Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town  (Read 217324 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town
« Reply #3360 on: November 10, 2022, 07:35:05 PM »
The blue wave is lifting the market

Dow surges 1,000 points in biggest rally since 2020 after a lighter-than-expected inflation report

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/09/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

Joe Biden really is the messiah

Are you guys ready for Biden to end up as the most effective US president since LBJ.  :lol

Apparently an uptick after midterms is a historically consistent behavior, no matter the results.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3361 on: November 10, 2022, 07:37:29 PM »
 :drudge :drudge :drudge

Trump caught on truth admitting to election fraud

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1590850314768375809
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3362 on: November 10, 2022, 07:37:47 PM »
Time to settle this.
Trump vs. DeSantis
5 hour debate
Joe Rogan moderates
🤴

james

« Reply #3363 on: November 10, 2022, 08:45:58 PM »
Im hearing that tomorrow is a holiday so theyre not working until Monday?

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1590876934665539584

james

« Reply #3364 on: November 10, 2022, 08:50:38 PM »
Democrats:

It's raozr tight, every seat counts, life or dead.

Chuy: I quit bye

https://twitter.com/Suntimes/status/1590695229597720576

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3368 on: November 11, 2022, 02:59:26 AM »
https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1590885466408366080

:rejoice

https://twitter.com/mikepompeo/status/1590862864281395202

Fat Mike who spied on your sisters and kids ("Sicko!") with his corrupt CIA is acting tough now but wasn't so tough when he talked to Ali from the Taliban. He should've gotten in shape years ago. Losing weight won't make you a winner Mike!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 04:05:27 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Occam

« Reply #3369 on: November 11, 2022, 08:20:34 AM »
There's a new article arguing that MAGA/Trump is far from over.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/11/midterms-trump-desantis-dobbs-republicans/672068/

While some of the most awful candidates lost, all of them initially won their primaries, made possible by the MAGA base. And after all, 200 election deniers did win their races, and they were elected with the help of MAGAts.

therealdeal

« Reply #3370 on: November 11, 2022, 09:01:17 AM »
What if MAGA actually led to a viable third party, that’d be something

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3371 on: November 11, 2022, 11:57:34 AM »

:sicko
Margs

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3372 on: November 11, 2022, 11:59:23 AM »

Are you saying that Bernie should run?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3373 on: November 11, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1591055661659324417

Trump's just going after his primary challengers one by one  :lol

I feel like he also ups the ante because of all the copy cats out there like DeSantis even Democrats started to do Trumpian like stadium rallies.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:51:13 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Occam

« Reply #3374 on: November 11, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »
Hilarious. So thanks to the non-corrupted court of NY, Democrats were not allowed to get away with gerrymandering, while the Republican-stacked courts elsewhere did not enforce their rulings, allowing the Republicans to get away with it.
So if the Republicans take the House, it will in part have been made possible by gerrymandering (which of course is an incorrect premise, as we have learned here).
Hey, if lying to yourself and others is how you cope with constantly being an idiot in public I'm not going to stop you, I just don't want others to be deceived by the disinformation you like to spread in your service to undermining American democracy.

I quoted a New York Times article. The link is in my post.

Tasty

« Reply #3375 on: November 11, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »

Lol I don't keep track of these things but I guess you're really not American :american

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3377 on: November 11, 2022, 04:22:52 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/11/midterms-trump-desantis-dobbs-republicans/672068/

While some of the most awful candidates lost, all of them initially won their primaries, made possible by the MAGA base. And after all, 200 election deniers did win their races, and they were elected with the help of MAGAts.

They were also elected with the help of Democratic party. For all their hubbub it is politically beneficial for Democrats that MAGA exists. All that wah wah-ing. Nazis! Fascists! And yet they pumped dollar after dollar into MAGA campaigns with the mentally they would be easy to defeat. And this time they were. But what of next time? Because the Democratic Party was so successful in their strategy they won't stop meddling in Republican elections.

So yes, you're correct. MAGA won't go away.

