Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 683912 times)

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #780 on: October 02, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »
Despite a backlog of decent looking books to read, I've found myself reading the horrible Wildcard series after they were given to me. I'd never even heard of them before, but Eel had been tearing them up on an old Borecast, and curiousity got the better of me.

They really are terrible and often plodding reads, but each time I finish one (I think I'm on the fifth now!) and promise myself I'm done with them, I find myself cracking the next one open to see where the stupidity leads, like a bad movie that you just can't turn off.

fek

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #781 on: October 02, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
those books Martin keeps bumping out instead of ADWD?

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #782 on: October 02, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
Yeah, I believe so. I'm not sure how much of the writing he's actually responsible for, but he's at least the editor for the first batch that I've read.
fek

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #783 on: October 30, 2010, 09:48:56 PM »
Picked up a few books for some light reading over the next couple of months:

The Land Leviathan by Michael Moorcock
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
The Farseekers by Isabelle Carmody [second book in a series, I'm almost finished with the first]
Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
dog

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #784 on: October 30, 2010, 09:58:53 PM »
Finished Salavtore's newest Drizzt and decided to read the whole series again before the next one comes out.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #785 on: October 30, 2010, 10:03:55 PM »
GR can't wait for your thoughts on Gardens of the Moon. I might buy it soon. Or Wheels of Time :smug

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #786 on: October 30, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
GR can't wait for your thoughts on Gardens of the Moon. I might buy it soon. Or Wheels of Time :smug

Might be a bit before I get around to it, but I'll post here when I do.
dog

« Reply #787 on: October 30, 2010, 10:41:53 PM »
Finished Salavtore's newest Drizzt and decided to read the whole series again before the next one comes out.

Stop at Servant of the Shard, and never look back (or forward, for that matter).

« Reply #788 on: October 30, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »

Might be a bit before I get around to it, but I'll post here when I do.

Don't rush. GotM is the most jumbled up piece of celebrated fantasy junk ever. I've struggled with the first book and made an honest attempt to get through the second before surrendering.

I'm baffled at how anyone could even draw a comparison between the two series (A Song of Ice and Fire). Martin's books are polished and structured, with accountable character development.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #789 on: October 30, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
Keep hearing that about them. I love SoIaF btw

I've heard good things about Acacia
http://www.amazon.com/Acacia-War-Mein-Book/dp/0385722524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288493375&sr=1-1

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #790 on: October 30, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »

Do you like Jane Austen?  If you do, you'll love this book.

If you don't, then fuck you, man.  Fuck you.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #791 on: October 30, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »

Stop at Servant of the Shard, and never look back (or forward, for that matter).

Gauntlgrym was pretty good because due to WOTC's changes to the FR timeline (they advanced it something like 100 years), he was forced to kill off everyone but Drizzt and Jarlaxle.
CBG

« Reply #792 on: October 30, 2010, 11:04:57 PM »

Gauntlgrym was pretty good because due to WOTC's changes to the FR timeline (they advanced it something like 100 years), he was forced to kill off everyone but Drizzt and Jarlaxle.

They didn't die. They're stuck in some limbo. Trust me, they'll be back at some point. Entreri, I believe, should also be alive, since his new "shade" ability is said to slow down his aging considerably.

« Reply #793 on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:34 PM »
Keep hearing that about them. I love SoIaF btw

I've heard good things about Acacia
http://www.amazon.com/Acacia-War-Mein-Book/dp/0385722524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288493375&sr=1-1

Honestly, look into David Gemmell. His writes stand-alone heroic fantasy, so no long-winded series of books. R.A. Salvatore had recommended him to me at a book signing in Virginia years ago, and, aside from George Martin, I've never experienced a better fantasy page-turner.

Start with LEGEND.

Then work your way to this guy:

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #794 on: October 30, 2010, 11:27:05 PM »
Surface Detail is really cool so far.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #795 on: October 30, 2010, 11:38:47 PM »

Never read any Jane Austen, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:32:36 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #796 on: October 30, 2010, 11:50:37 PM »
Surface Detail is really cool so far.
It keeps popping up in my Amazon recommendations, and I keep looking at my overflowing bookcase wistfully.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #797 on: October 30, 2010, 11:51:29 PM »
Despite a backlog of decent looking books to read, I've found myself reading the horrible Wildcard series after they were given to me. I'd never even heard of them before, but Eel had been tearing them up on an old Borecast, and curiousity got the better of me.

