Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 208958 times)

Tasty

Re: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2020, 12:58:13 PM »
LEIF IS COMING BACK IN A LATE APRIL UPDATE 😭😭😭

Edit-

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1243202094732992512

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2020, 01:36:04 PM »
Coelcanth you say?  8)

___

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
Still hasn’t rained at my place! can’t really do anything either but tomorrow I’ll have the sisters and my community center!

Dickie Dee

« Reply #843 on: March 26, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »
Does the oarfish or Marlin have a fin Like the sharks/big fish in NL?

Watch for yourself  :-[

https://twitter.com/Marrk24809351/status/1243235157009510400

(I mashed the capture button and took a movie instead of a screenshot)
___

Himu

« Reply #844 on: March 26, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
Damn. In NL that would have been a larger fish silhouette :o
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #845 on: March 26, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
Still hasn’t rained at my place! can’t really do anything either but tomorrow I’ll have the sisters and my community center!

The Able Sisters are the last piece before it feels like a full normal AC game to me lol. I think she has to show up three times and she's only been to my town twice so far.

That said my Campground is getting build tomorrow! And I need like 200k but I officially have my second bridge in development too! It's in a super critical spot, this bridge is gonna be like a reverse Panama Canal for my island. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #846 on: March 26, 2020, 02:43:09 PM »

Hello!

Welcome to Ohana Isle. :heart

Himu

« Reply #847 on: March 26, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »
I can't create my custom clothes without a stylus. I'll have to find my 3ds and use its stylus instead. Damn Switch doesn't come with one.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #848 on: March 26, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
I can't create my custom clothes without a stylus. I'll have to find my 3ds and use its stylus instead. Damn Switch doesn't come with one.

I tried transferring mine from New Leaf but it was locked. :maf :(

So I just made a new version in GIMP with updated colors (same colors as Dodo Airlines now :3), and used acpatterns.com and NookLink to get it into the game.

Tasty

« Reply #849 on: March 26, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »
For the record, the custom pattern editor does not (yet) support touch controls.

Bebpo

« Reply #850 on: March 26, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
So I've played a couple nights for like 30-40 mins and have a fishing rod and net and 2 people on an island and all I can do is catch bugs, try to catch fish (I need a fishing guide I don't understand how the fishing mini-game works here and haven't caught anything) and pick up some stuff. Oh and I just made an axe so I can craft more. Meanwhile have about 1700 nook points and need 5000 to advance I guess?

Since this is my first AC game:

-Is the game progression loop just "here is how many nook points you need to advance to the next stage which opens up more gameplay to do" -> "do what you can do daily to save up and turn in until you hit the nook points goal" -> repeat back to the start part?

-Has AC always mostly been a crafting game where you go and get mats and craft stuff? Not a big fan of the survival crafting genre, so dunno how long I'll stick with this.

Bebpo

« Reply #851 on: March 26, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »
And another question:

-So you can "talk" via text entry. But this is a single player game, right? So you can only talk to AIs. Do the AIs have some type of bot AI to actually react to things you say or messages you write on the town board? Otherwise I don't understand what the point of talking/messages are.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #852 on: March 26, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »
When the fish takes the float under the water, hit A.

See here
https://twitter.com/Marrk24809351/status/1243235157009510400
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #853 on: March 26, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #854 on: March 26, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »
Yeah, playing portable there’s a lot of touch you would have thought they’d do but they didn’t

Tasty

« Reply #855 on: March 26, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »
And another question:

-So you can "talk" via text entry. But this is a single player game, right? So you can only talk to AIs. Do the AIs have some type of bot AI to actually react to things you say or messages you write on the town board? Otherwise I don't understand what the point of talking/messages are.

"Talking" via the keyboard/Zr is purely for multiplayer.

The town message board could, based on past entries, have official announcements "written by" Nook/Isabelle/etc., but it's rare one of the villagers writes on it. (Not even sure they could in New Leaf; in GameCube they'd post stuff like "Buried a treasure in acre B2.") That said, I think it's possible that when interacting with your villagers, they bring up something posted on the message board.

"Chatting" to villagers (walking up to them and pressing A), and then choosing various dialog options is the primary interaction method with AI villagers.

However, you can send them postcards, and there is a text analysis algorithm on letters sent to villagers. If you fill a letter with "happy" words, the villager will like it, but if there are a lot of "bad" words, the villager might take it negatively. They'll also react to presents you get them, and write you their own postcards. Postcards you write might be presented by that villager to real people visiting your village, so be careful what you write! :3

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #856 on: March 26, 2020, 04:14:48 PM »
Bebps it’s online multiplayer Lolol

Himu

« Reply #857 on: March 26, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »

So I just made a new version in GIMP with updated colors (same colors as Dodo Airlines now :3), and used acpatterns.com and NookLink to get it into the game.

