Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082862 times)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #15060 on: May 05, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »
watched the first ep of the alienist mostly out of curiosity and the cast. seems interesting and i'm blown away by the production and how good it all looks

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15061 on: May 05, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »
watched the first ep of the alienist mostly out of curiosity and the cast. seems interesting and i'm blown away by the production and how good it all looks
watch it to the end, its very much worth it

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15062 on: May 05, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
Arrested Development update:

-Season 5 is coming "real soon"
-A remix of season 4 [to bring it in line with the structure of the first three seasons] is coming to Netflix on May 4

Watched the first 5 episodes of the remix.

It's an interesting experience. I've always had a soft spot for fan edits of things and how an edit can recontextualize things so that part of me is happy no matter what.

The best change immediately noticeable is the episode length. Season 4 definitely dragged as you watched the longer episodes. Extra length is more noticeable to comedy for me and especially Arrested Development which always had super fast pacing and editing. By reducing episode length and adding in more cutting between characters, it increases the momentum of the show which Season 4 definitely had an issue with.

It's less natural than how Season 4 felt as the transitions often feel less natural but the rhythm of the show feels more like the older seasons and that is appreciated.

The other most noticeable aspect is that certain jokes pay off much more quickly than in the old format. Not all of them but some of them definitely do. That's probably an individual appeal kind of thing but honestly I prefer the quicker payoff format. By the time some jokes were paid off in the original setup, I had honestly forgotten they were even setup. So getting to the punch line faster for me is something I prefer rather than holding it back for multiple episodes.

It still obviously ultimately has the same limiting flaws that Season 4 originally had, and introduces a few new ones as things are shuffled around but honestly overall I kind of prefer this edit to the original. The original was done for a reason, but I find myself less tired and smiling more as I watch this edit despite intellectually being able to understand the flaws behind it.

etiolate

« Reply #15063 on: May 05, 2018, 06:57:50 PM »
Watching Legion

Still taking its sweet time with plot while it does visual flair. Nice little twist involving stuff I nearly forgot about in the latest episode. Also, naked Aubrey Plaza in last episode.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15064 on: May 06, 2018, 12:14:54 AM »
Finished s1 of Stranger Things, sooooo LTTP. I liked it a whole or bunch. It’s more derivative of Stephen King’s work than Spielberg’s, if measured in instances or screen time. The girl who played Eleven has some amazing talent. Her performance was the only one where I didn’t stop to analyze how the actor was making choices. Winona also knocked it out of the park.

Curious about s2, but I’ll be waiting a month to start it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15065 on: May 06, 2018, 12:26:12 AM »
The girl who played Eleven has some amazing talent.

Yep. All the kids are fun enough especially in this context but she was the only one who struck me as being good enough to have a long lasting career.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15066 on: May 06, 2018, 10:20:24 AM »
The main kid is for sure going to Elijah Wood all over the place when Stranger Things ends.

My wife said the kid looked too weird.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15067 on: May 06, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
Cobra Kai

yfw Daniel is the Chad and Johnny is the loser.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This show just backs up the conspiracy theories out there that Daniel was the Villain all along.
[close]

I've purposely avoided this show because at first glance, it seems like nostalgia dreck but enough people I respect actually seem to be saying nice things, that I'm going to have to give it a shot. I'm still skeptical though.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15068 on: May 06, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
Yeah the monologues in Westworld are out of control. Feels like a cost saving measure.
:9

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15069 on: May 06, 2018, 10:18:33 PM »
Cobra Kai

This show just backs up the conspiracy theories out there that Daniel was the Villain all along.
[close]

I've purposely avoided this show because at first glance, it seems like nostalgia dreck but enough people I respect actually seem to be saying nice things, that I'm going to have to give it a shot. I'm still skeptical though.

It''s a total love letter to the originals it really shouldn't be as good as it is but it works.

This show will have social studies warriors legit shook though.  :lol
[close]

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:50:46 AM by D3RANG3D »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15070 on: May 07, 2018, 12:16:29 AM »
Ok, West World episode 3 of season 2 was god awful but i've never expected much since any good idea the Nolan family had was ripped from the Wachowskis. I'll stick through this season but i don't expect much.

Most of you still haven't given Babylon Berlin a shot, the best show released in the last 10 years probably but i'm not expecting you guys to since this place is a spinoff of GAF and it's not a stupid fucking Marvel show..... eh.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15071 on: May 07, 2018, 01:28:31 AM »
things that just started

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15072 on: May 07, 2018, 01:32:36 AM »
Ok, West World episode 3 of season 2 was god awful but i've never expected much since any good idea the Nolan family had was ripped from the Wachowskis. I'll stick through this season but i don't expect much.

Most of you still haven't given Babylon Berlin a shot, the best show released in the last 10 years probably but i'm not expecting you guys to since this place is a spinoff of GAF and it's not a stupid fucking Marvel show..... eh.

Re: Westworld.

Do you REALLY think there are enough wealthy people in the show’s world that would be interested in living the colonial India experience to support a hyperexpensive high effort robot theme park?
serge

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15073 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:58 AM »

TVC15

« Reply #15074 on: May 07, 2018, 02:53:50 AM »

You’re lucky I didn’t believe this for a second once the voiceover hit. I’m going to slit your throat before even fucking your ass, you deceptive piece of fish shit.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15075 on: May 07, 2018, 02:58:54 AM »

Do you REALLY think there are enough wealthy people in the show’s world that would be interested in living the colonial India experience to support a hyperexpensive high effort robot theme park?
I think they were somehow profiting off the data they collected. Probably even offset costs enough to allow for people of lesser wealth to get in too.

TVC15

« Reply #15076 on: May 07, 2018, 03:06:09 AM »

I think they were somehow profiting off the data they collected. Probably even offset costs enough to allow for people of lesser wealth to get in too.

I suppose so. I recall during season 1, and I forget whether this was sourced from the show or the web sites/ARGs, it was revealed that it was 40k a day to attend. I’m not sure that data would be worth that much or allow them to let filthy poors in. Consider that it probably costs millions in labor to correct the damage done each day.
serge

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #15077 on: May 07, 2018, 03:08:54 AM »

Hyperbolically stating that a pretty good show (Babylon Berlin) is the BEST EVAR and YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD FOR NOT APPRECIATING IT LIKE I DO is more GAF than even GAF. Talk about pot calling the kettle THE MOST BLACK THING EVER.

It's already been shown that

William/MIB are basically underwriting the park in order to gather info on the hosts in some nefarious TBD scheme. Also, I think it was hinted that the park is also a beta for AI development.
[close]

I can't believe you people are sour on WW - I was ok with the premiere, but my jaw has been on the floor the last two episodes.
___

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15078 on: May 07, 2018, 03:14:20 AM »

You’re lucky I didn’t believe this for a second once the voiceover hit. I’m going to slit your throat before even fucking your ass, you deceptive piece of fish shit.

I would push you down and you would break your hip gramps.

There is a Witcher tv series being made,  I am sure they will make Geralt a black woman though.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:44:12 AM by D3RANG3D »

TVC15

« Reply #15079 on: May 07, 2018, 03:15:08 AM »

Hyperbolically stating that a pretty good show (Babylon Berlin) is the BEST EVAR and YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD FOR NOT APPRECIATING IT LIKE I DO is more GAF than even GAF. Talk about pot calling the kettle THE MOST BLACK THING EVER.

It's already been shown that

William/MIB are basically underwriting the park in order to gather info on the hosts in some nefarious TBD scheme. Also, I think it was hinted that the park is also a beta for AI development.
[close]

I can't believe you people are sour on WW - I was ok with the premiere, but my jaw has been on the floor the last two episodes.

Eh, I was trying to elaborate on my feelings on WW S2 to Steve Contra last night. In short, I think I’ll probably be fine in another ep or two, but the start of the season started way too fast and busy. They needed at least one episode of setup to refamiliarize people to the show. The premiere should have focused on the immediate aftermath of the finale’s events, not on shit that happened then, ten days later, and earlier than any events in season one.

I’m beginning to agree with people that think for Jon Nolan, “deep plot” simply means “obfuscatedly nonlinear.” Now that we know his trick, it’s not clever, it’s just cheap.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #15080 on: May 07, 2018, 03:27:14 AM »
Also, fuck Westworld, Barry is the HBO show to be watching right now. Tonight it ascended from “great” to “almost must see.”

I need to write a full on Westworld rant. That was my favorite movie as a kid. When Jurassic Park came out, I was like 13 and I was a poindexter bitch talking about how Crichton plagiarized his own movie. Nolans were a terrible pick to do decent sci-fi.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15081 on: May 07, 2018, 03:30:15 AM »
wrong thread

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15082 on: May 07, 2018, 03:54:46 AM »
Cobra Kai

[close]

It''s a total love letter to the originals it really shouldn"t be as good as it is but it works.

This show will have social studies warriors legit shook though.  :lol
[close]

I watched the first two episodes of it. It's fine. It's okay. Its not as good as I had been led to believe maybe but I certainly watch worse shows so I'm not gonna bitch about it. It's made for a super specific niche of people who grew up with the original movie and that makes sense. I'll eventually get around to finishing up the season.

I'd compare it to the Army of Darkness show. (whatever the Evil Dead show was called. I forgot.)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15083 on: May 07, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »
Also, fuck Westworld, Barry is the HBO show to be watching right now. Tonight it ascended from “great” to “almost must see.”

I need to write a full on Westworld rant. That was my favorite movie as a kid. When Jurassic Park came out, I was like 13 and I was a poindexter bitch talking about how Crichton plagiarized his own movie. Nolans were a terrible pick to do decent sci-fi.

TVC i'm not gay but i'll plug your mouth with my dick if I have to.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15084 on: May 07, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #15085 on: May 07, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #15086 on: May 07, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
watch it to the end, its very much worth it
yeah i got completely hooked and binged the whole thing. loved it overall and like it doesn't leave itself obviously open to a second season. ofc, now i want mindhunters s2 all the more!

jorma

« Reply #15087 on: May 07, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »

I hope i'm wrong but something tells me this will be more like s4 than s1-3. I think the magic is gone.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15088 on: May 07, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
I doubt it will be as good as seasons 1-3. Few things are. But I don't think better than Season 4 is unreasonable after getting feedback on the parts of Season 4 that people didn't like.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #15089 on: May 07, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
Someone found a link to the trailer:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15090 on: May 07, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
I doubt it will be as good as seasons 1-3. Few things are. But I don't think better than Season 4 is unreasonable after getting feedback on the parts of Season 4 that people didn't like.

Season 4's biggest problem was not having all the cast together at the same time, which isn't going to be an issue with season 5. Just based on that alone, I think it's going to be just fine.
dog

etiolate

« Reply #15091 on: May 07, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
Westworld

I am getting confused with Dolores' character at this point. You're lead to believe she develops a self-awareness and maybe an intelligent conscience, but then she goes on a rampage. Was she was written to do so? Is that her self-awareness or meddling? Then she sees daddy again and the past narrative all matters. The same thing is happening with Maeve, but she appears more clear cut in her choice making.

If some of these hosts are supposed to becoming a lifeform, most of them are not really getting to that point. That act of becoming seems to reside on Dolores, but she's not convincing me of that feat. Maeve got increased intelligence and free will. She decides to leave, then realizes she's still connected to that child host and goes back. Dolores is all over the place in comparison to that.

Ep 3 also had no William, which only weakens the episode. I didn't have a problem with India World. It still represents a part of human existence forbidden in the modern world. I don't think it's good for the story to add yet another character. I forgot entirely about Daddy Abernathy before this episode.

TVC15

« Reply #15092 on: May 07, 2018, 11:53:46 PM »
serge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15093 on: May 08, 2018, 12:09:58 AM »
Lol that's what, literally the fifth thing he's bounced from in the last few years? I get that he's got his hands in a million different things but jesus how many projects can one man bail on?

etiolate

« Reply #15094 on: May 08, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »
Barry is good. I love the early addition of Taylor.

Hope they don't kill him.
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #15095 on: May 08, 2018, 12:36:04 AM »
Barry is good. I love the early addition of Taylor.

Hope they don't kill him.
[close]

Newest episode is the best one so far. I hope the show catches on and gets another season.
serge

etiolate

« Reply #15096 on: May 08, 2018, 01:17:36 AM »
I just watched it. God damn you.

etiolate

« Reply #15097 on: May 08, 2018, 01:43:56 AM »
And, yes, episode 7 is very good.

Should get some sort of nod. The show works because of the premise and the character of Barry.

TVC15

« Reply #15098 on: May 08, 2018, 01:48:28 AM »
Yeah, Bill Hader is great in it. Henry Winkler, too, but he’s fantastic in everything.
serge

etiolate

« Reply #15099 on: May 08, 2018, 01:53:14 AM »
Stephen Root is good as well. Normally he's stuck with comedic foil roles, but he's rather dark in this.

You got to appreciate the hate/love relationship the series has with acting.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15100 on: May 08, 2018, 03:45:14 AM »
When they cut to Barry's scene partner doing Gary Oldman from True Romance I lost it. Show is really good, I think the scenes with Henry Winkler hitting on the detective are my favorite so far. I hope it gets another season too, though the way it's going so far it makes me wonder where they would go with it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15101 on: May 08, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
Wrinkler: oh I see youre still in it...

*Hader throws chair*

*Wrinkler flees the room*
:9

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15102 on: May 08, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »
I'm lowkey hyped for the pizza bomber documentary that's coming out on Netflix this week, Evil Genius. That shit was crazy.
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15103 on: May 08, 2018, 01:17:05 PM »

:thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15104 on: May 08, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »

this music  :ohyeah

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15105 on: May 08, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
Westworld

I am getting confused with Dolores' character at this point. You're lead to believe she develops a self-awareness and maybe an intelligent conscience, but then she goes on a rampage. Was she was written to do so? Is that her self-awareness or meddling? Then she sees daddy again and the past narrative all matters. The same thing is happening with Maeve, but she appears more clear cut in her choice making.

If some of these hosts are supposed to becoming a lifeform, most of them are not really getting to that point. That act of becoming seems to reside on Dolores, but she's not convincing me of that feat. Maeve got increased intelligence and free will. She decides to leave, then realizes she's still connected to that child host and goes back. Dolores is all over the place in comparison to that.

Ep 3 also had no William, which only weakens the episode. I didn't have a problem with India World. It still represents a part of human existence forbidden in the modern world. I don't think it's good for the story to add yet another character. I forgot entirely about Daddy Abernathy before this episode.

It's hard to tell the exact purpose of the massacre. Maybe to kill some of the soldiers so they can be replaced with replicants? Or slow them down to reach the "weapon" they talked about last ep? Maybe she just wanted to kill some of the hosts, as Dolores seems to see hosts who have been programmed to be 'villains' as not worth helping escape the park. Even though she and her posse are aware they live in a fake reality, they still see the memories they have before awakening as legitimate, and therefore they see the villains as actual villains.

The massacre was also the first example of the self-aware hosts outperformimg the human race tactically. That battle was like their call to independance, because while the massacre at Ford's party was arranged by Ford, this battle was a conscious choice by Dolores.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #15106 on: May 08, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
___

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15107 on: May 09, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
Yknow, the India world reveal on Westworld is lame as fuck. Presumably this is taking place decades in the future, right? What media has ever romanticized that era and setting to the point where a century and a half later well-to-do 30 somethings would pick that over getting to cut peoples heads off with swords or have shootouts with bad guys?

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15109 on: May 09, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »
what happened to that rachel wood bitch? she was a hotty in the wrestler. now her face is all filled in and gross  :yuck

TVC15

« Reply #15110 on: May 09, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »
what happened to that rachel wood bitch? she was a hotty in the wrestler. now her face is all filled in and gross  :yuck

Tragically, she turned 30 last year. She’s doing what she can to salvage her career before she turns into a droopy cellulite monster.
serge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15111 on: May 09, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »
Some of you fuckers get weirder by the minute.

TVC15

« Reply #15112 on: May 09, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »
Some of you fuckers get weirder by the minute.

I’m not the one behind Hollywood’s excessive beauty standards. I’d be all for her getting ugly while still having an acting career. Unfortunately, as a woman in the industry, she’ll be lucky to get a gig as a grog wench at Medieval Times in 10 more years. 
serge

etiolate

« Reply #15113 on: May 09, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »
Legion

Chapter 14

I am critical of how much audience patience this show wastes on visual riffs that do not serve any other part of the show. This episode looked like one of those artsy wankeries, but it actually ties it all together as a character piece reflecting David's grief and his powers.

TVC15

« Reply #15114 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:42 PM »
‘Barry’: Bill Hader Says Season 2 Will Be Darker
 http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/barry-season-2-bill-hader-hbo-emmys-1201962095/
serge

etiolate

« Reply #15115 on: May 09, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »
Interesting about the laptop. It was a product of Barry's awkwardness and fantasy. When I saw that episode, I thought the toxic masculinity line was meant to be a joke. Barry has no masculinity, as the show makes a point of how he can't stand up to anyone and is basically a pet. Now I'm wondering if that line was supposed to be taken seriously.

TVC15

« Reply #15116 on: May 09, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »
Interesting about the laptop. It was a product of Barry's awkwardness and fantasy. When I saw that episode, I thought the toxic masculinity line was meant to be a joke. Barry has no masculinity, as the show makes a point of how he can't stand up to anyone and is basically a pet. Now I'm wondering if that line was supposed to be taken seriously.

I liked them pointing out that Sally’s response to the agent’s proposition came from the women that work on the show. If I were writing that scene, I wouldn’t have thought of having her apologize, but in execution on the show, it’s so perfect.
serge

etiolate

« Reply #15117 on: May 09, 2018, 09:23:59 PM »
Yeah it made sense and it eventually pays off at the try out.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15118 on: May 10, 2018, 01:12:13 AM »

starts today

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #15119 on: May 10, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
Man that recut Arrested Development Season 4 is so, SO much better. Like laugh out loud funny.
rub