They really are terrible and often plodding reads, buteach time I finish one (I think I'm on the fifth now!) and promise myself I'm done with them,I find myself cracking the next one open to see where the stupidity leads, like a bad movie that you just can't turn off.

I've had bad relationships with girlfriends that could be similarly described.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #798 on: November 03, 2010, 09:30:30 PM »
Blew through the first two books of the Obernetwyn series, I might be able to start Gardens of the Moon by the end of the week.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #799 on: November 10, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »

The man is lucky to still be alive. Hard to believe the stuff with Hillel and Frusciante didn't scare him into a moment of clarity, but I guess that's why non-addicts will never understand what the addicts are going through. I loved reading about the Peppers from his perspective, but some of his decisions and lack of self awareness and junkie logic would have made me throw the book at a wall if it wasn't on an electronic reader.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #800 on: November 10, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
reading The Light at the End.  Film nerds and D&D Nerds team up to take down a Lower East Side junkie artist vampire in 1985 New York which means that it's basically the best book ever written.

you can get it for $3 in eReader formats

http://store.crossroadpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=151
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #801 on: November 10, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
Blew through the first two books of the Obernetwyn series, I might be able to start Gardens of the Moon by the end of the week.

Just started the first book, thanks.

etiolate

« Reply #802 on: November 10, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »

:rock :rock

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #803 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »

Just started the first book, thanks.

First two books are pretty good, third book kind of drags a bit. The main character, and narrator, is kind of frustrating in the third book. She's hypocritical, wishy-washy, self-conscious, and just overall doesn't feel like the same character that appeared in the first two books. The end gives me hope that this isn't going to be an issue in the fourth book, but I don't have it right now so it'll be a while before I start it. I'm definitely committed to reading more though.

Right now I'm finished up Neuromancer, I've had it sitting around half-read for a long time.
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #804 on: November 10, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

ever read any Jane Austen, sorry.

+1 for this - it really captures a certain 18/19th century fantastical tone that now might seem boring to some as little was spent talking about how wicked awesome something's powers were, instead keeping alot of things at a distance. It doesn't always make for a page turner, but it's pretty wonderful if you find it's your thing
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #805 on: November 10, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

re-reading this. I've loved his books but never quite got into this one. Giving it a re-read after a stay in hospital and am liking it much much more. (I lightly browsed his website a few times looking for updates on his next book and on the forums this seemed to be in the running for their favorite, which always puzzled me)
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #806 on: November 10, 2010, 10:54:40 PM »

ever read any Jane Austen, sorry.

+1 for this - it really captures a certain 18/19th century fantastical tone that now might seem boring to some as little was spent talking about how wicked awesome something's powers were, instead keeping alot of things at a distance. It doesn't always make for a page turner, but it's pretty wonderful if you find it's your thing

It sounds really interesting, but I've got several other books lined up first. Might be able to get around to starting sometime next year.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #807 on: November 11, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

re-reading this. I've loved his books but never quite got into this one. Giving it a re-read after a stay in hospital and am liking it much much more. (I lightly browsed his website a few times looking for updates on his next book and on the forums this seemed to be in the running for their favorite, which always puzzled me)

Did you read Under Heaven, by any chance? I bought it a while back but haven't started it yet. I like him generally, as long as he stays out of Mills & Boon territory.
vjj

Dickie Dee

« Reply #808 on: November 11, 2010, 01:54:19 AM »
Yeah, saying someone is one of the "best prose writers in the biz" sounds great until you see some of the roads it takes him down. In some stories it works though.

