Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town  (Read 215655 times)

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town
« Reply #3483 on: November 16, 2022, 01:14:14 PM »
A little late because I was busy with work but

:trumps TRUMP :clap WINS :clap THE :clap BIG :clap BEAUTIFUL :clap HOUSE :trumps
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:33:59 PM by Nintex »
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

Himu

« Reply #3485 on: November 16, 2022, 03:56:28 PM »
Lol
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3486 on: November 16, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »
As a college-educated suburban woman I feel the same way.
Margs

james

« Reply #3487 on: November 16, 2022, 04:52:08 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

james

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3491 on: November 16, 2022, 06:01:19 PM »
twitter.com/MrBeau/status/1592960262260559873
I think they legitimately like when this guy comes and does these. The guy calling the next speaker always sounds so cheery after.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #3492 on: November 16, 2022, 07:20:52 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #3494 on: November 16, 2022, 08:09:58 PM »
Wow, federal agents really out providing cover for this convicted felon's treason just like I did. This is why we can't afford another day with Joe Biden and Merrick Garland in office supporting MAGA.

benjipwns

« Reply #3495 on: November 16, 2022, 09:35:06 PM »
Growing domestic extremism has been linked to the country’s widening political divide and a rise in distrust of institutions. Critics of social media’s role in radicalizing extremists say that misinformation and hate speech spread online is fueling the problem

The report noted that tech companies often use content moderation tools to remove or flag extremist content after it’s already spread. They should change their algorithms and products to ensure they aren’t encouraging the content in the first place, the report recommended.

“The rise in domestic terrorism can be partially attributed to the proliferation of extremist content on social media platforms and the failure of companies to effectively limit it in favor of action that increase engagement on their platforms,” the report concluded.
Peters continued: “My investigation also found that social media companies are contributing to the spread of domestic extremist content that often translates into this real world violence by prioritizing revenue and user engagement over online safety. My report makes important recommendations about the need to increase transparency and accountability to address how these platforms are spreading dangerous and extreme content.”

The report makes key recommendations, including: ...
Create accountability for social media companies to prioritize safety on their platforms; and
Establish trust and safety as prioritized metrics for social media companies.

Peters’ report also found that the business models of social media companies – particularly Meta, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube – have also allowed the rapid spread of extremist ideologies.
During the course of his investigation, Peters found that while social media companies often tout investments in trust and safety, the platforms continue to amplify white supremacist and anti-government content, and they lack incentives and safeguards that would ensure their products are not contributing to the spread of this harmful rhetoric. Despite repeated requests for these companies to provide more information on how they are working to prevent the spread of extremist content – the platforms provided little transparency.
I feel safer already, Senator. :american

benjipwns

« Reply #3497 on: November 16, 2022, 11:18:24 PM »
I think he makes a lot of good points about vampires that I'm not hearing from Senator Warnock. :trumps

Himu

IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #3502 on: November 17, 2022, 03:26:54 AM »
A senator who stops to consider the personal or political consequences of his actions might vote for bills that don’t “own the libs.” For many Republican voters, this alone is enough reason to vote for Walker.

For example, Georgia did not expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. The state contributes extra money into the national treasury for medical care that it does not receive, for no real reason other than keeping doctors away from poor people. Hospitals are closing across the state, mostly in communities with poor white residents, though the most significant recent closure was of a major Level 1 trauma center in downtown Atlanta.

The policy is profoundly stupid. It also hurts more Black people than white people in Georgia, so many Republicans support it. A smart politician would be looking for a policy workaround that brings that money to Georgia. But Republicans don’t want a smart politician. They want Walker.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/herschel-walker-georgia-runoff-stupidity-1234630182/

You can't make this up. Are Republicans the dumbest people on the planet?

Occam

« Reply #3503 on: November 17, 2022, 05:11:46 AM »
New York Post reaction to Trump's presidential run:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:28:13 AM by Occam »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3504 on: November 17, 2022, 06:47:39 AM »
A senator who stops to consider the personal or political consequences of his actions might vote for bills that don’t “own the libs.” For many Republican voters, this alone is enough reason to vote for Walker.

For example, Georgia did not expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. The state contributes extra money into the national treasury for medical care that it does not receive, for no real reason other than keeping doctors away from poor people. Hospitals are closing across the state, mostly in communities with poor white residents, though the most significant recent closure was of a major Level 1 trauma center in downtown Atlanta.

The policy is profoundly stupid. It also hurts more Black people than white people in Georgia, so many Republicans support it. A smart politician would be looking for a policy workaround that brings that money to Georgia. But Republicans don’t want a smart politician. They want Walker.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/herschel-walker-georgia-runoff-stupidity-1234630182/

You can't make this up. Are Republicans the dumbest people on the planet?

