Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083091 times)

Himu

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #10500 on: January 04, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »
by the end of this himu is gonna convince herself it's actually a great show.

Naw I stopped watching on episode 5. I don't have the stomach to finish it :lol
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10501 on: January 04, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
by the end of this himu is gonna convince herself it's actually a great show.

Naw I stopped watching on episode 5. I don't have the stomach to finish it :lol

please finish s1 for the lols. PLEASE

the last episode is good.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10502 on: January 04, 2015, 10:55:34 PM »
It's worth finishing the first season out.

nat

Himu

« Reply #10503 on: January 04, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
But the show is so bad. :brazilcry I don't think i can do it.

I don't know how much more of average teen drama I can stomach

What happens? :) is it purposely funny or is it the show trying to be clever (the dream hit the glass bottle sitting on a log scene comes to mind) while not realizing it's being stupid and very, very not so clever?
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10504 on: January 04, 2015, 11:06:18 PM »
I could only watch about three episodes before getting bored with it.  You people have better endurance with this show than I do.
🍆🍆

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10505 on: January 04, 2015, 11:27:22 PM »
Just get to the end of the first season. You'll see why Twin Peaks S1 is great.

Tasty

« Reply #10506 on: January 04, 2015, 11:31:42 PM »

:dead

This is brilliant.

Gonna load up the first ep tonight.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10507 on: January 05, 2015, 12:21:21 AM »
I watched the ABC tv event thing Galavant earlier with my girlfriend. I'm not a part of the target audience for it but she totally is. She adored it. I thought it was cute and mostly entertaining.

Really it's worth a watch for Timothy Omundson who is fantastic.
nat

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #10508 on: January 05, 2015, 01:29:45 AM »
I'm glad to hear Galavant is good, I've been looking forward to it. I'm going to wait to watch it until all 8 episodes are out so I can just binge watch them all at once.
WDW

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #10509 on: January 05, 2015, 02:31:21 AM »
So Himu, now that you're at least partially educated, answer the most timeless question of them all: which of the Twin Peaks gals do you like most?
serge

Himu

« Reply #10510 on: January 05, 2015, 02:39:45 AM »
None of them.

They all suck except the sheriff's assistant
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10511 on: January 05, 2015, 02:43:14 AM »
Not even Audrey or Joan Chen? Not even for a second? You're cold.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10512 on: January 05, 2015, 02:50:56 AM »
Audrey > Shelley > Josie > Norma > whoever else

(this is based on looks otherwise Norma would be higher tbh. Shelley was garbage personality but drop dead gorgeous. Actress is still gorgeous too)

TVC15

« Reply #10513 on: January 05, 2015, 02:53:31 AM »
Wait, you LIKE Lucy? She's like the worst female on the show aside from probably Nadine. Her voice. . ..ughgghghg
serge

Himu

« Reply #10514 on: January 05, 2015, 02:53:43 AM »
Audrey sucks. I love James and I've betrayed my dead best friend by kissing her side man she was cheating with her asshole boyfriend on!

Chen :zzz

I didnt like a single characters except the cops. The sheriff, his deputy who cries all the time ("tell him I didn't cry this time!" :rofl), and the sheriff assistant are the only compelling characters to me.

:yeshrug

IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10515 on: January 05, 2015, 02:56:05 AM »
Wait, you LIKE James? He's like universally the most hated character on the show! You've got some strange taste, missy. Also, you are mistaking Audrey for Donna--Donna hooks up with James. This is Audrey, and she's FANTASTIC:

And ASSHOLE BOYFRIEND? Are you talking about Bobby there? I DREAM about him fucking me still.
serge

Himu

« Reply #10516 on: January 05, 2015, 03:04:25 AM »
No I transcribed Audrey's lines.

All the characters suck, especially bobby.

Oh, that's audrey. I thought she was the idiot dating James and Football McFootserson. Oh no! I have daddy issues and smoke cigarettes at my locker! So edgy and endearing! Im telling the Norwegians about Laura! Take THAT, daddy!

Every character is a massive bitch except the three I listed.

You've got James, a moron biker who has helped two girls cheat on both of their asshole boyfriends and always has a deadpan "shoot me" face.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10517 on: January 05, 2015, 03:05:55 AM »
I won't criticize your taste in the show since it's obviously very culty and divisive, but two thoughts:

1. I'm kind of surprised you like Blue Velvet so much but don't find this interesting at all. They're considered two peas in a pod, with Blue Velvet being more dark and Twin Peaks being more lighthearted. Indeed, the hour or so of Blue Velvet deleted scenes point very much toward the lighthearted nature of Twin Peaks.

2. I'm also a little surprised by both you and PD's reaction to finding Leo comical. I find him to be the most legitimately creepy and sinister character in the series. I didn't find that soap scene laughable at all, and I'm generally cool with the idea of beating women.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:10:21 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

Himu

« Reply #10518 on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:03 AM »
Girl plays jukebox and randomly dances in a coffee shop after she pines for the awkward FBI agent who ikes his coffee dark isn't really amazing.

YOU'RE PLAYING YOUR MUSIC TOO LOUD AUDREY

Amazing character development
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10519 on: January 05, 2015, 03:51:47 AM »
I won't criticize your taste in the show since it's obviously very culty and divisive, but two thoughts:

1. I'm kind of surprised you like Blue Velvet so much but don't find this interesting at all. They're considered two peas in a pod, with Blue Velvet being more dark and Twin Peaks being more lighthearted. Indeed, the hour or so of Blue Velvet deleted scenes point very much toward the lighthearted nature of Twin Peaks.

2. I'm also a little surprised by both you and PD's reaction to finding Leo comical. I find him to be the most legitimately creepy and sinister character in the series. I didn't find that soap scene laughable at all, and I'm generally cool with the idea of beating women.

The only similarities between blue velvet and twin peaks is that they are about the seedy other face of small town America. Beneath the haply faces shown in the intro, it is a dark and sinister town with horrible secrets, going from blackmail to sexual abuse, and how far people go in their own extremes. Twin Peaks doesn't really hit those highs. Blue Velvet was endearing partly because there's something to grab onto. The mystery of the woman, her child, Dennis hopper's character, the physical and sexual abuse, the sheer insanity element of it all. With Twin Peaks, there's really nothing to hold on to. The only thing that keeps me going is the mystery of Laura's death which is barely expounded upon less and less with each episode following the pilot. rather than a story about a death of a girl affects an entire town, it turns into a story about a town and their random exploits.

I don't care that Audrey wants to fuck Cooper. I don't care her father wants to fuck hookers. Blue velvet stayed consistent the entire time and was far more engaging. It tries to replicates Blue Velvet's highs by offering random quirky moments. But Blue Velvet was not quirky, it was horrifying and creepy and helped to give the setting texture. Nothing gives twin peaks texture. Dale cooper just wakes up and has a dream that we are going to throw rocks at a bottle sitting on a log to find a murderer. blue velvet has a man who wears a gas mask to instill fear into a victim he has dead set on scaring then crap out of. One is meandering and thinks it is meaningful or whimsical or cute but is really fucking distinguished mentally-challenged without the self awareness to realize it. Worst, it adds nothing to the story and feels like it was written in because it sounded fun. The other is a menacing and scary scene that sets the tone and introduces the main antagonist in the most memorable way possible.

In a visual story telling medium, "why" matters. Why is dale cooper throwing rocks to find the murderer? More importantly, why should we care? Why is Audrey dancing in the middle of a conversation? Why is the show so concerned with this patch eyed woman and her drapes? When you tell a story with video, the viewer shouldn't be asking themselves "why is this happening?" multiple times an episode with little resolution that should be answered fully beyond "well isn't it funny?" or "isn't this weird?!" Which is funny, because David Lynch is a master in visual storytelling and the question "why?". Even if it's lighthearted, there should always be a why being answered. In Mulholland Drive, at the beginning of the movie there's a monster at the restaurant trash dump. Why and what that monster is are answered by the end of the movie. In TP, those questions are rarely answered. They are left hanging because being quirky gets a pass.