I have not read Under Heaven - I actually didn't know it had come out, thank you for the heads up. It's definitely going to the top of my library queue if I can't wait for the paperback. From the description I wonder if he's going back to his pseudo-earth, those books were always my favorite. (Everyone seems to love the Fionavar Tapestry, which I read first and apparently liked enough to check out his other books, but in retrospect  :yuck)
___

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #809 on: November 11, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »
Fionavar Tapestry is horrible Tolkien/Donaldson fan-fic. He clearly had his training wheels on. He's a LOT better than those books.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #810 on: November 12, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
I'm on the fourth book in the Dexter series.  I'm going to have to make due with it until the end of the year.  Wife and I are getting Nook's for each other!
WTF

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #811 on: November 12, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
I'm going to Half Price Books tomorrow and need a few recommendations. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Cyberpunk [Something other than Neuromancer, Snow Crash, and Software since I've got those already]
-Steampunk [There doesn't really seem to be all that much out there, unfortunately. I'd prefer a Victorian setting [like Steamboy] if such a book exists]
-Stand-alone fantasy [Basically, a self-contained fantasy story, but not something that's basically a companion story to a series of books. I want something like the Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings]
-Desert fiction [Kind of a specific request here, but I really like using a desert setting for stories, like Dune or Hammerfall]
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #812 on: November 12, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »
I'm going to Half Price Books tomorrow and need a few recommendations. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Stand-alone fantasy [Basically, a self-contained fantasy story, but not something that's basically a companion story to a series of books. I want something like the Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings]
-Desert fiction [Kind of a specific request here, but I really like using a desert setting for stories, like Dune or Hammerfall]

Stand Alone Fantasy - KJ Parker, The Company or The Folding Knife.  Lowest of low fantasy.  No elves, no gods, no magic.  Absolutely awesome books though.

Desert Fiction.  You want adventure or survival stuff?
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #813 on: November 12, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »

-Cyberpunk [Something other than Neuromancer, Snow Crash, and Software since I've got those already]
-Steampunk [There doesn't really seem to be all that much out there, unfortunately. I'd prefer a Victorian setting [like Steamboy] if such a book exists]

For Cyberpunk, look for Dr. Adder by KW Jeter. You probably won't find it, but it's the first-and-best book in the genre. (Predates Neuromancer by 12 years!)

For Steampunk I would really recommend The Etched City by KJ Bishop and Virconium by M. John Harrison. Like Perdido Street Station, these books are a bit more "low-technology urban fantasy" than "copper aetherite tubing" but that stuff's for posers anyway. Read the real shit.

The Difference Engine by Gibson/Sterling pretty much invented Steampunk, if you want something "pure."

I've heard decent things about the Parasol Protectorate trilogy (Soulless/Blameless/Changeless) though I have not read them myself. They seem a bit more slight but fun, if you just want paranormal beasties in a steampunk London.
乱学者

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #814 on: November 12, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
Rereading The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and it's sequels and then I think I'm finally gonna read the Harry Potter books.

Douglas Adams was one funny motherfucker.
SRY

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #815 on: November 12, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »
GR if you want steampunk if you don't read Perdido Street Station I'm coming to your house and breaking your moe doll collection.

That sounds pretty much what I'm looking for. I'll add it to my list.

Desert Fiction. You want adventure or survival stuff?

Definitely something scifi or fantasy, not really that interested in real world stories overly. Survival can be a part of the book, but I want it set in some world that's not quite like ours, if you understand what I'm saying.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #816 on: November 12, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »
Gotcha.  Can't help you out there unfortunately.

Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #817 on: November 12, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »
Have you got the Difference Engine by Gibson and Sterling? None more steampunk.

nm, didn't see the last page of responses

Anyway, don't read books because you like the setting. That road leads to DragonLance and Star Wars novelizations.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 04:39:06 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #818 on: November 12, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »
Still, desert fiction...survival...world not quite like our own...it's all screaming 'DUNE' at me
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #819 on: November 12, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers and The Prestige by Christopher Priest are fairly steam-punk as well. Not that I toss good books aside on the grounds that the setting pre-dates Victoria's reign by 4 years and so it's not real steampunk etc..
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #820 on: November 12, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
cohen is there anything you haven't read? outside of the bible

jeez

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #821 on: November 12, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »
Anyway, don't read books because you like the setting. That road leads to DragonLance and Star Wars novelizations.

I usually don't, but deserts...man, gotta have 'em.

Still, desert fiction...survival...world not quite like our own...it's all screaming 'DUNE' at me

Or Hammerfall by C. J. Cherryh. But I've already read both of those.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #822 on: November 12, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »
Desert Fiction. You want adventure or survival stuff?

Definitely something scifi or fantasy, not really that interested in real world stories overly. Survival can be a part of the book, but I want it set in some world that's not quite like ours, if you understand what I'm saying.

