Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083111 times)

zomgee

• We've *all*
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12720 on: September 08, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »
So "The Night Of" turned out to be a 9 hour Law and Order.

Boo.
rub

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12721 on: September 08, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »
So "The Night Of" turned out to be a 9 hour Law and Order.

Boo.
The ending was quite a let down.  Lots of build up to essentially nothing.  Still a well done show.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12722 on: September 08, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
The ending of Night Of felt like a different show. I suppose it was somewhat inevitable in a sense, given that it heavily focused on the trial and it's hard to do that without stepping into super familiar territory.

Overall I thought it was a really good show though.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12723 on: September 08, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
I watched the first episode and dropped it. Did he end up getting falsely convicted or what?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12724 on: September 08, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
I watched the first episode and dropped it. Did he end up getting falsely convicted or what?
you should watch it

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12725 on: September 08, 2016, 10:43:19 PM »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #12726 on: September 08, 2016, 11:42:25 PM »

It's worth watching but some of the twists will make you roll your eyes. The last two episodes especially.
rub

Beezy

« Reply #12727 on: September 09, 2016, 12:42:41 AM »
FX has been and will be the king of comedy and Dramedy shows. Atlanta is fantastic. Entire first episode is on youtube.

Donald Glover seems a lot more relatable and less spazzy compared to every other role he's had. Supporting cast is excellent, atmosphere and mood is heavy in every scene.
2016 has been great for new black TV shows. The jail scene in the second episode is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12728 on: September 09, 2016, 01:30:18 AM »
FX has been and will be the king of comedy and Dramedy shows. Atlanta is fantastic. Entire first episode is on youtube.

Donald Glover seems a lot more relatable and less spazzy compared to every other role he's had. Supporting cast is excellent, atmosphere and mood is heavy in every scene.
2016 has been great for new black TV shows. The jail scene in the second episode is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

The scene with the mentally ill dude drinking toilet water and then spitting it at a guard went from funny to pretty damn sad in a span of seconds. That entire scene nailed the truth about that facet of life completely. We'll laugh at broken people, not questioning what help they need or is possible. But the moment they do something wrong or cross a line, we beat them down.

The strides that have happened on cable TV shows in the past couple of years when it comes to language and content is amazing. "Fuck" isn't a sacrilegious word anymore, realistic sex scenes and gore is shown now. Realistic drug use. I'd argue these last couple of years have had more risks and innovation than the last 10 or so in the cable TV arena.

OH!

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12729 on: September 09, 2016, 01:16:24 PM »
The last episode of Mr. Robot was some of the best directed TV I've ever seen. :whew
vin

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12730 on: September 09, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
Naw, I'm not gonna watch it. Just want the spoilers.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12731 on: September 11, 2016, 11:27:31 PM »
Watched the most recent South Park season this week. Had heard very mixed things about it but I quite liked it. I notice that happens a lot with South Park. The seasons that some fans love I tend to not like as much and vice versa.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12732 on: September 12, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
now watch this

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12733 on: September 12, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
you should watch it

No you shouldn't, nothing happens for six episodes, they introduce two red herrings, then in the last episode the chick attorney turns into a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow for no reason and there's a hung jury, no retrial, and they go after the dead chicks ex/drug dealer whatever. Just super boring shit folks

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12734 on: September 12, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »
Started watching Orange is the new black. Two episodes in so far. We like it.
I heard people were :larry on the 4th season, right ? Just a heads up to know when we will have to let go if we find the quality nosediving.
ὕβρις

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12735 on: September 12, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
you should watch it

No you shouldn't, nothing happens for six episodes, they introduce two red herrings, then in the last episode the chick attorney turns into a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow for no reason and there's a hung jury, no retrial, and they go after the dead chicks ex/drug dealer whatever. Just super boring shit folks

This man just saved me so much time, thank you

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12736 on: September 12, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »
I heard people were :larry on the 4th season, right ? Just a heads up to know when we will have to let go if we find the quality nosediving.
3rd season was a pretty big downgrade IMO.  1st and 2nd are pretty good.  I still enjoyed 3 and 4 but it was noticeably worse.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #12737 on: September 12, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »
I really like Vice Principals, it always gets a few tears out of me. When I was watching yesterday, I noticed the dude that plays Belinda's husband is Paperboi from Atlanta. It must be cool to be on two critically acclaimed shows in one year when you're first starting out/blowing up.