Lol I don't keep track of these things but I guess you're really not American :american

Do we have four actual Americans in this thread? Me, you, Benji, and PD? LMAO
IYKYK

james

« Reply #3378 on: November 11, 2022, 05:10:18 PM »

I work a real job, we dont get pretend holidays off

Himu

« Reply #3379 on: November 11, 2022, 05:21:35 PM »
Ah yes, Veterans Day. The Pretend holiday.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/11/texas-democrats-midterm-loss-border-turnout/

It was an uncorrected mistake from 2020, when Democrats also underperformed — losing almost all the state and congressional seats they believed they could flip. The party’s post-mortem analysis of the election at the time noted they needed to focus more on low-propensity voters instead of highly-engaged voters, who are already likely to participate.

Hinojosa said this year the state party pushed campaigns and county parties to prioritize less engaged voters, but they still focused on likely voters, who they saw as “sure bets.”

“We did not spend enough time trying to get low propensity voters out,” he said. “We know that’s the solution but we have to spend the money to get it done.”

In an early sign of trouble, party leaders noticed during early voting that campaigns and county organizations were having trouble turning out Black voters – traditionally one of the Democrats’ most reliable blocs – in Harris County. Harris makes up nearly 30% of the statewide vote and Democrats often rely on it to balance out Republican votes from more conservative areas of the state.

“We had in Harris County, significant drop in our turnout, African American voters voted at much lower levels than what they voted in 2018,” Hinojosa said.

There was a late effort to mobilize Black voters, with first lady Jill Biden touring predominantly Black churches in Houston the Sunday before the election. And the next day, O’Rourke released a robocall from former President Barack Obama, the country’s first Black president.

O'Rourke's campaign had aimed to win 90% of the Black vote; they got 84%, according to exit polling.

Hinojosa said the county party in Harris County ran strong “Get out the vote efforts” but they were not enough.

KEK

I find it funny how it .mentions Jill Biden toured black churches. My mom told me Jill visited my aunt's church and I just shook my head.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3380 on: November 11, 2022, 05:23:24 PM »

They were also elected with the help of Democratic party. For all their hubbub it is politically beneficial for Democrats that MAGA exists. All that wah wah-ing. Nazis! Fascists! And yet they pumped dollar after dollar into MAGA campaigns with the mentally they would be easy to defeat. And this time they were. But what of next time? Because the Democratic Party was so successful in their strategy they won't stop meddling in Republican elections.

The rest of us are here because we just need you clowns to elect someone who will respect the laws of your own country and conform to some pretty basic international standards of behaviour. We don't care if it's DeSantis or Biden or whoever else, just not a raving lunatic like Trump. If you can do that, most of us will happily exit the thread and have little interest in American politics.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #3381 on: November 11, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »

The rest of us are here because we just need you clowns to elect someone who will respect the laws of your own country and conform to some pretty basic international standards of behaviour. We don't care if it's DeSantis or Biden or whoever else, just not a raving lunatic like Trump. If you can do that, most of us will happily exit the thread and have little interest in American politics.

Biden was elected though.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3382 on: November 11, 2022, 05:29:55 PM »

Biden was elected though.
Yes, but collectively you're still flirting with re-electing Trump.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #3383 on: November 11, 2022, 05:34:28 PM »
We are? Not anymore, thank God. :rejoice

At this point Trump might get third party votes in Presidential elections banned :dead
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3385 on: November 11, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »
We are? Not anymore, thank God. :rejoice

At this point Trump might get third party votes in Presidential elections banned :dead
If you think Trump is finished, you've got a massive reality check coming. Either Trump gets the nomination or he tears the Republican Party apart. Let's just hope the Democrats are smart enough to keep well away from Hilary. The world would probably prefer Trump to this evil bitch:

Spud

james

« Reply #3386 on: November 11, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »

We dont celebrate the people who illegally invaded Iraq or committed war crimes in Vietnam in these parts

:bolo

benjipwns

« Reply #3387 on: November 11, 2022, 05:58:21 PM »
I quoted a New York Times article. The link is in my post.
You find any of those Republicans who are elected without winning the election yet?

benjipwns

« Reply #3388 on: November 11, 2022, 05:59:27 PM »
Nobody can meet impossible standards, breh.