Of course this makes me wonder what the tone of the new season of twin peaks will be since Twin peaks isn't classic Lynch in tone and the 90's are over.

As for the Leo scene, it's just absurd and cartoony in the most soap opera of ways. guy just grabs a bar of soap, sticks it in a sock, and is like WHERE IS MY FAVORITE SHIRT. It's just stupid and the acting doesn't help.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10520 on: January 05, 2015, 04:01:45 AM »
Oh believe me, you don't even know why you should be concerned with the new TP season :p  I'm still confident Lynch could pull it off because Lynch is unpredictable, but I think the more supernatural the original series goes, the worse it gets, and S2 is like 75% supernatural shit. You, my friend, haven't even begun to see how the show goes wrong. I'm hoping the whole "25 years later" angle means that Lynch can and will give Lynch the ability to wipe a lot of the nonsense and baggage off of the table, but much of the stuff he's done since TP shows he's willing to wallow in the stuff. I'm still hopeful. He's had a lot of time off.

I understand you don't like the show right now, but from things you are saying, I think you might still reevaluate and come around. Right now, you're dealing with the expectations about the show that have been piled upon you for years and years. I've had similar things happen to me. Maybe once you reflect a bit, you'll get into it. It's not an easy show and not one everyone will like. I'm glad you're giving it a chance and I hope you do finish the first season, because it does build into a nice finale.

For me, when observing other folks' reactions to the show, the introduction of Maddy has always been key. If you can dig and roll with the introduction of the identical cousin, the show is probably up your alley. If not, well, you tried!
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10521 on: January 05, 2015, 05:06:42 AM »
Lucy's alright. I like "different" voices. I get bored of shit quickly okay TVC. I'm understanding of your vices and quirks understand mine.

I think himu hates the show because it's about the absurdity of life viewed from the outside. It's not serious, it's not riduclous, it's not funny. It's all of those thing often, and sometimes at the sametime.

I'm hating, it's love himu but you ride for Agents of Shield and I think the first season of Twin Peaks if often if not entirely stronger than the first season about a show with a supernatural female hacker and a senior spy agent who seems to somehow still care about everything and anyone.

Idk I don't really have more to type. I'm not a heavy handed motherfucker.

TVC15

« Reply #10522 on: January 05, 2015, 05:09:26 AM »
Lucy's alright. I like "different" voices. I get bored of shit quickly okay TVC. I'm understanding of your vices and quirks understand mine.

Understand this: Lucy sounds like Victoria Jackson from early 90s SNL. You, and Himu, have terrible taste in women. Few would argue against this.

This is what Himu and Toku approve of:

They are trash.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10523 on: January 05, 2015, 05:47:57 AM »
you don't even like women nicca so?

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #10524 on: January 05, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »
Mapp and Lucia was a lot of fun.  British seaside sniping and one upping each other for social status.  If it comes to Netflix or what have you, I highly recommend it
Tonya

Fifstar

« Reply #10525 on: January 05, 2015, 06:08:50 AM »
Watched the first season and the beginning of the second season of House of cards over the last week and it feels like it is already jumping the shark at the end of the first season. Still want to watch season 2, but it feels like the writers felt the need to inject to much crime and drama even though they had a solid base of a believable if over the top political series.
Gulp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10526 on: January 05, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
Norma>Shelly>Audrey>everyone else

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10527 on: January 05, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »
Norma>Shelly>Audrey>everyone else

Norma is probably the best personality wise with strong looks. She's so tender and patient with almost everyone. Very admirable quality, and not just in a woman.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10528 on: January 05, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
I just finished 24: Live Another Day

FUCK IT'S SO GOOD.
nat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10529 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:07 AM »

FUCK IT'S SO GOOD.

I better note to end the show on than even s8 imo

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #10530 on: January 05, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Not even Audrey or Joan Chen? Not even for a second? You're cold.

It's all about Shelly. I would beat her up with my cumsock full of soap anyday. :aah

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #10531 on: January 05, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
Main reason for watching House of Cards:

Kevin Spacey  :lawd
Kevin Spacey's wife  :lawd :mouf

I'd argue Kevin Spacey's character alone carries the show, but the second season is definitely cornier than the first. The first season was very personal when it comes to character interactions, the second season is more open and sloppier, not nearly as tight.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #10532 on: January 05, 2015, 12:12:08 PM »

I think himu hates the show because it's about the absurdity of life viewed from the outside. It's not serious, it's not riduclous, it's not funny. It's all of those thing often, and sometimes at the sametime.

I'm hating, it's love himu but you ride for Agents of Shield and I think the first season of Twin Peaks if often if not entirely stronger than the first season about a show with a supernatural female hacker and a senior spy agent who seems to somehow still care about everything and anyone.

I don't see what agents of shield has to do with anything. I can turn my brain off and enjoy Shield. Twin peaks is a show whose first scene is the discovery of a local teenager being found naked, dead and with blood found all over her. Agents of shield's first scene is one with a bunch of super heroes kicking ass. These two shows cannot be further away from each other and it is entirely possible to appreciate both.

Honestly, bringing up agents of shield is a lame move, Toku, especially given I am a really big David lynch  fan. I'm comparing twin peaks to pretty much his entire body of work. Agents of shield is the furthest thing from my mind while watching it, and if you cannot appreciate both type of shows, I don't know what to tell you.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10533 on: January 05, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »
I've been wanting to start house of cards. Hmmm. Should check it out. Hear it's pretty good.
IYKYK

Fifstar

« Reply #10534 on: January 05, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »
Like I said, I'm still looking forward to the rest of the season, just that emotionally manipulating and politically scheming Underwood would have been enough, didn't need to go out all Walter White like that.
Gulp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10535 on: January 05, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
First season was good I guess. Watched a couple eps and peace outed...although I LOVED what happened in the first ep of S2
:rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10536 on: January 05, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
Audrey>Shelly>Norma>Maddy>>>>Jocelyn>>>>Getting killed by Bob>>>>Donna>>>>Nadine>>>>Lucy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:21:14 AM by Human Snorenado »
yar

« Reply #10537 on: January 05, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »

I don't see what agents of shield has to do with anything. I can turn my brain off and enjoy Shield. Twin peaks is a show whose first scene is the discovery of a local teenager being found naked, dead and with blood found all over her. Agents of shield's first scene is one with a bunch of super heroes kicking ass. These two shows cannot be further away from each other and it is entirely possible to appreciate both.

Honestly, bringing up agents of shield is a lame move, Toku, especially given I am a really big David lynch  fan. I'm comparing twin peaks to pretty much his entire body of work. Agents of shield is the furthest thing from my mind while watching it, and if you cannot appreciate both type of shows, I don't know what to tell you.

That probably doesn't help, seeing how Twin Peaks is from the early 90s and you're basing a lot of expectations on your exposure to things have come since then.

A lot of my love for Twin Peaks is nostalgia since my parents let me watch it during the initial run on ABC. Wasn't allowed to watch Fire Walk With Me until I was older, though. My mom rented it and made me leave the room after the first few minutes.  :lol
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10538 on: January 05, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
There's also a nostalgic feeling about staying in resorts/hotels for vacations, in small towns. At least for me.

« Reply #10539 on: January 05, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
There's also a nostalgic feeling about staying in resorts/hotels for vacations, in small towns. At least for me.