You can transfer things from New Leaf in this?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #858 on: March 26, 2020, 04:20:36 PM »
For the record, the custom pattern editor does not (yet) support touch controls.

UGH

guess i'll learn
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #859 on: March 26, 2020, 04:23:08 PM »
So I've played a couple nights for like 30-40 mins and have a fishing rod and net and 2 people on an island and all I can do is catch bugs, try to catch fish (I need a fishing guide I don't understand how the fishing mini-game works here and haven't caught anything) and pick up some stuff. Oh and I just made an axe so I can craft more. Meanwhile have about 1700 nook points and need 5000 to advance I guess?

-Is the game progression loop just "here is how many nook points you need to advance to the next stage which opens up more gameplay to do" -> "do what you can do daily to save up and turn in until you hit the nook points goal" -> repeat back to the start part?

-Has AC always mostly been a crafting game where you go and get mats and craft stuff? Not a big fan of the survival crafting genre, so dunno how long I'll stick with this.

Fishing:

never look at the fish.

Listen to the sound. Either close your eyes or look at your character or some random thing like a tree or a villager and listen to the bobs. Watching the fish will always give anxiety, even to me - a vet - and make you prematurely pull the reel in anticipation. Just listen instead. When catching sharks in NL and other games I would just close my eyes and listen for the pull on the reel and treat it like some meditation game.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #860 on: March 26, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »

Welcome to Animal Crossing! :heartbeat

Early part of the game is very Nook Miles-centric. Basically what they did is make the first week or so a tutorial with 2-3 different segments gated by Nook Miles. Eventually, once you have all your houses built and Resident Services upgraded, it becomes a "normal" AC game with some tweaks.

The game loop at that point is gain bells and Miles, and convert those into the various goals you've given yourself to accomplish. For me this is upgrading my house by paying my mortgage, buying new furniture sets and things to craft to customize my house and island, and build various expensive public works such as bridges and ramps. The museum is also a gameplay loop unto itself.

No, it's new to this game. However, the rationalization given in an interview the developers gave in the Washington Post makes sense. Basically, since AC is real-time, and shops close for the night, people who played later (or early before the shops opened) were kinda screwed. The last game had a bandaid solution, but by introducing crafting, players can create their own tools and furniture without the need for a shop. They can gather resources on their own island, or spend Nook Miles to scavenge them elsewhere. And if a player doesn't have Nook Miles, there's a bottomless series of tasks that can be grinded for them.

Where as past Animal Crossing games truly did run out of things to do after a certain point, that doesn't seem to be the case here. It's still open-ended, you're defining your own goals, but you're never lacking for clear progression either. I'd suggest sticking with it, as crafting does get slightly more optional (if you want it to) after a certain point, and while I was a crafting skeptic too, I've been convinced by the implementation here.

Fifstar

« Reply #861 on: March 26, 2020, 04:26:29 PM »
So I bought this. Should I start on my own or is it more fun to start wih other people from the go? Or is it more of a I show you my cool island kind of thing?

And should I go in blin or is it better to read up on stuff?
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #862 on: March 26, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »

Yup. The Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app has a new ACNH zone, and it has a QR code scanner that will let you import New Leaf and Happy Home Designer (and acpatterns.com...) custom patterns. :D You can then download it into your game by pressing Plus inside the Custom Designs app.

Bummer is you have to send and download each pattern one at a time.

Himu

« Reply #863 on: March 26, 2020, 04:29:23 PM »
New Horizons is sorely missing a multiplayer feature like the island in New Leaf.

Bore gang AC nights were so fun in NL. The island is fantastic for multiplayer. NH's multiplayer is far more limited in comparison. There's not much to do but go to peoples islands. You can't do mystery tours with your buds or go to some island and catch bugs and fish sharks with the clique which is very much a bummer.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #864 on: March 26, 2020, 04:30:34 PM »

Yup. The Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app has a new ACNH zone, and it has a QR code scanner that will let you import New Leaf and Happy Home Designer (and acpatterns.com...) custom patterns. :D You can then download it into your game by pressing Plus inside the Custom Designs app.

Bummer is you have to send and download each pattern one at a time.

I'm just now finding out about this.

I deleted my old town. Can I scan the QR codes for the items I made?

So I bought this. Should I start on my own or is it more fun to start wih other people from the go? Or is it more of a I show you my cool island kind of thing?

I'm not sure if I understand the question. You always start on your own because the airport isn't open until the next day anyways.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #865 on: March 26, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »

Other people locally or otherwise? It depends on how frustrated you get with some of the early-stage gating the game does. For instance, if you were to meet up with online friends, you could jumpstart the types of fruit your island grows (good for making bells), get you tools early you might not have access to, or have items you want to buy for your house.