Tasty

« Reply #3389 on: November 11, 2022, 06:41:48 PM »

I work 7 days a week and my last day off was September 7th. :lol I didn't get today off either.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3390 on: November 11, 2022, 08:32:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1591166209466454017

Thanks to the bois for making this possible
🤴

Himu

« Reply #3391 on: November 11, 2022, 08:55:26 PM »
Please don't ever dismiss the tears of an American Veteran jokingly, even in irony. When I was a sixth grade and was learning to play my instrument in band, we learned to play Taps. Some kids played it as a joke, like what you see in cartoons. My band teacher, one of the coolest teachers I've ever had, screamed at the absolute disrespect shown to a song played at the dirges and funerals of the departed. I never saw him so mad before or after. It was a good lesson then and a good lesson now. Even if you're a full fledged adult, it's not cool to play with. Respect or don't speak. End of.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 09:00:35 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3392 on: November 11, 2022, 08:59:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/1591245931151867906

dems might hold the House  :lol

I won't call it but there's a clear path. Insanity.

Himu

« Reply #3393 on: November 11, 2022, 09:01:07 PM »
:lol Oh boy
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3394 on: November 11, 2022, 09:05:48 PM »
We knew they'd steal it to deprive Trump of another victory. Propping up a RINO like DeSantis (who only won because of Trump's 2018 endorsement) was all part of the plot.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3395 on: November 11, 2022, 10:13:43 PM »
Wasserman called the AZ senate race for Kelly earlier today but the networks are officially calling it right now.

Next batch of NV mail ballots will be reported at 11PM EST. Presumably the democrat will take the lead and be on the path to winning. Which gets dems to 50.

Also
https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1591266806421155841
Hobbs (dem) might end up beating the MAGA chick whew, for governor.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 10:30:21 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Himu

« Reply #3397 on: November 11, 2022, 10:33:16 PM »
Man, politically, this would be good for Republicans. :obama

With a slim majority, crazies like AOC have no power. Even better, GOP crazies like MTG have even less power and sway. No GOP majority, no MTG setting agenda and embarrassing us. With such a slim margin, the Democratic agenda (which has been overwhelmingly progressive) continues to have its wings cut. In 2024 I and other Republicans can point to the Dems not accomplishing much with such a slim lead. If there is a GOP civil war as surmised, a deadlocked Congress means GOP are less likely to show those fights in policy publicly.

More I think about it, the more long-term gains that has me drooling. In 1978 GOP didn't get many seats against Carter. In 1980, we all know what happened.

*rubs hands*

I hope this leads to the DeSantis Revolution!
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3399 on: November 12, 2022, 07:55:01 AM »
:biden "How's the count going. When can we expect the results from Australia Jack?"
:hmm "It's just the mail-in ballots that are left Mr. President, I think we can call the Nevada and Arizona races in an hour or so."
:biden "Take your time to count them Jack, no rush"
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3402 on: November 12, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
Please don't ever dismiss the tears of an American Veteran jokingly, even in irony. When I was a sixth grade and was learning to play my instrument in band, we learned to play Taps. Some kids played it as a joke, like what you see in cartoons. My band teacher, one of the coolest teachers I've ever had, screamed at the absolute disrespect shown to a song played at the dirges and funerals of the departed. I never saw him so mad before or after. It was a good lesson then and a good lesson now. Even if you're a full fledged adult, it's not cool to play with. Respect or don't speak. End of.

Quote from: Himu

:trumps
🤴

Himu

« Reply #3403 on: November 12, 2022, 01:51:06 PM »

Quote from: Himu

:trumps

Are you dumb?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 07:10:50 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3408 on: November 12, 2022, 08:43:37 PM »
Looks like GOP may be fucked in the AZ governor race too.
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1591599908037226497

Which is surprising to me because I thought the democrat was making a massive mistake by refusing to debate Lake; her reasoning was that Lake was such an anti-democracy extremist that she wasn't worth engaging. I thought that was terrible reasoning, and poll after poll showed Lake up 2-3%. It's looking like the strategy didn't hurt at all.

Lake also disrespected John McCain in the final weeks of the campaign, which seemingly helped doom her.

benjipwns

« Reply #3409 on: November 12, 2022, 08:56:59 PM »
Which is surprising to me because I thought the democrat was making a massive mistake by refusing to debate Lake; her reasoning was that Lake was such an anti-democracy extremist that she wasn't worth engaging. I thought that was terrible reasoning, and poll after poll showed Lake up 2-3%. It's looking like the strategy didn't hurt at all.
She also skipped her primary debate. I'm not sure it's the worst decision for a sitting Secretary of State who is already publicly visible actually. Look at ours, she just did better than the others at the top of the D ticket and basically only ran an ad naming herself and how she put more services online. Our Secretary of States are always considered to be doing a good job and getting re-elected and that's pretty normal in other states, wave elections are the main reason they ever seem to lose.

You also have to consider in this case, Lake wanted the debate so she could spend it attacking Hobbs personally for stealing the 2020 election as Secretary of State. No matter what else happened, even a part of the debate on abortion say, would have been overshadowed by Lake going after her for the 2020 election. A different candidate probably would have debated but this specific one had to weigh something others wouldn't have had to.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3410 on: November 12, 2022, 09:26:09 PM »
She also skipped her primary debate. I'm not sure it's the worst decision for a sitting Secretary of State who is already publicly visible actually. Look at ours, she just did better than the others at the top of the D ticket and basically only ran an ad naming herself and how she put more services online. Our Secretary of States are always considered to be doing a good job and getting re-elected and that's pretty normal in other states, wave elections are the main reason they ever seem to lose.

You also have to consider in this case, Lake wanted the debate so she could spend it attacking Hobbs personally for stealing the 2020 election as Secretary of State. No matter what else happened, even a part of the debate on abortion say, would have been overshadowed by Lake going after her for the 2020 election. A different candidate probably would have debated but this specific one had to weigh something others wouldn't have had to.

Great point, didn't consider this.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3411 on: November 12, 2022, 09:27:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1591616070921879552

Maybe freaking out over trans people, CRT, Trump delusions, etc wasn't a good idea huh.

benjipwns

« Reply #3412 on: November 12, 2022, 10:05:19 PM »
To add, Lake's been tweeting for two years now about every 2020 election conspiracy she comes across. Wendy Rogers used to be her Twitter buddy until the Republicans told her she had to stop associating with a complete lunatic on Twitter and be more careful about which stuff she retweeted if she wanted to be Governor. Hobbs would have to be able to respond to every single one she might bring up or Lake could make it look like she's being shady. Lake says the CyberNinja's audit found that a Chinese helicopter airdropped in a bunch of Biden ballots that were then assigned to Civil War veterans or asks why it took six hours to count some ballots instead of four hours because this is supposed to mean something to MAGA, Hobbs can't just keep saying "that's absurd and false" because every one of those claims will put the burden on her to assure the public that nothing was wrong with 2020 while Lake can gish-gallop to claim after claim that something, anything, was wrong. Lake won't look insane to people who don't know about any of this, she'll look informed and in command of the facts. "Oh, she got a few things wrong, she just was trying to be thorough about an important issue." Are you going to trust the media to run with "she said all this insane stuff and Hobbs refused to acknowledge it" or might it get paired down to "Lake raised concerns which Hobbs dismissed"? We all like to think we'll shut down any shit in a debate but especially in a timed one on TV you have to consider this kind of thing. (This is why it's often true that many candidates, not just Trump, think they absolutely crushed a debate no matter what because they assume the "relevant" audience will be on their side. See also: their obsession with how much time they get even though every single answer might potentially backfire or only serve another candidates interests.)

There's also how Lake could make demands of how Hobbs conducts herself in this election and put her on the spot. Lake has been retweeting people showing a picture of Hobbs, as Secretary of State, doing her job and implying she's up to something nefarious with the ballots because why else would she be in these locations? Okay, sure she's Secretary of State but as a candidate she clearly shouldn't be acting as Secretary of State if it benefits her. Same kind of innuendo Abrams has used against Kemp for four years. In a single debate on TV it'd be hard for Hobbs to refuse to accept anything Lake demands that could sound reasonable to people who have no idea what Hobbs may or may not have to actually do or even can do.

Normally, I'm also inclined towards debates but I think this, like some of Biden's choices in 2020, was a reasonable maneuver out of a trap even if Hobbs winds up losing.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3413 on: November 13, 2022, 12:36:13 AM »
Well argued. I'm expecting a wild performance from Lake when/if she loses. At that point she'll just be auditioning to be Trump's vice president selection.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3414 on: November 13, 2022, 07:02:17 AM »
To the surprise of everyone no Trumpian candidate has so far challenged the outcome of their race in any meaningful way.

I'm also seeing some of the brains of the GOP operation argue that it is worthless to contest the 'cheating' and they should instead get in on it by also exploiting mail-in ballots.
Which they still think aren't legit votes but as long as the Democrats use that tactic they might as well too.

They seem to be angry about different things.
Most of all Mitch for not backing MAGA candidates and Trump for replacing more competitive candidates with his own people and raking in all the donations.
They're also very angry at the pollsters (who've gone silent) that reported numbers most favorable to the GOP to seemingly gain Trump's favor and get hired by the MAGA candidates.
This also made them realize that maybe Trump isn't 5 or 7 points ahead of Joe Biden as those polls show.

Another example
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1591628614843654144
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 09:19:12 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3415 on: November 13, 2022, 10:49:39 AM »
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1591616070921879552

Maybe freaking out over trans people, CRT, Trump delusions, etc wasn't a good idea huh.

"It's the economy, stupid."

Himu

« Reply #3416 on: November 13, 2022, 11:29:47 AM »
PD's conclusions are inconclusive. Many people across political lines aren't comfortable with the trans ideology or CRT. You had a major event in your own state featuring Muslims just a few weeks ago. Don't dismiss that issue.

That's not the problem. The problem is the extremism of Trump candidates denying things like the election, and Roe dying (which is an economic issue). Abortion and the election results were so important people picked Democrats. This doesn't mean they don't care about CRT or trans or you might find yourself in a similar situation where GOP are now.

Also the biggest GOP concerns this cycle was crime and inflation, not CRT or trans, these are two things you've continuously denied are problems.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 11:42:15 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3417 on: November 13, 2022, 11:45:43 AM »
To the surprise of everyone no Trumpian candidate has so far challenged the outcome of their race in any meaningful way.

I'm also seeing some of the brains of the GOP operation argue that it is worthless to contest the 'cheating' and they should instead get in on it by also exploiting mail-in ballots.
Which they still think aren't legit votes but as long as the Democrats use that tactic they might as well too.

They seem to be angry about different things.
Most of all Mitch for not backing MAGA candidates and Trump for replacing more competitive candidates with his own people and raking in all the donations.
They're also very angry at the pollsters (who've gone silent) that reported numbers most favorable to the GOP to seemingly gain Trump's favor and get hired by the MAGA candidates.
This also made them realize that maybe Trump isn't 5 or 7 points ahead of Joe Biden as those polls show.

Another example
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1591628614843654144

That all actually sounds pretty good, too bad those democrats only exist in his head instead of reality.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3418 on: November 13, 2022, 01:05:46 PM »
That's something Democrats understand better, the culture war will not be fought at the ballot box.

At this point Dave Chapelle could run in the Republican primary and probably win.  :yeshrug
🤴

james

« Reply #3419 on: November 13, 2022, 01:11:41 PM »