Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1517314 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread (Durant to Brooklyn. Knicks keep James Dolan)
« Reply #21600 on: July 01, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #21602 on: July 01, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »
Leonard to the lakers..,and it seems like Iguodola will secure a buyout to go to the lakers as well
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #21603 on: July 01, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
will wait for Woj before thinking anything is official rather than "Lakers Insider From Reddit" with nine total tweets :hmph

https://twitter.com/RDAmbition_/status/1145204140995313667

benjipwns

« Reply #21604 on: July 01, 2019, 08:09:50 PM »
this is why Trump needs to be putting Laker fans in camps

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #21605 on: July 01, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
will wait for Woj before thinking anything is official rather than "Lakers Insider From Reddit" with nine total tweets :hmph

While I agree with you especially once he actually tweets something since he's basically the official source of espn/nba at this point, among one of the many reasons I hope Kawhi goes to Lakers is to fuck up his prediction and podcasts tweets. Woj has been basically carrying water for the Clippers for months now because he has so many inside sources there. He basically just takes whatever they tell him on opinions and puts it down as fact when he's talking on TV or podcasts. He is a shameless shill in that regard with a long history of it.  He's always been super anti-Lebron with his "reporting".

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #21606 on: July 01, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »
Lol that’s hysterical
püp

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #21608 on: July 01, 2019, 10:00:31 PM »
Sixers adding Kyle O'Quinn for the minimum, not sure what this means for Boban

but SVG said this:
Stan Van Gundy has been in Belgrade, Serbia in order to attend the coaches clinic there. In his interview with Sportklub, Gundy shared some high praise for his former player Boban Marjanovic who played under him in Detroit (2016-18):

Boban is the most unstoppable offensive player in the NBA right now. There’s nothing anybody can do against him. He’s either gonna get a good shot or you’re gonna foul him. That’s it. People get, I think, distracted almost by how big he is. And he is big but it causes them to overlook what a high skill level he has. He is a great, great passer. Boban can shoot 15 to 17 feet, he’s an outstanding free throw shooter”, he said.

Gundy could also see first-hand Marjanovic’s working habits and desire: “Beyond all of that, he is one of the hardest workers I’ve been around. There were days in Detroit when we had to tell him to go home. We would practice for two and a half hours, then he would lift weights and you’d look out there an hour later and he would still be in the gym. ‘Your body needs some rest, go home!’ It’s hard to get him out of the gym.”

Last but not least, the coach noted how good of a person the big man is: “He is a totally unselfish team player. If he’s not playing, even if he thinks he should be, he’s a hundred percent behind his teammates all the time. You can’t be around a better person. Watch him interact with everybody: his teammates, coaches, the training staff, people in the office, fans, little kids. Everyone loves Boban and Boban loves everyone.
:rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #21609 on: July 01, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
Horford's new contract includes $97 million in guaranteed money, and $12 million in bonuses tied to championships.
not sure I've ever seen bonuses that large related purely to titles

Free-agent point guard Isaiah Thomas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Washington Wizards, league sources told ESPN on Monday.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:08:57 AM by benjipwns »

bluemax

« Reply #21610 on: July 02, 2019, 12:24:51 AM »
There's no way the Lakers clown show front office can fuck up their way into 3 top 10 players in the league, is there?
NO

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #21611 on: July 02, 2019, 08:11:39 AM »
What do you make of that Jimmy Butler thing (turning down a 5 year max from Philly)? He must've hated playing with Simmons and knew he couldn't rely on Embiid to stay healthy.

benjipwns

« Reply #21612 on: July 02, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
Wizards applied for a disabled player exception on John Wall

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21613 on: July 02, 2019, 01:49:27 PM »
What do you make of that Jimmy Butler thing (turning down a 5 year max from Philly)? He must've hated playing with Simmons and knew he couldn't rely on Embiid to stay healthy.

He seems to be searching for something he will never find. I mean if he is happy in Miami then cool, but he has basically walked out of two situations now to be in a mediocre situation.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: The NBA thread (Waiting for Kawhi)
« Reply #21615 on: July 02, 2019, 11:54:14 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

benjipwns

« Reply #21616 on: July 03, 2019, 03:02:31 PM »
Free-agent center Boban Marjanovic has agreed to a two-year, $7 million deal with the Dallas Mavericks, league sources told ESPN on Wednesday, confirming multiple reports.
UNLEASH THE BOBAN

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21617 on: July 03, 2019, 03:25:11 PM »
Mavericks have more large European men than Europe now.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #21618 on: July 03, 2019, 08:27:46 PM »
Grizz did some more interesting trading today:
The Memphis Grizzlies are trading Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter to the Phoenix Suns for De'Anthony Melton, Josh Jackson, a 2020 second-round pick and a 2021 conditional second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Suns are planning a buyout of Korver's contract, league sources said.

The Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to trade Chandler Parsons to the Atlanta Hawks for Solomon Hill and Miles Plumlee, league sources told ESPN.

benjipwns

« Reply #21619 on: July 03, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/KarlTowns/status/1146546439008292865

when NBA superstars are too young to remember The Decision :fbm

agrajag

« Reply #21620 on: July 03, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »
what about when DeAndre Jordan was kidnapped by the Clippers front office?

agrajag

« Reply #21621 on: July 03, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
See ya Whiteside, you sucker

:camby

benjipwns

« Reply #21622 on: July 03, 2019, 09:33:08 PM »
today as soon as LeBron and Jim Gray sat down, Woj would have tweeted out "sources tell ESPN that LeBron will take his talents to South Beach"

benjipwns

« Reply #21623 on: July 04, 2019, 12:05:25 AM »
New Orleans Pelicans agreed to a reported two-year, $14.25 million deal with forward Darius Miller
lol stop it

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21624 on: July 04, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
Looks like Kawhi might stick with the raptors after all.

This is one of those rare cases where I think nobody actually knows. Kawhi is such an enigma and doesn't seem to have much of an entourage that leaks. I really do think he is taking his time/flexing his power in this case.

None of the national pundits really have any insight into it. Chris Carter seems to be the closest to them in some ways. I've gone from being optimistic to pessimistic but that isn't based on anything. Pessimistic is just my default mode.

benjipwns

« Reply #21625 on: July 05, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
Durant was apparently unwilling to go to the Knicks as the lone superstar, and Jay Williams, a friend of his, said in an ESPN podcast that the Knicks’ trade of Kristaps Porzingis this winter had hurt their chances of signing Durant, because he had been intrigued by the idea of playing with the 7-foot-3 Porzingis.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21626 on: July 05, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
Zion and RJ Barrett play against each other tonight in Summer League if you are into that.

benjipwns

« Reply #21627 on: July 05, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
why do you think they're going "full rebuild mode" with all the additions they made?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21628 on: July 05, 2019, 11:39:49 PM »
I was essentially gonna say the same thing. They paid Brogdon a lot of money and even put forward first round picks toward it.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21629 on: July 06, 2019, 02:07:32 AM »
Kawhi to the Clippers.

agrajag

« Reply #21630 on: July 06, 2019, 02:08:25 AM »
and Paul George

spoiler (click to show/hide)
no one cares about Paul George
[close]

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Kawhi and Paul George to Clippers)
« Reply #21631 on: July 06, 2019, 02:12:22 AM »
Interesting. I wonder what Westbrook will say.

Beezy

« Reply #21632 on: July 06, 2019, 02:15:19 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21633 on: July 06, 2019, 02:17:18 AM »
The Clippers have also acquired All-Star forward Paul George from the Oklahoma City Thunder for a record-setting collection of draft choices, sources said.

Oklahoma City is getting a massive package of future picks as well as Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Gallinari to deliver Leonard the player he wanted to partner with -- George, according to sources.

The Clippers are sending the Thunder four unprotected first-round picks, one protected first-round pick and two pick swaps, league sources tell Wojnarowski.

Now we know what took so long. Honestly a real powerful move for Kawhi because they fucked the Lakers out of a lot of good players they could have picked up instead of Kawhi. I say that not with hate. I respect it. Lakers should have moved on at a certain point.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:21:36 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #21634 on: July 06, 2019, 02:17:37 AM »
The Clippers have also acquired All-Star forward Paul George from the Oklahoma City Thunder for a record-setting collection of draft choices, sources said.

Oklahoma City is getting a massive package of future picks, including Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Galllinari, to deliver Leonard who he wanted to partner with, George, according to sources.
those aren't future picks :wag

benjipwns

« Reply #21635 on: July 06, 2019, 02:18:40 AM »
Lakers can pickup FORMER DPOY DWIGHT HOWARD for cheap after the Grizzlies waive him!

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21636 on: July 06, 2019, 02:19:28 AM »
 :fbm

benjipwns

« Reply #21637 on: July 06, 2019, 02:20:45 AM »
The Clippers are sending the Thunder four unprotected first-round picks, one protected first-round pick and two pick swaps

benjipwns

« Reply #21638 on: July 06, 2019, 02:23:05 AM »
lol at the Lakers sending everything for Anthony Davis and then waiting on Kawhi, while Kawhi says to the Clips "yo, want a second star" and suddenly Paul George is coming to town

bluemax

« Reply #21639 on: July 06, 2019, 02:23:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/1147389096651739136

Massive haul for OKC and SGA is really good for a kid his age, but damn if the Clippers aren't going for it.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #21640 on: July 06, 2019, 02:24:31 AM »
The soon-to-be Brooklyn Nets forward took umbrage with the ESPN commentator Wednesday when Stephen A. Smith reported details on Durant's departure from the Oklahoma City Thunder.