But playing totally solo is fine if you're willing to take things slower.

Later on when everyone has the same stuff unlocked and have been playing the game for a while, that's probably the time people will be showing off their super cool islands and whatnot.

New players should go in blind, all the media so far is either about changes from past games, or commercials showing extremely late-game professionally-designed towns.

Tasty

« Reply #866 on: March 26, 2020, 04:42:46 PM »
New Horizons is sorely missing a multiplayer feature like the island in New Leaf.

Bore gang AC nights were so fun in NL. The island is fantastic for multiplayer. NH's multiplayer is far more limited in comparison. There's not much to do but go to peoples islands. You can't do mystery tours with your buds or go to some island and catch bugs and fish sharks with the clique which is very much a bummer.

It's kind mind-bending because the Mystery Tours are basically Animal Crossing's version of MMO instanced dungeons... and yet there's no way to take friends. I kinda get why, maybe: mystery tours are basically resource pinatas, and they're scaled for one player, and there's not much else to do other than pick the island dry.

But for sure there should be a way to initiate a multiplayer-type tour and have everyone sit in the Dodo Airlines chairs when they're ready to join, just like on Tortimer's Island. Maybe that's why they're there? There's 8 chairs in Dodo Airlines, and they're promising regular free updates... :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #867 on: March 26, 2020, 04:43:27 PM »

Hmm, IIRC you chose to just transfer your catalog and sell everything right? I'm not sure, you'd have to check your game. :(

Himu

« Reply #868 on: March 26, 2020, 04:56:50 PM »

It's kind mind-bending because the Mystery Tours are basically Animal Crossing's version of MMO instanced dungeons... and yet there's no way to take friends. I kinda get why, maybe: mystery tours are basically resource pinatas, and they're scaled for one player, and there's not much else to do other than pick the island dry.

But for sure there should be a way to initiate a multiplayer-type tour and have everyone sit in the Dodo Airlines chairs when they're ready to join, just like on Tortimer's Island. Maybe that's why they're there? There's 8 chairs in Dodo Airlines, and they're promising regular free updates... :thinking

I'm sure they're working on it, but Tortimer Island was there on day one of New Leaf.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #869 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »

Hmm, IIRC you chose to just transfer your catalog and sell everything right? I'm not sure, you'd have to check your game. :(

Yeah I didn't get rid of my catalog.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #870 on: March 26, 2020, 05:27:50 PM »
This has multiplayer?

How does that work?

Tasty

« Reply #871 on: March 26, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »

tldw: it looks gud

Also slight trip down memory lane :)

Annoyingly they used some busted N64 emu for the Animal Forest footage...

Tasty

« Reply #872 on: March 26, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
This has multiplayer?

How does that work?

Same Switch: someone on a different Switch profile can start the game and put their house somewhere on the island. You're still in charge of most island progression stuff, but they'll have their own house/storage/etc., and you can join each other on the same screen at any time with a second controller. The screen will follow the "leader," but the leader can be switched on the fly.

Different Switches (local wireless/online): open your gate at Dodo Airlines or choose to fly to another island. Orville will ask whether it's local or online and then you should be set. Dodo Codes will let you invite or fly to anyone who's not on your Switch's system friends list.

When someone is visiting your island this way, they can drop items on the ground, pick stuff up, fish, catch bugs, shake trees, send text chats, and a bunch of other stuff. Vice-versa when you're visiting someone else's island. You can then send or accept invitations to become a "Best Friend," and then you'll be able to use shovels and axes in each other's towns, but you'll also be able to send each other direct messages even when not in the same town at the same time (online DMs), and see when each other is online.

An example would be sending a quick "Hey you're online, can I sell fruit?" message, you open your gates, and your friend sells their fruit on your island for 5x its price on their island. Then since they're there, you two decide to go fishing together before they leave. Stuff like that is how multiplayer works in Animal Crossing. :)

Tasty

« Reply #873 on: March 26, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
Also just a PSA

:drudge AVOID SLEEP MODE WHEN USING MULTIPLAYER FEATURES :drudge

Bebpo

« Reply #874 on: March 26, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
Different Switches (local wireless/online): open your gate at Dodo Airlines or choose to fly to another island. Orville will ask whether it's local or online and then you should be set. Dodo Codes will let you invite or fly to anyone who's not on your Switch's system friends list.

Ok, so this will open up later. Will add people so I can play some multi when I get there.

Thanks

Also just a PSA

:drudge AVOID SLEEP MODE WHEN USING MULTIPLAYER FEATURES :drudge

?? I use nothing but sleep mode on my Switch and play in Portable mode.

Himu

« Reply #875 on: March 26, 2020, 05:39:41 PM »
Someone post the meme with the bull villager talking about pineapple pizza so I can show my friend.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #876 on: March 26, 2020, 05:41:29 PM »
?? I use nothing but sleep mode on my Switch and play in Portable mode.

