill him. SMH
[close]

Constance was the only consistently interesting character.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #7540 on: September 30, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
sooo Homeland?  Anyone?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7541 on: September 30, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
Decided to watch Downton Abbey instead of Homeland last night. I'll watch it tonight.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #7542 on: September 30, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
Speaking of AHS I finished it a couple nights ago. Horrible show...

As I've said before it started well enough, and I was excited to learn more about things. But the second half of the season completely imploded with stupid shit IMO, and by the end it felt like a ghost soap opera. Ghosts were showing up left and right, there was absolutely no tension or "horror" left, etc.

and another thing:
The show sets things up so that people who die in the house cannot leave it...yet in the early episodes Tate was chilling on the beach with Violet. Yet when Violet died she couldn't leave the house. Better yet, in the penultimate episode the husband doesn't know Violet is dead, yet apparently finds out off camera before the finale. Then the idiot goes back to the house and gets himself killed, despite knowing the damn ghosts were trying to kill him. SMH
[close]

Constance was the only consistently interesting character.

American Horror Story is a gothic roller coaster, not really a "horror" story in the way that pop culture has been lead to think of the term.  Delightfully goofy and intrinsically camp in its execution.

do not watch the second season because it will only anger you further
Tonya

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7543 on: September 30, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
There's an interview on the AVclub with the Homeland creator. He seems to acknowledge the problems with S2. Has me a bit more hopeful

I watched the leaked premiere a few weeks ago. It was pretty low key for the most part, hard to take too much away from it one way or another
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:45:17 PM by Mamacint »
___

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7544 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
Been watching Hannibal S1, it's a well-made show. I have to turn on the subtitles to understand Mads Mikkelsen, though.
sup

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7545 on: September 30, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »
Hannibal always sounds like he's swallowing food.

Homeland premiere was okay when I watched it a month ago but it seems a bit too farfetched even for this show for Brodey to still be in hiding and the CIA building to be left as a crater, because that sets an example right? The six simultaneous strikes being relatively successful was pretty cool and not showing Brodey for the entire episode was interesting since it makes me wonder why they did it. I just hope he's not like a triple agent now.

Boardwalk Empire is lighting shit up pretty evenly this season. I guess Van Alden is going to Capone and Purnsley is going to the Libyan. I feel like the college prank shit is going to be a waste of time though.

I just started Sleepy Hollow, I don't understand it but I can recommend it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7546 on: October 02, 2013, 03:55:18 AM »
You guys are all making me feel happy that I didn't invest any additional time in AHS or Dexter, for sure.

I ended up liking Sleepy Hollow before the end of the first episode, but I was not thrilled with the first half. It also didn't help that they whacked the two characters I was most interested in seeing more of.

Started watching Doctor Who reboot stuff, starting with Christopher Eccleston's arc, because: Christopher Eccleston. Ended up becoming fascinated with Billie Piper's unusual figure and facial structure; she's got strong looking thighs, but the ass of a 13-year-old boy. Neat jaw. Anyway, yes (ahem), fascinated. I'm about halfway through, ending today with Dalek.

I should get back to Farscape, as I finally got up to the episodes I'd not previously seen. I had the DVDs from their original release, and I think I stopped watching with DNA Mad Scientist, as all the characters manage to become unlikeable in a single story, when they en masse turn on Pilot to amputate a limb for their own needs. I guess it was kind of brave to make all the characters "varied" and "of fluid morality," but it just made them unsympathetic for me.

etiolate

« Reply #7547 on: October 02, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »
So far, I'm liking Masters of Sex. Better than any of the other new shows at this point.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7548 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:39 AM »
 :bow Always Sunny. Badass.

The League seemed like a let down after the Rafi sidequest last week. Referencing it didn't help.

I watched it. :smug
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:25:42 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #7549 on: October 03, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »
I'm watching The Blacklist pretending it's actually a follow up on Robert California after he terrorized The Office.

Has anyone watched Lucky 7? Hostages?

Will have to add Sleepy Hollow.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:25:50 AM by benjipwns »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7550 on: October 03, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »
Always Sunny's been fantastic this season.
___

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7551 on: October 03, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »
Always Sunny's been fantastic this season.

I think the show has gotten better in recent years as its moved slightly away from just trying to be "edgy" for its own sake and exploring the weaknesses and foibles of each of the characters. The Mac is gay thing. The Dennis is a serial killer bits, etc.

benjipwns

« Reply #7552 on: October 03, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »
That's one reason I really liked the therapist episode* from last season (and to a similar extent the restaurant one) that some fans didn't find so great. And it was one of the great parts of the High School Reunion.

One of the effects, either unintentional or not, of the cutting down the last two seasons on the amount of appearances by recurring "known" characters (Waitress, Cricket, the Ponderosas, etc.) and the increase in bottle episodes has been to play up the horrible isolated lives the gang have now. For some reason I can't imagine them even being able to round up enough people to have a Halloween party in the bar at this point.

*And as pointed out somewhere recently, Mac has a lucid moment in that one where he says something like how they don't really have much in common and aren't all that good of friends.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7553 on: October 04, 2013, 12:09:21 AM »
the increase in bottle episodes has been to play up the horrible isolated lives the gang have now. For some reason I can't imagine them even being able to round up enough people to have a Halloween party in the bar at this point.

*And as pointed out somewhere recently, Mac has a lucid moment in that one where he says something like how they don't really have much in common and aren't all that good of friends.

Yeah I really like that stuff. And I liked the therapist and the restaurant episodes because they were great windows into their lives episodes. Those tend to be my favorite instead of the more wacky ones. One of my problems with the early seasons is that it almost felt like certain characters and at certain times all of them were portrayed as almost semi-cool. The show has really ditched that in the last few years. It draws the humour now almost solely from how pathetic they are and how they like to often feel superior to one another even though they are all pathetic. It sounds like it shouldn't work but it works really well. It's almost the way certain British sitcoms work. The humour is more about deconstructing the characters now.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:12:27 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #7554 on: October 04, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »
Yeah, you go back to the earlier seasons and Dennis especially you can make the case is a legitimately "cool person" who regularly picks up chicks, exists outside the bar, was the cool guy all the girls wanted in high school, etc. And they've really peeled back the onion on all of that and revealed it to be more of a delusion, one that the others in the gang seem to buy into.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #7555 on: October 04, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
Caught about 10 secs of Agents of Sheild. It looks hilariously awful.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #7556 on: October 05, 2013, 12:51:41 AM »
Sleepy Hollow is a pretty fun show so far, kind of like Supernatural.
WDW

meni stronk

« Reply #7557 on: October 05, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
yep, that sounds like a network TV show about superheroes written by Joss Whedon

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7558 on: October 05, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
not sure I've ever seen anything written or directed by him.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7559 on: October 05, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
Joss Whedon sucks.  A shame The Avengers was such a hit, it seemed like without it there would be a good chance we'd never hear from him again.
🍆🍆