Quarry was great, I like the dude that play the MC, I've seen him a few shows/movies throughout the years and it's nice see him in a lead role. I hope it's around while.
Boo

Dennis

« Reply #12738 on: September 13, 2016, 08:17:58 AM »
Latest episode of Vice Principals was great. The actress playing the principal is fantastic.

I also like that you can tell there is a pretty decent man inside Gamby somewhere. And of course he is immediately screwing up his new relationship with Snodgrass. Who I wouldn't mind riding on the bus.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12739 on: September 13, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
now watch this

Interesting watch.

The thing is I never really like South Park for its direct approaches to larger social issues. I think there is always some merit in anybody who can satirize any aspect of society in a clever way. So basically I like their stuff for the small scale intelligent insights. Not the larger insights as I generally think those are mostly bs. They also tend to never forget that you still have to be funny no matter what social message you are trying to convey and that is hugely important. A lot of satirists right of center often forget this.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12740 on: September 13, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
Yeah everyone definitely stepped up their game on Vice Principals on this last episode.  I can't believe there's only just one episode left to the end of the season :maf
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12741 on: September 13, 2016, 07:37:26 PM »
I can't watch the new VP episode until Thursday night.  :-\

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #12742 on: September 13, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »
Hey guys, how's Outcast?

I liked it
better than the walking dead anyway lol
萌え~

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12743 on: September 14, 2016, 10:32:10 AM »
Watched the first couple episodes of Mr Robot, found it kind of insufferable

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #12744 on: September 14, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
Finally got to watching the first season of True Detective. About halfway done. I've been told not to watch the second season.
rub

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12745 on: September 15, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
South Park was good, looks like they're going to have another over arching plot, too

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #12746 on: September 15, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »

Season 4 was good until the finale which was way too much of a cliffhanger to be satisfying. Don't worry you'll probably enjoy the show.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12747 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »
Finally got to watching the first season of True Detective. About halfway done. I've been told not to watch the second season.

Season 2 is watchable, but a little sluggish. People disliked Vince Vaughn's acting, I thought it was fine. Watching Taylor Kitsch's character fail to accept himself (not just homophobia, but likely PTSD) and become the catalyst for so many problems was hard. Rachel McAdams, whom I normally can't watch, is impressive in it. Overall, if you like the tone of season 1, you'll get that again in 2 without all that troublesome "progress."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12748 on: September 15, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
Who doesn't like Rachel McAdams, she is stunning and that's all I need.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12749 on: September 15, 2016, 07:22:23 PM »
Who doesn't like Rachel McAdams, she is stunning and that's all I need.
She is, she is absolutely beautiful and I'd love some side-hug action with her. But she has been miserable in almost everything I've seen her in. Distractingly bad. And now I think most people just don't know how to direct her.

Bebpo

« Reply #12750 on: September 15, 2016, 07:51:48 PM »
I have like 4 eps left of 12 Monkeys S2.  I think I'm bailing after this season.  It's super dumb popcorn entertainment and I really enjoy the main actors/actresses dynamic with each other.  Plus the whole Quantum Leap time-traveling to different periods solving mysteries is just fun. 

But man is the plot off the rails in a bad way this season.  Basically after the first ep they ditch the entire 12 Monkeys premise about stopping the plague.  Since it's S2 the show has to amp it up to even higher stakes!  So S2 is about the bad guy's trying to DESTROY TIME ITSELF and having to stop them by out time traveling the time traveling bad guys which if you ever stop to think about it, is like the dumbest concept ever filmed.  There's popcorn stupid and then there's I just...I just can't  :'(

Unless the last few eps take the plot in a corrective direction, I'm out, but I still don't dislike or hate the show.  It's entertaining, pretty well directed & acted, good music.  Just so, so stupid sci-fi.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12751 on: September 15, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
Theres plenty of safe hard scifi out there man, let stupid scifi live.

Beezy

« Reply #12752 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »

Season 2 is watchable, but a little sluggish. People disliked Vince Vaughn's acting, I thought it was fine. Watching Taylor Kitsch's character fail to accept himself (not just homophobia, but likely PTSD) and become the catalyst for so many problems was hard. Rachel McAdams, whom I normally can't watch, is impressive in it. Overall, if you like the tone of season 1, you'll get that again in 2 without all that troublesome "progress."
:iface :crazy :confused :cmonson

Don't watch season 2. What a fucking waste of time.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12753 on: September 15, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »
Theres plenty of safe hard scifi out there man, let stupid scifi live.

Isn't most TV sci-fi stupid? Not trolling, serious question.

Star Trek is generally bad science, good social SF. Sometimes bumbling and ham-handed, but most TV is.
The Expanse is harder SF, but the shortcuts made for TV brought it closer to the realm of dumb than the source.
Stargate is pure cheese.

The only two smart SF shows I can think of are Twilight Zone and its modern cousin Black Mirror. And those are not "hard SF" (in the Larry Niven, Greg Bear, Kim Stanley Robinson sense) so much as thought-provoking.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12754 on: September 15, 2016, 09:50:16 PM »

:iface :crazy :confused :cmonson

Was intended as sarcasm. I live in Japan, where irony is not practiced, it's just something that is inflicted on you by fate. So I'm out of practice.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12755 on: September 16, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »
What seasons of American Horror Story are worth watching? Any?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #12756 on: September 16, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »

I liked Asylum a whole bunch. Murder House and Coven are about on the same level of schlocky badness (in a good way.)

Didn't bother after that.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12757 on: September 16, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
I like 1, 2 and 3.  Understand that they get ridiculous as fuck, but it's part of the charm if you can buy into it.  2 starts off so good and escalates but blows its load around episode 8 and falls flat after that unfortunately.  3 is the most consistent and I really liked it.  All seasons are basically silly as fuck though.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12758 on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »
Understand that they get ridiculous as fuck, but it's part of the charm if you can buy into it.

That's no problem.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #12759 on: September 16, 2016, 04:19:52 PM »
I like 1, 2 and 3.  Understand that they get ridiculous as fuck, but it's part of the charm if you can buy into it.  2 starts off so good and escalates but blows its load around episode 8 and falls flat after that unfortunately.  3 is the most consistent and I really liked it.  All seasons are basically silly as fuck though.

Yeah, Asylum really has a clear ending but then just keeps going after for a few eps... Really quite weird.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12760 on: September 16, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »

How I feel. I like season 1, really like season 2, love season 3. I couldn't get past 5 or so eps of season 4 and didn't even bother with 5.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12761 on: September 16, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »
There isn't a single season of American Horror Story where any of the plotlines get satisfyingly resolved at the end (save maybe the first season), they can be really entertaining as just spectacles though.
WDW

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #12762 on: September 16, 2016, 10:55:29 PM »
alright, you guys win, Atlanta is good

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #12763 on: September 17, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »

5 episodes, ~5 min each.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12764 on: September 17, 2016, 03:00:42 AM »
I actually enjoyed the process of watching Season 2 of TD better than Season 1.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Season 1, each week was like "oh man, this shit is dope, can't wait to see where this goes" until it shit the bed at the very end. Season 2 was the complete inverse, like each episode everyone I knew would be go "well it can't possibly get dumber, right?" but it did!
[close]
But yeah don't watch season 2, it's so bad. It somehow manages to highlight weaknesses in the show that season one does a good job of sweeping under the rug

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #12765 on: September 17, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »
Full Frontal's back, full episode on YT as usual.

Last Week Tonight is great, but Samantha Bee is prob my favorite "anchor" second to Comedy Central Colbert.

Episode Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLur87nTwD0Buuh7Pn1zK5eMa4A12VS_fq

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12766 on: September 17, 2016, 04:24:42 PM »
Don't sleep on Quarry:

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12767 on: September 17, 2016, 05:23:07 PM »
Is it legit?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12768 on: September 17, 2016, 05:25:11 PM »
Is it legit?

Yea, it's good and those are official cinemax links. If you're down for sweaty 70s pulp this is your boat. Great direction and yummy violence.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12769 on: September 19, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
Holy fuck @ Vice Principals
🍆🍆

Dennis

« Reply #12770 on: September 19, 2016, 07:37:24 PM »

Not the best episode but that ending is something else.