If "Mars" counts as "desert," then I would really recommend Leigh Brackett's Martian short stories. Sort of a dusty and dirtier version of Barsoom, more fantasy than science fiction.

:bow Eric Stark :bow2
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #823 on: November 12, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
Has anyone read The Affinity Bridge by George Mann? It sounds like exactly the kind of steampunk that I'm looking for, but I'm not familiar with the book or the author.

The book came out last year, by the way.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #824 on: November 13, 2010, 02:25:36 AM »
it sounds pretty dire based on research

most steampunk, cyberpunk, or anything written for genre first and narrative second is
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #825 on: November 13, 2010, 04:21:32 AM »

I usually don't, but deserts...man, gotta have 'em.

Or Hammerfall by C. J. Cherryh. But I've already read both of those.

If you're THAT into deserts, I suppose this would be your wet dream:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Pillars_of_Wisdom
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #826 on: November 13, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »
it sounds pretty dire based on research

most steampunk, cyberpunk, or anything written for genre first and narrative second is

Bland characters and too many cliched plot points crammed into a short book. Meeeeeh. I might still get it if I can find it somewhere really cheap.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #827 on: November 13, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
Not quite the haul I was hoping for, but I think I did okay:

Count Zero by William Gibson
Burning Chrome by William Gibson
Sea-kings of Mars by Leigh Brackett
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #828 on: November 13, 2010, 05:12:47 PM »
How about the Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

Science Fantasy on Mars
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #829 on: November 13, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
Info on Mieville's next book
    "Embassytown: a city of contradictions on the outskirts of the universe.

Avice is an immerser, a traveller on the immer, the sea of space and time below the everyday, now returned to her birth planet. Here on Arieka, humans are not the only intelligent life, and Avice has a rare bond with the natives, the enigmatic Hosts - who cannot lie.

Only a tiny cadre of unique human Ambassadors can speak Language, and connect the two communities. But an unimaginable new arrival has come to Embassytown. And when this Ambassador speaks, everything changes.

Catastrophe looms. Avice knows the only hope is for her to speak directly to the alien Hosts."
http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2010/11/more-about-china-mievilles-embassytown.html

really like his blog.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #830 on: November 13, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »
I've read the Burning Chrome collection more times than any other book, I think. Looooove it.

I stepped away from the postapocalyptic fantasy briefly to try Metrophage. If you're liking cyberpunk/noir, I think it's off to a strong start.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #831 on: November 13, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
How about the Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

Science Fantasy on Mars

I honestly prefer Brackett's Mars to Barsoom, though they are quite comparable.

Rumbler, you got four great books, look forward to them!
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #832 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
Cormacaroni gifted me with two huge boxes of books from his man-cave in Tokyo. Massively weighted and intimidating, I've started with Altered Carbon and am digging it immensely so far.

It is a little funny though that I've gone from Anthony Kiedis' Scar Tissue to this, so I'm reading Altered Carbon right on the heels of an altered cabrón.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #833 on: November 20, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »
Decided to read something a little off-beat and started Philip K. Dick's Galactic Pot-Healer. It's...interesting. The first few chapters feel a lot like 1984, but more...satirical, I suppose.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #834 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »
Finally got around to Use of Weapons; I had started it awhile ago but got pretty busy, so now I started it from the beginning again. Pretty awesome

i want to have an orgy with Sma  :zelda

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #835 on: November 22, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
I need some good book recommendations. I've been having a hard time getting into books lately... I need a book that'll suck me in quickly and keep me going.

Any suggestions?
:-[

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #836 on: November 22, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
I wish I had a book that would suck me too.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
paper cuts ouch
[close]

Himu

« Reply #837 on: November 22, 2010, 11:34:35 PM »
Does one have to read the Kenzie/Gennaro series in order?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #838 on: November 23, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
I need some good book recommendations. I've been having a hard time getting into books lately... I need a book that'll suck me in quickly and keep me going.

Any suggestions?

what type of books are you into bro

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #839 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:27 AM »
Just finished Surface Detail.

It wasn't nearly as good as player of games or use of weapons but it had some really niffty scifi concepts in it.  There were a lot of characters and a lot of subplots that really didn't go anywhere.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Loved the suprise twist with Zalalwe reappearing for the last five pages.
[close]