Yes, but why differentiate? They're not simply Republicans, they're Americans.
Spud

Tasty

Occam

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3507 on: November 17, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »
mmm kidnapping

james

james

« Reply #3509 on: November 17, 2022, 11:17:55 AM »
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell voted against legislation that would protect interracial marriages on Wednesday, despite the fact that he's married to an Asian American woman.

https://www.newsweek.com/mitch-mcconnell-votes-against-interracial-marriage-despite-asian-wife-1760257

:juchesad

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #3510 on: November 17, 2022, 12:04:59 PM »
lol that seems fucking stupid :confused

Why the fuck is interracial marriage even an issue in this day and age?
(ice)

Occam

« Reply #3511 on: November 17, 2022, 12:18:55 PM »
Maybe it's against the will of God™?

james

« Reply #3512 on: November 17, 2022, 12:31:08 PM »

Roe v Wade was based on a "right to privacy" which isnt explicitly written in the constitution, but it was inferred as such.

By throwing that out this summer, the court says a right to privacy doesnt exist.

Thing is, both the interracial marriage ruling and the gay marriage ruling were based off the same idea.

So these bills are a way to encode the rights into law.

Sman

« Reply #3513 on: November 17, 2022, 12:41:26 PM »

Roe v Wade was based on a "right to privacy" which isnt explicitly written in the constitution, but it was inferred as such.

By throwing that out this summer, the court says a right to privacy doesnt exist.

Thing is, both the interracial marriage ruling and the gay marriage ruling were based off the same idea.

So these bills are a way to encode the rights into law.

Best way to protect interracial marriage is make interracial divorce illegal.

:bluesteel

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3515 on: November 17, 2022, 02:12:31 PM »
We need to shut down the free market until we can figure out what's going on.
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3516 on: November 17, 2022, 02:39:21 PM »

How would you go about proving someone's race anyway?

:dolezal
Spud

james

« Reply #3517 on: November 17, 2022, 02:56:04 PM »

How would you go about proving someone's race anyway?

:dolezal

Genital inspections of course

benjipwns

« Reply #3518 on: November 17, 2022, 10:52:32 PM »

I really think you guys should not just repeat whatever nonsense you've heard elsewhere that you've randomly decided must be true.

Just ask yourself: if Roe established the right to privacy then how did Griswold predate it by eight years?

edit: I mean, fuck, even I while making this post forgot Loving predated Roe by six years! We really don't even need to get into how the right to privacy wasn't involved in these cases! (How can you have a right to privacy when you're asking the government to recognize your marriage?)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 11:18:12 PM by benjipwns »

Occam

« Reply #3519 on: November 18, 2022, 01:33:08 AM »
Benji, I think I only ever posted two or three Lincoln Project videos to counter Himu's walls of pretzel brain Fox News text, fighting fire with fire. I don't normaly watch their output, but those "Last Week in the Republican Party" videos are amusing. All the insanity without the need to expose yourself directly to the brain rot. Are the people behind this grifters? Well, they used to grift the other side of the aisle, so that's the only way of life they know. They aren't grifting me, and I think they could be doing worse things than to ridicule the caricature of a party the "GOP" has become.

Here, I looked up the latest one for you:
You really don't get any enjoyment out of this?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 01:47:37 AM by Occam »

james

« Reply #3520 on: November 18, 2022, 01:48:08 AM »

I really think you guys should not just repeat whatever nonsense you've heard elsewhere that you've randomly decided must be true.

Just ask yourself: if Roe established the right to privacy then how did Griswold predate it by eight years?

edit: I mean, fuck, even I while making this post forgot Loving predated Roe by six years! We really don't even need to get into how the right to privacy wasn't involved in these cases! (How can you have a right to privacy when you're asking the government to recognize your marriage?)

Who do we trust, someone still butthurt that his McMuffin candidate lost, or Wikipedia?

Holding
The Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a fundamental "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant woman's liberty to abort her fetus. This right is not absolute, and has to be balanced against the government's interest in protecting women's health and protecting prenatal life. Texas's statutes making it a crime to procure an abortion violated this right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

After its historical surveys, the Court introduced the concept of a constitutional "right to privacy" that it said had been intimated in its earlier decisions Meyer v. Nebraska and Pierce v. Society of Sisters, which involved parental control over childrearing, and Griswold v. Connecticut, which involved the use of contraception.[6] Then, "with virtually no further explanation of the privacy value",[7] the Court ruled that regardless of exactly which provisions were involved, the U.S. Constitution's guarantees of liberty covered a right to privacy that protected a pregnant woman's decision whether to abort a pregnancy.[6]

This right of privacy, whether it be founded in the Fourteenth Amendment's concept of personal liberty and restrictions upon state action, as we feel it is, or ... in the Ninth Amendment's reservation of rights to the people, is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether to terminate her pregnancy.
    — Roe, 410 U.S. at 153.[116]

benjipwns

« Reply #3521 on: November 18, 2022, 01:55:28 AM »
You really don't get any enjoyment out of this?
Well, I don't even watch the stuff because I already knew these people were dishonest. Everything we've found out about the group and their stunts like making false neo-Nazis only makes them more evidently that dishonest. Rick Wilson is a Jennifer Rubin tier person who used to argue abortion was literally murder and gays were close, was proud of the Confederacy and claimed Joe Biden had dementia who now pretends his constant tweeting of this stuff until 2017 when he "realized" everything he said before in his life was wrong so he can cozy up to idiots who will throw endless money at him for attacking Republicans in markets where only DC circle Democrats will see the content.

There are a lot of Twitter people I choose not to post, even to pick random and/or more partisan accounts with the same clips and information, because their rampant dishonesty is more corrosive than any true believer. If I wanted to make an extreme point to try and force others to evaluate their own principles through interrogating me I might even claim that Tucker Carlson is a less corrosive force because while he is wrong he at least feigns an aversion to outright dishonesty.

You can certainly post whatever you want to, I don't mind that or you just liking something, I was using it to illustrate a not-so-serious point that I was apparently wrong about. I have chastised Nintex and Himu for sources they have used before too. Himu listened and I think does take some effort to link more acceptable sources while Nintex is as always impervious to everything. And despite my earlier stated principle I am, as always, imperfect. I'm now trying to apologize for when I do think the interest of posting something from someone like Ron Filipkowski just so I don't have to track it down to a better source every single time. I know none of the dishonest people have actually meant anything they've ever said about "platforming" and ultimately there is no real harm from someone irrelevant like myself (despite the cosmic importance of The Bire itself) platforming anyone with or without a disclaimer of my approval or not but the subject itself I do find important to consider especially in lieu of my repetitively stated principle of: be the change you seek.

Who do we trust, someone still butthurt that his McMuffin candidate lost, or Wikipedia?
Thanks for quoting stuff that only supports what I said ya dummy.

james

« Reply #3522 on: November 18, 2022, 02:03:53 AM »
Thanks for quoting stuff that only supports what I said ya dummy.

Are you drinking again?

You asked:
"Just ask yourself: if Roe established the right to privacy then how did Griswold predate it by eight years?'

The answer:
"After its historical surveys, the Court introduced the concept of a constitutional "right to privacy" that it said had been intimated in its earlier decision Griswold v. Connecticut"

Intimated: imply or hint.

Stop Himuing.

benjipwns

« Reply #3523 on: November 18, 2022, 02:08:52 AM »
My man, if you think Loving (and therefore Obergefell) was predicated on Roe, I don't know what to tell you. Relatedly, the right to privacy wasn't first outlined in Griswold.

Occam

« Reply #3524 on: November 18, 2022, 02:20:16 AM »
attacking Republicans in markets where only DC circle Democrats will see the content.

Yeah, I was going to mention that it's unfortunate that these clips aren't run during commercial breaks on Fox News.
Then again, if this is merely a grift, showing your output to those who finance you makes prefect sense.

benjipwns

« Reply #3525 on: November 18, 2022, 02:34:47 AM »
That's one of the best ways of telling a political "grift" in my opinion, if their targets are actually potential future marks. I think it's an admission they know their arguments wouldn't appeal to Republicans, especially not Trump cult members. This would be an argument towards a lot of Fox News content too, especially Sean Hannity for example. Fox can at least argue they're trying to serve a market that's not being fed by others I think.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #3527 on: November 18, 2022, 07:26:17 PM »
Well well well, another Witch Hunt
Not really if you listen to him, these were already existing investigations, because Trump is running for President and Biden is presumably an opposing candidate the special counsel is being appointed so Biden, through MAGA ally Garland, can't easily influence the investigation.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3528 on: November 18, 2022, 07:29:42 PM »

:trumps
🤴

Maiden Voyage

• Junior

benjipwns

« Reply #3531 on: November 20, 2022, 12:13:08 AM »
Wow thx Musk, Twitter is a shithole now:
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1593997545734373376
 :jeanluc

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3532 on: November 20, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »
PD's conclusions are inconclusive. Many people across political lines aren't comfortable with the trans ideology or CRT. You had a major event in your own state featuring Muslims just a few weeks ago. Don't dismiss that issue.