I'm not gonna lie, part of my love for Twin Peaks is the local spots that show up in it (Snoqualmie Falls, North Bend, etc.).
野球

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10540 on: January 05, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »
As someone who only tried watching it in 2013, I will tell you Twin Peaks sucks.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #10541 on: January 05, 2015, 05:40:56 PM »
Gavalant was nice but what was really nice was during the commercials, the promos for the other ABC shows were song with Galavant's theme, it was pretty cool. Plus I like seeing Timonthy Omudson.
Boo

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10542 on: January 06, 2015, 02:03:56 AM »

FUCK IT'S SO GOOD.

I better note to end the show on than even s8 imo

Yeah. But I mean the endings were basically the same except one was in person and the other was not. I'll cop to choking up a bit tho. :tocry

but it's brilliant overall. The story was super tight and well paced. They are always moving from plot thread to plot thread. And all the threads manage to be relevant and tied into the overall threat too. Then they somehow manage to take all of it and tie it to relevant past plot lines and bring them back in a meaningful way. I was in shock, at how well written it was.

I used to be against the shorter season but I'm a believer.

I was legit shook when :

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It cut to '12 Hours Later'. I'M LIKE, YOU FUCKERS!
[close]
nat

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #10543 on: January 06, 2015, 07:27:08 AM »
Rewatching The Shield, in the middle of season 5. The pacing of the show is immaculate, but Dutch/Claudette are underused I feel. Getting ready for them feels at the end of the season  :'(
OH!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10544 on: January 06, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »
I saw one ep of the new 24 season, enjoyed it but didn't keep up. Will finish later.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10545 on: January 06, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
Everyone was skeptical at first but it's straight up classic 24 just without all the filler bullshit. Shit that would take 4 episodes to resolve before happen in two tops.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #10546 on: January 06, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »
It's always fascinating reading someone's opinion on Twin Peaks who watched it for the first time.  It's kind of an impossible show to talk about given the outsize influence it had and the media frenzy around it at the time.
vin

« Reply #10547 on: January 07, 2015, 01:00:46 AM »
Agent Carter was good, and Dum Dum is coming back!!
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10548 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:17 AM »
I enjoyed it too. Hayley Atwell was great. The scene where she snuck to steal the photo was really funny. She's clearly a giant awkard goofball playing a serious spy.
nat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10549 on: January 07, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
Agent Carter was really good.  Much better than shields first episodes.  Seems like a Alias that doesn't take itself too seriously with late 40's aesthetics. 

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10550 on: January 08, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »
Danger 5 Season 2 is off to an amazing start

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10552 on: January 09, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
Watched the final season of Weeds. Was a show I never would have finished if I had known where it was going from the get go but I had already invested in watching so many of the earlier seasons that I just wanted to eventually finish it. Like eating a bad meal but you've already eaten most of it so might well choke down the rest of it.

The final season was one of the weaker ones. It had the same problems it always had. Just random shit from episode to episode to have drama with no real plotting or understanding of where to take the characters.

The show was always such a missed opportunity. They would often introduce minor characters that were better acted and more interesting than the major characters and just shuffle them quickly in and out.

At least its done. Like a bowel movement.

At some point I need to put Dexter to bed also. I think I stopped around season 3 or 4.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10553 on: January 09, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »
The final episode of Weeds only barely manages to be better than the final episode of Dexter. Or maybe they're equal in garbage. I don't know. All I know is Weeds went to shit after Season 3 and somehow got 5 more seasons because Showtime.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10554 on: January 11, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »
Comedy Bang Bang kinda sucks. It'd be great if it were just the interstitial skits, but the intentionally corny tone of the interviews really drive me up the wall.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10555 on: January 11, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
Has the main actress in Weeds ever commented on the episode where Lexington Steel is nude?

Beezy

« Reply #10556 on: January 11, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
 :flabbypd

You really need to give up this obsession.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10557 on: January 11, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
New Archer sucked  :(

TVC15

« Reply #10558 on: January 11, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Worse than Vice?

What did they change ISIS's name to?
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10559 on: January 11, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
ya and CIA