According to Smith, in the summer of 2016, Durant had dinner with Russell Westbrook and other Thunder teammates and told them he would be returning. Durant then met with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and the rest of the Warriors' delegation in the Hamptons and decided to bolt OKC for the Bay. Instead of calling Westbrook and telling him of his decision, Smith said the 2014 NBA MVP just sent a simple text.

Durant texted Smith mid-show to tell him that his report was "BS."
lol kd

benjipwns

« Reply #21641 on: July 06, 2019, 02:28:02 AM »
Clifford says Markelle Fultz is still not ready for 5-on-5.
most elaborate scam in NBA history?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21642 on: July 06, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »
Disappointed as a Lebron fan (I'm not a Lakers fan so I don't care about that angle. Once Lebron retires, I'm done with the Lakers) but honestly happy to see the talent so dispersed across the league. I don't know who the favorites are now and going forwards a few years. The league is the most balanced its been in quite awhile which is a good thing as a general fan.

Stoney Mason

benjipwns

« Reply #21644 on: July 06, 2019, 02:35:50 AM »
as a LIFELONG Raptors fan, I am sad to see Kawhi and Danny go, but thankful for his selflessly bringing us a title and destroying the Warriors dynasty in the process

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21645 on: July 06, 2019, 02:38:02 AM »
I'm guessing being a Raptors fan is probably a really odd feeling at the moment. On the one hand that championship will be giving them good feels for a good number of years. On the other hand, it still must suck to basically lose the guy who got you a championship. I can't even think of a comparable situation.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #21646 on: July 06, 2019, 02:39:20 AM »
lmao fuck glen

benjipwns

« Reply #21647 on: July 06, 2019, 02:41:02 AM »
Cleveland did have to lose Kyrie and LeBron back-to-back after winning their title, I imagine that was pretty rough especially since they probably thought LeBron was back to stay at his age

Stoney Mason

benjipwns

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21650 on: July 06, 2019, 02:45:28 AM »
Cleveland did have to lose Kyrie and LeBron back-to-back after winning their title, I imagine that was pretty rough especially since they probably thought LeBron was back to stay at his age

True but I think Cleveland was ready for that. They had Lebron for so many years. I can't speak as a person from that part of the country but from the outside looking in, I think everybody was ready to move on to a degree not because there was any hate or anything but because it just seemed time.

In this case they only had Kawhi for a year and they got rid of the guy who actually loved the place in Derozan. Not saying they have regrets about it, but it just feels different to me.

benjipwns

« Reply #21651 on: July 06, 2019, 02:50:45 AM »
true, Cleveland did go to the Finals over and over, and they were competitive in 2015 despite everything

I posted the Zach Lowe column before but that Raptors team, especially with the ever adjusting bench mob, and them bringing in Gasol at the deadline, did feel like one of those perfect run clicking teams like the 2004 Pistons or 2011 Mavericks more than a team that would contend for a while like the Spurs 2003-2007 for example, I think they could have ran it back again this season like those Pistons did but after that probably not

when word came out that Kawhi didn't want to do a two year deal thing, but wanted to sign long term that probably ended it for the Raptors

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21652 on: July 06, 2019, 02:59:42 AM »
On a serious note think about all the teams especially in the West that are in the mix.

First Tier
Rockets
Lakers
Clippers
Jazz

Second Tier
Nuggets
Trailblazers (maybe....)
Warriors (I mean this doesn't seem likely but they still have Steph, Draymond, and Russell. That isn't a title team most likely but maybe Klay comes back and they still have a lot of pride. Still seems like a "good" team at minimum.

I mean in that first tier I legit don't know who is first? I would guess Clippers or Rockets but the Jazz are really good and the Lakers are intriguing.

Things seem a bit simpler in the East.

First Tier
76ers
Bucks

2nd Tier
Celtics
Nets...(maybe.... probably not this year without Durant)
Pacers... (maybe if Oladipo comes back and is still good at a certain point)

But that West is fucking crazy. Can't wait for next season.

Beezy

« Reply #21653 on: July 06, 2019, 03:14:19 AM »
Rockets definitely aren't first. Playoffs Harden guarantees that.

OKC might as well get the best offer they can for Westbrook and rebuild. Don't let him waste away there.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21656 on: July 06, 2019, 03:35:34 AM »
I'm "fine" with Pope. At least at that number. It's not great but hell they paid him 12 million last year.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21657 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
Was hoping that the Mavs could pick up Danny Green with Kawhi deciding to leave, but I still think they're going to do good things next year with Doncic and Porzingas.
dog

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™