That's not the problem. The problem is the extremism of Trump candidates denying things like the election, and Roe dying (which is an economic issue). Abortion and the election results were so important people picked Democrats. This doesn't mean they don't care about CRT or trans or you might find yourself in a similar situation where GOP are now.

Also the biggest GOP concerns this cycle was crime and inflation, not CRT or trans, these are two things you've continuously denied are problems.

And how did that event influence the election? Democrats dominated in Michigan. It's time for republicans to realize people do not give a fuck about this issue beyond the outrage bubble of right wing media. A few dozen angry parents conveniently recorded is not a movement.

In terms of crime and inflation, surely republicans should have done better given they largely led on those issues in opinion polls right. Right? I agree those are problems for democrats. And yet they weren't major problems on election day. And given that inflation will largely disappear as an issue by 2024...republicans missed their window.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3534 on: November 21, 2022, 06:42:35 PM »
CBS also discovered a dosbox link on the desktop which launched a no-cd crack of diablo 1, where hunter's high level sorcerer allegedly had not even learned the mana shield spell, providing further evidence that he was on drugs at the time
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #3535 on: November 21, 2022, 10:04:48 PM »
I missed this but apparently CBS News acquiesced from Twitter? Took their bag and went home and paused posting on the platform? And now they're back? So, let me get this straight. What news org would do this? Liberals and progs are the ones protesting Musk's Twitter buy. Therefore this act by CBS counts as activism. But we need the news for news, not activism. All this has done, even with CBS deciding ultimately to head back to the platform, is show an extreme liberal bias in reporting. As it is, even someone like myself that was a big fan of CBS News for its coverage, no longer trusts it as a reliable news source after this stunt.

The news media adamantly contends that they are not the "liberal media" yet you do acts like this and don't understand why your credibility is in the gutter?

This is why anyone with sense adds Fox News to their news cycle. Bunch of leftist hacks. This actually makes an outlet like Fox even more credible. Here they are, in the time when Twitter owned by people against its politics, and still stayed. Didn't tuck their tail and run because of "differences in ownership" the way CBS News did. What does the politics of a owner even matter when reporting the news on a social media platform?

Leftism truly is a disease. This also shows the potentiality for evilness in activism. A once good cause has no place to go but more extreme once the goals are met. See: modern black rights post-Civil Rights Movement, modern feminism, modern lgbtq. You could put liberal politics in the same blender.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 10:28:49 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3536 on: November 21, 2022, 10:19:41 PM »
being fair, unless they gave explicit reasons, it doesn't seem right to ascribe motivation to it

could've been they're behaving quite capitalist and think it might be monetarily damaging to their brand to remain, just a business decision

could've been a unilateral decision by one social media "expert" who was since fired for their poor decision making, and they don't necessarily owe an explanation to anyone that this is what occurred behind closed doors

a lot of news orgs have hated twitter for a long time and put out creepily lockstep messages about how we should listen to them and trust them over randos on the internet, and many could've just been waiting for any excuse to de-legitimize a platform that has long de-legitimized them
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #3537 on: November 21, 2022, 10:25:09 PM »
being fair, unless they gave explicit reasons, it doesn't seem right to ascribe motivation to it

could've been they're behaving quite capitalist and think it might be monetarily damaging to their brand to remain, just a business decision

could've been a unilateral decision by one social media "expert" who was since fired for their poor decision making, and they don't necessarily owe an explanation to anyone that this is what occurred behind closed doors

a lot of news orgs have hated twitter for a long time and put out creepily lockstep messages about how we should listen to them and trust them over randos on the internet, and many could've just been waiting for any excuse to de-legitimize a platform that has long de-legitimized them

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cbs-news-suspends-twitter-posting-light-uncertainty-musk-owned-social-rcna58029

Seems self explanatory to me. The conclusion: weak ass leftist horse shit.

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3538 on: November 21, 2022, 11:49:10 PM »
I have no idea what "In light of the uncertainty around Twitter and out of an abundance of caution, CBS News is pausing its activity on the social media site as it continues to monitor the platform" is even supposed to mean. They apparently monitored it for all of Saturday and decided there was no uncertainty so came back on Sunday.

Himu

« Reply #3539 on: November 22, 2022, 12:09:56 AM »
I have no idea what "In light of the uncertainty around Twitter and out of an abundance of caution, CBS News is pausing its activity on the social media site as it continues to monitor the platform" is even supposed to mean. They apparently monitored it for all of Saturday and decided there was no uncertainty so came back on Sunday.

"Are there Nazis on this platform?"

The same platform that has the literal fucking Taliban/ISIS/China shills on it.
IYKYK