Ah I just mean be careful when you're visiting someone else's island, or have someone over. In all other cases going to sleep mode should be fine, but when using local wireless or online multiplayer, it could tank the session and cause some lost progression.

If you need to stop playing multiplayer ASAP for whatever reason, hit the Minus button. It will have an option to return to your island or end the current session if you're the one hosting.

Himu

« Reply #877 on: March 26, 2020, 06:09:04 PM »
Someone post the meme with the bull villager talking about pineapple pizza so I can show my friend.

https://twitter.com/Bruyvern/status/1241750050356596738
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #878 on: March 26, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
I hope they add multiplayer mystery tours.
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #879 on: March 26, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »
Word, some kind of instanced trip with friends is needed. Give us a fuckin mall or something :) :)

Tasty

« Reply #880 on: March 26, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »

Painstakingly created my own resource map to keep track of what I'm growing. 😬 Blue fruits are a "mystery" -- I literally forgot what I buried, but I see the saplings growing. :lol They're all probably cherries and pears, since those were the two most recent types I got.

I want to have a balance of all types, evenly spread out on the first level of the island. Second and third levels will have the evergreens/non-fruit trees, except for one area I'm making all-bamboo in service of Ohana's upcoming hot spring area.  :3

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I will provide this service to anyone for an easy 100k bells. 🤑
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #881 on: March 26, 2020, 06:37:08 PM »

https://twitter.com/Bruyvern/status/1241750050356596738

Maybe I judged Rodeo too harshly. :thinking

Pineapple pizza is best. :heart

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #882 on: March 26, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »
Nice, might save up some bells haha ;)

I moved all my trees based on levels (bamboo on the highest, then evergreen, then fruit/normie) and my fruit trees are comin in nicely

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #883 on: March 26, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
UGH I SHOULD HAVE STOCKED UP ON NOOK MILES TICKETS can’t even do that stupid town is on lockdown!

Dickie Dee

« Reply #884 on: March 26, 2020, 06:59:59 PM »
I can try gifting you a couple
___

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #885 on: March 26, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
UGH I SHOULD HAVE STOCKED UP ON NOOK MILES TICKETS can’t even do that stupid town is on lockdown!

Tom Nook has issued a shelter in place order.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #886 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
Btw customized my Switch furniture item, wouldn't let me get the sweet ACNH special edition colors, but it did let me change from Red/Blue to Gray. Now my in-game Switch reflects my IRL one. :)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #887 on: March 26, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
I can try gifting you a couple

That is too nice, not your hard earned nook miles! I cannot accept! Thanks tho, just wish they could have stuck one of them machines outside for me lol

Can’t wait to get the community center tomorrow and get the other bridge I need for full beach access without poles

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #888 on: March 26, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »
this is the real good vibes thread

kingv

« Reply #889 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »
Man I only need a few more iron ore for the store :-/. That resource is a bear for me to get.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #890 on: March 26, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »
king which one are you? I’m sitting on a load of it, how much u need? Fly over if u want it

kingv

« Reply #891 on: March 26, 2020, 08:00:56 PM »
I’m Tom/Mr Saver. I’ll swing over now if you are open.

Tasty

« Reply #892 on: March 26, 2020, 08:15:51 PM »
90 stone for a Stone Archway :whew Luckily I'm only one mystery tour from that but still.

Also blew all my Miles on some newly unlocked DIY recipes and furniture 👀

Two windmills and a vending machine are getting delivered tomorrow! Can't wait to finish my New Leaf dream of a wind-powered, 100% green and carbon-negative town.  :american
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #893 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:26 PM »
ALSO

Resident Services upgrade spoiler
One of the bridge options is the "Stone Bridge" which looks 100% like a bridge from the GameCube game. Will be keeping my bridges consistent (upgrading my first one later) and in the style of the GameCube game for even more nostalgia points. :rejoice

In terms of expenses it's also a mid-tier option, so hopefully can do a couple without totally breaking the bank/island budget...
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #894 on: March 26, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
Your budget is whatever it takes :ufup

Tasty

« Reply #895 on: March 26, 2020, 08:24:18 PM »
Your budget is whatever it takes :ufup

Dam, it be true tho :mjcry

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #896 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »
When im done with the 3ds version im gonna get a switch + this game

Just too bad the Animal Crossing Switch is already sold out everywhere

(or when I get my holiday pay ;) )
What

Himu

« Reply #897 on: March 26, 2020, 08:39:04 PM »
How do you build more bridges? I built the first bridge and the option disappeared from DIY menu.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #898 on: March 26, 2020, 08:39:49 PM »
When im done with the 3ds version im gonna get a switch + this game

See you in a few years then?
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #899 on: March 26, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »