Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083115 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #14940 on: March 22, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
How did I never hear about Great News? And it has Nicole Richie? And Andrea Martin? I have homework now

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14941 on: March 22, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
NBC did a supremely shitty job marketing it, which is unfortunate cuz it's a really fun show. It tanked in the ratings, but luckily NBC quickly picked it up for a second season, though as of now it looks like it's lights out. A lot of really memorable, weird characters and really clever writing

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14942 on: March 23, 2018, 04:20:44 AM »
Lucifer is just silly, they finally did some stuff with Cain being immortal and all, plus Abel showed up. And Tom Welling is just nice to look at. Really, much of the cast is.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Do you know how many times I've tried to tell people, Abel is the asshat?!? Nobody ever believes me."
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #14943 on: March 23, 2018, 04:23:54 AM »
stupid AP Bio's ratings have leveled out, might get renewed

I have contained my rage for as long as possible, but I shall unleash my fury upon it like the crashing of a thousand waves!

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14944 on: March 23, 2018, 04:27:21 AM »

I have contained my rage for as long as possible, but I shall unleash my fury upon it like the crashing of a thousand waves!

It really needs more of an ensemble cast. There’s good stuff in there. I also love the look of the show. Very classy for a sitcom.

But yeah, The Mick is fucking curbstomping it.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #14945 on: March 23, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »
The Mick is good?

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #14946 on: March 23, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
the mick is very good

Tasty

« Reply #14947 on: March 23, 2018, 04:08:51 PM »
Nice. I love Kaitlin Olson. Dee is my fave Always Sunny char, lol.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #14948 on: March 23, 2018, 06:56:04 PM »
Santa Clarita Diet is such a great guilty pleasure. The second season dropped today and I'm already halfway through. Gonna be stuck with that "wtf do I do now" feeling when I finish watching it tomorrow. :'(

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14949 on: March 24, 2018, 12:05:17 AM »

I watched the pilot episode and didn't like it one bit...

I hate watched Santa Clarita Diet first season. I'll probably get around to the second season although I'll try to be more polite with my hate since I know some people like that show.

The Mick is a fun dumb trashy sitcom. It's fine.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14950 on: March 24, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »
Started up Hap and Leonard on a whim. Was into the first episode, felt like a typical southern buddies show then the final part of the episode happened and I was like what the fuck. Some heightened reality here like you'd see in a R* game.
:9

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14951 on: March 25, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »
The Mick is good?
I really liked the first season, but the setup grows stale for me, Good Place really ruined it for me, I expect comedies to keep things fresh now.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14952 on: March 25, 2018, 06:15:38 AM »
Started up Hap and Leonard on a whim. Was into the first episode, felt like a typical southern buddies show then the final part of the episode happened and I was like what the fuck. Some heightened reality here like you'd see in a R* game.
I very much enjoyed the whole first season. I haven’t got around the second one yet, but I plan to. The aacting is quite good, and as you said there is a lot of slightly off reality happening.

warcock

« Reply #14953 on: March 26, 2018, 04:37:33 AM »
Paul giammatti is a top tier actor. Maybe i should catch up s2.

Anything foreign or on netflix good?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14954 on: March 26, 2018, 05:01:40 AM »
Damian Lewis has a tiny, tiny mouth.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #14955 on: March 26, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »
Billions is the most entertaining dumb show on television. Some of the plotlines are mindbogglingly stupid, but it's so goddamn fun to watch.

Glad that season 3 is going to be about the rise of Bobby Billions Jr.

That's what really bothered me about s4 - it felt like a lot of the episodes were cobbled together from concepts and ideas from previous seasons. The 'abuse of an unwillingly subservient copy of ones consciousness' USS Callister was done in the Christmas special, and I felt like the themes of Hang the DJ were better done in San Junipero.

Honestly though, the worst episode of season 4 was the one of the yearly Wipe we didn't get as a result of CB being caught up with the show :'(

At least we are finally getting this.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14956 on: March 26, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »
Barry was pretty funny. I cracked up when they cut to his scene partner during the reading and realized what scene he was gonna read.

warcock

« Reply #14957 on: March 26, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »
Damian Lewis has a tiny, tiny mouth.

You fuck, i can't unsee. This should be a bannable offense 10 times over. Every fucking scene now. Its like the dude became rich to overcompensate. Fuck.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14958 on: March 27, 2018, 04:46:51 AM »
 I just finished season two of Ash versus Evil Dead. The penultimate episode was better than the final one. It was like a beautiful return to ED2, with some Army of Darkness thrown in. Little continuity nods were appreciated.  I also was happy to see Ivan Raimi get so much screen-time. The final ep had less internal consistency and some missed opportunities in the dialog and twists. Still better than s1.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14959 on: March 27, 2018, 03:26:03 PM »
I like Ash, but yeah it gets too much, would have preferred two movies over the seasons.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14960 on: March 28, 2018, 12:00:42 AM »
I watched the second season of Santa Clarita Diet...

Look I get it. And I also watch plenty of shows that people would crap on me for watching and enjoying. So I won't overly throw stones.

It took me awhile to get a comparison show for Santa Clarita Diet but I put on my old man hat and the best comparison is Bewitched. 

You know how in bewitched you knew within 3 minutes of every episode exactly what was gonna happen every beat of the episode. Remember how in bewitched every character was defined by like one characteristic. So Gladys Kravitz's sole purpose on the show was to be a nosy busybody. And you know how in bewitched no matter how fucked up the situation looked like you knew you were 5 minutes away from whatever Deus ex machina the writers cobbled together. And you know how when you watched bewitched you may have secretly thought to yourself, ya know.. I think I could write something like this at about this quality level.

That is Santa Clarita Diet. And the most interesting thing I think about the show is that someone has employed that style of show in 2018. Not saying that's necessarily an awful thing, just that its kind of rare for modern television.

I probably only really liked the
nazi wheelchair
[close]
episode and the finale episode just because it ends in such a ridiculous manner. The rest was meh to somewhat groan inducing. But like I said I've watched plenty of meh and groan inducing tv in my time that was enjoyable enough. So while Santa Clarita still remains mostly a hatewatch kind of show for me, its not painful to watch or anything. 

edit: after doing some googling and seeing some reviews my bewitched hot take isn't original.  :fbm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/27/santa-clarita-diet-season-2-addams-family
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:08:24 AM by Stoney Mason »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14961 on: March 28, 2018, 12:28:48 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14962 on: March 28, 2018, 12:40:07 AM »
I'm not sure I can handle expanse on drip feed when I was able to binge two seasons...

I guess I gotta suck it up

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14963 on: March 28, 2018, 12:46:31 AM »
I'm not sure I can handle expanse on drip feed when I was able to binge two seasons...

I guess I gotta suck it up
Watching it week to week is like going through 7 days of cocaine and sugar withdrawal all at the same time :(

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14964 on: March 28, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »
Anyone watch the Roseanne reboot last night? Laughed my ass off. It was like they never stopped.
©ZH

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14965 on: March 29, 2018, 12:53:27 AM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14966 on: March 29, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
I never got the vibe that she was portraying a trump supporter. More anti Hillary. I liked that they poked fun at pretty much everybody.
©ZH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14967 on: March 30, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »
I watched the first episode and it seemed to very much be Roseanne

benjipwns

« Reply #14968 on: March 31, 2018, 03:25:41 AM »
oh man, this scene at the end of this week's Lucifer with Cain and Maze setting up the final arc of the season :whew

just when i'm getting kind of turned off there's something like this that comes along to pump up the myth arc funsies

Cain has been a great addition even if they wasted half a season to get around to using him:
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #14969 on: March 31, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
While I was in Asia they had Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency S1 on Netflix (I guess it's available on all Netflix except the US because Hulu bought the US rights), so I downloaded all the eps and left my ipad in airplane mode to keep watching it back in the US. Just finished it up.

I really don't like Max Landis and think he's a douchebag, Chronicle is the only thing I've liked that he's worked on, but I grew up as a huge Douglas Adams fan and I gotta say, for like 85% of this he totally nailed Adam's humor and storytelling style. I felt it captured the bizzaro sci-fi british humor of Adam's writing really well and also thanks to both good direction and great performances across (the lead British guy who plays Dirk Gently is A+++, the psycho assassin and deadpan face hacker dude were so great, Elijah Wood and the gal that plays his sister, the van dudes, the cops, the fbi old guy/young guy duo, all great performances), this was a very enjoyable show with nothing else like it on the market, kinda like how in literature there's not much else like Douglas Adams.

It's not perfect, and there's like 15% of the writing/subplots that are mean-spirited or mysognist and that stuff feels like good ole' edgy Max Landis and against the spirit of Douglas Adams, but I'll take 15% cringe for getting 85% great funny Adam's style show with style and excellent performances.

Will check out S2 sometime, and it's a shame to hear it was cancelled after S2 but considering how standalone S1 was, I'll be happy just enjoying what we got. Although a couple of the directions they went in the S2 teaser seem a little shitty so I'll see how S2 holds up in comparison.

The Chris Evan's looking dumb fbi guy was waaaaaaaaaay funnier as a comedy/straight man routine with the old hardened mustache guy. That was really funny. Him being on his own as just "dumb bad guy" seems pretty lame.

Also in terms of stuff that felt really edgy cringe Landis, the one scene that stuck out was where the Office Space stapler guy looking bad guy meets up with his ex-wife/gf at a bar and then takes her back to his lab and smashes her head in with a guitar. That was really lame ass shit and the opposite of Adam's writing style.
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #14970 on: March 31, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
oh man, this scene at the end of this week's Lucifer with Cain and Maze setting up the final arc of the season :whew

just when i'm getting kind of turned off there's something like this that comes along to pump up the myth arc funsies

Cain has been a great addition even if they wasted half a season to get around to using him:
[close]

On a scale of 1 to Supernatural, how much of a waste of time is this show? I’m running out of shit to watch..
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14971 on: March 31, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
DIRK GENTLY WAS CANCELLED?  :brazilcry :six: :brazilcry :six: :brazilcry :six:

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14972 on: March 31, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14973 on: March 31, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »

[close]

On a scale of 1 to Supernatural, how much of a waste of time is this show? I’m running out of shit to watch..

its supernatural for ppl who believe they're too good to watch supernatural

kingv

« Reply #14974 on: March 31, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »

Definitely one of my top shows. I thought it was terrible for like 5 episodes, and then I got hooked.

I feel more invested in this show than the lives of my own family.

benjipwns

« Reply #14975 on: April 01, 2018, 02:09:15 AM »

its supernatural for ppl who believe they're too good to watch supernatural
or just daunted by the number of seasons, 13 vs. 3...or waiting for supernatural to wrap up...sometime in 2028 or so...

also, it goes for comedy supernatural would never

and it's like bad bad jokes a lot, but the show and the characters except Lucifer are in on it, which was my fear from the previews, but no, only Lucifer thinks he's fucking hilarious and clever all the time (the spoilered clip isn't a spoiler so much as i wanted to only have one video directly in the post, but it's an example of this retroactively, only Lucifer thinks his drawings are funny, Cain's taking issue with them and not amused by the buffoonery)

i'm assuming you're not familiar with the comic TVC so it's probably "better" than for those of us who are and loved the comic (though again thankfully, it's touched on the lore far more than i expected for being on FOX, especially after Constantine's heavy focus bombed so hard) versus the comic it's sorta spun off in its own direction similar to how Gotham at this point is barely about Batman/Gordon coming up and more just HERE'S EVERYTHING FROM BATMAN IN A WEEKLY DETECTIVE SHOW with some hooks to the mythology

since i already have the comics, i think i'm actually more favorable to both shows using the mythology for their own purposes versus something that does tons of straight lifting like The Walking Dead as compared to some people...like the Lucifer comics never dealt with his mum or Cain and i feel the show comes close to treating them similar to how the comic did treat things, Lucifer struggles with being part of a family in the comic too, and similarly stuff like the dabbling in politics on Gotham or just Hugo Strange aka Whiterose being around for seasons aren't regular comic topics

sorry about talking about Gotham everybody, i just fell way behind on Arrow in season two and never went back...and Gotham at least i'm only a season and a half behind! also, Gotham is similarly on FOX and not part of a weird corporate synergy effort like ABC's Marvel series or the CW's or Legion is