There are some obvious suspects but maybe too obvious.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12771 on: September 19, 2016, 08:13:24 PM »
yeah, just finished it about 10 minutes ago.  The RR track scene was also intense. 
I was a little disappointed that Gamby didn't try to redeem himself.
[close]

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #12772 on: September 20, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
I actually enjoyed the process of watching Season 2 of TD better than Season 1.
Season 1, each week was like "oh man, this shit is dope, can't wait to see where this goes" until it shit the bed at the very end. Season 2 was the complete inverse, like each episode everyone I knew would be go "well it can't possibly get dumber, right?" but it did!
[close]
But yeah don't watch season 2, it's so bad. It somehow manages to highlight weaknesses in the show that season one does a good job of sweeping under the rug

Season 1 turned into an OK show at the end. You're right, it went from HOOOLY FUCK WHAT'S NEXT with great character interactions to... ok. Well. Ok, yeah.

I'd say I heard maybe 85% of Rust's lines through his marble mouth mumbling.
rub

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12773 on: September 20, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »

Watched the first season of Fleabag. It's not bad. Not great but not bad. The tone is a little off at times but I like that the main character is a complete a-hole.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12774 on: September 20, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
Narcos season 2 is fucking boring.
zzzzz

Beezy

« Reply #12775 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »
I thought season 2 of Narcos was okay until the final 3 episodes. They dragged it out way too long.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12776 on: September 20, 2016, 08:35:06 PM »
Tata is fucking sexy though.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12777 on: September 20, 2016, 09:43:47 PM »
Tata is fucking sexy though.

More a Maritza guy myself

benjipwns

« Reply #12778 on: September 22, 2016, 01:48:01 AM »
17th Precinct Pilot: https://rutube.ru/video/4f26ec06905add87a428bcc0312da260/
17th Precinct is a police procedural television program created by Ronald D. Moore. In a modern world where magic supplanted science, the unaired pilot featured two non-intersecting stories: the death of a city executive, and the introduction of terrorists who are devoted to the destruction of magic. Moore developed the series with Sony Pictures Television for NBCUniversal, bringing with him several of the stars of his reimagined Battlestar Galactica franchise as cast members. The series was pitched in September 2010, the pilot was ordered January 2011, NBC passed on the series in May 2011, and the unaired pilot was leaked in December 2011.
in a world where science was never "invented", and instead of using "oil, electricity, [and] coal", mankind relies on plant- and fire-powered magic to run society
the Stoics, "a group dedicated to the destruction of magic" in favor of "reason, rationality, and [...] science"—a laughable prospect, but one about which they are deadly serious
fun little pilot, the world building is better than the characters, a lot of it is kinda dumb standing alone without no series to follow up on the characters/magic stuff. But it does some fun things with the premise, like going to an apartment building and needing the super to turn off the power plant. Which is a literal plant.

And a fun action scene set within a silencing spell so there's nearly no sound.

It's a "case of the week" plus "ongoing plot" show, so with only one episode you kinda get bummed out about the time devoted to the case of the week. :lol

Not a bad forty-two minutes or so (for an hour time slot if aired) while I was playing a little Civ on the other monitor.

I guess Grimm has some similar aspects to it and that's why NBC didn't pick it up. Saw that show is on at least Amazon Prime for free, so I might watch a few episodes of that one of these days when it probably stops being free and I'm like welp nevermind then. Unless people suggest otherwise, it's one of those shows that has weaker early imdb reviews that then shoot up towards 8.7-9's.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:56:36 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #12779 on: September 22, 2016, 02:07:47 AM »
As an aside, need to watch Mr. Robot and Suits finally, I waited this season on Mr. Robot because I wanted to do it in sets of two or three instead of the week wait and forgetting stuff. I watched it as it aired last season until I had to miss a week and liked two episodes quite a bit more. Not sure if I can watch three back to back to back. That's what Suits is there for.

Also got my trash FOX DC properties back in town with the amazingly depressing Gotham and the fun and loveable Lucifer. And Blindspot and its slow drip of "wait, wait wait we got reveals, no lies, oh wait not yet."

Of the new shows that have already aired I'm going to give Bull, Graves and Lethal Weapon a whirl. I'm going to watch a couple episodes of all the "why are you doing this" remakes like LW and MacGuyver just to see how they do it. Also they both look absurd.

I saw Kevin James new show got big ratings. And has like a 25% RT score but 80% User Score.  :american