also, yeah, i spoiled that Superboy Clark Kent is Cain, but it saves you the show's working around the "HE'S GOT A BIT OF A SECRET" scenes peppered through like eight episodes and then a sudden two episode fake out that happened because of production issues ... biggest pet peeve regarding Cain is that all the supernatural characters (Lucifer, Maze, Amenadiel, Cain himself) refer to him/address him as "Pierce" in conversation between each other when they know and in the latter three's case have always known he was Cain...Lucifer even only really pulls it out in private to insult him which is weirdest of all, since when he was playing "Pierce" he barely interacted with anyone except to say "here's your case of the week" and "good work team" (the scenes were shot after and retroactively inserted into episodes held over from the second season)

benjipwns

« Reply #14976 on: April 01, 2018, 02:09:28 AM »
HE ASKED YOU A SIMPLE QUESTION WITH A SIMPLE ANSWER YOU FUCK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14977 on: April 01, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »
Watched that Supernatural/Scooby crossover episode. I stopped watching Supernatural around Season 6,7 or 8. Somewhere...

It was good. It helps that I've always been a classic scooby doo fan. It's not as good as Scooby Doo incorporated or the classic original scooby stuff but it wasn't too far behind. And it played with all the expected tropes in a fun way. I'd rather watch an animated Scooby Doo version of the show rather than regular Supernatural at this point.

TVC15

« Reply #14978 on: April 01, 2018, 08:24:55 PM »
Someone give me something fun to watch that I can idly view without much attention while playing Far Cry.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14980 on: April 04, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »
S12 of Trailer Park Boys is back to being enjoyable. Some classic scenes.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14981 on: April 05, 2018, 01:17:17 AM »

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #14982 on: April 05, 2018, 05:26:16 AM »
Krypton is a piece of shit. I didn't even manage to finish the first episode, the quality of this thing is atrocious. It's been a while since I've been bored so much from a pilot.

TVC15

« Reply #14983 on: April 05, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
Krypton is a piece of shit. I didn't even manage to finish the first episode, the quality of this thing is atrocious. It's been a while since I've been bored so much from a pilot.

Sounds like DC, alright.
serge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14984 on: April 05, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
Man, I wish Legion was Netflix or something. I might just have to hold out so I can binge

TVC15

« Reply #14985 on: April 06, 2018, 11:08:21 PM »
Watching last night’s Atlanta. Is Stevie Womder’s Sweet Little Girl about banging little girls?
serge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14986 on: April 07, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »
Watching last night’s Atlanta. Is Stevie Womder’s Sweet Little Girl about banging little girls?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14987 on: April 07, 2018, 01:35:18 AM »
Man, I wish Legion was Netflix or something. I might just have to hold out so I can binge

Weird, Legion /is/ on Netflix in Japan. I think it's even doing s2 stuff already.

TVC15

« Reply #14988 on: April 07, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
Oh, that new Atlanta ep was excellent. This season (so far) feels a bit less even than the first season, but this episode delivered.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14989 on: April 07, 2018, 10:22:11 AM »
Watched 10 mins of ep 1 and bailed, going to wait till there's more and consume in bulk, I wont be able to handle this week to week

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14990 on: April 08, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

so none of you have to watch this shit

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14991 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:46 PM »
Rewatch of Sopranos currently. Still so good.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14992 on: April 09, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »

really like the actors in here, I initially wanted this to be a goofy b movieesque schlockfest, but you know if Toby Stephens has people to bounce off this can be great for what it is.

TVC15

« Reply #14993 on: April 09, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »
Hope some of you limpdicks are watching Barry.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14994 on: April 09, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »
Hope some of you pool noodles are watching The Looming Tower also

TVC15

« Reply #14995 on: April 09, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »
It’s more like a soggy tater tot than a pool noodle these days :(
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14996 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
Oh, that new Atlanta ep was excellent. This season (so far) feels a bit less even than the first season, but this episode delivered.
It was ok, the barber episode was greatness.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14997 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:12 PM »
Jessica Jones s2 is just fine. Intriguing and surprising. 8 eps in, and everyone's worst enemy is themselves; it's more complex than s1.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14998 on: April 09, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
I wouldn't say more complex but its good and I liked what they did with the characters.  I think all the characters had motives that were true to the characters and in conflict with others in a natural way.  It would be very hard to best season 1 or even come close but I think they did a decent job.

Also one of my favorite things is that it establishes that things like PTSD and alcoholism don't just end.  Most shows portray those things as something that a character can resolve in a plot arc.   

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14999 on: April 10, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »